PDA

View Full Version : BFG for beginners???

sweet succa
11th-May-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi

I am new to the fantastic world of ceroc and was hoping to ask whether going along this weekend is an ok thing to do??? I am lovin it but not sure if its ok to turn up in my current state of under-developed talent??

advice needed!

Gojive
11th-May-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi

I am new to the fantastic world of ceroc and was hoping to ask whether going along this weekend is an ok thing to do??? I am lovin it but not sure if its ok to turn up in my current state of under-developed talent??

advice needed!

Hi Sweetie :wink: , and welcome to the forum :flower:

I'd say go if you can!...you'll never be in the company of a more friendly and helpful bunch of dancers in the land :clap: Do talk to people though, and don't be afraid to ask for help :)

Minnie M
11th-May-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi Sweetie
:rofl: good pun Gojive :flower:

.......welcome to the forum :flower:
:yeah: :hug: :kiss: enjoy and welcome sweet succa - happy posting:flower:

..you'll never be in the company of a more friendly and helpful bunch of dancers in the land
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah: :worthy: :yeah:

ducasi
11th-May-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi sweet succa,

If you can still book a place for the workshops, then do so now!!!!

Both days have two or three workshops that are targeted just at you. I especially recommend Danielle's workshop on Saturday morning. She's a great dancer and she's really good with beginners!

The parties and tea-dances, especially as a lady (I assume?), will also be worthwhile for you. Just watch out for folks you think are good dancers and ask them for a dance.

See you there!

ShinyWeeStar
11th-May-2006, 11:42 PM
:yeah: to all the above. I went to the last BFG as quite a new beginner and did a day of workshops, the tea dance and, as it turned out, the party at night as well. It's a scary thought to go to something like this where there are so many experienced and talented dancers in the one place, especially when you feel like such a newbie and/or (like me) don't really know anyone, but I found that people were really friendly, the workshops were both useful and fun, it was fantastic to dance with so many new faces and no one seemed to mind that I was "just a beginner" at all. Basically it was fun from start to finish and I wouldn't have missed it for the world! :D

See you there? :wink:

drathzel
11th-May-2006, 11:49 PM
Hiya,

I am the danielle that ducasi is refering to and would love to see you at my workshop!

I went to my first bfg only 3 weeks after i had started dancing! It was well worth it. I felt over welmed at some points but i focused on the fact that i did my best for the time i had been dancing and i had a great time.

On the weekend i met some lovely dancers from different areas that became my good friends, so it really is worth it.

Also a bit of advice is to not think about your level, but just enjoy it for what it is, and if you are to shy to ask people for a dance or a bit wary (there are a few strange ones out there :rofl: ) come and find me and i will point you in the right direction and will quite happily lead you for a few too.

It would be a good idea to go to the workshops if you can, it also is a good way of meeting people so that later on that day or night you can grab them for a dance!

See you there:clap:

jacksondonut
12th-May-2006, 07:28 AM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM :flower: :flower: :flower:

I have been dancing for years and am STILL nervous about going to the BFG.... its my first time there too.. Most of the people I know will not be there, so I am trying to be brave.. :yeah: :rofl:

I have heard from many people that the welcome there is ''second to none''
and we will be in wonderful company... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Come along and join the fun, it WILL be worth it..:wink:

Jan
:cheers:

CJ
12th-May-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi, Sweet Succa.

GREAT first post. And welcome.:flower:

Like Danielle, I am hosting a workshop with beginners in mind.

FWIW, I would recommend you coming to the whole weekend, if you can get booked in.

As Drathzel will testify, you could potentially learn about 6 months worth of knowledge in that weekend, in the most amazingly friendly and helpful atmosphere.

One of the things about Ceroc that truly touches me, is that almost every single one of us remembers what it was like to be a beginner; almost every single one of us have a passion for what is a great way to express yourself and have fun and almost every single one of us is there to have a darned good time.

When we began, we would have older/better dancers giving us tips throughout a night, but it would take weeks or months for stuff to filter through. At the BFG, you have enthusiastic, friendly dancers happy to impart, share and encourage.

There are many amazing "moments" that Ceroc provides. One of which is the chance to share something, which helps another dancer progress.

I will know many of the people going to the BFG, and I know that even the "top" dancers would be absolutely delighted to share a dance with even the most inexperienced beginner.

So, in short: dive in!! Enjoy. I hope to see you for a dance.

Yours,

CJ.

TheTramp
12th-May-2006, 10:27 AM
:yeah:

What he said.

I hope to find you for a dance too :flower:

firefly
12th-May-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi

advice needed!

Sorry to crash your thread sweet succa but I'm in the same boat too, so glad to know I'm not the only one! I'm coming on my own too so feeling a bit apprehensive about it all, but sure I'll enjoy it. I did leave it a bit late to book for the Sunday workshops and now there's no space for me:sad: i'll just be coming to the tea dance and parties.

ducasi
15th-May-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi Sweet Succa – so were you there? I didn't see anyone who looked like your profile picture... :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-May-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Sweet Succa – so were you there? I didn't see anyone who looked like your profile picture... :confused:

Do you think you would have remembered someone that looked like that ? :) Perhaps thats not her real picture. Unlike my profile pic, that IS real :)

sweet succa
16th-May-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes i was there and I had an insightful experience into the ceroc world. After a thoroughly gushing welcome to the forum I was expecting to meet you all but alas none of you asked me to dance!!

I observed lots all night and thought the group dance was good... I did overhear some people being unkind saying it was all out of time with the best dancers at the back, personally I didn't agree. I also missed the guy at the front tripping - what were they talking about ???? The fun class took me back to my school days, lining up and the teacher shouting out the moves- what a laugh that was!

I loved the theme and liked the variety of the different rooms. It was so amazing seeing ceroc danced so well...I will be practicing!!!

Does anyone know what was going on at the George hotel as I saw people leave to go to that instead??

Rhythm King
16th-May-2006, 02:36 PM
I wasn't there, you say you observed lots, but did you dance with anybody? You may have danced with forumites with out realising it. Did you do any of the workshops?

TheTramp
16th-May-2006, 03:08 PM
Yes i was there and I had an insightful experience into the ceroc world. After a thoroughly gushing welcome to the forum I was expecting to meet you all but alas none of you asked me to dance!!

I observed lots all night and thought the group dance was good... I did overhear some people being unkind saying it was all out of time with the best dancers at the back, personally I didn't agree. I also missed the guy at the front tripping - what were they talking about ????

Does anyone know what was going on at the George hotel as I saw people leave to go to that instead??

Ah, well, with so many people there, it was difficult to find friends, let alone people that you don't know. Shame you didn't introduce yourself to someone, as I'm sure that a welcome would have been given then, and introductions to other people made. Dancing sometimes is accused of being cliquey. I don't think that there's anything wrong with friends wanting to sit together, and dance together. That's just natural. Anyhow, will look forward to meeting you next time! :flower:

Glad you enjoyed the routine. There probably were bits slightly out of time. But it wasn't meant to be a 'perfect' performance. It was a teaching workshop, with the opportunity to perform at the end. The whole learning time was only 10 hours. If we were doing it, say, for a competition, we'd have spent much longer together, ensuring that it was in time. As for where the people were placed, that was up to the people concerned, those that wanted to be at the back, generally were. And, as for the guy in front 'tripping', I did catch the back of Melanie's heel at one point, and stumble for a step. But sh1t happens! :rolleyes:

And many of the people who came through for the BFG would have stayed in a surrounding hotel. There was one party at the Devoncove which we went to for an hour or so on the Saturday night. Other parties would have been held in other places. I assume that's what was happening at the George Hotel. I'm way too innocent to know anything more than that! :innocent: :whistle:

TheTramp
16th-May-2006, 03:29 PM
There probably were bits slightly out of time. But it wasn't meant to be a 'perfect' performance. It was a teaching workshop, with the opportunity to perform at the end. The whole learning time was only 10 hours. If we were doing it, say, for a competition, we'd have spent much longer together, ensuring that it was in time.

I know it's bad form to quote yourself. Who cares :D

Just wanted to add that I was really pleased with the results of the workshops. Everyone worked really hard, and put in much effort, and should be really proud of what they achieved on Saturday with so little practice. :worthy:

PS. It's on the DVD! :whistle:

Tinkerbell
16th-May-2006, 03:43 PM

I observed lots all night and thought the group dance was good... I did overhear some people being unkind saying it was all out of time with the best dancers at the back, personally I didn't agree.

Hi Sweet Succa,

I don't think we have met, where do you dance?

I was at the BFG on Friday/Saturday night and probably didn't do as much dancing as I normally do. On a busy night like Saturday the men are like gold dust and you've really got get out there and grab them if you want a dance :grin:

I took part in the group routine on Sat night and it's a shame to hear that some people made 'unkind' remarks, glad to hear you didn't agree :flower:

As Trampy said we had 10 hours to learn the routine and practice, it was nowhere near perfect but I had a great time learning the routine and performing it on Sat (although my nerves got the better of me at when we walked into the hall.. my legs turned to jelly!)

Glad you enjoyed the performance and hope you had a good weekend :hug:

Gill x

cheeks
16th-May-2006, 05:21 PM
:rofl: Just to re-itterate what Steve and Tinkerbell have already said:

I danced in the cabaret with the wonderful Jamie as my partner :love: :respect: many of us learnt the routine two weeks ago in 2 4 hr workshops then a final 2 hr 1 week before others learnt routine in 4 2hr workshops with again final 2 hr a week before. 14 couples with the majority of them petrified as have never performed or competed in there life.....:flower:

I think I speak for everyone who participated in saying that we had a ball, we helped one another through out and also built new friendships with fellow ceroc lovers in the process.

Yes timing not perfect, and few issues with space but it was well worth it, so glad I didn't drink the wine prior to it though my nerves were bad enough.....:blush: ( Just as well no out takes on dvd as on one occasion it was liking being back at school when we all had to get permission to run to loo b4 hand:rofl: )

As for those who made there comments I say each to their own but as always if they are that concerned about nit picking over a team performance maybe they could do one thereselves:whistle:

We had a fabulous time and had lots of great feedback from fellow friends, Ceroc Teachers and Judges (And as quoted by our very own Mr Pownall another 15 hrs practice and would be winning material:really:) :worthy:

To top it off we were taught a fantastic routine, to a fantastic track by 2 wonderful people :clap: Melanie and Steve:hug:

To the rest of the team :awe:

:clap: :cheers: :clap:

:hug:

Cheeks x

Ps. Wine was opened immediatly afterwards:whistle: and thoroughly enjoyed:innocent:

melb
16th-May-2006, 08:44 PM
Unfortunatly cant please everyone :sad: I had a fantasic time teaching the routine with Steve, it was great fun meeting up with everyone for a couple of hours at the weekends (What a laugh :grin: ). Every single person in the performance give it 110% and I was very proud of them (and a bit emotional but dont tell anyone). Shame unkind comments were made!!

Sweet Succa - Please get yourself through to Perth (If you can) Thursday nights. It is such a good night.............. lorna is a great teacher, the music is Fab and the people are great. Hope to see you there soon. Melb :hug:

ducasi
16th-May-2006, 11:56 PM
I think I speak for everyone who participated in saying that we had a ball, we helped one another through out and also built new friendships with fellow ceroc lovers in the process. :yeah:

I've had a fab time learning, revising and performing this routine. Steve and Mel did a brilliant job putting the routine together and teaching it to us. :respect: :worthy: :clap:

Big thanks to everyone who took part, and even bigger thanks to my wonderful partner, Piglet. Great dancer, great person. :hug:

Oh, and having seen a video of the routine, I have to say that we looked damn good. :D

Ghost
17th-May-2006, 12:53 AM
I know it's bad form to quote yourself. Who cares :D
It is? Oh well.........:whistle:

PS. It's on the DVD! :whistle:
Um what dvd and how can I get hold of it?
(Never afraid to ask a stupid question :wink: )

:cheers:
Christopher

Franck
17th-May-2006, 09:48 AM
Any large event can be a bit daunting for beginners and I have tried to make the BFG as relaxed and friendly as possible. However, the Saturday party was the busiest and as it was split in 3 rooms, made dancing with everyone and introducing yourself difficult. The best plan would have been to do the full week-end as the classes were small and everyone who took part got a chance to bond with other dancers / forumites.
I hope next time you're at a party / dance event, you introduce yourself so we can have a dance! :hug:

With regards to the cabaret performance, I was truly impressed. Not only did Steve and MelB pick one of the most challenging tracks to choreograph and dance to, they also didn't pull punches and use many difficult moves and effects. The fact that so many couples (15?) managed to perform it so well with so little rehearsal time was amazing, and I would agree with Gordon, a potential competition winner! Well done guys :respect:

firefly
17th-May-2006, 03:35 PM
Well I came to most of the dances though had left it too late for the workshops. But I think just attending the dances; having the opportunity to dance with some fantastic leaders, and even just watching (open-mouthed and in awe sometimes!:wink: ) helped push me that bit further up the learning curve.

I loved the cabaret routine. I thought all the dancers were amazing, especially Steve and Mel; kudos for putting it all together. :drool: :flower: :worthy:

Having lurked on the forum for a while before joining, I do feel like I know some of you a little. But I didn't really introduce myself to anyone as a forumite as it's kind of hard to recognise folk in person. And I'm kind of shy at the best of times (it's getting better!). :nice:

I did want to say Franck, thank you for our two dances, and especially for your kind comment after our dance on Sunday night. I just hope that at some point in the future I can feel I'm half as good as some of the dancers last weekend! :clap: :clap: :respect: And that I show as much grace to beginners later on as was shown to me.

Piglet
17th-May-2006, 04:34 PM
With regards to the cabaret performance, I was truly impressed. Not only did Steve and MelB pick one of the most challenging tracks to choreograph and dance to, they also didn't pull punches and use many difficult moves and effects.
:D Oh boy! You can say that again! :D
Well done everyone in the team!
I don't really mind the criticism - it certainly doesn't stop me "Feeling Good" about our performance and I'd do it all again tomorrow and the next day ...
Way to go Mel and Steve!
Looking forward to being a part of anything else you fancy putting together :hug:

Thanks for the lovely words Ducasi (how much am I owe you?)

And looking forward to meeting you too Sweet Succa :flower:

sweet succa
17th-May-2006, 05:35 PM
I am amazed at so many replies. The criticism I overheard on Saturday was obviously not the consensus view. Its typical that one rotton apple......:tears:

I look forward to meeting you all too and getting a dance will be nice. :wink:

Lorna
19th-May-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi,

not sure if you made it to Perth last night. If you did I hope you enjoyed your evening.

As for the 'feeling good' routine. I have just watched it and it looks great. Sure, we are out of time at times but who really cares? We had a fabulous time learning it and an even better time performing it. I don't think that the comments have affected any of us in the slightest. Well done everyone. I had a fab time getting to know some of the other dancers from Scotland.

Thanks to Steve and Mel B. Fantastic routine!!

Lxx

Night Owl
21st-May-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi all

Just catching up with all the news

I had a great time at the BFG

That display from Steve and the gang was GREAT:clap: :respect:

and if people pick holes in it may be for next year they should themselves try to do it

Roll on BLAZE

as far as introductions go may be we`re gonna have to have bigger badges with both forum names and first names on and wear them at the dances too

see you all again soon

Alice
21st-May-2006, 12:23 PM
as far as introductions go may be we`re gonna have to have bigger badges with both forum names and first names on and wear them at the dances too

Yeah, aobut the only criticism I would make about hte weekend was the lack of forum names on the badges..

It would have been great to have some kind of system where everybody has a badge with both names on it, and you had to wear it all weekend. Sounds a bit dictatorial but it would really help! :flower:

ducasi
21st-May-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, aobut the only criticism I would make about hte weekend was the lack of forum names on the badges..

It would have been great to have some kind of system where everybody has a badge with both names on it, and you had to wear it all weekend. Sounds a bit dictatorial but it would really help! :flower:
At least one person did... :whistle:

Alice
21st-May-2006, 12:33 PM
At least one person did... :whistle:
And it didn't go unnoticed either!! :hug: :hug:

Plus Gadget put his forum name on but not his real one... :whistle:

Piglet
21st-May-2006, 12:45 PM
Plus Gadget put his forum name on but not his real one... :whistle:
What do you mean? Gadget is his real name! :D

McJester
21st-May-2006, 02:17 PM