PDA

View Full Version : Dance Partner

littlewiggle
8th-June-2006, 12:38 PM
OK guys......Any advice on how to find a dance partner? Would love to take dancing further and compete but I only seem to come across guys who dance for fun and that's it. Seems such a shame :sad:

ducasi
8th-June-2006, 12:58 PM
Posting on this forum is a good start... Tell us where you're based and you never know your luck...

:nice:

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum! :clap:

johnthehappyguy
8th-June-2006, 06:24 PM
Posting on this forum is a good start... Tell us where you're based and you never know your luck...

:nice:

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum! :clap:

:yeah:

Cruella
8th-June-2006, 06:27 PM
Good Luck! I've been looking for years :sick: Not that i'm bitter or anything :tears:

Feelingpink
8th-June-2006, 06:37 PM
Good Luck! I've been looking for years :sick: Not that i'm bitter or anything :tears:Maybe not bitter, but first in line? :blush:

Andreas
8th-June-2006, 06:59 PM
Good Luck! I've been looking for years :sick: Not that i'm bitter or anything :tears:
Not bitter, I am sure. You are married, that's it! :na: :na:

--------

Ask at your local franchise, they can make a call at the classes or in a newsletter. Every (?) franchise owner will/should be happy to see their punters compete because it represents the franchise = advertisement.

Minnie M
8th-June-2006, 07:02 PM
OK guys......Any advice on how to find a dance partner? Would love to take dancing further and compete but I only seem to come across guys who dance for fun and that's it. Seems such a shame :sad:
Where are you based ?

Cruella
8th-June-2006, 07:03 PM
Not bitter, I am sure. You are married, that's it! :na: :na:

Whats my marital status got to do with anything? I only want to dance! :rolleyes:

CJ
8th-June-2006, 07:24 PM
I only want to dance! :rolleyes:

Maybe, when you can, you'll find a partner.:D

karlhudds
8th-June-2006, 10:13 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA i need a partner

and i been looking two

see posting was a good thing

where do you live???

Andreas
8th-June-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you mean 'can' or 'CAN'? :rofl:

spindr
9th-June-2006, 12:54 AM
A couple of partner search links (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Partner_Search-links.html).

SpinDr

Cruella
9th-June-2006, 08:11 AM
:tears: I used to like you!

foxylady
9th-June-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey I'd like a partner too... :flower:

(do I have to say what for :wink:?)

Caro
9th-June-2006, 05:15 PM
since it seems to be the thread... time to get out of the cupboard then...
well me too I'm thinking about competing now and would like to find a dance partner.... :whistle:

Hope you'll find one Littlewiggle :flower:

pmjd
9th-June-2006, 05:21 PM
Maybe time to get this thread "stuck" and have folk who are after a partner post there details so others can get in touch?

For the record I'm still trying to decide about finding a dance partner or not:blush:

EDIT: Good luck to everyone in finding a partner!

littlewiggle
9th-June-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm based in the East Midlands! I've just been reading on the net about dance partner selection............LOL as if there is loads of choice! Apparently, they should be about the same age, attractiveness and size (bit taller for men) than yourself. AHEM I asked first.........................!!!!!:grin:

littlewiggle
9th-June-2006, 05:36 PM
East Midlands x

Lucy Locket
9th-June-2006, 05:42 PM
i'd like a dance partner to tango with, thinking of doing 4 week beginner argentine tango course. then there's also waltz, cha cha cha etc.:whistle: :whistle:

littlewiggle
9th-June-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh wow....a guy at Southport spent ages showing me the tango argentino.........loved it! Really good to broaden your horizons I think. I've come back to earth with a bump though now I'm at my usual venue. It's going downhill for some reason. There was hardly a soul to dance with this week! Sob!

Little Monkey
11th-June-2006, 05:34 PM
I've been looking for a competition partner for the last couple of years, too, but they're not easy to find....

Want to do the intermediate in Musselburgh this year! But to find someone who I a) Enjoy dancing with and 'gel' with on the dancefloor, b) Is at least at the same level as myself, c) Lives nearby so we can practice, and d) Hasn't already got a competition partner, seems impossible! :tears:

LM

Clive Long
11th-June-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm based in the East Midlands! I've just been reading on the net about dance partner selection............LOL as if there is loads of choice! Apparently, they should be about the same age, attractiveness and size (bit taller for men) than yourself. AHEM I asked first.........................!!!!!:grin:
I am really trying to cold turkey on the Forum (another one, another failure, I know)

Could you please explain why the following

Apparently, they should be about the same ... attractiveness

is deemed relevant and how is this assessed - and from whom the authority to make this judgement comes? So if two ugly people enter the competition this will be permitted? That kind of attitude makes my blood boil.. I looked very hard at the quote and still seem to miss the bit about the people getting on, communicating and dancing well together . Call me old-fashioned ...

David Bailey
11th-June-2006, 09:41 PM
Could you please explain why the following

Apparently, they should be about the same ... attractiveness

is deemed relevant and how is this assessed - and from whom the authority to make this judgement comes?

You know, this is a very good question.
Like it or not, competitions are largely visual things - part of judgement is made on appearance, and part of appearance is sheerly physical. So yes, I think it's arguable that "physical compatibility", however this is assessed, can be a factor, because it may influence judging.

Which, of course, is just one reason why COMPETITIONS ARE... ah, hell, you know the rest.

So I can see how littlewiggle came to that impression - and to be fair, she may be right. I'd like to see some sources, to find out who's saying the "physical attractiveness" stuff, but it doesn't seem totally dumb. It may be wrong, but there may also be some truth in it...

I looked very hard at the quote and still seem to miss the bit about the people getting on, communicating and dancing well together . Call me old-fashioned ...
Because that's not the sort of thing you can specify online? But things like looks can be shown with a photo - and, for example, one of the dance-partner-finding sites does strongly recommend you look at a photo before meeting someone.

Lynn
11th-June-2006, 09:50 PM
i'd like a dance partner to tango with, thinking of doing 4 week beginner argentine tango course. then there's also waltz, cha cha cha etc.:whistle: :whistle::yeah:

I'd really like a dance partner for tango, esp for booking for tango events and weekenders as they are even stricter about keeping the balance right than MJ events (which of course is good, but makes it difficult to book by myself). So practically speaking it would make life much easier and also would mean I would arrive knowing at least one other person.

littlewiggle
11th-June-2006, 10:43 PM
Phew! Thanks for replying to that one for me DavidJames! Could have been a bit of a tight spot there. In my search for a dance partner I have scoured every YES EVERY site (well it feels like it) that is even remotely to do with dance partners - I no longer have a clue which site it was that suggested what to look for...... but it does exist. Honest! Generally, I suppose it is all about the total look.

spindr
11th-June-2006, 11:57 PM
Honest! Generally, I suppose it is all about the total look.
In that case organisers will need to start acquiring enough followers suffering from male patterned baldness and expanding midrifts to pair up with all the leaders for the next competition?
SpinDr

Paul F
12th-June-2006, 05:34 AM
So I can see how littlewiggle came to that impression - and to be fair, she may be right. I'd like to see some sources, to find out who's saying the "physical attractiveness" stuff, but it doesn't seem totally dumb. It may be wrong, but there may also be some truth in it...

I wasn't going to post as I dont I dont like contributing to controversial threads. Maybe its because I am a complete wimp and get really nervy :grin:
Then I had a stiff brandy (well it is 10am!) and thought, why not!

I cant speak for MJ comps as I havn't done any but I am sure that the link between modern/latin and MJ is getting more and more pronounced. In comps that I have done before the 'look' of a particular couple is paramount. Many factors involve this 'look' e.g. height, build etc. This, when combined with such things as cosmetics (which is creeping more and more into MJ if the recent threads have anything to go by i.e fake tan) means that the image of the dancers is one of the first things people notice as they walk onto the floor.

Is that a good thing?

No, probably not, but it is a factor.

Thats my view on general attractiveness/compatibility with regard to competitions. Im not saying MJ is going to get as cut-throat as that but you never know!
When it comes to wanting a partner who is attractive, I think we need to define attractive. It comes down to two sides of the coin - Compatibility and Vanity. Compatibility means we will look for partners of the right height, age (if age is a defining factor in competition divisions), build etc. Vanity means that, all other things being equal, we will choose someone we like the look of over someone who we dont. To me thats a natural process of life really.

Wendy
12th-June-2006, 08:33 AM
Aren't men and women likely to be looking for different things ???

Fat, bald ugly blokes who know lots of good moves and can make the woman do 100 spins is going to be more attractive to a woman that fat bald ugly women who are perfect followers to a man. It's the pilot airhostess thing or the footballer model thing or the Beauty and the Beast thing. It's ingrained into our culture and I expect if you asked Robert Winston or David Attenburgh it's been like that since the beginning of time. Of course you get some gorgeous male dancing stars like Robert Cordoba but I would have said that in many competition-winning couples it is the lady who adds the glamour or the visual attractiveness and the man who makes her look good.

I have had some gorgeous male partners in the past and I,m not the world's best follower and have done quite well in competitions so there must be some exceptions to the rule :whistle:

Wx

Cruella
12th-June-2006, 11:47 AM
After reading the last few posts i now know why i can't find that elusive dance partner.:sick: I'll just go and cut my wrists now :tears:

Cornish Pixie
12th-June-2006, 01:01 PM
I've been looking for a competition partner for the last couple of years, too, but they're not easy to find....

Want to do the intermediate in Musselburgh this year! But to find someone who I a) Enjoy dancing with and 'gel' with on the dancefloor, b) Is at least at the same level as myself, c) Lives nearby so we can practice, and d) Hasn't already got a competition partner, seems impossible! :tears:

LM

Yea i know wat u mean, i found the perfect partner the other day only to find that shes already been "stolen" by a london dancer :tears: :tears:

Seahorse
12th-June-2006, 02:02 PM
It's when I first saw kevF and Lory dance together that I could see the merits of having a fixed partner to dance with... and though it's always fun (and a lottery) when it comes to rotating in workshops... I'd prefer to fix if ever given the opportunity - so long as we're both tolerant of each other... and it results in laughter - not tantrums.

As for competitions... well - you can see how far Spicey and Tessalicious have come in a relatively short space of time... :respect:

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 02:33 PM
Fat, bald ugly blokes who know lots of good moves and can make the woman do 100 spins is going to be more attractive to a woman that fat bald ugly women who are perfect followers to a man.
Blimey, so all I've got to do is learn lots of good moves and make ladies spin 99 more times, and I'm in! Fantastic :clap:

I seriously still think there's something in the "similar attractiveness" concept, as a factor. In the same way that people look for symmetry in features, people may look for symmetry in couples. Otherwise, one of the first things people think is "What is A doing with B?" - casy study: Bernie Ecclestone...

