PDA

View Full Version : Please use my forum alias

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 09:24 AM
Sorry, if the next few lines sound stropy!

Firstly, I love my real name and am very proud of it!
When I signed on this forum I chose not to use my real name to identify me. The people that need to know my name know it but I dont want it broadcast! I know of a few others that feel the same way about the use of their real name on the forum. So please in future (for me at at least) use Msfab and not my real name when referring to me.

Thank you

:flower:

SilverFox
26th-April-2006, 09:51 AM
You're being quite anal on such a banal subject aren't you? ....

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 09:56 AM
You're being quite anal on such a banal subject aren't you? ....

I dont think so and hence the thread!:(

Very funny! Banal, Canal Im bored of these now!

Lou
26th-April-2006, 10:04 AM
If I know someone outside the forum, I find it really awkward to call them by their forum name in real life. And that still applies to people I knew on here before I met them.

Of course there are noticible exceptions. I couldn't imagine Gadget not being Gadget, for instance. But then, that's his nickname.

TheTramp
26th-April-2006, 10:19 AM
More and more people seem to be calling me Trampy.

I hope that's a reference to my forum name. And not for any other reason!

Tazmanian Devil
26th-April-2006, 10:32 AM

When I signed on this forum I chose not to use my real name to identify me. The people that need to know my name know it but I dont want it broadcast! I know of a few others that feel the same way about the use of their real name on the forum. So please in future (for me at at least) use Msfab and not my real name when referring to me.

Thank you

I know a few that feel this way also and IMHO if thats what you want then thats fine. We should All resect eachothers wishes with this. :nice:

I personally don't mind either way with my name, as I get called Taz outside of the forum just as much as I do my real name.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :whistle: :whistle:

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 10:40 AM
Outside of the forum please by all means use my real name or forum name. But when posting, Id like it that people use my forum name - Unless of course your forum name is your real name!

ducasi
26th-April-2006, 12:09 PM
My preference is that folks use my online name online, and my real name in real life.

But I'm not going to complain when people don't. I have been known to respond to "hey you!"

Zebra Woman
26th-April-2006, 12:09 PM
MsFab I think this poll is a good idea. There are many reasons why people may not want their real name to be posted on here, and your poll is going to give them the perfect opporunity to express that preference before any harm is done.

I do remember a Forumite friend of mine being referred to by her real name on here by a newbie and she was gutted. Complaining at the time just draws attention, and after all the horse has bolted by then.

For me, I am happy either way. BUT I do find the shorthand ZW nice, but very frustrating on here. I cannot do a search on 'ZW' as it's too short a phrase, so sometimes when people have used my name in vain on here, I don't find it 'till months later. Eh CJ? :devil:

Mary
26th-April-2006, 12:13 PM
Outside of the forum please by all means use my real name or forum name. But when posting, Id like it that people use my forum name - Unless of course your forum name is your real name!

What about in PM's? 'Cos you're scary and I wouldn't dare:what: to p*ss you off.

M

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 12:17 PM
What about in PM's? 'Cos you're scary and I wouldn't dare:what: to p*ss you off.

PMs are private so you can call me anything you want, Mary!:rolleyes:

drathzel
26th-April-2006, 12:21 PM
Please call me anything you wish to, on or off the forum, from the options below

Drathzel
Dee
Danielle

Please do not call me dan or dannii, i has taken me long enough to rid myself of the friends that do than to have to start again:D

I do agree with msfab that people do want their identities kept to themselves on a public forum, i however dont mind, but respect others choices!:flower:

Cruella
26th-April-2006, 12:28 PM
I personally don't care what people call me as long as it's nice. :flower: Although i do find it quite amusing when people come up to me and ask if i'm Cruella, i wonder what reaction they would get if they had asked someone else by mistake.:rolleyes:
Must admit to being quite anal when someone calls me 'Diane', my name is 'Diana', but friends use 'Di'. :hug:

Piglet
26th-April-2006, 12:35 PM
Great thread!

I don't mind my real name being used on here because I myself have posted it at times.

Mind you, after an incident with a beginner in Aberdeen it made me think twice I must admit - especially as he must have used the internet to find out more about me. Thankfully a stern word with him has worked, and I'm aware that he reads this - even though he has posted annonymously, however, I wouldn't hesitate in taking things further if I felt I needed to.

