PDA

View Full Version : Is "Take it Outside" a Useful thing?

Ghost
4th-May-2006, 08:30 PM
OK I personally take comfort in the fact that the 'fights' on the take it Outside thread are extremely gentle compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

But is it actually useful. It seems to generate a great deal of hositility.

The maxims of
"Don't post something you wouldn't say to someone's face"
"If you're angry wait at least 24 hours before posting"
"Remember that once you post it's there forever"

Pretty much seem to be ignored

I don't think anything has ever really gotten positively resolved.

Please don't cite specific instances when responding to this thread

Thanks,
Christopher

fletch
4th-May-2006, 08:41 PM
I think because i'm not that PC literate, well literate at all really, the 'take it outside' is a bit meaningless for me, what difference dose it matter where it is?:confused:

I didn't know what rep was unit Wittybird told me recently, probably a good job, bearing mind my introduction to the forum.:eek:

Speaking for me I say a lot less on the forum than I would face to face :whistle: I don't know about others.

Ignorence is bliss:na:

:flower:

Trousers
4th-May-2006, 09:20 PM
Ignorence is bliss:na:

:flower:

No Ignorance is just ignorance but. . . . .

Bliss is sipping champange and eating strawberries whilst sat in the park on a sunny day with someone special. Possibly listening to Jules Holland but don't quote me on that bit.

Trousers
4th-May-2006, 09:21 PM
Note to self;

Remember the Champange and strawberries for Southport!

Note end.

WittyBird
4th-May-2006, 11:09 PM
Note to self;

Remember the Champange and strawberries for Southport!

Note end.

Finally I might get to meet you :D

ducasi
4th-May-2006, 11:13 PM
There's a number of relevant factors.

"Outside" threads are supposed to get deleted after a while.
If you don't want to read these fights they're easier to avoid.
They are not visible to unregistered visitors.
Going "outside" in some way tell the participants that they're stepping over the line.

and these factors alone make it worthwhile.

(PS> I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone at Southport. :))

Tazmanian Devil
5th-May-2006, 12:35 AM
I personally think the take it outside thread is useful. It doesn't get used that often (thankfully) and the threads get deleted once inactive.
It is somewhere for the moderators to put arguments that have occured as opposed to getting rid of whatever thread it started in. :clap:

Sometimes this is not possible i'm afraid if someone is saying something that is particuarlly harmful to you or even about you then you feel you need to defend yourself. Sometimes it will get out of hand granted and once people start reading and commenting on the situation it tends to get worse and worse. :sad: I am not one for arguing and fighting but I do believe that if someone is trying to stab you in the back especially publically you have a right to defend yourself.

MartinHarper
5th-May-2006, 01:05 AM
... if someone is trying to stab you in the back especially publically ...

The point of the "stab in the back" metaphor that it's attacking someone in a way that they can't see, so they can't defend themselves. You can't stab someone in the back in public. It'd be more like stabbing them in the stomach.

DangerousCurves
5th-May-2006, 01:18 AM
Bliss is sipping champange and eating strawberries whilst sat in the park on a sunny day with someone special.

Got to disagree!

This is Bliss....

She was 1 last Monday....:nice:

Trousers
5th-May-2006, 02:16 AM
Finally I might get to meet you :D
i NEVER do finally!

There's always next time

Anyway Fletch has all the gen lol . . . . . . . . i like Fletch!

and there are people that don't think i'm worth meeting!!

Ha! i say Ha!

Sorry who are you?

am i outside
. . . . . . . cool i can say

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bollox im pisshed my jobs wank and i aint danced in ages

Sorry who were you again?

Trousers
5th-May-2006, 02:25 AM
ok ms Curves you have a great looking pussy!

i was gonna say your cat wasn't bliss . . . . . . but after the first line you may be right.

there is nothing like a happy cat that dribbles though is there!:devil:

fletch
5th-May-2006, 07:14 AM
i NEVER do finally!

There's always next time

Anyway Fletch has all the gen lol . . . . . . . . i like Fletch!

and there are people that don't think i'm worth meeting!!

Ha! i say Ha!

Sorry who are you?

am i outside
. . . . . . . cool i can say

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bollox im pisshed my jobs wank and i aint danced in ages

Sorry who were you again?

I like you to:hug: you have been a good mate:flower:

Sorry to hear the job is still no good, hang on in there something better will come along.:flower:

And a s for wittybird, you know I have this knack of attracting straight talking no nonsense, defiantly NOT up you own ar$e people, well she's one............one of life's good guy's :love: and always up for a party,:respect: and she doesn't judge people she takes 'em for what they are,:worthy: so you'll be allright:D

Bet you have a hangover:na:

:hug: :flower:

Gadget
5th-May-2006, 08:17 AM
This is Bliss.......so your pussy is bliss... I'm sure that there's a line in there somewhere :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
5th-May-2006, 09:36 AM
The maxims of
"Don't post something you wouldn't say to someone's face"
"Remember that once you post it's there forever"

Pretty much seem to be ignoredAnd these maxims come from where, exactly?

Lou
5th-May-2006, 09:51 AM
And these maxims come from where, exactly?
Ouch! :rolleyes:

I know you're a mere youngster, ESG, but in the good old days of t'Interweb thingy, there was a concept called "Nettiquette". And many of the guides to Nettiquette included the type of things that Ghost has quoted above.

L-x-

Feeling somewhat pink & fluffy this morning.

Be excellent to one another. :D

azande
5th-May-2006, 10:09 AM
Try to Google Netiquette (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Netiquette&spell=1) and you'll find places like this (http://www.albion.com/netiquette/) or this (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html) or even this (http://www.learnthenet.com/English/html/09netiqt.htm) out of 16,600,000 results. :D

Lou
5th-May-2006, 10:24 AM
Try to Google Netiquette (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Netiquette&spell=1) and you'll find places like this (http://www.albion.com/netiquette/) or this (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html) or even this (http://www.learnthenet.com/English/html/09netiqt.htm) out of 16,600,000 results. :D
Ahhh... RFC 1855... :D

Save me a dance next Friday, azande? :flower:

And back on topic - I think that this section is really useful. It's a civilised solution that acknowledges that arguments happen, allows everyone involved to have their say, and keeps it from cluttering up the main threads.

El Salsero Gringo
5th-May-2006, 10:32 AM
I know you're a mere youngster, ESG...You charmer you!
... but in the good old days of t'Interweb thingy, there was a concept called "Nettiquette". And many of the guides to Nettiquette included the type of things that Ghost has quoted above.I know all about that stuff - but who's to say they're right? Let the people doing the posting decide what maxims to follow, just as they do at the moment!

DianaS
5th-May-2006, 11:15 AM
Take it outside is kinda cool...
It marks out what is acceptible and what is really not on.
And reminds you that what you are saying is being read by hundreds of people Not just the one person who you are addressing in your mind...
And it embarrasses the hell out of you when you look around and see the company that you are in

Raphael
6th-May-2006, 08:57 AM
It is a very usefull place to cool off.

All of us in life, have those moments when we get angry and annoyed at others, and we try to vent our anger / frustration.

If we only took a moment to look at why? if we were honest with ourselves, we would normally find, that what we are angry about, is that we cannot accept, that which is also true about ourselves, but will not admit to ourselves.

So before we react as a knee jerk reaction look in the mirror and see what it is in us, that we dont like, and think about why we are reacting in this way.

If you do what you have always done, then you will get what you have always got, so do something different.

I think it was Gandi that said, in order to escape from prison you have to know you are there!

Awareness brings the ability to change, if you are not aware you can never change.

:respect: :flower:

CJ
8th-May-2006, 11:12 AM
...so your pussy is bliss... I'm sure that there's a line in there somewhere :innocent:

round about the centre?!?:innocent:

Magic Hans
13th-May-2006, 12:07 PM

there is nothing like a happy cat that dribbles though is there!:devil:

I'm glad you said 'cat' in the message above .... saying 'pussy' would have been far too risque!!

!an

fletch
13th-May-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm glad you said 'cat' in the message above .... saying 'pussy' would have been far too risque!!

!an
And Trousers is neaver risque!!:whistle: :wink:

:rofl: