PDA

View Full Version : New in town!

AmericanInAberdeen
6th-June-2006, 12:02 AM
Hiya!

my name is Jess, just thought I'd introduce myself, and ask a few questions.

I'm an American getting ready to move over to Aberdeen in August, and I'm an avid swing dancer, mostly east coast swing and lindy hop... so, I thought I'd try and see what I could find in Aberdeen that was like it, and I came across this very interesting little dance called Ceroc!

My questions are: how much like 6 count and 8 count swing is ceroc? Where should I go to learn to dance ceroc in Aberdeen? And, does anyone know if there are any swing/lindy clubs in the Aberdeen area?
I'm a swing-aholic, and live in a place with the biggest swing scene in America (the place I go usually sees 500-700 people a night!) and I just cant bear not being able to do it (or something like it) while in Scotland!
I was very excited to learn that ceroc has some roots in swing, so I hope that it wont be too difficult to pick up.

Thanks so much, and I look forward to learning this!

-Jess

Freya
6th-June-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Jess,

I can't really answer the technical questions so I'll leave that to the likes of Gadget and Co. :wink: What I can say is that if you can do Swing/lindy then you'll be more than able to do Ceroc.

Unfortunately Aberdeen pales in comparison to where you are at the moment. However we have three ceroc nights. Tuesday in culter, Wednesday and Thursday at Jumpin' Jaks on Union Street.

As far as I know there isn't any actual lindy/swing clubs in the area...In fact I'm sure there isn't! However a load of us go downstairs from Jumpin' Jaks to Chicago Rock to Keep on Dancing and Quite often just head out to a club other nights.

Where are you staying in Aberdeen?

Welcome to the fold I'm sure you'll Enjoy it!

Keep in touch and we'll see you in August.

Freya xXx :flower: :hug:

pmjd
6th-June-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi Jess,

welcome to the forum, hope the move goes well!

I've just started learning west coast swing and have found it very different to ceroc which I've done for a couple of years. Ceroc more has moves which vary greatly in their counts, not really the fixed 6 and 8 beat moves I've come across in WCS. There are more swing and lindy classes in Edinburgh, might be handy for the odd trip down to get your fix of swing/lindy:D (Edinburgh is 130 miles away). A good site to look at for swing classes in Edinburgh is http://www.boogienights.net/ There is also a monthly WCS class in Dundee, which is 65 miles from Aberdeen.

Ceroc is very friendly and sociable and a lot of the dancers do other sorts of dancing, I'm sure there will be some swing or lindy dancing partners in Aberdeen. Ceroc also do alot of parties for which dancers all over the uk come too and are great for meeting folk who do alot of other dance styles.

Right I'm sure that's enough for starters:wink:

ducasi
6th-June-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Jess,

We recently had a visitor from Florida over in this country who was a Lindy Hopper – when I met her I guess she might have been to a couple of events and she seemed to have had no bother adapting.

Key differences between swing in general and Modern Jive (the generic name for Ceroc dancing) is that there is no mandatory footwork, and as a direct consequence of this, moves don't have to fit around 6- or 8-beat patterns.

You might want to take a look at some of the videos here (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ceroc) to get a flavour of the dance...

Hope you enjoy living in Aberdeen – I know from experience that the people there are all really friendly. :)

AmericanInAberdeen
6th-June-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the responses!

I dont know where I'm going to live yet! When it gets closer to August, I'll start searching out for a flatmate... I'm really looking forward to the move, and I hope that I can meet a bunch of people by going out dancing. :) I've met a ton of people through my swing and lindy lessons, so I'm sure taking ceroc lessons will find me making just as many friends... which will be great, as I'm moving to Aberdeen without knowing a single soul! (brave, eh?)

So anyway, I look forward to learning more about this, and getting to know some of you better!

thanks!!

-Jess

P.S the videos were interesting!

Piglet
6th-June-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Jess,

Can't think of anything to add to above except there are also Tango and Salsa classes as well as Ballroom around Aberdeen - but start off with Ceroc cos we're a really friendly bunch. I've never tried the others so can't say anything about them, but you'll find some of the same faces in each of the different dance styles. There's often titbits of dance offered at City Moves which is a council-run (I think) dance centre.

Just really wanted to say hello and look forward to meeting you in August - keep in touch :hug:

Tiggerbabe
6th-June-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Jess,

You might want to send a pm to Swing Swing Swing, he used to be (maybe still is) involved in the "Swing" scene in Edinburgh, there is a lot of lindy there, but none that I'm aware of in Aberdeen.

See you in August,
Sheena :)

Monika
6th-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Look forward to welcoming you to Scotland :flower:
Good choice :clap: I moved to Scotland - first Aberdeen then onwards to Dundee 5 years ago and best decision I've ever made - really nice bunch of people and just such a lovely place :clap:. Hope you will settle in just fine.

As Sheena mentioned, there is Swing and Lindy dancing in Edinburgh so in addition to trying Ceroc in Aberdeen you can also have a go at week-end workshops and parties and classes in Edinburgh too. Easy to get to with bus, train or lift with fellow dancers :) You'll find that a lot of the Scottish dancers travel around Scotland to enjoy dancing at different venues depending on what is on. It is also fun to try different dance-styles from time to time.
Nearer the time you might also want to get some advice on where to stay in Aberdeen depending on what you'll be doing as a few of us know the city quite well and would be happy to assist you settling in :)

Take care
Mon x :hug:

Gadget
6th-June-2006, 12:46 PM
:yeah: What they all said.

Personally, I really like Aberdeen because it's like a village the size of a city (or a city the size of a village); lots of 'community' spirit and always seem to bump into folk you know. {...well, perhaps not immediatly :wink:}

Socially, if you are willing to travel, there is a party every weekend somewhere in Scotland - once you start, you will find a few familure faces keep poping up no matter which party you go to :D

As to the dancing, you will probably find Ceroc very similar to Swing from the look of it and should be able to follow the good leads with ease.

Hope you settle in and join us :D

Gadget

MartinHarper
6th-June-2006, 03:38 PM
This gives me a good opportunity to break out a link to one of my favourite yehoodi threads:

What *is* ceroc? (http://www.yehoodi.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73281&highlight=ceroc)

David Franklin
6th-June-2006, 04:10 PM
This gives me a good opportunity to break out a link to one of my favourite yehoodi threads:Albeit possibly not one of Robert Winter's favourites...