Edit: if I hadn't already posted my own name - I'd say stick to the forum name (shucks! No-one to blame but my big fat gob!)

Gojive
26th-April-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't mind my real name being used on here (Iain), but I fully understand, and respect the wishes of those who would prefer to remain anonymous :flower:

I've named others once or twice in past postings, and I have to admit to thinking 'oops! - should I have done that?', so it's nice to know for the future :)

Lee
26th-April-2006, 12:58 PM

Thank you

Hi Bob, I'm rubbish at remembering peoples real names, so you don't have to worry about me :whistle:

I don't have that problem on the forum :rofl:

Lee

CJ
26th-April-2006, 01:15 PM
so sometimes when people have used my name in vain on here, I don't find it 'till months later. Eh CJ? :devil:

What have I done now?!?!?:innocent:

Robert, Bob, Ceroc Jock all fine.

Am liking CJ though!!!:devil: :D :devil:

Northants Girly
26th-April-2006, 01:17 PM
I voted for just my forum name to be used but it's not a major deal to me if anyone forgets :)

NG is fine too :na:

under par
26th-April-2006, 01:24 PM
PMs are private so you can call me anything you want, Mary!:rolleyes:

okay you asked for it just you wait.:D

People always refer to me as UP but I'd much rather be U.P.:innocent:

under par
26th-April-2006, 01:25 PM
I voted for just my forum name to be used but it's not a major deal to me if anyone forgets :)

Thats okay then Anne.

Wave Dancer
26th-April-2006, 01:27 PM

But of course! although....... <taps fingers with a cheeky grin> I've 'heard' otherwise.

As for me - well considering this is my first post on this forum - Wave Dancer is fine for now. But if you want to know more, I guess you'll have to just meet me when I come over from Australia in June :yum: :whistle:

Northants Girly
26th-April-2006, 01:30 PM
As for me - well considering this is my first post on this forum - Wave Dancer is fine for now. But if you want to know more, I guess you'll have to just meet me when I come over from Australia in June :yum: :whistle:Welcome to the forum :flower:

Maybe you could put some more info in your profile and maybe even a pic then we'll all have more chance of finding you in June :D

Wave Dancer
26th-April-2006, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the forum :flower:

Maybe you could put some more info in your profile and maybe even a pic then we'll all have more chance of finding you in June :D

Hi! :nice:

Yup - just done the Profile update. I'll have to download some pics of me first and change their size - so thought I'd just pick a pic from the list for the moment.

Really looking forward to coming over! Still trying to organise accommodation and a job etc etc. Does this forum have any sort of accommodation thread? Am keen to gather contacts. :flower:

Lory
26th-April-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't mind either way but it's been nice when friends have written Lorraine in things like the birthday thread, or when my daughter had her accident, it just felt more personal. :hug:

But in everyday forum life, its just easier to call me Lory , as it saves any confusion :nice:

TheTramp
26th-April-2006, 02:14 PM
But if you want to know more, I guess you'll have to just meet me when I come over from Australia in June :yum: :whistle:

Run away. Far away!! :whistle:

Mary
26th-April-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't want anyone, ever, to use my real name on the forum. D'you hear?
Never. :angry:

Lory
26th-April-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't want anyone, ever, to use my real name on the forum. D'you hear?
Never. :angry:
We can see how you got your REAL name Mary :whistle:

FYI Mary's real name begins with S and ends in Y :wink: :D

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 02:49 PM
FYI Mary's real name begins with S and ends in Y :wink: :D

Sarcy M:whistle:

ToeTrampler
26th-April-2006, 02:58 PM
Edit: if I hadn't already posted my own name - I'd say stick to the forum name (shucks! No-one to blame but my big fat gob!)
Don't worry "Christina" :wink:

Mary
26th-April-2006, 03:03 PM
Sarcy M:whistle:

Are you going to WCS tonight? Just pray we're not partnered!

M

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 03:29 PM
Are you going to WCS tonight? Just pray we're not partnered!

I am! And I very much look forward to partnering you, Mary!:clap:

Your barks much more worse than your bite!

Mary
26th-April-2006, 03:34 PM
I am! And I very much look forward to partnering you, Mary!:clap:

Your barks much more worse than your bite!

And what about the boxing gloves on your avatar? Hmmm?

Sorry guys - straying off thread. Humble apologies.:flower:

M

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 03:58 PM
And what about the boxing gloves on your avatar? Hmmm?

What gloves?:whistle:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-April-2006, 04:02 PM
Ashley, Ash, Jazz, Ashbash, Ashers... woteva :na:

Martin
26th-April-2006, 04:08 PM
But of course! although....... <taps fingers with a cheeky grin> I've 'heard' otherwise.

As for me - well considering this is my first post on this forum - Wave Dancer is fine for now. But if you want to know more, I guess you'll have to just meet me when I come over from Australia in June :yum: :whistle:

June huh -don't worry Marnie, I won't tell if you don't

As to me - forum name or real name, both ok

Martin

philsmove
26th-April-2006, 04:13 PM
As some people do not want their real name used, it would seem polite, not to use people’s real names on the forum unless you are 100 % sure is OK

Ok my real name is Philip a lot of people call me Phil

I answer to both :)

But I was not at all happy when someone reviled my surname :mad:

Martin
26th-April-2006, 04:18 PM
As some people do not want their real name used, it would seem polite, not to use people’s real names on the forum unless you are 100 % sure is OK

Ok my real name is Philip a lot of people call me Phil

I answer to both :)

Have you got an embarissing surname?

Minnie M
26th-April-2006, 04:19 PM
Minnie Mouse was my nickname when I was at school, so am used to it. However it is strange being recognised as Minnie at dances - makes a change though, as I was beginning to think my real name was Lyndaslist :whistle:

Nowadays, my oldest dancing friends say "I knew her when she was called Lynda Gocher"

I don't mind what name I am called, however I agree with Msfab, when on the forum it makes life a lot easier to use forum names, however in the real world of dancing (in the dance halls that is) it is nice to be known as your 'birth' name too

Sheepman
26th-April-2006, 04:19 PM
use Msfab and not my real name Phew! :really: Just checked, and I came up not guilty. :D

I think it's fair enough to keep your real ID under wraps on a public forum for plenty of reasons. I have concerns about identity theft, and I supoose the more unusual your name, the easier it is for you to be tracked down on the internet.
I think many people go through the phase of wanting their real ID to be hidden when they first join the forum, purely for fun, but for most of us that wears off after a while. Maybe we need a flag on the profile as a reminder of those who don't want their real name referred to here? I know I won't remember to check the vote here before I post something that may refer to someone I know well.

Greg
aka Sheepman, Sheepie, Sheepy, Oi, Stupid, ...

doc martin
26th-April-2006, 04:20 PM
I would have thought smove was a really good surname for an MJer. Especially when said with an estruary accent.

Martin
26th-April-2006, 04:29 PM
Minnie Mouse was my nickname when I was at school, so am used to it. However it is strange being recognised as Minnie at dances - makes a change though, as I was beginning to think my real name was Lyndaslist :whistle:

Nowadays, my oldest dancing friends say "I knew her when she was called Lynda Gocher"

I don't mind what name I am called, however I agree with Msfab, when on the forum it makes life a lot easier to use forum names, however in the real world of dancing (in the dance halls that is) it is nice to be known as your 'birth' name too

Hey I once knew a Lynda Gocher - great dancer from "down south"

Used to always say to me 'you are so much better when you are not drunk'

All true I guess....

Minnie M
26th-April-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey I once knew a Lynda Gocher - great dancer from "down south"

Used to always say to me 'you are so much better when you are not drunk'

All true I guess....
:rofl: :rofl:
well, you are a bit of a dance legend now :respect: :worthy: with and without the alcohol

BTW when you coming to see us again :D would love to see you teaching a trouble class that includes 2 beautiful ladies on your shoulders :respect: :worthy:

Martin
26th-April-2006, 05:04 PM
well, you are a bit of a dance legend now :respect: :worthy: with and without the alcohol

BTW when you coming to see us again :D would love to see you teaching a trouble class that includes 2 beautiful ladies on your shoulders :respect: :worthy:

now mostly dance without alcohol (see, sometimes I listen) :worthy: :worthy:

Hah, as to teaching people to flip 2 girls onto their shoulders.... :blush: hmm
Methinks that would be a VERY small workshop... :sick: :kiss:

Gojive
26th-April-2006, 05:17 PM
now mostly dance without alcohol (see, sometimes I listen) :worthy: :worthy:

I've started going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting everyweek :eek: ... I still drink, but just under a different name :D

Sorry :blush: , I'll get my coat...

Martin
26th-April-2006, 05:26 PM
I've started going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting everyweek :eek: ... I still drink, but just under a different name :D

Sorry :blush: , I'll get my coat...

It's Anonymous right... so how on earth did you hear about it??? :sick: :sick:

philsmove
26th-April-2006, 05:46 PM
Have you got an embarissing surname?

No but this is a public forum

MJ is part of what I consider my private / personal life

And for lots of reasons I like a degree of privacy

I don’t want my surname on the forum any more than I want my phone number or my address

Gojive
26th-April-2006, 05:51 PM
It's Anonymous right... so how on earth did you hear about it??? :sick: :sick:

Heh! It was purely by accident. There I was, very merrily going about my way, when things started to go wrong. I was basically heading for a breakdown! It's all a bit of a blur now, but it's an easy mistake to make when you think abut it A? A?

Still, I'm making a half full recovery now :waycool:

Martin
26th-April-2006, 05:59 PM
No but this is a public forum

MJ is part of what I consider my private / personal life

And for lots of reasons I like a degree of privacy

I don’t want my surname on the forum any more than I want my phone number or my address

So let's try to understand this...

MJ is your private / personal life, and you also wish to be on a public forum about your "private / personal life" .... :grin:

Ghost
26th-April-2006, 06:35 PM
Given that I sign everything "Christopher", I'm quite happy with that. Ghost is cool too.

I can tell what mood a certain Forumite is in depending on whether she calls me Ghost or Christopher in posts though :whistle:

As long as there aren't any photos of me on the Forum, I'm a happy bunny :clap:

Be Well,
Christopher

philsmove
26th-April-2006, 06:54 PM
So let's try to understand this...

MJ is your private / personal life, and you also wish to be on a public forum about your "private / personal life" .... :grin:

The whole idea of an alias is to have a degree of anonymity

One of the nice things about this forum and MJ generally, is that dancers normally respect other dancers wishes

They may not agree, with what they do, say or post, but that's a different matter

But we live in a world of change

If the members of this forum think its OK to reveal member’s personal details with out their permission then I for one want no part of it

Trousers
26th-April-2006, 06:55 PM
Is there more to all of this as in - 'belonging'.

i.e Belonging to a group

We all belong to the group that does this thing called dancing so we feel special, I hope.

But then, we want to feel more special and belong more, so we join sub groups, we opt for salsa, blues, lindy whatever or in this case, The Forum - where the members know who you are and refer to you in ways people outside the group can't. Like a secret club.

So we want to be known by our nicknames to keep the secret and continue to belong to the group? Seems logical to me.

Don't remember my old name anyway

Trousers
26th-April-2006, 06:56 PM
Just as an aside I think Nicknames are a very blokey thing - work on a building site or in engineering and very few blokes are actually known by their names, more by their attributes or lack of them. Even at school the boys call each other by nicknames rather than use the real name. Women don't tend to do this probably because they wouldn't start a nickname incase it was hurtful whereas blokes just do it and be damned.

El Salsero Gringo
26th-April-2006, 09:02 PM
Women don't tend to do this probably because they wouldn't start a nickname incase it was hurtful whereas blokes just do it and be damned.I love your stereotype that women (especially schoolgirls) so much more protective of each other's feelings than boys or men.

Gadget
26th-April-2006, 10:11 PM
I actually "Talk" to people more here than in real life (too busy dancing :waycool: ) - I only know people by their forum handle. If you prefer to be called by something different, I appologise in advance. :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-April-2006, 10:43 PM
Ok, great so we're all in agreement that we will call people by their forum alias or real name depending on what they want. So can we stop all the fuss and talk about something else now?:rolleyes: Like...DANCING :innocent:

sake man :whistle: :rofl:

Magic Hans
26th-April-2006, 11:32 PM
Must say, MS, it is a very good subject to raise.

