PDA

View Full Version : Men dancing with men

Dance Demon
28th-May-2006, 07:31 PM
I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.I have been known on the odd occasion to indulge in this myself, but i often wonder how the ladies feel about it. Especially on a night where there are quite a lot of spare women who don't get many dances. I wonder how they feel if a guy never asks them to dance, but is willing to dance with another guy. Just curious;)

Minnie M
28th-May-2006, 07:36 PM
If guys want to 'follow' they can still ask women :really: there are some really fantastic female leads :worthy: (eg: Lisa, Tiggerbabe, TazDev, Sparkles, Tesslish, Cruella etc etc) :respect:

Tessalicious
28th-May-2006, 08:00 PM
:blush: Thanks Minnie - but I have to say, for a lot of guys learning to follow, I think it must be much easier when dancing with another man.

Another guy is more likely to be strong enough to control a male follow, and/or tall enough to turn them without getting into serious difficulty. I'm reasonably short, and not particularly strong, so I have difficulty leading even the more experienced male follows if they are much taller than me, because their centres of gravity are not where I expect them to be, and they move differently too! I hasten to add I'm not mentioning any names, on the grounds that I might be in deep trouble.

Also, and I'm not sure if I can explain this properly, but just as I have trouble getting into the right mindset to lead a guy, because he ought to be leading me, a guy could potentially have the same problem (dancing with a woman = leading), where dancing with another guy is unusual enough that following doesn't make it much more strange! I'm sure MsFab and Cruella, as another pair of very submissive follower-leads, will be able to back me up on the difficulty of persuading ourselves to lead men :whistle: .

Having said all that, I'm more than willing to dance with any guys that want to follow, because it can be great fun. Two guys I know that often ask me for a dance 'the wrong way round' are Captain Fantastic and Mr Darcy, and they are both great fun to lead, because they always get this wide-eyed excited look when they are led for the first time in a move that they would normally lead themselves, but never knew how cool it felt from the lady's point of view. :respect: to those two.

EDIT: In answer to the original question (:rolleyes: sorry), yes I think there are ladies that are bothered by men dancing together, particularly when there are lots of extra ladies, but it isn't too much of a problem as long as they don't monopolise each other :what:. On the other hand, guys seem to have no objection to ladies dancing together even when there are more guys to go around - can't imagine why.

fletch
28th-May-2006, 08:13 PM
I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.I have been known on the odd occasion to indulge in this myself, but i often wonder how the ladies feel about it. Especially on a night where there are quite a lot of spare women who don't get many dances. I wonder how they feel if a guy never asks them to dance, but is willing to dance with another guy. Just curious;)

Personally I have no problem with it, you pay's your money and takes your chose, live and let live.:flower:

I have started to ask ladies who lead to dance, who I don't know and haven't danced with before, but I have observed them leading.:worthy:

Bubbalou
28th-May-2006, 10:50 PM
It won't be long before Ceroc start a category for this at the Champs??

Or reverse leaders/followers..........would like to see Taz and Craig compete that one!

Lou xx:kiss: :kiss:

ducasi
28th-May-2006, 11:23 PM
I have to say, for a lot of guys learning to follow, I think it must be much easier when dancing with another man.After having a few goes back last year I've given up following... But when I did, I preferred to follow a woman. Perhaps for two reasons...

1) I prefer dancing with women.
2) I figure they're leading is going to be more sympathetic to a beginner follower.

I have followed and lead some guys, but having now "been there, done that", I'll stick to dancing with women for now... :)

Piglet
28th-May-2006, 11:32 PM
Personally I have no problem with it, you pay's your money and takes your chose, live and let live.:flower:
:yeah: I've got to agree that it doesn't bother me seeing 2 guys dancing together. It's not like they don't dance with the women during the evening too, often I'm lucky enough to be asked for a dance by at least one of the men, but even if I weren't I really enjoy watching them as they usually have lots of fun doing it and most of us have lots of fun just watching them.

In fact, it's a bit of a pain to be up dancing and hear the folk sitting down causing a commotion because they've just watched something funny or awesome and I haven't been able to enjoy what they did - I somehow feel I've missed out somehow. (Mind you, this has got to be said about any 2 excellent dancers being together and getting ooohs and aaaahs and a round of applause from the sitter-outers).

Gadget
29th-May-2006, 01:16 AM
I've witnessed at a party night where four of the best (male) leads have danced in a 'quadruple-trouble'. There was a shortage of leads, but it was only one track... and it freed up lots of space on the dance floor for me :D:devil:

If I were a follower, I would perhaps be mildly annoyed, especially if there were a 'shortage', but it really dosn't bother me.

I have quite a light lead, so I should be fairly easy to hi-jack... however I am very good at ad-libbing and making 'mistakes' look planned (and not very good at relinquishing control) so I will normally 'steal' the lead back within a beat or two simply because that's what I do: lead.
{Caro - :respect: again}

MartinHarper
29th-May-2006, 01:27 AM
Another guy is more likely to be strong enough to control a male follow...

I've not found that from my side of the fence. There are a few female leads out there who tend to be lighter leads than I prefer, but it feels like this is more about nervousness than about physical strength. The women who have very strong leads aren't necessarilly built stronger: they're just more willing to use the strength they have, with something of a take-no-prisoners attitude. It's more about mental strength and force of will than anything physical.

I prefer dancing with women.

Creepy!
(oops, wrong thread)

Andreas
29th-May-2006, 01:47 AM
I should improve on my following skills a bit more because in Ballroom and Latin American dances (incl. Salsa) I used to enjoy it heaps. It gave me the opportunity to either just float (Ballroom) or play with all the fancy stuff that you don't get an opportunity as a lead. In MJ my following, unfortunately, is too poor to even consider playing :D :blush:

Still, did dance as a follower in Salsa in KL a couple of weeks back and had a ball. So, I think what it comes down to is just the fun factor.

Minnie M
29th-May-2006, 08:56 AM

Or reverse leaders/followers..........would like to see Taz and Craig compete that one!

Lou xx:kiss: :kiss:

There have been a few reverse leaders/followers in competitions (Blackpool & Ceroc I think) already and for same sex entries Andy McGregor has been placed in a couple (one with Sheepman) and I believe there has been same sex 'double troubles' that have been placed.

We saw our very own Franck 'following' with KevF leading at Camber in March - it was great to watch :yeah: very entertaining :grin:

BTW Robert Cordoba follows really well, I wonder if someone will ask him at Southport this weekend :clap:

Frankie_4711
29th-May-2006, 10:13 AM
Have to admit, I've only seen it a couple of times, but I don't have a problem with two guys dancing together - in fact until I read this thread it didn't even occur to me that it decreased the number of male leads (is that thick or what!!) - I just enjoyed watching them as they seemed to have so much fun and were REALLY good!!:worthy:

killingtime
29th-May-2006, 11:23 AM
I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.

I had my first dance with The Tramp on Saturday and it was really interesting and very different to any other following I've done (and that includes with other guys). He was strong enough to put me into drops (and aerials :eek:) with confidence and speed and it made for a very entertaining dance.

I think following (either sex) can make me a better lead by giving me an idea about how moves feel as a follower or what works and what doesn't. So I dance with other men to possibly learn from their style and also to have a laugh. I don't feel guilty about having one dance in a night with another guy and "wasting" two of us on that dance.

azande
29th-May-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't feel guilty about having one dance in a night with another guy and "wasting" two of us on that dance.
:yeah:

even if that guy is BTC Bill :wink:

thewacko
29th-May-2006, 02:35 PM
I have seen quite a few men dancing together, Mostly it has just been for the fun factor as mentioned before, and I must admit it can be quite hilarious, having done it myself a few times both in the lead and follower positions. (I must admit that for a man I make an exceptionally bad woman:what: ) my follow is attrocious. I have also seen some men dance together and they look absolutely fantastic swopping the lead or sabataging each other, even their seducers and drops look good.

jacksondonut
29th-May-2006, 02:56 PM
I really enjoy watching two guys performing together actually... :whistle:

maybe im a little strange....:wink:

Dance Demon
29th-May-2006, 06:10 PM
Some interesting viewpoints. I was just curious as to how the ladies felt.I have danced with other men before myself but I was dancing beside killingtime & the Tramp on Saturday, and noticed a fair amount of other men who had gathered to watch. Meanwhile there were a lot of spare ladies with no one to dance with, and I wondered if they maybe felt a bit put out by it. I'm not having a dig, just interested to see how others felt:)

Lory
29th-May-2006, 07:29 PM

I'm as strange as you :D cos I find it very entertaining and often like to spectate, rather than dance my self. :na:

Maybe i'm just a bit sadistic:blush: cos I love it when they go wrong :rofl:

Freya
29th-May-2006, 10:20 PM

:yeah: Watching two guys together can be really fun and interesting to watch! I don't mind if two guys dance together because up in Aberdeen it doesn't happen too often! If it happened alot and there were alot of extra women it might annoy me slightly but if I really wanted to dance then I could grab a friend and try out my own limited leading skills! :grin:

bigdjiver
29th-May-2006, 11:09 PM
At a recent venue opening it became obvious that they had attracted a sizable gay clientele. A teacher was a bit relieved when a guy asked her to dance.
Then he said that he wanted her to lead.
Then he said that he wanted her to lead so that he could learn how to follow so that he could help to teach his husband to lead.
All in a nights work ...

TheTramp
29th-May-2006, 11:47 PM
I find this talk of ladies 'getting annoyed' if guys dance together, and don't dance with the ladies to be somewhat disturbing to be honest.

What right do you have to expect the guys to do what you want them to do?

If they want to do something else, then surely that's up to them. Last time I looked, I wasn't owned.....

TheTramp
29th-May-2006, 11:49 PM

Some Australian competitions have this already. It's usually called Battle of the Sexes.

I had my partner all sorted out for the competition in June, before finding out that this particular company isn't one of the ones that do.

Hoping that the competition in Brisbane in September does have the category.

Tiggerbabe
30th-May-2006, 12:20 AM
I find this talk of ladies 'getting annoyed' if guys dance together, and don't dance with the ladies to be somewhat disturbing to be honest.

I think if you read back the thread Steve, none of the ladies have said that they "get annoyed". Like myself, most of them would rather not be dancing and watch, it's fun. Best one I've seen so far was Franck and David B but I've enjoyed all the times I've seen guys dancing together.

Don't worry, if a song comes on I really want to dance to and you lot are dancing with each other, I'll ask one of the girls to dance with me :D

Often I'll suggest to a guy that he asks a good "lead" to dance with him so that he can feel exactly what it is that makes the other bloke "good". I can lead them "so far" but I'm nowhere near as good as you guys are :respect:

TheTramp
30th-May-2006, 12:26 AM
I think if you read back the thread Steve, none of the ladies have said that they "get annoyed". Like myself, most of them would rather not be dancing and watch, it's fun. Best one I've seen so far was Franck and David B but I've enjoyed all the times I've seen guys dancing together.

Don't worry, if a song comes on I really want to dance to and you lot are dancing with each other, I'll ask one of the girls to dance with me :D

Often I'll suggest to a guy that he asks a good "lead" to dance with him so that he can feel exactly what it is that makes the other bloke "good". I can lead them "so far" but I'm nowhere near as good as you guys are :respect:
Well, there was one who said that she might. And one guy who said that if he was a woman, he might too....

But I was also drawing on other conversations I've heard away from the forum....

Tiggerbabe
30th-May-2006, 12:37 AM
But I was also drawing on other conversations I've heard away from the forum....
Aw, well - for me "carry on" - I enjoy watching, it's good entertainment :D and I promise not to get annoyed.

TheTramp
30th-May-2006, 12:39 AM
Aw, well - for me "carry on" - I enjoy watching, it's good entertainment :D and I promise not to get annoyed.

Will do. Thank you. And if you ever want to lead..... :flower: :clap:

TiggsTours
30th-May-2006, 10:25 AM

If they want to do something else, then surely that's up to them. Last time I looked, I wasn't owned.....
I've just read through this whole thread, having only just seen it for the first time, and I haven't seen one comment saying that women do get annoyed by 2 men dancing together, infact all I've seen is the exact opposite!

Bee in a bonnet, by any chance?

TheTramp
30th-May-2006, 10:35 AM
I've just read through this whole thread, having only just seen it for the first time, and I haven't seen one comment saying that women do get annoyed by 2 men dancing together, infact all I've seen is the exact opposite!

Bee in a bonnet, by any chance?

Try reading on the next couple of posts....

Georgious dancer
30th-May-2006, 10:47 AM
It doesn't bother me at all.

I enjoy watching guys dance together, some times they look great and other times it's just funny!:rofl:

killingtime
30th-May-2006, 10:57 AM
I think if you read back the thread Steve, none of the ladies have said that they "get annoyed". Like myself, most of them would rather not be dancing and watch, it's fun.

Well presumably because it is still novel. I don't tend sit out and watch women dancing together (maybe I should :rolleyes: ). The original question was about women getting annoyed... though it was just that, a question. There was a little bit of "we might get annoyed if there was no guys available" in the Men dancing as followers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7402) thread.

I've only once been at a venue where all the women were dancing and there were men sitting out (I couldn't tell you if any women were dancing with other women) so I don't really know what it is like. I suppose when I'm looking to dance with someone in particular I might see her dancing with a woman but I just think "she's not available" rather than worry about the sex of her partner.

I can lead them "so far" but I'm nowhere near as good as you guys are :respect:

I think you are a really clear and strong lead :flower:. I was surprised at just how clear a lead I was getting with you when we were dancing down at Storm :worthy:.

Dance Demon
30th-May-2006, 10:59 AM
Well, as my original post stated, I was just curious as to how the ladies felt about 2 guys dancing together if there was a shortage of men. I also stated that i have been "guilty" of this myself on occasion. I am not saying it's wrong, or having a pop at anyone in particular:rolleyes: , just thought it would be nice to know if some ladies felt put out by it. Now I know that some do and some don't, which answers my question:cheers:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-May-2006, 11:50 AM
which answers my question:cheers:You mean you actually had a question answered on the Forum? I'm going to have to sit down for a minute, I feel that faint.

killingtime
30th-May-2006, 01:07 PM
You mean you actually had a question answered on the Forum? I'm going to have to sit down for a minute, I feel that faint.

:rofl:

Thankfully I'm already sitting.

LMC
30th-May-2006, 03:28 PM
Must have been asking the wrong question.

Learning the "other" role is extremely enlightening for improving your main role (whether leader or follower) and gives you a sympathy for the difficulties of being in that "other" role. Certainly, I have had far more patience with limited leaders since I have had my eyes opened to how difficult it actually is to lead. If it's an easy track (I have zero musicality as a lead :blush: ) then I'm happy to reverse roles :)

Shame that two men dancing is rare enough for people to watch.