PDA

View Full Version : Stevenage 17th May

stewart38
4th-May-2006, 04:43 PM
Never been there, maybe worth a visit :whistle:

-----------------

This Month
We are proud to present an incredible night at Stevenage on Wednesday 17th May. 8pm prompt!!
The winners of BBC's Strictly Dance Fever will be teaching their stunning routine and performing for you. This is something NOT TO BE MISSED!!! Venue details entry is normal class price £7

-----------------------

LMC
17th-May-2006, 10:23 PM
Never been there, maybe worth a visit :whistle:
In general, yes - Jon Brett's music :drool: - and Richard Oliver is teaching there at the moment (until Christmas IIRC). The venue has improved no end over the last few months through a lot of hard work from the venue managers Pat & Gina.

-----------------

This Month
We are proud to present an incredible night at Stevenage on Wednesday 17th May. 8pm prompt!!
The winners of BBC's Strictly Dance Fever will be teaching their stunning routine and performing for you. This is something NOT TO BE MISSED!!! Venue details entry is normal class price £7

-----------------------

UNFORTUNATELY, tonight can only be described as "poor". There were way too many women there (football?). All kudos to Joseph & Sadie for beating 80 thousand people (or however many it was) to win SDF, and they were very patient with teaching their routine. However, the routine was far too long, and not suitable for a regular Ceroc night. Sadie did most of the teaching, but my jaw dropped when she told the women to backlead the first 'connected' move. There was NO concept of the man leading any of the few connected parts of the routine. Most of it was "shines" - completely unleadable and unfreestylable. I thought the hustle was a partner/male led dance. Oh well.

The number of people who dropped out of the class was laughable. Including me, when the rotation finally evened up and my partner of the time decided to bail, I skedaddled. Most of the other taxis either did not do or did not complete the routine. I only stayed as long as I did because I was theoretically on duty - ALL the taxis were on duty. However, when it came to the freestyle, after sitting out most of the dances and immediately following my second refusal of the evening, I thought "you know what, I'm not 'fighting' for dances, I'm OUTTA here". Of course, I could have asked some of the women to dance - and did. However, with the enormous number of visitors, it was impossible to tell who was there for the first time (i.e. had never done even one beginners' lesson). Not fun.