I fully agree and accept to only use names published. Some, such as myself, and Ghost, have nicknames, but often (if not always) sign with their real name, displaying a clear indifference as to which is used [ .... although I think that I probably prefer to have my real name used ... but it's not a big deal to me].

Private messages are, intuitively, a different matter, but would follow the same rule ... I've reply to PMs as they have been signed.

As an aside, I almost certainly will respond differently to those who use their (alleged) real name [ - can never tell on t'internet anyway!!]. I guess, rightly or wrongly, I have more trust in those who seemingly share their real name than those who don't.

I reserve this, as my right!!! So there!!! :na:

All food f'thought innit!!

!an

Trousers
26th-April-2006, 11:36 PM
I love your stereotype that women (especially schoolgirls) so much more protective of each other's feelings than boys or men.
Come and lie on the couch ESG and tell us how you got from the words I wrote to bring up Schoolgirls? I'm certain I never mentioned them. Is there something you'd like to share here?

under par
26th-April-2006, 11:53 PM
Come and lie on the couch ESG and tell us how you got from the words I wrote to bring up Schoolgirls? I'm certain I never mentioned them. Is there something you'd like to share here?

Have to agree with Trousers here ESG no mention of schoolgirls the way I read the post.........anything you want to talk about!!:whistle:

Raphael
27th-April-2006, 12:32 AM
I preffer to be called by my name, its who i am, but i respect peoples wishes to be called by which ever name they want, cannot always guarantee to get it right ( Old age setting in) :rofl: :rofl: so good on you MsFab, at least this pole will sort out what people like to be called and honesty is by far the best policy, so you continue to be true to yourself, and ask for what you want, i see no problem with that at all, wish more people were that honest it would be a better world:clap: :hug: :yeah: :flower: :respect:

Tazmanian Devil
27th-April-2006, 12:43 AM
I preffer to be called by my name, its who i am, but i respect peoples wishes to be called by which ever name they want, cannot always guarantee to get it right ( Old age setting in) :rofl: :rofl: so good on you MsFab, at least this pole will sort out what people like to be called and honesty is by far the best policy, so you continue to be true to yourself, and ask for what you want, i see no problem with that at all, wish more people were that honest it would be a better world:clap: :hug: :yeah: :flower: :respect:

Aw :hug: :hug: So nicely put hun :hug: :hug: and yet evry word so true (it must be the age wisdom thing) :rofl: :rofl: *ducks*

foxylady
27th-April-2006, 07:42 AM
..... and ask for what you want, i see no problem with that ......

[off topic post] I want you (Raphael) to come to Muswell Hill tonight [/off topic post]

I prefer my forum name, Foxy for short... SF get your own nickname and stop nicking mine !!

Cruella
27th-April-2006, 07:50 AM
SF get your own nickname
I believe his initials are now FF. :whistle:

SilverFox
27th-April-2006, 10:01 AM
I prefer my forum name, Foxy for short... SF get your own nickname and stop nicking mine !!Exsqueeze me! I have never used the name Foxy. That's down to the tone lowering double act.

So there.:na:

El Salsero Gringo
27th-April-2006, 10:06 AM
Come and lie on the couch ESG and tell us how you got from the words I wrote to bring up Schoolgirls? I'm certain I never mentioned them. Is there something you'd like to share here?Er, well it must have been when you said "Even at school the boys call each other by nicknames rather than use the real name. Women don't tend to do this...". Seems perfectly clear to me. (Women, when they're at school, and therefore at school age, being schoolgirls, you know?)

Tazmanian Devil
27th-April-2006, 10:26 AM
I believe his initials are now FF. :whistle:
Should that not be RR :confused:

SilverFox
The Rummaging Ramekin

Love the new name SF/RR/FF whatever your bluddy name is :D

jacksondonut
27th-April-2006, 12:42 PM
Just happy to be Jan :flower: :flower:

Is nice when people recognise me as 'jacksondonut', but I always say, ''just call me Jan''... (if you call me JANET, then I know you are cross with me...)!!

Do wish I had chosen a more interesting name, but at the end of the day, it matters not :yeah:

Is good to respect the wishes of the individual.. :worthy: :worthy:

Jan
xxx

Lee
27th-April-2006, 01:35 PM
Given that I sign everything "Christopher", I'm quite happy with that. Ghost is cool too.

I can tell what mood a certain Forumite is in depending on whether she calls me Ghost or Christopher in posts though :whistle:

As long as there aren't any photos of me on the Forum, I'm a happy bunny :clap:

Be Well,
Christopher

You're a ghost, there won't be any pictures of you. :rolleyes:

regards
Bob (shhh don't tell anyone my name is really Lee)

Ghost
27th-April-2006, 05:00 PM
You're a ghost, there won't be any pictures of you. :rolleyes:

regards
Bob (shhh don't tell anyone my name is really Lee)
Great minds think alike (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225673&postcount=263)....

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Christopher
(And if no-one else just posted, Calvin and Hobbes :cool: )

Trousers
28th-April-2006, 02:07 AM
Er, well it must have been when you said "Even at school the boys call each other by nicknames rather than use the real name. Women don't tend to do this...". Seems perfectly clear to me. (Women, when they're at school, and therefore at school age, being schoolgirls, you know?)

Deary deary me. . . .

When do you actually publish your first full length peice of fiction, it promises to be entertaining. :rolleyes:

Women, in school, when I was at school were teachers or dinner ladies (which I think technically removes womanhood replacing it with ogrehood).

But again there was no mention of school in relation to women? :eek:

Can you hear us down there in that hole you're digging. . . . ESG? ESG!

Oh,

oh my,

Well,

err,

Dear Ceroc Australia,

Please keep your eyes and ears open for a lost brit.
Last seen heading your direction at a fair lick.

Be nice to him!

Trousers

Wave Dancer
28th-April-2006, 12:40 PM
June huh -don't worry Marnie, I won't tell if you don't

As to me - forum name or real name, both ok

Martin

Cheeky! :really:

Freya
28th-April-2006, 02:05 PM
Can't really comment as i use My real name on here!!!! Although Freya is a Norse godess so...? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have been known to call people by their forum names in real life as don't know their real ones and when you get to know them on-line before actually meeting in person it can be a hard switch!!!!

robd
28th-April-2006, 04:44 PM
Just happy to be Jan :flower: :flower:

Is nice when people recognise me as 'jacksondonut', but I always say, ''just call me Jan''... (if you call me JANET, then I know you are cross with me...)!!

Do wish I had chosen a more interesting name, but at the end of the day, it matters not :yeah:

Is good to respect the wishes of the individual.. :worthy: :worthy:

Jan
xxx

Surely it's Janet - Miss Jackson if you're nasty.....

C U L8R

jacksondonut
28th-April-2006, 05:30 PM
Surely it's Janet - Miss Jackson if you're nasty.....

C U L8R

AAAAHHHHH........dont worry my dear, I am NEVER nasty (unless you call me JANET!)

THEN I GET REALLY ANGRY AND BUST OUT OF MY CLOTHES.........

Piglet
28th-April-2006, 06:05 PM
Women, in school, when I was at school were teachers or dinner ladies (which I think technically removes womanhood replacing it with ogrehood).
Oh Gosh! I've never felt more like neg repping someone on here than now!:eek: Luckily I'll assume you were being very tongue in cheek - either that or you are much older than me :rofl: and your teachers really were ogres (or ogresses?)

Frankie_4711
28th-April-2006, 08:22 PM
Happy to answer to anything so long as I know you're talking to me!! (and it's not too defamatory!):flower:

Trousers
30th-April-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh Gosh! I've never felt more like neg repping someone on here than now!:eek: Luckily I'll assume you were being very tongue in cheek - either that or you are much older than me :rofl: and your teachers really were ogres (or ogresses?)
assume away

but i bet i look younger :grin:

Raphael
2nd-May-2006, 12:06 AM
[off topic post] I want you (Raphael) to come to Muswell Hill tonight [/off topic post]

[off topic post]
Sorry darling cannot be there but i will be there soon [/off topic post]:flower: