PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Champs 2006 - Results

Gus
29th-April-2006, 11:04 AM
OK. Thought I'd get in early and start the thread. For those at the Champs to publish the results, shocks, spills and thrills as they occur through the day.

Cruella
29th-April-2006, 11:06 AM
Early!! Premature i'd say. :D

DavidB
29th-April-2006, 11:12 AM
Look on the bright side. If it was a ballroom competition, you could post the results now...

Gus
29th-April-2006, 11:18 AM
Look on the bright side. If it was a ballroom competition, you could post the results now...I would have thought that the Oracle could do the same for the Ceroc Champs! :devil: Any predictions?

under par
29th-April-2006, 11:41 AM
Early!! Premature i'd say. :D

very unlike Gus!:rofl: normally comes late!

Lory
29th-April-2006, 01:53 PM
Any predictions?
Shame we haven't got a comprehensive list of all competitors:sad: , then we could place bets! :devil: :D

Robin
30th-April-2006, 08:39 AM
I would have thought that the Oracle could do the same for the Ceroc Champs! :devil: Any predictions?

I predict that Tezi & myself will be djing 2 slots later today

:rofl: :rofl:

Gus
30th-April-2006, 11:17 AM
Go Wongster Go! And this time Donna ..... DON'T WEAR THE SLIPPY SHOES :wink:

Ghost
30th-April-2006, 11:31 AM
Well obviously everything will be won by Forumites! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Take care,
Christopher

Baruch
1st-May-2006, 11:35 AM
So what about the Ceroc X event? Was it a success? Would be interested to hear how it went, if it worked, and what people thought of it.

Tazmanian Devil
1st-May-2006, 11:54 AM
So what about the Ceroc X event? Was it a success? Would be interested to hear how it went, if it worked, and what people thought of it.
Ceroc X was really good. I totally admier the guys that entered this along with over catorgries :worthy: It must be really difficult to only do the beginners moves :worthy: Fair play to all that etered they were great!! :clap: :clap:

Divissima
1st-May-2006, 12:04 PM
Mike Ellard mentioned when announcing the results that two couples had been disqualified from Ceroc X - presumably for performing illegal moves, but it wasn't clear whether it was two couples in the final, or two couples overall in the category.

Ghost
1st-May-2006, 12:11 PM
OK, it's late so I hope I'm making sense... and I hope a nice moderator will sort out all the champs threads at a suitable moment. Here goes, apologies for errors and omissions - they are entirely my own (for some couples, I only got the numbers).

Open:
1st Phil 'The Foot' Webb and Yuko Kamiya
2nd Simon Rich and Nicole Beckey
3rd Anita and David Mcloughlin

Advanced:
1st Stevie Wong and Donna
2nd Steve McCormack and Jo
3rd Matt Kavanagh and Becky

Intermediate:
1st Couple 145
2nd Couple James and Naomi
3rd John Simmons and Partner

Showcase:
1st Emma Pettit and Alex Faulkner
2nd Phil Webb and Yuko Kamiya
3rd Paul Warden and Cat Wiles

Lucky Dip:
1st Matthew Hudson and Sarah
2nd Mr Fitz and Yuko Kamiya
3rd Mike Smith and Jo (Steve's partner)

Team Cabaret:
1st Time Goes By (choreographed by Emma Pettit)
2nd Grease (also choreographed by Emma Pettit)

Double Trouble:
1st Matt Kavanagh, Becky and Jenni Harrison

Old Git:
1st Couple 210
2nd Couple 206
3rd Couple 204

Ceroc X:
1st Couple 155 - Tez and Partner
2nd Couple 147
3rd Couple 150

It was a day of truly awesome dancing :worthy:
Very tired now.

:waycool: now dont be shy Taz

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Taz and DirtyD got through to the Advanced Freestyle Finals:respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:
and what some of you may not know DirtyD has only been dancing for just over a year

so although they didn't Win It was a bloody amazing acheivment
Well done to the both of you

And James and Naomi came 2nd in the Intermediate, but as for the couple who came 1st - the bloke was also in the advanced competition so surely that makes him an advanced dancer even if his partner in the intermediates was not so in my eyes surely that makes James and Naomi 1st in Intermediate.

IMHO James and Naomi were robbed

Craig and Bubbaloo got through to the finals of Ceroc X which at least deserves some of you sponsoring her for the Race of Life (see her thread in Chit Chat)

Well done to everyone who took part you all made it a brilliant day
:respect: :respect: :respect: :clap::clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And see here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=227823#post227823)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Take care
Christopher

Gus
1st-May-2006, 12:49 PM
Open 3rd place - Anita and David Mcloughlin. Who? Not heard of this couple. New kids on the block? Whats their story? Where they from etc.

Emma
1st-May-2006, 01:09 PM
Mike Ellard mentioned when announcing the results that two couples had been disqualified from Ceroc X - presumably for performing illegal moves, but it wasn't clear whether it was two couples in the final, or two couples overall in the category.

Two in the finals, 'parently. No idea where they were placed before the disqualification, though.

Tiggerbabe
1st-May-2006, 01:09 PM
Open 3rd place - Anita and David Mcloughlin. Who? Not heard of this couple. New kids on the block? Whats their story? Where they from etc.
'Fraid I don't know David, but Anita danced with Dale (KGD) previously, she was definitely at Blackpool as there's a picture of her with Pretzelmeister in the Lucky Dip.

Blues Dancer
1st-May-2006, 01:11 PM
Is that the Anita that's on the forum then?

Gus
1st-May-2006, 01:11 PM
Just noticed .... where were the Scots? No mention of anyone North of the border.

Tiggerbabe
1st-May-2006, 01:15 PM
No mention of anyone North of the border.
Mr Fitz is from Aberdeen, that far enough North for ya? :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
1st-May-2006, 01:16 PM
Is that the Anita that's on the forum then?
I think so :)

Mary
1st-May-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes Anita is on the forum, and she danced with Dave in the Advanced at Blackpool this year as well. They did really well in a very tough competition.

Dave has been around doing competitions for a while. He has done the aerials category a few times with a blond girl who he used to partner.

Simon & Nicole and Phil & Yuko were looking stunning in the Open Final, and it must have been a really close result. I couldn't take my eyes of Simon & Nicole, mostly 'cos Nicole was hypnotic to watch dancing in that fabulous dress.:respect: :respect:

M

Divissima
1st-May-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes Anita is on the forum, and she danced with Dave in the Advanced at Blackpool this year as well. They did really well in a very tough competition.Absolutely - they well deserved their placing.

