PDA

View Full Version : Joining alone?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-May-2006, 02:37 PM
After reading some posts on the forum and thinking about conversations I have had with various people at Ceroc it got me thinking. How many of you forumites joined Ceroc by yourselves, and do you think there is a big difference between joining by yourself, or joining with a friend? Some people have told me that they thought I was quite brave for coming myself, but for me it was not a big deal. I will try to make a good poll but i'm very tired and my grammer is not up to much today :sad:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-May-2006, 02:42 PM
Damn forgot to make it multiple choice, can a moderator please fix? :flower:

wayaay bird
13th-May-2006, 03:48 PM
I joined with a friend but she often couldnt make it so i started going on my own.
I found that i made a lot more friends when i went on my own as i made more of an effort to talk to people and as people where so friendly i would never be standing on my own. so I think it does make a big difference whether you are alone or with friends.

Ghost
13th-May-2006, 05:22 PM
I came on my own - which is fairly usual for me. It's the Richard Bach thing - I'm happier quietly walking out when it's just me. As it happened I enjoyed myself and stayed :cool:

Oh and looking at the poll, WayaayBird,
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

:flower:
Christopher

Lyns
13th-May-2006, 06:40 PM
i think ceroc is very user-friendly for new folk coming on their own...when i joined by myself 2 wks ago i found everyone very welcoming. i think its a combination of a room full of strangers, plus being completely out of your comfortzone in doing something youve never done before that makes it a bit daunting for folk. overall it depends on your personality i guess

jive_me
13th-May-2006, 07:36 PM
I joined with a friend, but it wasn't to her taste so I ended up going by myself after my second week. For a little while I sat by myself feeling very nervous and shy but eventually I was 'adopted' into one of the many friendly groups. Now I have my friends at dancing I think I prefer going by myself...if that makes sense...

xXx:flower:

linny lou!
13th-May-2006, 09:32 PM
i think its a combination of a room full of strangers, plus being completely out of your comfortzone in doing something youve never done before that makes it a bit daunting for folk. overall it depends on your personality i guess

i agree :rolleyes: i still find it quite daunting as iv missed dancing for a few months due to uni exams and quite nervous about goin back.The last event i attended was a party and didnt really know any1 :( :blush:

frodo
13th-May-2006, 10:07 PM
...do you think there is a big difference between joining by yourself, or joining with a friend? .

Yes - no witnesses. If it all turned out to be a terrible mistake:-

Ceroc :confused: - never heard of it :whistle:

Baruch
13th-May-2006, 10:38 PM
I started on my own, but it was Le Roc, not Ceroc. It was pretty scary, but I enjoyed it so I went back.

Piglet
14th-May-2006, 03:37 AM
I joined with a friend and have gone for that option in the poll.

However, I wouldn't say that it was strictly true that I wouldn't have tried it otherwise - simply the friend got the tickets from watching a busk and then it was decided we'd do it. I may have decided at a later date to try it on my own and it wouldn't have been an issue, but having a friend who was also interested meant I met ceroc earlier than I otherwise would have.

Frankie_4711
14th-May-2006, 12:06 PM
I joined by myself and although daunting (room full of strangers, not knowing what to expect etc) it wasn't a problem - I tend to do lots of things by myself anyway as I don't know many people with the same interests as me.

I have since taken a few people along (none of whom have kept going!:confused: ) and find that, as I feel responsible for them, I can't dance as much as I would like to and therefore my evening isn't as enjoyable as it could be - so I'm glad that I go alone and am free to do whatever I like whenever I like without any guilt that I'm abandoning or ignoring anyone!

But everyone was so friendly I've got people I can talk to if I want to now.:flower:

Alice
15th-May-2006, 12:13 AM
I joined by myself and although daunting (room full of strangers, not knowing what to expect etc) it wasn't a problem - I tend to do lots of things by myself anyway as I don't know many people with the same interests as me.

I have since taken a few people along (none of whom have kept going!:confused: ) and find that, as I feel responsible for them, I can't dance as much as I would like to and therefore my evening isn't as enjoyable as it could be - so I'm glad that I go alone and am free to do whatever I like whenever I like without any guilt that I'm abandoning or ignoring anyone!

But everyone was so friendly I've got people I can talk to if I want to now.:flower:
I guess the first time I went to Ceroc I went with friends- but it was a one-off, so I don't really count that. When I started properly it was a few months later- it was entirely my own decision to go, and while one of my friends said she'd come along, she bailed out at the last minute and never came again. It was difficult making myself go that first night, but once I actually got there and started dancing, there was no looking back:) I too have dragged a few people along at various times, but they're never particularly interested in coming back.

TheTramp
15th-May-2006, 09:53 AM
I got dragged along. Kicking, screaming and resisting all the way.

I still scream and resist. But I don't do the kicking much these days. :rolleyes:

TiggsTours
15th-May-2006, 10:39 AM
I started on with a friend, I really didn't want to go at all, I only went along to keep her happy! Ten years later I'm still going a few nights a week, she goes once in a blue moon!

Although I wouldn't have gone on my own, that is only because I had a totally different picture in my head of what it would be like (I imagined your type-cast ballroom set up, with pensioners in flouncy dresses and flat caps), if I'd known then what it was really like, I would definitely have gone along on my own!

Dizzy
15th-May-2006, 01:07 PM
I joined with a friend but she dropped out after a couple of weeks. I decided to persevere and now I am really grateful that I did as I think that in some ways it was better that I ended up going on my own as I would not have had the courage to make new friends and ask people to dance.

Cruella
15th-May-2006, 01:29 PM
I too joined with a friend, but she used to be sick when she was spun (not on the dancefloor):sick: So she soon gave it up. I was hooked from the first night so persevered, i was actually quite shy back then, so was a bit uncomfortable for a few weeks, but the people were so friendly and they brought me out of my shell! I've been to so many venues on my own since and don't mind it at all. It is nice to have company on the long journeys though.:D

Tessalicious
15th-May-2006, 04:48 PM
I picked the second option, as it is closest to the truth, but with 20/20 hindsight I can safely say I am so glad I came on my own the first time. That's because when I started out I was terribly shy (:blush: ) and would not have ventured outside my group of friends had I gone with one. As it was, I forced myself to make friends on my first night, and when those friends or I moved on, it wasn't so scary going to on my own or to a different venue because I had done it before. And btw, can I just name and shame the one responsible for me enjoying and wanting to improve my Ceroc from day 1 - Rhythm King. Without him, I'd still be a little wallflower (honest :innocent: ).

Chicklet
15th-May-2006, 05:09 PM
I joined the other Le-side :devil: as was dragged along one night by my parents who have been dancing for many, many years....I thought it was OK, but nothing special and I went along sporadically.....until I went to my first free-style night, which was an early Route 66 and I mostly sat and watched with my mouth open. Bill and Fran were there doing a lot of what they do best, Ayrshire Leroc doesn't go in for a lot of blues so I hadn't seen that before....but I knew I wanted to :waycool: . Was also blown away by the music as I had only dreamed that there might be a little spot of Gorgie that was channeling the staff dance room at Kellerman's :wink: ...and I've been carrying watermelons to halls all over ever since :whistle:

Donna
16th-May-2006, 02:17 PM
Well having danced for over 10 years now, I decided to try something different and went along to Ceroc with my ex boyfriend. Been hooked on it since (obviously) and he's still doing it too, but down in Milton Keynes. Must say, his style has certainly improved so they must be doing something right down that way! :rofl:

firefly
17th-May-2006, 10:09 AM
I've only recently started ceroc, but I tend to do a lot of things on my own anyway (eg going to the cinema, the theatre, eating out etc), so to me going alone was never an issue. I still found it daunting at first, but found everyone so friendly I was soon put at ease. :nice:

I'm interested though in what people have said about taking friends along. I'm trying to persuade some of my friends to come too - I'm almost evangelical about ceroc at the moment! But I can see that I'd feel responsible for making sure they had a good time, and therefore not enjoy myself as much as if I was there alone and making an effort to talk to people and ask for dances. Not sure what the solution is :confused:

janey
17th-May-2006, 08:33 PM
I started 6 months ago with a couple of friends from work & I must admit that I would have been too nervous to try it on my own as I'm not a particularly confident person. Since then I have become evangelical about Ceroc trying to get everyone I know or meet to come & give it a go. :D

The wonderful thing about Ceroc is that after just a few weeks I stopped worrying whether my 'work friends' were there or not as I had made so many great new friends.

Mich Mosh
18th-May-2006, 12:16 AM
:respect: :respect:I joined a local MJ class with a friend after splitting up from a long relationship and was bored...plus I had for about 2 years been looking for a class on the right day and time! I must admit it is more fun, more adictive than any man !:rofl: :rofl: I then decided to go to a Creoc workshop and gain confidence as i hardly danced coz I wouldn't ask for a dance!! So I went to the workshop on my own...then freestyles on my own.....then a weekender (not on my own) and Four months on am TOTALLY BESOTTED:kiss: with MJ. Now I could only say I would go to any Ceroc class or freestyle in the country especially after finding this website! Wouldn't you all??!!:clap: :clap:

DancingDee
19th-May-2006, 12:15 AM
I joined with my ex boyfriend after I saw a street busk and dragged him along. We split up but I still wanted to go but never had the courage to go on my own. Now I've roped my auntie into coming with me! I don't think you meet different people when you go as a couple, and you don't try either coz you've got someone with you! But now she's having trouble making it!! I really really want to go but I'm too shy! :blush: I try every week but bottle out at the last minute! I must try to meet new people when I go with her so when she can't go, I feel comfortable enough to go! :grin:

I think you just have to take the bull by the horns and just go for it - maybe I should listen to my own advice!! :flower:

Gadget
21st-May-2006, 11:11 PM
Please come along - :flower:
I think that most 'groups' of people you see sitting together are actually made up of people who have met in Ceroc and just recognise each other from the last time: Give it a week or two and you won't feel like you are going alone - you may be entering on your own, but you will be meeting people you know there. :D :waycool:

Caro
22nd-May-2006, 12:34 AM
I joined with my ex boyfriend after I saw a street busk and dragged him along. We split up but I still wanted to go but never had the courage to go on my own. Now I've roped my auntie into coming with me! I don't think you meet different people when you go as a couple, and you don't try either coz you've got someone with you! But now she's having trouble making it!! I really really want to go but I'm too shy! :blush: I try every week but bottle out at the last minute! I must try to meet new people when I go with her so when she can't go, I feel comfortable enough to go! :grin:

I think you just have to take the bull by the horns and just go for it - maybe I should listen to my own advice!! :flower:

Don' worry and just come along! Most people do come on their own anyway!

I might have been in that busk you are refering to :blush: , so if you recognise me just come and say hello! I dance in peterculter on tuesdays and jumping jacks on wednesdays (usually come for the freestyle).

See you soon :flower: :clap:

Freya
22nd-May-2006, 10:41 AM
I was taken along to LeRoc by my friend in Glasgow about a year ago but when I came back up to aberdeen I was too scared to go on my own to Ceroc! Then in November the same friend was going to the Saturday BB Party and sujested I come along with her after I split with my boyfriend!!! I loved it! I met a couple of people at the party so going along to the classes although completely nerve wracking wasn't quite as scary! Thanx to the lovely people up here I soon got caught up in the crowd! Now I think nothing of going to things on my own although I'm still really nervous!!! Ceroc is a wonderful Confidence booster!

beeble42
26th-May-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey.

My name's Steph. I'm thinking of joining alone as I've always wanted to learn to dance and I know none of my friends will want to go.

...Few Questions though ...

I'm 16 - is this a problem? Are there any age restrictions?

I live in Stirling - any users here who attend classes in Stirling?
Just wondering if there will be many people there of my age? It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't - just wondering if I would fit if it was mainly older dancers?

Also, I'm a complete beginner and will most likey be an absolute eyesore at first - are classes really difficult?

Right...I think I've asked enough questions!!
Any help would be much appreciated.

pjay
26th-May-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey.

My name's Steph. I'm thinking of joining alone as I've always wanted to learn to dance and I know none of my friends will want to go.

Just wondering if there will be many people there of my age? It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't - just wondering if I would fit if it was mainly older dancers?

Also, I'm a complete beginner and will most likey be an absolute eyesore at first - are classes really difficult?

Well at this end of the world you'd generally be fine - may just have to watch out for any licensed venues that may not be able to let you in... other than that no worries - we even had a 14yo in Melbourne! :nice:

SteveK
26th-May-2006, 02:48 PM
Please come along - :flower:
I think that most 'groups' of people you see sitting together are actually made up of people who have met in Ceroc and just recognise each other from the last time: Give it a week or two and you won't feel like you are going alone - you may be entering on your own, but you will be meeting people you know there. :D :waycool:

Initially I came to Ceroc by myself so that if things went "pear-shaped", none of my friends would find out. It's worth reiterating previous comments; Gadget's comment is so true - if you watch people coming into a class/freestyle, they will generally come in individually, and then start chatting to other people they know. After the beginners' review class, why not chat to some of the other attendees, and you'll talking to people in a similar situation to you.

Incidentally, one for the grammatical pedants out there: should it be written as the beginner's class or the beginners' class?

Rebecca
26th-May-2006, 02:53 PM
After the beginners' review class, why not chat to some of the other attendees, and you'll talking to people in a similar situation to you.

Also the structure of the class means that you'll probably have to stand out for periods in a line with the other ladies waiting to move on to rejoin the class (there are usually more ladies than guys). I found that this was a great opportunity to begin to feel more comfortable, especially if you share any anxieties you may have - people like to help :flower:

Whitebeard
26th-May-2006, 04:45 PM
Incidentally, one for the grammatical pedants out there: should it be written as the beginner's class or the beginners' class?

In this instance happy to oblige:

beginner's class - beginner his/her class

beginners' class - beginners their class

So unless it's a class of one the latter's the one to go for.

Gadget
26th-May-2006, 09:27 PM
My name's Steph. I'm thinking of joining alone as I've always wanted to learn to dance and I know none of my friends will want to go. :clap: :D

I'm 16 - is this a problem? Are there any age restrictions?Most classes are run on licensed venues - and I'm not sure about the laws on that. I think that as long as you don't buy/drink alcohol, you should be OK. {?}

Just wondering if there will be many people there of my age? It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't - just wondering if I would fit if it was mainly older dancers?If you click on this thread: Poll: Poll - age of Ceroc Goers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8368) you'll get a rough idea, but it varies from venue to venue. Most folk attending have disposable income or(/and) just love to dance - Ceroc does offer a concession for students, but skint is still skint.
I wouldn't let the age range bother you - the music covers all genre from all eras, and it's the music you dance to as much as your partner.

Also, I'm a complete beginner and will most likey be an absolute eyesore at first - are classes really difficult?There are new people every week. You won't be an eyesore. MJ is the easiest form of partner dance to learn and can be learned at whatever rate you want. For some, it clicks on the first night, for others it takes a month or so before they 'get it'.
{For others; years...:whistle:}

Ask more:D

One small peice of advice; in the classes you are going to be expected to spin - don't wear stickey soled shoes.

