PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with talons.

johnthehappyguy
25th-May-2006, 11:28 AM
I have danced with ladies possessing beautifully manicured nails.:nice:

I have also danced with a few with long nails, best described as talons.:sick:

Dancing with a very open hand seemed to be the best way I found of avoiding being stabbed.

How is this subject best tackled on the dancefloor ?

John:nice:

fletch
25th-May-2006, 11:35 AM
I have long manicured nails and i'm very ware of them, I try hard to make sure there isn't a problem with them and doesn't cause a problem to my partner, I will be following this tread with interest.

:flower:

TiggsTours
25th-May-2006, 11:49 AM
I have reasonably long nails, although I try to keep them on the shorter side of long because of dancing, and typing. The only time I ever find it a problem is when I'm dancing with someone with a heavy handhold, but then, that used to be a problem without the nails anyway!

The only thing to do is have a nice loose and open handhold, but then you should have that anyway!

I'm not saying its all the man's fault, the same goes for the ladies, with a nice loose open handhold, nails should never be a problem, unless they're 5 inches long or something ridiculous like that!

Chef
25th-May-2006, 11:53 AM
Dancing with a very open hand seemed to be the best way I found of avoiding being stabbed.

If my first line of defence has failed and I find myself in this situation then leading very simple moves with an open hand is your only option.

Unfortunately ladies with these talons are normally very new to the dance scene and often they will be unsteady on thier feet and unsure about their role and will make up for this by gripping your hand tightly with their talons.

I have lost enough flesh and blood from the insides of my fingers over the years to propose only one real solution.

Avoidance.

To be able to avoid someone that is going to give you and injury that may put you out of dancing until the wounds heal you need to be able to identify these talon bearing followers. Obviously talons themselves are the prime indicator but useful clues that talons lurk at the end of proferred fingers is the presence of large and sharp rings and a profusion of bangles. This lets you know that dancing for this person is mostly a chance to dress up and go out for the night. No serious or considerate dancer would have such an array of weaponry on their hands to inflict damage on you.

Avoidance is the first line of defence but if you find yourself unexpectedly caught in this situation then try to avoid allowing your hand to be held by a) staying in close hold as much as possible b) using gentle leading from alternative places such as hips, shoulders, elbows or wrists c) using a flat open hand so that there is too much for her fingers to close around.

It might seem harsh but having to be off work for a week because you have open wounds in your hands is also harsh. For her it is a three minute dance. For you the memory can be much longer.

TiggsTours
25th-May-2006, 12:02 PM
To be able to avoid someone that is going to give you and injury that may put you out of dancing until the wounds heal you need to be able to identify these talon bearing followers. Obviously talons themselves are the prime indicator but useful clues that talons lurk at the end of proferred fingers is the presence of large and sharp rings and a profusion of bangles. This lets you know that dancing for this person is mostly a chance to dress up and go out for the night. No serious or considerate dancer would have such an array of weaponry on their hands to inflict damage on you.
I do believe the male version of this evil partner to be avoided at all costs is the watch wearer, especially the metal strap variety. Sadly this partner's ability to inflict such wounds does not subside with experience, in fact, it only seems to increase, along with the speed they are able to whip you round, whilst dragging such said weapon across any bare flesh that may even momentarily be available to them. The best defence we have in such situations is to risk permanent damage to clothing instead.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 12:08 PM
I have danced with ladies possessing beautifully manicured nails.:nice:

I have also danced with a few with long nails, best described as talons.:sick:

I have long nails, but not long enough to hurt anybody I'm dancing with. Plus I don't grip, so even if I had ridiculously long nails, it still shouldn't effect them.

Anybody who walks away with wounds in there hands have obviously been dancing with somebody who has not a lot of experience. I think the most important thing, or one of the most important things to be taught at the start of any lesson, is hand compression. If the odd person tends to ignore this, and starts gripping on for their lives, you MUST tell them. This way, you shouldn't be leaving the venue with nail marks on your arms/hands

I disagree with what chef said about women who have long nails are just out to look good rather than care much for the dancing. Ok, everybody likes to look there best when going for a night out, but you look at these professional ballroom/latin dancers... have you noticed they all have long nails? It doesn't bother their partner, and it shouldn't do, because the first thing they are taught is to keep a loose grip and to carry their own weight. They have to look totally immaculate, but they are there to dance more than anything.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 12:12 PM
I do believe the male version of this evil partner to be avoided at all costs is the watch wearer, especially the metal strap variety. Sadly this partner's ability to inflict such wounds does not subside with experience, in fact, it only seems to increase, along with the speed they are able to whip you round, whilst dragging such said weapon across any bare flesh that may even momentarily be available to them. The best defence we have in such situations is to risk permanent damage to clothing instead.

Aaah the watch!!! :tears: I was forever telling Steve to take off his watch and empty his pockets as I was forever getting his watch scratching my arms or pinching or his keys digging into the side of my legs or waist. Not pleasant at all having bruises all over your body.

I know somebody who has extremely long eyelashes who was dancing with somebody wearing a watch. He led her into a fast underarm turn.. and her eyelashes got caught in his watch and they were torn off! :tears: I'm sure that will bring tears to your eyes! :blush:

Piglet
25th-May-2006, 12:22 PM
I do believe the male version of this evil partner to be avoided ...

Yep, I've danced with guys who have long enough nails to hurt (I've not been overly damaged yet - which is amazing, because one guy grips on like death anyway and I find him a bit rough to dance with, so needless to say I don't ask him for a dance!) I think if I were a guy I'd avoid long nailed ladies as much as I could. Needless to say my nails are very short - I've never anything decent to manicure - but can't be bothered with the fuss and bother anyway.

Dorothy
25th-May-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree with Donna, if the hand grip is loose and correct, long nail shouldn't be an issue :nice:

Chef
25th-May-2006, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=TiggsTours] I do believe the male version of this evil partner to be avoided at all costs is the watch wearer, especially the metal strap variety. [QUOTE/]

I do so agree with this. My partner has suffered numerous wounds from mens watches (including having almost all of her eyelashes on her right eye ripped out) and I have had flesh scraped off my forearm by ladies watches of the same type.

Wearing a wristwatch at a dance event is simply not needed. If you need to know what the time is then leave your watch in your dance bag so that you can look at it in between dances. Looking at while you are dancing might be considered rude. If all you want to do is know when it is time to go home then all you need to do is look for the following two signs a) the music stops for longer than ten minutes b) you collapse from exhaustion.

[QUOTE=Donna] I disagree with what chef said about women who have long nails are just out to look good rather than care much for the dancing. Ok, everybody likes to look there best when going for a night out, but you look at these professional ballroom/latin dancers... have you noticed they all have long nails? It doesn't bother there partner, and it shouldn't do, because the first thing they are taught is to keep a loose grip and to carry their own weight.[QUOTE/]

I think I said that that followers with long nail, large and sharp rings and a profusions of bangles were mostly there for the chance to dress up. I have a number of friends that I know have long nails but I know and trust them enough to not dig them into me.

It is similar to the situation where women discuss who they will do drops with. It comes down to if the impression that they have given you so far is that they do not know what they are doing, do you take the risk?

So when I go out dancing next and I see a lady with long nails, rings and other weaponry approaching me that I have never danced with before I bear in mind that my trip to Southport will not as good if I have to nurse wounds in my handS, and that there are lots of other women here to dance with instead. I asK myself "do I feel lucky". On balance I don't think it is worth taking the risk.

Professional latin dancers are just that - professional. A different prospect from A.N. Other random dancer.

It is just a matter of risk assement.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 12:43 PM
Needless to say my nails are very short - I've never anything decent to manicure - but can't be bothered with the fuss and bother anyway.

Hey piglet... like you then, maybe we should all work with kids! It's enough to keep your nails really short for a life time, which will suit some of these guys fine! :wink: :rofl:

LMC
25th-May-2006, 12:47 PM
If there is an obvious beginner in the class with long nails/dangerous jewellery, then catch one of the taxi dancers and ask them to do a "general address" in the review class (covering issues listed above).

If it's someone who has been dancing a while, then I would have no problems saying something to them. That something has been known to be a really pathetic and unnecessarily loud "OW" when my hair has got caught in a watch strap - followed by explanation.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 01:00 PM
If it's someone who has been dancing a while, then I would have no problems saying something to them. That something has been known to be a really pathetic and unnecessarily loud "OW" when my hair has got caught in a watch strap - followed by explanation.

Like you, I also wouldn't have a prob pointing the problem out to someone who is experienced and it's bound to be someone I know quite well then. It would be a bit tricky asking a beginner to remove his/her jewellry without worrying about making them feel uneasy. I'd approach a taxi dancer or the teacher if I knew their chucky piece of jewellry was hurting other people in the class. However, in the Wrexham venue, being a demonstrator, I wouldn't be afraid to tell them myself, but in someone else's venue, maybe not. Depends.

On the other hand, you can't ask a lady to take her nails off can you? Imagine it! 'Hey you, can you go and cut your nails NOW please??!' :rofl:

Ghost
25th-May-2006, 01:14 PM
Second line of defense - shift to wrist leads.

(Though I do like the LMC "scream like a girl" idea :worthy: )

Third line of defense - ok right now drape your left hand over your right as if you were leading with a right hand. Slowly rotate / move your right hand up so it's more of a half & half against the left hand's palm and inside of fingers. You should reach a point where it's not physically possible to impale yourself with your left hand's nails. :clap:
(If you tense your hand it's a really good defense against the "death grip" too)

I'm guessing you know the whole "shift your hands through 90 degrees in the middle part of a catapult" thing. (For those who don't, when you are about to do the lean / forward, she leans back and counterbalances bit, instead of having your fingers facing towards her, have them facing inwards towards eachother.)

Be Well,
Christopher

onkar
25th-May-2006, 01:50 PM
As a rule now, unless I know the lady I will not dance with anyone who has big nails. I have literally bled on the dance floor, likewise for any that are wearing big/sharp rings.

Something that still catches me out, are ladies who turn the stone of their rings inwards, (thus lulling my digits into a into a false sense of security). Why do they do this? Why do they look confused when I turn the ring back out ward facing?

I agree that not all long nailed ladies are dangerous (well not on the dance floor at least), and I have had some exquiste dances with quite a few ladies, but as a rule I have only done this with ladies who I have seen dancing, and can tell they are good/considerate dancers who also dress to impress (Fletch :grin: ).

As a rule when I see big nails I run!

Onkar

ducasi
25th-May-2006, 01:54 PM
Looking at while you are dancing might be considered rude. ... ... unless you're dancing to Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For?", when it can be quite funny... :)

Anyway, serious question... Does having long fingernails discourage grippers?

Donna
25th-May-2006, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=ducasi]... unless you're dancing to Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For?", when it can be quite funny... :)

I can imagine! :rofl:

Donna
25th-May-2006, 02:08 PM
Something that still catches me out, are ladies who turn the stone of their rings inwards, (thus lulling my digits into a into a false sense of security). Why do they do this? Why do they look confused when I turn the ring back out ward facing?

Eh? :confused: :rofl: I must admit I'm guilty of this one. Sometimes the stones tend to slip under the finger and I remember (gosh going back a couple of years now) when this guy got HIS nails stuck under the ring and
half of it came off. Now I'm normally not squeamish but this just made my stomach flip! :sick:

Chef
25th-May-2006, 02:29 PM
I must admit I'm guilty of this one. Sometimes the stones tend to slip under the finger and I remember (gosh going back a couple of years now) when this guy got HIS nails stuck under the ring and
half of it came off. Now I'm normally not squeamish but this just made my stomach flip! :sick:

Hmmm. I can't imagine that it was a bundle of laughs for him either.

I did come across one lady that had bandages around two seperate fingers. I asked her if she was injured and if there was anything in particular that I should avoid doing while dancing with her so as to not hurt her. She explained that she had a wedding ring that she could not bring herself to remove under any circumstances and another ring that was just too painful to get over her knuckle on dance nights. She had decided to put tape over them when she dances to avoid hurting her partners. deep :respect: for this lady for the consideration that she gave her partners.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 02:41 PM
I did come across one lady that had bandages around two seperate fingers. I asked her if she was injured and if there was anything in particular that I should avoid doing while dancing with her so as to not hurt her. She explained that she had a wedding ring that she could not bring herself to remove under any circumstances and another ring that was just too painful to get over her knuckle on dance nights. She had decided to put tape over them when she dances to avoid hurting her partners. deep :respect: for this lady for the consideration that she gave her partners.

I guess the same applies for any kind of sport. If not willing to remove rings or even earrings, they should be covered up with plasters.

Rhythm King
25th-May-2006, 04:35 PM
What about those long, curved, dagger-like hair grips that some ladies use to put their hair up? I've had a couple of injuries from them.

Freya
25th-May-2006, 04:47 PM
What about those long, curved, dagger-like hair grips that some ladies use to put their hair up? I've had a couple of injuries from them.
How did you manage that one???? Were they not turning under your hand properly!!!! :whistle: Oooops different thread!!!!! :wink:

Donna
25th-May-2006, 05:21 PM

I've got a few of them.. but don't wear them for dancing because they don't stay in. Could be worse seeing someone step on one! :tears:

fletch
25th-May-2006, 07:54 PM
ladies with these talons are normally very new to the dance scene .

For her it is a three minute dance. For you the memory can be much longer.

The memory of all of our dances last longer than three minutes :worthy:

And i'm sooooooo glad you and Dawn are coming to Southport, but the nails will still be long :blush:

fletch
25th-May-2006, 07:58 PM
I agree that not all long nailed ladies are dangerous (well not on the dance floor at least), and I have had some exquiste dances with quite a few ladies, but as a rule I have only done this with ladies who I have seen dancing, and can tell they are good/considerate dancers who also dress to impress (Fletch :grin: ).

:worthy: