PDA

View Full Version : Southport June 06; the aftermath

tiger
3rd-June-2006, 03:20 PM
......well

senorita
5th-June-2006, 09:12 AM
so how was it guys???...:D
Want details of everything plz??(music, dance, atmosphere, BBQ) plz post photos asap please

was the weather good up there??

Missy D
5th-June-2006, 09:19 AM
I want to hear that it was really awful, music was dire, no good dancers and that it snowed everyday.:flower:

El Salsero Gringo
5th-June-2006, 09:38 AM
I want to hear that it was really awful, music was dire, no good dancers and that it snowed everyday.:flower:It was really awful, the music was dire, there were no good dancers, and - whaddya know - it snowed every day.

Chef
5th-June-2006, 11:33 AM
Southport aftermath.

I really liked this weekend. It seems to have an air of quiet, well organised efficiency. The teachers were all of the very highest calibre and I enjoyed the lessons that I could get to immensely. It is always deeply frustrating when there are clashing classes and this was a regular feature of this weekend because there was just so much top notch lessons about. All I can say is that I did all that my body and brain could stand.

I have ordered the DVD of this weekend because there was so much top stuff and this is going to be a very reasonable £15 plus p&p. Other organisers please note - £27 for a video note book of lessons that I have already been to – no thanks. At £27 a few friends may buy one and share it between them but at £15 I would buy my own to save me the trouble of organising a sharing group. You will sell more copies and make more profit by offering them at an attractive price. We live in a world of cheap DVD writers after all. Not condoning the practice, just telling it like it is.

There was so much that is just right about Southport as a weekender and so very little that I didn’t like that to point out the bits I didn’t like seems just so nit picking (but here goes anyway). The blues room is just too small – but only because it is so popular. Most of the night it was utterly heaving and that got to be deeply frustrating at times esp when dancers enter the dance floor with 30 seconds of track remaining and walk backwards onto the floor between you and your partner. Basically there were some real muppets about but that is not unique to Southport. Next thing – I don’t know the name of the DJ in the blues room about 2-3am on Sunday morning (but Trampy took over from him) but I suddenly found that the music seemed to have gone all Disco. The floor was still full, I just didn’t like it and it didn’t fit my own expectations of a blues room in the early hours. Just personal choice really. Trampy then recaptured the mood for me and I stayed on until 6am and had a wonderful time.

Something that really worked for me was having video screens that projected the view of the stage onto a big screen. So often I can see the upper body of the teachers but am unable to get a clear view of the feet of the teachers. This was a great feature of Southport and I would really like to see it as a standard feature of every weekender that I attend.

As for dances. I had fab dances with all of those people that I expected to have fab dances with – so I will say no more.

BUT

The wonderful and unexpected find of my weekend was a lady called Fiona. I had danced with her a year ago at Camber to some fast swingy tracks after being introduced by Fletch. This time we met in the blues room to slow blues music. The two dances I had with her were some dances like I have never had the pleasure of before. For the very first time I had a woman give herself to me totally and become as if she was part of my own self. It was like lounging in a warm swimming pool and languidly feeling the water to flow as you move your body. Unforgettable

The worst bit of the weekend was having to leave at 5pm on the Sunday to be back at work for important meetings the next day.

WittyBird
5th-June-2006, 01:56 PM
Absolutely amazing I loved every minute of it. Unfortunately Mind was willing Body was Fcuked.

Will post detailed report when I get home :D

fletch
5th-June-2006, 02:42 PM
Southport aftermath.

It seems to have an air of quiet,

It certainly wasn't quirt where I was:rofl:

Witty has just left for her journey home i'm sure she will post later.:sad:

I will post photo's and my verdict tomorrow, I have to work tonight:tears:

Cruella
5th-June-2006, 02:49 PM
Awesome
My best weekender ever! Too tired to think of details but congratulations to the 18 of us for beating the Southport record of dancing til 9am. :clap:

Clive Long
5th-June-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm just going to pick out the bits from Chef's posting that I agree with

Southport aftermath.

I really liked this weekend. It seems to have an air of quiet, well organised efficiency. The teachers were all of the very highest calibre and I enjoyed the lessons that I could get to immensely.

:yeah:

It is always deeply frustrating when there are clashing classes and this was a regular feature of this weekend because there was just so much top notch lessons about. All I can say is that I did all that my body and brain could stand.

Less so for me. Pleased I did the ChaCha as a fixed couple with DianaS as learning anything with any intracacy (footwork, intermediate MJ moves) I have to learn with someone who knows what they are doing. I will be really selfish about that and not rotate when I want to learn something.

I have ordered the DVD of this weekend because there was so much top stuff and this is going to be a very reasonable £15 plus p&p. Other organisers please note - £27 for a video note book of lessons that I have already been to – no thanks. At £27 a few friends may buy one and share it between them but at £15 I would buy my own to save me the trouble of organising a sharing group. You will sell more copies and make more profit by offering them at an attractive price. We live in a world of cheap DVD writers after all. Not condoning the practice, just telling it like it is.

Probably true - but I was told in the past that teachers were not paid for weekenders - they got a share of the proceeds from DVD sales - so I haven't copied a DVD that people asked me to.

The blues room is just too small – but only because it is so popular. Most of the night it was utterly heaving
I agree. But it was novel to dance outside on the decking as the weather was so fine.

Something that really worked for me was having video screens that projected the view of the stage onto a big screen. So often I can see the upper body of the teachers but am unable to get a clear view of the feet of the teachers. This was a great feature of Southport and I would really like to see it as a standard feature of every weekender that I attend.

As for dances. I had fab dances with all of those people that I expected to have fab dances with – so I will say no more.
And some wonderful, wonderful "finds". I like the opportunity of dancing with women I will rarely get the chances to dance with again.

The two dances I had with her were some dances like I have never had the pleasure of before. For the very first time I had a woman give herself to me totally and become as if she was part of my own self. It was like lounging in a warm swimming pool and languidly feeling the water to flow as you move your body. Unforgettable

This Blues stuff will repay further study.

Body was totally fcuked.

Don't some peole have all the luck?
Also.

30 minutes betwen classes to consolidate - with appropriate music. YES :clap:

Why do all the dancers you want to dance regularly with live in Dundee or Devon or Australia? - except for the ones who live in London of course, or dance regularly in London (keep digging Clive)..

ZW, I'll keep a bag of popcorn for when I go to Ashtons or Ealing.

What did people think of the Tango classes?

The time shot by. :sad:

See you all in a few months.

Clive

El Salsero Gringo
5th-June-2006, 03:11 PM
ZW, I'll keep a bag of popcorn for when I go to Ashtons or Ealing.If you can't find any popcorn, 37p in loose change works well.

fletch
5th-June-2006, 03:21 PM
Awesome
My best weekender ever! Too tired to think of details but congratulations to the 18 of us for beating the Southport record of dancing til 9am. :clap:

We must be mad:what: or just mad for it:respect:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lucy Locket
5th-June-2006, 03:33 PM
Downside:

Having someone do a drop (mention no names hope he sees this) press his face on yours then stick his tongue down your throat when you can't do anything about. Ok if you like the guy but disgusting when you don't!!:mad: :angry:

Chef
5th-June-2006, 03:33 PM
Probably true - but I was told in the past that teachers were not paid for weekenders - they got a share of the proceeds from DVD sales - so I haven't copied a DVD that people asked me to.

I have heard that in the past at Francos events the teachers only income was from shares of DVD sales. I don't know if this is still true at Francos events or if it is the same practice at all events. I did hear of a Teacher at the last Jivetime event saying in passing that they were "just off to collect their fee and where heading off for the long drive home".

Whatever happens at various events I just think that John and Wes at Southport have gotten the price point for the DVD of the event about right. I do find that these weekender DVDs are a great reminders for lessons that you have attended but they are really difficult if you try to learn stuff from lessons that you have not been to. I used to always buy weekender videos/DVDs but then the price started to creep up and so a group of friends agreed that we would each buy them in rotation but that each person in the group could ask to watch the others stuff (even before the days of DVD writers).

You know that if you want to buy a ballroom or latin instructional video the price is £60 - 90 each. I don't own any and I am told that not many are sold. If they charged £200 each then I am sure they would sell less and find them copied more.

I like the verandah area of the blues room but I won't dance on it as I feel it is too dangerous for women to turn on. They only have to catch a heel once and that is their dance weekend over. I do love the fact that the windows/doors are fully open and it keeps the whole dance area at a nice temperature.

I loved the Tango lessons. I am very much a beginner. They kept me interested, provided both content and detail and the instructors checked people individually. For me it worked completely. Many thanks to ZW and MsFab for their help in one of the lessons.

Despite very strong competition from the rockbottoms weekenders I would have to say that Southport has been my top weekender. If only I could find a less painfull way of getting to and from it from east sussex. Now if John and Wes could charter a small plane from Gatwick to the nearby airfield......................

David Franklin
5th-June-2006, 03:45 PM
Downside:

Having someone do a drop (mention no names hope he sees this) press his face on yours then stick his tongue down your throat when you can't do anything about. Ok if you like the guy but disgusting when you don't!!:mad: :angry:Eeek!

For some reason Southport does seem to get more such incidents reported than the other venues.

fletch
5th-June-2006, 03:55 PM
At the picnic on the way to Southport

David Bailey
5th-June-2006, 03:59 PM
Good bits:

The improvements since last year: 30 minutes dancing before / after classes in that style, better cooling in the Latin Quarter, continuous (72 hours?) music in the Blues Room, quick (for me) check-in, and so on. Good to see that, unlike some other organisers, John and Wes aren'y grudging innovators. :clap: And also well-done to the organisers for sorting out the weather for us :respect:
The Tango. Lots and lots of lovely tango. 3 classes, 1 2-hour (!) private class, lots of tango-able music, and several milongas. Was there also a Modern Jive weekender going on there somewhere? :innocent:
The Teachers: very high standard, from Anton and Erin down; professional and entertaining.
Latin Quarter. Friday night. All night. All I can say is, Wow. :clap:

Bad bits:

The lack of a Milonga in the Dance Den on Sunday night, for some feeble reason like the main room mixer was fcuked, and so they used the Dance Den mixer instead in the main room. The obvious solution (putting the milonga on in the Main Room) was for some reason not followed. :confused:
The excesses and the emotional crises people seem to go through regularly at these things - sorry, but these don't really add to the fun for me, call me weird on that one if you must. And if you dance until 10am and then feel strangely out of sorts the following day, there might be a small correlation there somewhere... :rolleyes:
Blues room: OK, the floor was better than last year, but it was too small, too cliquey - I didn't like it (gotta have some controversy somewhere, it's a tradition).
Latin Quarter, Sat and Sunday nights - what went wrong?? :tears:
Pontins "restaurant" - the food and service :mad:
Anticipating having to read through the inevitable luvvy lists of "Thanks for the dances" in threads like these :devil:

Memorable bits:

Calling Clive Long on my mobile outside reception on Sunday morning, only to discover that the Pontins PA system can be automatically-Bluetoothed, thus resulting in his voicemail message being broadcast around me like the Voice Of God until I managed to frantically switch my phone off... :what:
Northern Lass Chatup Lines such as "I can't believe you haven't had sex yet this weekender" :eek:
Kooky Waiter Man at the lovely Cathay Garden restaurant in Southport, trying to guess my profession and giving up, telling me I'm officially Psychically Invisible :smug icon:

Downside:

Having someone do a drop (mention no names hope he sees this) press his face on yours then stick his tongue down your throat when you can't do anything about. Ok if you like the guy but disgusting when you don't!!:mad: :angry:
Now you tell me. Sorry... :innocent:

P.S. 4,999 to go... :)

Donna
5th-June-2006, 04:00 PM
Downside:

Did you put a complaint in?

David Franklin
5th-June-2006, 04:05 PM
Good bits:
~snip~
P.S. 4,999 to go... :)http://www.horror-wood.com/slumb3.JPG

It's alive!

El Salsero Gringo
5th-June-2006, 04:06 PM
It's alive!(It's life Jim, but not as we know it.)

ducasi
5th-June-2006, 04:32 PM
Utterly Awesome.

I went to Southport with an open mind, but fearing the hype.

Well the hype was wrong – it's even better than everyone says.

Highlights – too many to mention right now. So many incredible dances though...

Lowlights – Both the main ballroom and the blues room were often too crowded. The Latin quarter and the main room were too hot – though those blowers did help!

I am so glad I had so many friends there – many of whom I'd never met before. It really made my first large-scale weekender a memorable one. :)

I'll be writing more on my blog – maybe after I've caught up on lost sleep –think I maybe managed about 10 hours sleep over the three nights and two days. :what:

Lynn
5th-June-2006, 04:40 PM
Wonderful.

A different Southport for me than past ones, but in good ways.

Will have to think about personal highlights (dare I mention tango? No, I'll leave all that to the tango thread, then I won't bore those who don't want to read about it. Been told off for talking about it too much and I haven't posted anything for a month.)

I had to 'manage' my dancing last night - very tired by 2am - do I give up and go to bed? Time to apply that dance pschology. I didn't want to give up. So I tried dancing in the main room lots to get my energy levels up - and it worked. Got into the zone with a couple of dances with a forumite and it all clicked from there. A lesson there I think.

Lucy Locket
5th-June-2006, 04:43 PM
Eeek!

For some reason Southport does seem to get more such incidents reported than the other venues.

I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but no-one & i mean no-one has the right to do this sort of thing anywhere. I was so shocked & stunned & embarrassed i didn't say anything, (yes it tarnished the weekend for me), now i'm upset & angry both for what happened & with myself for not reporting it at the time.

Yes i'll report it now (better late than never) but would anything have been done at the time.

fletch
5th-June-2006, 04:58 PM
Calling Clive Long on my mobile outside reception on Sunday morning, only to discover that the Pontins PA system can be automatically-Bluetoothed, thus resulting in his voicemail message being broadcast around me like the Voice Of God until I managed to frantically switch my phone off... :what:
Northern Lass Chatup Lines such as "I can't believe you haven't had sex yet this weekender" :eek:

P.S. 4,999 to go... :)

:D :D

I wonder how many she got through in the end.:rolleyes:

Good for her, that's what I say:respect:

Only one forumtie to my knowledge:wink: :whistle:

Lynn
5th-June-2006, 05:00 PM
The Tango. Lots and lots of lovely tango. 3 classes, 1 2-hour (!) private class, lots of tango-able music, and several milongas. Was there also a Modern Jive weekender going on there somewhere? :innocent::yeah: Welcome back DJ.

OK, I'll say it - highlight of my weekend. Especially the milonga on Sat night, I was actually dancing tango, not following a sequence of steps, but following a dance (or trying to...) I can't quite put into words how I felt but I floated back to the chalet and had to just sit for a while and unwind as I was incapable of doing anything. I was most disappointed at the Sun night milonga being cancelled as I wanted to squeeze every second of tango I could from the weekend. Warning - lovey bit coming up - Big thanks to the forum tangueros for adding that something special to the weekend for me.:hug:

I have learnt a lot and I can see how far I have to go, but I know I want to continue on this journey.

Spent less time in the blues room this time, a change for me. Only caught up with some people on Sun night for a dance and there were some I missed completely :( Didn't ask as many as I should have, but asked a lot more than I have in the past so progress there.

Why do all the dancers you want to dance regularly with live in Dundee or Devon or Australia? - except for the ones who live in London of course, or dance regularly in London (keep digging Clive).:tears: :tears:

killingtime
5th-June-2006, 05:07 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

Glad you all had a good time and wish I could have been there :flower:

Lucy Locket: I can't believe that happened :eek:. Shame you couldn't have bitten at that stage.

WittyBird
5th-June-2006, 05:57 PM
Only one forumtie to my knowledge:wink: :whistle:

:rofl: yes they did disappear quite quickly :D

And if you dance until 10am and then feel strangely out of sorts the following day, there might be a small correlation there somewhere... :rolleyes:

Something to say? :rofl: And I was actually pacing myself :innocent:

Don't some peole have all the luck?

Absolutely but surely you wouldn't expect anything less from me:eek:

Little Monkey
5th-June-2006, 06:32 PM
Hrrrnggh?

I'm not sure if I'm still alive.....:what:

What a fab weekend! I had so many good dances that I don't know where to start! Best 'find' of the weekend was Raphael. All I can say is::drool: Thanks for all the amazing dances! Just such a pity you can't lead..... :whistle: :rofl:

And the best re-discovery was Captain Fantastic; he definitely lived up to his name! All our dances were, well, fantastic!:D I hope I'll get another (dozen or so) dances with you soon!

Oh, and then there was the rather unforgettable dance with Mr UP...... I've heard of horizontal tango, but horizontal jive....?? :rofl:

Music was mostly great, I even danced for a little while in the Main room (:eek: )! I really enjoyed dancing in the latin Quarter, too, when it was slightly less crowded, and before it got too over heated. Dancing right in front of the huge fans is the answer! I was happy to see that they had sanded and varnished the floor in the Blues room, so much nicer to dance on than last year.

Unfortunately I found it too crowded (and hot in Latin and Main rooms) on Saturday, so didn't enjoy the dancing that much until the crowd thinned out after 4am. I also wish more people could learn some floorcraft.....:(

The only downside about the weekend was that I didn't get to do any of the tango classes, as my back couldn't cope any more after I'd done the WCS, so I had to go to bed with my tens machine and painkillers for a few hours.:( Also missed the milongas for the same reason, but at least got one tango with David James on Sunday (although it was so crowded that we couldn't really do all that much!). Hopefully I'll get the chance to dance more tango with you sometime, DJ!

I really enjoyed the fancy dress theme on Saturday night, and thought there were some absolutely amazing costumes! I also very much enjoyed dressing up in my 20's gear, and the fact that lots of people couldn't recognise me in it!! :D :rofl:

Oh, and a huge thanks to Trampy and Yliander for the lift!

And now I've got a hot date with my bed!

LM

Simon
5th-June-2006, 08:52 PM
I don’t know the name of the DJ in the blues room about 2-3am on Sunday morning (but Trampy took over from him) but I suddenly found that the music seemed to have gone all Disco. I heard "Rotterdam" by the Beautiful South and "Female of the Species" by Space AND I LOVED IT! :cheers: (Great tracks to dance to and MsFab decided not to fight me up and down the slot so much this weekend :wink: so really enjoyed them. :worthy: ). Also heard Marc Forster doing a bit of scratching on the decks, which was good fun. And thanks to the DJs who introduced me to "After Dark" by Tito and Tarantula and "Why Can't We Live Together" by Timmy Thomas. :clap: The mix of tracks and vibe in the Blues Room was the reason I didn't stray into the Latin Quarter and only a handful of times into the Main Ballroom (except for a long walk to buy a drink as there were constantly so few bar staff in the Terrace bar :mad: ).

Trousers
5th-June-2006, 09:37 PM
I had a very mellow very 'just what the doctor ordered' weekend.

No hassles no stress 'twas lovely

But ain't the toilets (for want of a better word) SH1TE!

If the power to fill/partly fill a holiday camp like Southport is worth anything maybe John can spend some time beating Pontins up to get the facilities repaired.

Oh and maybe some more and better qualified/mannered barstaff next time instead would be good. There wasn't one of them I'd employ to man any bar I had owt to do with.

but I am mellow honest!

Yogi_Bear
5th-June-2006, 09:55 PM
Southport aftermath.

..............in the blues room to slow blues music. The two dances I had with her were some dances like I have never had the pleasure of before. For the very first time I had a woman give herself to me totally and become as if she was part of my own self. It was like lounging in a warm swimming pool and languidly feeling the water to flow as you move your body. Unforgettable.......

I couldn't describe that feeling any better, and I had a few dances in the blues room that approached that level of connection. That's just one reason why the blues room at Southport seems to get better and better each time, and why I didn't go off site this weekend for the first time.

Yogi_Bear
5th-June-2006, 10:01 PM
....and yes, I ordered my first ever modern jive weeknd dvd/video on the evidence of the classes I went to, the cabaret, and the price. Only really went to west coast swing and Nigel and Nina, but loved it all to bits.

Hardly went into the main venue this weekend. Sound quality was dreadful at one point last night, too many high energy yanking twitching bodies for me, backed up by almost non-stop techno.....and a few kicks on the ankles didn't help. But it's horses for courses. A quick escape to the blues room was soon called for.

Free water - excellent. No chalet problems. Weather provided to order. Superb cabaret sessions that didn't go on for ever, and above all some great dances and some great dancers to watch....and great bluesly tango-ish music.

Minnie M
5th-June-2006, 10:38 PM
Wow and Wow again ..... this had to be the best modern jive weekend I have every been to...

I was worried about looking forward to going, that it might be a bad omen - needn't have worried - it was the perfect dance weekend ...

my chalet was great (want the same again in September please J & W) - my chalet mate and forumite neighbours were the best !!

Robert Cordoba & Deborah (my good friends and WCS gods) Anton & Erin Ballroom Gods, UK's finest MJ teachers Nigel & Nina, Viktor and Simon Selmon (Lindy supremo).

AND Perfect Weather (although I did have rather a 'red' face from sun burn :really: )

And wasn't it fantastic seeing John & Wes enjoying themself and mixing with the crowd :respect: Thanks for the fab dances boys :cheers: :clap:

BTW Wes was really on form Sunday evening :worthy:

I even enjoyed the travelling, what with the picnic on the way up and I broke the journey on the way back by visiting my son and grandsons :D

I score this weekend 11 out of 10 :clap:

Sorry, I forgot to mention the very very very yummy chocolait waffles at with Franck & Sheena :drool: :drool: :drool: (sorry about the taccos and pizza :sad: )

Sheppy
5th-June-2006, 10:47 PM
Bad bits:
Blues room: OK, the floor was better than last year, but it was too small, too cliquey - I didn't like it (gotta have some controversy somewhere, it's a tradition).

But wasn't it great having somewhere you could go during the night, safe in the knowledge you'd never get asked to dance...

Minnie M
5th-June-2006, 11:00 PM
But wasn't it great having somewhere you could go during the night, safe in the knowledge you'd never get asked to dance...
:really:
another reason why I like the 'swing/blues' is that they are are usually even numbers and it makes sure us girls will always find a man to dance with AND we can ask all the spare men around :yeah: AND they are not all advanced dancers, IMO they are in there because the music is so great :clap:

:worthy: :respect: :yeah: to the S & B DJs they did us proud - Dance Demon (you NEVER let me down) and Mark Forster :worthy: where do you find those great choons :respect: Sheepy - great as usual, and Trampy (especially for his stamina for keeping the choons going until 8am !!!)

I loved DD's chill-out afternoon session on Sunday - it made such easy listening I was happy just to chat and not dance :really: and let the mello sounds filter into the background ..............ahhhhh..... :drool:

Thank you guys :hug:

Lynn
5th-June-2006, 11:02 PM
But wasn't it great having somewhere you could go during the night, safe in the knowledge you'd never get asked to dance...For me that room was the Latin Quarter. :( I don't know why but I rarely seem to get asked to dance in there, which was why, despite enjoying the music, I spent less time in there than I would have liked. It was darker so harder for me to 'suss out' guys that I could maybe ask (I always look for eye contact, a friendly look etc before asking) so I didn't do much asking and I wasn't asked much. In the blues room I could always find someone I knew to sit beside if I wasn't dancing.

Sheppy
5th-June-2006, 11:12 PM
Ok here's my ten penneth, others have already said how good the weekend was so I'll not bore you all by repeating.

Worthy of note
Rob Ambridges set on sunday night, suddenly the main room was packed, brilliant.

2 Bad bits for me

1) Music in the main room in the early hours of sunday morning. Totally uninspiring mixture of the slower stuff and latin, what was the point of that? I mean there was a latin room playing latin and a blues room playing blues so why duplicate?
Fortunately at 3am just as I was falling asleep Tiggerbabe arrived :worthy: and suddenly the dance floor was alive..
Didn't the same thing happen last june?
2) The excessive heat and stale air. Why can't the fans be positioned so they blow in cold fresh air rather than recirculate whats already there? Of course this would mean persuading the jobsworth pontins security staff to stop closing the doors, at one point they had 3 of them hanging around trying to look menacing... :D

Minnie M
5th-June-2006, 11:26 PM
]........Fortunately at 3am just as I was falling asleep Tiggerbabe arrived :worthy: and suddenly the dance floor was alive..
Didn't the same thing happen last june?
Oh,...... my...... goodness, how did I forget ......... a stonking set from our Queen and it certainly got the crowd going:respect: :worthy: :clap:

stewart38
5th-June-2006, 11:32 PM
so how was it guys???...:D
Want details of everything plz??(music, dance, atmosphere, BBQ) plz post photos asap please

was the weather good up there??

The BBQ was a quite affair and Silver Fox seem to get everywhere ? More to follow

'Unforunatley ive got loads of photos to post' :whistle:

stewart38
5th-June-2006, 11:46 PM
Silver fox shares a special moment with ZW .

Then shares further and further 'special moments' and ZW dont look too happy in sharing :sad:

Yliander
5th-June-2006, 11:49 PM
, and Trampy (especially for his stamina for keeping the choons going until 8am !!!) think you will find that it was 9am :wink:

stewart38
5th-June-2006, 11:58 PM
Hrrrnggh?

I really enjoyed the fancy dress theme on Saturday night, and thought there were some absolutely amazing costumes! I also very much enjoyed dressing up in my 20's gear, and the fact that lots of people couldn't recognise me in it!! :D :rofl:

LM

yes it was great to see

Lory
6th-June-2006, 07:17 AM
Everyone standing behind CaptainFantastic, suddenly prayed that he hadn't been eating curried beans :whistle: :rofl:

Minnie M
6th-June-2006, 08:04 AM
Wasn't the Captain AMAZING .................. :worthy: :respect: and his beautiful assistant of course :flower: followed by a quick demonstraton of fire juggling by the great Nelson Rose :respect:

There was so much smoke around (what with the Barbie, the Captains balls etc.,) I forgot I put the sausage rolls in the oven, so when ZW said isn't something burning ........:confused: ............. I didn't realise there was smoke coming from the chalet oven :really: :blush: sorry folks !

Thank you EVERYONE for bringing such great food to the Barbie, and such variety, and to Sparkles for her yummy yummy home made cakes - and of course to all those helpers making sure the food didn't get too burnt - it was a brilliant, lots turned up (as you will see by photos) - only thing missing was Silver Fox's cocktails, he spent the whole afternoon on his back :rolleyes: :whistle:

animaltalk
6th-June-2006, 08:51 AM
Fabulous, best so far:clap: :clap:

Highlights - Old favourite scottish ladies, who I've missed dancing with - and was not disappointed - and mmm lovely.
"Micro Blues" - Sun 8am,
playing with ladies's balance points,
Tango and more tango, :love:
very complimentary ladies - Thank you,
BBQ:yum: ,
Tiggerbabe, Mark F, Trampy,
Faces to names,
Frank's feet,:clap:
Being able to sit and watch, and absorb superb style and control and musicality - being challenged by it - and then having ladies willing to experiment and play
Oooh - Just remembered being sabotaged (beautifully), or was she hijacking / playing - Very surprised, more please

I just don't understand - 2 full days and 3 nights of dancing and there still was not enough time, still ladies I didn't get to dance with enough and those I totally missed out on.:mad:

Thank you to all the fabulous ladies,

Downside: Returning to Devon

NTV

The Passion Harem
6th-June-2006, 09:16 AM
:hug: for all the wonderful dances.

:flower: to Liz and Jivecat for being my fixed partners for the two AT classes.

:waycool: dances with Wittybird.

A special mention for the button pressing dances on Friday morning (7am), nothing all weekend came close, except the one we had on Sunday afternoon :awe:

:respect: Tiggerbabe :waycool: sets in the Latin, Ballroom and Bluesroom - you are THE best. Fabby dances too.

:worthy: DanceDemon and Trampy.

:cheers: Crossa for the testosterone boost on the way down and the chat all weekend.

:love: tattie for cooking basic dancer food and helping me dance it off.

:na: Doune for being Doune.

Special thank you Jon & Wes.

It was a good weekend - thank you all :D

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 09:17 AM
Nahh... As Lynn said, the Latin quarter was the best for that - right in the far corner, is best for that. Loads of chairs, very dark, lots of space to rest and chill.

I didn't even dare go into the main room, far too scary, although the excellent gender balancing did help in that regard, unlike some venues **cough* Camber *cough*) where there are rows of predatory women lining the edges of the dance floor... :eek:

1) Music in the main room in the early hours of sunday morning. Totally uninspiring mixture of the slower stuff and latin, what was the point of that? I mean there was a latin room playing latin and a blues room playing blues so why duplicate?
Spookily enough, I felt that way about the Latin room at almost exactly the same time - they were playing the same time of music as the Main Room :rofl: :rolleyes: - several times I went out of the latin room and heard a track in the main room which I'd just heard in the Latin Room.

So I'm not sure the Latin Room was always playing Latin ("Won't you join me for a drink" - is that Latin??) and I'm also pretty sure the Blues room wasn't always playing Blues...

2) The excessive heat and stale air. Why can't the fans be positioned so they blow in cold fresh air rather than recirculate whats already there? Of course this would mean persuading the jobsworth pontins security staff to stop closing the doors, at one point they had 3 of them hanging around trying to look menacing... :D
Actually, I thought this was better than last September - the Latin Room then was a total sauna. :rolleyes:

foxylady
6th-June-2006, 09:41 AM
I keep trying to formulate words to describe my weekend, and to honest, for once, I am just lost for them......

This about sums it up : WOW !!!

oh and :worthy: :worthy: :awe: :worthy: :worthy: Jammy :worthy: :worthy: :awe: :worthy: :worthy:

("Won't you join me for a drink" - is that Latin??)

Well its a cha cha, so latin by a certain definition surely.....

fletch
6th-June-2006, 09:45 AM
The best ever

good bits

It was nice to see that so many people had made an effort on Saturday night to dress up.

Rob Ambridge set on Sunday was brilliant I listen to it all, thank you for the Mowtown I had about 12 people and the small dance floor all dancing around there handbags.

Free soda water, served without waiting as I had made friends with one off the bar staff several Southport's ago, thank you Emma.

Congratulations to Pop's on winning the fancy dress on Saturday, if you are looking for a chalet mate in September i'm avalible

Dancing with John on Sunday

The free breakfast for the 18 off us that made it to 9am :clap: and Wes why did you put the music back on at 9.30 I didn't need another hours dancing, but couldn't resist:sick:

Saturday and Sunday's afternoon dancing was just wonderful with the sun shining

I think dancing in the blues room when the sun is coming up is so special that's something no other weekender can compete with:respect:

The b-b-q was fab thank you linda for all your effort.

Thank you Sheena and Franck for the chocolates and chat

There was a lot o my local guy's there and I did try hard not to refuse any off them, I didn't want to appear clique or a hot shot.

I feel my dancing has defiantly moved up a peg

My new discovery was a certain Scot's man in a kilt who was very cheeky in more ways than one.:wink:

Bad bits

It was over to soon.:tears:

the chalet not been ready when we got there:sad:

Missing the turning in the services on the way, and driving about 25 miles for a 6 mile journey:blush:

Over all

This was the best weekender ever, ever, ever
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you John and Wes :worthy:

El Salsero Gringo
6th-June-2006, 10:02 AM
:hug: for all the wonderful dances.

:flower: to Liz and Jivecat for being my fixed partners for the two AT classes.

A special mention for the button pressing dances on Friday morning (7am), nothing all weekend came close, except the one we had on Sunday afternoon :awe:

:respect: Tiggerbabe :waycool: sets in the Latin, Ballroom and Bluesroom - you are THE best. Fabby dances too.

:worthy: DanceDemon and Trampy.

:cheers: Crossa for the testosterone boost on the way down and the chat all weekend.

:love: tattie for cooking basic dancer food and helping me dance it off.

:na: Doune for being Doune.

Special thank you Jon & Wes.

It was a good weekend - thank you all :DTry reading this post with smileys turned off...

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 10:10 AM

:blush: I hear London is a lovely place to move to :D

Highlights for me :D

Faces to Names
Catching up with the peeps you don't see as often as you would like to :awe:
Sunshine
New Discoveries (you know who you all are)

Low Points

Body giving up and going to bed at 2am Monday morning
Getting stooopidly emotional cos I couldn't dance as much as I wanted to
Sitting with 17 people eating a full english and me with a yellow Yoghurt :rofl:
Pontins staff requirements for employment being able to tie own shoelaces but probably having to ask if it's ok to do so :nonexistantw4nkericon:

Thank you to everyone who made my weekend so special :flower:

Dizzy
6th-June-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, what a fab weekend!!! :clap: :clap: :awe:

Still suffering from sleep deprivation but I think it was worth it!! :D

When we arrived on friday night, everyone was so eager to get going and the atmosphere was electric. I had the best dances in the main room (even though it was hot!), saturday night was a late starter due to the cabarets but once it did start, I had great dances in every room. The music over the weekend was perfect - Tiggerbabe, Marc, TWK, Dance Demon, Trampy, Sheepman all played music I never even contemplated dancing to but it worked sooo well :clap:

Highlights
Cabaret: Robert & Deborah :drool: :respect: :worthy:
WCS Workshop: I actually came away feeling that I had actually learnt a lot from the class
Marc & Rachel Workshop: lovely routine :flower: :drool:
Blues Room: even when I felt too tired to dance, just sitting listening to the music and watching everyone dance was perfect.
BBQ: so nice to meet up with forumites in an informal non-dancing environment. Rebecca & Dan's Display :respect: :worthy: Also thanks to Minnie for her homemade potato salad and Fletch for the Burgers :flower:
Getting new shoes from Lucy :love:

Lowlights
Not getting into my mental zone on sunday night due to tiredness therefore missed out on really enjoying the atmosphere. I still enjoyed all my dancing though and being able to just sit in the Blues Room listening to the music and watch people dance was enough compensation.
The Latin Room just being too hot - The music was fab as was the dancers but you could hardly breathe in there.

Memorable Points
WCS dance with KevF - Thank you :drool: :hug:
Franck & Sheena's Waffle Parties: What more can I say? :respect: :love:

Danielle
6th-June-2006, 11:53 AM
photos are now up!!!

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/southportjune2006

Enjoy!!! :flower:

Lory
6th-June-2006, 12:02 PM
What a fantastic weekend!

My personal highlights were..

The gentle start to the weekend in the dance den, with some superb ballroom and tango dances;)

Having lot's of different music and partners to be able to practice all the different dance styles i've been learning over the past few months.

Meeting up with friends, old and new.

Lazing in the sand dunes.

The superb cabaret!

An absolutely fabulous meal off site, with our forum royalty.:hug:

The weather:waycool:

Having a giggle at the forum Bar-B-Q:rofl:

Silverfox being able to make it in the end :whistle:

Hats off to all the Dj's, I always managed to find some music I liked, in either the Blues room or Latin quarter. :worthy:

Robert Cordoba's little gem of a comment to me... after a few dances with him over the weekend, I said, i'm still making mistakes :rolleyes: but I am gaining confidence and my fudging's getting much better! :D Then he patted me on the back and said.. No no, only beginners make mistakes.. us advanced dancers syncopate! :wink: Woo hoooooo!:cheers: :waycool: :respect:

An amazing Tango with Kev to Roxanne :drool: (I have to apologise though.. apparently I had a very scary face on! I was just 'into the dance'!)

Downsides.. nothing terrible....

....the same old....not having enough time to dance with everyone.:tears:

Peak time crowding in the blues room.

and not enough bar staff

General comments

I thought the standard of dancing was the best i've ever experienced, there were so many inspirational dancers, with the ability to adapt to the different styles of music, that I was in dance heaven.:clap:

This weekend, I managed to put into practice what i've learnt from my past weekender mistakes..... pacing myself, eating healthily, giving in to the call of comfy shoes early and making the decision to quit each morning whilst still on a high, made the world of difference the enjoyment of my weekend.

The gender balancing worked superbly well for me, I don't recall struggling for a dance once:clap:

The apartment was very clean this time.

Congratulations to Wes and John for putting together yet another truly awesome weekend! :worthy: :cheers:

I'd like to see the video Wes was making, some of it looked like it was going to make for hilarious viewing!

Wes
6th-June-2006, 12:16 PM
I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but no-one & i mean no-one has the right to do this sort of thing anywhere. I was so shocked & stunned & embarrassed i didn't say anything, (yes it tarnished the weekend for me), now i'm upset & angry both for what happened & with myself for not reporting it at the time.

Yes i'll report it now (better late than never) but would anything have been done at the time.

Hi Lucy Lockett,
John and I regard this type of incident very seriously, and if you know or find out who this individual was then please let us know ASAP and we will consider what actions we can take.... certainly this guy, at the least, is not fit to be at Southport again, in the worst case to actually press for an assualt charge against him!
But please, everyone, report any such incidents to us STRAIGHT AWAY!

Top Bird
6th-June-2006, 12:18 PM
My first Southport, but definitely not my last. :cheers: :cheers:

What an amazing weekend:clap: :clap: , such great ambiance in the blues room, watching the sun go down and then rise again, fantastic weather, great dancers - and you northern folk are just so friendly.

Can't believe that 18 of us danced thru till 9am on Sunday morning. SO WHERE WERE THE REST OF YOU FORUMITES??? Thanks Wes, not only for the full English breakfast after dancing the night away, but also for putting on an all round great weekend :respect: :respect: , but did you really have to put on more music at 9.45am and encourage back onto the dance floor when my body was already screaming "no more, please no more" :tears:

Fantastic music, well done Marc, always a joy to dance to (and dance with), Sheepy and Tramp :respect: thanks to you for some great dances and have a wonderful time in Oz and NZ.

It started off so well, beautiful hot sunshine, the picnic by the lake, putting faces to forum names, and ended on a real high.

So, I am hooked on Southport, the best weekender I have been on, by miles:clap: :clap: :clap:

DianaS
6th-June-2006, 12:29 PM
Southport
Brilliant weather
the sun rose and sank, marking time with ocean and tides
Natural rhythms of time motion and music
The sharp scent of sea in the blues room
The touch of the sun on my back I sit sipping a drink

The apartment
Clean quiet and calm
I sleep alone
Gina in an apartment beside me sharing breakfasts and late suppers

The Classes
Classes done one to one
Ballroom and latin lovely to know the routines and just have fun
An absolute must because you couldn't see the steps on the screen and the sound was poor at times

The freestyles
in the blues room, lots of air chilled music and pleasant dancers
daylight breaking is magical, to dance as it breaks is heaven!

The food
as ever didn't do it but if someone was to offer cake coffee and green and black ice cream around 12 I'd SO be there!!

The people
Too many to name and too many to thank...
Just bliss

The ending
Driving away, I'm still smiling today

Donna
6th-June-2006, 12:47 PM
photos are now up!!!

Hi Danielle

Love the pics... makes me even more upset that I missed out!!!!1 :tears: Oh well.. next time.

I especially love the pics of Nigel & Nina. Very nice.

johnah
6th-June-2006, 01:44 PM
Bad bits:
[LIST]
The lack of a Milonga in the Dance Den on Sunday night, for some feeble reason like the main room mixer was fcuked, and so they used the Dance Den mixer instead in the main room. The obvious solution (putting the milonga on in the Main Room) was for some reason not followed. :confused:

Unfortunately, modern technology as good as it is in some respects, is suspect at times. We have back up equipment at all our events but we were unlucky to have two mixer failures. The technophobes will know this is a rare occurance. We cured one on Saturday, even went out and bought a brand spanking new back-up on Saturday too. But that failed us too come around 8:30pm on Sunday. Importantly, you can't just go out and get replacements at that time on a Sunday. So, we improvised as best we could in extremely difficult circumstances and apologise for the disruption to the Milonga session.

:cheers:

johnah
6th-June-2006, 01:46 PM
Eeek!

That is simply untrue!!!!!

PeteK
6th-June-2006, 02:07 PM
Had a truly fantastic time......

Highlights for me personally - Viktor's workshop, WCS, plus the freestyle evenings/nights/early mornings in the Bluesville and Latin room.

Thanks to Wes and John for organising, and to everyone for truly memorable dancing and fun.

Anyone going in Sept? We're planning to....

Pete

DianaS
6th-June-2006, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately, modern technology as good as it is in some respects, is suspect at times. We have back up equipment at all our events but we were unlucky to have two mixer failures. The technophobes will know this is a rare occurance. We cured one on Saturday, even went out and bought a brand spanking new back-up on Saturday too. But that failed us too come around 8:30pm on Sunday. Importantly, you can't just go out and get replacements at that time on a Sunday. So, we improvised as best we could in extremely difficult circumstances and apologise for the disruption to the Milonga session.

:cheers:
It was disappointing, and since you mention it the technical set up seemed the weakest part. Some of the air conditioners weren't plugged in so were sitting idle all weekend. Those that were circulated air within the room rather then being positioned by a externally facing door to draw in oxygenated fresh air from the outside. Occasionally just moving a fan a metre backwords did the business, but when we enquired for double socket extention to plug in the fans that weren't turned on (there was a lack of sockets) these weren't forthcoming.

It is just tiny detail but would take just half an hour to check and resolve at the outset. And WOW was it hot and steamy at times!!

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 02:17 PM
we improvised as best we could in extremely difficult circumstances and apologise for the disruption to the Milonga session.

Still think you should force everyone else to dance Tango - it'd be good for them, they'd thank you for it in the end :innocent:

I was very happy to see the amount of AT on offer - and very very happy with the teachers, they were superb. I'd have liked a midday Milonga, for an hour or two sometime in the afternoon, but there was a lot of Tango music going on anyway. It was certainly possible to spend many hours on nothing but Tango - I definitely did more Tango than MJ.

In fact, what with WCS, Blues, Latin and Tango, I'm not even sure it's a Modern Jive weekender any more - it's a partner dance weekender, with the largest dance category currently being MJ. Which, to be clear, is a Good Thing IMO.

That is simply untrue!!!!!
Yeah, it seems unlikely.. More likely that there's more discussion on this forum of Southport than all other weekenders (put together it seems), so any reported incidents are probably more widely reported than at other venues.

I also think that John and Wes seem to be more diligent about resolving and responding to any complaints than others, as shown in this thread, so :respect: to them for that.

Dance Demon
6th-June-2006, 02:32 PM
Have been to every Southport to date, and have to say that this was the best yet. Everything right down to the weather was spot on. it was really nice to catch up with people you dont see regularly. Had a good chat with guys like Colin Shaul, Rob Ambridge, Roger Chin, and of course my old mate peter Phillips.
I didn't dance as much this time around, as my back was still a bit sore, and I didn't sleep too well when I got the chance to go to bed. Some of the highlights of my weekend;..DJing for Anton & Erin's Rhumba class,..Anton had everyone in fits of laughter with his tales about dancing with Esther Rantzen in Strictly Come Dancing. Playing my set in the blues room on saturday night, which was a bit of an experiment that seemed to work, especially watching Sherif and his partner and the couple dancing next to them really getting down to the Candy Dulfer track:waycool: The late sets on Friday and Sunday nights, which are always nice to DJ. Got some lovely dances from Mrs Under Par, Cruella, my pal Minnie Mouse:hug: :hug: :kiss: Fletch, Witty Bird, to name but a few. The chill set on Sunday afternoon. In fact Sunday afternoon was a real treat for the dancers, as there was always a DJ playing in there. Peter Phillips kicked it all off, followed by me, then Rob Ambridge, then Tiggerbabe, then Toby & Marc. I have to say i thought that the standard of music played by all the DJs at the weekend was awesome, and all credit to John & Wes for putting such a strong line up together. Thanks to lots of people for contributing to my weekend...
Peter Phillips, for being a top bloke, Tony Murphy from Chance 2 dance, another top bloke, Colin Shaul, Rob Ambridge, Roger Chin, The Glasgow crew in the chalets below ours for their good old weegie hospitality and patter, Franck & Sheena for superb waffles:drool: Minnie Mouse for being a great pal:hug: :hug: Finally a massive thanks to John & Wes:respect: :respect: :respect: for putting together a superb weekend, with a top teaching line up, and top DJ line up. Thanks once again for inviting me to be part of a landmark weekend:cheers:

fletch
6th-June-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Lucy Lockett,
John and I regard this type of incident very seriously, and if you know or find out who this individual was then please let us know ASAP and we will consider what actions we can take.... certainly this guy, at the least, is not fit to be at Southport again, in the worst case to actually press for an assualt charge against him!
But please, everyone, report any such incidents to us STRAIGHT AWAY!

Let me start by saying i'm not defending this individual...............but, I think it is hard at times for individuals (male or female) to get it right all the time.

Every one was on a high before during and hopefully still now (I am)

And I think when you get excited its easy to get carried away and do things which with hindsight you regret, I was messing about and tried to trip Russell Saxby up I didn't thank goodness but I could have, and hurt him, I apologised but it was just high sprits, and he was ok about it (I think):flower:

But, this man might have just got carried away and didn't mean to up set Lucy Lockett, if he is told he i'm sure he would apologise (and mean it) let not get carried away and expect him to hung drawn and quartered.:(

It must be hard for men to get it right, if they dance with me I encourage a bit of 'frotting' but some girls don't like any at all.

:hug:

JonD
6th-June-2006, 03:19 PM
I'll echo the plaudits for John and Wes - an excellent weekend all round. It was only my second Southport but I'll be back in the future (but, sadly, not in September).

It was great to meet so many more forumites, to dance with some of them and just enjoy the wonderful relaxed atmosphere. The Cabaret was excellent - Anton & Erin and Robert and Deborah were stunning and I thought the folk who did the Charleston routine were just amazing.

I thought Viktor's classes were superb. You should all be very afraid as he's inspired me to try and start using my body more expressively in MJ (Julie told me that I need a "pop and ripple lesson" from Viktor but I fear that is a lost cause)! It's going to be ugly but fun. Nelson's "toolbox" class seemed to go down quite well as did Ivan's beginner AT class.

The group private AT lesson we had with Ivan on Sunday was excellent - lots to think about and work on. I was conscious of people gathering to dance at lunchtime and I'm sorry if we delayed you all. We were having fun though.

Low points: Going back to the chalet after the cabaret, setting my phone alarm for 2am but waking up at 7 with the phone under my chest where I'd obvously attempted to smother it in my sleep. I missed all that wonderful freestyle. The traffic on our drive up on Friday - it took 8 hours instead of 5.

High points: Dancing AT with Lynn and CeeCee. Some stunning dances in the Latin Room. Dancing with Julie for hours. Seeing Ann, my Business Partner, having such a good time at her first MJ weekender. But the best bit of all was overhearing Ivan questioning CeeCee about how long she'd been dancing AT, who taught her and where she danced; she's so good Ivan couldn't believe she's only been dancing AT for 6 months.

Minnie M
6th-June-2006, 03:33 PM
I think we should all rep Johnah & Wes for a fab weekend :respect: :clap: :worthy:

Sheepman
6th-June-2006, 03:48 PM
Highlights
Those awesome dances with people where I can start to believe there is the "perfect dance." (Thank you to those amazing dancers that always make me look & feel far better than I am!)

My own, and others reaction to LMs artwork on the "Meltdown" t-shirts, which I'd not seen before arriving. :clap:

Playing music from midday to midnight in the blues room on Saturday! (OK, I wasn't there all the time, with a class to do, waffles to eat, after class DJing, SDF final to watch, sleeping, but whenever I went back to switch off/see if another DJ had taken over, people were still dancing, so what else could I do? :whistle: )

Every time someone comes up and asks "what was that track?" (This even happened after I played "Fire" and I thought everyone must know about that one.)

Hearing & being challenged by so much good music that I've never danced to before.

Watching a couple do some great Tango on Friday night in the Latin room.

Mentioning I was starving while passing by UPs apartment, 3 minutes later I was handed a plate stacked with food! :cheers: :respect:

Waffles! Cakes! :drool:
(I wonder if I could get a freezer in the car next time, and stock up on ice cream?)

Sunday evening's sunset on the beach.

The small & select (?) M6 picnic around the lake. :wink:

Lowlights
Arriving at the M6 picnic just as everyone was leaving.

Fast swing tracks with no space.

Getting dances with fantastic partners, and not being able to move due to no space (actually that's not always so bad. :whistle: )

A few people's total lack of floorcraft

My feet after Saturday night. :sick:

So, so many people that I didn't get a single dance with.

Having to sleep.

Greg

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 03:48 PM
Let me start by saying i'm not defending this individual...............but, I think it is hard at times for individuals (male or female) to get it right all the time.

I don't think so. The person is well known for doing this :mad:

*gags self in disgust*

Sheepman
6th-June-2006, 03:52 PM
High points: Dancing AT with Lynn and CeeCee. Some stunning dances in the Latin Room. So was that you dancing AT in the latin roomabout 10:30 on the Friday? :respect:

Greg

David Bailey
6th-June-2006, 03:58 PM
So was that you dancing AT in the latin roomabout 10:30 on the Friday? :respect:

Greg
That was JonD and Julie, yes :respect:

It was well worth watching, too :)

pawplay
6th-June-2006, 04:05 PM
WOW what a weekend, so many fab dances and new friends even managed a dance with under par! My feet hurt so much more than last year but i love it as it reminds me of such a great birthday weekend. I couldn't have asked for more! Role on sepember...i can't wait!:D :D :D :D Wes (thanks for the dance it was an honour) and John out did themselves!
The only downside was being oggled by silver fox at 5am especially, as i didn't get a dance all weekend with him!

Sheepman
6th-June-2006, 04:15 PM
Sunday evening's sunset on the beach.
My third Southport, and the first time I've made it to the beach...

fletch
6th-June-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't think so. The person is well known for doing this :mad:

*gags self in disgust*

I take it I know him?

It hasn't happend to me so dose he only do it to people he thinks won't knee him in the crouch:mad:

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 04:17 PM
It hasn't happend to me so dose he only do it to people he thinks won't knee him in the crouch:mad:

*still gagged*

fletch
6th-June-2006, 04:21 PM
*still gagged*
PM me!

I NEED to know:devil:

jiveaddicted
6th-June-2006, 04:25 PM
big thanks to wes and john for the breakfast!!!!! was an amazing weekend rool on september. cant belive how long the final 18 lasted but im chuffed to bits to have been a part of it

happy dancing

Michael

Donna
6th-June-2006, 04:26 PM

WOW Greg, these pics are breath taking!!!! :eek: Seriously, I'd get them blown up, framed and stick them on your wall.

Cruella
6th-June-2006, 04:44 PM
cant belive how long the final 18 lasted
Jammy and i fought it out to be the last one up, i made it until 11.45am. I believe Jammy was not far behind me.:whistle:

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 04:46 PM
Jammy and i fought it out to be the last one up, i made it until 11.45am. I believe Jammy was not far behind me.:whistle:

10.30am was my limit, then went and had 2 hours of sleep before being woken up :eek: Thanks sweetie :rofl:

fletch
6th-June-2006, 04:47 PM
big thanks to wes and john for the breakfast!!!!! was an amazing weekend rool on september. cant belive how long the final 18 lasted but im chuffed to bits to have been a part of it

happy dancing

Michael

You have logged on

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Happy posting :flower:

What a fab time:cheers:

Rhythm King
6th-June-2006, 04:57 PM
There's a beach? :eek:

Kev F
6th-June-2006, 05:08 PM
I won't repeat what is already clear on a fantastic weekend, but for me......

BEST DANCE OF THE WEEKEND : Silverfox and I up close and personal...you could almost feel the electricity between us, or was it just static. Followed a close second by all the forum ladies. :hug:

MOST FLATTERING MOMENT : Les Snell assuming I was Stewart38. :worthy:

BEST NON-HOTSHOT: Robert Cordoba & Deborah....who just danced all night with everyone and appeared to love doing it.:respect:

BEST NON-DANCE MOMENTS : Franck & Sheenas hospitality was the best. :hug:

BIGGEST REWARD OF THE WEEKEND : The opportunity to practise WCS with Lory :drool: . Let's hope it lasts until wednesdays WCS lesson :eek:

BEST WEEKENDER TO DATE : Southport :worthy: A huge thanks to John & Wes.

RoyBoy
6th-June-2006, 05:14 PM
What a FANTASTIC weekend.

Coming down from this one is going to take some time.

There are toooooo many highlights and not enough bandwidth to list them all. So those that really stand out:-

a. The dancing - fabulous - I thought the general level of dancing this time around was better than previous weekends. However this is probably an illusion as I think (b) has a great deal to do with ones perception of the......... oops just a minute I think me crispy bacon is being cremated.......... quality of the dancing.

b. The music - I don’t have the vocabulary to do it justice, so just insert your own superlatives here………………………………..

c. WCS – the performance by Robert and Deborah was breathtaking. Not only do they ‘walk the walk’ but they also ‘talk the talk’. Their classes were excellent. Big thanks to Yvonne for allowing me to monopolies her during the classes.

d. The Blues Room. What a unique setting. Provides the perfect ambience to dance, eat, drink, chill with friends etc. etc. I could quite happily live there – with a few forumites and a constant supply of Blues Room DJ’s

But the absolute pinnacle was my first complete track danced exclusively to WCS (4 minutes of sugar pushes, baskets, tuck turns and whips. A bit repetitive, but for me, it wasn’t about the variety of moves, it was about maintaining the timing and getting that elusive tension and compression just right. I was on such a high when the track finished I almost kissed my partner in the middle of the dance floor (but I managed to restrain myself so as not to embarrass Yvonne).
Also a big thanks to Limpy Tink for the encouraging words early Monday morning as I led her into the umpteenth tuck turn.

So many wonderful moments. This one will stay in my memory for a long time. Well, at least until September.

Oh almost forgot. That playful little dance with Minnie on Friday night.!!!!!!

Dance Demon
6th-June-2006, 05:16 PM
BEST NON-HOTSHOT: Robert Cordoba & Deborah....who just danced all night with everyone and appeared to love doing it.:respect:

:yeah: :respect: :respect: ...really sound down to earth people.

Lynn
6th-June-2006, 05:18 PM
That was JonD and Julie, yes :respect:

It was well worth watching, too :)This was a regret - I didn't get to see JonD and Julie dance. I did sit down (after several fabulous dances) at the milonga on Sat to watch but someone asked me up (which was lovely) - I thought I would have another opportunity but I didn't.:(

Msfab
6th-June-2006, 05:21 PM
Sadly, Southport is over!:sad:
The weekend started with the picnic stop on Friday in the Sun was a great idea and spilt the journey from the south perfectly after which made our way leisurely to Southport.

On arrival, collecting keys took all about 30 secs – great. Quickly settled in the chalet with a few glasses of wine with a great chalet mate, PaulF :cheers: . Friday night was a little disappointing for me :( – I couldn’t settle in either the Latin or Blues room although I did have some great dances, the rooms were a little busy. So I gave up the dancing around 2.30am – best save energy/body/feet for the rest of the weekend.

Saturday – Got up for the Tango class with Ivan & Natalia, I had a great partner (follower) in Yilander. I thought they were very good and clear teachers and came away having learnt lots:clap: . Next was the Quickstep with Anton & Erin. For me there was lots to learn (never done ballroom). I had a great partner in Paul :worthy: – thanks for being patient, as the name suggest a quick dance with little/no room for error. Anton & Erin were great to watch and learn from, when Anton stopped his comedy act!

Spent the rest of the day in the sun drinking wine with the company of Anthea, PaulF, Rebecca and Captain Fantastic. A little water fight with under par – I won of course:rofl: ! The cabarets on Saturday evening were WOW! Anton/Erin and Robert/Deborah were fabulous:drool:! I had a great nights dancing on Saturday, 95% of the time in bluesville didn’t get to bed until 6ish – everything hurt when not dancing but once on the floor it all seems to disappear:rolleyes: . I’m not going to mention everyone but I still didn’t manage to dance with everyone I wanted. Strolled into the main room for a little break where I had some fab dances on a very fast floor!

Sunday started with a calm rumba lesson by Anton & Erin – thank you Anthea for being a lovely partner, even though Nigel pinched you :mad: from me towards the end, but I did find MrsUP to continue with:clap: . I then managed to find my way for more Tango this time with Zebra woman and then for more with Puddy tat, thank you both for being such lovely partners to dance with and not hiding any of my many mistakes!:flower::hug: I spent the rest of the afternoon dancing in bluesville in the glorious sunshine, even managed to grab a dance with Mr Cordoba. I too was looking forward to the milonga on Sunday evening:(

Sunday evening started around midnight for me with fab dance after fab dance finally ending around 6ish with a string a dreamy dances :awe: – Thank you! The weekend ended with :drool: nachos and waffles over at Francks and Sheenas with UP, MrsUP, Aleks and Azande and a bottle sparkling!

The journey back wasn’t too bad we made plenty of stops. There was only a little traffic at the M6/M42 junction, but nothing that cant be alleviated with good if not half asleep company:rolleyes:

Big Thanks to the organisers:respect: And to all the lovely people I had for company!:respect: :flower:

stewart38
6th-June-2006, 05:38 PM
Highlights

Probably my best weekender which is saying something as I’ve been on a fair few

The classes I went to were fine including the Tango (although no rotation, but didn’t seem to be many women left over ?)

Maybe a few too many men especially in main ballroom after 2am ?

Weather of course helped

The 30 mins dance slots a great idea and the almost constant dancing in blues room was great

Low lights

Arriving to fine the chalet was filthy and disgusting, for the previous occupants to leave such a mess !! This was 5.30pm on Friday

Meeting a forumite for the first time who shall we say upset me by her words and action

Wondering why if you have a fancy dress competition and allow the audience ‘vote’ by clapping, you ‘fix’ it so last years winner doesn’t win again ? what’s the point of that ??

The people cabaret was by far the best ive seen and to learn that in a few hours

Simon
6th-June-2006, 06:26 PM
Wondering why if you have a fancy dress competition and allow the audience ‘vote’ by clapping, you ‘fix’ it so last years winner doesn’t win again ? what’s the point of that ??

CJ
6th-June-2006, 06:30 PM

It's the winning, not the taking part that counts.:sick:

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 06:32 PM

I spoke to UP and he said if he had won he would of handed the prize back because he didn't think it would be fair to win again

:respect: Under Par , but I still think you should've won

The people cabaret was by far the best ive seen and to learn that in a few hours

God knows what it was like previously then :rolleyes:

Lynn
6th-June-2006, 07:02 PM
A brilliant Southport - as usual, but it seems to get better every time. Well done John and Wes.:worthy:

Highlights

Tango - this was what I was looking forward to, and I wasn't disappointed.
Meeting more forumites - esp Tessalicious and JonD. :flower:
The 1/2 hour in between classes - with matching music. Not only great for practicing but made it easier all round for people to pace themselves, catch up with friends etc.
The weather - don't know how they do it, but once again perfect weather. Sitting out on the decking in the sun listening to great music and watching lovely dancing - perfect.
Pacing myself - I didn't do the 'stay up till 9am' thing and I don't regret it. I went to bed at 4am on Sat night as I wanted to be able to concentrate in the class the next morning. I have returned satisfied with the dancing I did, but not totally exhausted.
Lowlights

The milonga being cancelled on Sun night. Shortly after I looked into the Latin room and one couple were dancing. Why couldn't the milonga time have been in there? There were many more people turning up wanting to milonga in the Dance Den than dancing in the Latin room early on in the evening so we could have had 1/2 hour in there.
The blues room being so crowded. Can't be helped, too many people want to dance in there. I spent a lot less time in there this time.
Not doing any of the ballroom classes because I couldn't face the extra ladies rotation. I also think I would have learned a lot more if I had done the ballroom classes fixed but wasn't organised enough for that.
One member of our NI group (Mikrik) having a sore shoulder and not being able to dance.:( :hug:A fantastic weekend. :clap:

FirstMove
6th-June-2006, 07:53 PM
Heaven

All the lovely followers who wanted to play :) :drool:
Not messing-up in the Charleston routine too much
Two perfect train journeys, beating the nationalrail timetable's durations in both directions
Not hearing Tina Arena's "Now I can dance" at all:clap:
The lady who said she wanted to skip a dance to have a drink :what: , then did actually dance the next one with me, and then the next one :grin:

Purgatory

Many extra men in most of the classes I did :confused:
I was really looking forward to Anton and Erin's Quickstep class, but it was much too hard (probably more a comment about me than A&E :worthy: )

Hell

Having to wait to 1800 for my room to be ready, rather ruining the effect of arriving early :(
A very high rejection rate from dancers I didn't know in the Blues room :angry:

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 07:57 PM
A very high rejection rate from dancers I didn't know in the Blues room :angry:
[/LIST]

I'm so sorry about that. I can't believe that happened to you:mad:
Are you ok?

You never asked me tho :devil:

Tiger Pants
6th-June-2006, 08:08 PM
Sometimes its necessary to do something you don't normally do, so in an attempt to get back down to earth ( yeah even after a day at work) I'm gonna post........here goes......

WHAT A WEEKEND THAT WAS !!

My third Southport and by far the best so far. No pressure of a Cabaret performance this time even though the Superheroes routine is a wonderfully fun routine and everyone should have an opportunity to see it (:whistle: ), I'm glad I was able to concentrate on just having fun.

Shared a nice Club Chalet ( well worth the difference in price) with me gals Peaches, Baby Peaches and Petal - no flies on me, they mothered me to death and I was grateful for that - thank you all for helping to make it such a great time :kiss:
The workshops I took part in were great fun and so far I remember most of the new moves. In the past I have gone to too many workshops, forgotten all the moves and been too tired to enjoy the evening freestyle. Less is definately more for me from now on.
I spent most evenings/nights/mornings in the Blues Room with only an occassional dance in the Ballroom and Latin Quarters - don't think I had enough shirts to spent any more time in these areas. Glad to say I had some wonderful dances with some fabulous ladies (and Lucca - thought it was my birthday all over again !!) throughout the weekend. Also had an opportunity to meet a lot of lady forumites who were without exception very nice and kept me on my toes and feet all the time.

Too many highlights to list but I think the atmosphere of the Deck on Sunday afternoon is something that will be hard to beat for a very long time. Have also to mention the atmosphere at the alternative BBq at the Lusby's on Saturday - thanks to the freeflowing wine I found it difficult to walk never mind dance for a few hours ( forward note to Hazel and Fiona, remind me never to wear heels when drinking, promise I will do the same for you :wink: )
Thanks for the special dispensation that allowed me to take part in the Belly Dancing workshop - my best workout in years and don't you ladies know how to have a great time ( oh dear that can't be right me building up a sweat in a room full of only women puffing and panting wanting more -what the hell, our little secret - bet you're sorry you missed it eh Zebra Woman lol )

Well done John and Wes brilliant weekend cannae wait for next June.:respect:

Auntie Barb
6th-June-2006, 08:53 PM
A truely WONDERFUL weekend, thanks to you Scottish dancers (cerocers). The highlight for me was meeting Vince ( wot no pics yet! ) SO funny, the get togethers at Minnies and Francks, and the fire jugglers. :clap: Every time I come to dance in Scotland I always come away thinking what a great bunch of friendly people you are and I felt the same after this weekend. Thank you for making me welcome and including me in your social events.
Yes the dance floors were crowded, but that's to be expected when 1500 people attend the same event. Thought the cabaret was FAB and Anton and Erin's dancing was breathtakingly beautiful. My favourite class was the BELLY DANCING. Congratulations to those who managed to dance all night. I am very envious. You should get a certificate from Wes and John!
Can't wait for the next one in September. See you all again then if not before.

drathzel
6th-June-2006, 09:17 PM
I had a fantastic weekend

Good points

Francks Waffles!!!
Getting lots of dances (more than last year)
Catching up with friends
Meeting new people
Dances with the usual suspects (and a few new suspects)
Watching SDF final with forumites (especially Sheena's comments throughout the programme)
Meeting Yilander, especially after we talked a fair bit previous to her travel to UK!

Bad points

Not enough hours for dancing
Forgot my camera and i dont appear in any photos posted on the forum so i have no piccys for my dance folder
Missing out on dances with people who just seemed to disappear
Falling on my head (my fault, my legs just dont bend that way steve!:devil: )

Maxx
6th-June-2006, 09:53 PM
What can I say that hasn't been said already?:grin:
The worst thing for me though was the bar staff in the Blues room bar - absolutely crap. :angry:
I'm now gonna do what I did after the last Southport weekender I was at...Trying to track down a track (is that how you put it?:confused: ). Who was the last DJ in the latin quarter on Sunday night? (It wasn't Trampy, DD, PP, Tiggerbabe, Marc or Roger Chin), and does anybody know if he has a playlist for the last 20 -30 mins?
There was one latin track I heard twice in the whole weekend which was just magic, like there were three harmonies going on at the same time - loved it.

And before anyone says ... Yes, next time I'll go ask the DJ right away :whistle:

skippy
6th-June-2006, 10:05 PM

It was so much fun doing it. Thanks to the wonderful skills of Nigel and Nina we all managed to get the routine. It worried me a little when placing my partner and myself in the second row to have you whole row moved to the front before the nights performance!!! NO PRESSURE!!!!
Alek you where a great partner!

The highlights for me......
learning WCS and now want to learn more.:worthy: Simon for helping me with confidence but not giving me another dance on Monday Morning!!!:blush:
Sheepman, loved the dances you where just what the doctor ordered when I felt I wasn't dancing well.:clap:
The surprise class from Somon Borland, amasing. Loved the routine and thanks to Jammie for getting out of bed after going to bed at 12noon that day to do the class with me.:hug:
Nice to see the "Stars mixing with everyone and never refusing to dance"
Met a young lad from Huddesfield (sorry can't remember his name) for some great dances on Sunday afternoon. Thanks:kiss:
Made a rule this year to dance with many more strangers which I did.

Down sides.....:tears:
Latin room too dark and too hot.
Missing Franck's waffles
not having a fixed partner for WCS
Not long enough time to dance everyone I wanted to.

Thanks to John and Wes. John as always I enjoyed our dances.
Wished there were more phots of lots of peolpe (not just the same ones!)
Looking forward to next year cause I am sad I can't make it in September. But will see you at the Scottish Chams the weekend before.
xxxxx:cheers: :hug: :hug:

Paul F
6th-June-2006, 10:10 PM
Just want to add my :worthy: :worthy: to John and Wes.

Awesome dance weekender last weekend. Big hugs :hug: to MsFAB for being such a fab chalet mate and driver :hug:

I enjoyed my dancing so much it is difficult to put it into words. I have really been missing my dancing lately so to have this weekender was a blessing. Thankyou so much to everyone I danced with.

Before I go into what I considered were the good and bad points I wanted to highlight what, for me, was the singular biggest joy of the weekend......The People. Ok, this is a bit luvvy :blush: but to be able to spend time chatting and laughing with truly wonderful people is, in itself, one of the biggest draws for me. Catching up with old friends as well as meeting people for the first time is all part of the fun.

Anyway, good + bad:

Good
The venue. Of all weekenders it has a BIG selling point. Blues room, doors open, sun shining (mostly) and fab dances. What an atmosphere. No other weekender has been able to match that IMO.

Southport's ability to attract so many excellent dancers. I must admit to being a bit worried how a sudden upsurge in weekenders will affect an events ability to attract a large body of experienced dancers. Not a problem here.

The unique atmosphere created due to the location of the venue ie. in the middle'ish of the UK

The effort to keep the rooms cool. I cant imagine it would ever be achievable to air-con rooms of that size and, yes, they were warm but lets face it, Im sure we have all danced in MUCH worse.

The Cabarets. Not too intrusive, started on time and superbly entertaining. The highlight for me was Anton and Erin. I love watching these guys dance. They made their Quickstep routine look so easy. Made me more determined to progess which, for me, is a big benefit of cabarets. Each cabaret was excellent though.

The size, shape and overall aesthetics of the venue. Speaking mainly about the blues room here. The ability to sit at various places to chill, watch the dancing or even sunbathe!! was great. Great feng-shui :grin:

Bad
I couldnt get into it on Friday night. The only reason I can see was Paul Amos. His music in the room named "BLUESVILLE" was, well, anything but! I enjoyed many fast dances over the weekend in the main room but didnt expect (and certainly didnt want) fast music in the blues room. Lots of Swing from said Mr. Amos. Im sure it would go down a storm (sorry about the pun) in a Swing room but if a room has a specific title maybe we should stick to it!

The floors in the blues room were especially sticky at first. The raised area did get better (largely i think due to the talc which was most welcome) but the lower floor was a lot stickier than previous times. I think the floors had been relaid which, by itself, is a great thing to see but it did make it slighter more difficult to dance on. And this is coming from someone whose suede shoes have a complete sheen on them :nice:

Stalls. I wonder if J+W could get more vendors to attend. Not just Kingdom of Dance.

Thats all I can think of right now. Fabulous weekend with awesome people. Thanks John and Wes. :cheers:

Baby Peaches
6th-June-2006, 11:08 PM
....Thanks for the special dispensation that allowed me to take part in the Belly Dancing workshop - my best workout in years and don't you ladies know how to have a great time ( oh dear that can't be right me building up a sweat in a room full of only women puffing and panting wanting more -what the hell, our little secret - bet you're sorry you missed it eh Zebra Woman lol )
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fanflippintastic that weekend was!!:clap:

Only the second Southport for me but the best out of the two (although thoroughly enjoyed that one too).

The ribs are still aching after the antics of Charles du Thom :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks Tiger pants, Peaches and Petal for the brilliant company and great belly laughs.

Highlight for me was Sunday afternoon at the Blues Room. It was great to just sit in the sunshine listening to excellent music and watching some fabulous dancing. It was lovely to also meet some of the other forumites and put faces to the names.

Also loved doing the charleston cabaret. What a hoot!! Well done Nigel and Nina for coming up with the routine.

Thanks to all those I danced with. The next time I will let you lead!!!

Lucy Locket
6th-June-2006, 11:31 PM
PM me!

I NEED to know:devil:

Why not ask me directly:angry:

foxylady
6th-June-2006, 11:31 PM
Met a young lad from Huddesfield (sorry can't remember his name) for some great dances on Sunday afternoon. Thanks:kiss:

Karl.

Karlhudds on the forum

Wasn't he lovely !

Lucy Locket
6th-June-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm so sorry about that. I can't believe that happened to you:mad:
Are you ok?

You never asked me tho :devil:

i didn't turn anyone down:flower:

Dance Demon
7th-June-2006, 12:16 AM
Who was the last DJ in the latin quarter on Sunday night? (It wasn't Trampy, DD, PP, Tiggerbabe, Marc or Roger Chin), and does anybody know if he has a playlist for the last 20 -30 mins?

That would be Toby Wan Kenobe. he was on last in the Latin Quarter on Sunday night Maxx. You could try sending him a PM via the forum or have a look at his website www.amanteballo.com I think there might be an email address on there. I didn't make it to the Latin Quarter, but I would have liked to have heard Toby's set, as he plays some really off the wall latin stuff:waycool:

Clive Long
7th-June-2006, 12:40 AM
That would be Toby Wan Kenobe. he was on last in the Latin Quarter on Sunday night Maxx. You could try sending him a PM via the forum or have a look at his website www.amanteballo.com I think there might be an email address on there. I didn't make it to the Latin Quarter, but I would have liked to have heard Toby's set, as he plays some really off the wall latin stuff:waycool:
All good stuff by the Tweek. ChaCha(Cha)s, Salsa, Tango-nuevo, that thing with Sarah Brightman and an Opera singer. However, Latin Room closed at 11pm or so on sunday night. What was that all about? :sad: Latin Dancers are creatures of the night - they only get out of bed around 11pm.

If you want to dance to that stuff, I have lost track of where they all hang out, but I think it is x-Lush (where x=Funky or Monday) or Monday Meltdown or MJDA. I will be put right if I have it wrong.

Wedge

Cruella
7th-June-2006, 08:13 AM
If you want to dance to that stuff, I have lost track of where they all hang out, but I think it is x-Lush (where x=Funky or Monday) or Monday Meltdown or MJDA. I will be put right if I have it wrong.

Wedge
Funky Lush at Burnham, check out www.funkylush.com :flower:

David Bailey
7th-June-2006, 08:47 AM
All good stuff by the Tweek. ChaCha(Cha)s, Salsa, Tango-nuevo, that thing with Sarah Brightman and an Opera singer. However, Latin Room closed at 11pm or so on sunday night. What was that all about? :sad: Latin Dancers are creatures of the night - they only get out of bed around 11pm.
I know, it was weird - I popped out for a bit, then came back to find the floor being taken up :eek:

Obviously, the answer is never to leave the Latin Room. :grin:

On the topic of floors, I thought the Blues Room was iffy on Friday night, but much better on Sat and Sunday (and to the crazy people who were dancing on the area outside the blues room - you're crazy; it wasn't not a dance floor and you only get one pair of knees, OK? Why not just dance on concrete while you're at it... :rolleyes: )

The floor in the Latin Room was OK, but started to develop a few minor interesting features (gaps, etc.) towards the end - fortunately, there was usually enough space to avoid those. Also, I didn't like the colourful spotlights in the central bit of the Latin Room- what was all that about then? :sick:

Oh, come on - it's Slough, admit it... :na:

ducasi
7th-June-2006, 09:00 AM
I know, it was weird - I popped out for a bit, then came back to find the floor being taken up :eek:

Obviously, the answer is never to leave the Latin Room. :grin: The Latin room was scheduled to close at 12 midnight on Sunday night. I believe that's when it closed.

On the topic of floors, I thought the Blues Room was iffy on Friday night, but much better on Sat and Sunday (and to the crazy people who were dancing on the area outside the blues room - you're crazy; it wasn't not a dance floor and you only get one pair of knees, OK? Why not just dance on concrete while you're at it... :rolleyes: ) I had no problems on any of the floors at any time. The decking outside the blues room is wooden – and probably just as sprung as the floor inside. It might not be quite as slippy as the floor inside, but I had no problems spinning. (YMMV.)

Also, I didn't like the colourful spotlights in the central bit of the Latin Room- what was all that about then? :sick: :yeah:

TheTramp
7th-June-2006, 09:00 AM
I had another great time at Southport.

It took me a while to get into it this time. Didn't really start dancing until 3am on Sunday mornin - I'd been over before then, but mostly just to DJ. Came to dance at 3am then, and had some cracking dances in the main room, to some cracking music by Tiggerbabe. And it just kept on getting better from then!

Had a great time, DJing until 9am on Sunday morning. The atmosphere there was amazing. So much fun. And thanks to the diet-killing breakfast from Wes and John.

Sunday afternoon in the blues room, then waffles, then the blues room again was great. And then the evening, dancing to music by Mark and DD (and maybe one or two dances when I was DJing, where I couldn't say no! :whistle: ). Just a shame that my legs gave out around 6am, and I could only sit and talk for the last half hour.

Thanks to all the people I danced with. There were some amazing dances. :clap: Sorry to all the people I missed. There just wasn't enough time. And I wish there had been... :sad:

Looking forward to seeing you all again in September :flower:

fletch
7th-June-2006, 09:04 AM
Why not ask me directly:angry:
I didn't mean it underhand PM on its way

:flower: :hug:

Divissima
7th-June-2006, 09:14 AM
The Latin room was scheduled to close at 12 midnight on Sunday night. I believe that's when it closed.Wes gave us an extension until 12.30 :clap: but then Toby really had to stop playing as they needed to take the floor up. It looked like quite a major job :worthy:

Maxx, I've sent you a PM - if you can describe the track in more detail, we should be able to help track it down.

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 09:25 AM
hi yes i remember you being introdused to me now lol very very very nice dance lol i hope there all like that next june

yeah im dyslexic lol if thats spealt wright sorry for spelling

and dance demon wow what grate music

i also thing sheena or the blong wcswinger very good set

and i orders the sound track from "take the lead"

Daisy
7th-June-2006, 09:45 AM

Yeah and make sure you come this month cos Ray & I are travelling all the way back from Australia just to see you ALL there.......yipee!!!:clap:

Jane & Ray xxxx:cheers:

Donna
7th-June-2006, 12:21 PM
Karl.

Karlhudds on the forum

Wasn't he lovely !

:yeah: Lovely person, great dancer!:clap:

Cruella
7th-June-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah and make sure you come this month cos Ray & I are travelling all the way back from Australia just to see you ALL there.......yipee!!!:clap:

Jane & Ray xxxx:cheers:
It's been on my calendar for ages, can't wait. :flower: :hug:

LMC
7th-June-2006, 12:34 PM
Great weekend

Dawn in the blues room :drool:

M1 traffic :mad: :(

Some fabulous dances with unknown and known people - apologies to anyone who danced with me on Friday when I lost my mojo after being thrown on the floor in the main room :tears: (luckily no injuries just a bit shaken, genuine accident and just "one of those things"). Best dancing for me - Saturday afternoon and Sunday night. Lovely.

Lesson learned: get a fixed partner organised for ballroom classes before the weekend. I'm all for 'rotating' and different partners in Franck & Sheena's (excellent) classes were very useful. But when it's complicated and there are 80,000 extra women, it feels like you've no sooner got the hang of what you're doing than you're having to get used to another partner or worse, off to the side. Thanks to Tessalicious for being a superb partner for the Rumba, just sorry I couldn't do any of the other ballroom classes :tears: Class was good, but could have done with a little less talk (entertaining though he was) and a bit more action.

Talking of Tessalicious and ballroom... one of the funniest moments of the weekend for me was the start of the quickstep class (I lasted all of 3 minutes) when Anton, looking straight at Tessa, commented that he approved of the stage because of the view it gave him. Could have fried an egg on her face :rofl: howling and banging hands and feet. :hug: - sorry you never got your dance with Anton babes (does it make Anton a hotshot that he kept saying "later" but never actually 'delivering'? :whistle: ).

Fantastic cabaret :respect: to the people who learned the routine in such a short space of time. Erin's dresses :drool: :drool:

Thanks John & Wes for a fab w/e (Wes, I came looking for you but never did get that dance :tears: - hopefully September :flower: )

Lynn
7th-June-2006, 12:50 PM
Another great thing - so many people I know now at these weekenders - esp nice to see so many folk from Spain so soon again.

But reminded by a PM from a forumite of one of the other 'regrets' of the weekend - so many people I missed dancing with. Several that I didn't even get to speak to, and several that I kept seeing en route to food/rest/workshops and had the 'we haven't danced yet, must do so later' and never did. Also regret that I didn't get to tango with more people - that was the plan for Sun night milonga and it didn't happen. (Even a prearranged via email tango.)

Just so many people, so little time. Roll on September!

PJH
7th-June-2006, 01:10 PM
Southport was superb, I did my first evening of dancing in the Blues room, and was amazed when I found it was 7.30 in the morning. I had lots of great dances. Although I never thought it would happen at such a class event, I ended up dancing to the Chico song, albeit whilst doing the foursome class, which had the great human seesaw move. I thought the flooring was superb compared to Camber.

BeeBee
7th-June-2006, 01:17 PM
Lows: having a gent ask me for a dance, then during the dance feverishly scratch his bits, and then offer me the hand he used to carry on with the dance. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Highs: everything else. Anton and Erins routines; Erins frocks were fantasticly floatily sparkily beautiful; the waffles at Frank and Sheenas; the challenge to see how many more people could have fitted into their chalet for the waffles on Sunday; Alex's foot massage (thanks again missus :flower: ); my first West Coast Swing class - I'm def going to do some more classes; John who offered to go over the class moves for a bit afterwards (thank you, I really appreciated that :flower: ); Sheenas DJ-ing (fab - as always missus :na: ); the fab fun dances I had over the weekend; dancing on the decking in the blues room - what a way to see the sun come up; the West Coast routines on the Saturday night - wow wow wow; the giggle at the services on the way back up the road, with Dundee and Glasgow squads; the tango on Saturday with Duncan, cheers Dunc,- it was like dodgems!; the chat and laugh in the car with Paul and William; William and I slagging Paul for most of the journey on the way back up the road (he took it really well - phew!); the cabaret on Saturday night, and the costumes people turned out in - so much effort had went into them; Nigel and Ninas class on Sunday; the list goes on and on and on . . . well done the organisers!

a great weekend, and I cant believe its over after all that time looking forward to it. Still there is always Blaze to look forward to . . . :clap:

Linda x :flower:

johnah
7th-June-2006, 01:30 PM
WOW! such wonderful comments, thank you. And, we'll look at all the constructive comments raised and see what we can do!

Over 1,100 dancers [and still counting] are already booked into September at Southport and, sadly for some, we have to announce that we are now only accepting bookings from mixed couples and men only.

Sorry ladies, but next up is Scarborough in November and Southport next February. Not forgetting of course, BIG BANG at the Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare in August.

See all again very soon.

John & Wes
www.jiveaddiction.com

Lounge Lizard
7th-June-2006, 01:56 PM
Southport was superb, Although I never thought it would happen at such a class event, I ended up dancing to the Chico song, albeit whilst doing the foursome class, which had the great human seesaw move. I also played it in the main hall Sunday night as the first track in my set - and yes some danced the routine to it - but it also filled the floor with regular dancers.

Last year we used the Frog Song for the Awesome foursome class
this year it was Chico time
let's hope they don't do a dance mix of agadoo for 2007.......now theree is an idea:what:

Big thanks to James & Melanie who helped with the routine but had to leave early so could not join us on stage this year
And thanks to Roger & Isabelle for teaching with us.
How about Isabelle, there she was dancing in the blues room Saturday afternoon, we asked her to join in our class and the next day she is up on the stage - her first time on a teaching stage, but not the last me-thinks.

My personal highlight of the weekend - Nina in the Blues room
That lady is a star, I hope she enjoys her year off and then comes back to MJ next year
Peter

Rebecca
7th-June-2006, 02:09 PM
Blinding!

Kept it simple this time. Kick back, chill, enjoy (I even had a drink or two – apologies to Raphael who I think wanted to tell me off :blush: )

I haven’t really experienced any post-Southport blues either.

Firstly; thank you to all the ladies who endured my attempts at leading this weekend. I have to keep trying to learn as Dan seems to be overtaking me at following! Thank you to everyone for making us feel so included in the whole event. Whether it’s cliquey or not I’m unsure (and unsure I care really) – it made a huge difference to me. There are some very special ladies here.:flower: I won’t name any but it was great to catch up with friends, established and new.

The gents I know and wish to pay some tribute to, I will name. Some I don’t know the name of, and some names I will have forgotten, but the memories remain – thank you:

Firstly Dan: Captain my Captain – he’s still blissfully unaware of why so many people consider him to be such a good dancer. One year on from our meeting last Southport and the sparks are very much still flying (the ladies know what I mean).

Ducasi: It was a pleasure to meet you. It’s so good to see someone enjoying themselves so much – a lovely gentle lead.

DJ?: Didn’t see enough of you – thank you for the lovely dances we managed to catch though (Don’t panic David James, it’s the other one – we didn’t get to dance at all!)

Franck: After practically rugby-tackling Drathzel (sorry Danielle) to get a chance to dance with you I’m really glad I did – very cool!

Jammy: I was really impressed watching you dance, and even more so following your excellent lead – adventurous!

KevF: My first dance of the weekend and BANG, straight into the zone – thank you so much for that Kev!

Lee – I have always had fun dancing with you when we get the chance, but this time I have to say I thought WOW!

Paul F: The Master AFAIC – not only do you blow me away every time we dance but you obviously love it (as do we Paul, the Captain included)

Raphael: So sexy on the dance floor it’s dangerous!

Robd: Those pivot turns were really something Rob – still smiling from that!

Russell Saxby: A shame I didn’t find you for more dances – such a dude (keep practising the poi)

Sheepman: I could have kept dancing with you all night Greg. As always so expressive, thanks for letting me play like the Thesp I once was.

Simon (from Bristol): First introduction for me – amazing style, great smile!

Spice’N’Easy: Again not enough dances with you Riaz, but always special.

Stewart38: You really let yourself go, and for that . . . Just what it’s all about – fab!

TheTramp: Eagerly awaited and not disappointed!

Toby Wan Kenobe: My new favourite! Musicality and Versatility to die for!

Under Par: I love dancing with you Paul. There are many reasons but overall I think it’s the sense that I can just submit to following whilst feeling completely safe to do so. Hope that makes sense.

Non-forumites I had some incredible dances with were Andy, Nick and, of course Noel . . . . Speechless!! :drool:

The best yet! Congratulations Wes and Jon. :cheers:

No complaints from me, oh, except what planet were the Pontins staff from? :rofl:

(nb if more people had pics on their profiles this type of thing would be easier)

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2006, 03:00 PM
and i orders the sound track from "take the lead"
Hee, hee, good man :D (and now I know who you are :wink: )

Not much I can add to all of the above, I had a fab time - brilliant dances and wonderful times spent with friends old and new. Sunday's waffle party has to go down as "the most people you can possibly get in one chalet" - I think next year we should have it in the blues room.

Had a blast dj-ing in all the rooms but a special mention to everyone who was in the main room on Saturday at 3am when I took over from Roger. You lot were amazing! I don't know where you all got your energy from, but despite having been supposed to finish at 4 it was nearly 5.30 when we called it a day!

I love the Sunday afternoon/early evening in the Blues Room :drool: and dancing on the decking is great, but then I don't ever have on high-heeled shoes.

Special memories of many, many brilliant dances but I'm not naming names because I'd never forgive myself if I forgot someone :eek: Was that Rob D with the "follow me" t-shirt on Sunday night?

Thanks John and Wes for another great weekend :hug:

Msfab
7th-June-2006, 03:14 PM
I love the Sunday afternoon/early evening in the Blues Room :drool: and dancing on the decking is great, but then I don't ever have on high-heeled shoes.
:yeah: Cant think of anything better!
Although im not that keen on dancing with people with dark shades!:cool:

:eek: Was that Rob D with the "follow me" t-shirt on Sunday night?
Yep that was the Gob!:devil:

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2006, 03:55 PM
Yep that was the Gob!:devil:
Thanks, we got a dance but I didn't catch his name :D

Msfab
7th-June-2006, 04:42 PM
I enjoyed was Robert and Deborah's second set - I only sat through it in anticipation of the AT cabaret (which never happened :tears: ).

The 2nd WCS was :drool:

Yes, what did happen to the tango couple? That was very disappointing!:(

Paul F
7th-June-2006, 04:47 PM
Having said that, I'm not a big cabaret fan anyway, the only part I enjoyed was Robert and Deborah's second set - I only sat through it in anticipation of the AT cabaret (which never happened :tears: ).

I too was looking forward to a possible AT cabaret. Oh well.

R+D's cabarets were certainly something though :worthy:

Just thinking back over the weekend and I never did go swimming which was something I had planned on. Has anyone seen the pool there? If so, whats it like cleanliness wise?

I had even bought a £90 pair of versace swimming shorts too :rolleyes: :rofl:

Cruella
7th-June-2006, 04:51 PM
Just thinking back over the weekend and I never did go swimming
Oh yeah, i remember on friday, you were going to have an audience to see how your stroke was. :D

Sheepman
7th-June-2006, 04:52 PM
The 2nd WCS was :drool: In case anyone didn't know, the first WCS they did was freestyle, not a choreographed routine.

Greg

Msfab
7th-June-2006, 04:56 PM
I had even bought a £90 pair of versace swimming shorts too :rolleyes: :rofl:

Oh yes those shorts, versace you say! We never did get round to sorting you out with the Zebra hat/scarf thingy!:whistle: :tears:

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2006, 04:57 PM
Has anyone seen the pool there? If so, whats it like cleanliness wise?

I took the boys swimming last June, but didn't venture to the pool this time. It's quite a big main pool with a smaller "play" area. We had the whole pool to ourselves for over an hour. The lifeguards were friendly and the pool and changing rooms were clean.

Msfab
7th-June-2006, 04:59 PM
In case anyone didn't know, the first WCS they did was freestyle, not a choreographed routine.

I didnt know that! Thanks Greg. In any case both were :drool: . They are great performers!

Im off to WCS tonight to learn some of that stuff! :whistle:

azande
7th-June-2006, 05:17 PM
My personal highlight of the weekend - Nina in the Blues room
That lady is a star...

Nina, thank you for "Feeling Good" and for your words :blush: !

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 05:26 PM
well what a weekend hey

absoubtly every dance i had this time was a well spend impro of musicality

i feel that stricly come dance had influenced quite alot of people in their dance styles :respect: good thing

ohhhh yes sophie if your out there on the forum yes i do still want to compeat i just compleatly missed your number so anyone who can give it me then we can get in touch

fab dancer fab dancers :clap:

Rebecca
7th-June-2006, 05:26 PM

The curse of naming names - just had a flashback to our dances - apologies and thank you :drool:

Tessalicious
7th-June-2006, 05:42 PM
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts about the weekend - sorry it's such an essay, but it all needs saying.

Firstly, just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who persuaded me to go to Southport in the first place. It was so worth every second of lost sleep, sitting on the motorway, or even staying in Pontins to be part of such a fabulous event.

Highlights for me:

Anton and Erin – I know, he’s a twat for promising to dance with me and not delivering, but he’s still a great teacher and dancer, and very nice to look at especially from the back view. And getting a hug and several kisses on the cheek from him at the end of the Quickstep class (I’m not even going to discuss his comments about me in the class).

Robert and Deborah – I didn’t learn that much from their classes, simply because my WCS lead isn’t up to Improver level and most of the followers I danced with in the Beginners lesson weren’t getting even that. Nevertheless it reminded me a lot of what I’ve been missing not getting to Cat’s lessons, and I think I learnt so much from watching her, her styling gave me some great ideas. Quote of the weekend came from her “Terrorists hijack, dancers follow” – some advice maybe I should take some notice of :blush: .

Having the guts (helped by LMC and DJ) to go up and join the queue for Nina’s dance jam, and being taken to the front of the queue by Simon Selmon, presumably for the novelty value, which meant I finally got my dance with Nina (even if it was only three bars long :mad: ).

Dancing through the northern sunrise with so many of my favourite people (sorry, got all lovey-dovey there for a minute).

Meeting and getting dances with (new people to me) Franck, Sheena, ducasi, jammy, Aleks (you’re a bad girl, missy), Lynn, karlhudds, Simon from Bristol (eventually :rolleyes: ), Little Em, Northants Girly, Lucy Locket, Claire S, Dave Hancock, Yliander, and TallGuyNiceShoes, as well as more dances with people I see rarely like Lisa :drool:, azande, Trampy, Paul F (please, come back to us, Paul), Gus, and jivecat. If I’ve missed anyone out (except the usual crowd who I dance with a lot – you all know who you are and you’re all fabtastic), then sorry, but I’m not quite on full concentration levels yet.

That dance with xxx (sorry, would fill in the name, but every one was so delicious I can’t possibly single any out – so if you danced with me, especially Saturday or Sunday night, I loved it!).

Going to Jango on the Monday because I couldn’t bear my next dancing to be Lindy after all that smooth latin/blues over the weekend.

Tone-lowering the right way – having waffles at Franck and Sheena’s with the innuendo flowing more smoothly than the chocolate spread, but working so much better because we were all laughing together – I can remember the last time I had so much fun in such a big group without any dancing involved.

Lowlights

ESG not being there :blush:

Not getting into my zone until the wee small hours on Sunday, just after midnight – until then, although the classes had been great, the mood had been no different to anything I was used to and I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

The people I didn’t meet – JonD and PretzelMeister (ok, we met in the car park on Monday morning, but it’s not the same) spring to mind.

Wanting to put all the Scottish dancers in my suitcase and take them home with me, but knowing they’d by uncomfortable because of all the dance shoes sticking into them…

EDIT: *slaps self* and forgot to say, thanks so much to spikey blond, Keith J, and particularly LMC for being fab chalet-mates - it was at the back of my mind because I spent so little time there :whistle: .

Aleks
7th-June-2006, 06:38 PM
(you’re a bad girl, missy),
:eek: really :eek:?
I can't imagine being 'good' would be much fun...

I can remember the last time I had so much fun in such a big group without any dancing involved.
When was that then?

Paul F
7th-June-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh yes those shorts, versace you say! We never did get round to sorting you out with the Zebra hat/scarf thingy!:whistle: :tears:

Well, they were Versace'ish :nice:
It just so happens Tesco were selling them cheap at £5. Oh, and they had changed the label from Versace to Cherokee :blush:

I took the boys swimming last June, but didn't venture to the pool this time. It's quite a big main pool with a smaller "play" area. We had the whole pool to ourselves for over an hour. The lifeguards were friendly and the pool and changing rooms were clean.

Thats good to hear. Think I will try and give it a go next time. Is there a jacuzzi or is that too much to ask :confused: Im thinking it could be really nice as a post-dancing, pre-nap activity :)

Little Monkey
7th-June-2006, 07:40 PM
:eek: really :eek:?
I can't imagine being 'good' would be much fun...

And I can't imagine it being much 'you' either!:rofl: :rofl:

LM xx

David Bailey
7th-June-2006, 08:09 PM
Has anyone seen the pool there? If so, whats it like cleanliness wise?
Yep - I went there, twice, on the Saturday and Sunday early evenings. 33m main pool, with scary deep end (and sunken crocodile :) ), kiddy pool, nice and quiet - it was great. Much nicer than the Camber pool.

(maybe we could have a thread on "Weekender swimming pools we have tried" :) )

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 08:11 PM
to be honest
and i will be brutily
i never danced once in the main room

and only just once in the latin quarter

is that wrong?

Aleks
7th-June-2006, 08:15 PM

I only set foot once in the main room; to watch the cabarets, though did spend an hour or so of Fri/Sat nights in the latin room.
I doubt there were many forumites that spent much time in the main room.

foxylady
7th-June-2006, 08:18 PM
to be honest
and i will be brutily

and only just once in the latin quarter

is that wrong?

Snap !

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 08:21 PM
lol its nice to hear not everyone likes "ceroc music"

no offence to anyone

all nice banter here hey ?

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 08:27 PM
as my mum and quit alot of other people say

"each to there own" im just not a lating person

althought i like the taste it once in a while

blues all the way

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 08:29 PM
i can't spell :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ducasi
7th-June-2006, 08:31 PM
i can't spell :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
That doesn't matter – compared to you, I can't dance. :wink:

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 08:33 PM
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
thank you thats a nice thing to say

:cheers: ill get the next round in june lol

*karl dosent drink but thinks its nice to offer to very nice people*

Yliander
7th-June-2006, 08:39 PM
I had a mixed experience in Southport - bad and good – if you had asked me on Saturday if I would go to another weekend I would have said I’ll pass – if you had asked me again Sunday Evening my response would have been do I have to go home? Can’t we all just stay here and play forever!

Can’t make September – but will be booking for Feb 2007 - I don’t plan ahead – much

My non-enjoyment had more to do with my own issues (bad foot, shyness) than the event - I found the Friday & Saturday night Freestyles just …. to much, so intense, so hyped, so many people and I knew so few, my foot was playing up so dancing was painful and with so many people it was hard to find a place to sit and watch with out having to decline many dances.

On Sunday when I dragged myself out of bed and over to the WCS class discovered that there was a marked change in vibe – it was much more relaxed and mellow nicely laid back and everything felt comfortable and I spent a blissful time hanging around the bluesroom dancing, chatting and ducking off to the odd workshop or 2

I have to say the event itself was fantastic – and apart from my own foibles - only a couple of low lights and many highlights

Low Lights

Non-rotational tango class
Way to crowded waltz class – bailed out before it even started
No name tags at the forum reception!! :sick: Well done to those that had their own t-shirts & badges:respect:
Not meeting so many people I wanted to.
Having to decline so many dances due to having to rest foot :sad:
Having to go to bed at 4am on Monday morning so as to be able to drive home – next time I’m hiring a chauffer so I can sleep :wink:

High Lights

Hugs & chats from drathzel
Foot massage on from Tessalicious
MsFab leading me in the Tango class And an additional thank you to MsFab for continuously pointing out and introducing me to forumites to for the entirety of the weekend
Dan in the ladies styling class *giggle*
Dancing with Robert Cordoba – an absolute gentleman
Getting 2 dances with Viktor and getting the giggles when he hummed along to the music :blush:
Practising my very limited WCS with the very patient Paul (not on the forum) and not getting every figure wrong
Convincing Isabella to ask Paul F – although I didn’t know it was him – for a dance
Dancing in my flip flops in the Blues room with Under par & Paul F
Final dance with Marc in the main ballroom
ALL my fabulous dancers with everyone – I would name names but I know I’ll end up leaving someone out and I didn’t always get names :blush:

ducasi
7th-June-2006, 08:45 PM
I doubt there were many forumites that spent much time in the main room. I spent a fair amount of time in the main room – probably more than in the latin room. I didn't like it much when it was crowded, but then I don't like crowded dance floors – and when it was crowded, the blues room was much worse.

I had some of my best dances "after hours" in the main room once the crowds had dispersed, with Tiggerbabe playing some storming tunes. Set me up for another hour or so in the blues room...

I probably only spent more time in the blues room than elsewhere because that was the only choice much of the time.

Anyway, I saw quite a few forumites in the main room – had some really fab dances with some of them too. :nice:

karlhudds
7th-June-2006, 09:05 PM
did anyone elce really enjoy the salsa classes

the guy *forgive me i dont remeber his name* teaching was really funny

makes learning even more fun

skippy
8th-June-2006, 12:09 AM
His name was Lee!!
What a fab class very funny and learnt loads. Wished I could have got a fixed partner cause many of the guys couldn't get the moves in the Intermediate class.
Karl, sorry I forgot your name. Thank you for my dances.
Hope to get some more very soon!!
x

Paul F
8th-June-2006, 04:47 AM
His name was Lee!!
What a fab class very funny and learnt loads. Wished I could have got a fixed partner cause many of the guys couldn't get the moves in the Intermediate class.
Karl, sorry I forgot your name. Thank you for my dances.
Hope to get some more very soon!!
x

I knew there was something I wanted to do :rolleyes:
I really enjoyed Lee's classes last year. Such a funny guy but a genuinely nice one too.

Oh well, maybe next time.

fletch
8th-June-2006, 08:56 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can join the Fletch and Jammy club

And you are the most wonderful dancer, I only asked you cos Chef said I must he was right, your a bit scary but I was very brave, and I came away felling Yessssssssssss! :worthy:

Tinkerbell
8th-June-2006, 01:55 PM
Fantastic weekend :D !!!

It was my first time at Southport and will certainly not be my last:grin:

Good points:

I enjoyed each and every dance I had over the weekend & it was good to put faces to names. Too many names to mention, so thanks to everyone I had the pleasure to dance with :flower:

The showcases and cabaret routine were brill :respect:

Loved sitting watching everyone dancing when my feet gave up on me. Amazing dancers with such style, I was blown away by some of them :worthy:

Less good points: (no bad points)

Felt a bit shy over the weekend and now wish I had asked more guys to dance, was a bit scared to ask those I didn't know who looked like great dancers :sick:

I didn't want the weekend to end and I'm still on a high (not got the post weekender blues yet)!!

Overall:

Great company, fab dancers, fantastic music, chocolate waffles, lovely weather, a perfect weekend...what more could a girl ask for.....
to do it all again in September :clap: :D :clap:

Gillian xxx

PS - Thanks for the iron Paul F :hug:

Paul F
8th-June-2006, 02:39 PM
PS - Thanks for the iron Paul F :hug:

No problem :hug: Glad I could be of use.

Of course, you do realise you owe me a dance now :wink:

Tinkerbell
8th-June-2006, 02:45 PM
Of course, you do realise you owe me a dance now :wink:

Definitely:drool: You were one of the ones I was too shy to ask!

Asking for an iron - no problem. Asking for a dance - different story :blush:

Hope to see you in September then :hug:

Paul F
8th-June-2006, 03:15 PM
Definitely:drool: You were one of the ones I was too shy to ask!

Asking for an iron - no problem. Asking for a dance - different story :blush:

Hope to see you in September then :hug:

Please dont be shy. I may have had more practice in how to hide my mistakes but thats about it.

I will look forward to Southport. :hug:

Cruella
8th-June-2006, 03:50 PM
Please dont be shy. I may have had more practice in how to hide my mistakes but thats about it.

I will look forward to Southport. :hug:
Might be worth asking him at the beginning of the evening though :whistle: :D

Sparkles
8th-June-2006, 04:18 PM
I have had more practice in how to hide my mistakes
I like this.
Think I might use it in future if you don't mind?

(some people get worried when they hear my response to "How long have you been dancing", but in truth all that it means is that what Paul F says above is true).

FXS N.Q
8th-June-2006, 04:49 PM
I really enjoyed Southport even more than I did last September. Could be due to the weather, the point that I actually did dance in the blues room this time, it also helped that I knew people and wasn't afraid to ask strangers up to dance this time. However I was still to wary to ask some really good dancers that I have never danced with before.

Thanks to all the people I danced with and chatted to.

Roll on September for pretty much the same thing, though I will need to improve in the mean time so I don't feel so out of place in the blues room.

Yliander
8th-June-2006, 04:50 PM
High Lights

Hugs & chats from drathzel
Foot massage on from Tessalicious
MsFab leading me in the Tango class And an additional thank you to MsFab for continuously pointing out and introducing me to forumites to for the entirety of the weekend
Dan in the ladies styling class *giggle*
Dancing with Robert Cordoba – an absolute gentleman
Getting 2 dances with Viktor and getting the giggles when he hummed along to the music :blush:
Practising my very limited WCS with the very patient Paul (not on the forum) and not getting every figure wrong
Convincing Isabella to ask Paul F – although I didn’t know it was him – for a dance
Dancing in my flip flops in the Blues room with Under par & Paul F
Final dance with Marc in the main ballroom
ALL my fabulous dancers with everyone – I would name names but I know I’ll end up leaving someone out and I didn’t always get names :blush:

I knew I had forgotten a highlight :blush: :blush: - the most fabulous travelling companion - Little Monkey!!! - thank you for the giggles, chatting and chocolate cake :hug:

Little Monkey
8th-June-2006, 06:43 PM
I knew I had forgotten a highlight :blush: :blush: - the most fabulous travelling companion - Little Monkey!!! - thank you for the giggles, chatting and chocolate cake :hug:

And thank you for giving me a lift! You're great travelling company! Ooooh, and what about those group wee-wees we had on the way down with Trampy? :whistle: :rofl:

I also forgot to mention my lovely chalet mates, Divissima, TwK and, of course, Sheepy. It was great sharing with you guys!:flower:

Paul F
8th-June-2006, 07:33 PM
I like this.
Think I might use it in future if you don't mind?

Not at all :nice:

Limpy Tink
8th-June-2006, 08:40 PM
Might be worth asking him at the beginning of the evening though :whistle: :D

:rofl: I'll 2nd that - next time I will bring a big stash of those jaffa cakes to keep your energy levels up. :wink:

skippy
8th-June-2006, 08:49 PM
However I was still to wary to ask some really good dancers .

BUT YOU DANCED WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!:yum: :whistle: :wink:

Baby Peaches
8th-June-2006, 09:14 PM
I really enjoyed Southport even more than I did last September. Could be due to the weather, the point that I actually did dance in the blues room this time, it also helped that I knew people and wasn't afraid to ask strangers up to dance this time. However I was still to wary to ask some really good dancers that I have never danced with before.

Thanks to all the people I danced with and chatted to.

Roll on September for pretty much the same thing, though I will need to improve in the mean time so I don't feel so out of place in the blues room.

I had a lovely dance with you :clap: . Apologies if I led a little too much. It is all I do over here in Norway so find it difficult to get into following mode. Don't be shy to ask up the really good dancers. It is the only way to learn and get better!! Remember, everyone started off as a beginner once.:flower:

karlhudds
8th-June-2006, 09:39 PM
i feel loved and its grate to join the club lol thank you for the compliment

i loved all the dances i have wuith the forumilities ? is that the word lol all the people on this contraption

a grate load of people

hope to do it all again in june

p.s wcs rules

Sparkles
8th-June-2006, 09:47 PM
hope to do it all again in june

Please tell me you mean September :what:
.... I'd rather not have to wait a whole year for an oppertunity to dance with you! :flower:

karlhudds
8th-June-2006, 10:02 PM
i.. erm ..... well im not paid enough at pizza hut to come twice a year and again thank you for the compliment

and well i wish i could come in sept but i dont think ill have time either

im still at college and im 19
lots of things to be getting on with
getting a new patuner

Lory
8th-June-2006, 10:51 PM
However I was still to wary to ask some really good dancers .
Erm, I was just wondering... did you ask me? :confused: :innocent: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

under par
8th-June-2006, 10:56 PM
i.. erm ..... well im not paid enough at pizza hut to come twice a year and again thank you for the compliment

and well i wish i could come in sept but i dont think ill have time either

im still at college and im 19
lots of things to be getting on with
getting a new patuner

There's also Feb 2007 if you can make it:yeah:

under par
8th-June-2006, 11:55 PM
Well I have to declare at the beginning of this post that I am Under Par and I ma a Southport-a-holic and declare this interest so that anything i say wo'nt be held against me.

WOW! For me it was also just the best ever weekender.

Mrs Par and I love Southport and with us both suffering a bit of whiplash since march it was great to attend not suffering.

We had an absolute ball!

So many great dancers it was difficult to ensure you danced with everyone you wanted to dance with even with all the dancing time available. I still left thinking I wish I had danced more with X and oh God! I didn't manage to dance with Y.

To all you ladies (and 3 or 4 men) to whom I danced with :respect: You were the so brill thankyou.

To all the Djs:worthy: :worthy: guys and Sheena you are the reason so many people want to dance so much and for so long, you inspire us with the tracks you play and you make the weekend.

To Marc foster for scratching during Sunday evening set :respect: I have never seen or heard anything quite like that pure brilliance.

To all who organised the BBQ thankyou it was great.

To John and Wes for arranging the great weather you have magic powers:whistle:

To Mrs Par for dreaming up the theme for Saturday night, you are a star:kiss: :hug: :hug:

To Sheena and Franck for a late morning nachos and waffles and bubbly.. you 2 are wonderful hosts and party animals sorry for the terrible puns which were apologies for jokes.

To little Monkey for a lovey horizontal end to a dance mmmmm!

To my mother in law for ironing the 47 shirts I used over the weekend:hug:

I really cannot explain the phenomenum of Southport but long may it continue , it really is the best weekender.

To Limpy Tink and whoever else brought Silver Fox up to Southport even after appendicitus I have never laughed so much for a long time.

I had such a good time I fear the next few weeks as there is a little to replace the feelings post Southport.

The BUZZ that is the Bluesville area that started from 2pm on friday afternoon until 7 Monday morning, is really something to behold, the BUZZ was there all weekend a focal point for freindships, dancing, music, drinking and food WOW!

The caberet was awesome, getting to dance with Nina and 3 times with Deborah was brill.

Deborah and Robert Cordoba were absolute stars, dancing with everyone until the very late hours all weekend .

Roll on September and February next year.

Jive Addiction, John and Wes you have set the standard for all to chase :respect:

FXS N.Q
9th-June-2006, 09:18 AM
BUT YOU DANCED WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!:yum: :whistle: :wink:
Quite a few times aswell, still sorry you were meant to be my last dance two nights in a row, but when I got to the door Jennifer asked me and there is no way I could and would of knocked back a dance from a lovely dancer like Jennifer.

FXS N.Q
9th-June-2006, 09:22 AM
Erm, I was just wondering... did you ask me? :confused: :innocent: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm not to sure but I think I did dance with you in October last year though at the B.F.G unless I am mixing you up with someone else. If not there is always September.

FXS N.Q
9th-June-2006, 09:30 AM
I had a lovely dance with you :clap: . Apologies if I led a little too much. It is all I do over here in Norway so find it difficult to get into following mode. Don't be shy to ask up the really good dancers. It is the only way to learn and get better!! Remember, everyone started off as a beginner once.:flower:
Well I'm not as shy as I used to be but still need to encourage myself into asking more people rather than sitting off for a few songs in a row. Appoligies are mine aswell as I'm not as strong a lead as I can be, unless you dance with me when I'm drunk but dont think you would really want to dance with me then, especially with beer breath.

Dizzy
9th-June-2006, 09:56 AM
Well I'm not as shy as I used to be but still need to encourage myself into asking more people rather than sitting off for a few songs in a row

I had a few lovely dances with you and you were great so thank you :flower:.

Jennifer
9th-June-2006, 02:01 PM
Quite a few times aswell, still sorry you were meant to be my last dance two nights in a row, but when I got to the door Jennifer asked me and there is no way I could and would of knocked back a dance from a lovely dancer like Jennifer.

:blush::blush: How sweet. I'll make sure I catch you earlier next time :hug:

Wendy
9th-June-2006, 03:21 PM
I had a fab time - eventually. I was in rabbit-staring-at-headlights mode on Friday and by 7 on Monday morning, I was jumping around like the Duracell bunny and didn't want to stop !

Great to dance with Paul F (I was terrified to ask but what a honey :flower: ), the Follow Me t shirt guy and Mr Mellow aka Raphael (still recovering - thought I'd died and gone to Better Than Chocolate Heaven...sigh). Some fantastic dances with Marc (of Marc and Rachel) especially since we don't always get it right :kiss:, Diamond Geezer and RoyBoy who, like Ronseal, always does what it says on the tin :hug:... and Ducassi you just get better and better and you have to get THAT move copyrighted :drool:

Too many great dancers to mention of course and many who's names I'll never even know :tears: (and I don't even know your name Mr grey spikey hair blue tshirt big muscles guy who made me do that drop :eek: and yes you didn't nick my towel it was back in my chalet :blush: )

The music was magic !!!! I love those mellow sunny afternoon sessions and of course the Blues Room late at night. I didn't dance once in the Latin Room cos every time I went in it was just too Latin for my liking but I had fun in the main room (especially LL's set) and a ball in the Blues Room pretty much any time I danced.

A huge thank you to Robert Cordoba for dancing with me (considering I'd never done any WCS - I really shouldn't have asked :blush: ) and for smiling the whole time. I felt really awful for asking (cos I really had NO clue) and when I asked him how he managed to smile all the time, he replied "Cos I'm having fun " :worthy:

Great to catch up with all the Scots (and adopted Scots too of course :hug: :kiss: ). And Aleks and Little Monkey I thought you were both looking fabulous !

Really enjoyed the Rumba class, the waltz class and the Tool Box class - will buy the video just for that !

Well done the cabaret team. And what a treat to see Robert and Deborah in action and Anton and Erin in real life :worthy:

Back in (very) sunny France so managing to keep the post-Southport blues at bay - just !

:hug: :kiss: :flower: :kiss: :hug:

Wxxx

Northants Girly
9th-June-2006, 03:24 PM
the Follow Me t shirt guy robd I recall :D

Minnie M
9th-June-2006, 03:32 PM
......... (and I don't even know your name Mr grey spikey hair blue tshirt big muscles guy who made me do that drop :eek: and yes you didn't nick my towel it was back in my chalet :blush: ) .........
sounds like MikeR :flower:
I had a couple a fab dances with him :worthy: and we cleared up some "wrong impression bad vibes" we are good mates now :clap: :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Wendy
9th-June-2006, 04:02 PM
robd I recall :D

Thanks - and I even followed BTW :D

Wx

Wendy
9th-June-2006, 04:06 PM
sounds like MikeR :flower:
I had a couple a fab dances with him :worthy: and we cleared up some "wrong impression bad vibes" we are good mates now :clap: :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Thanks ! and there's an idea for a thread ! Bet that happens all the time. Same thing on the forum. Of course it works the other way round too..

Wx

ducasi
9th-June-2006, 04:08 PM
... Ducassi you just get better and better and you have to get THAT move copyrighted :drool: Thanks Wendy. :hug:

It was good to see you again – I really enjoyed our dances.

I had a lot of fun with that move. It did seem to impress quite a lot of my partners... :wink:

jiveaddicted
9th-June-2006, 04:17 PM
lol i did the salsa class finally found bed about half 2 i kept bumping in to people sometime southport can be to friendly :)

Minnie M
9th-June-2006, 04:21 PM
......... kept bumping in to people sometime southport can be to friendly :)
nah :nice: not true :flower: that's what I love about our dance scene

however, you don't have to chat :whistle: a quick goodnight see you in the morning does work

jammy
9th-June-2006, 07:09 PM
i think its time for my post im sorry i took so long but not had a lot of time

and im sorry if some of you dont understand the way i type but im sorry!

i had the time of my life at southport it was amzin!
i met loads more people mostly people of the fourm! i never had a bad dance the whole weekend:grin:

only managed to do 2 classes one was victors silky smooth jive loved everymove! and after stayin up all night dancin to trampys set then in the last 18! went to bed just after 12 and got up for a class at 4 because i said to skippy i would be a fixed couple with her in Simon B's class really enjoyed that too!

i want to thank everyone who danced with me!

and a big thankz to foxylady:hug: for makin me a line up of ladys to dance with me they were all fab!!:clap: :worthy:

oh and sparkels your hugs are magic:hug:

jammyxxx

Little Monkey
9th-June-2006, 10:29 PM
And Aleks and Little Monkey I thought you were both looking fabulous !

Thank you, sweetie! :flower: :blush:

To little Monkey for a lovey horizontal end to a dance mmmmm!

I'll never forget that! (or the aerials where you made me feel like a feather weight rag-doll!:respect: ) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Graham
10th-June-2006, 12:04 PM
Having got that off my chest, let me just say that I had a really good time at the weekend - well worth a trip back to Blighty! I had a great time with lots of wonderful dances. Well done to John and Wes for another great weekend! Next time I really must be a bit more active on the forum beforehand though so that I find out about barbecues and waffle parties! I also missed the forum reception period, so missed identifying any of the forumites I don't already know!

The only low point for me was the service in the Queen Victoria, both food and drink. It took about 40 minutes for them to bring me a baked potato and a sandwich. Previously I think the jokers behind the bar during the day were replaced by people who gave the appearance of actually knowing what they were doing in the evening, but this time I only found one bar-person, one of the girls who was on duty on Sunday evening, who was even remotely efficient. Example - beer keg needs replacing, so Dumb stands at the tap (doing nothing) while Dumber goes to change the barrel. Dumber returns and stands watching while Dumb tries to pour the pint, but there's still something wrong, so Dumber goes off to try again. Dumb is then completely taken aback by our request that he pours our diet coke while he's waiting. "But I'm trying to serve this other lady!" John and Wes, I completely realise how much effort you put into this, but Pontins are letting you down. I hope you can persuade them to do better in future.

robd
11th-June-2006, 06:33 PM
Went straight on to the Lake District after Southport for a week - can highly recommend this to help recover from the weekend's exertions - hence the late posting. Hopefully will interrupt some of the needless sniping re the group cabaret.

Good
* Bluesville - I had maybe a handful of dances in the main room (filling time pre-cabaret) and a similar number in the LQ (too dark). The Blues room just felt like home. And crucially, this is the first weekender where I really felt at home in that environment.
* Music - some great tracks played. My personal favourite sets were by Steve Lampert on Sun and Monday mornings but it was a close run thing.
* Dances - so many excellent dances with faces familiar and new.
* Sunday afternoon - I went to watch Viktor's class, bunked out after 10 mins lured to the Blues room by the music and the people. I was wearing sandals and deliberately had left my dance shoes back at the chalet so that I would not be tempted to dance and could conserve energy for the evening. As it turns out, Birkenstocks are great for dancing in and the following 5 hours provided some of my best dances of the whole weekend. Sorry for the shades though, I know they looked stupid but I hadn't brought the case with me.
* That early morning twilight zone - where you don't mind if execution doesn't match intention (never call them mistakes)
* Inspiration - so many leaders to look to for the way forward. The usual suspects but also new to me were Animaltalk and Bristol Simon (I think) - great quality albeit in very different ways

Bad
* People berating the bar staff on Sunday afternoon. Yes there was a big queue and I gave up in the end and bought a can of lager from the shop but it's not the barman's fault he's single handed is it?
* Too crowded for comfort until 2 to 3 a.m but if I love being in the the Blues Room so much why shouldn't everyone else?
* Realising just how much work I need to do on styling and musical interpretation.
* So many people I wanted to dance with but didn't get the chance, either through lack of courage or opportunity or just not knowing they were there (Cee Cee) .
* Only doing one class, having decided to make freestyle a priority. So many quality teachers but I don't have the stamina to do classes all day and dance all night.
* Msfab missing her T-Shirt tribute.

Ugly
* Asking somebody to dance at around 5 o clock one morning and giving them an easy get out clause (i.e are you dancing or are you dead on your feet) which they duly took only for her to then take to the floor (albeit with an admittedly younger, fitter model) about 10 seconds later. I can't name names as I don't know hers but she was at the forum BBQ on Sat night.

Can't wait for September.

Robert

robd
11th-June-2006, 06:37 PM
photos are now up!!!

Lots of pictures of Chelsea (the dancer not the place) should see healthy order numbers from the younger males and the ones of Jammy should see likewise for the female forumites, eh?

robd
11th-June-2006, 06:43 PM

I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but no-one & i mean no-one has the right to do this sort of thing anywhere.

Much as I wouldn't wish this on anyone I can't reconcile 'OK if you like the guy' with 'no-one has the right to do this sort of thing' as giving a clear, consistent message that such behaviour is unacceptable (which I firmly believe it is). What if the person involved (mistakenly) thinks that you do like him and acted accordingly (though subsequent posts seem to suggest he's a serial offender in this respect)?

Robert

Clive Long
11th-June-2006, 07:12 PM
Much as I wouldn't wish this on anyone I can't reconcile 'OK if you like the guy' with 'no-one has the right to do this sort of thing' as giving a clear, consistent message that such behaviour is unacceptable (which I firmly believe it is). What if the person involved (mistakenly) thinks that you do like him and acted accordingly

Robert
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: I couldn't quite put my finger on what troubled me about this complaint from Lucy and, for me, you have picked it out.

(though subsequent posts seem to suggest he's a serial offender in this respect)?

So, through the ladies' network, built up while waiting to dance, he should now be identified and "Black-listed".Still I'm troubled by that as, one's person's blues dancing is another person's inappropriate behaviour I think (old, old topic). Convicted by hearsay.

Clive

jammy
11th-June-2006, 07:16 PM
Lots of pictures of Chelsea (the dancer not the place) should see healthy order numbers from the younger males and the ones of Jammy should see likewise for the female forumites, eh?

i sure dont see alot of me gettin sold (what do u think foxylady?) but i agree on you with Chelsea

foxylady
11th-June-2006, 08:08 PM
i sure dont see alot of me gettin sold (what do u think foxylady?) but i agree on you with Chelsea

Oi - cheeky !!

Why would I want to buy photos when I can get my hands on the real thing ?? :yum: :drool:

Juju
11th-June-2006, 10:03 PM
Having read through this thread I'd just like to add that I enjoyed Southport a lot, despite the fact that I was an utter wuss on Friday night and was too scared to ask anyone to dance... and so threw in the towel after a pathetic three - yes, three - dances. (Wah!) However, by the end of the weekend I was having a great time and was not happy that I had to leave when I did (4 am on Monday morning).

Also thank you to Graham-from-Versailles for dancing with me and for listening to me blether on and on. Graham, if you're reading this, I was the garrulous little git who wore a fleece whilst dancing. :D

Wendy
11th-June-2006, 10:08 PM
I was an utter wuss on Friday night and was too scared to ask anyone to dance... Maybe we could invent a funny handshake so we know we are not alone :hug: :kiss: :hug:

I suppose we have to remember it's only 4 minutes out of someone's life. It's not like we are making them sit through a cabaret or anything :whistle:

Wx

Juju
11th-June-2006, 10:17 PM
I thought the Charleston looked rather fun, from my vantage point perched on a rather dangerous ledge. But hey, what do I know?

Wendy, I have henceforth vowed to no longer be a wuss - can we invent a funny handshake for ex-wusses?

Graham
11th-June-2006, 10:24 PM
Also thank you to Graham-from-Versailles for dancing with me and for listening to me blether on and on. Graham, if you're reading this, I was the garrulous little git who wore a fleece whilst dancing. :D
You're very welcome! And welcome to the forum! I hope that you really have turned over a new leaf and will ask more people to dance next time. And remember what I said about not carrying your bag! :wink:

Wendy
11th-June-2006, 10:29 PM
I have henceforth vowed to no longer be a wuss - can we invent a funny handshake for ex-wusses? What about a semi-circle :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wx

FXS N.Q
12th-June-2006, 11:23 AM
the ones of Jammy should see likewise for the female forumites, eh?
That might be a good idea for a business venture considering I have an easy access of getting pictures of my brother to sell. I think you would be elligable for at least a 10% share in the profits.

Ickle Chick'n
12th-June-2006, 01:06 PM
Ugly
* Asking somebody to dance at around 5 o clock one morning and giving them an easy get out clause (i.e are you dancing or are you dead on your feet) which they duly took only for her to then take to the floor (albeit with an admittedly younger, fitter model) about 10 seconds later. I can't name names as I don't know hers but she was at the forum BBQ on Sat night.

I can name names for you as that was ickle ol' me!:blush:

I remeber it well as I was embarassed cos I really was dead on my feet and in great need of flip flips but just as I said I couldn't dance with you I think it was jammy who dragged me onto the floor not listening to my plees of mercy cos my poor feet were screaming! I can only apologise prefusely and ask for your forgiveness. :flower: In my defence I don't turn people down unless I really am struggling as I find it very difficult to ask people myself so don't think it's fair to do so if someones made the effort to ask me!So usually dance with anyone and everyone who approaches!

Were you in the follow me t-shirt too cos if that was you then I shall look out for you in September if I may, I did have a lovely dance or 2 with you in the blues room in the afternoon, as did my ickle sis who's first weekender it was so thanks from us both!:kiss: :kiss:

:flower:

jammy
12th-June-2006, 06:36 PM
I think it was jammy who dragged me onto the floor not listening to my plees of mercy cos my poor feet were screaming!
sorry it was me i draged u 2 dance with me in the main room because one of my fav songs was on

sorry rob

johnah
13th-June-2006, 01:48 PM
Hello Forumites,

We have been inundated with requests about booking for 01-04 June 2007 [half-term weekend again] and as we listen to you, we are pleased to announce that a booking form is now published on our website www.jiveaddiction.com

Hopefully, the sun will shine on us again, the dancing will be fabulous and much fun will be had by all. Oh yes, and we've invited a very special dance partnership to both teach and perform in cabaret for you. They are simply AWESOME but, more about them in due course! :cheers:

Paul F
13th-June-2006, 02:40 PM
They are simply AWESOME but, more about them in due course! :cheers:

Thats just begging for more random guesses :rolleyes: :)

June 2007! Im only just getting over booking for May in Scotland. Well done for getting the booking form available so soon though :worthy:

Donna
13th-June-2006, 02:45 PM
Thats just begging for more random guesses :rolleyes: :)

June 2007! Im only just getting over booking for May in Scotland. Well done for getting the booking form available so soon though :worthy:

Hmmm well this does sound very exciting! Guess I'll be booking for Feb & June now then! :clap: Can't do this Sept as out of the country for 3 weeks. Never been to Southport yet.. and I hear so many people going on about what a fab weekender it is.

Sheepman
13th-June-2006, 03:10 PM
I remeber it well as I was embarassed cos I really was dead on my feet and in great need of flip flips Is this some kind of prolonged air step, designed to keep the weight off your feet? :confused:

Greg

Ickle Chick'n
15th-June-2006, 01:13 PM
Is this some kind of prolonged air step, designed to keep the weight off your feet? :confused:

Greg
Lol, another example of not checkng posts properly...flip flops! (My confiest dancing shoes ever but sadly they're dying and can't seem to get any others trained up the same!)Sad ickle chick'n!:sad:

Dance Demon
15th-June-2006, 02:55 PM
Lol, another example of not checkng posts properly...flip flops! (My confiest dancing shoes ever but sadly they're dying and can't seem to get any others trained up the same!)Sad ickle chick'n!:sad:

i thought flip flips were for someone with two left feet:blush:

Sparkles
15th-June-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't like the sound of 'flop flops'... :sick:

Yliander
15th-June-2006, 03:09 PM
(My confiest dancing shoes ever but sadly they're dying and can't seem to get any others trained up the same!)I discovered how nice dancing in flip flops could be at Southport - although I think a fast-ish floor is a requirement - dancing in those part of the time kept me on my feet for hours more of dancing!

Ickle Chick'n
16th-June-2006, 12:03 AM
I discovered how nice dancing in flip flops could be at Southport - although I think a fast-ish floor is a requirement - dancing in those part of the time kept me on my feet for hours more of dancing!
:respect: a fellow flip flopper! Any floors ok, preferably smooth though, but moves that take you backwards have prooved a challenge, specially fast backward spins!!!

I'm waiting for the fancy flip flop section in all dance shoe shops and catalogues, reckon there's a hole in the market there!:rolleyes:

Lynn
16th-June-2006, 07:54 AM
Yilander and Ickle Chick'n :respect:

I didn't even attempt to dance in my flip flops.

Marc started dancing with me as I was leaving and wearing my flip flops but I just took them off and danced barefoot (not good for spinning, bare feet, too much grip!). If I remember rightly I also had an attempt at WCS with Ducasi on the decking on the way past, again just took the flip flops off.

If I was dancing in flip flops then I just know too much of my focus would be on keeping them on my feet and not enough on my partner and the music to make the dance enjoyable for me.:(

Graham
16th-June-2006, 08:33 AM
Gosh, this is a revelation. I've never asked someone wearing flip-flops for a dance, since I would have imagined them impossible to dance in.

mikeyr
16th-June-2006, 10:06 AM
Flip flops can be no hinderance to some more accomplished ladies. I had a very smooth dance with the ickle 1 (as ever:drool: ) at southport in the early hours of Monday. And last night at Bow I danced a funky one with the amazing Tazmanian Devil in flip flops:respect:

Ickle Chick'n
16th-June-2006, 12:38 PM
Gosh, this is a revelation. I've never asked someone wearing flip-flops for a dance, since I would have imagined them impossible to dance in.
:eek: that's predudice against flip flop wearerers!:angry:
:flower: lots of people look a bit:confused: and say... 'wot, in those?!' when I ask them to dance, as if you might not realise wot you have on your feet!

Just like the number of ladies, when I take me heels off to lead, that say "oooh, I'm worried now :eek: and wilL try not to stand on your toes" Hellloooo ladies you don't say that when Im in heels and they're open toed so no different! Anyhoo you shouldn't be trampling on guy's toes anyway, shoes or no shoes (though I realise it happens occasionally and apologies to guys for that, especially when I have pointy heels on!:whistle:).

Mr UP you are likely to prove a challenge to dance with in flip flops actually, anyone tested that out?:D

Ickle Chick'n
16th-June-2006, 12:43 PM
Flip flops can be no hinderance to some more accomplished ladies. I had a very smooth dance with the ickle 1 (as ever:drool: ) at southport in the early hours of Monday. And last night at Bow I danced a funky one with the amazing Tazmanian Devil in flip flops:respect:
Ow shucks....Thankyou chick'n!:blush:

:respect: Taz:flower:

Yliander
16th-June-2006, 01:04 PM
Mr UP you are likely to prove a challenge to dance with in flip flops actually, anyone tested that out?:Dbeen there done that - it was a lovely dance - I didn't find it any more of a challenge than normal as even in flip flops i dance on my toes/balls of my feet.

Franck & Paul F was the real challenge in flip flops!!

Ickle Chick'n
16th-June-2006, 02:55 PM
been there done that - it was a lovely dance - I didn't find it any more of a challenge than normal as even in flip flops i dance on my toes/balls of my feet.

Franck & Paul F was the real challenge in flip flops!!
Ditto, always on toes/balls of feet but figured being ickle the height may have been a challenge, :respect: for trying and thanks for the feedback! LOL :worthy:

I never managed to nab Franck and I chickened out of asking Paul F as my feet weren't always communicating with my brain by the time I got the opportunity to ask, Flip flops woulda bin the least of my worries!:eek:

johnah
16th-June-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, you saw Robert & Deborah at Southport a couple of weeks ago. Next up at Southport in September is the Awesome Benji Schwimmer. Then in February it's Kyle & Sarah. For June 2007 at Southport... acknowledged in the USA as the best male and female dancers none other than the welcome return of JORDAN FRISBEE & TATIANA MOLLMAN. Absolutely AWESOME and not to be missed!!! Bookings are now open at dancers request.

www.jiveaddiction.com