Hope this helps, and be fore-warned; it can become addictive. (as can this forum :wink: )

Piglet
26th-May-2006, 09:43 PM
I would love if my 15 almost 16 year old son would come along and I know of 2 girls who dance in Scotland who are around that age - one started when she was 14, I'm also aware of a couple of young boys who come with their parents, I've never asked their age but I'd guess they're around about 16 too. You will get into the venues that are hotels or social clubs or sports clubs - you might be able to get into a nightclub (but I don't think its something that happens with ease, I'm simply aware that it can be done and not telling how I know :wink: )

I've never danced in the weekly night Stirling class but can highly recommend the focus workshops that Franck runs on a Sunday now and again - you might want to wait about a month before trying them, but there's a tea dance afterwards that you would be welcome to come along to. :D The next one is this Sunday - 28th!

Piglet
26th-May-2006, 09:45 PM
I must try to meet new people when I go with her so when she can't go, I feel comfortable enough to go! :grin:
Thanks for saying hello on Wednesday! It was lovely to meet you and any time you want a dance buddy then let me know :hug:

Whitebeard
26th-May-2006, 11:10 PM
{For others; years...}

And there was I; thinking you were too far away to know me. Piglet must be talking out of turn ;-)

Piglet
26th-May-2006, 11:23 PM
Mr Whitebeard you are simply delicious to dance with and I'd come all the way back down to Gloucester to dance just with you (not so sure about Cheltenham though, but I guess it's only fair to give it a second shot)

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Piglet
26th-May-2006, 11:47 PM
In this instance happy to oblige:

beginner's class - beginner his/her class

beginners' class - beginners their class

So unless it's a class of one the latter's the one to go for.
I had a tutor at college who gave a lesson in apostrophes that I thought was rather clever and easy to remember...

If you stick your finger over the apostrophe so that you can't see it (nor the s if it follows the apostrophe) then this is how you work it out:

beginner's class becomes the class that belongs to the beginner
beginners' class becomes the class that belongs to the beginners

and it also helps with phrases like:

the women's class

because then you can work out that this class belongs to the women and not the womens (cos that don't make sense):hug: :flower:

ducasi
27th-May-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm 16 - is this a problem? Are there any age restrictions? Don't think that'll be a problem – the Stirling venue is in a hotel.

I live in Stirling - any users here who attend classes in Stirling? I've been once or twice, but I'm usually found in Glasgow on a Tuesday night when the Stirling class is on.

Just wondering if there will be many people there of my age? It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't - just wondering if I would fit if it was mainly older dancers? When I was there I though the age profile was slightly on the older side, but there are some young folks I think...

Also, I'm a complete beginner and will most likey be an absolute eyesore at first - are classes really difficult? Nah, you're young and keen – you'll pick it up in no time... :)

Georgious dancer
27th-May-2006, 10:37 AM
I joined ceroc on my own and ultimatley it didn't bother me, although it did take me about 10minutes to drag myself out of the car and into the venue!

The venue that I started at (Welling which has unfortunately now closed down) was really friendly and after only standing on my own for a few moments people started to talk to me. I enjoyed myself so much on my first night that there was no way I wasn't going back.:clap:

I have never been to a venue where I haven't found the people friendly and inviting! Like others on this thread I am glad that I went on my own as it made me make an effort to get to know people, but as most people know I am a right chatterbox so even if I had been with others it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference it just might have taken be a bit longer. :rofl:

Other than learning to dance ceroc the best thing about it for me has been all the friends I have made, I wouldn't be with out them:hug: .

Twirly
31st-May-2006, 05:04 PM
None of the choices in the poll fit how I got started in Ceroc. Very first class was a sort-of-date with a guy I’d met at a party. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but had other stuff on, so didn’t get to go back for three months (and didn’t see him again apart from at Ceroc either!). When I did go back, I would have gone alone anyway, but happened to go with a friend. The first person I went with hasn’t been back, but I’ve so far shared my addiction with two friends who are now regulars and am always telling people about it! I think I should be on commission…

As for people being friendly, I suspect that this is a London thing, but in a year of dancing I wouldn’t have said that I have made any real friends at Ceroc, although I’m always saying hello to people, I never seem to get into proper conversations with them, male or female. (And this isn’t due to my being shy as I’m not generally.) However, when visiting my father last year, I went to the Swindon classes a couple of times and found people there very friendly and got “adopted” on both evenings which was great (had only been dancing for less than three months at that time too, wasn’t used to going on my own and was very nervous). I can only assume that with such a large floating population in London, it’s harder to get to know people. I’m getting a friendlier vibe these days in my regular venues (as well as more dances) as I’ve been going for a year.

I love the dancing though, so friendly vibe/friends to go with it doesn’t matter, I’ll just keep going!

beeble42
1st-June-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks very much guys for the all the advice. You've all been very helpful :)
Have decided I will give it a try next week.
I will.
honest.
YES!
I am going to do it!!

Sorry, pep talk over.

Looks like there aren't many(any?) Stirling go-ers who post on here.
Oh well, life's too short! - I'll just have to drag one of my friends along... kicking and screaming... :devil:

Beowulf
7th-June-2006, 09:06 AM
Well I (Re)Joined last night after a 2 year or so Absence. initially when I joined last time I was with a friend and my partner at the time. After my fiancee and I split 6 months ago I'd just been moping around the house so my friend (Gadget) took me along last night and I have to say it was great fun.

Gadget was demoing all last night so for the most part I was on my own and that wasn't problematic. The people were friendly, they were understanding about me being a "new" dancer (had forgotten most if not all of what I learnt last time) and I had a great time.

And I've never been described as outgoing.. if I can go by myself anyone can.

Btw... it's nice to be back ;)

Piglet
7th-June-2006, 12:58 PM
Well I (Re)Joined last night after a 2 year or so Absence.
It was absolutely delightful to have a dance with you!
Hope to see you again soon :hug:

Beowulf
9th-June-2006, 10:12 PM
Yup definately..

Just jump up and wave at me next tuesday so I know it's you ;)

LizzyL
20th-June-2006, 08:52 PM
well I'll let you know tomorrow how it went... but planning on turning up for the first time in Dundee on my own! :D

ducasi
29th-June-2006, 11:44 PM
well I'll let you know tomorrow how it went... but planning on turning up for the first time in Dundee on my own! :D
How did it go? :)

Piglet
17th-July-2006, 10:57 AM
How did it go? :)
:yeah: and were you at the fab Dundee party this weekend?

jivebunny
22nd-September-2006, 10:47 AM
I started Ceroc on my own, after moving to Nottingham on my own and it was the best thing i ever did. :clap: I have always Tap danced and wherever i moved to always found a tap school, however in Nottingham i also found Ceroc and was gutted i never heard of the Ceroc in Manchester after spending two years living there, i could have another two years of cerocing under my belt by now!

I don't think it matters about age at all. i have met some great people and its fab when people get excited about the same things as me, i.e dance, as my non dancing friends just don't get it! especially since coming back from Southport thats all i have spoken about,

i did drag one of my friends along to Ceroc a few months ago and now she is hooked also. :clap: so at least she gets what i am on about.

I also have no issues with going to freestyles on my own, obviously i prefare to go with my friends but if they can't make it, i am not going to miss out (also now that i have joined this forum, i hope to meet alot more like minded people) :nice:

bigdjiver
22nd-September-2006, 11:22 AM
This is another case where stats can deceive. They could be seen as indicating that there is nothing wrong with the "Send out a free admit one and get them along" policy.

I believe that the policy, especially when setting up a new isolated venue, is to target specific groups of people and offer them an admit 1/2. That is they can come with a friend.

The poll does not show those that never came along because they could not find someone to go with.

The sort of social groups that I would target would be businesses where there is considerable conversation time with customers, such as hairdressers. "Use this yourself, or pass it on to a customer".

Another easy target would be drama groups. This sort of group has people who like to socialise with each other, but their social cohesion is disrupted by "who has a part in the next play" considerations, and they would be glad of another place to meet, and theatre and dance are related.

If a new venue has a hall that is half empty you are not losing anything by getting people in to fill it, and the bar will be glad of the revenue. If those people are natural communicators it should pay big dividends.

jiver
22nd-September-2006, 03:00 PM
I was dragged along kicking and screaming by a friend. :blush: I had never danced before he persuaded me to give it a try and I am so glad he did. Jive has given me so much pleasure over the last seven or so years.

I think that Jive has a great setup so that you can come alone or with friends and both ways will equally provide you with a good time.

sidney
22nd-September-2006, 04:08 PM
I came across ceroc six years ago when Iwas working in Australia so went for about six week but then I came back to England, and did not get started again till after I split from someone that I then decided to give it a go again which was about three years ago. I took a friend a couple of times but they were not keen but by then it did not matter as everyone was friendly, and I made two good friends who I see outside the dance venues. I was down in Bournmouth this summer at my daughter's and I went to a free-style on my own and got a lot of good dances. It was Kinson I think thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome.:cheers:

Gav
22nd-September-2006, 04:48 PM
I joined with a freind who's already been going about 3 months with a partner from the start.
It was her enthusiasm and the fact that I thought a lot of her that got me to try it and I haven't stopped since.
I do try a lot of new stuff on my own, but I never would have tried dancing on my own.

Jhutch
19th-October-2006, 10:47 AM
I started with three friends. However, i am the only one who is still going - the two girls have both been once each since then but the bloke didn't take to it at all:sad: I actually find it better going on my own as it makes me have to talk to other people. When i was there with people i knew i was a bit reluctant to step out of the comfort zone of just talking/dancing with them:blush:

Gav
19th-October-2006, 11:11 AM
I started with three friends. However, i am the only one who is still going - the two girls have both been once each since then but the bloke didn't take to it at all:sad: I actually find it better going on my own as it makes me have to talk to other people. When i was there with people i knew i was a bit reluctant to step out of the comfort zone of just talking/dancing with them:blush:

I've been to quite a few freestyle nights completely on my own and I absolutely hate it at the start of the night. However, The first freestyle night I went to was with a group and apart from our group, I had to go and ask for dances (not neccessarily a problem). Then the first time I went to a new venue on my own, not only did I not need to ask anyone for a dance all night, but I didn't stop dancing all night either!

I think there may be a certain reluctance amongst less confident ladies to ask men in groups to dance, but a man all on his own is fair game?

purple~emma
22nd-October-2006, 11:52 AM
I joined alone, and in soem respects that mde it easier, but also more difficult.

If i'd have joined with a friend I don't think i'd have gone if they couldn't make it, i'd have felt too uncomfortable.

On the other hand, having gone on my own I felt quite nervous most of the time. I find it difficult to talk o new people adn so felt very uncomfortable when I wasn't dancing. Having said that though, my enjoyment of the dance made it so that I never considered not going, I was hooked!!!

I can even say that it wasn't until I started doing the job on the door at my venue that I actually started to make friends there. It was never anything to do with the people that go, everyone's so amazingly friendly. I'm just a nervous person when it comes to making new friends.

SeriouslyAddicted
25th-October-2006, 04:59 PM
I got divorced about two years ago and pretty soon learnt to do stuff on my own so it was not an issue for me to turn up to my first class on my own. I can understand some peoples reluctance to do it alone but can't impress on people enough how friendly every venue I have gone to is.

Leila
6th-November-2006, 07:44 PM
I joined alone as my Husband is truely not interested and all my friends jilted me!

It wasnt a problem though as everyone was so friendly and I found that I was more able to really go for it without the fear of friends making me feel selfconcious.

Leila

Tartaniad
11th-November-2006, 12:08 AM
I went along with a friend who I used to rib as being gay.He got annoyed and dragged me along.he was so determnined to be a taxi dancer even gave himself a time limit.

I went and thought hey this is ok,now im hooked and he never goes now.One year later hes nowhere to be seen and guess what im the one thats a taxi dancer..go figure?

Dai
16th-January-2007, 12:58 AM
I joined on my own - but i knew people who danced already. I fell into the catagory of people who were slightly intimidated by other dancers - especially my friends - felt that i was not good enough to dance with them for ages. Fortunately for me they wouldn't let me go for more than 3 or for dances before they insisted i danced with them again. I also ended up doing the intermediate classes at the back of the room with them as fixed partner, which improved my confidence, until i was ready to join the lines.

Because i spent so much time at the beginning with a small group it did mean it took a long time to get to know other dancers though.

Now i go to a different venue, and go alone every week, and i have a great time.

However i don't enjoy going to freestyles alone, i'm much happier going with people or meeting people there, unless it is at one of my home venues where i will know people anyway. As a newish member of the forum - i have already seen how friendly people here are, and it seems i need never worry about attending a freestyle - as there will be people there i know!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mythical
27th-January-2007, 05:56 PM
I said that i never thought it an issue, but it WAS an issue, really - it was important that I went alone. I hate to say it, but Ceroc is almost my dirty little secret - I don't think I would have enoyed it nearly as much had my 'friends' been there on the first night - I find it easier to approach people and easier to be myself without them.
When I get home to my real friends, I'll tell them about Ceroc and drag them along, but the ones here can't have it.

kikilouise
23rd-October-2007, 08:53 PM
I am thinking:wanting to join and it would be alone, gulp. will I be OK:eek:

Lost Leader
23rd-October-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum by the way.

To answer your question almost certainly yes, and in any event you wont know till you go so what are you waiting for?

pmjd
23rd-October-2007, 09:15 PM
I am thinking:wanting to join and it would be alone, gulp. will I be OK:eek:

You'll be fine, never been to an unfriendly venue yet:nice: Go and give it a go!

johnnyman
26th-October-2007, 09:20 AM
I joined Ceroc at a time in my life when I lacked confidence and friendship. It never felt important about the issue of going alone or with people. It was difficult enough at that time for me to get people to go out with me in a group to a club just for a night out, because some of my so-called then 'friends' would look for an excuse not to go with me. Even today, I go on my own a lot to weekend events or to evenings (Rebel Yell tomorrow night will be a case in point). I am not asking people to feel sorry for me because I go to venues alone. If I am making an appearance in a social arena, then that cannot be seen as being anti-social or aloof. I have spent enough time (and money) developing my social skills and confidence in the last decade to appreciate where I am in this world.

Ultimately, it is down to the individual to decide whether to do something or not. I have gained far more than I have lost through doing dancing.

I'll give you an example of what I am talking about. A few years ago, a couple of people I met through Ceroc organised a weekend away and there was a workshop going on at Hove. Myself and one other did the workshop whilst the rest went off and did the beach fun thing. This was a key moment in my development as a dancer, as it made me more competent. I haven't seen the people in ages (nor do I want to anymore), yet the workshop has becme a springboard for new experiences and friendships.

best
johnnyman

Let's Dance
26th-October-2007, 02:15 PM
I went for the "with a friend" option.

However it wasn't the fact that if i didnt go with anyone, then i wouldn't have gone atall. I went with them because they were interested and also wanted to give it ago. If it was something i was passionate about at first, then i would have just given it ago. But it was my mum that originally wanted to go, Then i got roped into giving it ago too with some other people. But yes, i still would have gone if i had to go by myself.

jinski
29th-October-2007, 01:10 AM
As for people being friendly, I suspect that this is a London thing, but in a year of dancing I wouldn’t have said that I have made any real friends at Ceroc, although I’m always saying hello to people, I never seem to get into proper conversations with them, male or female. (And this isn’t due to my being shy as I’m not generally.) However, when visiting my father last year, I went to the Swindon classes a couple of times and found people there very friendly and got “adopted” on both evenings which was great (had only been dancing for less than three months at that time too, wasn’t used to going on my own and was very nervous). I can only assume that with such a large floating population in London, it’s harder to get to know people. I’m getting a friendlier vibe these days in my regular venues (as well as more dances) as I’ve been going for a year.

I must have been lucky then as virtually all my friends in london are people who I met through Ceroc :flower:

Having moved to London, only knowing one person and having a really hard time adjusting to a new city, an office job and mon - fri 9 - 5 ( very different from hotel shifts!) I was bored and putting on tones of weight.

In Wales I'd just got into line dancing so decided that London had to have a class somewhere, in looking I found a jive class, got hooked and a few of the others suggested I went to 'Fulham on a Thursday' - the rest is history and I've made some great friends :hug:

So it is all down to Trampy as it was his jive class :cheers:

Astro
4th-November-2007, 04:38 PM
A friend of mine used to talk non stop about ceroc when we were out in a group. He went 2 or 3 times a week.

Everyone's eyes would glaze over.:sad:

Someone once told him to "shut up." :eek:

After a lot of nagging I finally agreed to go with him to ISH. No one else would go.

I became like Bob. Now there were two of us in the pub droning on about ceroc at weekends.:drool:

Then he met a girl elsewhere who hated ceroc and he stopped going. Just like that!:awe:

I'm still here.:cheers:

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2007, 05:32 PM
Then he met a girl elsewhere who hated ceroc and he stopped going. Just like that!:awe:Hate is a powerful word. She can't have meant it. He'll be back :waycool:

p.s. She probably hated somebody in Ceroc, not Modern Jive, how can you hate a dance?

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2007, 05:33 PM
I must have been lucky then as virtually all my friends in london are people who I met through Ceroc :flower:

Having moved to London, only knowing one person and having a really hard time adjusting to a new city, an office job and mon - fri 9 - 5 ( very different from hotel shifts!) I was bored and putting on tones of weight.

In Wales I'd just got into line dancing so decided that London had to have a class somewhere, in looking I found a jive class, got hooked and a few of the others suggested I went to 'Fulham on a Thursday' - the rest is history and I've made some great friends :hug:

So it is all down to Trampy as it was his jive class :cheers:Your story is just about identical to the Tramp's. Though he's lost some of the weight :whistle:

Astro
4th-November-2007, 06:06 PM
Hate is a powerful word. She can't have meant it. Well, maybe not hate, she only went once - more disliked. In any event she did not want to go a second time, and Bob prefered to see her than go dancing.

Which was amazing at the time as he was thinking of opening a franchise.
He'll be back :waycool:

His current girlfriend dances Scottish Reels in London. The last time I saw him, he still hadn't gone to the Scottish Reel classes.

He did have a cartilige operation on his knee, but it didn't seem to stop him dancing. And he still plays a lot of squash.

[/quote]

demonic_chick
26th-November-2007, 01:26 PM
i opted to join with friends but probably would have come on my own eventually.

I think wether you are with friends or not it is difficult to ask someone for a dance, and therefore get to know anyone. We have been attending for a few weeks now and find that i cannot ask the more experienced dancers for a dance for fear of looking like a complete pratt.

Although we consider to have picked it up farely well, we still need more practice.

So come on you experienced lot help us beginners out to gain more confidence. :D

Steven666
26th-November-2007, 01:46 PM

I think wether you are with friends or not it is difficult to ask someone for a dance, and therefore get to know anyone. We have been attending for a few weeks now and find that i cannot ask the more experienced dancers for a dance for fear of looking like a complete pratt.

Although we consider to have picked it up farely well, we still need more practice.

So come on you experienced lot help us beginners out to gain more confidence. :D

Pop over to Nantwich and I'll be glad too!

Miss Flicts
26th-November-2007, 03:01 PM
I was used to going to salsa on my own regularly, so I braved it and went on my own for the first time (not Ceroc; it was a local MJ outfit) but I was totally put off by the beginner's class because the teaching was pretty poor and the lack of 'correct' footwork was very weird for me as a salsa dancer. I didn't even manage to learn the first move that night, so I decided it must be much more difficult than salsa and gave up!

A couple of years later I decided to give it another go but I cheated, and learned the basic steps from a video before I went (different place)!! It all went much more smoothly that time and I haven't really gone back to salsa much since then, because the MJ crowd are much friendlier and the men are much better dancers.

Astro
26th-November-2007, 04:14 PM
I was used to going to salsa on my own regularly, so I braved it and went on my own for the first time (not Ceroc; it was a local MJ outfit) but I was totally put off by the beginner's class because the teaching was pretty poor and the lack of 'correct' footwork was very weird for me as a salsa dancer. I didn't even manage to learn the first move that night, so I decided it must be much more difficult than salsa and gave up!

A couple of years later I decided to give it another go but I cheated, and learned the basic steps from a video before I went (different place)!! It all went much more smoothly that time and I haven't really gone back to salsa much since then, because the MJ crowd are much friendlier and the men are much better dancers.

I took a female friend with a background in ballet and ballroom.

She kept asking, "What do I do with my feet?"

She was told there was no footwork.

She's the one who thought Ceroc looked like The Riverdance upside down.

Unfortunately, after the two classes she wanted to leave, and so she didn't see the better dancers dance, who come later.

Genevieve
27th-November-2007, 08:40 AM
.......for fear of looking like a complete pratt.

Think I'll pass no comment here DC :whistle:

fletch
27th-November-2007, 12:38 PM

as anyone will tell you I allways ask all the begginers, but I DON'T DO LESSONS.

I asked the more experenced dancers right from the start, thats where been brave come in,:clap: men are easy girls come on :rolleyes: a bit of flattery goes a long way, tell them youv'e been watching them and you like there moves, and althought you havn't been doing it long would they be patient and give you a dance, thats what I did. it worked.:worthy:

and I mean the best dancers not the best looking :flower:

no more secrets I won't get a dance :wink:

hey when you wear hats (and don't mention my orange one ) looking a prat on the dance floor is nothing :rofl:

Joe carn't wait to get his hand on you two :na: its only to show off cos he thinks he's 'IT' :rolleyes: I don't know where he gets his confidence from :whistle:

Genevieve
27th-November-2007, 01:27 PM
hey when you wear hats (and don't mention my orange one ) looking a prat on the dance floor is nothing :rofl:

Don't go there........I still have nightmares about the Diddy Men :rofl:

Steven666
27th-November-2007, 02:49 PM
Don't go there........I still have nightmares about the Diddy Men :rofl:

I'm seeing Ken Dodd tomorrow! :na:

knightengale
28th-November-2007, 05:03 PM

Although we consider to have picked it up fairly well, we still need more practice.

This is the problem i still have as not been just myself yet... Used to go with a friend but she can't make it any more due to study and work commitments :-(

Very nevous about going myself specifically on the free style bits but decided to start going from next Wednesday by myself as i really enjoy it and its great for my confidence .... ... I hope lol

:blush:

Twirly
28th-November-2007, 05:18 PM
This is the problem i still have as not been just myself yet... Used to go with a friend but she can't make it any more due to study and work commitments :-(

Very nevous about going myself specifically on the free style bits but decided to start going from next Wednesday by myself as i really enjoy it and its great for my confidence .... ... I hope lol

:blush:

Do make the effort. I quite often go on my own these days, and I tend to talk to people more when I do, though I also have non-forum friend whom I got with quite often too. It's nice to be able to mix and match. I also go to freestyles on my own - except that once you're on this forum, you're never on your own anywhere! :wink:

Which Aberdeen venue do you go to? I know there's a few folk on here who go there (and one who should be getting his butt back there sometime soon I believe!).

knightengale
28th-November-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will be setting my mind to go from next week. will def be my usual quiet self but hoping to change that as i unenjoy the classes, just not 100% ready with the freestyle.

I usualy go to Jumpin Jaks. I prefer the Wednesday, but been on the thursday a few times.

Thanks again :nice:

pmjd
28th-November-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will be setting my mind to go from next week. will def be my usual quiet self but hoping to change that as i unenjoy the classes, just not 100% ready with the freestyle.

I usualy go to Jumpin Jaks. I prefer the Wednesday, but been on the thursday a few times
Go for it:clap: It's always a bit scary doing freestyle at first but once you've had a few goes you'll soon wonder what you were worrying about. Plus the Aberdeen crowd are always friendly:waycool:

Which Aberdeen venue do you go to? I know there's a few folk on here who go there (and one who should be getting his butt back there sometime soon I believe!).
I'll believe that when I see it:rolleyes:

knightengale
28th-November-2007, 06:38 PM
Go for it:clap: It's always a bit scary doing freestyle at first but once you've had a few goes you'll soon wonder what you were worrying about. Plus the Aberdeen crowd are always friendly:waycool:

I'll believe that when I see it:rolleyes:

Great. Never been just myself, so sort of been hidden from the crowd. i.e freestyle was most just with who ever i took with me. . Looking forward to it though :grin:

Thanks

demonic_chick
29th-November-2007, 12:31 AM

well it's certainly obvious from last nights performance that you don't care what people think of you. :whistle:

demonic_chick
29th-November-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm seeing Ken Dodd tomorrow! :na:

you know fletch then ???:clap:

demonic_chick
29th-November-2007, 12:37 AM

Hats and boots what about knickers? or is that on another thread :D

fletch
12th-December-2007, 06:16 PM
you know fletch then ???:clap:

leave my orange hat out of it ot ill get you with my tickleing stick :wink:

Hats and boots what about knickers? or is that on another thread :D

I would just like to piont out I have started to wear Knickers:waycool:

appartently its more interesting when removing them :confused::devil: