PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc X category

Gadget
1st-May-2006, 09:04 PM
So what about the Ceroc X event? Was it a success? Would be interested to hear how it went, if it worked, and what people thought of it.

Ceroc X was really good. I totally admier the guys that entered this along with over catorgries It must be really difficult to only do the beginners moves Fair play to all that etered they were great!!

Mike Ellard mentioned when announcing the results that two couples had been disqualified from Ceroc X - presumably for performing illegal moves, but it wasn't clear whether it was two couples in the final, or two couples overall in the category.

Hey Guys!!! As a Ceroc X finalist (hoorahhhhh!!), I can clear this up for you.

There were 5 couples in the final as you know. 3 were placed and the other 2 were disqualified for illegal moves. Me and Craig being one of the disqualified couples. We will never know for sure where we were placed prior to disqualifcation but lots of spectators commented how it was "in the bag" when we left the floor. It's always nice to hear these comments but I don't want to take anything away from those who beat us to it as it was a very hard round indeed.

Trying to compete with Intermediate moves one round and then going into beginners was really tough as you always go to do a dramatic end with a drop or something. Musical interpretation had to all be about style rather than moves and to me, that was a challenge. But I really enjoyed this catergory. More so than the intermediates. You knew that the moves were not going to be challenging and therefore listening to and "feeling" the music was a must.........it felt kind of like when you do your own "thang" in the kitchen and you are just going with the flow.

I loved it!!!!!

We are pleased that we got through to the finals as it is a first for us! If they decide to run it again next year we will enter again. For sure.
The move that we think let us down was a first move. Instead of coming out of it with a turn, I walked out of it I think(minor point but that is what the challenge was with this round and therefore we refuse to feel robbed!). Taz might be able to explain this better. If anyone else noticed any intermediate moves please let us know what we did!

So, hats off to my wonderful Craigiebabie who lead me so well and managed to concentrate on the beginners moves so well. Love you babe

:respect: to anyone who competed in this: just wondered how fine a line there was between a "beginner" move and any other move?
Eg...
If you 'bounced' a first move so you did the step back twice - is that an intermediate move or two first moves?
Does every move have to start and end with a step back?
Do you have to put returns in-between every move?
Can that return be traveling?
:confused:

I don't envy the judging in that. :sick:

Andreas
1st-May-2006, 11:49 PM
:respect: :respect: To all participants!

As Gadget, I am rather curious how a beginner move is qualified. Considering these moves already vary between franchises, let alone countries, do the competitors get a list of permissable moves including description?

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 12:02 AM
As Gadget, I am rather curious how a beginner move is qualified. Considering these moves already vary between franchises, let alone countries, do the competitors get a list of permissable moves including description?
This was discussed in the original Champs thread.

The beginner moves do not vary between Ceroc UK franchises – or at least they shouldn't. This allows the Ceroc beginner's DVD to have not only all the moves that are taught across the country, but the same actual routines too.

The rules of the competition have a complete list of permissible moves.

Gadget
2nd-May-2006, 08:14 AM
But in order to actually contain some musicality, you must be able to vary some elements like timing - but isn't inserting a double-speed bit in a move an intermediate thing? (or half-speed)

doc martin
2nd-May-2006, 08:37 AM
Also...

...what percentage of moves do you have to do off the beat?

...how many bounces of the hand per bar are required?

...how many times per song do you have to stop and scratch your head?

...what happens when a break occurs? If you stop is that an intermediate move? Or an intemediate not move?

More seriously, I would love to have seen this. I am sure talented dancers can make even the simplest of moves look classy and I could learn a lot from watching how they do that.

Dan Hudson
2nd-May-2006, 11:57 AM
for the move to be allowed it had to have the correct structure.
eg. the first move..

step back, stee in, twist lady out.. lead lady back, turn and return. you could pause or hold for two beats but had to continue with the whole structure of the move.
This applied to all the moves allowed.

does this make sense:confused: .. hope so:flower:

it looked incredibly hard and even having just completed my beginners teacher training and dancing nothing but beginner moves for about 2 months I struggled to hold it together for an entire track.... hence I didn't enter!!!

Andreas
2nd-May-2006, 12:15 PM
How is style judged? I can think of a number of style elements that can't really be considered moves but are reasonably advanced in their execution.

Gadget
2nd-May-2006, 12:55 PM
for the move to be allowed it had to have the correct structure.
eg. the first move..

step back, step in, twist lady out.. lead lady back, turn and return. you could pause or hold for two beats but had to continue with the whole structure of the move.
This applied to all the moves allowed.

does this make sense:confused: .. hope so:flower:
Yes - a bit :D

Did it matter which foot the lead stepped back with on moves like the basket or first move?
Are the return and the step back actually part of the structure of the move?
If you put a ronde into the first move, is that still a basic move?
If you led a comb with left hand on hip instead of on top of the arm, is that still a comb?
If you led a 'push-spin', would the couple be disqualified if the follower did a double? What if they slowed it down and did a hip-wiggle turn over a couple of beats?

:rolleyes:

Dan Hudson
2nd-May-2006, 02:09 PM
Yes - a bit :D

Did it matter which foot the lead stepped back with on moves like the basket or first move? nope, either foot, probably dropped marks for it, but not disqualified
Are the return and the step back actually part of the structure of the move?yes, but linking the moves together you could lop of a return..eg before a comb to prevent 2 anti clock turns in a row.
If you put a ronde into the first move, is that still a basic move? IMHO yes
If you led a comb with left hand on hip instead of on top of the arm, is that still a comb?, yes, but as long as it is a comb, not a comb variation.
If you led a 'push-spin', would the couple be disqualified if the follower did a double? What if they slowed it down and did a hip-wiggle turn over a couple of beats? double spins and so called double returns were allowed

:rolleyes:

any use??

Ghost
2nd-May-2006, 02:22 PM
How is style judged? I can think of a number of style elements that can't really be considered moves but are reasonably advanced in their execution.
I'll have to wait for the dvd - but I assumed this was the whole point. That a skilled dancer can still use basic moves, but by applying advanced concepts make them look :worthy: . You'd have to stick with concepts eg timing, rather than movements eg rondes, though.

Otherwise it implies that the beginners moves are kinda pointless except as some kind of test to be allowed into the intermediate class
(Only when you have completed 6 weeks and can lead a first move on ricepaper without breaking it can you join the hallowed ranks of the intermediates :worthy: )

I'd be interested in what others thought the reasoning behind Ceroc X was?

Take care,
Christopher

robd
2nd-May-2006, 02:37 PM
I'd be interested in what others thought the reasoning behind Ceroc X was?

I think there was discussion on it a while back - I am sure someone nice will provide a link.

I was surprised watching CerocX to see so little use made of the cerocSpin given that it would provide opportunity for some show-off double spins for the lady (and perhaps even a spin for the man if that would be allowed?)

I think Mike Ellard was possibly a little disappointed with the field that Ceroc X drew (meaning no disrespect to those who did enter myself) as he mentioned once or twice in his voiceover during the rounds that it was open to all levels of ability and he especially wished to see more teachers entering next year.

Robert

Robin
2nd-May-2006, 03:19 PM
I was surprised watching CerocX to see so little use made of the cerocSpin given that it would provide opportunity for some show-off double spins for the lady (and perhaps even a spin for the man if that would be allowed?)

Specific allowable variations were listed on the website and a man spinning on a cerocspin is not one of them. I would also point out that the speed of the tracks used in CerocX also limited what moves you would do. Personally I wouldn't do a freespin (cerocspin) type move on a faster track... so I didn't.

If you haven't tried it, you should dance to a few fast tracks using beginners moves only - count how many times you slip up - methinks the longer you've been dancing the harder it is as your autopilot just sort of cuts in.

Bubbalou
2nd-May-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll have to wait for the dvd - but I assumed this was the whole point. That a skilled dancer can still use basic moves, but by applying advanced concepts make them look :worthy: .

Yes this was the point you are right.

Craig and I were obviously very dissapointed to get disqualified in the finals especially as we were some peoples favourites (thanks rob et al!!) But we are taking it on the chin as..........like you said..........that was the whole point!! (To only dance beginner moves) Thought I'd get some rep for that :whistle: but hey ho!!

I loved that category and I think that next year will see a very different approach to this and I doubt we will be in with any chance of winning.

I really hope that Ceroc decide to keep this in. Might I just add that Craig and I were actually more nervous dancing this category than the intermediates as the quality of dancers around us was very high. So hats off to add and congrats to those who got placed!! Not at all jelous of that cup!! :tears:

Lou xx :kiss:

Katie
2nd-May-2006, 08:57 PM
I liked the idea of this. A chance to show musicality and style, rather than moves. The way Ceroc hyped this, I was looking forward to it but I was a little disappointed by the lack of musical interpretation. (I luurve to be musical when I can!) I appreciate that the second track was extremely fast and I think that it was inappropriate for that particluar category. Awaiting to be flamed now!

Judging by the standard of the intermediate this year, I think Ceroc would benefit with a beginners/improvers category. Just a thought.

DavidB
2nd-May-2006, 10:20 PM
I wasn't too sure about it. It seemed like a war of attrition - the winner is the last to get disqualified. (The Bruce Willis competition - Last Man Standing)

I think it could develop into something really good, but not in its current format. If you want to attract beginners, then make it a beginner competition. If you want musical interpretation, then mark it 100% on interpretation. If you want a technique competition, then relax the rules more, slow down the music and let the competitors show what they can do. And if you just want a moves competition, don't allow any variations.

A competition like this is supposed to be fun, not difficult.

jezzyjj
3rd-May-2006, 02:12 AM
I liked the idea of this. A chance to show musicality and style, rather than moves. The way Ceroc hyped this, I was looking forward to it but I was a little disappointed by the lack of musical interpretation. (I luurve to be musical when I can!) I appreciate that the second track was extremely fast and I think that it was inappropriate for that particluar category. Awaiting to be flamed now!
I gather from chatting to Robin that 'Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen' was used, now seeing as if you were to employ any musicality you wouldn't jive to that track by choice, but you'd Lindy to it as it swings so nicely. I tried jiving to it, but by ignoring the rhythm, it felt like I was dancing out of time - horrid.
It's challenging only doing basic moves but using a track that that if you understood music and rhythm you wouldn't even use jive in the first place in a bit daft.
One of the main reasons I don't do competitions, stupid music choices. If I entered a rhumba competition, I wouldn't expect to hear a waltz being played.

I thought this would be an interesting category to enter as I like the basic moves and think they are undrated, but I gather the style I use to make moves look nice would disqualify me. I always step forward on a first move, not back as it's better for many reasons and a major part of my style of dancing, but one is not allowed to do that so out I'd go out within seconds.

ducasi
3rd-May-2006, 07:50 AM
I gather from chatting to Robin that 'Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen' was used, now seeing as if you were to employ any musicality you wouldn't jive to that track by choice, but you'd Lindy to it as it swings so nicely. Assuming you're one of the less than 1%* of MJ dancers who also know Lindy... :rolleyes:

I've seen MJ dancers with bags of musicality "jive" to this song without any problems.

* My estimate.

Bubbalou
3rd-May-2006, 08:06 AM
I've seen MJ dancers with bags of musicality "jive" to this song without any problems.

:yeah: Me and Craig????!!!! Or so we were told.

I thoroughly enjoyed the track. Totally!!! And it did sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I disagree that it is meant to be fun but not difficult. It was fun but the difficulty of it made it interesting. If it was easy then what would be the fun in participating or spectating?

This wasn't a beginners category, it was (I think?:confused: ) more about musciality and style.

I love to hear so many different opinions on this, it's excellent and why this forum is so fantastic!

Lou xx:kiss:

Cruella
3rd-May-2006, 08:20 AM
I really quite fancy giving this category a try. I think a stylish intermediate dancer would probably stand a better chance than an advanced dancer. The advanced dancer would find it so much more difficult to not use his 'showy' moves, whereas an intermediate will still be using a lot of the beginners moves in his freestyle dancing.

Minnie M
3rd-May-2006, 08:26 AM
I gather from chatting to Robin that 'Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen' was used, now seeing as if you were to employ any musicality you wouldn't jive to that track by choice, but you'd Lindy to it as it swings so nicely. I tried jiving to it, but by ignoring the rhythm, it felt like I was dancing out of time - horrid.
It's challenging only doing basic moves but using a track that that if you understood music and rhythm you wouldn't even use jive in the first place in a bit daft.
One of the main reasons I don't do competitions, stupid music choices. If I entered a rhumba competition, I wouldn't expect to hear a waltz being played.

As one of "the less than 1%* of MJ dancers who also know Lindy" ducasi states, I can honestly answer this.

