PDA

View Full Version : "Who's going where this weekends" threads - do we need them?

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 08:04 PM
Ooh, my first poll since my resurrection as DarkDJ :)

Because, frankly, they don't do much for me (and I doubt I'm the only one) - they always seem quite provincial (eg. usually not Scotland) and pointless (there's very little information in them about each venue - merits / drawbacks etc.)

If we have to have them, how about doing something clever like linking them to Lyndaslist.com, so that at least we don't need to have polls for them... Or possibly saying something about the venue(s) in question?

Trousers
6th-June-2006, 08:37 PM
What about the Singleton's Sofa - surely the damn thing is threadbare now isn't it about time this was retired and a couple of high back armchairs and a commode were brought in?

Lory
6th-June-2006, 09:29 PM
Confession time....

I do believe it was me who first invented them:blush: when the first BFG was announced

It's nice to know who we can look forward to meeting at the major events but they do seemed to have gotten a bit out on control of late :rolleyes:

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 09:42 PM
I think its also nice to find out what's going on :D
Cos I'm a lazy birdie and the Ar$e factor gets in the way when looking up stuff :eek:

under par
6th-June-2006, 09:54 PM
Because, frankly, they don't do much for me (and I doubt I'm the only one) - they always seem quite provincial (eg. usually not Scotland) and pointless

They may well do nothing for you!

They obviously do do something for some people otherwise there would not be so many so often.

It has become more of a social type of thread for those that wish to go dancing together mainly in the southeast of England.

There is no reason why other dancers from other areas could not do the same and start a thread.

I personally use these threads to see where many forumites may be going when Mrs Par and I have an opportunity to get out dancing which isn't very often.
It helps me plan our itinary to know where our friends may be.

I like to go where there are other forum members as I always have difficulty mixing in large groups of unknown dancers.

Wanting to dance where your friends dance is nice.

I wish they could be more inclusive ie cover Scotland but if the Scottish options are limited then a thread covering Scottish venue options would be pointless.

There is only a need for a thread if there are numerous options available in a region.

If there is only one venue open why poll?

If you don't travel much for your dancing and are content dancing at your own venues these threads are pointless.

If you prefer not to be part of larger groups of like minded fun loving forum members at varying locations then the threads are also pointless.

There are many other more drivellous types of thread that you could try and improve first.

These threads are harmless and uncontentious but are for some people informative. I suggest if you don't like them don't read them.

Paul F
6th-June-2006, 10:17 PM
They may well do nothing for you!

They obviously do do something for some people otherwise there would not be so many so often.

:yeah:

Totally agree. I make no bones about wanting to go to a venue that I know will have friends and dancers in attendance that I enjoy dancing with.

Keep 'em coming.

Lynn
6th-June-2006, 10:17 PM
These threads are harmless and uncontentious but are for some people informative. I suggest if you don't like them don't read them. OK, I agree that we possibly don't need to have these threads every weekend - and yes, sometimes I feel jealous of all the fab dancing and dancers that I'm missing - but threads about what is on and who is going gives me some ideas of where and what I can go to if I feel like a visit.

And of course if I'm coming over for a visit then I think they are an excellent idea.:grin:

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 10:35 PM
There are many other more drivellous types of thread that you could try and improve first.
Ooohhh... go on then, name and shame, I dare you. No, I double dare you. :na:

I suggest if you don't like them don't read them.
Yeah - but you can say that about any critique of any thread, surely?
Should we never criticize a thread then, no matter how drivellous (Good word, that :clap: ), simply because we're not forced to read it?

frodo
6th-June-2006, 10:40 PM
These threads are harmless ...
Not sure about that. While I think they are often helpful, it is possible they could be harmful where they don't contain a reasonably complete set of options for a travel to dance area.

After all you can have 24 items on a poll :)

under par
6th-June-2006, 11:23 PM
:

Yeah - but you can say that about any critique of any thread, surely?
Should we never criticize a thread then, no matter how drivellous (Good word, that :clap: ), simply because we're not forced to read it?

But surely with this type of thread you get exactly what it says on the side of the tin. (Its in the title!!)

Yes ! Yes ! It is there in the title of the thread.

If you want to show an interest in any venues other than your own regular venues OR want to know where other posters on this forum are heading off to this weekend or next, then you know exactly where to look.

It has to be a lot less drivellous than trawling through mountains of PMs (yes I do like DRIVELLOUS!!!!)

To read or not to read this is the ? :rofl:

Ghost
7th-June-2006, 01:12 AM
I've never really gotten the point of these polls, but if people want to know which event I'm going to I'm happy to spend 3 seconds clicking on the right box. I always took it to be more an excuse for athread to say how wonderful everything was after and thank all the lovely people involved - and although not everyone's cup of tea, I think on balance probably a good thing :grin:

It's been pointed out to me that you can't change your mind once you've voted, so the polls can be misleading anyway....

Be Well
Christopher

(As for deleting the Singletons Sofa - I was severely tempted to start a second one when it got to just below 10,000 - can you have two threads with identical titles? :devil:)

DavidY
7th-June-2006, 07:58 AM
If we have to have them, how about doing something clever like linking them to Lyndaslist.comUK-Jive did this test message (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82755#post82755) almost 2 years ago which still shows the next event for a particular organisation.

Would it be possible for someone clever to do something similar which took data from uk-jive showing events for a particular weekend?

Then the first page in the thread would automatically update as long as organisers added their information (most are on uk-jive anyway, and it's more National than Lyndaslist). Probably wouldn't work as a poll though.

As others have said - a major factor in many people's decision on where to dance is knowing who else will be going. And these threads do help this process.

David Bailey
7th-June-2006, 08:51 AM
UK-Jive did this test message (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82755#post82755) almost 2 years ago which still shows the next event for a particular organisation.
That's a :waycool: feature :respect:

Cor, these computers are dead clever, aren't they? :grin:

It has to be a lot less drivellous than trawling through mountains of PMs (yes I do like DRIVELLOUS!!!!)
I notice you haven't nominated the most drivellous threads :whistle:

Cluck, cluck, cluck...:innocent:

under par
7th-June-2006, 09:12 AM
I notice you haven't nominated the most drivellous threads :whistle:
:

I'm not going to either because I just don't bother reading them.

I like to take my own advice.

What I consider drivellous will be someone elses superentertaineous thread.

Live and let post..

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2006, 09:28 AM
Would it be possible for someone clever to do something similar which took data from uk-jive showing events for a particular weekend?Ah, you see, there already is a thread that has exactly that feature. The trouble is, someone even cleverer wrote an Automatic Franck program that immediately moderates out the thread for advertising.

Computers - bloomin' marvellous.

fletch
7th-June-2006, 01:31 PM
So where is every one going this weekend?

and next week end?

:D

TiggsTours
7th-June-2006, 01:33 PM
UK-Jive did this test message (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82755#post82755) almost 2 years ago which still shows the next event for a particular organisation.

Very nice, but it doesn't tell you who's going. I like the "who's going where threads" because that's what I want to know. If I just wanted to know what was on, I could find that out from Lyndas list, along with other sources of information, or start off a "what's on" thread. The "who's going where" threads are for those nights when nothing springs out of the list at you, so you can narrow down your options by finding out where your friends will be.

Probably the main reason these threads are all centred around the same area of the country is because we're the ones that are lucky enough to be faced with so many options! If there's only one dance on in a 20 mile radius of where you live, why bother asking where people will be, its obvious! The same happens here in London too, the weekends when there's not much on, but its the first weekend of the month, and Hammersmith is on, you know, Hipsters, then Hammersmith, no need to ask, on those weekends, these threads never get posted.

Tazmanian Devil
7th-June-2006, 01:36 PM
*pokes tounge out at DJ* :rofl:

I think they are great, I totally agree with UP, PaulF, Fletch, WB etc it is a way we can all find out exactly what is on and where everyone will be. Keep em coming :D

David Bailey
7th-June-2006, 01:40 PM
I think they are great, I totally agree with UP, PaulF, Fletch, WB etc it is a way we can all find out exactly what is on and where everyone will be. Keep em coming :D
Well yes - from my POV, it's helpful to see where all the forumites are going... :innocent: :whistle:

(and :na: back at you)

(and it's "tongue" :na: )

Zebra Woman
7th-June-2006, 02:09 PM

I find them very useful, I think they are also handy for people who want to avoid large and allegedly cliquey gatherings of forumites...

Eh David? :na:

David Bailey
7th-June-2006, 03:37 PM
Eh David? :na:
Well, theoretically, I'd imagine that would be a beneficial but unintended side-effect, yes. Doesn't make the threads any less drivellous...

Trousers
7th-June-2006, 04:11 PM

Cliquey Cliquey Cliquey indeed

Why do you need to know where everyone will be.
Surely there are people at venues that don't use the forum and by golly I bet some of them can dance too!
Possibly if you were travelling miles n miles it could prove useful (questioably) but it's not gonna stop me going to one venue over another. Am i odd or do i have a mind of my own still?

Welcome back DJ - I must admit to having missed the good discussions of late.

fletch
7th-June-2006, 04:20 PM
Am i odd or do i have a mind of my own still?

I think we a re both odd :rofl:

But defiantly you have a mind of your own :wink:

Any way where you going at the weekend :D

Aleks
7th-June-2006, 06:07 PM
I wish they could be more inclusive ie cover Scotland

but if the Scottish options are limited then a thread covering Scottish venue options would be pointless.
There's rarely more than one event on a night but I'd still like to see them included.

Gadget
7th-June-2006, 08:28 PM
I would like to see "Scotland", "England", "London", "N-Ireland" and "World" sub-sections of the "social" forum that you could opt in/out of on the "recent posts".

But asides from that, I think that it builds to the anticipation of an event: "cool X is going - must look for them to grab a dance with!" or "Havn't seen X for aaages - must remember to take y with me" or "awww, I hoped to see X but they can't make it"... etc.

under par
7th-June-2006, 09:17 PM

There's rarely more than one event on a night but I'd still like to see them included.

Okay you poll thread starters, (not me I might add!) Please consider the Scottish options too so our northern cousins can participate in the fun and games.

Don't forget the Midlands,........ the Southwest, .........the Northwest, ......the NorthEast or........ the East or......... the North or .........the West neither should you forget ............a principality called Whales (sorry! just poking fun!) nor........... Eire or ............... Northern Ireland.

Ooops and of course London and the Home Counties!!!:whistle:

Tazmanian Devil
7th-June-2006, 10:04 PM
(and :na: back at you)

(and it's "tongue" :na: )
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cliquey Cliquey Cliquey indeed
:what:

Why do you need to know where everyone will be.
Surely there are people at venues that don't use the forum and by golly I bet some of them can dance too!
I was not saying that people whom are not on the forum cannot dance at all. When I travel to these venues I dance with many people whom I have not met before and who are not on the forum as well as people who are on the forum it's just nice to have my friends around me also.

Possibly if you were travelling miles n miles it could prove useful (questioably) but it's not gonna stop me going to one venue over another. Am i odd or do i have a mind of my own still?
No you are not odd and I still have a mind of my own. At the weekend I generally travel for at least an hour to go to venues where I will meet up with friends I haven't seen during the week at my regular venues. If that means cliquey then maybe I am.

Next time you are at a venue that I am at please save a dance for me :D

Trousers
8th-June-2006, 02:29 AM
I think we a re both odd :rofl:

But defiantly you have a mind of your own :wink:

Any way where you going at the weekend :D

pmsl
you star xxx

as to weekend, abstinance seems the way but if i was i would go to Winsford
I like dwas comps

i go just so there aint anyone stranger

Trousers
8th-June-2006, 02:30 AM
so you r a girl?

all those teeeth i was scared

Trousers
8th-June-2006, 02:35 AM

so you r a girl?

all those teeeth i was scared

actually im toying with you *cough* i knew u were a girly *cough*
ermmmm where do you dance then? not that i'd be at all influenced by that information *splutter*

Tazmanian Devil
8th-June-2006, 08:37 AM
actually im toying with you *cough* i knew u were a girly *cough*
ermmmm where do you dance then? not that i'd be at all influenced by that information *splutter*
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I dance all over london and kent check out the polls for details :devil:

fletch
8th-June-2006, 08:45 AM
Don't forget the Midlands,........

You can forget the Midlands :eek:

WittyBird
8th-June-2006, 08:46 AM
You can forget the Midlands :eek:

I will 2nd that :what:

Northants Girly
8th-June-2006, 10:38 AM
I will 2nd that :what:So you guys aren't coming to the next Daventry freestyle then?? :whistle:

Trousers
8th-June-2006, 06:00 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I dance all over london and kent check out the polls for details :devil:
I ain't coming near you!

Just checked ya profile picture - you seem to have a penchant for sucking out the brains of men!!! AAArrrgghhhhh :what:

fletch
8th-June-2006, 06:02 PM
So you guys aren't coming to the next Daventry freestyle then?? :whistle:
Daventry is South to me, not the Midlands, almost London only another 30 mins to S38 house.

We lovvvvve Daventry :respect:

Gadget
8th-June-2006, 08:17 PM
Okay you poll thread starters, (not me I might add!) Please consider the Scottish options too so our northern cousins can participate in the fun and games.

Don't forget the Midlands,........ the Southwest, .........the Northwest, ......the NorthEast or........ the East or......... the North or .........the West neither should you forget ............a principality called Whales (sorry! just poking fun!) nor........... Eire or ............... Northern Ireland.

Ooops and of course London and the Home Counties!!!:whistle:
The "Midlands" is generally referred to as "Perthshire" or "Argyle",
"Southwest" is probably "Ayrshire" or "Dumfries & Galloway",
"Northwest" is "Highlands",
"NorthEast" is "Aberdeenshire" or perhaps "Angus"
"East" is normally "Edinburugh" or "Lothian"
"West" is generally "Glasgow" or "Strathclyde"
"North" is "Orkney" or "Shetland Isles" {no dance principality there yet, but give Franck time...}
and "South" is the "Borders"

I know that some people get easily confused by simply calling somewhere "The NorthEast", so it would probably be better if you refer to the area using the above - just to save confusion of course :flower:

Tazmanian Devil
9th-June-2006, 09:31 AM
I ain't coming near you!

Just checked ya profile picture - you seem to have a penchant for sucking out the brains of men!!! AAArrrgghhhhh :what:

But ..... but..... but I am running out of victims and need some new Blood :devil:

fletch
11th-June-2006, 02:10 AM

But ..... but..... but I am running out of victims and need some new Blood :devil:
I allways new you were a bit of a vamp :D

Miss Conduct
11th-June-2006, 03:05 AM
I now need a thread like this more than ever. I have just been informed that next Friday, 16th June, Ashton's Friday freesyle night has been CANCELLED!

Someone please tell me where else is there to dance, worth a trip from Bedford, next weekend???

Beowulf
12th-June-2006, 01:35 PM
(As for deleting the Singletons Sofa - I was severely tempted to start a second one when it got to just below 10,000 - can you have two threads with identical titles? :devil:)

speaking as someone who does a bit for another (non dance related) forum using the same forum software here what we do there is usually lock the original thread and then start a new one <THREAD TITLE Pt 2>

There is no reason why the new thread can't have the same name as the MySQL database in the background assign each post an unique post ID. The Pt 2 just makes for ease of finding a particular post.

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 11:53 PM
The Pt 2 just makes for ease of finding a particular post. :confused: So you have to search two threads rather than one? :confused: