PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with someone from another style

Ghost
26th-May-2006, 02:43 PM
It usually takes just two moves before I ask "so what other partner dancing have you done?".
usually it's salsa, and I'm learning to anticipate the differences in following from the salsa dancers. The one's who come from ballroom can usually follow most things I lead. My favourites are those who've done solo dancing like jazz ballet. They are used to keeping their own balance, not relying on a partner, and tend to quickly pick up how to follow.

I had an interesting conversation with Sparkles a while back about the ways some Ceroc moves are counter-intuitive to people who've done Salsa. Talking with Rosie Posie and a non-Fourmite, I've noticed as well that they tend to do Salsa footwork unconciously (which is cool :cool: )

So any advice / tips for dancing with someone who's done a different style? Eg moves to avoid, moves to use, alterations etc.

Thanks,
Christopher

timbp
26th-May-2006, 03:11 PM
the main thing I've noticed with salsa followers is they always do stepping turns, not spins, and expect to travel on the turn. So I expect them to travel -- I always lead travelling returns not returns on the spot, and in every other spin/turn I plan for them to travel.

the other common problem is if they go into salsa basic footwork they may be trying to step back when I want them to step forward. I just try to pay attention to the tension and either follow them or (usually) give them the extra time to step back and forward again.

frodo
28th-May-2006, 12:24 AM
I had an interesting conversation with Sparkles a while back about the ways some Ceroc moves are counter-intuitive to people who've done Salsa. Talking with Rosie Posie and a non-Fourmite, I've noticed as well that they tend to do Salsa footwork unconciously (which is cool :cool: )

So any advice / tips for dancing with someone who's done a different style? Eg moves to avoid, moves to use, alterations etc.

Had this problem recently. Was attempting to dance with a spanish lady at a (multi-style) dance ( I don't speak Spanish and she was just starting English ), and so was unable to establish what dances she knew (other than Flamenco).

Salsa seemed to work reasonably well.

I tried Modern Jive on a couple of tracks, thinking it should be the easiest dance to lead in this sort of situation, but it didn't really work all that well. - The moves seemed to need a bit too much knowledge. It would have been good to have considered in advance what the best moves were (any thoughts would be good).

Interestingly Ballroom Jive seemed to work better - it didn't feel like she knew it, or related Swing dances, but she seemed to have less trouble following that than Modern Jive.

Andreas
30th-May-2006, 02:14 PM
If you don't do other styles than MJ and find it hard to dance with people of other styles slow down your MJ. Slowing it down will bring it on par with Merengue, which is a lot easier to follow because there is no 'bungy' effect to be worried about. Everything is essentially being walked through. This also leaves a lot of time to play with. :flower:

Frankie_4711
30th-May-2006, 06:28 PM
If you don't do other styles than MJ and find it hard to dance with people of other styles slow down your MJ. Slowing it down will bring it on par with Merengue, which is a lot easier to follow because there is no 'bungy' effect to be worried about. Everything is essentially being walked through. This also leaves a lot of time to play with. :flower:

Not me personally, but I do know quite a few people who really struggle with slow MJ - perhaps it's all that extra time that they don't know what to do with? (why do some people insist on doing a fast spin and then stand there looking lost for the rest of the beat?) Some just seem to find it hard to find or stick to the beat or rhythm when it's slower. All a bit alien to me coz I love it slowed down, which is why I really notice when my partner's struggling! Perhaps I should give this Merengue thing a go - anything like meringue??:drool:

Whitebeard
30th-May-2006, 10:56 PM
..... All a bit alien to me coz I love it slowed down, which is why I really notice when my partner's struggling! .....

If you see an older guy with a white beard ask him for a dance. He just might be at the right stage of degression to provide that sort of (in)action. I know, I'm there ;-)

Frankie_4711
2nd-June-2006, 06:12 PM
If you see an older guy with a white beard ask him for a dance. He just might be at the right stage of degression to provide that sort of (in)action. I know, I'm there ;-)

Thank - I'll bear that in mind!

Anna
3rd-June-2006, 04:53 AM
the main thing I've noticed with salsa followers is they always do stepping turns, not spins, and expect to travel on the turn. So I expect them to travel -- I always lead travelling returns not returns on the spot, and in every other spin/turn I plan for them to travel.

the other common problem is if they go into salsa basic footwork they may be trying to step back when I want them to step forward. I just try to pay attention to the tension and either follow them or (usually) give them the extra time to step back and forward again.

What level salsa dancers have you been ceroc-ing with? Just out of curiosity... because if they were at least intermediate they should be spinning NOT stepping turns anymore.