PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ballroom Weekend Friday Night Invasion

Freya
24th-May-2006, 02:45 PM
To keep the BFG 2006 playlists thread pure I’ve started a wee poll here!

It was suggested onAnother Thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8534) that since there is going to be no suitable venue available for the Friday night party that we should “Invade” somewhere!!!!!

Would anyone be up for a wee Ceroc invasion and can anyone think of somewhere suitable on a Friday night????

I know there’s a poll about the classes and the party nights already but this is to find out who would like to go out the Friday night!!!!!

Piglet
24th-May-2006, 03:10 PM
What about heading down to Brechin?

Just an idea - it is a lovely venue, and I'm sure you could continue on in Aberdeen afterwards - unless you can twist Lorna's arm to keep it open a bit later for that one night :clap: I could give 3 people a lift down - 4 if the 3 in the back are small ones :na:

TheTramp
24th-May-2006, 03:13 PM
Hehe. I suggest that you read 'Another thread' Miss Pamela.

And answer your text messages too! :rolleyes:

Freya
24th-May-2006, 03:17 PM

Just an idea - it is a lovely venue, and I'm sure you could continue on in Aberdeen afterwards - unless you can twist Lorna's arm to keep it open a bit later for that one night :clap: I could give 3 people a lift down - 4 if the 3 in the back are small ones :na:

As said in Other thread I won't be able to make Brechin although is a lovely idea! Will have to Make it down one day!

ducasi
24th-May-2006, 03:21 PM
I haven't figured out when I'm coming up or where I'm staying, but if I'm going to do the Friday, I'd like to visit Brechin...

Don't think the trains from Glasgow go through Brechin though... :confused:

Piglet
24th-May-2006, 06:41 PM
What about parachuting in? :rofl:

Piglet
24th-May-2006, 06:44 PM
Hehe. I suggest that you read 'Another thread' Great minds huh?

(and is it my fault that you folk started chatting about a night out on a thread about playlists?? OOOOOOhhhh! I could ALMOST neg rep you for going off topic - but since I didn't read that thread until sent there I think that would be pretty unfair).

Freya
25th-May-2006, 09:01 AM
Great minds huh?

(and is it my fault that you folk started chatting about a night out on a thread about playlists?? OOOOOOhhhh! I could ALMOST neg rep you for going off topic - but since I didn't read that thread until sent there I think that would be pretty unfair).

If you read it I started this thread so that the other one wouldn't de-rail! Please :flower: :flower: don't neg rep me :grin:

Caro
25th-May-2006, 09:04 PM

:yeah: that's what I was planning to do... my best friend from France is coming especially for the week-end, and I thought it would be good for her to attend a class before the big BB thing... although she is a brilliant dancer, she hasn't really danced ceroc before (except with me :D )...

Would be able to give 2 people a lift too if anybody's interested... Freya, I haven't read the other thread, suppose you're working or something? may be we could meet later :hug:

killingtime
13th-June-2006, 02:39 PM
I haven't figured out when I'm coming up or where I'm staying, but if I'm going to do the Friday, I'd like to visit Brechin...

I'd like to visit Brechin too but maybe turning the car around and driving the other way again is a bit too much traveling for the day (since I'm not driving I'm not the one that has to put up with it). Unless I can convince my parents to take up dancing :devil:.

Yliander
13th-June-2006, 03:03 PM
What about heading down to Brechin? I think this is a very good plan - as it's where I'm intending to be ;)

IainL
13th-June-2006, 03:55 PM
I am organising a car journey from London to Aberdeen (via Edinburgh) return.
I am looking for anyone interested in car sharing and possible co-driving (although this is not essential). I can also pick up from any part on my route.

Essentially, my journey can take the route of either M1/M6 or A1M etc depending on where interested parties live.

I can also provide accommodation details for those interested.

Dancing
Friday evening: Route 66 - Edinburgh
(Info: http://www.route66jive.com)

Saturday evening: Ceroc Scotland - Aberdeen Beach Ballroom
Sunday evening: Ceroc Scotland - Aberdeen
(Info: http://www.cerocscotland.com)

If your interested please contact me ASAP.

Freya
13th-June-2006, 04:45 PM
It'll be great to see you again at this Beach Ballroom.

Come and find me for a dance or Two. I'll be there Both nights.

IainL
13th-June-2006, 04:53 PM
I remember you!! Cant wait to find you :grin:

pmjd
13th-June-2006, 05:22 PM

You could get off the train at Montrose, then it's only a couple of miles to Brechin, unless some other kind dancer might be able to come and get you:nice:

fletch
13th-June-2006, 05:29 PM
Is any one up for Clubbing after route 66 on Friday:clap: and are there any suitable clubs locally:confused: for us older ones:na:

:flower:

Piglet
13th-June-2006, 11:42 PM
Brechin here I come! :D

ducasi
14th-June-2006, 01:48 AM
Brechin here I come! :D
I'm going to miss Brechin this time. :( Maybe next time though. :)

fletch
14th-June-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm getting confused:confused: (I know its not hard) :rolleyes: what's brechin and what's happening with route 66 are we going out after cos I will need different clothes:waycool: the ones i'm wearing arn't suterble for clubbing:blush:

:flower:

Piglet
14th-June-2006, 03:34 PM
Brechin's a wee town 1/2 way between Dundee and Aberdeen and Route66 (I think) is in Edinburgh!

Are you in Aberdeen on the Sunday Fletch? Hope to meet you soon :hug:

fletch
14th-June-2006, 03:46 PM
Brechin's a wee town 1/2 way between Dundee and Aberdeen and Route66 (I think) is in Edinburgh!

Are you in Aberdeen on the Sunday Fletch? Hope to meet you soon :hug:

I understand now :blush:

I will be at the Aberdeen Chill on Sunday:flower: I hope to meet you :flower:

Heather
14th-June-2006, 04:28 PM
Brechin is a Ceroc class run by Lorna, one of the Scottish teachers, in the town of Brechin.

Route 66 is a freestyle run by Dance Demon and Dr Feelgood in Edinburgh.

I'll be at Route 66 ( although I doubt if I'll be dressed in any Hawaiian gear - more like something from my old boring black wardrobe of clothes!!!)
Hope to meet you all there. Unfortunately, I doubt if I'll manage to the Beach Ballroom this time, as I'm doing the Race for Life at Camperdown Park, Dundee on Sunday and I'll need all my energy.
BE WARNED - I'm looking for more sponsors, so bring some dosh with you to Route 66 .

:hug:
Heather
x

fletch
14th-June-2006, 04:34 PM
Route 66 is a freestyle run by Dance Demon and Dr Feelgood in Edinburgh.

I'll be at Route 66 ( although I doubt if I'll be dressed in any Hawaiian gear - more like something from my old boring black wardrobe of clothes!!!)
Hope to meet you all there. Unfortunately, I doubt if I'll manage to the Beach Ballroom this time, as I'm doing the Race for Life at Camperdown Park, Dundee on Sunday and I'll need all my energy.
BE WARNED - I'm looking for more sponsors, so bring some dosh with you to Route 66 .

Heather
x

I'm happy to sponsor you, just grab me and i'll cough up :flower:

I'm going to wear 'beach' its not Hawaiian but I would wear it to the beach :blush:

Its black but neaver boaring :wink:

Dance Demon
14th-June-2006, 04:57 PM

Aww Heather, you should wear something bright & summery to show off that fab new slimline figure:wink: :yum:

Lorna
14th-June-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi,

Brechin is the host of one of Scotland's newest ceroc classes.

Been open for about 6 months now and for a wee place like this, we are doing extremely well. They are all hooked. Got a minibus of us coming up for the party on Sat night.

Would be great to see lots of you this Friday. It's great when we are visited by experienced dancers. Gives them a real boost :clap:

I tend to finish at 11pm but if we have a lot of people there on Friday then I may be persuaded to open later. I sell water and soft drinks at the venue but feel free to bring your own.

Venue is : The Mechanics Institute. (If coming from the south then it's the first big building facing you as you enter the main town, complete with ceroc banner)

Looking forward to seeing lots of you there,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Heather
15th-June-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm happy to sponsor you, just grab me and i'll cough up :flower:

Thanks Fletch - I'll hold you to that!!!:wink:

See you at Route 66 on Friday.:flower:

Heather

Beowulf
16th-June-2006, 12:28 PM
I will not be going anywhere on Friday (tonight) but I will be attending the Beach Ballroom Party with my repertoire of 8 moves :)

No idea what I'll be wearing yet though. What's the dress code for parties??

Gadget
16th-June-2006, 12:38 PM
Just wear your dressing gown - you'll fit right in :devil::D:devil:

pmjd
16th-June-2006, 12:44 PM
Though it might be a thought to wear something under it, unless your planning a solo Full Monty cabaret:wink:

I'm sure one of the DJs will have the music!

Beowulf
16th-June-2006, 05:20 PM
Alas.. I would ., but my dressing gown is an all gray charcoal number , not the delightful red checkered affair my Avatar sports.

Besides.. I would think one would be quite overheated wearing a big fleecy dressing gown and dancing on a crowded dance floor simultaneously

Piglet
16th-June-2006, 05:32 PM
Fantastic news Beowulf1970 - glad you can make Saturday :D

Beowulf
16th-June-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm actually a bit confused now.. Was checking the webpage to check the times and I'm sure Lorna said you could pay at the door no need to book.. but I see on the website it says You need to book as the venue will be sold out?

who.what is correct? Would hate to get there then get turned away..

Gadget
17th-June-2006, 08:20 AM
You won't get turned away - the partys are pay at the door (although you could have pre-booked to get on the "guest list"). The workshops are all booked out.

AFIK

Beowulf
17th-June-2006, 10:27 AM
Cool.. Wasn't thinking of going to any of the workshops.. not yet.

Will be there nice and early..

Beowulf
17th-June-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi All.. :(

Firstly sorry for disappearing so early and so invisibly. I don't know what happened but I just couldn't stay. being in a small hall with a relatively small number of dancers of all skill levels in casual clothes is one thing. but to suddenly find yourself in a massive hall with hundreds of really glamorous expert dancers . I suddenly felt intolerably self conscious and had to leave.

I'm not a social animal. I have recently (well 7 months now) had an experience that has blown what little self confidence I had and I was attending ceroc to try and claw some of it back. I guess, trying to run before I can walk is not such a good idea.

I met some REALLY nice people in Freya's I wish I could have stayed and chatted/danced with you and I'm really sorry for letting you all down. I'm utterly ashamed at myself. One of the people there Said that he thought I was being brave going to a party so soon.. guess I wasn't as brave as I thought.. :(

Sorry gadge, never even had a chance to say goodbye. and Yliander sorry I turned you down for a dance.. was having some dutch courage (and I'm supposed to be tea total) when you asked.. but it didn't work. I was just totally overwhelmed. I never finished my drink I got when I went in..

I know it's just dance.. But I have problems I need to fix that are worse than I thought. :( am a pityful excuse of a man.

under par
18th-June-2006, 12:32 AM

:( am a pityful excuse of a man.

I feel you are being far too harsh on yourself.:flower:

It is only a dance and all dancers have to start somewhere.

It will seem all too small an issue in 6 months time.You will have forgotten about all these concerns.

Keep smiling and remember that however good a dancer you believe they may be they all use toilet paper just like you.:whistle: :D :D

Sheepman
18th-June-2006, 03:49 PM
I was just totally overwhelmed. Aren't most events, dancing or otherwise, just a bit scary when you're not familiar with them? And with the reputation that BB now has, no doubt the result can be even more daunting for the uninitiated.
But don't forget that most of that reputation is built upon the friendliness and the compassion of the people who are there, so regardless of your dancing expertise, I'm sure there is also a welcome.
It can be tough, being on the sidelines, feeling out of your depth (who hasn't been there?) but expanding your horizons has to be a good thing, even if it can feel like an uphill task.

Greg

Dance Demon
18th-June-2006, 04:10 PM

One of the people there Said that he thought I was being brave going to a party so soon.. guess I wasn't as brave as I thought.. :(

FWIW Beowulf, from my vantage point on the stage, I spotted quite a few people ( male & female) who were beginners. I don't think saying you were brave to " go to a party so soon" was a particularly good thing to say to you. Parties are all about fun, and not just for experienced dancers. Even if you are not dancing all the time, it's nice to sit and watch, and even get inspired by some of the better dancers. Remember that they were beginners once too. Dancing with more experienced dancers will bring your dancing on. Don't be hard on yourself, it will all fall into place in time, meanwhile enjoy the learning experience.

Beowulf
18th-June-2006, 05:51 PM
thanks for all your kind words of support. I just feel so darn silly. I was really looking forward to the event. Had been swotting up on my moves both online and with my beginner DVD, but the more I revised the less I remembered.

Used to have the same problem in High school exams. Would know my subject fine but as the exam got closer I'd panic more and more until when I got to the exam hall it was all I could muster to write my name of the answer sheet.

But I felt really silly as I said, as I was convinced I would be fine.. it's just dancing with a crowd of really friendly people after all.. far nicer and more fun than a darned higher Maths exam :)

I have been somewhat house bound since me and my fiancée split in December of last year. and I was never Mr outgoing at the best of times for the last 6/7 months I've been so introverted I was risking collapsing into a black hole :)

but hey.. this is a dance forum not some self help group for introverted ubergeeks :) I'll be back at the class on Tuesday as one thing I know.. if you fall off a bike it's better to get right back on it again.

I am fine.. just disappointed in myself and giving up so quick. A few more months worth of lessons.. some smaller parties and I'll be up there boogieing with the rest of you ;)

Minnie M
18th-June-2006, 05:59 PM
.. some smaller parties and I'll be up there boogieing with the rest of you ;)
On the contrary - come to Southport in September :clap: you can have a drink :cheers: and not worry about driving if you need some dutch courage :flower: there is such a friendly atmospher, all levels of dancing and forumite BBQs and waffle parties - and you will meet the rest of us friendly southern forumites :flower: :hug:

DavidY
18th-June-2006, 06:11 PM
but hey.. this is a dance forum not some self help group for introverted ubergeeks :)Why do you think that the 2 are mutually exclusive?

Beowulf
18th-June-2006, 06:37 PM
Why do you think that the 2 are mutually exclusive?

hahahaha!! :D

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 08:14 PM
I don't know what happened but I just couldn't stay. being in a small hall with a relatively small number of dancers of all skill levels in casual clothes is one thing. but to suddenly find yourself in a massive hall with hundreds of really glamorous expert dancers . I suddenly felt intolerably self conscious and had to leave.

Hi!

I don't think we've met (?), but I was there last night, too, and I had a thoroughly miserable time, so totally sympathise with you! Although I've danced jive for 5 years, I just felt like I couldn't dance at all last night. It seemed like everyone else in the room were more competent/ confident/ pretty/ having a better time than I was. All I wanted to do was to curl up under the table and cry, and I kept nipping out of the hall to hide in the toilets, or hide behind the curtains at the side of the hall.

I know some people think I'm a pretty good dancer, but I have a total lack of self esteem and confidence, and last night I felt fat, ugly, lumpy and awkward. I felt I should apologise to every single person I danced with. I've had a lousy day today, too, because of last night (also because of some of the conversations I had with dance friends, who were actually just trying to make me feel better about my dancing abilities!!!), and just feel like giving up dancing, and taking up stamp collecting as a hobby instead.

So: Don't be too hard on yourself, and remember that everyone might feel frightened and overwhelmed from time to time, no matter how good or bad a dancer they might be. Have a hug::hug: and please come ask me for a dance sometime (next time I venture to Aberdeen).

LM:flower:

Thanks to Paul, (forgotten your forum name!) and Claire S for the hugs and for putting up with a very over-emotional Little Monkey.

Minnie M
18th-June-2006, 08:22 PM
.........I know some people think I'm a pretty good dancer, but I have a total lack of self esteem and confidence, and last night I felt fat, ugly, lumpy and awkward........
:really: my goodness :what: that really is a surprise, you ARE a good dancer, and very pretty and never lumpy and awkward ......... gosh if you felt like that I am so glad I wasn't there :what:

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 08:32 PM
:really: my goodness :what: that really is a surprise, you ARE a good dancer, and very pretty and never lumpy and awkward ......... gosh if you felt like that I am so glad I wasn't there :what:

Thanks.:flower:
I just wish there was somewhere I could buy a few bucket fulls of self esteem and confidence!

Beowulf
18th-June-2006, 08:33 PM
LM.. :hug:

At least you stayed... max kudos for you. It's a pity you didn't have fun and It's odd as looking through your other posts you sound like a really confident dancer.

I think my problems started when Gadget and I helped Frank in with some bags. As soon as I walked in I could see people looking at us and putting their heads together probably asking "Who's that coming in With Frank and Gadget" or probably not.. probably good old fashioned paranoia again.

Next time you're in Aberdeen PM me before you come. That way if we feel the same way again we can both hide behind the curtains together and at least have some company and a laugh about it.

The standard of dancers did seem pretty high (well to my uintrained eyes at least) and I guess if anyone was feeling a little below par being surrounded by "shiny happy people" doesn't always help.

if it happens to you after dancing for so long I don't feel so bad with it happening to me after 2 weeks and 2 lessons!

here.. have another couple :hug: :hug:

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 08:45 PM
LM.. :hug:

At least you stayed... max kudos for you.

I only stayed as I had no choice! I don't drive, so got a lift up from Dundee with a couple of friends. A bit far to walk home, and a tad expensive to get a taxi....

It's odd as looking through your other posts you sound like a really confident dancer.

I can be almost confident on good days, but I'm still always scared of asking people (esp good dancers!) for a dance, and crumble if I make a mistake! I do try to act confident and happy, which of course seems to fool most people!:wink:

Next time you're in Aberdeen PM me before you come. That way if we feel the same way again we can both hide behind the curtains together and at least have some company and a laugh about it.

Sounds like a good plan! We'd better nick one of the boxes of chocolate as well, before hiding, so we can have some chocolate therapy, too!:D

In fact, I had rather a lot of chocolate therapy last night..... Thanks Franck! And ice cream, too!! :drool:

I guess if anyone was feeling a little below par being surrounded by "shiny happy people" doesn't always help.

if it happens to you after dancing for so long I don't feel so bad with it happening to me after 2 weeks and 2 lessons!

here.. have another couple :hug: :hug:

I think a lot of people feel like that from time to time, but most people just put a brave face on, or do like me: Go and cry behind a curtain or in a toilet cubicle!

And don't 'shiny happy people' really annoy you sometimes! :rolleyes: :wink:

LM :hug: :hug:

spindr
18th-June-2006, 08:54 PM
Useful meme that may help:

Why be paranoid? People will only be watching the good dancers.

The problem is that you end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy -- you feel that you aren't having a good dance, so you don't ask anyone, so the dance gets "worse", etcetera, etcetera. Catch that thought early and *ask people* to dance, until you get a dance -- and you may still end up with a reasonable evening.

SpinDr.

Beowulf
18th-June-2006, 09:26 PM
Useful meme that may help:

Why be paranoid? People will only be watching the good dancers.

I like that one. Mind you I'm one of these guys who singularly support the self help book trade. Looking over my shoulder I can see Instant Confidence, Change your life in 7 days, I can make you thin (all my Paul McKenna) The definitive handbook of body language, The NLP Workbook and NLP for dummies. And that's not counting the many more I have on other shelves!

I know how I should be thinking.. but it doesn't work like that. Which is one of the main reasons I went to Ceroc in the first place.. to build my confidence and lower my nervousness. I just tried to run before I was ready..

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 10:01 PM
The problem is that you end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy -- you feel that you aren't having a good dance, so you don't ask anyone, so the dance gets "worse", etcetera, etcetera. Catch that thought early and *ask people* to dance, until you get a dance -- and you may still end up with a reasonable evening.

Asked lots of people to dance, and after about 90% of the dances I felt that my dancing was just completely awful (even with some of my favourite dancers, who I normally have a great time with!). I did keep trying, was even on the floor for the very last dance. But it didn't make me feel any better.

ducasi
18th-June-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Beowulf,

One of the people there Said that he thought I was being brave going to a party so soon.. guess I wasn't as brave as I thought.. Oops, was that me?! :blush:

I sent you a PM, but in case any other novice dancers are reading...

If you've got the time and patience, you should read the report I wrote of my first experience of a freestyle, after five lessons...

It starts here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=112754#post112754), but the bulk of it in a few posts down from there...

After that it took till I'd been dancing about three months before I ventured out to a party again (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120722&postcount=9)...

So don't worry about it... I really know how you feel. :hug:

I'm not up to the standard of so many of the guys who were there on Saturday night (:worthy:) but I know that at least some girls like to dance with me, and I enjoy it, so that's all that matters. :nice:

You know that there are girls (one comes to mind immediately) who enjoy dancing with you already and I'm sure you enjoy it, so don't give up – keep at it, maybe give yourself another month or two before you try another party and come the next Beach Ballroom event, I'm sure you'll be well up for it!

:cheers:

ducasi
18th-June-2006, 10:25 PM
Although I've danced jive for 5 years, I just felt like I couldn't dance at all last night. It seemed like everyone else in the room were more competent/ confident/ pretty/ having a better time than I was.:hug: :hug:

I know some people think I'm a pretty good dancer, but I have a total lack of self esteem and confidence, and last night I felt fat, ugly, lumpy and awkward. I felt I should apologise to every single person I danced with. You are more than a "pretty good" dancer – you're a great dancer and I'm one of many who love dancing with you.

No need to apologise for anything...

I've had a lousy day today, too, because of last night (also because of some of the conversations I had with dance friends, who were actually just trying to make me feel better about my dancing abilities!!!), and just feel like giving up dancing, and taking up stamp collecting as a hobby instead. Oh dear, I hope this wasn't me! :blush: If so, it looks like me and my big mouth managed to help make two people feel bad over the weekend. :sad: I'm sorry! :hug: :hug:

Early on in the evening I wasn't having a good night at all, but I really enjoyed our dances and chats. :flower:

Hope we can dance again soon. :nice:

Little Monkey
18th-June-2006, 10:31 PM
You are more than a "pretty good" dancer – you're a great dancer and I'm one of many who love dancing with you.

Thanks!:flower:

I love dancing with you, too! :hug:

Oh dear, I hope this wasn't me! :blush: If so, it looks like me and my big mouth managed to help make two people feel bad over the weekend. :sad: I'm sorry! :hug: :hug:

No, it wasn't you. I enjoyed our chats, and our dances. Also looking forward to dancing with you again soon, hopefully on a night when I'm in a slightly better/ happier frame of mind!

pmjd
18th-June-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Beowulf1970,

hope you can make it to another party sometime soon:waycool: . I know parties can be a bit overwhelming at times, I can still vivdly remember having the first ever panic attack of my life and running out of the hall at the 10th anniversary Ceroc party in Glasgow for what sounds like fairly similar reasons, seeing alot of amazing dancers and thinking I was in no way capable of doing anything.

All I can suggest is to take your time and maybe start with the monthly parties in Aberdeen as the venues are usually smaller and there will be alot more faces from your usual classes so it might be a more comfortable environment. Hopefully build up a bit of confidence:nice:

Not sure what else I can add but I know how you were feeling, I didn't always used to be the borderline dance-o-holic I'm now turning into. Originally I wanted to learn dancing for a specific event but put myself under a lot of pressure to get it right and spent a lot of time beating myself up over it. So the harder I tried the worse it got, can still remember just having to leave classes and go home because I felt so useless.

Now I suppose I approach dancing in a different way, mainly to go out and enjoy it. If i get something wrong instead of profusely apologising and get really worried I now don'y get too hung up on it, laugh it off and keep going!

Don't know if this is useful or pointless jibbering but just to let you know that your not the only one.

Cheers,
Paul

pmjd
18th-June-2006, 10:54 PM
I just wish there was somewhere I could buy a few bucket fulls of self esteem and confidence!

If you find a shop please let me know:flower:

I'm just going to repeat what I've already said but hopefully it'll stick if I say it enough times
You are a Fantastic Dancer!!!!!!

I really enjoyed our dances, especially the Tango one!:clap: :clap:

Hopefully see you on Monday if you're feeling up to it or for a little bit of Tango on Wednesday:D .

Paul:hug: :hug:

Little Monkey
19th-June-2006, 12:07 AM
Lots of stuff to make Little Monkey blush...

Thank you, Paul.:flower: :blush: :o

I enjoyed our tango, too! And you know what I've said: If you ever give up tango, I shall come and find you.... Be scared, be very scared!:devil:

Yliander
19th-June-2006, 12:44 AM
I just wish there was somewhere I could buy a few bucket fulls of self esteem and confidence!you and me both sweetie!!!!!

Little Monkey
19th-June-2006, 11:01 AM
you and me both sweetie!!!!!

Well, we will just have to keep incouraging each other, then! :hug:

fletch
21st-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Some photo's

fletch
21st-June-2006, 09:42 AM
More phot's

johnthehappyguy
21st-June-2006, 01:19 PM

Firstly sorry for disappearing so early and so invisibly. I don't know what happened but I just couldn't stay. being in a small hall with a relatively small number of dancers of all skill levels in casual clothes is one thing. but to suddenly find yourself in a massive hall with hundreds of really glamorous expert dancers . I suddenly felt intolerably self conscious and had to leave.

I'm not a social animal. I have recently (well 7 months now) had an experience that has blown what little self confidence I had and I was attending ceroc to try and claw some of it back. I guess, trying to run before I can walk is not such a good idea.

I met some REALLY nice people in Freya's I wish I could have stayed and chatted/danced with you and I'm really sorry for letting you all down. I'm utterly ashamed at myself. One of the people there Said that he thought I was being brave going to a party so soon.. guess I wasn't as brave as I thought.. :(

Sorry gadge, never even had a chance to say goodbye. and Yliander sorry I turned you down for a dance.. was having some dutch courage (and I'm supposed to be tea total) when you asked.. but it didn't work. I was just totally overwhelmed. I never finished my drink I got when I went in..

I know it's just dance.. But I have problems I need to fix that are worse than I thought. :( am a pityful excuse of a man.

Hang in there!!!!!

It is only recently that some of my closest dancing friends have told me how bad I was when I started.

Very bad.

I did persevere though, and am a lot better now.

As regards your earlier comments on dress code.

I dress up more than most blokes for parties and events. It is easy to dress down when you get there if it makes one feel more comfortable.

E.g. my first outfirt is often tie, and waistcoat.
sometimes I dance with them on for a long time, often I take them off straight away.

There are other threads where ladies have said how fantastic men look wearing (trousers I guess and ) a simple white shirt open at the neck. Or even a denim shirt.

The dancing bloke I know who has won the most competitions - Steve Lampert , the Tramp, wears Cargo pants and always dons a T shirt ( AFAI can remember )

So dance in whatever feels comfortable for you.

Keep trying, and hope to meet you sometime soon.

John:nice:

Beowulf
21st-June-2006, 01:23 PM
Or even a denim shirt.

John:nice:

Had to read that twice.. Read it as "Or even a Denim SKIRT the first time" :eek: :rofl:

Sorry.. but I don't have the legs for it. Will leave the skirt wearing to McJester and Co !

fletch
21st-June-2006, 03:04 PM
Will leave the skirt wearing to McJester

I have to say I was very impressed on Sunday evening with the way all the men had made such an effort :worthy:

McJester look wonderful in his kilt, he is very handsome and has a lovely smile.:drool:

Gadget waist coat was very smart and eye catching:waycool:

Jonnythehappyguy your photo doesn't do you justice, you looked quite different in real life.:hug:

Well done the Scottish lads :clap:

Heather
21st-June-2006, 06:34 PM
Nice to meet you on Friday in Edinburgh Fletch! :flower:
It was also lovely to see Lory there too !!:flower:

Heather
x

Night Owl
21st-June-2006, 07:12 PM
LM:hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug:

You are more than a "pretty good" dancer – you're a great dancer and I'm one of many who love dancing with you.

:respect:

I always enjoy my dances with you and you always put up with my beginners moves,and I have looked up to you ever since you came up to Inverness to help us newbies out

Keep that chin up ,we all get down from time to time

Little Monkey
21st-June-2006, 07:17 PM
LM:hug: :hug:

I always enjoy my dances with you and you always put up with my beginners moves,and I have looked up to you ever since you came up to Inverness to help us newbies out

Keep that chin up ,we all get down from time to time

Thanks!

And you know I always enjoy our dances, too! It's not the quantity of moves that counts, it's the quality, and you're turning into a very smooth and clear lead! Inverness is lucky to have you! :hug:

LM

Night Owl
21st-June-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks!

And you know I always enjoy our dances, too! It's not the quantity of moves that counts, it's the quality, and you're turning into a very smooth and clear lead! Inverness is lucky to have you! :hug:

LM
why thank you:blush: :blush:

Inverness has a lot of lovely dancers you`ll have to come up and visit again soon

Party night coming up on July !st

I hope your feeling better within yourself now:yeah:

Claire S
21st-June-2006, 08:38 PM
[SMILEY OVERLOAD] [LOVEY MODE]

Thanks to Franck & Sheena for a brilliant weekend!

Thanks to Amir for the workshops & for the dance on Saturday :worthy:
Shopping trollies :rolleyes:

Saturday night was fab!
I had lots of great dances with people I don't get to see very often, people I dance with regularly & some people I'd never danced with before.
Thanks for playing that track John.... I'd never heard it before.... couldn't believe the lyrics :really:
I had a great dance to it :D

The after party party was entertaining as usual! :D
(It's ok.... we're just experimenting!)
I was disappointed not to manage to wheedle the truth about Spanish Pancakes out of Silver Fox, but I had fun trying! :whistle:

Thanks to Sheena for an amazing set on Sunday night.
The atmosphere was really laid back & I had some wonderful dances :drool:
Really fun class from Russell with a beautiful demo :flower:
Lovely to see Fletch again.... looking amazing as usual.
Thanks to Doune for the last dance..... it's a sign! :wink:

Thanks to Freya for her hospitality after the Sunday party.... a fine alternative to the beach!
Back massage, music, chocolate, hugs & laughter.... it doesn't get much better than that!! :clap:

Thanks to Tim for the foot massage :nonexistent bliss smiley:

And thanks to the people who made the weekend that wee bit more special for me..... you know who you are :hug:

Roll on November..... [/LOVEY MODE] [/SMILEY OVERLOAD]