PDA

View Full Version : Best dance film scenes?

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 08:31 PM
What particular scenes in dance films have done it for you, and why?

For me, a couple that spring to mind are:

- Take The Lead: the Tango scene at the middle. OK, ballroom not AT, but whooo... :)
- Dirty Dancing: the scene early on where they're all dancing in a big group to "Do you love me" - if only Ceroc venues were like that :tears:

Ghost
7th-June-2006, 01:27 AM
What particular scenes in dance films have done it for you, and why?
Dirty dancing - when he's teaching her to dance with the blonde lady shadowing behind her and then dancing with her - simple, graceful moves. The scene where he's trying to teach her the opening move and she keeps laughing, because it's just beautiful to watch the shift from serious to :rofl:

Flashdance. Love "the dancer's pose" she does in the end sequence. Love the whole sequence really, great idea to combine the dance styles. Plus the ice skating scene where her friend loses it and falls over and gets up and carries on :respect: (*)

Footloose - ok it's not the greatest choregraphy, but they've all having so much fun and Lori Singer's front kick with lean back is superb :worthy:

Not exactly dance films but,

Michael - the bar scene with the women - now that's how to do Double Trouble. Lovely display of ladies playing and really getting into it.

13 going on 30 the Thriller scene. The way the energy shifts from just her dancing alone to everyone wanting to be there to.

Dance in beauty
Christopher
(* Yeah, yeah I know she doesn't get up the second time, breaks my heart to watch it :tears:)

Sheepman
7th-June-2006, 01:51 AM
Here's a few oldies
Stormy Weather That amazing finale with the Nicholas Brothers.

Painting The Clouds With Sunshine A crap film, but the 3 dance sequences are impressive.

1941 Another dire film, but with a great Jitterbug routine.

And what was the Marx Brothers film, with the dance routine done to "Watch The Birdie"?

Greg

Divissima
7th-June-2006, 09:28 AM
The rueda scene in 'Shall We Dance' is great fun.

I also love the tango in 'Moulin Rouge' - so much better to watch without the cutting to Ewan McGregor moping about in the rain (the DVD version I have has several of the dance scenes uncut plus footage of rehearsals). So maybe not strictly a scene from the film, but so dark and intense.

And my two favourite Fred'n'Ginge dance sequences: 'Cheek to Cheek' from Top Hat (I think), and the great scene from 'Swing Time' where they leap back and forward over some low railings while they are dancing.

Sparkles
7th-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Plup Fiction - Jack Rabbit Slims Twist Contest to "You Never Can Tell", has gotta be up there with the best IMO.

TiggsTours
7th-June-2006, 10:07 AM
Stormy Weather That amazing finale with the Nicholas Brothers.

The one on the stairs? Oh yes! yes! without any shaddow of a doubt! If you haven't seen it, find it somewhere and watch it! Truely awesome! and I'm not given to using that word easily!

Failing that, anything from West Side Story does it for me really.

clevedonboy
7th-June-2006, 10:08 AM
And what was the Marx Brothers film, with the dance routine done to "Watch The Birdie"?

Greg

I think you're referring to Hellzapoppin' (not Marx Bros) the lead in that clip is Dean Collins dancing with Martha Raye. Later in the movie is the Jam scene with Frankie Manning & Ann Johnson - just unbelievable

both clips can be found at:

http://poy.no/vintage/

There is a famous Lindy clip from A Day At The Races danced to All Gods Children Got Rhythm - that one features Whitey's Lindy Hoppers

A more recent Lindy sequence is from Macolm X danced to "Flying Home".

And if it ever makes it to the screen the Outkast film "Idlewild" should contain some stonking scenes if it lives up to the trailer.

philsmove
7th-June-2006, 10:14 AM
Lesson 11 The Tango Lesson (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120275/)

Donna
7th-June-2006, 12:27 PM
I have to go with DJ on this one:-

- Take The Lead: the Tango scene at the middle. OK, ballroom not AT, but whooo... :)

Chilling or what!!!

Also J Lo and Richare Gere strutting their stuff in the dance studio to Santa Maria - Gotang.

I keep requesting this at freestyles now :D and we've done all our demos to this record! :clap:

Lynn
7th-June-2006, 01:01 PM
Also J Lo and Richare Gere strutting their stuff in the dance studio to Santa Maria - Gotang.

I keep requesting this at freestyles now :D and we've done all our demos to this record! :clap:I love that track but found myself FF past it in the car this moring as I hear it so much, not just at freestyles but as background on TV (and pops up on my own CD compilations a lot too)

PS its by Gotan Project.

Chicklet
7th-June-2006, 01:24 PM
The comp scene at the end of Shag (and a few bits in the middle too).

Sheepman
7th-June-2006, 02:10 PM
Plup Fiction Wasn't that the crap sequel, that just runs and runs? :wink:

Greg

Sparkles
7th-June-2006, 03:36 PM
Wasn't that the crap sequel, that just runs and runs? :wink:

Ooops :blush:
I thought it didn't look right, but couldn't work out what was wrong with it.

Not to self: never become an editor of *anything*!

I did, of course, mean Pulp Fiction

Rhythm King
7th-June-2006, 04:09 PM
A lot of my faves have already been listed, although of you liked Plup Fiction", you should see Tarantino's other masterpiece "Reservoir Bogs".

There's a great scene in "The Fisher King" where Robin Williams or Jeff Bridges (or maybe even both :confused: ) goes into Grand Central Station and observes a thronging mass of rush hour travellers. As he walks across the concourse, they suddenly all partner up and start dancing something akin to a viennese waltz around him. As he gets to the other side the music finishes and they split into a randomly moving mass again.

Stuart
7th-June-2006, 04:34 PM
Singing in the Rain especially the bit in the rain.

Mostlysane
8th-June-2006, 02:18 PM
Shake your tail feather from the blues brothers. :grin:

bigdjiver
8th-June-2006, 03:13 PM
I like the fun dance scene from "Cannery row" with Nick Nolte, apart from the comment "It did not occur to either of them that they weren't any good."

DangerousCurves
8th-June-2006, 03:25 PM
Don't think anyone has mentioned Strictly Ballroom yet...

I loved most of the dance sequences in that... but in particular the rumba to "perhaps, perhaps, perhaps" in the middle and the end dance sequence where our hero and heroine triumph at the championships even after the music has been switched off....

Rhythm King
8th-June-2006, 05:42 PM
Don't think anyone has mentioned Strictly Ballroom yet...

I loved most of the dance sequences in that... but in particular the rumba to "perhaps, perhaps, perhaps" in the middle and the end dance sequence where our hero and heroine triumph at the championships even after the music has been switched off....

And the Paso Doble - "Muy buen, Fran"

RogerR
8th-June-2006, 06:32 PM
The mantlepiece bit from The Tango Lesson.

Zebra Woman
8th-June-2006, 07:06 PM
The Mask Of Zorro (Ok I'm biased :blush: )

The Thomas Crown Affair, especially the bit when he says ' Do you wanna dance? Or do you wanna dance?' :drool:

Agree with Divisssima the Roxanne Tango without the cuts to Ewan McGregor, plus everything in the Tango Lesson :worthy: .

There is a film called Tango which has two women cutting in and kind of fighting over a man during a dance. One is very young and beautiful the other is very sexy and experienced. :drool:

The Bridges Of Madison County, when they dance...

Dirty dancing, the scene when they are in his room, and Patrick Swazye has no top on.

Sorry, I've had a glass of wine on an empty stomach :blush:

Stuart M
8th-June-2006, 11:33 PM
There's a great scene in "The Fisher King" where Robin Williams or Jeff Bridges (or maybe even both ) goes into Grand Central Station and observes a thronging mass of rush hour travellers. As he walks across the concourse, they suddenly all partner up and start dancing something akin to a viennese waltz around him. As he gets to the other side the music finishes and they split into a randomly moving mass again.
Sorry, at best only Number 2 in dance scenes directed by Pythons.

All together now...

"Every sperm is sacred..."

I think Terry Jones missed his true calling.

Rhythm King
9th-June-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry, at best only Number 2 in dance scenes directed by Pythons.

All together now...

"Every sperm is sacred..."

I think Terry Jones missed his true calling.
Nah - "We're Knights of the Round Table" is better than that, IMHO

Beowulf
9th-June-2006, 02:45 PM
The "More than a woman" scene from Short Circuit where Johnny 5 has Ali Sheedy on his locomotive tracks going round and round and round. :eek: :wink:

ok.. so in all fairness it's a lousy dance scene.. but come on.. Ali Sheedy :drool: :love:

straycat
9th-June-2006, 03:10 PM
Orchestra Wives (another great Nicholas brothers sequence)
The Mask.
Some nice stuff in Dirty Dancing 2 (yes, I know - but it's a lot better than the title would suggest, and I enjoyed it a lot more than that dismal Take the Lead remake)
The tango in Mr & Mrs Smith (the dancing may not be up to much, but the chemistry more than makes up for it)
Tango in True Lies (OK - so I'm joking about that one - Arnie's a dismal dancer)
Chicago - All That Jazz & Cell Block Tango

too many to list, really. Back to work :)