Dancing with a MJ dancer to swing music is hard for the first 10 seconds, then you switch off and listen to your lead as well as the music - it is very challenging but also fun. You can even put the ocasional 'twist twist' in it, providing you keep to the first move and don't try and do a swing out :flower: Any good and experienced MJ dancer can adapt to any music - that's what makes them a good dancer :respect:

foxylady
3rd-May-2006, 10:51 AM
As one of "the less than 1%* of MJ dancers who also know Lindy" ducasi states, I can honestly answer this.

Dancing with a MJ dancer to swing music is hard for the first 10 seconds, then you switch off and listen to your lead as well as the music - it is very challenging but also fun. You can even put the ocasional 'twist twist' in it, providing you keep to the first move and don't try and do a swing out :flower: Any good and experienced MJ dancer can adapt to any music - that's what makes them a good dancer :respect:

:yeah: As another I concurr, and its also the reason that I would NEVER be able to enter the CEROC X comp (except maybe as a leader), because I liberally sprinkle my jive with triple steps, twist twists, sycopated footwork of other sorts if I think I can get away with it (and sometimes even when i can't), and 'footwork' would almost certainly get me disqualified....:wink:

jezzyjj
3rd-May-2006, 11:29 AM
Assuming you're one of the less than 1%* of MJ dancers who also know Lindy... :rolleyes:
* My estimate.I think the percentage may be a tad higher than 1% Ducasi, but that only underlines my point really. If the first dance of choice would be Lindy why use a fast swing tune in a Non Lindy competition. If it's a difficult track thru being a dumb, inappropriate choice, why use it? It's easy to lindy to, so why do something far less appropriate? You are having to dance in spite of the music not to it.
And if they are jiving to a swing track, how musical are they really? :rolleyes: After all they are ignoring the rhythm of the music and simply dancing to the tempo. However, if they are indeed putting in triples and charleston kicks are they actually doing jive anymore?

Dancing with a MJ dancer to swing music is hard for the first 10 seconds, then you switch off and listen to your lead as well as the music - it is very challenging but also fun. You can even put the ocasional 'twist twist' in it, providing you keep to the first move and don't try and do a swing out Any good and experienced MJ dancer can adapt to any music - that's what makes them a good dancer Hey Minnie, as a good follower you will be dancing firstly to your leads rhythm and if you were indeed a good dancer and can adapt to the music you would by choice, be doing triple steps and charleston kicks which was not allowed in this Category.
And if you have to switch off as you put it, again it underlines what I was saying. Why bother having that particular track on in the first place. It's challenging yes, so is doing a waltz to a hard rock track in 4/4 time. You agreed b4 that dancing in spite of a song and not to it was a valid point, this is precisely what I meant by that.
Minnie, your last line is simply repeating the biggest myth in Jive, it's used as a marketing tool to make people think Jive is more adaptable than it actually is. So could a 'good jiver' dance to a waltz, a salsa, to Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5'? And that's to the song and not regardless of it. Apperently the latter song was actually used in a musicality class!! No wonder this daft myth persists.

I appreciate that the second track was extremely fast and I think that it was inappropriate for that particluar category. Awaiting to be flamed now! Not while a newbie on the forum like me is here to be attacked!:what:
Though I'm not the only person here to query the wisdom of playing stuff like Lindy/swing tunes in a competition where you are not allowed to triple step in time with the music.

ducasi
3rd-May-2006, 01:07 PM
If the first dance of choice would be Lindy why use a fast swing tune in a Non Lindy competition. If it's a difficult track thru being a dumb, inappropriate choice, why use it? It's easy to lindy to, so why do something far less appropriate? You are having to dance in spite of the music not to it. As I said, I've seen people "jiving" to this music without any problems.

Just because it might be more suited to Lindy is no reason not to dance MJ to it.

In the same way as we can dance MJ to a Cha-Cha, a Rumba, or to Tango music – given a 4/4 time and a tempo we feel comfortable moving to, we can do our thang.

And if they are jiving to a swing track, how musical are they really? :rolleyes: After all they are ignoring the rhythm of the music and simply dancing to the tempo. However, if they are indeed putting in triples and charleston kicks are they actually doing jive anymore? I didn't realise that musicality revolved around footwork. In my opinion, choice and timing of moves which fit with the music is more important.

Yeah, modern jive is an adaptable dance, and you're allowed to triple step or charleston kick while still "jiving".

Minnie, your last line is simply repeating the biggest myth in Jive, it's used as a marketing tool to make people think Jive is more adaptable than it actually is. So could a 'good jiver' dance to a waltz, a salsa, to Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5'? And that's to the song and not regardless of it. Apperently the latter song was actually used in a musicality class!! No wonder this daft myth persists. As I said above, a Modern Jive dancer can dance to pretty much anything with a 4/4 time and a tempo we feel comfortable moving to. Maybe there are more appropriate dances, but yes, Modern Jive allows you room to do anything you can do in those other dances to dance to the music, and not in spite of it.

I've never tried dancing to "Take Five", but I reckon it lies within the realms of the possible...

And if I can dance MJ to a piece of music, and if both my partner and myself enjoy it, then what's the problem?

Though I'm not the only person here to query the wisdom of playing stuff like Lindy/swing tunes in a competition where you are not allowed to triple step in time with the music. As Modern Jive is taught to beginners as a dance (mostly) without footwork, I'm curious whether triple steps are actually prohibited, and why...

jezzyjj
3rd-May-2006, 01:16 PM
I didn't realise that musicality revolved around footwork.
Well seeing is the rhythm is what your feet are moving to, it's kind of fundamental.

I've never tried dancing to "Take Five", but I reckon it lies within the realms of the possible...

That says it all really.

Gadget
3rd-May-2006, 01:41 PM
And if they are jiving to a swing track, how musical are they really? :rolleyes:
Can you please define what you consider to be "Modern Jive" - I have a feeling that your definition differs quite drastically from a lot of folks.

And "Musicality" , specifically in relation to footwork - should we all be dancing to the "ceroc two step" march?

As to dancing in a specific way to specific music - why? you could do big-fish:little-fish:cardboard-box or vogue or mosh or charleston or jive to the same track. What makes one more suitable than another?

TiggsTours
3rd-May-2006, 01:46 PM
I gather from chatting to Robin that 'Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen' was used, now seeing as if you were to employ any musicality you wouldn't jive to that track by choice, but you'd Lindy to it as it swings so nicely. I tried jiving to it, but by ignoring the rhythm, it felt like I was dancing out of time - horrid.As one of "the less than 1%* of MJ dancers who also know Lindy" ducasi states, I can honestly answer this.

:yeah:
As one of the other "1%" (think you might find its alot higher than that!) I could MJ or Swing to it, depending on what my partner chose to do. If I had a really good partner in MJ to dance with, who could pick up on my interpretation of the track, as well as me picking up on his, I could have a great MJ to it! What I love about MJ is that the lack of structure leaves you so open to iterpret such great tracks in such a fabulous way! Of course, if I didn't have a great dancer in MJ, I'd be wishing I was dancing to it with a Lindy dancer!

MartinHarper
3rd-May-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't see anything in the rules (http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#cerocx) to explicitly ban "footwork" in Ceroc X, but I guess it could be classed as a "modification" to the beginner moves. How did the judges play it on the day?

----

Dancing to Take Five is challenging for both MJ and Lindy, but I don't think it's the 5/4 that does that alone. The problem is that the base-line demands a certain kind of adaptation: typically 6 beat stuff done in 5 beats, or 4 beat stuff extended to 5. Meanwhile, the melody is best danced in a fairly beat-agnostic fashion, with 10 beat phrases. Both of these are doable individually, but they're both in the same song, and things get ugly every time the melody line cuts in or out. Plus, dancing to this kinda thing shows up the tiniest of holes in lead/follow.

jezzyjj
3rd-May-2006, 05:12 PM
I have a feeling that your definition differs quite drastically from a lot of folks. Hell yes it certainly does if Take5 is considered Jivable.

And "Musicality" , specifically in relation to footwork - should we all be dancing to the "ceroc two step" march? Not at all, dance in what ever manner the music suggests.

As to dancing in a specific way to specific music - why? you could do big-fish:little-fish:cardboard-box or vogue or mosh or charleston or jive to the same track. What makes one more suitable than another?A good dancer dancers in the most appropriate way. i.e. to the music and not the tempo.
Say you a drummer in a samba band and you started playing a Batacuda rhythm [even though it may be the same tempo]you wouldn't be very popular.
A good charleston track simply makes you want to charleston and most people only jive to everything regardless, as they don't how to partner dance any other way.
When I went clubbing a lot I noticed most people danced pretty much identically to all the tracks played that night, with only the tempo varying, no matter how varied the music was. MJ is not a lot different in that respect. A few won't but, most will.

Other styles of dance don't insist you can dance to anything, they are no more limiting than MJ structurally. It just happens than MJ originated as a way of dancing to popular European music so we get a false sense of how usuable it is. As there was less swing music around so Lindy begat MJ. As the music changes MJ will change further and may end up being a different dance
Go to Latin America and I think you'll find MJ far less appropriate than here as their music is quite different.
I also think the charts contain less 'jive' music than it used to as music and music buying has changed.

jezzyjj
3rd-May-2006, 05:15 PM
Dancing to Take Five is challenging for both MJ and Lindy, ....... Meanwhile, the melody is best danced in a fairly beat-agnostic fashion, .....
:rofl: :rofl:

Nice explanation.

Minnie M
3rd-May-2006, 06:14 PM
....... Hey Minnie, as a good follower you will be dancing firstly to your leads rhythm and if you were indeed a good dancer and can adapt to the music you would by choice, be doing triple steps and charleston kicks which was not allowed in this Category.
And if you have to switch off as you put it, again it underlines what I was saying. Why bother having that particular track on in the first place. It's challenging yes, so is doing a waltz to a hard rock track in 4/4 time. You agreed b4 that dancing in spite of a song and not to it was a valid point, this is precisely what I meant by that.
Minnie, your last line is simply repeating the biggest myth in Jive, it's used as a marketing tool to make people think Jive is more adaptable than it actually is. So could a 'good jiver' dance to a waltz, a salsa, to Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5'? And that's to the song and not regardless of it. Apperently the latter song was actually used in a musicality class!! No wonder this daft myth persists.
Not while a newbie on the forum like me is here to be attacked!:what:
Though I'm not the only person here to query the wisdom of playing stuff like Lindy/swing tunes in a competition where you are not allowed to triple step in time with the music.
Don't you just love it when people twist your words :rolleyes:
I think we have had a similar conversation on another thread :whistle:

jezzyjj
4th-May-2006, 05:52 PM
Don't you just love it when people twist your words :rolleyes:
I think we have had a similar conversation on another thread :whistle: Not sure which words are talking about.:confused:
And on the other thread, you agreed with me about this point that maybe we're not now agreeing with. I think!!

Ghost
6th-May-2006, 07:34 PM
Well seeing is the rhythm is what your feet are moving to, it's kind of fundamental.

That says it all really.
I've never actually seen him dance so I don't know if it's true or an in-joke that he has incredible footwork, but The Oracle (DavidB) certainly claims not to move his feet when dancing and I'm pretty sure his dancing has a lot of musicality

I can certainly dance with musicality whilst my feet are still, eg in a Crucifix into shimmy :cool: (What else can you do if the floor's packed?). I think Gadget's pretty much working on evolving this into an art form at the moment :wink:

Be Well,
Christopher

Gadget
6th-May-2006, 09:02 PM
I think Gadget's pretty much working on evolving this into an art form at the moment :wink: Isn't it called "blues"? :whistle:

{...art form? :rofl:}

Ghost
6th-May-2006, 09:10 PM
Isn't it called "blues"? :whistle:
Well it was, but then you started getting rid of all the fast bits, the bits where there's no eye contact etc.

{...art form? :rofl:}
Bet there's a few ladies who'll agree with me :whistle:

Be Well,
Christopher

jezzyjj
8th-May-2006, 08:21 AM
I've never actually seen him dance so I don't know if it's true or an in-joke that he has incredible footwork, but The Oracle (DavidB) certainly claims not to move his feet when dancing and I'm pretty sure his dancing has a lot of musicality

I can certainly dance with musicality whilst my feet are still, eg in a Crucifix into shimmy :cool: (What else can you do if the floor's packed?). I think Gadget's pretty much working on evolving this into an art form at the moment :wink:

Be Well,
Christopher
In Lindy, triple step is a basic part of the foot pattern, but I've seen excellent dancers elide that footwork and still do beautiful Lindy. But even though the footwork may be absent or paused the timing that the footwork indictates is still there.