PDA

View Full Version : Pasa Double

wayaay bird
27th-May-2006, 04:57 PM
For the last few months i have been going to a ballroom and latin class run by Karen Hardy. I've never thought about doing it before until rosie posie told me about it and now i cant get enough. Karen gets professional couples in to teach us different dances and the atmosphere there is just brilliant, (being taught by the best :flower: )

Anyway last week we had Matthew and Nicole Cutler (from SCD) come in to teach us the pasa double and it really is my favourite dance so far. the numbers didnt add up so Matthew and Nicole took it in turns to dance with me :grin: :flower:

It is very different to dancing the cha cha and rumba etc as there are a lot of heel leads so you kinda have to forget everything you've been taught.

Was just wondering who else has tried it and what they thought about it.

Paul F
27th-May-2006, 10:32 PM
:yeah: The paso doble is one of my favourites too.

Of all the dances in 10-dance the Paso Doble allows you to really 'ham it up' :grin:
Ok, thats not exactly a technical term but you really can put so much feeling into the dance.

This is going to sound a bit philosophical so forgive me :nice: but the biggest challenge I found with the Paso Doble was in removing yourself from the moment. Thats the only way I can describe it.

The actions and imagery you can create with the dance is unlike any other IMO. The challenge though is to let go. People can feel very self-conscious when doing it which is understandable as it is a very alien style but if you let go it can be an exerience in itself. It is a dance that mandates a style that is either all or nothing. Very powerful. Very rewarding.

Evgeni
28th-May-2006, 10:58 AM
It was never one of my favourites to start with - and I must agree with Paul, that once it grows on you and you begin to picture yourself in the ring with the bull and trying to lure the animal with the girl/cape, but at the same time trying to keep her out of harms way, whilst marching to the tune of Espani Cani is a real adventure and role play.
Even the moves have really cool names to set the atmosphere - sur place, appel, deplacement, chasse cape, grand circle, attack, telemark, press line, la passe, etc...
Anyway, you are learning with the best of them. I used to love watching Karen Hardy and Bryan Watson when they were dancing together.

wayaay bird
28th-May-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyway, you are learning with the best of them. I used to love watching Karen Hardy and Bryan Watson when they were dancing together.

Yeh she is a lovely dancer and lovely person, she talks to you like a real person even though she is a celebrity now. she even leant me a skirt for my cha cha competition last week :grin:

Sorry if i spelt it wrong.. wasnt quite sure on the spelling.

Its a shame coz we learn something new every week i wont be able to build up on the pasa double very quickly but am considering having private lessons for it. If anyone is interested in the classes, we need a few more men :flower:

Ghost
28th-May-2006, 08:05 PM
If anyone is interested in the classes, we need a few more men :flower:
When, where etc?

I'm sure Ducasi would love to help out, but it might be a bit of a commute :wink:

Be Well,
Christopher

ducasi
28th-May-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm sure Ducasi would love to help out, but it might be a bit of a commute :wink: Certainly, sounds like fun... Though like Christopher says, I'm not sure I could fit in the flights back and forward to London (I presume?) along with my WCS and Ceroc commitments... Oh – and work... Can't forget work... :(

wayaay bird
29th-May-2006, 01:28 PM
Every monday at ..

City Limits
Colannades, 619 Purley Way
Purley, Surrey, CR0 4RQ

Have a look at her website- www.i-dance.co.uk

We have a party night at the end of every 8 week course where we learn a bit of dancing and play games and a few professionals come down and dance for us. great night. so if you cant make the classes, you're more then welcome to come a long to that.