PDA

View Full Version : Serial queries!

Ickle Chick'n
23rd-May-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey hey, I know I'm the tech person at work but I'm not very technical so any info here would be great...!

I wanna move QuarkXpress4 off a G4 onto a G5 so I can upgrade it to Quark6 and use it on the G5. My problem...I have a disk for Quark4 but it is from another computer on the network, the disk for the version on the G4 I was moving it off has vanished! so...

If I upload the version from the disk I have will it be ok for the upgrade or will it cause conflicts, before upgrading, with the other computer on the network using the same version?

I also wondered if the serial number is tied to the disk or if it just looks for a relevant on ie. could I put the Qurak4 off the disk I have onto the G5 and then enter the serial number that went with the missing disk for the Quark4 on the computer I was taking it off...Does that make sense?

Any ideas would be cool, very confuddled ickle chick'n.

ducasi
23rd-May-2006, 05:14 PM
Hmm...

Could you use Apple's migration tool to copy all the applications from the G4 to the G5?

Anyway, if you've got the serial number for your Quark, and a disk from elsewhere, that's all you need (assuming it's the exact same version.) The serial number is not tied to the disk.

Hope this helps! :nice:

azande
24th-May-2006, 08:54 AM
Doesn't Xpress 4 have a hardware lock as well or is it just the Passport version? Also AFAIR version 4 has a floppy :eek: as first install disk...

As long as the two don't run at the same time on the network you should be ok.

Ickle Chick'n
24th-May-2006, 10:22 AM
Cheers guys, my poor ickle brain was all in knots yesterday. Someon's just told me I may not need version 4 first now as some upgrades to 6 aparently didn't need it. Passport is different yeh, You have to ring up to get an activation code for quark now though, but I got all those codes when we put it on the other computer so I will see if they're still valid. We will probably be running it at the same time on 2 computers which is why I was worried about conflict!

Floppy... what's that...?! LOL To think we used to backup to those and they hardly hold a thing now!

Ta guys, will see what happens (listen out for a large explosion when my computer blows up cos I've upset it!)

:kiss:

Ickle Chick'n
26th-May-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi chicks, incase you wanted to know...

I managed to install the quark 6 disk and it just asked for the serial number of the quark 4 I was upgrading from so wasn't a problem at all after all that, but I learned stuff anyhoo!

Ta

Lara