PDA

View Full Version : New Leeds Venue - a visit

ChrisU
18th-May-2006, 10:00 AM
Having been asked to DJ at the New venue in a couple of weeks time thought I should show my face and have a dance. As it was teeming down with rain I did not expect a large crowd!!

The venue is only in its second week and how refreshing to have a majority of begineers. And what a nice crowd. Not afraid, even in the second week to tap people up for a dance. (we need begineers). And the support of many of the regular yorkshire dancers to balance up the evening was great.

I didn't get to sit down all night and as an unfit DJ am I paying the price today

Nice set from young DJ Charlie and good quality teaching from Jodie and demonstrator Richard. This is going to be a great success which is credit to Ann and Robs hard work in getting it going. I am looking forward to the 31st may and 7th June when I get to spin the discs.

Wednesdays, Queens hall, Leeds. Great Dance floor and plenty of room. Bar with friendly staff that were genuinly interested in the customers (thats a novelty). And all important - Its a nice area of Leeds with no fear of car damage etc.

Oh I forgot to mention - its only 1/4 mile from where I live so when not working I can finally get some learning and dancing done.

Now to try out Hyde on Friday if I can fix my damn car. (advert - Fiat for sale - Does not work)

DJ Chris Uren:wink:

Rhythm King
18th-May-2006, 11:26 AM
advert - Fiat for sale - Does not work

Fix It Again Tony :rolleyes:

Good luck with the dancing though

R-K :cheers:

Gus
18th-May-2006, 01:43 PM
This is going to be a great success which is credit to Ann and Robs hard work in getting it going.Anr the fact that its about 5 minutes away from the long-established Blitz clubs has no relevance at all I'm sure :wink: :whistle: Isn't/Wasn't Charlie the DJ for Blitz (his Mum was the Blitz franchisee wan't she - just resigned???). Coincidence upon coincidence. :rolleyes: [On8 smells another scoop :rofl: ]

azande
18th-May-2006, 01:52 PM
And I can smell stale...

angelique
18th-May-2006, 11:55 PM
Nice set from young DJ Charlie and good quality teaching from Jodie and demonstrator Richard. This is going to be a great success which is credit to Ann and Robs hard work in getting it going. I am looking forward to the 31st may and 7th June when I get to spin the discs.

DJ Chris Uren:wink:
:yeah:

That is brill to read cos I introduced Jodie to Ceroc...go girl!!

Carry on guys, sounds like you got the beginnings of a great night!
Chris, give her my love won't ya?

:respect:

ChrisU
19th-May-2006, 01:56 AM
Anr the fact that its about 5 minutes away from the long-established Blitz clubs has no relevance at all I'm sure :wink: :whistle:

Gus you ought to work for one of the nationals. They speculate too much as well. This leeds area venue has been on the cards for some time before Blitz started to implode. Leeds can easily take more exposure I am sure.

By the way what is the latest Blitz gossip in the Leeds Area.

Chris U :wink:

Gus
19th-May-2006, 12:43 PM
Gus you ought to work for one of the nationals. They speculate too much as well. This leeds area venue has been on the cards for some time before Blitz started to implode. Leeds can easily take more exposure I am sure.Not speculation, fact. Don't think Ann and Rob would be too happy if an independent operator set up in direct competition to one of their venues:rolleyes: The debate about hard-nosed business tactics (i.e. moving in to exploit a market developed by another operator) has taken place elsewhere ... so I won't go over it again.

As for 'Blitz imploding' ... isn't that a bit slanderous? They've lost ONE venue, thats it ... unless you know more than I do:cool: As far as I know, Blitz still is the dominant force in Leeds ... for what thats worth.

To put things in perspective, Ann and Rob have indeed put a lot of hard effort in to develop MJ in their neck of the woods and for that they deserve the success they have had. Personally I just find it sad that this latest move could cause some conflict.

ChrisU
19th-May-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Gus

I take your point, but these are businesses with people making business decisions. I am sure that many business set up in competition in many fields and survive quite amicably. Thats the way of the world isn't it.

They dont fight about it or cause conflict. They just compete and I firmly believe thats there is plenty to go around. I would hope that if Blitz felt there was scope for a club where there is one already, or nearby, they would set up based on sound business principles. Nice to have a debate. Stimulates the brain.

On another subject, must have a chat with you about some music stuff. let me know where you will be working in the near future!

Chris U :wink: