PDA

View Full Version : Wishing it would end ?

johnthehappyguy
1st-June-2006, 01:00 PM
.......Haven't you ever had one of those dances that you wish would just end! Imagine that for 7 minutes :what:

Have you similar experience and why ?

John:nice:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-June-2006, 01:01 PM

John:nice:My partner's halitosis.

Dizzy
1st-June-2006, 01:04 PM
Normally when I want a dance to end, it is nothing to do with my partner at the time but more due to me suffering utter physical exhaustion due to different reasons.

This especially happens when I have been dancing the whole night and then the DJ puts on quite a fast tune and a really good lead comes and asks to dance :blush: :D

TheTramp
1st-June-2006, 01:11 PM
Sure.

Cant' remember them though. And I'm too careful for that these days!

Was watching a young lady who ended up with a very jerky lead at the Edinburgh party last Saturday night though, when Rock Me came on.

Even though she was trying to hide it, you could see that she was just wishing for the song to end....

(Or maybe that was just the song choice! :whistle: )

Donna
1st-June-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes once.... I remember dancing with this extremely smelly and slimey fat ginger sweaty guy, who had a really puggy white T-shirt with his hairy ginger belly hanging out underneath, and braces. Urrrghh he was sooooo minging, I was hoping for an extremely short track (even gave the DJ some signals to show I wasn't enjoying it, of course he could see that, but think he was enjoying watching me suffer and decided to mix one track into the next:D :sick:) I said I didn't want to carry on as I was too tired (even though I took the next offer for a dance! :rofl: Hope he got the message! Anyway, I avoided him like the plague from then on. Never seen him since, thank goodness.

Northants Girly
1st-June-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes once.... I remember dancing with this extremely smelly and slimey fat ginger sweaty guy, who had a really puggy white T-shirt with his hairy ginger belly hanging out underneath, and braces. Urrrghh he was sooooo minging, I was hoping for an extremely short track (even gave the DJ some signals to show I wasn't enjoying it, of course he could see that, but think he was enjoying watching me suffer and decided to mix one track into the next:D :sick:) I said I didn't want to carry on as I was too tired (even though I took the next offer for a dance! :rofl: Hope he got the message! Anyway, I avoided him like the plague from then on. Never seen him since, thank goodness.and the problem with ginger is . . . . . . . ?

Donna
1st-June-2006, 01:39 PM
and the problem with ginger is . . . . . . . ?

ummm er.. um, er er er :D YOU KNOW, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH GINGER HAIR! In fact, depending on what shade it is, ginger hair can be very beautiful!

This guy had very dark ginger hair, plus it was long, looked singed and was sticking out in all directions. Honestly, Ken Dodds hair is much better!

senorita
1st-June-2006, 01:42 PM
ginger is . . . . . . . ?

the most beautiful people in the world!
Look at Nicole kidman, julia roberts...and of course your great self:flower: :hug:

Donna
1st-June-2006, 01:43 PM
and of course yourself :flower: :hug:

Ooooooops!:eek: Just my luck, that the first person to comment on that, has to be ginger! Had a look on profile, you have lovely ginger hair. :hug: Her avatar doesn't look very pleased either! :rofl:

TheTramp
1st-June-2006, 02:51 PM
Just my luck
I don't think that it was anything to do with your luck Donna.... :rolleyes:

LMC
1st-June-2006, 02:51 PM
Intermediate leads who are dancing to the beat in their head which, sadly, bears no resemblance to anything in the current track.

(Beginners are different, 'cos it's usually relatively easy to subtly 'knock' them back on beat at least every couple of bars if not more frequently by adjusting timing of turns/spins/steps :wink: - it's not so easy to do this with a stronger lead using longer/more complex moves)

Donna
1st-June-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't think that it was anything to do with your luck Donna.... :rolleyes:

so, what colour hair do you have steve? :rofl: :hug:

mrs_warwick
1st-June-2006, 03:23 PM
I was asked to dance by someone I had never seen before, so I had no idea what his standard was like. Based on that dance, the only move he knew was the first move. So that's what we did.
For 4 minutes.

Donna
1st-June-2006, 03:27 PM
I was asked to dance by someone I had never seen before, so I had no idea what his standard was like. Based on that dance, the only move he knew was the first move. So that's what we did.
For 4 minutes.

You poor thing!!! :rofl: At least that is more interesting than doing an armjive for 4 min! :rofl:

foxylady
1st-June-2006, 03:31 PM
For 4 minutes.

I had exactly the same experience at muswell hill a month ago - first move for the whole track, and the guy told me he had been dancing for 4 months..... at Finchley.... the same guy perhaps ????

TiggsTours
1st-June-2006, 03:43 PM
Things I'd really like to come to an end have to be:

The World Cup - hasn't even started and I've already seen enough!
Big Brother - need I say more! :sick:

firefly
1st-June-2006, 03:44 PM
I think I can top that. I danced with someone a while back who, for the whole track, all he did was step in and out, to a variable beat which seemed to be only in his head. I was reduced to alternating the foot I stepped back on to try and vary it a little. Although to be fair, he did lead a first move a couple of times.

