PDA

View Full Version : Arguments

Amir
22nd-May-2006, 04:25 PM
Have you ever wondered why there are so many (seemingly) unnecessary arguments on the forum? Especially considering that at forum gatherings, with the same people present, you don't see lots of people arguing. Check out

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0515/p13s01-stct.html

This article is about emails, but I am sure most of it is relevant to posts on a forum as well.

One of the most interesting finds was that 44% of the time people interpret e-mails incorrectly.

If this is similar on the forum, it would explain why so many innocent posts lead to such heated debates.

Anyway, if I feel a post is annoying or offensive it helps me to remember that there is a 44% chance I am mis-interpreting it.

If you are annoyed or offended by this post, do not worry, you are not mis-interpreting it. It was my intention. Or was it? Re-reading my own post I am not sure myself any more. Oh well.

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 04:44 PM
Have you ever wondered why there are so many (seemingly) unnecessary arguments on the forum? Especially considering that at forum gatherings, with the same people present, you don't see lots of people arguing. Check out

This article is about emails, but I am sure most of it is relevant to posts on a forum as well.

One of the most interesting finds was that 44% of the time people interpret e-mails incorrectly.

If this is similar on the forum, it would explain why so many innocent posts lead to such heated debates.

Anyway, if I feel a post is annoying or offensive it helps me to remember that there is a 44% chance I am mis-interpreting it.

If you are annoyed or offended by this post, do not worry, you are not mis-interpreting it. It was my intention. Or was it? Re-reading my own post I am not sure myself any more. Oh well.

I totally agree with everything said in this article and have discussed it with a few people in the past.

It's so easy to mis-interpret a post and as a result, I think this is how most arguments have started on the forum.

Not only should the person who is sending a message re-read what they have said, but the person who is reading it after should also go over it again before they jump to conclusions. Communicating via internet can be dangerous and like it says in the article, you can be landing yourself in hot water by simply rushing an e-mail say as a result of being under too much pressure. It can happen so easily.

However, whoever feels offended by what is posted should speak up in order for it to be put right.

stewart38
22nd-May-2006, 04:53 PM

I read this post 100 times

44 times I thought it was having a dig at my dead grand mother

55 times I thought it was a well reason balanced posting

1 time I thought it was about s** but that’s just me :sad:

TheTramp
22nd-May-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think that there's really that many 'arguments' on this forum.

Considering the number of posts made every day, and the diverse views of the people making them.

Apart from the occasional WUM (and the latest one seems to have left now thank goodness). Between the regular posters, I think that it's mostly good natured. I think that there's only been one thread moved to 'outside' in many months.....

Obi's Sweat Band
22nd-May-2006, 05:01 PM
I read this post 100 times

44 times I thought it was having a dig at my dead grand mother

55 times I thought it was a well reason balanced posting

1 time I thought it was about s** but that’s just me :sad:

Are you having a pop at my Nan?:mad:

Cruella
22nd-May-2006, 05:06 PM
Apart from the occasional WUM (
OK i'll ask. ???

ElaineB
22nd-May-2006, 05:17 PM

Isn't that why people insert the much loved Smilies? :nice: Knew you would like that!

Elaine

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-May-2006, 05:17 PM
OK i'll ask. ???Woman Undergoing Menstruation, obviously. I think it's a comment about PMT.

Ghost
22nd-May-2006, 05:28 PM
OK i'll ask. ???
WUM - Wind Up Merchant (Ireland)

Be Well,
Christopher

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 05:31 PM
Between the regular posters, I think that it's mostly good natured. I think that there's only been one thread moved to 'outside' in many months.....

:innocent:

Msfab
22nd-May-2006, 05:42 PM
It helps for the persons to see each others face and body language - which say a lot more than a load of just words.

Ghost
22nd-May-2006, 05:53 PM
It helps for the persons to see each others face and body language - which say a lot more than a load of just words.

Originally from here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173006&highlight=katier#post173006)

Straying OT for a moment

Regarding my posts. If anyone reads something from me that seems disrespectful, please assume that it isn't and that it's just a limitation of my ability to express myself through the medium of text. PM me back or post a reply and I'll try and express whatever my point was more clearly.

Take care,
Christopher

I miss KatieR's bunnies :tears:

Be Well,
Christopher

Baruch
22nd-May-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't think that there's really that many 'arguments' on this forum.
Oh yes there are!

Baruch
22nd-May-2006, 08:01 PM
I miss KatieR's bunnies :tears:
Must have missed those - but I like Ducasi's bunnies (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953&highlight=bunnies).
I like fuzzy bunnies. They are nice.

Piglet
22nd-May-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh yes there are!
I think you're wrong :wink:

Gadget
22nd-May-2006, 09:34 PM
That's not an argument; that's just contradiction!

{Sorry Lou :wink:}

Lou
22nd-May-2006, 09:38 PM
{Sorry Lou :wink:}
:rofl: :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-May-2006, 10:53 PM
That's not an argument; that's just contradiction!

no it isn't.

:rolleyes:

Baruch
22nd-May-2006, 11:13 PM
I think you're wrong :wink:
Well, I think you're wrong. So there.:wink:

TheTramp
22nd-May-2006, 11:24 PM
This isn't an argument! It's just contradiction!

pjay
22nd-May-2006, 11:25 PM
Sorry, I was looking for abuse...

Trousers
22nd-May-2006, 11:31 PM
Happy to oblige

Tosser!

did that help?

Look 'e wuz bleedin' askin for it I tell ya!

Trousers
22nd-May-2006, 11:33 PM
Darn I may have misunderstood 44% of PJAYs post

oops

Sorry

pjay
22nd-May-2006, 11:37 PM
Darn I may have misunderstood 44% of PJAYs post

oops

Sorry

Which 14.52 characters do you think you misunderstood ? :nice:

Baruch
22nd-May-2006, 11:54 PM
This isn't an argument! It's just contradiction!
No it isn't!

Ghost
23rd-May-2006, 12:37 AM
Must have missed those - but I like Ducasi's bunnies (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953&highlight=bunnies).
I like fuzzy bunnies. They are nice.
She ran with it for ages :worthy: signatures and all :clap: :clap: :clap:

(plus she's a lot cuter than Ducasi :awe: )

:wink:
Christopher

PS For those looking for an argument, try here (http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=3947&st=735)

ducasi
23rd-May-2006, 08:14 AM
... a lot cuter than Ducasi ... :really: :tears:

Ghost
23rd-May-2006, 12:18 PM
:really: :tears:
Re-read it ( I've just realised I made the same mistake as Dan :blush: Here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231218&postcount=22) then here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231795&postcount=29))

Oh well. He was thinking of Hayley, I was thinking of KatieR - they're both very distracting :awe: :drool: :worthy:

:wink:
Christopher

ducasi
23rd-May-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh well. He was thinking of Hayley, I was thinking of KatieR - they're both very distracting :awe: :drool: :worthy:
I've never met KatieR to make a comparison, but some people think I'm cute... um... em... Just can think who just now... :confused:

Donna
23rd-May-2006, 12:55 PM
I've never met KatieR to make a comparison, but some people think I'm cute... um... em... Just can think who just now... :confused:

Awwww Ducasi! Cute as a FUZZY BUNNY!! :nice:

Princess Fi
23rd-May-2006, 12:56 PM

you can can you? :innocent:

Rhythm King
23rd-May-2006, 03:25 PM
Not another dance style to incorporate in to MJ :eek:

Anyway I don't know which leg you're meant to kick first - any offers?:devil:

CJ
23rd-May-2006, 03:39 PM
Awwww Ducasi! Cute as a FUZZY BUNNY!! :nice:

Er, no... He goes like a buzzy bunny:whistle: :whistle:

ducasi
23rd-May-2006, 04:00 PM
What's that I read recently about freudian slips???

In other news... You up for a bit of Can-Can dancing tonight then? :D

Princess Fi
24th-May-2006, 09:20 AM
Well either the can can or some of those moves we saw on SDF's Lindy Hops last week! :na:

azande
24th-May-2006, 11:02 AM
Well either the can can or some of those moves we saw on SDF's Lindy Hops last week! :na:
You should have been to the Edinburgh class last night then...

Aleks
24th-May-2006, 11:09 AM
What's that I read recently about freudian slips???

In other news... You up for a bit of Can-Can dancing tonight then? :D

If you can persuade Scot to play the music, I'll can-can with Fi on Sat night.

Ghost
24th-May-2006, 11:49 AM
PS For those looking for an argument, try here (http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=3947&st=735)
Just in case anyone wasn't looking for an argument, or did and went :confused: at the first couple of lines, I've snipped the important stuff below. It's a group of scientists arguing basically

"Good Elf I know how we treat each other, always as gentlemen and no fear of disagreements which I hope shows that we have some intelligence. Eh! "

"You know if you really think about it many other examples. What is going on between you and Zephier is great and healthy but we have and will find that there is many things beyond our senses as well comprehension but should not evade the challenge?"

"Zephir and I have always disagreed about "details". I am sure he is well aware that I am not "down on him". This is purely an intellectual discussion. Naturally I put the argument I think is the heart of the issue."

"A healthy discussion is always very good to clarify one's ideas and we are never going to disagree on issues that we both already accept good friend. I really do not want to argue this point (as you know my heart is not in it) but as the devils advocate,"

"It is good to discuss these things and zephir is welcome as well... I would never try to exclude anything he says."

"It is great to have common goal to find answers without sarcasm. Your a breath of fresh air Good Elf, "THEY", jal, and so many lately on this site. Let the journey begin in many approaches to the truth."

"Because I have been gone so much not sure how I can give you kudos on your positive remarks for your contribution to this Phys forum. You and a few more I would love to comment on the great job that is being done."

"No problem from you view I understand and respect it"

It is possible to argue and still remain polite :worthy:

Be Well,
Christopher

Baruch
24th-May-2006, 08:27 PM
It is possible to argue and still remain polite
Yes, but where's the fun in that? :devil:

frodo
24th-May-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, but where's the fun in that? :devil:

That it becomes possible to have a proper argument ( as opposed to a shouting match ), which can be loads of fun.

Not that a shouting match cannot be fun, but when you want to have an argument ...

Baruch
24th-May-2006, 08:51 PM
That it becomes possible to have a proper argument ( as opposed to a shouting match ), which can be loads of fun.

Not that a shouting match cannot be fun, but when you want to have an argument ...
Joking aside, I agree with you. I enjoy a good debate, but if it descends into a slanging match it stops being fun.