PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ballroom with Amir

Vicky
18th-May-2006, 11:56 AM
This if my first thread Posted i am so nervous!!:eek: i have seen a dvd of Amir and i think he is Fab:worthy:
Has anyone ever done any of his class before so i know what to expect? :confused:
looking forward to see you all there!!

luv Vicky :hug: :flower:

Ghost
18th-May-2006, 12:12 PM
This if my first theard Posted i am so nervous!!:eek: i have seen a dvd of Amir and i think he is Fab:worthy:
Has anyone ever done any of his class before so i know what to expect? :confused:
looking forward to see you all there!!

luv Vicky :hug: :flower:
Congrats on your first thread!

I've done a few of his workshops in London recently
In terms of teaching style pretty much what you see in the dvd :clap:
Gentle, laidback, fun but insightful. :wink:

He walks a good balance in extending Ceroc technique further into :clap:without it becoming :confused:

Have fun,
Christopher

Tiggerbabe
18th-May-2006, 12:23 PM
If anyone is hoping to book onto Amir's Jango workshops then get your e-mails in fast, as there are only half a dozen places left for couples and single men.

Sheena

Piglet
18th-May-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Vicky,

I did his Beach Ballroom weekend of workshops last year and can highly recommend him!

You better get in quick though and find a man to partner you to get on the workshops as they've stopped taking single ladies and they're almost full already - so act quickly!

Best of luck :hug:
EDIT - well done Tiggerbabe, you beat me to it!

Vicky
18th-May-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi Vicky,

I did his Beach Ballroom weekend of workshops last year and can highly recommend him!

You better get in quick though and find a man to partner you to get on the workshops as they've stopped taking single ladies and they're almost full already - so act quickly!

Best of luck :hug:
EDIT - well done Tiggerbabe, you beat me to it!

Thanks.

I owe a Huge hug to sheena for getting me booked for the whole weekend!!:hug: :kiss:

so hope to see you all there!!

luv Vixster:clap: :hug:

Tiggerbabe
18th-May-2006, 12:35 PM
Not one to put the cat amongst the pigeons either :whistle: but I've already got bookings for the Beach Ballroom November weekend with Stefano and Alexandra from Tango in Action. :D

Vicky
18th-May-2006, 12:42 PM
Not one to put the cat amongst the pigeons either :whistle: but I've already got bookings for the Beach Ballroom November weekend with Stefano and Alexandra from Tango in Action. :D

OHH looks like i will need to get my skates on for that one then! hehe!:D when is bookings for blaze getting done? :whistle: i am looking forward to that:clap:

killingtime
18th-May-2006, 12:53 PM
Looking forward to going myself. Amir if a fantastic teacher :clap:. Should we have the standard viewable to all poll of: Who's Going to the Beach Ballroom {Me Me!, Nope, It's All Booked Up :tears:}?

Vicky
18th-May-2006, 01:36 PM
Looking forward to going myself. Amir if a fantastic teacher :clap:. Should we have the standard viewable to all poll of: Who's Going to the Beach Ballroom {Me Me!, Nope, It's All Booked Up :tears:}?

Me Me Me ME ME!!!!!:clap:

i can't wait!! Roll on June!!!!

xxxxx:hug: :clap:

Donna
18th-May-2006, 02:38 PM
Well this sounds like a good one to go to.. but again.. can't make it! :tears: Next time....

Caro
18th-May-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Vicky,

I'll be there for the full week-end - Amir is a fab teacher I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of the workshop! :respect:

My best friend, Emie, is also coming all the way from France especially :really: for the week-end, that is to say!

Looking forward to it now :drool: , see you there! :flower:

Caro

Bop
19th-May-2006, 09:05 AM
We can't make the Beach Ballrom, but we did do a couple of Amir's "Jive Tango" workshops in Nottingham two or three years ago. They were great fun and we still use a few of the moves, but must admit we've forgotten most of it.

Hope everyone who does go has a great time

Bop

ducasi
31st-May-2006, 02:54 PM
For those that have missed the chance to do Amir's workshops in Aberdeen next month, Franck revealed last night that the man himself will be back in Scotland at the end of July, to coincide with the party in the Albert Halls in Stirling.

You might want to get your booking in now! :)

pmjd
31st-May-2006, 03:31 PM
Will be my first workshop in a while and decided to not do things by half measures and do the lot:whistle:.

Have seen Amir teach at Southport a couple of years ago and remember him being very good and very funny, I didn't take part as it looked too much for me at the time but now..here goes.

Just hope the Tango lessons I've been doing will be of some help for Jango:blush: .

Will also be good to meet a few of you forumites (hope the spelling's right) there.

Piglet
31st-May-2006, 06:35 PM
Pmjd - you will have a ball I am sure!
Look forward to meeting you too... now to look into Stirling in July ... hmmmm!:D

pmjd
1st-June-2006, 12:39 AM
Like the pun Piglet:D

Just curious, how long have you been dancing in Aberdeen for? Used to live in Aberdeen and first learned to dance there, stopped going around two years ago. So just wondering if I know you already:waycool:

Will look forward to meeting you all the same!

The original post said look forward to a dance but realised I don't know if Piglet was male or female, and although I do the leading bit (I hope) I've only tried following a couple of times with very mixed results. Will probably try and give following another go though but not in a class, trying to imagine who would be more surprised:what: , the women who I'd be in rotation with or the blokes I would end up dancing with:rofl:

DancingDee
1st-June-2006, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know if there is still tickets left for the BB party on Saturday and if there is still any female places available for any of the workshops??

Denise :flower:
xXx

pmjd
1st-June-2006, 12:08 PM
If anyone is hoping to book onto Amir's Jango workshops then get your e-mails in fast, as there are only half a dozen places left for couples and single men.

Sheena

Doesn't sound too hopeful unless you can get someone else and go as a couple. Best to get hold of Sheena quickly!

ducasi
1st-June-2006, 01:00 PM
We were told on Tuesday all workshop places have been taken. Sure there'll be tickets for the party still available though.

Gadget
1st-June-2006, 07:28 PM
The Saturday party is going to be pay at the door rather than tickets (although the workshop package gets you on the "guest list" :D)

{Or that's what I've heard anyway}

Piglet
2nd-June-2006, 12:49 PM
Just curious, how long have you been dancing in Aberdeen for? Used to live in Aberdeen and first learned to dance there, stopped going around two years ago. So just wondering if I know you already:waycool:
Hi Pmjd - I've notched up 2 years now, so we might have crossed paths before. I started in the April on the Thursday night and then quickly did the Wednesday night too. Only started the Tuesday classes about 9 months later though so if you were a Culter person then chances are we don't know each other. And yep I'm a female! Are you doing the workshops then?

Dancing Dee - great to see you are thinking about the classes and party. Hopefully they'll be able to squeeze you in if there's a space. Look forward to seeing you there (and of course before then at some point)

pmjd
2nd-June-2006, 02:57 PM
Are you doing the workshops then?

Have signed up for all four workshops and Saturday night of course:D , still don't think my body quite knows what it'll be in for though!

Not sure if I have met you, didn't really have a regular night as such but you never know. Will see you at the workshops and look forward to a dance:nice:.

pmjd
4th-June-2006, 07:36 PM
we might have crossed paths before.

Turns out I do know you Piglet, though I think the last time I saw you was at Brechin about 3-4 months ago. Will look forward to a dance:nice:.

So out of curiousity does anyone know what size the workshops will be? Size as in people numbers, before I get any posts with room measurements in them:rolleyes:

Piglet
4th-June-2006, 09:48 PM
Aha! Has the same little birdie been talking to you as has been talking to me then? :rofl:

Yep I know who you are too (I think), don't know why the St Andrews connection didn't click before - and yep I last danced with you at Brechin :D

I have no idea what the numbers for the workshops are, but I wouldn't be surpised if there was about 16 or more couples - going by last year and me trying to work out how many of us there were - I'm rubbish at estimating though.

Freya
4th-June-2006, 11:34 PM
Aha! Has the same little birdie been talking to you as has been talking to me then? :rofl:
Now who could that have been!!! :whistle:

pmjd
4th-June-2006, 11:44 PM
Now who could that have been!!! :whistle:

:D and the prize for subtlety goes to..........................

Freya
4th-June-2006, 11:45 PM
:D and the prize for subtlety goes to..........................
Errrrrrmm MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DancingDee
12th-June-2006, 05:35 PM
Is anything happening on Friday night? I heard there was a possibility of an invasion?? :confused:

fletch
12th-June-2006, 05:41 PM
Is anything happening on Friday night? I heard there was a possibility of an invasion?? :confused:
Route 66

and there will be a few of us coming up :clap: :hug: :clap: :hug:

Birlmeister
12th-June-2006, 06:43 PM
You could go for a little loosener in Brechin at the Mechanics Institute

ducasi
13th-June-2006, 12:07 AM
Some folks are going to Route 66. Others folks will be heading up to Aberdeen (some of them via Brechin.)

I'll be going to my bed early to get up on Saturday early enough to get the 7:42 train! :eek:

Freya
13th-June-2006, 10:13 AM
There was an idea ofInvading a Club in Aberdeen (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8604) on the Friday night but it seams alot of people were planning on going to Brechin! And now Route 66 in Edinburgh!

Route 66

and there will be a few of us coming up
Fletch are you also coming up to the BB? Would be fantastic to Meet you! :flower:

killingtime
13th-June-2006, 10:19 AM
There was an idea ofInvading a Club in Aberdeen (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8604) on the Friday night but it seams alot of people were planning on going to Brechin! And now Route 66 in Edinburgh!

It's about an hour in the direction we have just come from so I expect we'll give Brechin a miss. As we have already left Edinburgh I shan't be going to Route 66 either. Oh well no dancing on Friday :tears:.

Looking forward to BB though.

Dorothy
13th-June-2006, 10:46 AM
We were considering coming up for party- how much is it at the door??:)

Franck
13th-June-2006, 11:12 AM
We were considering coming up for party- how much is it at the door??:)Would be great to see you all.

Tickets are £10.00 at the door.

fletch
14th-June-2006, 03:42 PM
Fletch are you also coming up to the BB? Would be fantastic to Meet you! :flower:

I'm not sure what i'm doing really,:confused: I am stopping in Edingbough :grin: I will be out on Friday at Route 66 :clap: and i'm up for after :cheers: other commitments on the Saturday evening :what: and i'm coming to Aberdeen for the Chill on the Sunday:waycool:

I hope we get to meet :flower:

Piglet
14th-June-2006, 03:43 PM
i'm coming to Aberdeen for the Chill on the Sunday:waycool:

Excellent! Hopefully I'll be there too :D

fletch
14th-June-2006, 03:53 PM
Excellent! Hopefully I'll be there too :D
I'm not sure where Freya will be, but she has just had a challenge on the truth or dare thread:D

I hope she can do it on Sunday :devil:

Freya
14th-June-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure where Freya will be, but she has just had a challenge on the truth or dare thread:D

I hope she can do it on Sunday :devil:

I'll be there Both nights! I'll do it Sunday if You want to Judge!

fletch
14th-June-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll be there Both nights! I'll do it Sunday if You want to Judge!

Sunday it is :worthy:

I have my camera for evidence:D

Watch out Russell you might be about to loose your crown as King of the Kisses:na:

:rofl:

SilverFox
14th-June-2006, 05:05 PM
.....other commitments on the Saturday evening :what: Do tell us more Fletch.....

fletch
14th-June-2006, 05:09 PM
Do tell us more Fletch.....

You know how quirt and shy I am :D I am very private person:na:

:rofl:

You wouldn't need to ask if you had gone to Southport :whistle: :wink:

all I will say it did involve a kilt:eek:

Beowulf
14th-June-2006, 09:08 PM
maybe next time.. I would liked to have gone to the BB on sat but it's only been my 2nd lesson and my 8 moves won't go far.. (well by 8 moves I really mean 5 and a 1/2)

Hope you all have a good party perhaps the next one when I'm a little better and I've had a little more practice (puts his beginners dvd on again.. and starts leading the hoover round the living room ;) )

Piglet
19th-June-2006, 01:36 AM
Maybe this should be a new thread, however...

Just want to say what an absolutely fab weekend this has been.

Lots of scrummy dances on Friday night with John the Happy Guy :respect: and a really good workout with Lorna to her favourite tune:clap:

Amir's workshops were fantastic - can't wait to do more - but glad my feet will have had a bit of a rest before they come along. Thanks to Amir for using me to demo my question - next time I'm going to get a proper dance from you if I can :hug:

Saturday party was fantastic - even though I sat out most of it after being kicked in the class - and it was really sore, but I went for a walk along the beach to simmer down. I didn't want to dance on the crowded dance floor in case my leg was attacked again, but eventually I ventured forth and had a fantastic time. I hope I tracked down all the lovely guys who asked me for a dance whilst I was sitting nursing my leg - the night seemed to whizz once I started trying to track them all down.

Sunday party was my favourite again (surprise, surprise :wink: ) Brilliant night - fantastic music - thanks Tiggerbabe you are a star! :clap: :hug: :respect: Fantastic dancers - too many to name, but the Awesome Foursome were an absolute pleasure. Thanks to Russell for choosing me to demo - that was such a lovely surprise and a delight to do - made my night :hug: :hug:

That was the busiest Sunday night ever and although I prefer a quieter dance floor - it was perfect! Really looking forward to some more scrummy dances in Stirling next week. Making a mental note to travel down to London sometime for some more scrummy dances down there - do all he guys there dance like the awesome foursome? If so, I might just have to relocate :flower:

Only one last thing to say that will maybe encompass everything to do with this wonderful weekend:

WOW!

Dave T
19th-June-2006, 09:12 AM
Have to agree, it was a fantastic weekend. Yes it was frustrating at times, but leaning is not always easy, and thanks go out to the various partners that were so patient with me during that particular section of the class :flower:

However, for me the highlight, if I had to select just one, would have to be the "Perhaps" workshop. A brilliant two hours which flew by so fast, just a pity we could not have been taught the remainder of the routine (I know, being greedy :D )

All round fantastic weekend, now for some zzz's, just a pity I'm at work :whistle:

Dave

Gadget
19th-June-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks to Russell for choosing me to demo - that was such a lovely surprise and a delight to do - made my night :hug: :hug: :respect::flower:

Gadget
19th-June-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm still very :yawn: tired from the weekend, so please forgive a rambling post...
I don't know about everyone else, but I had a brilliant time with some amazing dances and amazing dancers. A little bit warm, but since everyone was just as soggy it didn't matter :D.

Saturday Workshops
Amir's teaching was as informative and humerous as ever ("It dosn't matter if you do it this way; just don't say you learned it here" :whistle: ) A special :worthy: to Lisa for her demoing over the weekend since she was only shown what to do almost seconds before she was showing everyone how it should be done (with style).
Lots to do with "frame" and guiding the follower, a bit about walking and weight and timing of foot placement/lead.

Saturday Party
Fab venue (as ever) :D Filled with fab people :D With jugs of iced water, chocolates and well timed Icecream provided by fab Franck :clap:
Floor was always busy, without being too crowded. Undoubtedly one of the best nights of dancing this year. :flower: and :hug: to all those ladies that made it so. I would like to single out some and give praise to those ladies... but I simply can't - every single one was brilliant :D

Sunday workshops
Change in venue, and a sticky floor smoothed out with some help (ie talc) from John. A nice couple of tango moves with the techiques of leading them thoroughly explored.
The routine bit was taught with a great emphisis on timeing and getting he moves to match the music; must be here on this beat and here on this one.
(Every time I hear that song, I expect someone to muck about with the speed now :rolleyes: )

Sunday party
If Saturday was fab, Sunday was splendiferous! Just a nice relaxed atmosphere with funky, mellow and a slight bias towards latin tracks. There weren't that many people there: the tables were never full and there was always space to dance without fear of collission {Except for that numptie who burls ladies round the floor :whistle:}. But I never got a sense of repetition - every dance was a complete one-off*, no matter if I had danced with that partner already or not. :D Splendiferous.

{*most ladies would say that about my dancing any-way, :rolleyes:, but I didn't feel any :D}

The rest
Special :respect: and :cheers: to Freya and Ozzy Tim for hospitality above and beyond. :worthy:
The beach was a little damp, but the rain was quite warm (for Aberdeen, it was positivly tropical!) and, typically, stopped when we arrived at the alternative location.

Thanks to Franck, Amir, Sheena, DDeamon, and again to all the beautiful ladies I danced with.

:flower::hug::D

Piglet
19th-June-2006, 09:12 PM
{Except for that numptie who burls ladies round the floor :whistle:}.
:rofl: You had me wondering for a bit there!

What a wonderful numpty he is though :flower:

Caro
19th-June-2006, 09:24 PM
:yeah: to what is said above...
I really had a fab week-end, and it was very special for me as my friend Emie was there: I was a bit worried at first that she might not get 'hooked' straight away by ceroc, but she did :respect: and she had a brilliant time. (:tears: she's left now and am all alone!!!) .
Thanks to all those leads for the great dances we both had all week-end long. :flower: :worthy:

My personal high was sunday night, the music was just perfect - Tiggerbabe have 1000 kisses and hugs for that, you ARE a star!!!! :worthy: :drool:

feeling a bit depressed:sad: now as usual after such a week-end, am looking forward to the next session in stirling and then southport in september :drool:

Russell Saxby
19th-June-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks to Russell for choosing me to demo - that was such a lovely surprise and a delight to do - made my night :hug: :hug:

A big thanks back at yer - I had a ball teaching and you made it sooo easy for me :flower:

ducasi
19th-June-2006, 11:52 PM
Like everyone else, I had a really fab weekend. It was good to meet a lot more forum folks, the workshops were great, and the Beach Ballroom experience is like no other.

Thanks to all involved! :cheers:

Those that care, may want to read my blog post for the weekend (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/06/19/beach-ballroom-weekend-amir-june-06/)...

:waycool:

Tiggerbabe
20th-June-2006, 12:14 AM
I had a fabulous weekend, spoiled a little by not being totally "well" yet and having to sit out any dances that were faster than 102bpm :(

That said, I got to watch all of the workshops and despite making myself arrive nearly 3 hours late for the Saturday party ( I knew if I went earlier I'd not be able to stay sitting down ) I had an amazing time with some totally incredible, slow, dances. Girls, you were so right about Dirty D :D the Suxby was incredible, Spicey was amazing and the Fox was totally on form :drool: Thanks to Dale too, what a lovely surprise.

Sincere apologies to everyone I had to turn down, especially Isabelle :blush: I promise I'll make it up to you all when I'm back fighting fit :hug:

The after party party was great as usual, I'd no idea I could fit so many people into my room though :whistle: Thanks to Janet for the chocolate cake, saved my life :hug: well, that and the champagne :wink:

Sunday's party was buzzing, Russell taught a fab class and the guys all turned up early and danced all the ladies into a frenzy :) Great to see Fletch too :hug:

Huge well done to Amir, Lisa, Franck, the boys and to DD for Saturday's music. Do we really have to wait a whole month for the next one? :tears: :D

Freya
10th-July-2006, 05:34 PM
Well Finally just wrote a big blog about recent dance events and upload it on my blog!

All welcome to read it HERE (http://hyperdancer.wordpress.com/) if your really interested!