I spoke to someone else later who had also danced with him, and apparently he's been dancing for six months!:eek: :what:

Donna
1st-June-2006, 03:52 PM
I think I can top that. I danced with someone a while back who, for the whole track, all he did was step in and out, to a variable beat which seemed to be only in his head. I was reduced to alternating the foot I stepped back on to try and vary it a little. Although to be fair, he did lead a first move a couple of times.

I spoke to someone else later who had also danced with him, and apparently he's been dancing for six months!:eek: :what:

6 MONTHS!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: You've got to be kiddin!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh my goodness!

I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing! :rofl:

TheTramp
1st-June-2006, 04:30 PM
6 MONTHS!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: You've got to be kiddin!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh my goodness!

I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing! :rofl:

Maybe there's a reason. Everyone learns at different speeds!

Maybe a little thought and/or tact before you hit the 'post' button would come in handy??

Donna
1st-June-2006, 04:34 PM
Maybe there's a reason. Everyone learns at different speeds!

Maybe a little thought and/or tact before you hit the 'post' button would come in handy??

.... soz :blush:

firefly
1st-June-2006, 04:38 PM
You're right of course Tramp. There could have been any number of reasons why he danced like that. I did make a point of smiling at him a few times during the dance, and anyway he seemed to be enjoying himself. And I probably would dance with him again if he asked me, although if I'm honest I probably wouldn't seek him out to dance with.

MartinHarper
1st-June-2006, 04:46 PM
I danced with someone a while back who, for the whole track, all he did was step in and out...

This is what happens when someone convinces a lead that it doesn't matter how many moves he knows. Relatively rare.

I was reduced to alternating the foot I stepped back on to try and vary it a little.

This is what happens when someone convinces a follow that it doesn't matter how many variations/stylings/etc she knows. All too common.

Baruch
1st-June-2006, 04:54 PM
This especially happens when I have been dancing the whole night and then the DJ puts on quite a fast tune
Yeah - I can relate. Why is it that if a fast tune comes on near the end of the night when I'm totally knackered, someone nearly always asks me to dance?

Maybe I should make myself a placard saying "no fast dances" to be hung over my neck after 11pm. :D

firefly
1st-June-2006, 04:55 PM
This is what happens when someone convinces a follow that it doesn't matter how many variations/stylings/etc she knows. All too common.

Not sure I follow MH. I'm speaking from a beginner's perspective here, and considering my dance partner had hold of both my hands for most of the track during the in-and-out, apart from a few wiggles I wasn't sure what else I could incorporate. Would appreciate if you could expand a bit :nice: :flower:

Georgious dancer
1st-June-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah I would certainly be careful about what you post and not to jump to conclusions about people! I may have posted this elsewhere but I think it illustrates my point.

There is a man at one of my local venues, who I use to think was not the greatest dancer but as far as I was aware has been dancing for quite a while and I admit to thinking to myself, how comes he hasn't got any better! One day I was chatting with one of the ladies who he usually sits with and we started talking about why we started dancing, it turned out that he had started dancing because he had had an illness that had affected his co-ordination and memory and it had been suggested by a physio that he try some form of dance. When you think that some people who are perfectly fit worry about coming to a dance venue, you have to take your hat off to this man. Anyway since then whenever I see said gentleman I make sure I dance with him, and the other day just as we finished dancing he said to me 'you are one of my favourite people to dance with, you always smile when we dance even though I'm not as good as you and you're friends'.

So now when I feel myself starting to think I wish it would end I think about the above and enjoy the dance!

Lory
1st-June-2006, 05:10 PM
I was asked to dance at Ashtons once by this young guy, sadly it wasn't apparent until we started dancing, that he was very drunk and had just wondered in off the street. He was completely unfazed (sp?) by the fact everyone else around him seemed somewhat skilled at partner dancing, as his intention was to just 'hold me' and shuffle around a bit :sick: :( :sick:

firefly
1st-June-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah I would certainly be careful about what you post and not to jump to conclusions about people! I may have posted this elsewhere but I think it illustrates my point.

There is a man at one of my local venues, who I use to think was not the greatest dancer but as far as I was aware has been dancing for quite a while and I admit to thinking to myself, how comes he hasn't got any better! One day I was chatting with one of the ladies who he usually sits with and we started talking about why we started dancing, it turned out that he had started dancing because he had had an illness that had affected his co-ordination and memory and it had been suggested by a physio that he try some form of dance. When you think that some people who are perfectly fit worry about coming to a dance venue, you have to take your hat off to this man. Anyway since then whenever I see said gentleman I make sure I dance with him, and the other day just as we finished dancing he said to me 'you are one of my favourite people to dance with, you always smile when we dance even though I'm not as good as you and you're friends'.

So now when I feel myself starting to think I wish it would end I think about the above and enjoy the dance!

:yeah: :respect: I think that's a really good point. I do try and accept people for what they are, whether it's at dancing or otherwise, and not judge them, because I don't know anything about them. The way I see it, everyone is there to enjoy themselves so who am i to interfere with that enjoyment. And hopefully for that 3/4 minutes they enjoy dancing with me too.

Maybe this wasn't the right thread to post that story on. Or maybe the title of the thread could be changed to something else?:flower:

Lynn
1st-June-2006, 07:24 PM
Based on that dance, the only move he knew was the first move. So that's what we did.
For 4 minutes.I wouldn't have a problem with that (honestly, this isn't just be trying to be a good little taxi!) - providing that he was enjoying doing the first move. Why would I be wanting the dance to end when my partner was clearly enjoying dancing with me? (I remember a guy asking me up for a salsa dance once and just doing the basic forward and back step for the entire track. I eventually started 'helping' him turn me occasionally, which he thought was fab. OK it wasn't an exciting dance for me, but I had seen him sit there all night, he finally had asked someone up for a dance and was clearly having so much fun, I haven't forgotten that dance.)

The only time, aside from sheer exhaustion, when I would want a dance to end is if dancing with someone who was making me feel uncomfortable.

Caro
1st-June-2006, 11:19 PM

You're right of course Tramp. There could have been any number of reasons why he danced like that. I did make a point of smiling at him a few times during the dance, and anyway he seemed to be enjoying himself. And I probably would dance with him again if he asked me, although if I'm honest I probably wouldn't seek him out to dance with.

I think I know who you are refering to and I have danced with him too. He seems to be trying hard so like you I do try my best to encourage him and smile during the dance. :flower:
I think he's able to hear the beat and dance the first move in time, but when he goes to the in and out - sometimes for more than a full minute - he gets out of time everytime! I'm torn between following what he leads or trying to put him back in time... I used to think that the in and out was a perfect move to get back in the beat but I have changed my mind since. (a walk seems like a better idea now).

Although I do not enjoy the dance, I'm happy to accept one dance and try and help him out. But last time I did refuse him the third dance in the same evening - pretexted I was really tired, which wasn't much of lie. Did feel bad though. :sick: :blush:

Ghost
1st-June-2006, 11:37 PM
"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -
-- Hebrews 13:2, The Bible

The only dance I wanted to end I started a thread about - which helped me to figure out what I was doing wrong and now I love dancing with her, um I mean them. :clap:

Dance in beauty,
Christopher

Petal
2nd-June-2006, 09:51 AM

John:nice:

When you do my favourite move:rolleyes: and then laugh because you know how much i dislike it.

Only kidding.:na:

senorita
2nd-June-2006, 11:04 AM
as his intention was to just 'hold me' and shuffle around a bit :sick: :( :sick:

sorry but....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(well you are drop dead gorgeous!)

marty_baby
2nd-June-2006, 11:25 AM

Here here! :hug:

I think this is a perfect post onto this thread.... bit of perspective....

4 mins of your life on a dance night... to make someone else's week - is probably the one of the nicest/easiest good deeds you can do dancewise.... As long as he/she doesn't phyically damage you with yanked arms etc.... hell just roll with it....

Think of those admazing dances you have had the fortune to have with the top dancers in the country..... how they made your night... How you can fondly look back at the dances in weeks to come....

This is probably how those "beginner standard" dancers think of you, you know!

Martin x

Trish
2nd-June-2006, 12:10 PM
I have had some dances with guys that only seem to know a very few moves, and agree that it's fine if they're enthusiastic and willing to learn and trying to perfect what they're doing.

The only dance when I remember thinking I wish it would end was to one of my favourite blusey songs, with a guy who was totally drunk, off beat, and unco-ordinated. I surprised myself by getting in a right mood, dropping his hands and stomping off the dancefloor (something I've never done before).

I found out about 3 days later that I was pregnant :blush: - so I guess that explains that one! Hope I didn't hurt his feelings too much :sad: :flower: , but to be honest he didn't seem sober enough to notice!

pmjd
3rd-June-2006, 02:19 AM
Can't really think of anytimes that I've been hoping for a dance to end, aside from when dehydration is about to kick in:D , but often think my partner might be, especially if I've missed the class or been away from dancing for a week or more and it takes a couple of dances for me to "warm up" and remember the moves I know, I get stuck in a bit of a repetitive loop of only a few moves until then:blush:.

The problem I have most often have is when the song I think I know is coming to an end, mentally getting ready for a finishing move only to find the music keeps going and it turns out to be the super douper extended version and I'm not sure when it will end:confused:

Your wife
5th-June-2006, 01:54 PM
Intermediate leads who are dancing to the beat in their head which, sadly, bears no resemblance to anything in the current track.

:rofl:

Oh Yes I love them! We complain about this all the time. Also people who have just been to a ceroc class in their head - unfortunately as it was in their head - I missed it.

doc martin
5th-June-2006, 08:19 PM
I found out about 3 days later that I was pregnant :blush: Now that's what I call an intimate blues dance.5609

PS. Congratulations (although I suspect I might be a little late)