Simon & Nicole and Phil & Yuko were looking stunning in the Open Final, and it must have been a really close result. I couldn't take my eyes of Simon & Nicole, mostly 'cos Nicole was hypnotic to watch dancing in that fabulous dress.:respect: :respect: The costumes have been getting increasingly gorgeous in the past couple of years - Nicole had two beautiful creations, and there were a variety of lovely dresses out there. I'm really looking forward to the pictures!

Gus
1st-May-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes Anita is on the forum, and she danced with Dave in the Advanced at Blackpool this year as well. They did really well in a very tough competition.Any other 'known' dancers in the final?

Divissima
1st-May-2006, 01:39 PM
Any other 'known' dancers in the final?The two couples in the open final who didn't place were James Geary and Helen, Dale St Rose and his partner (who also won Lucky Dip).

Tiggerbabe
1st-May-2006, 01:41 PM
Here's Anita with our very own Pretzelmeister.

Gus
1st-May-2006, 01:41 PM
The two couples in the open final who didn't place were James Geary and Helen, Dale St Rose and his partner (who also won Lucky Dip).See what you mean about tough. Didn't realise James (:worthy: ) was back on the competition circuit.

Minnie M
1st-May-2006, 01:56 PM
Who were the judges ?

marty_baby
1st-May-2006, 02:08 PM
Hiya All,

My 1st time at hammersmith... Wow... an absolute baptism of fire!
Respect to everyone who competes there year on year :respect:

I just could not get my head around there being so many competitors on the dance floor at the same time, the judges walking around, and there being so many rounds. I was knackered on top of everything else, and stretching and sleeping between rounds, rather then watching the Showcases etc! Missed out there :tears:

Totally unlike Brighton and Blackpool. I felt hemmed in, and we just couldn't get in our stride. 3rd round was all we could except I suppose. I couldn't say sorry enough times to Sharon though. Sharon was an absolute gem about it all. Sungi, My lucky dip partner was fantastic as well, shame I couldn't do her justice either :tears:

Oh well, always next year. Will be moving up to the Advanced now. I'll treat Hammersmith as a challanging difference for next year! :D

jacksondonut
1st-May-2006, 02:26 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!

Hope you all had a fantastic day and was thinking of you:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Have heaps of admiration and lots of :respect: to all the competitors... you are all BRILLIANT!!! :worthy: :worthy:

WELL DONE ALL OF YOU!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary
1st-May-2006, 02:56 PM
The two couples in the open final who didn't place were James Geary and Helen, Dale St Rose and his partner (who also won Lucky Dip).

Dale's partner is the lovey Sarah, who he also competed with at Blackpool this year. Sarah used to demo for Richard Beavoisin at Twyford and also Swindon when he opened a franchise there.

M

Lorna
1st-May-2006, 03:12 PM
Well done to everyone but a special congratulations to our very own Mr Fitz, (Brian). Well Done!! Thoroughly deserve this one. :hug:

Lxx

Baruch
1st-May-2006, 03:56 PM
I was knackered on top of everything else, and stretching and sleeping between rounds
How did your back hold out?

Bubbalou
1st-May-2006, 04:08 PM

Hey Guys!!! As a Ceroc X finalist (hoorahhhhh!!), I can clear this up for you.

There were 5 couples in the final as you know. 3 were placed and the other 2 were disqualified for illegal moves. Me and Craig being one of the disqualified couples. We will never know for sure where we were placed prior to disqualifcation but lots of spectators commented how it was "in the bag" when we left the floor. It's always nice to hear these comments but I don't want to take anything away from those who beat us to it as it was a very hard round indeed.

Trying to compete with Intermediate moves one round and then going into beginners was really tough as you always go to do a dramatic end with a drop or something. Musical interpretation had to all be about style rather than moves and to me, that was a challenge. But I really enjoyed this catergory. More so than the intermediates. You knew that the moves were not going to be challenging and therefore listening to and "feeling" the music was a must.........it felt kind of like when you do your own "thang" in the kitchen and you are just going with the flow.

I loved it!!!!!

We are pleased that we got through to the finals as it is a first for us! If they decide to run it again next year we will enter again. For sure.
The move that we think let us down was a first move. Instead of coming out of it with a turn, I walked out of it I think(minor point but that is what the challenge was with this round and therefore we refuse to feel robbed!). Taz might be able to explain this better. If anyone else noticed any intermediate moves please let us know what we did!

So, hats off to my wonderful Craigiebabie who lead me so well and managed to concentrate on the beginners moves so well. Love you babe :respect:

We also got through to quarter finals intermediate which was one step down from last year. Dissapointing but the standard was so amazing that you gotta :clap:

Congratulations to all, but especially James and Naomi............you guys worked so hard for your 2nd place and let's make it first next year.

Taz and Dirty D..................WOW you guys were amazing and it was a pleasure to be on the stage with you as finalists.

Alex and Emma.................BLIMEY!! That showcase was breathtakingly mindblowing:respect: :respect: :respect: As was the team caberet! Well done and congratualtions. A well deserved first.

Jo and Steve's aerials......gosh. You guys are great.

Here's to the next one..........and here's to Camber!! Woo hoo. (hope my muscles stop aching by then!)

And to all of you lovely people, thanks for so much support!!

Lou xx:kiss:
ps yes I'm off to add £50 to my race for life fund as I said I would if we got to the finals!! http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/inlovingmemory

marty_baby
1st-May-2006, 04:09 PM
How did your back hold out?

Hiya Baruch,

Yes thanks! :na: Was more concenered about the Dodgy abs tho. Loads of stretching and the odd paracetamol etc helped. The impression I get tho is that loads of the competitors get knocks and strains, so I'm nothing out of the ordinary. Poor Donna was telling me all the aches and pains she has at the mo :eek: She still was able to pull out an admazing performance all day - even with sticky shoes in the finals!

(Well done to both Donna and StevieW BTW - all their hard work, and perseverance has really paid off with winning the Advanced. I'm soo happy for the both of them :clap: )

And well done to all the other competitors! It was one hell of a day :cheers:

Martin :)

Spice 'n' Easy
1st-May-2006, 04:50 PM
Especially Tessaliscious and Spice n Easy :clap: :worthy: You guys were fabulous and a real pleasure to watch!! :worthy: :worthy:

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that supported us and cheered us on from the sidelines. You have no idea how much it inspired us and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart :worthy: :worthy:. This was our first competition together and getting to the Semi's was the most amazing feeling ever.

