PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc with under 10s!

Piglet
4th-May-2006, 01:05 PM
:hug: :flower: Just want to say a big, huge, ginormous thank you to
Tiggerbabe

who did a grand job teaching ceroc to 8-10 year olds at my school yesterday (as part of our health week). I got to demo, so it was a double hooray for me!:flower: :hug:

The children really enjoyed it, lots left with smiles on their faces and even the boys from the older year group who looked like they hadn't really enjoyed it said they did like it, but would have preferred if they could have danced with a mate rather than a girl! Could this be the beginning of a new-wave type ceroc?

Thanks again Tiggerbabe! Everyone is very complimentary about your teaching style and how you were so positive with the children. Some of the teachers watching liked the look of it too - you never know we might even get some of the teachers to try the adult classes.

:clap: What a great way to start the school day!:clap:

Ghost
4th-May-2006, 02:13 PM
Tiggerbabe

who did a grand job teaching ceroc to 8-10 year olds at my school yesterday (as part of our health week). I got to demo, so it was a double hooray for me!:flower: :hug:

The children really enjoyed it, lots left with smiles on their faces and even the boys from the older year group who looked like they hadn't really enjoyed it said they did like it, but would have preferred if they could have danced with a mate rather than a girl! Could this be the beginning of a new-wave type ceroc?

Thanks again Tiggerbabe! Everyone is very complimentary about your teaching style and how you were so positive with the children. Some of the teachers watching liked the look of it too - you never know we might even get some of the teachers to try the adult classes.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
If the fair lady Tiggerbabe would care to post something here, I'd be happy to give rep for services to Ceroc and generally making the world a happy place.
:worthy:

Be Well,
Christopher

Donna
4th-May-2006, 02:24 PM
Think it's a fantastic idea teaching youngsters ceroc. There should be more ceroc classes around for youngsters. Looking at one of Nicky Haslems DVDs, there are a couple of under 10's dancing on that.. and they are brilliant!! Drops, dips, the lot!! Couldn't believe my eyes!! It's so cute to watch though!!

Baruch
5th-May-2006, 12:24 AM
:respect: :respect: to Tiggerbabe for that! I tried it on a smaller scale myself once, with just three willing volunteer couples, for a school show. They did it quite well, but in the process I learned that it's a lot harder teaching MJ moves to primary school children than to adults. And this is coming from someone who teaches that age group for a living!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

ElaineB
5th-May-2006, 07:20 AM
Tiggerbabe

What a fabulous thing to do! Agreed, rep for Tiggerbabe!

Elaine

Cruella
5th-May-2006, 08:00 AM
I taught a ceroc class, in a PE lesson, in my sons school about 4 years ago. The only problem was the boys and girls refused to dance together. :rolleyes: So they just paired up with their mates.
Perhaps i should have taken New To London with me to explain how important it is to dance with the opposite sex!

Gojive
5th-May-2006, 08:01 AM
What a fabulous thing to do! Agreed, rep for Tiggerbabe!

Elaine

:yeah: More rep for TB from me too :cheers:

Perhaps if partner dance was encouraged from an early age in schools, it might result in more respect for others, later in life.

Baruch
5th-May-2006, 08:13 AM
Perhaps if partner dance was encouraged from an early age in schools, it might result in more respect for others, later in life.Have you seen Take the Lead, by any chance? :nice:

Gojive
5th-May-2006, 08:53 AM
Have you seen Take the Lead, by any chance? :nice:

:D

I have seen it, but I honestly wasn't thinking about it when I posted that...perhaps the thought was subliminally (sp?) planted in my mind? :eek:

Tiggerbabe
5th-May-2006, 05:46 PM
Ceroc in Schools is a new venture for Ceroc Scotland. Franck and I have been working since last year on this project, and are aiming to bring Modern Jive to Scottish Schools. We are working alongside local Education departments who are really keen to encourage new ideas to keep children active. Franck, unfortunately, does not have any spare time to be actively involved in visiting the schools, but that means that I get out and about more :D
It is very much in its infancy at the moment and we have many ideas to develop it further.
We have had a lot of help, encouragement and support from Ceroc HQ and in particular Mike Ellard himself :respect: and also Saffron, who helped me through my beginners training :D

The under 10s are the youngest group I have worked with, and they were absolutely brilliant :clap: once they got over the initial horror of having to touch a girl's/boy's hand :rofl: It was great to have Piglet there and she was an awesome demo :hug: The children picked up the 3 moves (taught pretty much along the same lines as a regular beginners class) really well and they were a joy to teach.

I have been working with a group of 17 to 18 year olds at a local High School and they are soon to be doing a freestyle demonstration in front of their parents :eek: Again, they were a pleasure to work with and all had a total blast dancing. Sometimes the teachers join in and the youngsters take great pleasure in being able to tell them where they are going wrong. At this school the class was taken during lunch and so attendance was optional.

:lovey warning:
I'm absolutely convinced that we should do more to get young people dancing at an early age and am delighted that I can be a part of it.

If anyone wants any further information please contact me :)

sheena@cerocscotland.com

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
5th-May-2006, 06:32 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Well done guys! That is absolutely fab. I can tell you that it is definately a good idea, I personally would have loved an opportunity like that when I was in school, my primary only taught us Ceilidh dancing...the other primary school got partner dancing though :sad: I really hope this takes off, I think it's a great idea :D Best of luck xxx

jammy
5th-May-2006, 07:14 PM
Ceroc in Schools is a new venture for Ceroc Scotland. Franck and I have been working since last year on this project, and are aiming to bring Modern Jive to Scottish Schools.

i would love to teach it at schools that would be fun!

i can remember talkin to a pals pal one night over half a year ago and i was tellin her about ceroc and she said oh i did that at school! and i was like :eek: cool would have loved 2 have lernt it at school!

brill idea keep me in mind tiggerbabe! iv u need a demo or a teacher:D
jammy

Badders
5th-May-2006, 07:44 PM
Fantastic - this really is a great idea! :clap: :clap:

B.

Lorna
6th-May-2006, 05:09 PM
before I forget,

Sheena, the head teacher from Brechin High is interested in this. Can you contact him. He knows that someone may be getting in touch with him.

Cheers,

Lxx

Jive Brummie
7th-May-2006, 06:12 PM
Bringing youth into dance is commendable IMHO so well done those involved.

And before I forget, well done to Dundee's very own Denise Maguire who has been teaching her primary 5 and primary 7 pupils dance for quite some time now:respect: :worthy:

JB x x

Yliander
8th-May-2006, 11:10 AM
Ceroc in Schools is a new venture for Ceroc Scotland. Franck and I have been working since last year on this project, and are aiming to bring Modern Jive to Scottish Schools.

*snip*

:lovey warning:
I'm absolutely convinced that we should do more to get young people dancing at an early age and am delighted that I can be a part of it.

If anyone wants any further information please contact me :)

sheena@cerocscotland.comthis is a fabulous idea - and as I am likely to have some spare time when I am in Scotland - would be happy to assist with this program :grin:

johnthehappyguy
8th-May-2006, 11:46 AM
My daughter Caitlin ( age 9 ) loves to dance MJ.

I taught her, and so far she has only danced with me.

We have been to one dance event - A Charity do' that Chalky Whyte of CPN dance company was hosting last year.

Caitlin got on well, and was thrilled when she came off the floor to a big round of applause.

It would be handy if there was somewhere that all of these dancing youngesters could strut their stuff.

Any ideas or plans for the future ?

John:nice:

jivecat
8th-May-2006, 02:50 PM
Ceroc Central will go into schools to do workshops. We haven't had them at my school yet, but I know the head is interested, so it's only a matter of time.

Dance is part of the curriculum from 5 upwards. At that age it generally consists of cavorting about pretending to be a clock, a mediaeval house or a blade of grass growing in the sunshine. :rolleyes:

Country dance is big on the agenda as well. Most of the girls in my class can do it beautifully, following the instructions, remembering the steps & generally being controlled and cooperative. The majority of the boys are a complete shambles, no coordination, oblivious to the rhythm and can only be motivated by competition. So, ready for their first Ceroc experience, I think. ( Heavy sarcasm smiley)

Donna
9th-May-2006, 06:35 PM
Country dance is big on the agenda as well. Most of the girls in my class can do it beautifully, following the instructions, remembering the steps & generally being controlled and cooperative.

I know a couple of girls who had to do country dance as part of their dancing exams at school. Always goes down well. It's very good for the memory too as there is a lot of choreographed routines involved in line.

The majority of the boys are a complete shambles, no coordination, oblivious to the rhythm and can only be motivated by competition. ( Heavy sarcasm smiley)

Nothing ever changes there then! :rofl: