PDA

View Full Version : Too many weekenders?

tiger
30th-May-2006, 07:07 PM
Another poll,sorry.

Not too long ago there just 2 or 3 weekenders per year.

Now there are loads,i dont know how many( and no doubt somebody does!) but probably too many.

Vote,vote,vote

Minnie M
30th-May-2006, 07:11 PM
Another poll,sorry.

Not too long ago there just 2 or 3 weekenders per year.

Now there are loads,i dont know how many( and no doubt somebody does!) but probabley too many.

Vote,vote,vote
:yeah:
so true !

I was seriously thinking of my 'advance' weekender thingy - but DEFINITELY not doing it now, no point - plus I will loose lots of money as well as wasting lots more time :rolleyes:

Most weekenders use 2 work holiday days and with only 20 in total to use, that is 10 weekenders and no REAL "in-the-sun" or "get-away-from-it-all" time holiday :sad:

what am I saying - 10 weekenders that's one nearly every month :eek:

LMC
30th-May-2006, 08:47 PM
Not until Little Miss Commitmentphobe can "afford" to book the week before instead of having to plan a year in advance. Bring 'em on.

Heather
30th-May-2006, 08:55 PM
so true !

I was seriously thinking of my 'advance' weekender thingy - but DEFINITELY not doing it now, no point - plus I will loose lots of money as well as wasting lots more time :rolleyes:

Most weekenders use 2 work holiday days and with only 20 in total to use, that is 10 weekenders and no REAL "in-the-sun" or "get-away-from-it-all" time holiday :sad:

what am I saying - 10 weekenders that's one nearly every month :eek:

Just discussing this very topic with a couple of friends the other day!!
Personally I need my " in the sun " "get away from it all holiday", much as I love dancing. As for too many weekenders, there probably are too many now, if you feel compelled to go to them all, I doubt if people could afford the time or cash needed to go on them all and so would have to be more selective in deciding which ones they will support.
I think I would much prefer to do what you did Minnie, and plan a long weekend/holiday in the USA at some WCS convention such as you did in Boston.
Although I enjoyed my Southport experience,it was rather too crowded for my liking, and the classes were so busy you could hardly catch a glimpse of the teachers, so the holiday camp idea, with the very basic, sometimes dirty chalet accommodation, does not rock my boat.
I like my comfort, so a weekender in a 3/4*hotel , with smaller numbers, nice meals laid on, more intimate atmosphere, is where I would spend my hard earned cash.
I'm looking forward to my summer holiday in Australia this year- I'm staying with David Chu and he has promised to take me dancing every night in Melbourne.
:hug:
Heather

Minnie M
30th-May-2006, 09:04 PM
...........I'm looking forward to my summer holiday in Australia this year- I'm staying with David Chu and he has promised to take me dancing every night in Melbourne..........
wow ! sounds fantastic :yeah: quite jealous

Mind you, with all our Oz cousins maybe we chould do an exchange weekend :flower:

BTW Boston was really fab........... maybe I can get a crowd from the forum to join me next year - if not Boston to possibly another US dance weekend. Personally the Boston Tea Party in March is possibly one of the cheapest for the event and the air fair

ducasi
30th-May-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't see the problem with more weekenders – you don't have to go to them all – you don't even need to go to any.

So maybe the dancers will be spread thinner across weekenders... I don't know, but I don't think I'll be able to dance with all ~700+ women who'll be at Southport this weekend. Even if it were half the size, I'm sure it'd still be worth going to.

I think the UK can easily sustain a fairly large weekender every month of the year – and the extra choice is good for us all.

Some events will be more popular than others – if you can only do one weekend a year, I'd expect an event like Southport will always be a likely choice.

TheTramp
31st-May-2006, 12:11 AM
:yeah: Indeed.

The more weekenders, the more choice, and (hopefully), the more raising of the bar by the organisers in order to persuade you to go to their events.

As Ducasi said, no-one is forcing anyone to attend, so the more the better I think. Though, the organisers themselves might not agree :rolleyes:

spikey blond
31st-May-2006, 10:02 PM
wow ! sounds fantastic :yeah: quite jealous

Mind you, with all our Oz cousins maybe we chould do an exchange weekend :flower:

BTW Boston was really fab........... maybe I can get a crowd from the forum to join me next year - if not Boston to possibly another US dance weekend. Personally the Boston Tea Party in March is possibly one of the cheapest for the event and the air fair

Sounds like a wicked idea :clap: :clap: - just been looking on the USA Champs site in Atlanta and the Liberty Swing site and it all looks extremely civilised!! Certainly very tempting if somewhat expensive for a weekend but it would be good to have a little more luxury once in a while - the Americans know how to do it in style, not a plasterboard apartment in sight!!.

I would certainly be game for a weekend in the USA next year (finances permitting) and the prospect of a WCS weekend even better.:clap: :clap: Keep me informed if you decide to organise something!:flower:

Minnie M
1st-June-2006, 06:07 PM
.......I would certainly be game for a weekend in the USA next year (finances permitting) and the prospect of a WCS weekend even better.:clap: :clap: Keep me informed if you decide to organise something!:flower:
:clap:
The hotel was a Shereton and there were 1,200 dancers (it was Lindy/WCS mixture - which added to the atmospher) the room was fabby fab and cost 85$ (not per person) you could sleep three in there as it was massive - with a large on-suite bathroom/shower etc. And the fare was approx. £250 (cheap because of the time of year) and the weekend itself was 109$ starting on the Thursday eve and finishing on Sunday pm - the weekend is full of workshops, dancing till 5am etc., and a full blown competition with the top dancers in the world (yes the world)

Why can't we do the same thing over here :sad: Rock Bottoms are the nearest to it, but their content is nothing like it

fletch
2nd-June-2006, 05:09 AM
:clap:
The hotel was a Shereton and there were 1,200 dancers (it was Lindy/WCS mixture - which added to the atmospher) the room was fabby fab and cost 85$ (not per person) you could sleep three in there as it was massive - with a large on-suite bathroom/shower etc. And the fare was approx. £250 (cheap because of the time of year) and the weekend itself was 109$ starting on the Thursday eve and finishing on Sunday pm - the weekend is full of workshops, dancing till 5am etc., and a full blown competition with the top dancers in the world (yes the world)

Why can't we do the same thing over here :sad: Rock Bottoms are the nearest to it, but their content is nothing like it

I would be up for this:clap:

If I could sort child care:cheers:

Piglet
5th-June-2006, 08:42 AM
Where's the option "I've never ever been to a weekender" (I don't count the Beach Ballroom one cos that's home :D or the BFG cos I imagine the weekender's being spoken about are much bigger - I'm sure someone will sort me out if I'm wrong).

Got to say thanks to Heather for making my day re:

Although I enjoyed my Southport experience,it was rather too crowded for my liking, and the classes were so busy you could hardly catch a glimpse of the teachers ... does not rock my boat.

I've never been to Southport - hope to make it one day. But the above comment certainly makes me think I'm maybe happier at home cos busy ain't fun unless the dance floor is huge enough to cope.

David Bailey
5th-June-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't see the problem with more weekenders – you don't have to go to them all – you don't even need to go to any..
Absolutely - it's like asking "Are there too many MJ dance classes in the UK?" or "Is there too much partner dancing on the TV?"

I'm not even sure if the question makes much sense - what does "too many" mean?

"Too many for me to go to?"
"Too many because the Island of Britain will sink because of the rhythmic jumping around?"

More MJ partner dancing is a Good Thing - OK, there may be less chance to see old friends, and dance with regular partners, but surely that's counterbalanced by the chance to make new ones*, and dance with new people? Or am I missing something here?

Until someone spells out the downside, I don't see what the problem is...

* Obviously, I speak about other people here, I'm far too anti-social to, you know, actually talk to people.

P.S. Yes, I know how I voted. Hey, if you want consistency, go and do Ceroc or something - this is a Tango forum, remember?

Lynn
17th-June-2006, 12:33 PM
I've been thinking about this increase in number of weekenders. We currently have a situation where every big weekender is sold out or almost sold out. But now the number of weekenders available in late 2006 early 2007 has increased by a lot*, I can foresee some weekenders not selling as well.

For the punters this could be a good thing. Organisers will have to drop their price, improve their product etc. But even at that, there are only so many weekenders people can go on a year, as Minnie says, its not just the cost, its leave allowance. So there will need to be lots of 'new' weekender dancers' to fill all the spaces. And just as weekenders do well because they are so good everyone wants to go to them, if numbers start to drop people will think no-one wants to go to a particular one and therefore will not book...

Maybe its just me, perhaps my 'doing lots of weekenders' phase is waning. I didn't get the same kick out of dancing til dawn at Southport as I used to. (I still had a great weekend, but it was a combination of other factors).

I'm going to be much more selective in which weekenders I go to.

*I.e. I can't be bothered looking up the list of all the extra Ceroc weekenders and working out how many extra...Its Saturday lunchtime, I'm feeling lazy.

ducasi
18th-June-2006, 10:41 PM
Saw on a Ceroc flyer last night two more weekenders!

First... Swish – can't remember where or when (sorry!)

Then next November 2007 – Splash in Blackpool. :)

Hope I've got these details right! :o

Lynn
19th-June-2006, 08:24 AM
First... Swish – can't remember where or when (sorry!) Ah, that's the 'posh' one, yes?

Then next November 2007 – Splash in Blackpool. :) And I think that's now reached the 'one too many' threshold for me.

Might continue to do Storm as I quite like Camber (and its gender balanced properly) and Blaze as its lovely to go up to Scotland (plus I'm already booked on both of those!), but I can only do so many weekenders per year so think I'll stick with Southport.

David Bailey
19th-June-2006, 08:39 PM
Saw on a Ceroc flyer last night two more weekenders!

First... Swish – can't remember where or when (sorry!)

Then next November 2007 – Splash in Blackpool. :)

Hope I've got these details right! :o
Oooh, I've got a "name" idea - "Smash" :)
Or "Squash"?
"Splosh"?
"Bish Bash Bosh"? :innocent:

ducasi
19th-June-2006, 09:37 PM
Oooh, I've got a "name" idea - "Smash" :)
Or "Squash"?
"Splosh"?
"Bish Bash Bosh"? :innocent:
I think you should get your trademark applications in a.s.a.p before Ceroc steal your ideas!

Lynn
19th-June-2006, 10:56 PM
So that is now (correct me if I'm wrong) - Breeze, Blaze, Bliss, Swish, Splash, Storm and Chill - all Ceroc weekenders between Sep 06 and Nov 07? (That's not including the possiblity that Bliss and Breeze might run again in Sep and Oct 07) And of course, given the current form of announcing new ones every few weeks or so, there might be even more...

spindr
19th-June-2006, 11:32 PM
Oooh, I've got a "name" idea
I think you're wrong, it's actually:
"Swish"
"Splash"
"I was taking a bath" :)

SpinDr

Georgious dancer
20th-June-2006, 09:12 PM
I think you're wrong, it's actually:
"Swish"
"Splash"
"I was taking a bath" :)

SpinDr

Sorry but I think you will find the lyrics you are actually looking for are

Splish splash, I was taking a bath
Long about a Saturday night
A rub dub, just relaxing in the tub
Thinking everything was alright

ducasi
21st-June-2006, 12:10 AM
Sorry to interrupt the bathing...

Swish is in "Potters", in Suffolk in February 2007. It's "luxury", and the prices from £169 reflect this.

Splash is in the Winter Gardens and Tower Ballroom in Blackpool, November 2007. Accommodation is not included.

Lynn
21st-June-2006, 11:02 PM
*I.e. I can't be bothered looking up the list of all the extra Ceroc weekenders and working out how many extra...Its Saturday lunchtime, I'm feeling lazy.Now I've seen the flier (and Breeze is running again Oct 07) - that's 8 weekenders Ceroc are planning between Sep 06 and Nov 07 with over 11,000 spaces to sell. That's a lot of extra weekender places to fill.

With that many extra, will every 'big' weekender continue to sell out (or almost sell out) in 2007? Will any cease to be economically viable (I have no idea the profit margins on these events)? Or will several thousand new dancers start going to weekenders and the market steadily increase?

fletch
28th-September-2006, 07:28 PM
There is ....no just right ......in the poll

:(

stewart38
28th-September-2006, 07:37 PM
Now I've seen the flier (and Breeze is running again Oct 07) - that's 8 weekenders Ceroc are planning between Sep 06 and Nov 07 with over 11,000 spaces to sell. That's a lot of extra weekender places to fill.

With that many extra, will every 'big' weekender continue to sell out (or almost sell out) in 2007? Will any cease to be economically viable (I have no idea the profit margins on these events)? Or will several thousand new dancers start going to weekenders and the market steadily increase?

I think all the gimmicks that ceroc has wont last the course ie book now pay £29 book then pay £109 type stuff. its a them and us situation

Im leaning towards francos method of booking amd payment

I resent having to pay 100% upfront for something months in advance. perhaps 20% non refundable deposit

I dont think many will suffer in 2007 as most are new but 2008 will be interesting when the herd mentaility has died down a bit

fletch
28th-September-2006, 07:39 PM
I dont think many will suffer in 2007 as most are new but 2008 will be interesting when the herd mentaility has died down a bit

or we have found the love of our lives and sitting on the sofa with a take-away :D

Paul F
28th-September-2006, 09:07 PM

Interesting point.
At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. Lets face it there was more than 80 people (ok, based only on the forum) that responded positively to the attendance question.

Given that the location and the venue is so fitting in Southport i.e. half way down the UK, great blues room and so on I cant see any reason why this trend won't continue.

Ceroc will probably be able to generate good attendences at their weekenders due to their marketing clout but I doubt they will all be consistently full.

Im wondering if Ceroc need a 'flagship' event of their own. An event that stands out above the others. Their weekends are already very well put together but will they ever outshine Southport? Should they even bother trying? Im not sure.
The ceroc weekenders already have a few nice touches, however tacky some may see them e.g. films, bingo :) , video clinics etc. However, would a Ceroc weekender ever become as popular as the Southport ones?

The only reason I am saying all this is because the competition element often benefits the dancers :whistle:

David Bailey
28th-September-2006, 10:31 PM
Ooh, glad this has floated up again...

Now I've seen the flier (and Breeze is running again Oct 07) - that's 8 weekenders Ceroc are planning between Sep 06 and Nov 07 with over 11,000 spaces to sell. That's a lot of extra weekender places to fill.
Based on Ceroc's own figures, there are about 60K "regular ceroc dancers" (presumably in the UK. though that isn't clear).

So, one presumes a potential market of at least 60K attendees, even if every regular dancer only went on 1 weekender a year. So 11K places sounds like a lot, but I think there's still a lot of scope for expansion.

I think the weekender marketplace has changed a lot in the past year, and for the better - the other two big venue operators (Franco and Jive addiction) have both responded to the competition by raising their game, in terms of quantity and quality.

So far, it's a win-win proposition for the punters.

Whitebeard
28th-September-2006, 10:33 PM
or we have found the love of our lives and sitting on the sofa with a take-away :D

Sorry Fletch, that just about sums up what's gone wrong with our culture.

stewart38
28th-September-2006, 11:55 PM

Sorry Fletch, that just about sums up what's gone wrong with our culture.

So you saying we should be eating a curry with the love of our lifes before we hit the blues room :sick: . Explain please

stewart38
28th-September-2006, 11:59 PM
Interesting point.
At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. Lets face it there was more than 80 people (ok, based only on the forum) that responded positively to the attendance question.

Im not talking about 'herd' mentaility re forum or even generally

Just new venues will attract a crowd who will try it out and say na not for me and after a while people will settle down to maybe 2 or 3 weekenders a year , who knows ?

Lynn
29th-September-2006, 12:05 AM
So far, it's a win-win proposition for the punters.Definitely. With the low priced Ceroc events I can afford to go on a weekender, including flight costs, for a very affordable price. Whether this will continue I'm not sure.

But I'm going to get more selective as of 2007 - hang on, I've already got 4 booked(!) - anyway, I'm going to get even more selective as of 2008...

Dynamo
29th-September-2006, 02:11 AM
But I'm going to get more selective as of 2007 - hang on, I've already got 4 booked(!) - anyway, I'm going to get even more selective as of 2008...

:yeah: doing 9 this year, keep on seeing you Lynn :D so i must restrain too. :rolleyes:

.. people will settle down to maybe 2 or 3 weekenders a year , who knows ?

:yeah: well ok for me 9, but now there are too many to do all, what other life!!

Interesting point.
At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. ..

Given that the location and the venue is so fitting in Southport i.e. half way down the UK, great blues room and so on I cant see any reason why this trend won't continue.

Ceroc ..doubt they will all be consistently full.

Im wondering if Ceroc .. will they ever outshine Southport? Should they even bother trying? Im not sure.
The ceroc weekenders already have a few nice touches..would a Ceroc weekender ever become as popular as the Southport ones?

The only reason I am saying all this is because the competition element often benefits the dancers :whistle:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: So Agree Paul F, I Like Southport :D and also Franco's offerings :D . Also, the People who know how to dance then get to learn about these weekends :nice: .
The Ceroc venues and wider cast net, over all experience levels, will leave them a close second in many eyes.

Dont get me wrong this is my 2nd Ceroc weekender and I plan many more :grin:

Never eliteism :angry: , just slightly less taxi dancing on the favourite holiday.:nice: as we all learn each day.

fletch
29th-September-2006, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Dynamo;285821]:
:yeah: well ok for me 9, but now there are too many to do all, what other life!!

[QUOTE]

I have lost count for me this year :confused: I need to look in my Diary I think its 12 and also Beach Boggie :clap:

I will miss this weekend :tears:

But have next to lookforward to :clap:

I like having the choise also I feel my dancing does move on at a weekender. :flower:

stewart38
29th-September-2006, 09:36 AM
:

The Ceroc venues and wider cast net, over all experience levels, will leave them a close second in many eyes.

Dont get me wrong this is my 2nd Ceroc weekender and I plan many more :grin:

Never eliteism :angry: , just slightly less taxi dancing on the favourite holiday.:nice: as we all learn each day.

Ive saw no evidence of less expereince dancers at Ceroc Camber in March against Southport . maybe this will happen

sidney
29th-September-2006, 10:15 AM
I myself don't mind the increase in weekenders as it can benefit the punters, but I myself select about three per year now as I like my confort and sun so I rather save my money and holiday time, and go on the dance holidays. I have been abroad on John and Wes's holidays and for me they are worth it in terms of money and value then going on ex amount of weekends to those holiday camps. I can do it in the summer at Southport but I remember doing it a couple of times in the winter a couple of years ago and I hated it apart from the Bogner one as that is Butlins and the appartments are much better, why can't use we the one at Skegness in the winter instead of Southport pontin's or is there a reason? I am myself am looking forward to the Gran Canaries in Dec, and if it as good as the Spain holidays I will be well made up.:grin:

TheTramp
29th-September-2006, 10:27 AM
I can do it in the summer at Southport but I remember doing it a couple of times in the winter a couple of years ago and I hated it

Southport weekends in the winter? I must have missed that. Until next year, they've only been in June and September. And the weather in September has generally been pretty good on 2 of the 3 occasions they've had them so far as I recall...

Of course, next year, there's February too. I'll still be going. Hardly ever see the inside of the chalet anyhow. Will probably not be dancing on the decking. But apart from that, I'm sure it'll be as fantastic as always...

sidney
29th-September-2006, 10:34 AM
I meant Camber is where I went in the winter, and thats why I just stick with Southport like you say the weather is still good in Sept.:nice:

TheTramp
29th-September-2006, 10:47 AM
Ah, it becomes clearer now.

Though, I always preferred the Camber in November. It wasn't so hot in the halls then. Can be pretty unbearable if it's a hot day, with very little ventilation.

That's why the blues room at Southport is always fantastic. Maybe they could knock down one of the walls at Camber.... :D

sidney
29th-September-2006, 10:51 AM
I do like the blues room at Camber as it is dark and you can hide if you get a bad dancer where at Southport it is agony when that happens and the good dancers make a quick exit when they see you coming towards them after that BAD dance:D

Lynn
29th-September-2006, 11:10 AM
doing 9 this year, keep on seeing you Lynn :D so i must restrain too. :rolleyes: What, from seeing me? :rofl:

This year I have already been on 5, plus a weeks dance holiday, and going to Breeze next weekend. But I have gone for variety - the hotel break one (Scarborough), Southport (twice) and two budget Ceroc ones.

I didn't get to come over to Scotland this year. :( But booked for Blaze neat year!:D

stewart38
29th-September-2006, 12:00 PM
Stupid quote of the day

Tell you manager you usally dance till 5 or 6am at weeknders but haven’t decided if you need a ‘holiday’ for the Monday or will just come to work

Comment is ‘wouldn’t you be tired on Monday if you did that ?’

Response ‘oh’ id leave on Sunday afternoon :blush:

Weekenders and work don’t go together and don’t mention to your manager you plan to catch up on sleep at work :whistle:

Dynamo
29th-September-2006, 12:19 PM
What, from seeing me? :rofl:

:na: Tis always a pleasure to chat and dance with you. :grin:
You do realise your recomendation is the reason this forum is now blighted by my sense of humour :wink: :rofl:

This year I have already been on 5, plus a weeks dance holiday, and going to Breeze next weekend. But I have gone for variety - the hotel break one (Scarborough), Southport (twice) and two budget Ceroc ones.

I didn't get to come over to Scotland this year. :( But booked for Blaze neat year!:D

:yeah: Variety is the key, you are so right.

I do the Franco :D , John&Wes :D and Ceroc :D ones like you, plus Warmwell :D

Warmwell has nice log cabins :D with plenty of parking beside :D and a different social circle of Jivers and Rock n Rollers. :D

Rock Bottoms I had immense fun at :D , but never found the time to go back.:sad:

So many others, i just have to let them slip through my net. :sad:

marty_baby
29th-September-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd have to say - on thinking about it.... its actually a good thing having so many weekenders.

It gives the punters more choice of dates, more chance of booking their slots, and most importantly more chance of actually going on one!

Ceroc pushing weekenders can be seen as good in this respect. I was cajoled, press ganged, man handled and all sorts by the girls at our Ceroc class to go to Breeze. (Something about gender balancing I believe - rather an me in particular - any bloke would do! :rofl: ) I had my misgivings... booked up anyways - as part of the "herd"....

However, 1 week away, I'm now really looking forward to it! I would not have booked up otherwise - so it can't be a bad thing :na:

Dynamo
29th-September-2006, 12:33 PM
:blush: Ooops sory guys cut n paste to wrong thread :blush:

Lynn
29th-September-2006, 12:52 PM
:na: Tis always a pleasure to chat and dance with you. :grin:
You do realise your recomendation is the reason this forum is now blighted by my sense of humour :wink: :rofl: What have I done? :what: :hug:

It gives the punters more choice of dates, more chance of booking their slots, and most importantly more chance of actually going on one!Yep, I don't feel that I'm 'missing out' if I miss a weekender because I know there will be another one soon that I can go to.

I wasn't happy with the flood of Ceroc weekenders at first as I was worried there would be too many, that all the weekenders over a year wouldn't all be filled and that eventually some weekenders might cease to be economically viable, leading to a reduction in the number of weekenders in, say 3 years time. If this happened, and Ceroc ended up being the ones running most the available weekenders (with a similar product at each), our choices could become more limited. But I don't now think that will happen.:D