I want add an extra special thank you to my wonderful dance partner, Tessaliscious. :hug: We worked hard for this competition and she has been truly amazing throughout the whole experience. On the day she was awesome and I was truly honoured to be dancing with her :respect:

Again well done to everyone who competed. It was a long day and you all deserve a round of applause :clap: :clap:

cutey
1st-May-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok, it is early evening the day after the big day and yes I am feeling abosultely knackered! :tears: I have bent Simon's arm behind his back to take my place and teach tonight hee hee:clap:

The day was full of excitement and full of high expectations, everyone in every heat, has raised their game to make this year's competition the one to win....:wink:

A very well done to all who took part and especially those who were placed :clap: :hug: :kiss: :respect:

My heart goes to Will & Kate Hargreaves who did not reach the finals. Yes Simon and I were competiting in the same heats BUT I will say this, GUYS YOU WERE FANTASTIC! You should have got through to the finals and most of all got placed.... out of anyone you deserved too!:clap: :respect: :love:

A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO ALL OUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE DAY, IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED. Sorry we let you down for not getting first place but I am over the moon with second, even though that gorgeous man of mine is not :hug: :kiss:

Katie and Jane you guys were lovely, helping me into these challenging costumes to make me sparkle throughout the day... It will forever remain a secret to where I bought these dresses. After numerous questions throughout the day, I will say this, the blue one was worn by Erin in Strictly Come Dancing and the purple sparkler was worn by one of the competitiors in Strictly Dance Fever approximately three weeks ago. :whistle: SIMON WILL KILL ME FOR SAYING JUST THAT!!!! OH MY GOD HELP ME:rofl: :rofl:

I better go as I am one to talk forever. I hope you enjoyed all the lovely dancing and looking forward to next year! Don't forget the after party at Twyford Freestyle this Saturday... See you there :hug: :kiss: :flower:

wicked blue
1st-May-2006, 07:34 PM
Well done to everyone that competed :clap:

Fantastic level of dancing...well done to all those that made it to the finals...

Also like to say well done to all those that didn't make it through -
special mentions to Greg and Lucy - you danced brilliantly..so Lucy you wont be dancing anymore with mooncalf, seeing as your too good now!! :respect:

Spice N Easy you suffered a similar fate as myself and Graham - oh well can't do much about spilt orange juice!!

Divi and Chris you were fab! Thanks for the lovely dances Chris, and your kind words at the end.

Just wiggle...the judges just didn't do u justice.. :kiss:

Cruella
1st-May-2006, 07:54 PM
A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO ALL OUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE DAY, IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED.
Ahem! and the fabulous back massage that loosened you up!!

Anita
1st-May-2006, 09:03 PM
The day was full of excitement and full of high expectations, everyone in every heat, has raised their game to make this year's competition the one to win....:wink:

:yeah: lots of great partnerships in all of the competitions. I the finals very difficult to decide who to place in many of the finals. Thank you to the people who came especially to support David & myself. :flower:

My heart goes to Will & Kate Hargreaves who did not reach the finals. Yes Simon and I were competiting in the same heats BUT I will say this, GUYS YOU WERE FANTASTIC! You should have got through to the finals and most of all got placed.... out of anyone you deserved too!:clap: :respect: :love:

:( just didn't feel right without them there. I hope they bounce back. They are true professionals.

Steve & Donna - :cheers: enjoy that holiday..... :wink:

Ste
1st-May-2006, 10:06 PM
Wow what a very exciting weekend!

Donna and I were very sad about Will and Kate getting knocked out. Will helped me get started in Ceroc and it was our dream to win the big comps.It would have meant a lot to me for Will to have won it but at the same time I am delighted for Phil and Yuko, Simon and Nicole and especailly very very proud of Anita and David for doing so well.:respect: :worthy: :hug:

Another high was seeing Matt , Becky and Jenni doing so very very well. It was probably the best double trouble I have ever seen and at such a high velocity!

I was very moved by Steve and Jo genuinely congratulating us because they had come second last year in the Advanced this year and came second again. Donna and I have always thought they were fantastic in freestyle and admired them for some time. So their time will come in the freestyle. I know how well they did at SDF and so I have total respect for them.( Steve, you are a lovely man.Well done to you both for winning the aerials.):respect: :respect:

And well done to our friends Sungy and John for doing so well in the intermediates. :clap:

D and S

El Salsero Gringo
1st-May-2006, 10:09 PM
"... and I'd like also to thank my second year English teacher, Mr Matthews, and Mr. Thompson who played the piano for "moving to music" on Wendesdays when I was 4, and wait - what's this? My boob seems to have popped out of my dress!"

WittyBird
2nd-May-2006, 01:35 AM
IMHO

Just goes to show that brains and dancing aint linked.........Would've been nice for medals to go to people who really appreciated / deserved it.

nuff said

robd
2nd-May-2006, 07:57 AM
Me and Craig being one of the disqualified couples......The move that we think let us down was a first move.

You were my favourites for this one (ceroc X) based on your performances through the rounds but I do have to say I thought I saw you perform one or two deviations from the standard beginner's moves as I was watching - can't remember specifics but I do remember hoping it wouldn't be enough to cost you disqualification.

Nonetheless, :respect: for what you did do and good luck for next year.

I think Ceroc X is one of those categories that, if you are going to do it, that's all you do. It must be so easy to slip, whether from muscle memory or whatever, into one of your favourite non-beginner's moves.

Robert

robd
2nd-May-2006, 08:19 AM
IMHO

Just goes to show that brains and dancing aint linked.........Would've been nice for medals to go to people who really appreciated / deserved it.

nuff said

Is it nuff said WB??? Be interested to know who you felt didn't appreciate or deserve it. I had my differences of opinion with the results and was in agreement with some of the choices too which is how I would expect it to be. What I don't have is the criteria that the judges were working to (though it's probably on the Champs website somewhere) so I can't say their decisions were wrong.

I thought Simon and Nicole were great, bags of personality. Alex and Emma were very enjoyable too.

And a big well done to Dirty D (and of course Taz) - was v surprised to see you in the Advanced when I arrived but by the end I thought you were unlucky not to get placed. :respect:

Robert

robd
2nd-May-2006, 08:20 AM
I think the main thing I learned at the Champs is to never, ever dance wearing braces :sick:

robd
2nd-May-2006, 08:52 AM
Just to round off my run of posts, I wanted to give a :clap: :clap: :clap: to the Blues room. Just as little room in there as on the main floor but it's the national Champs, what can you expect. Had my most enjoyable hour of the day in there until the car was going to turn into a pumpkin or something and we had to leave at midnight. Sadly this early exit meant I did miss the chance to dance with some people I see all too rarely, particularly Tess (great outfits! you'll go all the way next year :wink: ), Sparkles and Lucy but I am sure there'll be another day.

It was 'spooky' though to leave the blues room at the end of one song just as that same song started on the main floor :what:

Robert

Chicklet
2nd-May-2006, 09:34 AM
nuff said
not nuff said for me I'm afraid - please expand?
thanks!

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 09:42 AM
Two in the finals, 'parently. No idea where they were placed before the disqualification, though.

they were not in the final, he mention it in the final but mention two had been disqualified in a much earlier round !

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 09:46 AM
they were not in the final, he mention it in the final but mention two had been disqualified in a much earlier round !

Apolgies clearly some were disqualified in final but certainly mention earlier disqualifications

Alice
2nd-May-2006, 09:46 AM
Just to round off my run of posts, I wanted to give a :clap: :clap: :clap: to the Blues room. Just as little room in there as on the main floor but it's the national Champs, what can you expect. Had my most enjoyable hour of the day in there until the car was going to turn into a pumpkin or something and we had to leave at midnight. Sadly this early exit meant I did miss the chance to dance with some people I see all too rarely, particularly Tess (great outfits! you'll go all the way next year :wink: ), Sparkles and Lucy but I am sure there'll be another day.

It was 'spooky' though to leave the blues room at the end of one song just as that same song started on the main floor :what:

Robert
He he.. I noticed that too- different versions though...:whistle:

DavidB
2nd-May-2006, 09:51 AM
2 couples were disqualified in the final for illegal moves. I believe more couples were disqualified in earlier heats for the same reason.

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 09:57 AM
Where is the thread re feed back ??

Out of interest why only one double trouble entry , that use to be a very popular class ?

why only two show cases ?

This year much more free syle which was fine but not the depth and Ill say same level of dancer overall

Please note its a humble opinion not a 'fact' before i get flamed :sad:

DavidB
2nd-May-2006, 10:08 AM
Out of interest why only one double trouble entry , that use to be a very popular class ?One entry pulled out on the day.

why only two show cases ?
There were 6 showcases.

Do you mean teams? One problem might be the size of the floor. I think most of the teams from Blackpool wouldn't fit.

robd
2nd-May-2006, 10:10 AM
This year much more free syle which was fine but not the depth and Ill say same level of dancer overall

In the freestyle or in the competition? or both?

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 11:17 AM
Wow what a weekend!! :clap: Really enjoyed it, and didn't want it to come to an end! :sad:

Well done to everybody who entered - some great dancers out there!! Also congratulations to Phil & Yuko (luuurved the showcase by the way! great stuff!! Phil, sorry we didn't get that dance later.. next time!:nice: ) Also congrats to Simon and Nicole (those dresses were stunning!:respect: ) and HUUUUGE congrats to Anita and David!!! I told you you would do well didn't I?! :hug:

A big well done to Matt & Becky and Steve & Jo! :worthy: You guys are fab! :hug:

Thanks Eric for the great music ... kept me dancing all day.. so much, I could hardly stand up by midnight! Have to say, have never danced to Rockin Robin before.. wow that was fast.. and it didn't help the fact I walked through spilt water on the side of the dance floor before going into the final... suede soles and water don't mix! very sticky.:rolleyes:

By the way, we're arguing over the silver cup already, so have agreed one week it stays at my place, then his the next. Crazy I know... could always split it in half! :rofl:

DianaS
2nd-May-2006, 11:28 AM
IMHO

nuff said
Hmmm, I think I know what you mean:whistle:
Nice manners is also a must!

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 11:31 AM
One entry pulled out on the day.

There were 6 showcases.

Do you mean teams? One problem might be the size of the floor. I think most of the teams from Blackpool wouldn't fit.

Two pulled out on the day ,use to be a few rounds of double trouble , so question remains ?

In past years there were at least 5/6 team entries, sorry not referring to 'show cases' so why the change

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 11:33 AM
In the freestyle or in the competition? or both?

I personally thought the overall standard of 'competition dancing' was lower then last year or the year before that

Its only a opinion but ill no doubt get flamed for it :sad:

I wont sit on the fence

The freestyle was as great as ever

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, I think I know what you mean:whistle:
Nice manners is also a must!

But the rest of us don't know what she means. She will have to explain please.

DianaS
2nd-May-2006, 12:05 PM
But the rest of us don't know what she means. She will have to explain please.

Excuse me but don't you mean I don't know what she means?

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 12:13 PM
Excuse me but don't you mean I don't know what she means?

Just read the rest of you post that was attached to this but you or somebody has obviously deleted it.

You were saying it's thoughtless that I mention how much practice time we get before a comp? I don't see what is so thoughless about it. I was just pointing it out.. you know, having a conversation. You got hold of the wrong end of the stick here me thinks. :nice: I know some people don't get much practice time but I was in no way trying to intimidate anybody. Not my intentions.

Feelingpink
2nd-May-2006, 12:17 PM

Opening threads just before a competion to announce how much you spend on personal training and how much your practice may also be a litttle thoughtless to people who are also competing but may not be as affluent as you.

Some people may consider it thoughtless, others bragging, others a silly attempt at intidating the competition. It does highlight that something is lacking though.
I just read it as demonstrating a lack of insight and manners

Do you understand what I'm saying?I read that thread and didn't think anything at all of the line that you seem to be taking. Some people on the forum seem to devote all their waking hours to dance, others don't. I thought it was simply an extension of that - and certainly not lacking in manners. Some of the comments made on the forum on this thread and one or two others are very unpleasant and hurtful; perhaps they would be more appropriate for PMs, if said at all.

mikeyr
2nd-May-2006, 12:39 PM
I read that thread and didn't think anything at all of the line that you seem to be taking. Some people on the forum seem to devote all their waking hours to dance, others don't. I thought it was simply an extension of that - and certainly not lacking in manners. Some of the comments made on the forum on this thread and one or two others are very unpleasant and hurtful; perhaps they would be more appropriate for PMs, if said at all.

I agree totally with the above. I have a Cha Cha competition at the end of this month a heat lasts 1 min 20 secs, last week i did a total of 4hours practise. Does anybody feel intimidated that.

Competition [the activity of doing something with the goal of outperforming others or winning something], it is up to the individual to what extent they take it. I personally cant imagine entering and not wanting to do my best to win.

Donna & Steve, Congratulations you deserved to win. Not only for the commitment to your art but your style & grace also.:respect:

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 12:44 PM
I read that thread and didn't think anything at all of the line that you seem to be taking. Some people on the forum seem to devote all their waking hours to dance, others don't. I thought it was simply an extension of that - and certainly not lacking in manners. Some of the comments made on the forum on this thread and one or two others are very unpleasant and hurtful; perhaps they would be more appropriate for PMs, if said at all.

Thank you for putting that straight. And yes I'm deeply hurt by some of the comments and lies made up on this forum about me. If people are going to carry on being negative, then like someone else I've just had a pm off, I'm no longer going to come on this forum again. It's supposed to be fun.

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 12:49 PM
I agree totally with the above. I have a Cha Cha competition at the end of this month a heat lasts 1 min 20 secs, last week i did a total of 4hours practise. Does anybody feel intimidated that.

Sometimes we didn't even get 4 hours in the week, and no, I don't feel intimidated by that at all and can't imagine why others would either. A bit of practice is better than non at all, and I'm sure some competitors don't have a problem squeezing even an hour in somewhere in the week in preparation for a comp.

it is up to the individual to what extent they take it.

Exactly! :yeah: And if that determined, would be able to fit the practice in their diaries somewhere.

Donna & Steve, Congratulations you deserved to win. Not only for the commitment to your art but your style & grace also.:respect:

Thank you! :hug: :hug:

DianaS
2nd-May-2006, 02:20 PM
Just read the rest of you post that was attached to this but you or somebody has obviously deleted it.

You were saying it's thoughtless that I mention how much practice time we get before a comp? I don't see what is so thoughless about it. I was just pointing it out.. you know, having a conversation. You got hold of the wrong end of the stick here me thinks. :nice: I know some people don't get much practice time but I was in no way trying to intimidate anybody. Not my intentions.
Hi Donna Yes I edited it a few seconds after posting it. I didn't think it was very polite to voice my thoughts in public especially as you were probably on a high from having won. It wasn't the amount of time that you practice but actually the amount of money that you invest that may make other people who are competing feel rather undermined.
You know that it isn't a level playing field.
I was rather touched that Sparkles opened a thread to offer suggestions on how to cut the cost of dancing...

The extract that I cut has already been quoted in full by some one. So I apologise for hurting your feelings.

robd
2nd-May-2006, 02:31 PM
I personally thought the overall standard of 'competition dancing' was lower then last year or the year before that

Its only a opinion but ill no doubt get flamed for it :sad:

I wont sit on the fence

I don't think you should be flamed for saying that. I must admit there was little there that made me go 'Wow' and it's amazing what a difference a year makes to my perceptions of the standard. But, as the saying goes, 'put up or shut up'. I didn't enter anything so I am not sure how much right I have to pass judgement on those that did. There were people I saw performing who I knew were better dancers than their performances were demonstrating which, to my mind, suggests that nerves play a big part and that the choice of track can be critical. The whole day also re-confirmed in my mind that MJ is a dance for doing not for viewing (with a few honourable exceptions). That's not to say I will never compete (assuming I could find a suitable partner AND keep the g/f sweet :blush: ) but, if I do, it will be more for the social side than anything else.

Robert

TheTramp
2nd-May-2006, 02:37 PM
I(assuming I could find a suitable partner AND keep the g/f sweet :blush: )

Or persuade the gf to take up dancing!! :rolleyes:

robd
2nd-May-2006, 02:41 PM
Or persuade the gf to take up dancing!! :rolleyes:

She does and indeed she introduced me to it (a move she's probably regretting now :rolleyes: ) but we have some issues to work out in our dancing together and I really don't like the thought of the strain that competing might place on the relationship.

Are you free next May, Trampy?

TheTramp
2nd-May-2006, 02:47 PM
Are you free next May, Trampy?
Are you asking? :D

Simon r
2nd-May-2006, 02:52 PM
Are you asking? :D

And you promised me....

TheTramp
2nd-May-2006, 02:57 PM
That's fine. I'll do you both*. One in Advanced, and the other in Open! :whistle:

* Looking back, maybe I should have rephrased this! :rolleyes:

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey trampy! Where were you on Sun?

TheTramp
2nd-May-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey trampy! Where were you on Sun?

Teaching workshops in Glasgow. Had a great time :clap:

Simon r
2nd-May-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, it is early evening the day after the big day and yes I am feeling abosultely knackered! :tears: I have bent Simon's arm behind his back to take my place and teach tonight hee hee:clap:

A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO ALL OUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE DAY, IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED. Sorry we let you down for not getting first place but I am over the moon with second, even though that gorgeous man of mine is not :hug: :kiss:

Ok now she's in trouble .....

well done to everyone that competed for having the guts to get up there and put it on the line ...

On the day thought Cat and Paul showed pure class and danced at a diffrent level. Great routine with just pure dance.:respect:

Well done Graham and wicked blue ( spare bl**dy arm)

Tessalicious you looked spot on lovely smiles and great lines.

Will and Kate you know my thoughts.

Dave(snake hips) and Anita well done looked great in the early rounds.

Mary and Tony love you as always.

The floor lighting and music was greatly improved from previous years and it wasn't till the following day i realised that we were not sticking to the carpet as in previous years.
The event seemed to flow really well,with good breaks for those competing in more than one comp.

Matt and Becky really hard moving up a level and have done well on year to year so keep going guys (Marty pass that on will you)

Steve and Donna well done really moved up a gear will be good to see you in the open next year.

Phil and Yuko well done on another 1st place see you at western...:flower:

I actually watched quite a lot of the comp this year and i thought the standard was higher than previos years but what do i know.

Simon

marty_baby
2nd-May-2006, 04:10 PM
Thank you for putting that straight. And yes I'm deeply hurt by some of the comments and lies made up on this forum about me. If people are going to carry on being negative, then like someone else I've just had a pm off, I'm no longer going to come on this forum again. It's supposed to be fun.

Awww com'on guys lay off Donna will do! :angry:

When you actually get to know her, she is a lovely, supportive, genuine kinda person - A great dance person to know when you are on a high, or on a low, or just want to chit chat dance.

She also puts some really positive, helpful, friendly stuff on this forum - and that makes her a valued member of this forum I feel - and she should be treated as such.

cutey
2nd-May-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey Donna
don't let any of these comments get you down, keep up the fab dancing..... Cuteyx

marty_baby
2nd-May-2006, 04:17 PM
Matt and Becky really hard moving up a level and have done well on year to year so keep going guys (Marty pass that on will you)
Simon

I'll certainly pass that on Simon :nice:

They are really working hard at improving - and they will really appreciate the encouragement from you.

Donna
2nd-May-2006, 04:26 PM

When you actually get to know her, she is a lovely, supportive, genuine kinda person - A great dance person to know when you are on a high, or on a low, or just want to chit chat dance.

She also puts some really positive, helpful, friendly stuff on this forum - and that makes her a valued member of this forum I feel - and she should be treated as such.

Thanks for those kind words martin. bless. :hug: :hug:

Hey Donna
don't let any of these comments get you down, keep up the fab dancing..... Cuteyx

Don't worry I won't. Of course I'm going to keep the dancing up... can't stay away!! :nice: :hug:

Minnie M
2nd-May-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Donna
:yeah: :flower: :yeah: :respect: the proof is in the pudding :whistle:

Congratulations :clap:

stewart38
2nd-May-2006, 04:45 PM
I actually watched quite a lot of the comp this year and i thought the standard was higher than previos years but what do i know.

Simon

Thought you dance better then ive ever seen you dance before and I put you in the top 2 in the Show Case but i dont judge.

Id like to ask the 4 people who positive rep me re agreeing they thought the standard was lower this year as to why they dont post to that affect :sick:

Its just peoples opinion

I thought the old gits was better this year and there were loads of great dancers etc

Well done to all the forumites and non forumites and the non comp dancers , that made it a great day .

DavidB
2nd-May-2006, 05:16 PM
I think there was a bit of 'Changing of the Guard' this year. A lot of open finalists from previous years were not competing (Clayton & Janine, Gary & Hayley, Adam & Taz etc). Many of the couples in this year's open were doing Advanced last year.
Similarly in Advanced - quite a few of the dancers were doing Intermediate last year.

Clayton & Janine had probably done as many routines as all the showcase couples put together. 3 of the couples were doing their first routine.

Virtually everyone I saw had improved. But each level is a huge step. I only know one couple who have gone from advanced to open in one year and won (Phil & Yuko)

mooncalf
2nd-May-2006, 05:30 PM
Was a bit shocked not to see Graham and Wicked Blue in the final. Had rushed back especially.

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 06:30 PM

She also puts some really positive, helpful, friendly stuff on this forum - and that makes her a valued member of this forum I feel - and she should be treated as such. :yeah:

While it might not always be apparent on the forums, when I met her I realised she's really a nice and very genuine person.

I'm surprised and disappointed at what has been said on this forum today.

Lee
2nd-May-2006, 06:46 PM
I think there was a bit of 'Changing of the Guard' this year. A lot of open finalists from previous years were not competing (Clayton & Janine, Gary & Hayley, Adam & Taz etc). Many of the couples in this year's open were doing Advanced last year.
Similarly in Advanced - quite a few of the dancers were doing Intermediate last year.

:yeah: I agree, it did look like people had moved up one level from last year.

Highlights for me were:

Matt & Becky :clap:

Helen Leury (wow, she is amazing) :worthy: :worthy: with James Geary :respect:

Dale & Sarah :clap:

Alex and Emma.................WOW!! I critisied them both after Storm but they blew me away with their showcase as with the 2nd team caberet (time goes by) :flower:

Jo and Steve's aerials :eek: :worthy:

I thought Paul & Cat were class, a lovely routine and amazing dancing (notice they didn't even do a lift):clap: :worthy: :clap: :respect:

Lee

WittyBird
2nd-May-2006, 07:17 PM
Is it nuff said WB??? Be interested to know who you felt didn't appreciate or deserve it.

I am not naming names or categories. People seem to have assumed wrongly anyway.

I spoke to someone after the comp to congratulate them, to which I got this reply 'well yeah it was ok bit of fun really'

They didn't appear to be to bothered and I found the person very unenthusiastic, I thought it was a real shame :mad:

Chicklet
2nd-May-2006, 07:45 PM
I spoke to someone after the comp to congratulate them, to which I got this reply 'well yeah it was ok bit of fun really'
They didn't appear to be to bothered and I found the person very unenthusiastic, I thought it was a real shame :mad:
People (particularly Brits in my experience) have different ways of "dealing" with compliments, many find it VERY difficult, I don't know to whom you spoke, (and don't want to, not fishing!) but on this evidence, could their reply not just have been a coping mechanism rather than anything more *sinister* ?

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 07:56 PM
I am not naming names or categories. People seem to have assumed wrongly anyway.

By not naming names and being so vague you seem to have sparked off a bit of a mini-flame session that we might have avoided if you had gone into this amount of detail in the first place. (Or just said nothing! ;))

Oh, and I agree with Chicklet, it sounds like the person was just saying the equivalent of "gee, shucks, it was nothing! :blush:", but then I'm only judging by what you have said.

ElaineB
2nd-May-2006, 08:00 PM
Simon and I didn't make this competition, but I would just like to say .............

Marty Baby - so sorry Mate, your injury kept you and Sharon out of the finals. :sad:

Mary and Tony - I heard that your Showcase was very well received, again!! Hope you bring it to W-S-M!!! :worthy:

Congratualtions to Steve and Donna in the Advanced - (mutters to myself, that means 6 practices a week from now on! :wink: ) and of course to Matt and Beckie for their third place and for winning the Double Trouble with the lovely Jenni!! :clap:

Phil and Yuko - what can I say??? Winners and second place in the Open and Showcase, even with braces that had a mind of their own! :respect:

Simon and Nicole - lovely, lovely, lovely, so I hear!!! I can't wait to see the dresses on DVD!! :clap: Congratulations to you both on your second place in the Open! Oooh, and Anita :hug: - well done to you too!!

So, well done to all the competitors, whether they won, made the finals, or wherever they ended up! :respect: :respect: :respect: To compete in anything takes a lot of guts and for some, it costs a lot, in both time and money.

We have some amazing dancers out there, whether in Le Roc and Ce Roc and it is to their credit that a lot of the competitors want to follow in their footsteps, improve and even over take 'the old guard'. :worthy:

Elaine

Katie
2nd-May-2006, 08:24 PM
I had a lovely day spectating, it was a joy to watch some fantastic showcases, cheering for my favourites in the freestyles, and catching up with people generally.

The venue is still too dark for my liking, and especially since my infamous head injury I felt particularly nervous going anywhere near the stairs but nevertheless better lighting was welcomed.

A special mention to: (warning luvviness)

Simon and Nicole - it was the first time i'd seen your showcase, and it was fantastic! So funky, and Nicole you were so elegant. You guys have come a long way in such a short time. That dress (dresses!) is out of this world, and Erin was right - it did bring you luck! Well done for doing the T-bar twice!

Mary and Tony - you started the competition in style with your showcase! So much attitude and slick! Really enjoyed watching you too.

Wicked Blue and Graham - well done for getting to the Semi's. Real shame you didn't make the finals.

ChrisA and Divi - congrats on getting to the semi's. Loved the sparkly top ChrisA.

Kate and Will - you should have been in the finals! You executed some beautiful moves in the semi's.

Cat and Paul - I so wanted you guys to win! The connection, balance, and control in that routine was incredible. I personally was surprised at the showcase result.

william_ceroc
2nd-May-2006, 08:49 PM
Big Thank you for my dance Partner Elizabeth(who only just got her cast of after a few months ago) who made me look great
Was really nice to make so many rounds and get to a final and dance with just 4 other couples on the dance floor

And one last thankyou to everyone who cheered us on, was really nice to dance with all the support, even in the 4th round of the interm (Thats a big thankyou to everyone on both sides of the dance floor watching)

Hope to see you all up in Sunny Scotland

JW

Lindsay
3rd-May-2006, 12:03 PM
Big Thank you for my dance Partner Elizabeth(who only just got her cast of after a few months ago) who made me look great
Was really nice to make so many rounds and get to a final and dance with just 4 other couples on the dance floor

Good on ya both, glad Elizabeth is dancing again!
Congrats on getting 2 the final :cheers:

Lost Leader
3rd-May-2006, 07:46 PM
I did not go to watch the Champs, but I did see Emma and Alex perform their winning Show Case routine at Northampton last night - absolutely awesome!! How did that hat not fall on the floor even once? Well done Emma and Alex :respect: I know you worked incredibly hard on that routine, especially as Emma hurt her ankle really badly just before Christmas and was unable to dance for many weeks.

Big shout also for the fab dancers from the east midlands - especially Daventry and Northampton. Not only did Emma's two teams triumph in the team competition (both routines were absolutely great, but where was the opposition?), but dancers who are regulars at Daventry and Northampton came 1st, 2nd and 4th in the seniors competition The winner was I believe John, who runs the excellent refresher class at Daventry, and his partner (sorry I do not know her name). Well done to all of you - I thought there were some great dancers at my local venues and now it seems some of them are amongst the very best. If only us mere mortals could even begin to keep up :worthy:

:respect: also for everyone else who competed - it takes a lot of guts and determination as well as hard work and skill. I am sure that watching the event is very inspirational - maybe I will go and see for myself next year.

JamesGeary
4th-May-2006, 12:20 PM
My highlights were the all the routines, every single one had great qualities!

I loved...

Phil & Yuko's perfectly executed aerials. perfect the 2nd time anyway :grin:
:respect:

Paul & Cats's floorcraft, smoothness and polish

DavidY
4th-May-2006, 12:31 PM
The official results seem to be published on the Ceroc Champs website (http://www.cerocchamps.com/results2006.htm) now.

Donna
4th-May-2006, 02:21 PM
My highlights were the all the routines, every single one had great qualities!

I loved...

Phil & Yuko's perfectly executed aerials. perfect the 2nd time anyway :grin:

Paul & Cats's floorcraft, smoothness and polish

Caught a bit of Phil & Yuko's but unfortunately missed Paul & Cats performance! :sad: Was in the loos and thought.. oeer like the sound of this music.. what's going on? but by the time I rushed out, I missed it. damn. Will see it on DVD.. talking of DVD.. anybody got any idea when it will be complete?

Little miss jiver
4th-May-2006, 07:00 PM
Thank you Mary and Lee

this is Sarah (better known as Dale's partner) we had a good time dancing and it was a tough field - I was just glad to make the final as I only made semi's last year. (bright orange dress last year - gold dress this year!)

Still I have to say that I really enjoyed dancing with Dale, and also with Matt my lucky dip co-winner - he's a kiwi been dancing at ISH, and our styles just jelled on the day.

Elaine - missed you to compete against after Blackpool, we definitely improved since then and worked on bringing our styles closer together, and I think it paid off. We didn't have a great round in the final though - we were rushed onto the floor and Dale was still tying up his shoe laces out there just before we started!! Ah well there is always next year.

WittyBird
4th-May-2006, 07:17 PM
Still I have to say that I really enjoyed dancing with Dale, and also with Matt my lucky dip co-winner - he's a kiwi been dancing at ISH, and our styles just jelled on the day.

Matt is a dream isn't he :D I'm so glad you won something. You looked fabulous on Sunday:flower:

KGD - before you get annoyed with me, you looked fabulous too :D

ElaineB
4th-May-2006, 07:25 PM
Thank you Mary and Lee

this is Sarah (better known as Dale's partner) we had a good time dancing and it was a tough field - I was just glad to make the final as I only made semi's last year. (bright orange dress last year - gold dress this year!)

Elaine - missed you to compete against after Blackpool, we definitely improved since then and worked on bringing our styles closer together, and I think it paid off. We didn't have a great round in the final though - we were rushed onto the floor and Dale was still tying up his shoe laces out there just before we started!! Ah well there is always next year.

Hi Sarah!

I didn't realise that you had won the Lucky Dip! :clap: :clap: :clap: Many congratulations - but then I am not suprised that you should get placed - having danced with you myself!!!!

Well done also to you and Dale for making the finals of the Advanced - we decided not to enter again when we heard that Dale was wearing that waistcoat again! :whistle: He just looked too good at Blackpool and you didn't look too bad either! :waycool:

The truth is that we decided to have a break and so exhausted ourselves unearthing family secrets in Derbshire instead. Our photo's are mostly of gravestones! :what:

Anyway, hope to meet up with you both soon and again congratulations! :hug:

Elaine

karlhudds
5th-May-2006, 07:17 PM
hi im one of the disqualified couplles
i think we did a first move with a sway

( i was the one in white by the way )

JamesGeary
8th-May-2006, 04:28 PM
Virtually everyone I saw had improved.
Ditto. People were pulling off big moves too which never used to be allowed or happen in the earlier years. People usually can't interpret as much or focus on the music or think about matching styles as much if they are busy planning their next big move. Everyone was juggling more.

Donna
8th-May-2006, 04:33 PM
Ditto. People were pulling off big moves too which never used to be allowed or happen in the earlier years. People usually can't interpret as much or focus on the music or think about matching styles as much if they are busy planning their next big move. Everyone was juggling more.

What's more important in a comp is your timing and connection. I believe you should only have so many big moves lined up and throw them in where necessary. I agree though, until you have done the big moves over and over until they feel second nature to you, doing too many big moves will result in it looking messy from beginning to end. I think 4 or 5 big moves is enough to take to a comp.

Little miss jiver
8th-May-2006, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=WittyBird]Matt is a dream isn't he :D I'm so glad you won something. You looked fabulous on Sunday:flower:

Awww, thanks so much, its weird I didn't intend competing this year then in a panic rang up my friend who makes these kind of dresses, and took whatever was in progress, and it just happened to be the gold dress, but it has the perfect skirt for spinning!

Matts pvc trousers caused us some amusement as 2 minutes before each round I'd say 'where's Matt? ' and someone else would say 'changing his trousers!'

Donna
9th-May-2006, 06:32 PM
Awww, thanks so much, its weird I didn't intend competing this year then in a panic rang up my friend who makes these kind of dresses, and took whatever was in progress, and it just happened to be the gold dress, but it has the perfect skirt for spinning!

Loved the gold dress Sarah!

karlhudds
10th-May-2006, 07:05 PM
What's more important in a comp is your timing and connection. I believe you should only have so many big moves lined up and throw them in where necessary. I agree though, until you have done the big moves over and over until they feel second nature to you, doing too many big moves will result in it looking messy from beginning to end. I think 4 or 5 big moves is enough to take to a comp.

i compleatly agree with the stament you gave, big moves are meant for big showcases not for just dancing. I feel i can only put moves were the come in the music and if the move wont go with the music and timeing, i wont do it !!

even thought i have only bin dancing two years i really feel like an idiot if a move goes wrong

i also feel that some people dont dance to the music , they just dance to the crowd

Gus
10th-May-2006, 09:40 PM
i also feel that some people dont dance to the music , they just dance to the crowdAnd true Champions dance to both :waycool:

ElaineB
11th-May-2006, 07:08 AM
And true Champions dance to both :waycool:

There were only two in the crowd? :whistle:

Elaine

Gus
11th-May-2006, 12:43 PM
There were only two in the crowd? :whistle:
ElaineI would say don't confuse 'Champion' with those who just win an event. I suppose I'm using the term in its wider context ... those who perform to the highest levels ... not just those who make first place. (How's that for back peddling :wink: )

Donna
11th-May-2006, 01:37 PM
i compleatly agree with the stament you gave, big moves are meant for big showcases not for just dancing.

No not just for showcases. I think big moves are important in an advanced/open category too. Well, especially open.

I feel i can only put moves were the come in the music and if the move wont go with the music and timeing, i wont do it !!

That's it!! planning ahead!

even thought i have only bin dancing two years i really feel like an idiot if a move goes wrong

You learn by your mistakes though. Why feel an idiot? You have to know where you are going wrong to put it right. Even then, you'll find other faults in your dancing.. it's soo annoying. Practice makes perfect... eventually.

i also feel that some people dont dance to the music , they just dance to the crowd

Like Gus said, as a competitor, you should be doing both. Me, I dance to the music and the judges. More important. :waycool:

CJ
11th-May-2006, 01:41 PM
Why feel an idiot?

'Cos they tend not to slap you.:whistle:

Donna
11th-May-2006, 01:46 PM
'Cos they tend not to slap you.:whistle:

:rolleyes:

David Franklin
11th-May-2006, 01:55 PM
No not just for showcases. I think big moves are important in an advanced/open category too. Well, especially open. From what I've seen from the Open this year, I think some would have done better if they'd left out the big moves. Yes, they may be flash and get attention, but they're only a small element of the competition. Most importantly, they have a huge potential downside - there's no quicker way to ruin your chances than to mess up a big aerial.

Donna
11th-May-2006, 02:07 PM
From what I've seen from the Open this year, I think some would have done better if they'd left out the big moves. Yes, they may be flash and get attention, but they're only a small element of the competition. Most importantly, they have a huge potential downside - there's no quicker way to ruin your chances than to mess up a big aerial.

This is the problem with risking aerials in freestyle. The lady might not read the right signal which could lead to an accident whereas if it's choreographed and obviously having practiced it over and over, it's going to make it a lot easier that way. However, in freestyle, an aerial might go right but if you execute it really badly, then you lose marks for that too. I think that's why if you're going to do aerials, then best do the those ones that both partners can cope with and are used to. I don't think it's any good learning a big aerial just a few weeks before a competition.. it's just not worth it.

TheTramp
11th-May-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't think it's any good learning a big aerial just a few weeks before a competition.. it's just not worth it.
Yeah. It's much better to do it the day before! :whistle:

Donna
11th-May-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah. It's much better to do it the day before! :whistle:

:rofl: :worthy: I'm talking months before a comp!

TheTramp
11th-May-2006, 03:19 PM
:rofl: :worthy: I'm talking months before a comp!
I know. Must be nice to have that luxury. I'm talking about the day before. Which is usually when I start to practise :whistle:

Donna
11th-May-2006, 03:49 PM
I know. Must be nice to have that luxury. I'm talking about the day before. Which is usually when I start to practise :whistle:

Well considering you practice late you dance very well!!

karlhudds
11th-May-2006, 07:25 PM
it all comes back to breakdancing lol
one of the other types of dance i do lol

they say you can't truly dance "(breakdance that is)" unless you know your tech work

"TECH"(all the foot work and where you place your weight)

i think more about what im doing with my patuner more than it looking good to gudges

*cryes and thinks "if only i smiled more:grin: )

but yes i compleatly agree that as a "competitor" you need to play up to the audience and judges

but one thing i think is dance for them when you need to dance for them but when your just dancing because you can !! do it for the funnnnnnn!!!:clap:

Gus
11th-May-2006, 07:41 PM
i think more about what im doing with my patuner more than it looking good to gudges

but yes i compleatly agree that as a "competitor" you need to play up to the audience and judges

Not sure if its 'playing up' to the judges ..... MJ competitions are about creating a visual spectacle that illustrates the music. If you want to dance where the technical aspects and weight distribution are the crirical factors ... then do Ballroom or Tango?

I think that the dancers at the top of the game, Simon & N, Phil & Yuko etc ARE doing all the technical stuff, but layering superb innovation, musical interpretation and killer moves over the top of it. Its not easy to do ... but is it was the we would all be champions.

Maybe the point to remember is that only the very best can be champions ... competitions are not about 'spreading the love'.

Donna
12th-May-2006, 11:45 AM
Not sure if its 'playing up' to the judges ..... MJ competitions are about creating a visual spectacle that illustrates the music. If you want to dance where the technical aspects and weight distribution are the crirical factors ... then do Ballroom or Tango?

I think that the dancers at the top of the game, Simon & N, Phil & Yuko etc ARE doing all the technical stuff, but layering superb innovation, musical interpretation and killer moves over the top of it. Its not easy to do ... but is it was the we would all be champions.

Maybe the point to remember is that only the very best can be champions ... competitions are not about 'spreading the love'.

Well said Gus! :clap:

dancecrazy
12th-May-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi everybody,
I had a fab time at champs and well done to all of you!
I danced with a girl at the champs who I think is the most amazing dancer ( and I watched her a lot too!). If she'd entered the comps she could've won it! But she never competes. I asked her why and she said she can't find a partner!!!! How can that be possible guys? Can anyone explain?

Donna
12th-May-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi everybody,
I had a fab time at champs and well done to all of you!
I danced with a girl at the champs who I think is the most amazing dancer ( and I watched her a lot too!). If she'd entered the comps she could've won it! But she never competes. I asked her why and she said she can't find a partner!!!! How can that be possible guys? Can anyone explain?

Maybe she can't find one that is suitable for her.

dancecrazy
12th-May-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, she said she'd love to compete, and she's been asking people (in fact many if not all of the guys that were in the comps finals) but they all found themselves another girl for the champs.

Donna
12th-May-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, she said she'd love to compete, and she's been asking people (in fact many if not all of the guys that were in the comps finals) but they all found themselves another girl for the champs.

Well if she was asking most of the guys who were in the finals then they've obviously got a set partner. It must be really frustrating for her though.