PDA

View Full Version : Pure Freestyle Night during the week

stewart38
26th-April-2006, 12:32 PM
Why dont we have more venues that run just pure free style nights during the week ?

Apart from Saturdays as far as im aware its not a regular thing

If you own a few venues why not make one pure free style you could be talking about 50% more 'free style time' . Some intermediate lessons dont finish till after 9.30pm on a typical (8-11pm night)

I can understand why operators who just run one venue may not want to do this

Numbers always seem to increase if there is more free stlye and a later finish times

Add a DWAS and you get 30/40% more punters :yeah:

BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 1ST MAY
--------------------------------------------------------
Pure Freestyle Night with DJ Joe Smooth, at Chesham Park Community College, Chartridge Lane, Chesham starting at 8.00 pm until 11.00 pm.
-------------------------------------------------------

Daisy Chain
26th-April-2006, 12:39 PM
Oh joy! This gets my vote.

Daisy

(A Free-Spirited Little Flower)

Gojive
26th-April-2006, 12:47 PM
This gets my vote too :nice:

Lee
26th-April-2006, 12:53 PM
I find when i turn up late (after intermediate) to a weekday venue i don't get as many dances as i would if i was in the interemdiate class. Is this because people get to see who is there and it breaks the ice for later?

Lee

BobbyA
26th-April-2006, 12:57 PM
I find the same thing too. Dancing in class helps you get to know the people. I get far more dances in classes than in freestyles. Maybe instead of a pure freestyle night have only 1 class aimed for improvers which is a little shorter?

johnthehappyguy
26th-April-2006, 01:31 PM
This gets my vote too :nice:
:yeah:

Donna
26th-April-2006, 01:42 PM
It's a great idea, but are we talking about finishing freestyle like normal time on a Saturday - 12.00 - 12.30? Not sure many people would stick around so late with having to work the next day.

another thing is that it wouldn't attract many beginners. They'll feel as though they are not learning anything.

Aleks
26th-April-2006, 01:56 PM
another thing is that it wouldn't attract many beginners. They'll feel as though they are not learning anything.

Maybe they'll enjoy a night where there's no need to learn anything. Give them a different perspective about what dancing is: pure fun!

under par
26th-April-2006, 02:05 PM
I find the same thing too. Dancing in class helps you get to know the people. I get far more dances in classes than in freestyles. Maybe instead of a pure freestyle night have only 1 class aimed for improvers which is a little shorter?

I agree with Stewart here there are loads of Class nights already.

As an alternative I would like a pure freestyle evening other than a Saturday.

We go to Dorking and Surbiton in the week as well as Roctsers in Shoreham and classes always seem to overrun so freestyle doesn't start until 940 or so and if its 11 finish you can see how little freestyle time there is.

At least Andy Mac has a 1130 finish but even his classes are prone to overrrun eating into this time.

So in an area where there are enough class nights where isthe entrepreneur sp? who wants to try out a Freestyle only night???:clap: :clap:

Donna
26th-April-2006, 02:08 PM
Maybe they'll enjoy a night where there's no need to learn anything. Give them a different perspective about what dancing is: pure fun!

If I was a beginner I'd find it frustrating - just wanting to get out onto the dance floor on not being able to do it.

Lory
26th-April-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh joy! This gets my vote.

:yeah: Stewart, you have surpassed yourself! :cheers:

under par
26th-April-2006, 02:20 PM
If I was a beginner I'd find it frustrating - just wanting to get out onto the dance floor on not being able to do it.

Oh god bleeding hearts again !!! Come on live and let live

What we are saying is IF there are enough other nights where beginners could get their lessons elsewhere it would be nice for all who would like to only freestyle to have the opprtunity to freestyle for longer.

Surely every week night doesn't have to be put on purely with lessons in mind there are other people with money who may wish to pay for another product.

I personally drove recently to Weston for a 6and half hour freestyle... and Oxford for a 5 hour freestyle. I could have danced for up to hour and a half or 2 hours locally but I like lots of freestyle time .

I pay my money and take my choice.

Beginners intermediates or advanced dancers who prefer lessons have it everynight of the week.
Beginners intermediates or advanced dancers who don't like lots of freestyle have that option every night of the week.

There is room for another type of event i believe.

and why should the lowest common denomintor should always rule the roost.

Donna
26th-April-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh god bleeding hearts again !!! Come on live and let live

Again?

What we are saying is IF there are enough other nights where beginners could get their lessons elsewhere it would be nice for all who would like to only freestyle to have the opprtunity to freestyle for longer.

Ok well that would be better then. I've known a few beginners in the past who simply haven't had enough lessons and come along to freestyles but they didn't enjoy. Some went to other classes to improve, others quit. It's hard up here though whereas down south there are more jive venues so more choice and therefore stand a good chance of picking it up better in order to enjoy a good freestyle night.

Surely every week night doesn't have to be put on purely with lessons in mind there are other people with money who may wish to pay for another product.

I sometimes wish we could have a freestyle night in the week instead of a lesson. Maybe if it was done once a month in the week? They do that in my linedance classes once a month - no lessons and just dance dance dance all night. It's great!

TiggsTours
26th-April-2006, 03:36 PM
I find when i turn up late (after intermediate) to a weekday venue i don't get as many dances as i would if i was in the interemdiate class. Is this because people get to see who is there and it breaks the ice for later?
Funny, I find the opposite.

It's a great idea, but are we talking about finishing freestyle like normal time on a Saturday - 12.00 - 12.30? Not sure many people would stick around so late with having to work the next day.
Why would it need to finish late? A night of freestyle from 8-11, would get my vote, and my money!

If I was a beginner, I wouldn't go, I'd stick to any of the countless dance nights on any other night of the week where there is a class.

I guess that means a pure freestyle night would only work in an area where there is plenty of dancing available, like London, and that there is the danger other local venues may suffer from not having good dancers going to their venue, so nobody to dance with the beginners. That may be why franchises haven't done it, they'd be damaging their own business elsewhere. If they were to offer free entry to the good dancers that go there to their other venue, maybe on a loyalty scheme, then it might work.

MartinHarper
26th-April-2006, 03:46 PM
Surely every week night doesn't have to be put on purely with lessons in mind

Most regular weeknights have both lessons and a substantial proportion of freestyle, so I don't see that they are put on purely with lessons in mind. It's pretty much a compromise. At weekends and special events, organisers can be more niche, which is why you see both pure freestyle events and pure workshop events taking place outside the regular weekly structure.

under par
26th-April-2006, 04:08 PM
Again?

Not just you Donna but how many times must I hear but what if this group or what if that group aren't happy with a suggestion or change to format "ceroc night" "leroc night".

Its either you are evil elitists for wanting to have something that might be enjoyable to only a smaller minority group of dancers.

Or how evil for changing the format so that old poor so and so from " whatever grouping you want to name" might not like it and might find it difficult/different/not what he's used too.

It seems you are not allowed to say " I would like this because it is what I want to pay for"

If others don't like! don't go , don't pay, go elsewhere.

Why can't you show a preference for something different.

I personally enjoy classes when I want to do them.

Often though what I really want to do lots more freestyle but I am restricted by the current weekday dance classes to an hour or hour and a half.

I travel miles and miles for me and Mrs Par to get as much freestyle as possible.

Why can't I ask for the opportunity to pay for what I would like to do without having people telling me how rotten I am for wanting to.

Live and let live . Stop trying to put me in the straight jacket of everyone elses existence.

(Sorry its a bit of a rant) AGAIN! I am tired ... been on night shift last 2 nights

stewart38
26th-April-2006, 04:34 PM
Most regular weeknights have both lessons and a substantial proportion of freestyle, so I don't see that they are put on purely with lessons in mind. It's pretty much a compromise. At weekends and special events, organisers can be more niche, which is why you see both pure freestyle events and pure workshop events taking place outside the regular weekly structure.

If Tescos thought like that they would still only have 1 shop !

You have to change to the market needs .

A standard night could run say 8pm to 11pm

The beginners lesson starts at 8.10pm (always late) finishes at 8.55pm then 10 mins free style

9.05pm to 9.45pm Intermediate. A few announcements and then free style from 9.50pm to 11pm

So that’s 1hr 20 mins of free style against 3 hrs (If free style stated as advertised at 8pm)

If your in business its no good saying you can get your Steak on a Saturday but we ONLY do Steak and chips on Wednesday .If enough people don’t want chips on Wednesday and only Steak someone some one somewhere will supply them with Just STEAK on Wednesday

Look how the weekender market is changing

So from next Tuesday 3.5hrs of uninterrupted freestyle from 7.30pm to 11pm in a Tesco car park TBA :yeah:

under par
26th-April-2006, 04:40 PM
If Tescos thought like that they would still only have 1 shop !

Look how the weekender market is changing

So from next Tuesday 3.5hrs of uninterrupted freestyle from 7.30pm to 11pm in a Tesco car park TBA :yeah:

The following week on Wednesday Waitrose have a special on.. :yeah:

2 for 1 in the carpark 7 till 11.10 pm

Parking free:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

stewart38
26th-April-2006, 04:43 PM
The following week on Wednesday Waitrose have a special on.. :yeah:

2 for 1 in the carpark 7 till 11.10 pm

Parking free:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Due to unforseen circumstances (too many Joy riders cutting up the dancers)
this venue has had to be closed :sad:

Frankie_4711
26th-April-2006, 04:50 PM

I'll be there!!! I'd love a freestyle only night around here ... the weekend freestyles are difficult for me to get to, so I only get the hour and a bit on the class nights - would love to do more!

Toby wan Kenobe
26th-April-2006, 05:08 PM
Hmmmm,

The new FunkyLush venue in Burnham is free on Thursday nights.
No class, 3 hours of freestyle from 8-11pm is possible.

- What music do you want? - The 'full Kenobe' or a broader mix?
- Do you want a bar or are you happy to BYO?
- Will you still come to monthly FLs dances and T-dances if you can get your fill on a Thursday night?

Go ahead, make my day....:clap:
TwK

Gojive
26th-April-2006, 05:10 PM
Due to unforseen circumstances (too many Joy riders cutting up the dancers)
this venue has had to be closed :sad:

There was a small independant supermarket just round the corner that we could have used...but they've just been bought out my Tesco! :whistle:

Donna - I see you concerns, but I think (hope) that no one in favour of this, is advocating replacing/changing class nights, just having a dedicated freestyle in addition to them? - therefore no level of dancer loses out*

* Although I have to admit, this by Tiggstours is a potential problem:

"there is the danger other local venues may suffer from not having good dancers going to their venue, so nobody to dance with the beginners"

Mary
26th-April-2006, 05:17 PM
Hmmmm,

- Will you still come to monthly FLs dances and T-dances if you can get your fill on a Thursday night?

TwK

Aaargh, no, not Thursday. Any day but Thursday. I would have to make a huge sacrifice, but Burnham would probably win, dammit.

M

Donna
26th-April-2006, 05:32 PM
there is the danger other local venues may suffer from not having good dancers going to their venue, so nobody to dance with the beginners"

Exactly what has happened in my local. Because the level of dancers are so poor, all the good dancers left to go to a nearby venue (which is full of good dancers) and now their is nobody for the beginners to dance with so they don't make much progress and then come the freestyles... it's a nightmare to get a good dance.

Chef
26th-April-2006, 05:57 PM
Exactly what has happened in my local. Because the level of dancers are so poor, all the good dancers left to go to a nearby venue (which is full of good dancers) and now their is nobody for the beginners to dance with so they don't make much progress and then come the freestyles... it's a nightmare to get a good dance.

I think that I have come across the inverse of this. There is a venue in my area where all the persistantly bad dancers have left their normal venues to go to. It has become, for want of a better term a "sink venue". We have visited it about 4 times over the past 3 years and the beginners never stop being beginners and the people we know that used to frequent other venues are at the same standard as they were 4 years ago.

It is just so very odd. I think the teacher there is and extremely nice guy and passionate about dance and works very hard and does as good a job, or better than I have seen at most places. The pupils just seem to take absolutely no notice of what is said.

Within a 20 mile radius it is the biggest single reason for the overall increase in the standard of dancing at all the other venues in the past 3 years.

Northants Girly
26th-April-2006, 06:02 PM
Exactly what has happened in my local. Because the level of dancers are so poor, all the good dancers left to go to a nearby venue (which is full of good dancers) and now their is nobody for the beginners to dance with so they don't make much progress and then come the freestyles... it's a nightmare to get a good dance.Do the crew (teacher, demo, taxis etc) dance with these poor beginners at all? :confused:

Zebra Woman
26th-April-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmmmm,

TwK

Oh yes please! This sounds good :clap: :clap: :clap: . Tuesday would be preferable for me, but I can live with Thursday.

In answer to your quesions...

Slightly broader than Kenobe mix, but not much.
A bar would be nice but not essential for me.
Yes I would still come to FL dances T dances.*

* IMO there are now too many T dances to choose from. A year ago it was once a month and I knew where I was. Now they are so frequent that I can't manage them all and nor can my friends. :tears: I hate missing them and I feel like I miss one once a fortnight now. :sad: I'm just jealous, sorry.:flower:

ZW:flower:

Donna
26th-April-2006, 06:22 PM
Do the crew (teacher, demo, taxis etc) dance with these poor beginners at all? :confused:

The guy who runs it has only two taxi dancers on every week and they are more like lower intermediate level. Don't think many beginners get to dance with them by the time he has finished the intermediate session.

Cruella
26th-April-2006, 06:28 PM
Slightly broader than Kenobe mix, but not much.
A bar would be nice but not essential for me.
Yes I would still come to FL dances T dances.*

:
I agree with ZW on these points but personally if it was a choice between driving all that way for a thursday evening or going down to london for a weekend freestyle. The weekend would win, due to having to work on friday:sick: and the longer freestyle time. But if i lived locally to the venue it would be a different matter.

Northants Girly
26th-April-2006, 06:28 PM
The guy who runs it has only two taxi dancers on every week and they are more like lower intermediate level. Don't think many beginners get to dance with them by the time he has finished the intermediate session. . . . and does this guy dance with them?

I presume he has a demo. Does she dance with them?

Donna
26th-April-2006, 06:38 PM
. . . and does this guy dance with them?

I presume he has a demo. Does she dance with them?

Yeah he does.. I'm his demo. and of course I dance with as many as poss.:nice: ( less when a comp is coming up though. )

stewart38
26th-April-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmmmm,

TwK

Im thick

Is this on now or hypothetical

Why free ?

A general mix of music

Id do both

I wouldnt miss lessons all together as its still a good way to learn and meet people

Maybe have a venue thats free style only once every 3 weeks

Piglet
26th-April-2006, 07:39 PM
I think this is a jolly good idea.

And...

I don't think it would have to happen as regularly as every week at first either - maybe once a fortnight or once a month. Mind you, it would be difficult to decide on a night for it in Aberdeen - so it didn't clash with Brechin, it would possibly have to happen on a Monday. Can't think of a better start to the week though :D

(Although on the downside - I bet that some people would drop out of the other nights to balance things out). I think its worth a try perhaps...

Toby wan Kenobe
26th-April-2006, 10:27 PM
No it's not on now.
The Burnham venue is free - as in available, but like most venues, prefers regular weekly customers and sets its prices accordingly. Once every 3 weeks would cost more and may not be commercially viable.

TwK

Is this on now or hypothetical
Why free ?
Maybe have a venue thats free style only once every 3 weeks

spindr
27th-April-2006, 12:20 AM
No it's not on now.
The Burnham venue is free - as in available, but like most venues, prefers regular weekly customers and sets its prices accordingly. Once every 3 weeks would cost more and may not be commercially viable.

TwK
Isn't there a venue in Ealing that's free on a Tuesday?

SpinDr.

djtrev
27th-April-2006, 11:24 AM
We started a weekly Friday evening 'freestyle' night about 2/3 months ago.
7:45/11:00 with a short(40 min) fun intermediate lesson.
There was nothing on locally so it seemed a good move to cater for Mj'ers from both Creoc and the local independants.
The first couple of weeks numbers were ok as people came to test the water as it were,but the numbers have gone down quite surprisingly.Perhaps every week is to regular and maybe once a month would be more realistic.
As from May 4th Ceroc are opening up in Norwich on aThursday as well as their other nights which now means that there will be the chance to dance every night of the week in Norwich.
Over saturation or not?

robd
27th-April-2006, 01:57 PM
classes always seem to overrun so freestyle doesn't start until 940 or so and if its 11 finish you can see how little freestyle time there is.

Lucky you! Cambridge last night - intermediate class ran until at least 9.30 and probably a little afterwards (I didn't have a watch on) and the night finished (as always) at 10.30 (promptly, even to the extent of stopping the last record short). This make my occasional habit of turning up just for the freestyle session a real gamble as you may get less than one hour's dancing in total.

Robert

Northants Girly
27th-April-2006, 01:59 PM
This make my occasional habit of turning up just for the freestyle session a real gamble as you may get less than one hour's dancing in total.Why don't you start coming to Milton Keynes on a Wednesday instead then? :whistle:

robd
27th-April-2006, 02:08 PM
Why don't you start coming to Milton Keynes on a Wednesday instead then? :whistle:

Because **** Dave might be DJing :sick:

Though the prospect of Marc's teaching is tempting I must say the 45 minute drive is less so :sad:

Zebra Woman
27th-April-2006, 02:19 PM
Because **** Dave might be DJing :sick:

I have been working on him since last September, absolutley no luck so far :sad: . Will let you know if I ever get anywhere. Angelique is joining in now, so watch this space. :wink:

On topic:

Personally I would love a weekday night of pure freestyle.

Ideally at the MK venue with Marc as the DJ. Yeah that would be awesome :clap: .

Lory
27th-April-2006, 04:13 PM
I'd love it if Friday nights at Chesham were purely freestyle every couple of weeks :o

SilverFox
27th-April-2006, 04:37 PM
I'd love it if Friday nights at Chesham were purely freestyle every couple of weeks :oTotally agree. I was going to go there tomorrow, but it's an hours drive each way for such a short freestyle with the classes always running so late. :sad: Think I'll give it a miss.

jacksondonut
28th-April-2006, 05:38 PM

I have been working on him since last September, absolutley no luck so far :sad: . Will let you know if I ever get anywhere. Angelique is joining in now, so watch this space. :wink:

On topic:

Personally I would love a weekday night of pure freestyle.

Ideally at the MK venue with Marc as the DJ. Yeah that would be awesome :clap: .

Being a MK local I havent ventured to Bletchley for a very long time...... but I would love what you are suggesting... it is a shame it clashes with WCS in Twickers....:sad: :sad: these days I am far more tempted to travel further to get a more enjoyable evening, than suffer 'you know who's ''
musical tastes...:yeah: (which is just on my doorstep) :(

Yogi_Bear
30th-April-2006, 10:52 PM
We started a weekly Friday evening 'freestyle' night about 2/3 months ago.
7:45/11:00 with a short(40 min) fun intermediate lesson.
There was nothing on locally so it seemed a good move to cater for Mj'ers from both Creoc and the local independants.
The first couple of weeks numbers were ok as people came to test the water as it were,but the numbers have gone down quite surprisingly.Perhaps every week is to regular and maybe once a month would be more realistic.
As from May 4th Ceroc are opening up in Norwich on aThursday as well as their other nights which now means that there will be the chance to dance every night of the week in Norwich.
Over saturation or not?
I would be interested to see how that turns out, especially as Ceroc now runs other nights at Beccles and Holt. Norfolk has always seemed to have a large number of MJ class nights considering the size of the catchment. But it's a considerable journey (especially from north of Norwich) to try other venues and other styles, so to somje extent the operators have a captive audience....

djtrev
1st-May-2006, 01:07 PM
.... But it's a considerable journey (especially from north of Norwich) to try other venues and other styles, ....

When I read of the frequency and distance that people such as Cruella,Fletch and Zebra Woman undertake in their search for a good nights dancing I feel a bit a fraud when I complain about having to travel about 25/50 miles.And I'm getting paid to go!!!

RogerR
1st-May-2006, 01:25 PM
Years ago Friday was freestyle night, always a short class but then three hours of freestyle then to Garfunkels to refresh!

The point of a short class is to define the start time, i.e. beginners please arrive for the class, others arrive during the class and be ready to dance immediately after.

Without a class the freestyles can drift to a later and later start time with early arrivers leaving before late arrivers. Giving a high headcount but few dances

Mike Allsopp
10th-May-2006, 02:30 AM
Why dont we have more venues that run just pure free style nights during the week ?

Telford has just opened a new friday evening venue called Joshua's - Pure Freestyle every Friday 7.45pm 'til 11.15pm.
I think you can only do it if you have a regular class night running in the area too (in this case Oakengates Theatre) as survival and growth depends heavily on a constant influx of new members.
Pure freestyle nights are also great because you only need a door manager and a DJ - no teacher/demo/taxi dancer concerns!

Cruella
10th-May-2006, 12:44 PM
When I read of the frequency and distance that people such as Cruella,Fletch and Zebra Woman undertake in their search for a good nights dancing I feel a bit a fraud when I complain about having to travel about 25/50 miles.And I'm getting paid to go!!!
The car journeys are part of the evenings entertainment, Trust me!

under par
10th-May-2006, 12:48 PM
The car journeys are part of the evenings entertainment, Trust me!

Your journey may well be part of the entertainment!!

but watching Mrs Par, in full recline, catch flies is hardly Bafta material is it:really:

Cruella
10th-May-2006, 12:50 PM

but watching Mrs Par, in full recline, catch flies is hardly Bafta material is it:really:
Guess that depends on what flies she's catching!

SilverFox
10th-May-2006, 12:52 PM

but watching Mrs Par, in full recline, catch flies is hardly Bafta material is it:really:*splutter* :rofl: :rofl:

I love it!

.....but i will use it against you.... :devil:

Lory
10th-May-2006, 12:52 PM
Gosh, I hope she doesn't read that :what: I'd prefer it if you were still in perfect dancing order, next time we meet :whistle:

under par
10th-May-2006, 01:11 PM
Gosh, I hope she doesn't read that :what: I'd prefer it if you were still in perfect dancing order, next time we meet :whistle:

Ooops who has logged on and is using my account to write these things about Mrs Par...???

Terrible:eek: :eek: hope she does not read it!

Mr SF can I buy you a pint at our next joint venue??:hug: :hug: :hug: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rhythm King
10th-May-2006, 01:41 PM
*splutter* :rofl: :rofl:

I love it!

.....but i will use it against you.... :devil:
:yeah: :devil:

R-K:wink:

under par
10th-May-2006, 01:50 PM
:yeah: :devil:

R-K:wink:

RK can I get you a drink too?:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Chef
10th-May-2006, 02:10 PM
RK can I get you a drink too?:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

The forum is a big place.

I hope you have deep pockets.

There endeth the fourth lesson about posting things on the forum.

fletch
10th-May-2006, 02:59 PM
Totally agree. I was going to go there tomorrow, but it's an hours drive each way for such a short freestyle with the classes always running so late. :sad: Think I'll give it a miss.
Your such a light weight SF, I have done Chesham several times on a Friday now, try 4 hrs drive, but I suppose it is one way and made a weekend of it:clap: