PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Swing vs Ballroom Jive?

Jayne
25th-March-2003, 12:25 PM
Question for you...

I was watching the video from last year's Camber and there was an East Coast Swing section. Can someone tell me if there is a difference (and if so what the difference is) between East Coast Swing and Ballroom Jive? From what I could see on the video the basic of the ECS was a rock step, triple step, triple step, which is what I learnt as Ballroom Jive.

Just wondering...

Anyone?

Jayne
:nice:

DavidB
25th-March-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
I was watching the video from last year's Camber and there was an East Coast Swing section. Can someone tell me if there is a difference (and if so what the difference is) between East Coast Swing and Ballroom Jive? From what I could see on the video the basic of the ECS was a rock step, triple step, triple step, which is what I learnt as Ballroom Jive. East Coast Swing is a more generic term for styles of swing dance that are based on a side-step/side-step/rock-step action. (eg traditional Rock'n'Roll, jitterbug, 6-count lindy etc.) It can be done as a single step, a tap-step, a step-tap, or a triple step. It is called East Coast Swing to differentiate it from West Coast Swing.

Ballroom Jive is just a particular style of East Coast Swing. Being a Ballroom dance, there is a very defined timing, style and syllabus.

For more details look at the excellent StreetSwing (http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/d5timlne.htm) history of dancing.

David

Jayne
25th-March-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks David - I knew you'd come to the rescue!

(BTW - are you going to London? I must meet you sometime...)

Jayne

TheTramp
25th-March-2003, 01:59 PM
Ummm. He doesn't have to go to London. He lives here all the time.

Or were you meaning a more specific part of London, like for example the Ceroc champs?? :D

Steve

DavidB
25th-March-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
BTW - are you going to London? I must meet you sometime...I should be going to watch the Ceroc Championships - I look forward to having a few dances with you then. (But not Ballroom Jive - my knees object to working that hard!)

David

Jayne
25th-March-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I should be going to watch the Ceroc Championships - I look forward to having a few dances with you then. (But not Ballroom Jive - my knees object to working that hard!)

David

Fantastic - see you then!

Jayne

Wendy
27th-March-2003, 12:58 AM
And Jayne ... you owe me one after Blackpool, remember... so please share the heros with the other girls in the class...

Wxxx