PDA

View Full Version : How many moves do you know in Modern Jive ?

stewart38
22nd-May-2006, 03:55 PM
On a recent dance holiday a lady and I counted over ‘2 dances’ how many moves I could do

I told her I was known as a ‘8 man mover’ in some circles :sad:

We counted 24 (23 if you count the hatch back and double hatch back as one, if its not called the hatch back I know what I mean) :grin:

I now aim to be at 30 by Southport . I don’t know if ‘size’ does matter or is it more important what ‘you do’ with the moves you know ? :sad:

I guess there is a difference bewteen 'know' and 'do' as well

robd
22nd-May-2006, 04:03 PM
Not really answering the question since I don't know the answer for myself but I do find that very often I'll see another leader carry out a move on the floor which I know but have forgotten about and I will then then carry out that move with whoever I happen to be dancing with. I am not sure what this says about me other than, perhaps, I am not the most imaginative of dancers.

Robert

ps Does the Comb arm-wrestle with underarm tickle count as a move?

TheTramp
22nd-May-2006, 04:08 PM
2. But I'm half-way through learning a 3rd now.

Hoping to have that one by Southport too.

Ghost
22nd-May-2006, 04:13 PM
On a recent dance holiday a lady and I counted over ‘2 dances’ how many moves I could do

We counted 24 (23 if you count the hatch back and double hatch back as one, if its not called the hatch back I know what I mean) :grin:

I now aim to be at 30 by Southport . I don’t know if ‘size’ does matter or is it more important what ‘you do’ with the moves you know ? :sad:

I guess there is a difference bewteen 'know' and 'do' as well
I quit counting when I'd learnt over a hundred moves. But in all honesty I don't know any of them (depressingly that includes the "In and Out"). Having danced and chatted with a lot of rather understanding ladies, I found the same pattern. "Moves done well with musicallity" trumps "lots of moves". One of (actually on reflection possibly the best dance) I've had with one lady was just 5 moves - but I've never seen her smile so much :grin: (she's a great dancer!)

Actually I had a great dance with a certain silly devil on Sat and I wasn't using too many moves in that either :devil: (certainly less than your 8)

I think the problem is no-one mentions the whole musicality bit. They just say "it's better to dance a few moves well than a lot badly". Dance a few well but with no musicality and you start getting pitying / bored looks (maybe I'm just paranoid :blush: )

Hope that helps,
Christopher

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 04:16 PM
Gosh we've most probably learnt 200 odd! It's impossible to remember them all and we only use the ones that really matter for competitions. If we want to learn more, we have to rid of some in our routine.

stewart38
22nd-May-2006, 04:27 PM
Gosh we've most probably learnt 200 odd! It's impossible to remember them all and we only use the ones that really matter for competitions. If we want to learn more, we have to rid of some in our routine.

Ive probably 'learnt' 400 but remember 20ish :sad:

Is a good smile worth 50 moves ?

so :grin: and me = 74 moves :yeah:

robd
22nd-May-2006, 04:31 PM

How many do I get for :D then?

Cruella
22nd-May-2006, 04:37 PM
How many do I get for :D then?
With the noise that accompanies it, just a set of ear plugs to give to your partner!

Gladrags
22nd-May-2006, 04:43 PM
I find move acquisition is a bit of a revolving door. I have my stock 20 odd moves which I have used for ages and continue to use, but then I'll learn the odd new one and probably forget another. I hate those nights when I feel like "a two move charlie", but then I am probably being too exacting on myself.

I find that individuals are often a catalyst for remembering the old ones, be it someone I knew when I learnt it, or the teacher that taught it to me.

I guess I also like having "a signature move" which only I do (or do unusally well). Anyone else have a "signature move"?

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 04:46 PM

That's because men have the same memory span as a gold fish! :rofl: JUST KIDDING!! *runs and hides* :blush:

ducasi
22nd-May-2006, 04:56 PM
That's because men have the same memory span as a gold fish! :rofl: JUST KIDDING!! *runs and hides* :blush:

That's because men have the same memory span as a gold fish! :rofl: JUST KIDDING!! *runs and hides* :blush: Forgot you'd already said that? Within a minute? :rolleyes:

:wink:

MartinHarper
22nd-May-2006, 05:09 PM
:rofl:

Ahh, my favourite emoticon (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4792).

----

I'd guess that I have about 10 to 20 moves that I lead in the absence of any inspiration from music/partner/"audience". Partner inspiration is best of these - nothing beats the give and take of dancing well with a playfull partner.

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 05:13 PM
Forgot you'd already said that? Within a minute? :rolleyes:

:wink:

:rofl: :rofl: This has got me in tears now!! :rofl: I don't know what happened there! I could lie and say I intended on posting it twice.. but nah! I only went in to edit something and it appeared twice. Oh well.:nice:

fletch
22nd-May-2006, 05:19 PM

I have only just seen this
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stew another male line is, ist not how many move you do its how you do them :D

Is that one of the tree biggest lies:rofl:

Your a loverly mover:kiss:

Ghost
22nd-May-2006, 05:21 PM
I guess I also like having "a signature move" which only I do (or do unusally well). Anyone else have a "signature move"?
DavidJames was quite fond of the Straightjacket :devil:
Gadget is known for Gadgetising moves :cheers:
DavidB apparently stands still (but I now associate the donut with him) :whistle:
The Tramp only knows two moves so I suppose technically they're both his signatures moves :cool:
Tazmanian Devil and Dizzy ignore the laws of physics with their multiple spins :clap:
I always bow at the beginning of a dance :worthy:

Be Well,
Christopher

fletch
22nd-May-2006, 05:35 PM
I always bow at the beginning of a dance :worthy:

Be Well,
Christopher

And I talk all the way through:rofl:

LMC
22nd-May-2006, 05:37 PM
Surely, it's not how many moves that matters, it's more important how long you can make each one last? :non-existent deadpan smiley:

Trousers
22nd-May-2006, 06:09 PM

Is a good smile worth 50 moves ?

Hmmm i'm with you here S38 +20 moves for 6 years hard labour but as my smile is illusive I'm probably in the region of -30 moves.

Pooo!

:eek:

DavidB
22nd-May-2006, 06:44 PM

For the lady
Step forwards
Step backwards
Turn to the left
Turn to the right.

For the man
stand there

Gadget
22nd-May-2006, 09:15 PM
"Signature" moves, I've probably got about 20 or so that no-one else will have {or very few anyway :whistle:}. The rest of what I dance are just basic filler movements from the "basic" moves that I try and tie in with the music.

Got another couple of moves I thought up or was inspired to create from the BFG :D. I'm actually looking to drop a few moves so that it will force me to be a bit more creative - I'm falling into habitual patterns of moves and sequences. {:D:devil: In case you haven't danced with me, I really dislike being predictable on the dance floor :devil:}

Caro
22nd-May-2006, 11:37 PM
I really dislike being predictable on the dance floor :devil:}

lol :rofl:

I would NEVER have guessed... when I've 'lost' you... always know you're soon gonna come out somewhere... so I just wait :rofl:

Trousers
22nd-May-2006, 11:38 PM

For the lady
Step forwards
Step backwards
Turn to the left
Turn to the right.

For the man
stand there

Don't forget the variation on the guys move.

stand there holding up the bar!

always a good filler move methinks you must know it.

Ghost
23rd-May-2006, 01:55 AM
6 most useful advanced moves:

Travelling return
First move
Yoyo
Sway
The 'neckbreak' Baruch just described
Donut
The thing I liked most about this list is I think it lets you do all the types of musicality. I'm pretty sure it's possible to have a really good dance just using the above moves.

For the lady
Step forwards
Step backwards
Turn to the left
Turn to the right.

For the man
stand there
Ok I got to watch a fair bit of dancing recently. What I noticed was how important the clarity at the beginning of each new move was. Eg when the ladies knew they were stepping forwards they did so gracefully and with style. When they weren't so sure, they tried to buffer in some space while they tried to figure it out - sometimes, they did, sometimes they didn't and then the move really didn't look that good. What I came away with was the idea that it was actually much better just walking the lady around and letting her style it out, than doing complicated moves which while they may look more impressive on paper in reality didn't.

I guess what I'm kinda saying is it's not so much about knowing more moves as knowing more stuff about how to dance them. eg doing them smoothly, chaining them smoothly, interpretting the music, connection, keeping the beat etc. What I think CerocX was supposed to be about.

(I'm still thinking this through and so am quite happy to be corrected, or at least pointed in the right direction DavidB :cheers: )

Be Well,
Christopher

under par
23rd-May-2006, 02:33 AM
2. But I'm half-way through learning a 3rd now.

Hoping to have that one by Southport too.

Expect nothing less from a beginner :innocent:

tsh
23rd-May-2006, 09:27 AM
I seem to use at least 3 - or 6 if you count using different hands as different moves, even when I'm trying to keep it simple.

Step across, single handed bounce, man-spin. Anything else is just styling...

Sean

Gojive
23rd-May-2006, 10:18 AM
I find move acquisition is a bit of a revolving door. I have my stock 20 odd moves which I have used for ages and continue to use, but then I'll learn the odd new one and probably forget another. I hate those nights when I feel like "a two move charlie", but then I am probably being too exacting on myself.

I find that individuals are often a catalyst for remembering the old ones, be it someone I knew when I learnt it, or the teacher that taught it to me.

I think that just about sums up my take on this too. I must have learnt hundreds of moves from classes, weekenders, etc, yet I still only really use a handful of them.

Now I know that followers prefer to have a handful of moves done well/musically, but I find I get bored with my own routine by the end of a freestyle night. However, when I'm at a weekender like Camber, I seem to be much more creative - especially overnight Saturday into Sunday for some reason!

As far as signature moves are concerned, I think I have a couple.

I really must start going back to classes again, when I'm able too! :blush:

timbp
23rd-May-2006, 10:42 AM
I think that just about sums up my take on this too. I must have learnt hundreds of moves from classes, weekenders, etc, yet I still only really use a handful of them.
I often feel I've been dancing the same moves over and over, and yet I've had partners comment on my "new moves" when I hadn't consciously done any different moves. I'm starting to believe that style matters. I do the same moves I always do, but try out different styling, or experiment with different timings, and regular partners (who ought to know my entire repertoire) compliment me on trying new things, when I consider I'm just leading all the same moves.

As far as signature moves are concerned, I think I have a couple.

I have one signature move. I need to find another, as teachers are expressing interest in learning and teaching my signature move (and I can't argue as I learnt it at a public class in Sydney). But I still don't understand why I'm the only person leading it, given the universal reaction from followers is "wow! I like that!".

Merovingian
27th-May-2006, 10:13 AM
Lets see ...

I think I can get away with 9 beginners && 5 intermediate

Do 3 other intermediate ones, every once in a while (usually these are alright, but go wrong sometimes, I think it's my crappy lead)

And, there are 3 other intermediate ones that I very rarely attempt as I'm not very comfortable with 'em (and these frequently go wrong)

so that's 13 danceable and 6 more when i'm feeling a bit adventurous, and the lady i'm dancing with knows 'em too :wink:

But very frequently I find myself rotating the basic ones. Can't seem to remember _any_ of the moves if I try and think too hard, but if I let it flow ... then they come rolling in :blush:

Alice
27th-May-2006, 11:33 AM
I have one signature move.
Which one would that be?? :flower:

:hug:

Frankie_4711
27th-May-2006, 06:05 PM
~SNIP~I guess what I'm kinda saying is it's not so much about knowing more moves as knowing more stuff about how to dance them. eg doing them smoothly, chaining them smoothly, interpretting the music, connection, keeping the beat etc. ~SNIP~

:respect: :love: :awe:

There are two guys I dance with whenever I can, one has only been coming a few weeks so knows hardly any moves but does the few he does know SO WELL, and the other is obviously much more experienced, but still only dances beginner moves with a few basic intermediate moves thrown in now and then, but again is an absolute delight to dance with! Whereas someone I've been dancing with for a year and a half (who has been dancing all in all for about 10 years) is still surprising me with new moves, but he really can't do any of them very well at all (even the ones he does each and every time we dance!)

So, to coin a phrase - it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it!