And that may distract from the overall appeal or competition ability.

So yes, I can see a case for saying that, all things considered, one of the factors in a search for an ideal (dance) partner is a similar level of "attractiveness". Hence the emphasis on "send a photo", I presume.

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 03:09 PM
So yes, I can see a case for saying that, all things considered, one of the factors in a search for an ideal (dance) partner is a similar level of "attractiveness". Hence the emphasis on "send a photo", I presume. I agree...

In "life" partnerships and (I expect) dance partnerships a balance in attractiveness is likely to result in a more stable relationship where neither person is likely to think that they are "better" than the other.

foxylady
12th-June-2006, 03:15 PM
Now David, you're not fat !!!

I'd love a partner along the Kev and Lory lines ie someone to call on when I wanted to go somewhere in particular, someone to do classes with, someone to have a laugh with...

I'd even compete with them, but I wouldn't want to get wrapped up in it being taken too seriously (a la ballroom competitions), and I think amount of time to practice would be an issue...

Then I guess the sort of people I would want to partner would want to take it seriously (although a while ago I did have a very nice offer for a particular competition which if I could I would have taken up !), and a part of me thinks I am not young and 'trophy'ish enough.... I'll just have to wait until I am old enough for the 'senior' category to think I am still young....

Paul F
12th-June-2006, 05:33 PM
I'd even compete with them, but I wouldn't want to get wrapped up in it being taken too seriously (a la ballroom competitions), and I think amount of time to practice would be an issue...

Thats a good point.
I wonder if the majority of people who compete in MJ comps do so 'for the fun of it'. I know quite a few people who have gone into them saying they are just doing it for a laugh but I always wonder. Maybe, as MJ grows (if it does), more and more people will take it seriously until it ends up like some other comps in other styles - cut throat and mean :)

Yliander
12th-June-2006, 05:39 PM
Thats a good point.
I wonder if the majority of people who compete in MJ comps do so 'for the fun of it'. I know quite a few people who have gone into them saying they are just doing it for a laugh but I always wonder. Maybe, as MJ grows (if it does), more and more people will take it seriously until it ends up like some other comps in other styles - cut throat and mean :)
It is possible to do comps for fun and take them seriously with out being all cut throat and mean.

I know that when I was competing in Australia my dance partner and I took it seriously in that we set a side a fair bit of time to train/practise spent money on costumes (but we had lots of fun designing them)but we also had lots of fun - and where happy to share our free studio space with those who could get up by 1pm on a Saturday

so I don't think fun and serious are mutually exclusive or that serious = cut throat - if you have the right perspective

which for me - as long as I don't fall over it's all good :)

All that said - anyone interested in partnering me for the Scottish Comps?

Paul F
12th-June-2006, 05:42 PM
All that said - anyone interested in partnering me for the Scottish Comps?

Tempted to apply myself but Im too busy unfortunately :sad:

Yliander
12th-June-2006, 05:44 PM
Tempted to apply myself but Im too busy unfortunately :sad:what a pity I have a dress that would go perfectly with your sparkly black shirt

Paul F
12th-June-2006, 05:46 PM
what a pity I have a dress that would go perfectly with your sparkly black shirt

Gone off my sparkly black shirt now. MsFAB told me I look like a sleazy Argentino guy :nice:

Yliander
12th-June-2006, 05:48 PM
Gone off my sparkly black shirt now. MsFAB told me I look like a sleazy Argentino guy :nice:Oh dear! I can't say that I concur with that opinion

but then again I don't think I have meet a sleazy Argentino guy * heads off to find one for comparison*

Zebra Woman
12th-June-2006, 05:55 PM
Gone off my sparkly black shirt now. MsFAB told me I look like a sleazy Argentino guy :nice:

No way Paul, I thought it looked gorgeous :drool: .

Please wear it to Daventry, and if MsFab doesn't want to dance with you in it...

Well, so be it.:what:

Paul F
12th-June-2006, 06:07 PM

Please wear it to Daventry, and if MsFab doesn't want to dance with you in it...

:grin: I looked like the only camp gangster at Southport :D

Just for you ZW I will :hug:

Msfab
12th-June-2006, 06:17 PM

Did I say that?:innocent:
If I remember you asked me whether i thought you looked GAY in the shirt!

I thought it looked good on you - the sleazy thing was only because youd bought it from Argentina!:yum:

Wendy
12th-June-2006, 06:18 PM

Wx

Msfab
12th-June-2006, 06:21 PM

Those malaria tablets are playing havoc with you Paul!:rolleyes:

Wendy
12th-June-2006, 06:45 PM
In "life" partnerships and (I expect) dance partnerships a balance in attractiveness is likely to result in a more stable relationship where neither person is likely to think that they are "better" than the other.
Depends what you mean by attractiveness. Successful, rich, beautiful, muscly, tall, slim, strong, courageous, dependable, honest, funny etc etc

In a (competition) dance partnership attractiveness for me would be :

his ability to :
remember some applause-inducing moves on the day
let me play with the music
make me smile (even when things go wrong)
get a REAL kick out of dancing with me

with a balance/match re :
commitment to practising
wanting to dance to win/doing it just for fun attitude

Really couldn't care what he looked like if I could get the above. And I don't think he'd care what I looked like either if we had a special something when we danced.

Wx

Lynn
12th-June-2006, 08:00 PM
In a (competition) dance partnership attractiveness for me would be :

his ability to :
remember some applause-inducing moves on the day
let me play with the music
make me smile (even when things go wrong)
get a REAL kick out of dancing with me

with a balance/match re :
commitment to practising
wanting to dance to win/doing it just for fun attitude Oh, would make a good thread - what people look for in a a) comp partner or b) practice/learning partner. (Yeah I know there probably already is a thread somewhere).

Thing is, I think there are different criteria for competition partners and ones to learn with (though of course there will be a lot of overlap.)

I would look for

- commitment to practice

- good communication - openess and honesty, not overly sensitive to getting or giving constructive feedback - its nice to get complimented by a stranger on a social dance floor but I would want honesty from a dance partner.

- ability to focus (and tell me to shut up if I talk too much when supposed to be focused :blush: ) but also to unwind afterwards over a drink/coffee.

- patience - both with me and himself. These things take time.

- passion for the dance - a shared motivation - I suppose some people have a desire to compete and perform - I'd be much more interested in someone having first and foremost the passion for the dance itself and the inward focus of all the little details that people don't actually see, but that make the dance what it is.

Really couldn't care what he looked like if I could get the above. Definitely.

Wendy
12th-June-2006, 09:33 PM
Speed Dancing workshops.... it's the only way forward. You dance with everyone in the room and then ask your top 5 dancers about commitment etc. Or Blind Dancing.. setting up people who you know would be great together. Or Harry Met Sally nights.. and the comp winners would sit on a couch at the end saying how they nearly never made it...

Wx

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 10:36 PM
Depends what you mean by attractiveness. Successful, rich, beautiful, muscly, tall, slim, strong, courageous, dependable, honest, funny etc etc
"Me. Me.. me... me... me. Me... me... It's uncanny!"

(Rep to first person to name the film)

In a (competition) dance partnership attractiveness for me would be
{ snip list }

Really couldn't care what he looked like if I could get the above. And I don't think he'd care what I looked like either if we had a special something when we danced.

But, in a competition, looks do seem to matter - or more precisely, appearance matters. So if you want to do well in a competition, you do need to consider those factors. Appearance must be important - why else would people do the tans and the makeups and the dresses? (and the women do even more :) )

Also, none of the factors you mention can be quantified online - which was the original post. So how can you weed potential partners out?

Wendy
12th-June-2006, 11:57 PM
But, in a competition, looks do seem to matter - or more precisely, appearance matters. So if you want to do well in a competition, you do need to consider those factors. Appearance must be important - why else would people do the tans and the makeups and the dresses? (and the women do even more :) )

Also, none of the factors you mention can be quantified online - which was the original post. So how can you weed potential partners out?

Of course the look of a couple matters. But I don't think looks matter that much. You don't get too close to performers/competitors to see how good-looking they are anyway. With good costumes, make-up etc most people will look good enough on the looks front. Look at the competitors without the glitz on shows like Strictly Come Dancing. They aren't all amazing looking yet they turn into something quite spectacular on the night.

Don't you think people become beautiful when they do something well ? I don't know someone is attractive (in a dance way) till AFTER I've danced with them. It's about the experience, how I feel and not about how they look. This, I expect, is different for boys. But then would you really choose to compete with a gorgeous nubile who couldn't dance over a less attractive partner who could spin for England ?? Depends what you are after I suppose.

I don't see how you can consider choosing a partner on-line. The on-line world is a very spooky place as there are too many gaps left for people to fill in. Take smell for instance. Imagine your dance partner had bad breath or smoky hands or worse ....yeuch !!!!!

Wx

David Bailey
13th-June-2006, 10:18 AM
Of course the look of a couple matters. But I don't think looks matter that much.
I agree - of all the quantifiable factors (e.g. experience, location, height) that you can use to weed candidates out, "looks" is probably one of the lesser ones.

Don't you think people become beautiful when they do something well ? I don't know someone is attractive (in a dance way) till AFTER I've danced with them. It's about the experience, how I feel and not about how they look. This, I expect, is different for boys.
Nope - that expresses the dance experience for me very well.
But we're not talking about "the dance experience", we're talking about competing, which is a different kettle of fish.

But then would you really choose to compete with a gorgeous nubile who couldn't dance over a less attractive partner who could spin for England ?? Depends what you are after I suppose.
To be brutally honest, If I were to compete, and were ruthless about things, and were given that sort of choice, I might consider a "nubile-with-potential" dancer over a "non-nubile but good" dancer. Harsh, but that's the competitive environment for you.

I don't see how you can consider choosing a partner on-line. The on-line world is a very spooky place as there are too many gaps left for people to fill in. Take smell for instance. Imagine your dance partner had bad breath or smoky hands or worse ....yeuch !!!!!
You could say exactly the same about choosing a (life) partner; but there's hundreds of dating sites out there...

And we're not talking about making a final choice online, we're talking about reducing the selection to a shortlist. Just like looking through CVs for a job - no sane person would make a job offer on the basis of a CV alone, but they can reduce the selections.

LMC
13th-June-2006, 10:51 AM
"Me. Me.. me... me... me. Me... me... It's uncanny!"

(Rep to first person to name the film)
Aaargh, I *know* this one... is it Groundhog Day? (Bill Murray chatting up Andy McDowell)

If not, then I'll get me coat.

Back on thread: what Lynn said. I'm not really interested in competing. But I wish I had someone I could "depend on" to learn with.

Rotation in classes is all very well and sometimes it's more useful to practise things with different people than it is is to stay with one partner. But when it's something complicated, there's nothing more frustrating than thinking you might *just* about be getting whatever-it-is when you're moved on to another partner and have to adjust to their connection (or worse, they're even more useless than you are, or worse, you're out of the rotation and standing on the side losing what little memory your muscles have managed to acquire).

I love Wendy's idea of speed-dancing :rofl: - at least you would know that everyone there is looking for a dance partner!

Paul F
13th-June-2006, 10:57 AM
Aaargh, I *know* this one... is it Groundhog Day? (Bill Murray chatting up Andy McDowell)

Im sure I've read that before :)

Cornish Pixie
13th-June-2006, 12:11 PM
I'll just have to wait until I am old enough for the 'senior' category to think I am still young....

Dont go doing that,get out there and win the normal categories now and then when your old enough win the seniors category too!Cos you're good enough!

David Bailey
13th-June-2006, 12:43 PM
Yep - :clap:

Wendy
13th-June-2006, 05:39 PM
But we're not talking about "the dance experience", we're talking about competing, which is a different kettle of fish.

True... I'd still want a little magic to get us to the comp though. And until you actually compete with that person you have no idea how that is going to go.

To be brutally honest, If I were to compete, and were ruthless about things, and were given that sort of choice, I might consider a "nubile-with-potential" dancer over a "non-nubile but good" dancer. Harsh, but that's the competitive environment for you.. Yeah .. you wouldn't be the first :rolleyes: And whilst you imagine the nubile has potential (you have NO way of knowing that BTW) you would assume that the non nubile who was good wouldn't get fantastically better ???? So only really attractive women should enter comps then ?

You could say exactly the same about choosing a (life) partner; but there's hundreds of dating sites out there.....

Yip and I'm sure they work for many people. It can be a bit simplistic though.. ie someone who lives miles away might be a better bet than someone who is unreliable but lives close. You can see where they live but it's a lot harder to determine how reliable they are. Re. dance - You can see she is pretty but will she really perform on the day and not freeze ?? You cannot tell. Might as well go for the prettiest you can get but I don't think that's necessarily a competition-winning strategy.

And we're not talking about making a final choice online, we're talking about reducing the selection to a shortlist. Just like looking through CVs for a job - no sane person would make a job offer on the basis of a CV alone, but they can reduce the selections. And as above they rule out the right people ALL the time by making stupid assumptions like young people are enthusiastic. I didn't get an interview once cos I couldn't tick the box about owning a car. I was unemployed so how could I possibly have had a car ??? If I'd got the job I could have bought a car but that was too hard for them to imagine :rolleyes: 70 % of people are in the wrong job allegedly so the system ain't really working (and no I don't remember where I got that figure from)

I cannot become younger or prettier than I am but I can become a better dancer. Sadly a lot of women like me simply won't get the chance to prove they can do well in competitions.

Wx

spindr
13th-June-2006, 06:43 PM
To be brutally honest, If I were to compete, and were ruthless about things, and were given that sort of choice, I might consider a "nubile-with-potential" dancer over a "non-nubile but good" dancer. Harsh, but that's the competitive environment for you.
Hmmm, marriageability is now a required competition ability? :devil:

SpinDr

littlewiggle
13th-June-2006, 06:52 PM
Well where are we going wrong?! It seems there are loads of us out there who would love to take our dancing further. :clap: We are obviously not shouting loud enough!:wink:

Msfab
13th-June-2006, 06:55 PM
Well where are we going wrong?! It seems there are loads of us out there who would love to take our dancing further. :clap: We are obviously not shouting loud enough!:wink:

Its that whole commitment thing:sick:

RogerR
14th-June-2006, 08:08 PM
Looks, Availability, Ability, and commitment. - Pick any three!

Hipsters tuesdays(sadly RIP) was an attempt to provide a melting pot of interested and able dancers but it wasnt commercial. It takes a lot of effort to find a partner to work and perform with. Deliberate meetings to check styles and interests. Unless you are in a major metropolis expect to travel. Back to an old post of mine there is NO Magic Carpet that will bring a perfectly matched partner to your side and take them away after. Sometimes there is work to be put in to take a partner and make a dance couple.

Sometimes there is a lot to be learned from people you wouldn't partner, but still respect their style.

David Bailey
14th-June-2006, 08:28 PM
True... I'd still want a little magic to get us to the comp though. And until you actually compete with that person you have no idea how that is going to go.
Absolutely - the online searching / weeding out is just the first step out of, I dunno, 100 or so - bit like finding a house you like the look of when you're trying to move home. It's only the start of a looong process.

And whilst you imagine the nubile has potential (you have NO way of knowing that BTW) you would assume that the non nubile who was good wouldn't get fantastically better ???? So only really attractive women should enter comps then ?

No, only Evil People enter comps, haven't you been paying attention to my previous 5,000+ rants on the subject? :devil: Blimey... :rolleyes:

Competitions are artificial, they are visual-oriented, and they define a set of hoops - if you want to do well in them, you have to jump through those hoops. You have to rehearse, practice, you have to have a committed and "compatible" dance partner, you have to know what the judges are looking for, and so on. So visuals do matter - no, it's not fair, but those are the hoops.

And, yes, I can certainly tell when a beginner dancer has potential, I think most experienced dancers can, can't they?

Might as well go for the prettiest you can get but I don't think that's necessarily a competition-winning strategy.
Absolutely. A nubile-dancer-with-no-potential, or a nubile-dancer-with-poor-attitude, is definitely a no-no. Which is why I said that appearance is one of the less important factors. But I believe it's still a factor. Don't blame me, I don't make the hoops...

I cannot become younger or prettier than I am but I can become a better dancer. Sadly a lot of women like me simply won't get the chance to prove they can do well in competitions.
Maybe, maybe not. Is it important?

Wendy
15th-June-2006, 10:43 AM
Absolutely - the online searching / weeding out is just the first step out of, I dunno, 100 or so - bit like finding a house you like the look of when you're trying to move home. It's only the start of a looong process.?

Fair enough. I would prefer to go round some venues, parties, weekenders and dance with a 100 or so people and take it from there.:D

No, only Evil People enter comps, haven't you been paying attention to my previous 5,000+ rants on the subject? :devil: Blimey... :rolleyes:?

And you are looking for this good-looking nubile for ...????? And I hope you are not one of those devil advocate types who likes to sit back and watch people talk about things seriously and then skip from one side to the other so that they don't know which foot to dance on are you ??? :rolleyes: Or maybe you haven't done too well in comps and blame it on the girl not being good-looking enough :rofl: (Please God don't let DJ be the Jive Masters Champion 4 years in a row :eek: )

Competitions are artificial, they are visual-oriented, and they define a set of hoops - if you want to do well in them, you have to jump through those hoops. You have to rehearse, practice, you have to have a committed and "compatible" dance partner, you have to know what the judges are looking for, and so on. So visuals do matter - no, it's not fair, but those are the hoops.?

Competitions are competitions. Visuals matter and performance matters - thems the rules. I accept that and do my best and play to win when I enter.

And, yes, I can certainly tell when a beginner dancer has potential, I think most experienced dancers can, can't they?? Yeah yeah just that you are more likely to test the pretty ones right ? Isn't it possible that the pretty ones get asked to dance more and so get better quicker ??? Girls can only get better by dancing with better men whatever their potential and natural ability. If I spent hours practising for a comp with say The Tramp I'd possibly reach my potential quicker :rolleyes: I can only dream that people will come crawling when they realise I'll be an Old Git next year. (Hey girls - wouldn't it be nice to have an Old Tarts category so we could choose young handsome charming Better Than Chocolate types :wink: cos afterall the fact that the guy is over 45 has little to do with anything as guys have a much longer shelf-life anyway. Sperm - eggs story I expect as usual.)

A nubile-dancer-with-no-potential, or a nubile-dancer-with-poor-attitude, is definitely a no-no. Which is why I said that appearance is one of the less important factors. But I believe it's still a factor. Don't blame me, I don't make the hoops...?

It IS still a factor and perhaps many judges will just oogle the gorgeous nubiles (ignoring their ugly male partner cos that doesn't seem to be an issue)and therefore notice all their good moves and not even glance at the others... but I as I have already said, most people can brush up to look half decent on the day - especially from a distance. This isn't Miss World it IS dance comps we are talking about afterall. And is it always the prettiest who wins SDF or SCD ???? I doubt it.

Maybe, maybe not. Is it important? Yes !!! Women who are less attractive might be better dancers/performers and if they are judged primarily on nubile value they won't get the chance to reach their potential or get the chance to be recognised for something they are good at. Maybe the Equal Opportunities issue is something that passed you by.:sick:

I sometimes feel that people like me should just pack their bags and move to Saga Holiday land but thank goodness there are people like James or Jammy or Brady who still manage to have fun dancing with me or even manage to do rather well competing with me. Oh and give me a call DJ when you reach the age when you are no longer "attractive" enough to "pull" nubiles on the dance floor when, inside, you feel that desire to dance, to enjoy and to perform. I'll still dance with you even if they think you are some old creep !!!!!

Wx

David Bailey
15th-June-2006, 11:09 AM
And you are looking for this good-looking nubile for ...?????
I'm not - as I said, this is a hypothetical situation. My point was, I could see the argumenyt that says that "appearance" is a legitimate factor in competitions. Far from the most important - being able to dance well is probably a bit more important :) - but it's a factor, and so it's not unreasonable for someone to take account of it as one factor in the online weeding-out process. In other words, I'm continuing the discussion following on from this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239739#post239739) by littlewiggle:

I've just been reading on the net about dance partner selection............LOL as if there is loads of choice! Apparently, they should be about the same age, attractiveness and size (bit taller for men) than yourself.
(Emphasis mine)

Yeah yeah just that you are more likely to test the pretty ones right ?
I don't and won't compete, so I don't test anyone in that sense. I try to assess the level of a new partner in a social situation, so I can try to give them a good dance experience; that's all I meant.

Isn't it possible that the pretty ones get asked to dance more and so get better quicker ???
Quite possibly, at least in the early stages - but don't try and tell me the same doesn't apply for guys, there's more than enough female droolage around certain men to prove that I think...

We've had this debate before, and it's a separate debate - I say now what I said then - my choice criteria are, in order:

Best dancer
Best attitude
Best looking

And is it always the prettiest who wins SDF or SCD ???? I doubt it.
Dunno about The Abomination That Is SDF - but in SCD, I notice that, yes, you've got to be relatively young and attractive to get through to the last stages, if only because the public are influenced by looks.

Yes !!! Women who are less attractive might be better dancers/performers and if they are judged primarily on nubile value they won't get the chance to reach their potential or get the chance to be recognised for something they are good at. Maybe the Equal Opportunities issue is something that passed you by.:sick:
Nope - I just don't care about competitions. My point was not about "Are looks important in life", but about competitions. Which I don't care about, except obviously in the sense of not being a big fan of them :)

I'll still dance with you even if they think you are some old creep !!!!!
What do you mean "even if"? They think that now... :rofl:

In conclusion, I suspect we're probably agreeing loudly here...

Wendy
15th-June-2006, 11:31 AM
I like agreeing loudly !!!!!

Maybe we should just have a dance and forget all this playful chat :flower:

Wx

onkar
15th-June-2006, 11:35 AM
Well I have been looking for a dance partner for the past year or so, and still no joy.

I'm based in S.Cambs and my local venues are Cambridge, Letchworth, St Neots but I also attend venues in Cheshunt, Harlow, Sandy and Eton Socomb.

I dance between 3-5 times a week. Have plenty of time, and am also looking at doing Argentine Tango, at the CDC (Cambridge Dance Club). Also would love someone who is keen on WCS. No one teaches it in my area, and I have just got back from Southport where I got my 1st taste, and would love a local partner who is happy o travel further afield for workshops.

If any ladies in the local area are interested in partnering up for pure dance practice, with a view entering competitions should we gel, then please get in touch.

Onkar

Wendy
15th-June-2006, 11:48 AM
Good luck Onkar ! :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wx

onkar
15th-June-2006, 11:59 AM
Good luck Onkar ! :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wx

Why thank you Wendy! :hug:

Onkar

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 12:15 PM
Wow.....what have a started! Really interesting points raised guys. A fab debate!:respect:

Rebecca
15th-June-2006, 04:45 PM
Onkar, meet littlewiggle, littlewiggle- Onkar :cheers: Cambridgeshire / East Midlands (Come on guys)

onkar
15th-June-2006, 05:19 PM
Onkar, meet littlewiggle, littlewiggle- Onkar :cheers: Cambridgeshire / East Midlands (Come on guys)

The nearest I get to the East Midlands is when I visit my family in Brum, so am quite often seen at Halesowen & Wythall, don't think I have done any East Midlands venues.

Onkar

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 08:44 PM
The nearest I get to the East Midlands is when I visit my family in Brum, so am quite often seen at Halesowen & Wythall, don't think I have done any East Midlands venues.

Onkar
Hmm, I don't think any of those would qualify as East Midlands - definitely all West Midlands. If we assume it's actually somewhere like Nottingham that Littlewiggle is based then you have common ground with south of Cambridge, for instance Peterborough, Leicester, Kettering.
Personally I am still looking for someone to travel to WCS events with, and this is asking a great deal more when I am based in Norwich......

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 08:51 PM
It's that whole distance thing again! Not to mention ' the gel factor' - I read that it can take ten potential partners to find one that is actually suitable for you. Needle in a haystack..........

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 09:45 PM
It's that whole distance thing again! Not to mention ' the gel factor' - I read that it can take ten potential partners to find one that is actually suitable for you. Needle in a haystack..........
Yes, I would suggest total immersion in a weekender is one way forward...I am frequently torn between
(a) dancing locally to increase local dance partners but limited by the dance options available, and
(b) dancing further away to learn other dances properly but limited by distance and cost...

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 09:50 PM
Exactement! So true x

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 09:52 PM
I did 'totally immerse' lol at southport but he slipped through my fingers.........next time I get inside leg measurements, tel no..........the wholecaboodle.....

Lory
15th-June-2006, 10:52 PM
the wholecaboodle.....
ooooooh :whistle:

Little Monkey
15th-June-2006, 11:24 PM
Right, I'm still waiting.... Now, make an orderly queue, guys!

Got (free!) dance studio, will practice..... Whenever?

Back injury minor drawback, but let's pretend it doesn't exist!:wink:

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 11:49 PM
Hmm, could I make this work with cheap flights from Norwich.......:rolleyes:

MartinHarper
16th-June-2006, 12:22 AM
In competition dancing, I'd agree that a perfect couple with perfect smiles will get free points just for existing. That doesn't make them better dancers: just more likely to win. So you have to decide whether you care more about dancing or dancing prizes.

After reading the last few posts i now know why i can't find that elusive dance partner.

Because you can't find anyone beautiful enough? Or just the general shortage of men with two-tone hair?

Brady
16th-June-2006, 12:24 AM
I sometimes feel that people like me should just pack their bags and move to Saga Holiday land but thank goodness there are people like James or Jammy or Brady who still manage to have fun dancing with me or even manage to do rather well competing with me.
Wx

I will always have fun dancing with you Wendy :nice: ...so when you coming back over for a dance?

Why should we need an equal opportunities thing in dancing? Dancing should be a fun social activity where anybody can ask anybody without feeling any pressure, fear, or any of that stuff. I will certainly dance with everybody that asks me and I try to ask others (it's often hard for a guy given we are more than often outnumbered and continually being asked) and have fun dancing with everybody, even if I have to work hard to make it fun. Given the imbalance in female/male numbers, ladies unfortunately will have to make a move to ask the guys else you might struggle to get them if other women are asking.

There are very few who dance for a living and need to take it so seriously, so why don't we all go out and enjoy the social activity of dancing with each other! :cheers:

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 05:33 AM

It all depends on what you want a partner for and, before anyone starts lowering the tone, I mean what level you want to get to in what style - this is not 'Carry on Dancing' :grin:
It could take many more than 10!!!

On my last visit to the UK (around Southport time) I met with 3 different people who I was introduced to through various sources. I had try-outs with all of them but Im not sure if it will happen. This is adding to the numerous people I have danced with both while I was living in Leeds and since I have moved down to the shandy drinking part of the country :blush: . Nice people but I dont think anything will come of it. It is definately a case of incompatibility to a greater or lesser extent either through level of dancing experience, level of competition experience, physicalities, geography or through the fact that some people are 'less than truthful' when filing out adverts! :rolleyes:
It could even be less tangible areas that mean a partnership wont work eg. money!!!! (big one). If you imagine you live somewhere that, on average, has teachers charging £60-70 for a private lesson it it becomes quite an issue.

You have one advantage in that you are looking to find a partner while dancing in the style you are looking to compete in. This way you are, at least, mixing with many 'potentials'.

If it makes you feel better I have a friend in Chicago who has met a different potential dance partner every weekend for the last 4 months - still no joy :grin: He is an accomplished dancer but cannot find the right person.

Human beans are varied creatures indeed :nice:

(its not half lonely on here at, what would be, 5:30am UK time :sad: )

Somebody talk to me :tears: :tears:

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 05:49 AM

A very inciteful and astute post Paul. Well done. Have some rep.

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 05:49 AM
:cheers:
Thanks Paul. Very nice of you to say.

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 05:50 AM
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 05:54 AM
:what:

I need a friend

:tears:

RogerR
16th-June-2006, 07:26 AM
Finding a partner also requires you to be open and honest about yourself. "The East Midlands" is a huge area from Derby & Nottingham to Peterborough and Bedford

littlewiggle
16th-June-2006, 07:59 AM
I hardly think that stating I am based in the East Midlands is being dishonest.... this is certainly true. I can be more specific when I choose to be. There is nothing wrong with being cautious especially online and especially for females.

Cruella
16th-June-2006, 08:14 AM

I need a friend

:tears:
Aww Bless. :flower: :hug: :kiss:

Cruella
16th-June-2006, 08:25 AM
Because you can't find anyone beautiful enough? Or just the general shortage of men with two-tone hair?
:flower: Thanks Martin.
It's actually someone with as loud a laugh !!!
Actually, Rob D has an even worse laugh than i! We've had complaints when we've danced together because of the noise level drowning out the music. :rolleyes: Although i did suggest to him that at least we'd get noticed in a competition!
I've found a few men with the two -tone hair going on, Dirty D (although it's not now) Jammy, Alex Faulkner are just a few. Oh,and Silverfox apparently :whistle:

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 08:31 AM
.... than i!

Look at you with the posh writing Hyacinth :nice:

Nowt wrong with using the word 'me' :wink:

Stuart M
16th-June-2006, 09:15 AM
I sometimes feel that people like me should just pack their bags and move to Saga Holiday land but thank goodness there are people like James or Jammy or Brady who still manage to have fun dancing with me or even manage to do rather well competing with me.
WxI will always have fun dancing with you Wendy :nice: ...so when you coming back over for a dance?

Why should we need an equal opportunities thing in dancing? Dancing should be a fun social activity where anybody can ask anybody without feeling any pressure, fear, or any of that stuff. I will certainly dance with everybody that asks me and I try to ask others (it's often hard for a guy given we are more than often outnumbered and continually being asked) and have fun dancing with everybody, even if I have to work hard to make it fun. Given the imbalance in female/male numbers, ladies unfortunately will have to make a move to ask the guys else you might struggle to get them if other women are asking.

There are very few who dance for a living and need to take it so seriously, so why don't we all go out and enjoy the social activity of dancing with each other! :cheers:

Wendy - wot no mention of our glorious 2004 run to become one of the 28 best average dance couples in the UK? My finest hour on a competition dancefloor? ;) :flower:

Well, my trousers' finest hour anyway

Tiggerbabe
16th-June-2006, 09:24 AM
no mention of our glorious 2004 run ..................
Well, my trousers' finest hour anyway
OMG! The memories *sigh* :drool:

Yliander
16th-June-2006, 10:37 AM

I need a friend

:tears::hug: and to get out of the house more often

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 10:53 AM
I will always have fun dancing with you Wendy :nice: ...so when you coming back over for a dance?

September, first Tuesday - at JJ's I think :hug: and thanks :flower:

Why should we need an equal opportunities thing in dancing? Dancing should be a fun social activity where anybody can ask anybody without feeling any pressure, fear, or any of that stuff.?

Not what I was advocating - it's an état d'ésprit - a way of thinking. Instead of thinking "I won't ask that ugly/fat/old/short/bald bloke/woman to dance" you just go ahead and ask and see what happens - it could be the best dance of your life and that person might outshine the tall gorgeous ones in comps - you never know !!! I think many men (especially) from what I hear here think that the attractiveness of the female goes a long way to help winning competitions. Maybe a judge could help me with that one ????

Maybe men dance best if they ARE in love/fancy their partners ???? Maybe you can answer that one :wink: Personally I think I'd dance worse if I really fancied my dance partner (of course they have all been gorgeous ! but I knew there was no hope so managed to curb my passionate thoughts :flower: ) as I'd be all nervous and trying to impress him too much.

I will certainly dance with everybody that asks me and I try to ask others (it's often hard for a guy given we are more than often outnumbered and continually being asked) and have fun dancing with everybody, even if I have to work hard to make it fun. Given the imbalance in female/male numbers, ladies unfortunately will have to make a move to ask the guys else you might struggle to get them if other women are asking. ?
And there sums up the story of our lives and explains why big weekeenders can be such a let down sometimes - I am sure there are loads of good men who no longer just turn round and ask a lady who is just standing there. Not their fault - I can see how that would see but it does highlight "sometimes it's hard to be woman" tra la la. It also shows that the male female balance at events makes little difference to some women's enjoyment - it's the ratio of GOOD men to women that matters !

There are very few who dance for a living and need to take it so seriously, so why don't we all go out and enjoy the social activity of dancing with each other! :cheers: Yeah of course but we are talking dance partners/competitions here not just having fun on Saturday nights (Fridays too of course at say Route 66 :flower:)

And Brady (son :hug: ) I hope to hear that you've run off with top prize at the Beach Boogie Blues Comp this year :clap: :clap: :clap: Or are you just going to stick to WCS and be the next Robert Cordoba ??? :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wx

Paul F
16th-June-2006, 11:02 AM
:hug: and to get out of the house more often

I am :nice: Im at work. Although, this is starting to feel like home :rolleyes:

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 11:03 AM

Wendy - wot no mention of our glorious 2004 run to become one of the 28 best average dance couples in the UK? My finest hour on a competition dancefloor? ;) :flower:

Well, my trousers' finest hour anywayUnlike your trousers, I'm just too modest :rofl:

And if you see Brian be sure to ask him about the time I came first in the Barrhead Gala Day Tennis Championships in 1975. OK so there were 2 of us :rofl: :rofl:

Some of us are made for stardom whilst some of us look up at the stars from the gutter ... or something like that :rolleyes:

Wx

stewart38
16th-June-2006, 11:12 AM

LM

me to :tears: :tears:

Had a few runners up with DWAS but they felt were not good enough for comps

Now ive had logged 26 moves not 8 :mad: im ready to have a go :yeah:

think comp is only way ill improve now :sad:

pmjd
16th-June-2006, 11:20 AM
you just go ahead and ask and see what happens - it could be the best dance of your life and that person might outshine the tall gorgeous ones in comps - you never know !!!

Maybe men dance best if they ARE in love/fancy their partners ???? Maybe you can answer that one :wink:

Something I definitely learned a long time ago was to never judge anyones' dancing ability by their appearance. I still try my best to dance with at least one stranger at class nights/parties and have had some fantastic dances.

As for being in love/fancy your partner, mmm... think I agree with Wendy I'd be dancing worse, probably too busy trying to impress or feeling really selfconcious and not relaxed if it was someone I was attracted to but hadn't done anything about:blush: . On the other hand if it was your other half maybe it would be better as there would be a bit more passion:devil:

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 11:47 AM
Something I definitely learned a long time ago was to never judge anyones' dancing ability by their appearance. I still try my best to dance with at least one stranger at class nights/parties and have had some fantastic dances. ::clap: :clap: :clap: That's the spirit :D

As for being in love/fancy your partner, mmm... think I agree with Wendy I'd be dancing worse, probably too busy trying to impress or feeling really selfconcious and not relaxed if it was someone I was attracted to but hadn't done anything about:blush: . On the other hand if it was your other half maybe it would be better as there would be a bit more passion:devil: Well when it's your other half there can also be a lot more :mad: :mad: :mad: too :whistle:

Wx

onkar
16th-June-2006, 11:54 AM
Something I definitely learned a long time ago was to never judge anyones' dancing ability by their appearance. I still try my best to dance with at least one stranger at class nights/parties and have had some fantastic dances.

As for being in love/fancy your partner, mmm... think I agree with Wendy I'd be dancing worse, probably too busy trying to impress or feeling really selfconcious and not relaxed if it was someone I was attracted to but hadn't done anything about:blush: . On the other hand if it was your other half maybe it would be better as there would be a bit more passion:devil:

I went to one the the Just Jive'n freestyles about 18 months ago, and had got to the stage where I danced with lots of regulars, because they knew me, and tended to avoid strangers. On this particular night, a really large lady (20st+), dressed in a black flowing goth number appeared. Now on pure appearence I would not have danced with her, but during the evening she as for a dance, and I had by far the best dance ever, and I subsequently danced several times with her that evening.

Having said that I have also asked strangers to dance who have looked spectacular (both from a physique point of view as well as dress/shoes/make up etc), and found that they were truely awful.

Onkar

So I now also always attempt to dance with new ladies, (and on occasion men), because appearences can be very very deceiving.

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 12:13 PM
I went to one the the Just Jive'n freestyles about 18 months ago, and had got to the stage where I danced with lots of regulars, because they knew me, and tended to avoid strangers. On this particular night, a really large lady (20st+), dressed in a black flowing goth number appeared. Now on pure appearence I would not have danced with her, but during the evening she as for a dance, and I had by far the best dance ever, and I subsequently danced several times with her that evening.

Having said that I have also asked strangers to dance who have looked spectacular (both from a physique point of view as well as dress/shoes/make up etc), and found that they were truely awful.

Onkar

So I now also always attempt to dance with new ladies, (and on occasion men), because appearences can be very very deceiving.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Magic !!!!

I was the old short fat sweaty one at Southport and you never asked ME !!! :tears: (Well maybe you did cos I don't know who you are.:flower: ) Look out for me next time ! :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wx

Lynn
16th-June-2006, 12:19 PM
On thinking about this this morning (for some reason I was thinking about dance comps and realising that I'm quite happy never to do another one though having sampled one for fun, I quite understand why people would do them) I realise that I hadn't put dance ability, experience etc in my list of what I would look for...
- commitment to practice

- good communication - openess and honesty, not overly sensitive to getting or giving constructive feedback - its nice to get complimented by a stranger on a social dance floor but I would want honesty from a dance partner.

- ability to focus (and tell me to shut up if I talk too much when supposed to be focused :blush: ) but also to unwind afterwards over a drink/coffee.

- patience - both with me and himself. These things take time.

- passion for the dance - a shared motivation - I suppose some people have a desire to compete and perform - I'd be much more interested in someone having first and foremost the passion for the dance itself and the inward focus of all the little details that people don't actually see, but that make the dance what it is. Clearly ability would come into it somewhere but its not a priority for me, potential is more important.

For competitions I think an extra set of requirements does have to apply.

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 12:42 PM
potential is more important. Sure but unless you have a crystal ball you simply cannot know what that is going to be. Look at Zoe Ball ?? No-one could have guessed beforehand that she had THAT much potential. :clap:

Everyone has bags of potential which sadly will never be realised cos they don't get the chance or the encouragement they need to progress. Same as life. Most of us have the potential to read and write but if you put a baby in the middle of a jungle and leave them there they'll never be able to. They'd still have the potential but never get the chance to prove it.

So thank goodness for the people who bring it out in people like teachers, coaches, taxi dancers etc and for those who give people the chance in the first place (and that for me is what equal ops is all about). And just thinking that maybe that is why we all think so highly of people like Franck and CEROC as a product. They have given all of us the chance to dance in the first place. :cheers: :clap: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :clap: :cheers: And just imagine all that potential not being realised :sick: Let's aim higher and let all of us reach our potential by giving one another the chance :flower:

Wx

Twirly
16th-June-2006, 01:06 PM
So thank goodness for the people who bring it out in people like teachers, coaches, taxi dancers etc and for those who give people the chance in the first place (and that for me is what equal ops is all about). And just thinking that maybe that is why we all think so highly of people like Franck and CEROC as a product. They have given all of us the chance to dance in the first place. :cheers: :clap: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :clap: :cheers: And just imagine all that potential not being realised :sick: Let's aim higher and let all of us reach our potential by giving one another the chance :flower:

Wx

Absolutely :yeah: Well said :grin:

ducasi
16th-June-2006, 02:00 PM
There's two threads of discussion going on here...

Choosing a partner to dance with.
Choosing a partner to partner with.

For the former, I'll dance with pretty much anyone who asks... Can't think of any time I've said no yet... When it comes to asking strangers, all other things being equal, I admit I'll ask the cuter girl first... What can I say, I'm a shallow guy... And even if she's not the best dancer, I still get to admire her for a little while... :awe:

But if I see a fab dancer, and she looks like someone I could have a good dance with, then I'll want to dance with her no matter how "nubile" she is or otherwise...

I'd be foolish not to – not many of my favourite dancers around Glasgow are superficially attractive in a way that'd make me think ":drool:". (But they are all of course beautiful and lovely people... Am I digging a big enough hole for myself yet?)

For an actual dance partner – for either competition or just to work on dancing together – well I'd like a partner to work and maybe compete with... And for purely practical reasons I'm looking for someone small(-ish) and slim(-ish) – I don't think I'd be able to do many of the weight-supporting moves otherwise.

pmjd
16th-June-2006, 02:21 PM
not many of my favourite dancers around Glasgow are superficially attractive in a way that'd make me think ":drool:". (But they are all of course beautiful and lovely people... Am I digging a big enough hole for myself yet?)

Can lend you a JCB if you want:D

Lynn
16th-June-2006, 04:30 PM
Sure but unless you have a crystal ball you simply cannot know what that is going to be. Look at Zoe Ball ?? No-one could have guessed beforehand that she had THAT much potential. :clap:I'm not talking about an absolute beginners here. I'm saying that I'd happily work with a dance partner eg in tango, who has little or no tango experience (actually that would be the same level as me then!) but who I know can fulfill all the other things I would be looking for. I'm not looking for some fabulous dancer to partner with. That would be totally unrealistic.

Being realistic its rare to find the 'perfect' dance partner, so we all have to have things we are willing to be flexible about and things that are important to us. Eg I wouldn't want to work for too long with an experienced, very good dancer who couldn't take any sort of negative feedback or who didn't think he needed to actually spend much time practicing.

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm not talking about an absolute beginners here. Neither was I it was just an example. IMO you cannot guess ANYONE'S potential - it doesn't matter what their starting point is.

And I totally agree with all your points about choosing a partner. Keep dreaming girl and aim high :flower:

Wx

Brady
16th-June-2006, 04:44 PM
September, first Tuesday - at JJ's I think :hug: and thanks :flower:

And Brady (son :hug: ) I hope to hear that you've run off with top prize at the Beach Boogie Blues Comp this year :clap: :clap: :clap: Or are you just going to stick to WCS and be the next Robert Cordoba ??? :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wx

Hmmm...better mark that date in my calendar!

Unfortunately won't make it to Beach Boogie this year. There will be plenty of WCS there which would normally drag me down, but am running out of annual leave quickly with being in the US so much this year. Putting myself at my depth in the US, so once again back to having to get the courage to go ask people up for a dance makes me understand your comments on this thread.

Wendy
16th-June-2006, 04:48 PM
Hmmm...better mark that date in my calendar!

Unfortunately won't make it to Beach Boogie this year. There will be plenty of WCS there which would normally drag me down, but am running out of annual leave quickly with being in the US so much this year. Putting myself at my depth in the US, so once again back to having to get the courage to go ask people up for a dance makes me understand your comments on this thread.

Look forward to it ! :D Maybe won't go now then :wink:

Nice to see your comments about coming back down to earth and brave of you to return

:clap: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :clap:

Wx

Msfab
16th-June-2006, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately won't make it to Beach Boogie this year. There will be plenty of WCS there which would normally drag me down, but am running out of annual leave quickly with being in the US so much this year.
:tears: :tears: :tears: Forget the USA, the Isle of Wight needs you!

David Franklin
16th-June-2006, 05:30 PM
And for purely practical reasons I'm looking for someone small(-ish) and slim(-ish) – I don't think I'd be able to do many of the weight-supporting moves otherwise.
Can lend you a JCB if you want :D

{Did someone hear an echo in here?}

ducasi
16th-June-2006, 09:22 PM
Can lend you a JCB if you want :D

{Did someone hear an echo in here?}
Dual purpose! I like it! :D

littlewiggle
16th-June-2006, 09:37 PM
And for purely practical reasons I'm looking for someone small(-ish) and slim(-ish) – I don't think I'd be able to do many of the weight-supporting moves otherwise.

It's me ......It's me......:flower: If only I had my own private jet!

ducasi
16th-June-2006, 09:57 PM
It's me ......It's me......:flower: If only I had my own private jet!

I'd rather have a private jet than a JCB... Anyone? :flower:

(I wonder if I danced with you in Southport...)

littlewiggle
16th-June-2006, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm I wonder..........

Paul F
17th-June-2006, 01:46 PM
There is a website that is relatively new and with only just over 1000 people on it but it contains many people who do MJ.

I did a search for "Females" in "Surrey" and got quite a few MJ people returned.

May be of interest. Its a UK site.

www.dancingpartners.net

I would advise not being too stringent on the search criteria given the number of members.

littlewiggle
18th-June-2006, 05:06 PM
Speed Dancing workshops.... it's the only way forward. You dance with everyone in the room and then ask your top 5 dancers about commitment etc. Or Blind Dancing.. setting up people who you know would be great together.
Wx

I love this idea. Where would there be loads of like-minded dancers........I wonder??!!! SOUTHPORT!! A speed dancing session, a board to post on........I'm sure John & Wes could give us a helping hand.:flower:

Yliander
18th-June-2006, 05:19 PM
Tempted to apply myself but Im too busy unfortunately :sad::flower: thanks for the thought - but I've got lucky and the forum has supplied me with a lovely partner! thank you Sheepman

littlewiggle
18th-June-2006, 06:04 PM
:flower: thanks for the thought - but I've got lucky and the forum has supplied me with a lovely partner! thank you Sheepman

I am so jealous..........:tears: No seriously, well done and good luck :hug:

Wendy
18th-June-2006, 07:30 PM
:flower: thanks for the thought - but I've got lucky and the forum has supplied me with a lovely partner! thank you Sheepman So Sheepie found you a partner or he IS the partner ? You can't just leave it like that :eek:

:flower:

Wx

PS And all the best whoever it is :clap: :clap: :clap:

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 07:45 PM
Right.

Last night someone suggested to me that I should make a list of who I'd like as a potential dance/competition partner for Musselburgh. Ok, I did. Here it is:

Greg (Sheepman) - but he's now competing with Yliander, so nope, not gonna happen. Besides, he's entering advanced, and I'm not good enough.

Rob (dances at my local venue) - doesn't do comps.

Sherwin - as above.

Alan - As far as I know still got a competition partner, Avril.

Sam - Competes with his gorgeous fiance Monika (although not sure if they're entering this year).

Also thought of a few others, but they all live in London, and they all have competition partners already, or don't want to compete.

Little Monkey won't be going to Musselburgh this year.:(

Paul F
18th-June-2006, 08:46 PM
:flower: thanks for the thought - but I've got lucky and the forum has supplied me with a lovely partner! thank you Sheepman

Thats great news. Best of luck with everything. :cheers:

Wish I could be there to watch but its just a bit too close to Southport.

ducasi
19th-June-2006, 12:07 AM
There is a website that is relatively new and with only just over 1000 people on it but it contains many people who do MJ. :confused:

I did a few searches, and each time it said "You can do an initial search for partners without registering or paying any fee. This will give you an idea of people who meet your match", then went on to ask me to register...

So anyone any idea how I "can do an initial search for partners without registering"?

:confused:

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 12:37 AM

Sherwin - as above. ooo think we will have to remedy that

Little Monkey won't be going to Musselburgh this year.:(don't despair just yet :wink: I sense a misson

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 12:37 AM
Thats great news. Best of luck with everything. :cheers: thanks :hug:

Wish I could be there to watch but its just a bit too close to Southport.Piker! :na:

foxylady
19th-June-2006, 09:32 AM
Piker! :na:

Is this a strange Aussie term ???

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 09:36 AM
So anyone any idea how I "can do an initial search for partners without registering"?

The site doesnt really explain it but registering and paying to become a premium member are seperate. Registration is free. I also didnt have to log onto my email server to verify my details. It means you dont have to put in a real mail address in case spam is an issue.

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Is this a strange Aussie term ???

I dont speak Australian.

ducasi
19th-June-2006, 09:57 AM
The site doesnt really explain it but registering and paying to become a premium member are seperate. Registration is free. I also didnt have to log onto my email server to verify my details. It means you dont have to put in a real mail address in case spam is an issue.
So it's lying, and you do have to register? It was clear to me that registering and paying were separate.

Not impressed.

Tinkerbell
19th-June-2006, 10:06 AM

Sherwin - as above.

I don't know Rob, but Sherwin is :drool: one of my fav dancers! Let them know that you are looking for a partner and they might change their mind :nice:

Little Monkey won't be going to Musselburgh this year.:(

I'm not competing, but I'm looking forward to going to watch. It should be a good day (and night) :grin:

Gill x

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 10:12 AM
So it's lying, and you do have to register? It was clear to me that registering and paying were separate.

Not impressed.

Totally agree. It certainly isnt a good site but, from what I can tell, its one of the few UK based partner sites that may contain MJers. Such a shame. I can only think there may be a need for one.

I have half a mind to knock one together myself.

Tinkerbell
19th-June-2006, 10:22 AM

Oooh, great news :grin:

Best of luck (not that you will need it) :flower:

Gill x

Little Monkey
19th-June-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't know Rob, but Sherwin is :drool: one of my fav dancers! Let them know that you are looking for a partner and they might change their mind :nice:

I'm not competing, but I'm looking forward to going to watch. It should be a good day (and night) :grin:

Well, I'm just not a fan of going to comps if I'm not dancing myself. Which is why I didn't go to Musselburgh or Blackpool last year, as I thought it was a bit of a waste of time.... I went to both the previous year, but did intermediate with Skippy (just for a laugh!), and DWAS at both events (and got through to final in Musselburgh and semi in Blackpool!), but I don't think it was worth going just to do the DWAS.

I might, however, have a plan for this year's comp...... But my lips are sealed!:whistle:

LMC
19th-June-2006, 11:29 AM
May be of interest. Its a UK site.

www.dancingpartners.net

I would advise not being too stringent on the search criteria given the number of members.
I am surprised that HEIGHT isn't a search criterion. IIRC, similar height partners (man a bit taller) is recommended - and some moves (esp. dips/drops and some close moves) are certainly easier to follow if a lead is a similar height or taller rather than someone significantly shorter. Annoying not to be able to select multiple groups as well - e.g. for age (especially as I'm on the extreme upper edge of 31-35 :tears: ) and location (I live in Herts, but could easily partner someone in London or Beds, possibly even Essex, Bucks or Cambs).

G'wan Paul, do a website - I'd join :D (put a forum on it :devil: )

robd
19th-June-2006, 11:40 AM
I have half a mind to knock one together myself.

It may have come up already in the thread but it strikes me that the forum could play a role here. There seem to be a number of people registered as members who are wanting partners so why not create a sticky thread called Dance Partner Wanted or similar and allow people to post their requirements, availability, ambitions, etc there? The PM system could be used for contacts and exchange of photos, etc should they be required.

Am I missing an obvious downside to this?

Robert

ducasi
19th-June-2006, 12:47 PM
It may have come up already in the thread but it strikes me that the forum could play a role here. ...
The forum's certainly useful, but it lacks things such as a good category search, plus the ability to update their wanted notice if/when they get a partner.

It also might be a bit too public for some – some forum identities are well known, but you might not everyone to know you're looking for a partner (especially your current one! ;))

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 12:51 PM
G'wan Paul, do a website - I'd join :D (put a forum on it :devil: )

As always it is a question of time. I would happily do it and it wouldnt take too long to do but there are 2 major things which will probably prevent me from doing it:
1. Features - people need features on a partner search website eg. search by postcode. More features means more work!
2. Admin. As with a forum it would take most of my day to administer the thing.

Nice idea but I doubt it will happen. Not from me anyway.

Robert

For a few people I cant see anything wrong with it. The problems come if many people want to use it. Ideally you would need other features e.g. search criteria on multiple attributes and a structured way to view information 'at a glance' amongst others.

Using the forum would definatey be quicker than creating a site though.

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 12:52 PM
The forum's certainly useful, but it lacks things such as a good category search, plus the ability to update their wanted notice if/when they get a partner.

Darn these fast typers :grin:

littlewiggle
19th-June-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah but no but yeah but .............surely we can come up with something between us!

Sheepman
19th-June-2006, 02:56 PM

Not impressed.
Registering & paying are separate, I registered, but didn't pay. I registered mostly because I assumed I would have to, in order to add details of dance classes, but I was wrong, anyone could go on the site and add details of whatever they want. Then I realised that on the searches it is showing me as the dance teacher, but there is no way of editing it. I've emailed them to ask them to edit it, but no change yet.

So, I'm not too impressed either.

A resource like this could be very useful, but as Paul says, it's a question of administration time & effort, and without that, it will never reach the critical mass that is needed.

So I'm wondering how many of those "Featured Members" shown on the home page are newly added forumites? :whistle:

Greg

onkar
19th-June-2006, 03:43 PM
As always it is a question of time. I would happily do it and it wouldnt take too long to do but there are 2 major things which will probably prevent me from doing it:
1. Features - people need features on a partner search website eg. search by postcode. More features means more work!
2. Admin. As with a forum it would take most of my day to administer the thing.

Nice idea but I doubt it will happen. Not from me anyway.

For a few people I cant see anything wrong with it. The problems come if many people want to use it. Ideally you would need other features e.g. search criteria on multiple attributes and a structured way to view information 'at a glance' amongst others.

Using the forum would definatey be quicker than creating a site though.

This maybe something I might pick up. Been toying with the idea for several months. Have tried several partner dance sites, and so far the only responses have been from Russion brides or Nigerian Princess's keen to deposit 20million into my bank account.

I will put together some notes, and would welcome any suggestions.

Initial thoughts are:

Specify age range
Post Code region (within 20miles of SW1 etc)
Height
Asperations (social, competition etc)
Weight/Build
Dance Types (WCS, Latin etc)
Upload Pic/Avatar
Make account dormant

So if anyone has any other must have requirements, either add them to this thread, or PM me, and I try to gage what amount of effort is involved.

Onkar

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 05:42 PM
This maybe something I might pick up. Been toying with the idea for several months. Have tried several partner dance sites, and so far the only responses have been from Russion brides or Nigerian Princess's keen to deposit 20million into my bank account.

I will put together some notes, and would welcome any suggestions.

Initial thoughts are:

Specify age range
Post Code region (within 20miles of SW1 etc)
Height
Asperations (social, competition etc)
Weight/Build
Dance Types (WCS, Latin etc)
Upload Pic/Avatar
Make account dormant

So if anyone has any other must have requirements, either add them to this thread, or PM me, and I try to gage what amount of effort is involved.

OnkarA decent search function

Minnie M
19th-June-2006, 05:51 PM
would you choose this man as a dance partner ?

Minnie M
19th-June-2006, 05:52 PM
Another picture of the chap (http://www.johnlindo.com/)above

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 05:54 PM
would you choose this man as a dance partner ?If he can dance and we gel sure!

Minnie M
19th-June-2006, 05:54 PM
If he can dance and we gel sure!
not sure about that :whistle:

Weight/Build
I was trying to make a point - how do you know he can dance by the way he looks ?

Little Monkey
19th-June-2006, 06:05 PM
So I'm wondering how many of those "Featured Members" shown on the home page are newly added forumites? :whistle:

Greg

Well, just about the only match I've had so far is you!:rofl: :rofl:

Although I put myself as 'quite good / 4', not advanced.....

onkar
19th-June-2006, 06:11 PM
not sure about that :whistle:

I was trying to make a point - how do you know he can dance by the way he looks ?

Being just a tad sexist here, but I think men would have more of an issue with build/weight than women in their partners. I myself have no issues dancing with larger ladies, but for a regular dance partner, I would want someone who I could do drops with easily and possibly explore aerials should the partnership develop.

Onkar

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 06:37 PM
would you choose this man as a dance partner ?

I just shows that differen sizes can dance perfectly well together. Watching John indo dancing with Deb Szekely in the '04 Open was awesome.

Why am I seeing posts with a different heading than the others. I saw the above posts after clicking on the 'Dance Partner' thread???

Minnie M
19th-June-2006, 06:45 PM
I just shows that differen sizes can dance perfectly well together. Watching John indo dancing with Deb Szekely in the '04 Open was awesome.....

This is the reason I added this post to this thread

Why am I seeing posts with a different heading than the others. I saw the above posts after clicking on the 'Dance Partner' thread???

Sorry my fault :blush: just felt the posts actually referrd to both threads :flower:

littlewiggle
19th-June-2006, 07:15 PM
Specify age range
Well this got me thinking.................what is the ideal age gap?

Paul F
19th-June-2006, 07:35 PM
Sorry my fault :blush: just felt the posts actually referrd to both threads :flower:

Ah. Good idea. I just wasnt sure if it was a technical glitch or not :flower:

Little Monkey
19th-June-2006, 08:54 PM
Well this got me thinking.................what is the ideal age gap?

I don't really care about age, as long as the guy is fit enough to cope with the dancing/ dips/ drops etc. So............ Anywhere between 20 and 60 would do nicely, thankyouverymuch!:D

littlewiggle
19th-June-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't really care about age, as long as the guy is fit enough to cope with the dancing/ dips/ drops etc. So............ Anywhere between 20 and 60 would do nicely, thankyouverymuch!:D

Well I had a wonderful dance on Saturday with a guy who had a few (OK SEVERAL) years on me and we really gelled but in all seriousness, I don't think we would have looked right as competition partners.

Yogi_Bear
19th-June-2006, 09:09 PM
well, at least i have afew years left before it's time to hang up my shoes for good....or take up Argentine tango seriously....

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 11:47 PM
Well I had a wonderful dance on Saturday with a guy who had a few (OK SEVERAL) years on me and we really gelled but in all seriousness, I don't think we would have looked right as competition partners.define several? - I was 11 years older than my ex dance partner

robd
20th-June-2006, 08:13 AM
possibly explore aerials should the partnership develop.

Yeah, my mother warned me about girls who do aerials on the first date. Or was it the splits?

LMC
20th-June-2006, 09:46 AM
Weight/build - being a 'big girl' myself, I would happily "audition" with the guy whose photo Minnie posted. Onkar's point is well made. I get nervous when someone I don't know tries to dip/drop me if are much shorter or they obviously weigh less than I do. It's not so much a lack of faith in them as a concern that I might damage them if *I* get it wrong. Given two guys of approximately the same physical fitness, the bigger guy *in general* will usually be stronger, end of. Let's face it, most modern jivers are not *extremely* physically fit.

Age - At nearly 36 and only having been dancing just over a year, I'm exceedingly unlikely to make it to international standard. So I wouldn't want to waste the time of an ambitious 18 year old guy who doesn't have recurring niggling minor injuries and who wants to compete seriously with a partner who is young, slim and pretty. I dance with a couple of very talented teenagers at my local venue and we both enjoy it - but I don't think we'd work as regular dance partners. Also, I would hope that a dance partner would become a friend - and I'm more likely to have things in common with someone probably about 15 years either way. That's NOT saying that someone who is 30 years older would be 'unacceptable' (someone who is 30 years younger would be at present - they'd be too short). It's just a case of probabilities - I think that I, personally, am more likely to get along with someone who is not too different in age. Given that age seems to be an important criterion on most dance partner websites, I suspect I am not alone in this.

littlewiggle
20th-June-2006, 12:14 PM
define several? - I was 11 years older than my ex dance partner

About 30 years I reckon! 11 years is no probelm!

Yliander
20th-June-2006, 02:07 PM
It may have come up already in the thread but it strikes me that the forum could play a role here. There seem to be a number of people registered as members who are wanting partners so why not create a sticky thread called Dance Partner Wanted or similar and allow people to post their requirements, availability, ambitions, etc there? The PM system could be used for contacts and exchange of photos, etc should they be required.

Robert a very good suggestion!! the Australian Forum has a section - for people looking for dance partners - with a new thread for each partner hunt be it for on going compeition, a specific compeition, a workshop or a routine - so far has seems to have done relatively well and is another avenue for getting the word out to as wide a variety of people as possible.

having a single thread for all those people looking for a dance partner - runs the risk of some getting lost in the mix.

I had intended to start my own looking for ADvanced Partner for Scottish Comps 2006 thread - but I got lucky with one sentence.

littlewiggle
20th-June-2006, 11:31 PM
since it seems to be the thread... time to get out of the cupboard then...
well me too I'm thinking about competing now and would like to find a dance partner.... :whistle:

Hope you'll find one Littlewiggle :flower:

It's a lost cause! Been adventurous and got myself out and about ...Cambridge, Wellingborough, Northampton and Melton in a week........still nothing!:sad:

robd
21st-June-2006, 04:26 PM
It's a lost cause! Been adventurous and got myself out and about ...Cambridge, Wellingborough, Northampton and Melton in a week........still nothing!:sad:

But how many people have you asked to be your partner, LW?

littlewiggle
21st-June-2006, 05:18 PM
ermmm well stutter stutter......I can't go around just asking random people at every venue! The ones I've spoken to about it already have partners! The ones that ask me are usually pensioners.....I'm not ready to collect mine yet!

robd
21st-June-2006, 06:25 PM
usually pensioners.....I'm not ready to collect mine yet!

Your pension or your pensioner? :wink:

littlewiggle
21st-June-2006, 06:27 PM
Your pension or your pensioner? :wink:

Both ...could it be my blue rinse ...is it giving the wrong impression Rob? :rofl:

Little Monkey
11th-July-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe I need to shout louder for the guys out there to hear me.......:

ANYONE WANT TO DO THE INTERMEDIATE AT MUSSELBURGH WITH ME???

LM:flower:

Alice
11th-July-2006, 11:04 PM
a very good suggestion!! the Australian Forum has a section - for people looking for dance partners - with a new thread for each partner hunt be it for on going compeition, a specific compeition, a workshop or a routine - so far has seems to have done relatively well and is another avenue for getting the word out to as wide a variety of people as possible.

having a single thread for all those people looking for a dance partner - runs the risk of some getting lost in the mix.

I had intended to start my own looking for ADvanced Partner for Scottish Comps 2006 thread - but I got lucky with one sentence.
I can vouch for this- both times I was looking for a partner for comps/routines after I joined the forum I found partners very quickly and easily...

littlewiggle
12th-July-2006, 12:30 PM
I can vouch for this- both times I was looking for a partner for comps/routines after I joined the forum I found partners very quickly and easily...

I bet living in London helps tho' hon

Cruella
12th-July-2006, 12:31 PM
I bet living in London helps tho' hon
and being young, blonde, petite and pretty.:flower: :whistle:

littlewiggle
12th-July-2006, 12:38 PM

Hey! There's nothing wrong with brunettes as I'm sure you know (but you have the best of both worlds Di! Apparently men prefer blondes as their 'bit of fluff' as brunettes as partners so can that transpire to dance partners too...... I'm still waiting :rolleyes:

Alice
12th-July-2006, 12:38 PM
:blush: Shucks:)

Actually, the first time I met up with two potentials on the same night... and neither of them knew what I looked like prior to that.

And I was in Sydney at the time, not London:whistle:

Jivingdan
14th-July-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey! There's nothing wrong with brunettes as I'm sure you know (but you have the best of both worlds Di! Apparently men prefer blondes as their 'bit of fluff' as brunettes as partners so can that transpire to dance partners too...... I'm still waiting :rolleyes:

I must be unusual because I have always preferred brunettes.
I cant understand why you haven't been snapped up. I am not doing competitions at the moment or I would have asked you myself.

Buttons
14th-July-2006, 03:25 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones. I started dancing few years ago after separating from a none dancing husband. Never wanted to give another man house room let alone dance with one. Then fate goes and interferes with my singlehood plans. Was not looking for any kind of partner never mind a dance one. This man is now my life partner and over the years together have learned to dance a wide variety of dance styles( not saying we are any good) and have entered competitions (when i am well enough).

My advice to all ladies/men who want to a dance partner stop looking so hard. They may just find you.

littlewiggle
14th-July-2006, 05:19 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones. I started dancing few years ago after separating from a none dancing husband. Never wanted to give another man house room let alone dance with one. Then fate goes and interferes with my singlehood plans. Was not looking for any kind of partner never mind a dance one. This man is now my life partner and over the years together have learned to dance a wide variety of dance styles( not saying we are any good) and have entered competitions (when i am well enough).

My advice to all ladies/men who want to a dance partner stop looking so hard. They may just find you.

Well how lovely! I'm really pleased for you :hug: and not at all jealous ....much :wink: No seriously - good for you and my boat will come along I hope one day!

Oh and thanks to Dan too!

Little Monkey
14th-July-2006, 06:49 PM

So glad it's worked out so well for you, Buttons!

But it seems easier to find a life partner (for me) than to find a dance / competition partner! And I've even got a partner who dances!! :tears:

ducasi
14th-July-2006, 07:29 PM
But it seems easier to find a life partner (for me) than to find a dance / competition partner! And I've even got a partner who dances!! :tears:
Maybe we can swap luck for a wee while... I seem to have acquired a partner for Musselburgh without really trying. No signs of this happening life-partner-wise... :shrug:

littlewiggle
17th-July-2006, 12:49 PM
Maybe we can swap luck for a wee while... I seem to have acquired a partner for Musselburgh without really trying. No signs of this happening life-partner-wise... :shrug:

It's fate! You never know - the love of your life could be there! :wink:

Lory
17th-July-2006, 02:09 PM
Apparently men prefer blondes as their 'bit of fluff'
:rolleyes:

Dance Demon
17th-July-2006, 02:23 PM
:rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DianaS
17th-July-2006, 03:42 PM
So glad it's worked out so well for you, Buttons!

hmmm life partner sounds good
may be think laterally on the dance partner Like has he got some mates that he could introduce you to?? :flower:
Or how about you leading some of us girls? We'd que up you'd have a harem:whistle:
I don't like competitions myself
I just enjoy dancing

Little Monkey
17th-July-2006, 05:53 PM
has he got some mates that he could introduce you to?? :flower:

Hmmmmm....... Nope. Unless I enter intermediate with Sparkles, who is a better lead than most men...... :D

Or how about you leading some of us girls? We'd que up you'd have a harem:whistle:

Don't think I'm quite good enough at leading to enter a comp! Never really practice leading much, so my range of moves is rather limited.

DianaS
18th-July-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmmmmm....... Nope. Unless I enter intermediate with Sparkles, who is a better lead than most men...... :D
.:respect: Yep I'd agree with you there:)

Gidders
26th-July-2006, 07:08 PM
Having been dancing for a couple of yrs, I've started thinking recently that it would be good to have a regular dance partner to help practice some of those more difficult to lead moves, develop style etc. At class nights and freestyles I try to make a point of dancing with some people who I've not met before as well as some of those I know well, and get some "that was great/I really enjoyed that" type comments but never know whether they say that to all the fellas :really:

Having read this thread from beginning to end, I don't know if I want to get into competitions or not - some nights everything clicks and I think I've maybe got potential ;) and others ... well ... :tears: There are a number of ladies that I dance with regularly but that not the same as a regular dance partner. To me the idea of a regular partner is to get some open & honest feedback and have the opertunity to practices moves and develop musical interpretation. I supose its possible that one of the ladies that I dance with regularly might want a regular dance partner - I've never asked

Anyone here around Birmingham :whistle:

Dazzler
26th-July-2006, 07:35 PM
I have to say i have only been dancing a short while..but i did not realise the trouble people have finding a partner....perhaps i should start asking now? lol

Although think am a bit out of the way up here!

Little Monkey
27th-July-2006, 12:14 PM
I have to say i have only been dancing a short while..but i did not realise the trouble people have finding a partner....perhaps i should start asking now? lol

Well, I think it's a bit harder for women to find dance partners, than for men....:(

I'm still looking for someone to enter the intermediate comp at Musselburgh with in September, but no luck so far. Would even enter the advanced just for a laugh (at least we'd do one heat.....:rolleyes: ), if I could find a willing victim!! But no... And as I find it exceedingly dull to go to a comp and not compete, I'll probably not go to Musselburgh this year. Although there's always the lucky dip. :sick:

LM :flower:

pmjd
27th-July-2006, 04:40 PM
No luck finding a willing victim in Dundee or nearby then LM:( Maybe it's time to start looking for a dance partner for next years competition, sure that there must be some willing men out there:nice:

Little Monkey is a fantastic dancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So come on guys give the competition a go with a fabulous partner!

If not maybe the lucky dip could be better than you expect:waycool:

Good luck:flower:
Paul

Little Monkey
27th-July-2006, 06:04 PM
Maybe it's time to start looking for a dance partner for next years competition, sure that there must be some willing men out there:nice:

Well, are you up for it? :wink::whistle:

Freya
27th-July-2006, 11:14 PM
Go for it pmjd! Sure you'd be ace!

by the by was considering doing the role reversal! But it's just as difficult finding a partner willing to do this!

Could we have same sex comp next year I think I'd have much better luck finding a female partner! :sick:

Little Monkey
28th-July-2006, 12:05 AM
Could we have same sex comp next year I think I'd have much better luck finding a female partner! :sick:

I entered the intermediate with a female friend (Skippy) two years ago! We didn't have any time to practice, and just did it as a joke, but got through to the semi finals! :D I think a few people were a bit p*ssed off, as we beat lots of couples who'd been practicing for ages for this comp..... :rolleyes:

It was good fun, though!

And yeah, I wouldn't mind doing the reverse roles thing, either..... Maybe I should start training Sheepy to follow? :D

Little Monkey
28th-July-2006, 12:08 AM
If not maybe the lucky dip could be better than you expect:waycool:

Well, I did get to the finals in the lucky dip at Musselburgh two years ago, which was good fun! Although my partner didn't have time to dance with me at all between the heats, as he was practicing with his competition partner for advanced (or whatever category it was he was in...)

At the last lucky dip I did, however, I got the worst dancer in the room, and just wanted to walk off the floor. The git then proceeded to stalk me for the rest of the night, too, seeming to think that since we'd competed together, we should spend the rest of the evening dancing together! :sick:

Freya
28th-July-2006, 12:22 AM
At the last lucky dip I did, however, I got the worst dancer in the room, and just wanted to walk off the floor. The git then proceeded to stalk me for the rest of the night, too, seeming to think that since we'd competed together, we should spend the rest of the evening dancing together! :sick:
Were you leading in the lucky dip?????:confused: :confused:

And yeah, I wouldn't mind doing the reverse roles thing, either..... Maybe I should start training Sheepy to follow?Well he keeps talking bout me leading him so......! And a little bird told me he was competing :whistle:

Little Monkey
28th-July-2006, 09:59 AM
Were you leading in the lucky dip?????:confused: :confused:

Eh, no? Why?

Well he keeps talking bout me leading him so......! And a little bird told me he was competing :whistle:

Who?:confused:

pmjd
28th-July-2006, 01:25 PM

:o possibly...maybe...not sure:blush:

I'll have a think about it:flower:

pmjd
28th-July-2006, 01:30 PM
by the by was considering doing the role reversal! But it's just as difficult finding a partner willing to do this!

Look like it's hard enough to find a male partner, let alone one who's in touch with their feminine side:rofl:

Freya
28th-July-2006, 01:33 PM
Eh, no? Why?

At the last lucky dip I did, however, I got the worst dancer in the room, and just wanted to walk off the floor. The GIT then proceeded to stalk me for the rest of the night, too, seeming to think that since we'd competed together, we should spend the rest of the evening dancing together! :sick:

Lol Read this as Girl!!!!!!! Oooops :blush: :blush:

Sheepman
12th-August-2006, 02:18 AM
Lol Read this as Girl!!!!!!! You silly git! :wink: :hug:

Greg

Little Monkey
14th-August-2006, 12:30 PM
Look like it's hard enough to find a male partner, let alone one who's in touch with their feminine side:rofl:

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder what Greg will look like in a pink, frilly frock? :whistle: :rofl:

Gav
12th-September-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Little Wiggle.
Seen your profile on dancepartner, in fact you came up very high in my search results, but it's the old location problem again. Me that is, Norwich really is inaccesible. :mad:
Having said that, I would travel somewhere halfway to see if we can "gel". What do you think?
I'm Gav74 on dancepartner, btw.

littlewiggle
13th-September-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi Gav,

PM on the way!

LW x

Gav
15th-September-2006, 10:03 AM
Looks like I killed your thread and we're both still looking for partners!

Soooowwwwwwy! :blush:
x.

jive_me
15th-September-2006, 10:53 AM
I read that as Northwich and was very interested for a second...and then realised that instead of living an hour away you live about 4 hours away :eek: good luck with the searching guys.

xXx:flower:

littlewiggle
15th-September-2006, 11:09 AM
Looks like I killed your thread and we're both still looking for partners!

Soooowwwwwwy! :blush:
x.

No not at all! :hug: You mean you aren't prepare to relocate:really: Well some people just don't make any effort:D Only joking honey!!;)

Gav
15th-September-2006, 12:14 PM
No not at all! :hug: You mean you aren't prepare to relocate:really: Well some people just don't make any effort:D Only joking honey!!;)

Trust me, if my ex would up sticks and move back to somewhere civilised with my 3 lovely kids, I wouldn't still be out in the middle of nowhere and it probably wouldn't be as difficult to find a partner! :tears: