PDA

View Full Version : Is youth the key?

Gus
24th-April-2006, 08:25 AM
Noticed a posting by ElaineB singing the praises of some 16 year lad who's come onto the block and making a very good impression ... "future championship material" etc. Got me thinking about my recent experiences.

I've been whinging for a while about the lack of new dance talent in the North, then realised I've been looking in the wrong places. While up at The Ritz (Ceroc Yorks) I had the pleasure of watching a new crop of talent ... and it all appears to be under 20 years old. Holly and Karl (Style Jive) look superb. Though pretty new, there dancing shows maturity well in advance of their years.

There also Chris (Baker?) ... Ceroc teacher from that neck of the woods who is only a post-embryo as well (and personaly trained by the legendary Sue Freeman :respect:) . Looking round the floor there were a few other youngsters who's dancing was either really good already or showed great promise. Nearer to home there a few young lasses at Bowden/Chester (including Jive-Me) who really have potential and are keen to develop thier dancing.

So .. I have to ask ... is the future of MJ with the yongsters? Are these the sub-group that are going to really make things happen ... or are they just more noticable beacuse of their age?

Chicklet
24th-April-2006, 09:36 AM
? Are these the sub-group that are going to really make things happen ... ?
make what kind of thing "happen"??
MJ in the Olympics?
Free MJ on NHS?

Seriously...what ya gettin at bud??

Gus
24th-April-2006, 10:19 AM
make what kind of thing "happen"??Forgive my inane ramblings (pre-caffine).

Think I was just musing that as the 'old-guard' continue (e.g. Phil & Yuko, Will & Kate) ... I was wondering who the new stars would be. I had sort of expected them to crop up from experienced dancers from another style (e.g. Salsa, Line dancing, WCS). The fact that I've seen a fair few really young dancers come through and look REALLY good, makes me think that we may be in for a minor revolution in the demographics of MJ.

Aleks
24th-April-2006, 10:51 AM
is the future of MJ with the yongsters? Are these the sub-group that are going to really make things happen ... or are they just more noticable beacuse of their age?

This may be true...and it may be due to these people having:

1. More physical energy and greater stamina
2. Agile brains that retain new stuff easily
3. Few other demands on their time
4. Financial encouragement from various sources (family/sponsors)

and tons of other things that my ageing brain can't think of....

Gus
24th-April-2006, 10:57 AM
This may be true...and it may be due to these people having:

Those two in particular sound very good reasons. The other thing that may be a factor is that they seem to be less afraid to try things ... their styles tend to be more marked ... trying new things that don't always work, but it doesnt stop them trying. Ahhh ... the blissfull ingnorance of youth when everything seems so simple and obvious ... where do those days go? :(

jive_me
24th-April-2006, 11:22 AM

I won't argue with energy/stamine or agile brains (can brains be agile...*mental images* :D ) but 3 and 4 can be slightly inaccurate for some youngsters (me included)...Sixth form took up loads of my time and up until a few weeks ago Uni was doing the same thing. And I got no financial encouragement from anyone (*tear* :sad: hehehe). Perhaps it's because the atmosphere at most venues is incredibly friendly and welcoming, thereby encouraging them/us to come back and keep on learning?

Nearer to home there a few young lasses at Bowden/Chester (including Jive-Me) who really have potential and are keen to develop thier dancing.

Thank you for the inclusion :blush:

xXx

Aleks
24th-April-2006, 11:27 AM
I got no financial encouragement from anyone (*tear* :sad: hehehe).

I must very lucky....my dance shoes are still funded by my mum :clap::clap:!

Donna
24th-April-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Aleks]This may be true...and it may be due to these people having:

I agree with point 1 2 and 3... not sure about 4 though. Dancing is an expensive hobbie and I can't imagine many youngsters having much success in scrounging for such amounts. (It certainly wouldn't work for me anyway!!!! :rofl: ) I must spend in total nearly £300 a month on dancing. This includes entrance fees, drinks and ballroom lessons. I haven't even included things like new dance shoes and costumes and paying to enter competitions! It all mounts up.:rolleyes: (Which gives me an idea ....)

Aleks
24th-April-2006, 11:48 AM
not sure about 4 though.

There was a couple at the Scottish Champs last year who had sponsorship. They're the only couple dancing MJ that I know of who have his.

Donna
24th-April-2006, 11:54 AM
There was a couple at the Scottish Champs last year who had sponsorship. They're the only couple dancing MJ that I know of who have his.

I've never heard of anybody in MJ who has sponsorship. That's the first. :confused:

Gus
24th-April-2006, 12:04 PM
There was a couple at the Scottish Champs last year who had sponsorship. They're the only couple dancing MJ that I know of who have his.Sponsored by whom? Nice idea. There doesn't appear to have been much sponsorship at all yet. How long before someone like Bloch gets involved? The only sponsorship deal I seem to remeber was Fyffes Bannanas for the Ceroc Champs one year.

Aleks
24th-April-2006, 12:11 PM
Sponsored by whom?

No idea, though it was written on their jackets. The female in the couple is the blonde in the photo on azande's profile, if anyone knows her. Apologies that I don't remember her name.

IIRC they do a lot of line dancing and did DT with Bex.

ElaineB
24th-April-2006, 12:25 PM

That was Matt and Beckie from Bristol. Sheriff of LeRoc 2000 sponsors them and in return, they used to help out at his venue. Matt and Beckie come from a line dance background and matt's Mother and Father are Line Dance teachers.

In the West Country, we are also lucky to also have Tom Baker from Gloucester, who has competed with Vicki and won the Intermediates at Blackpool. He wasn't allowed to enter the Ce Roc comp in London last year, as he was under 18. Tom's father, John Baker, runs Ce Roc in gloucester.

I don't know if Daniel had any other dance background, but he is certainly very talented. Then there is Nick from Cornwall, another up and coming chap!

As for age, I would agree that stamina is of a higher level, but I think that traning and experience still count for an awful lot! I am lucky enough to be able to grab Phil (of Phil and Yuko) for the odd :D dance when they come to Bristol and consider him to be one of the best. Also the lovely Mark Wilson from Cardiff who hears the music quite unlike anyone else I have danced with.

And then, what about David Barker and Nigel????

I am not name dropping here, but surely, any of the Ladies who have danced with these '30plus somethings' will agree that they are top drawer?

So, I suppose for me, age is not important, it is how the person plays with the music that counts. :clap:

Elaine

ElaineB
24th-April-2006, 12:28 PM
The only sponsorship deal I seem to remeber was Fyffes Bannanas for the Ceroc Champs one year.

:rofl: No! :eek: What was the catergory - the best shape? Or who can hide the most bannanas without being caught? We tried that one last year! :D :whistle:

Elaine

Donna
24th-April-2006, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineB]That was Matt and Beckie from Bristol. Sheriff of LeRoc 2000 sponsors them and in return, they used to help out at his venue. Matt and Beckie come from a line dance background and matt's Mother and Father are Line Dance teachers.

I find that youngsters who get involved in MJ and have a dancing background (especially solo dancing as if you're capable of dancing on your own, you can do extremely well in partner dancing) are more successful. Wait until they hit 30 + I'm sure they'll be the best in the MJ world.

Matt and Becky are fab dancers and they have come a long way. Hadn't they have done linedancing before, it could have been different.. who knows? I've done line dancing for ten years and used to teach it. I find it's really helped me in Jive and I believe that if it wasn't for this, I would have found MJ very difficult to start off with so would therefore be behind and most probably wouldn't be competing now.

There is one lad up here that is only 17 years old, and he has been dancing for 6 months... and is seriously hot! He is more like higher intermediate level but is amazing to watch! I had to ask him if he had done any other styles before to which his reply was NO! :eek: Unbelieveable and very rare you would find someone who can pick something up so quickly having not danced before, and look amazing in such a short space of time! I thought he had been dancing for about a couple of years. Just you wait... maybe in the next few months he will be one of the best dancers in the UK! :clap:

And then, what about David Barker and Nigel????

Both brilliant to dance with! :worthy:

Ickle Chick'n
24th-April-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't know if Daniel had any other dance background, but he is certainly very talented. Then there is Nick from Cornwall, another up and coming chap!

So, I suppose for me, age is not important, it is how the person plays with the music that counts. :clap:

Daniel had no previous experience, his dad is Nelson's right hand man so Daniel came along and picked it up quickly! He observbes people and mimicks well, and has recently started added his own character and styling. Nick is lovely too, another who watches, experiments and isn't afraid to get out and about and ask people if he sees something he likes, I first danced with him when he'd not been dancing long and was amazed. There are a number of youngsters down Cornwall way too who might pose some competition before long!:eek: (And there is a lot of encouragement from the teachers there who see the potential in the youngsters and love to see them improving).

Personally I remeber when I started about 4 years ago I was one of, if not the, youngest person at Jive. I used to dance Plymouth and Newquay. The problem at first was that even if youngsters came along, because there were no others they felt out of place and didn't return. Programmes such as Strictly Come Dancing and Dance Fever etc seem to have boosted the reputation of various dance forms and I think that has helped.

Younger brains do seem to pick up and hold moves/style/tips etc much quicker and then remeber and use these things and I think there is a certain amount of competitiveness within younger groups of people which spurs them on and makes them bounce things of one another...

As for competing, we shall see if there's a generation shift or if these youngsters will move into the older category before they get as well known as the likes of Phil, David B, Nigel and Nina etc etc...interesting to see what happens.:rolleyes:

Rhythm King
24th-April-2006, 04:32 PM
I thought those names sounded familiar, then I remembered - didn't they have their names on their costumes in lights at last year's champs? Very eyecatching and I'm not surprised they have managed to gain sponsorship either. How long before some of the shoe, or costume makers, start looking in our direction, of course then we'll end up in the realms of professional and amateur status at comps :eek: Will it still be strictly jive????

Donna
24th-April-2006, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Rhythm King]I thought those names sounded familiar, then I remembered - didn't they have their names on their costumes in lights at last year's champs?

Yep that's Matt and Becky! :worthy:

How long before some of the shoe, or costume makers, start looking in our direction, of course then we'll end up in the realms of professional and amateur status at comps :eek: Will it still be strictly jive?????

:clap: :clap: That would be great!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
24th-April-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, I don't know if I can reply to this thread because i'm not a fantastic dancer ect. and don't know if 18 classed as young?

I WISH! I've never had anyone give me money to go to Ceroc, guess i'm lucky I had a job when I first started, about a year ago.

As for making improvement, I think I would make more improvement if I could get to Ceroc more regularly (finding that difficult at the moment). Right now I feel like my dancing is going through a phase where I am not making any improvement, like it's going in a straight line if you know what I mean. Quite frankly that sucks :sad:

Ste
24th-April-2006, 10:38 PM
If Karl and Holly are the young couple I have seen in the North West and got to the intermeidate final at Blackpool, then I think they are one of the hottest talents I have seen for years. The lad is mesmerising to watch.

Yeah, Donna and I saw a 16 year old who was really really good. Could probably get into an intermeidate final. I had to tell him that he was really really good.

I think youth counts for a lot in terms of ability and learning.

I didn't realise that my body would slow down so much but it has and i have to work really hard to have any kind of fitness. After your thirties you lose a lot of suppleness. When I was 19 I used to copy stuff off kung fu films like triple jumping kicks (my party trick) and did these easily but try as I might I can't seem to recover the fluidity. I used to get loads of compliments at discos because I used to be a really good disco style dancer but those days are gone.

But will the young uns carry on?Sometimes they lose interest and go on to other things.

If I had my youth again I am not sure if I would do modern jive. I would be more into hip hop classes and University Ballroom. Something more technically challenging. I am not sure that MJ captures the imagination of young people on a large scale although I think that it should. If you think of the way it is taught during the week it is more social as opposed to technical. Youngsters want things that are very fast and flashy and quickly.

As a point about getting older, I realised how far behind I was from a normal dancer when Donna and i went to Strictly Dance Fever last year. These youngsters were just so hot in terms of energy and ability to pick up. WHilst I am thinking about my back they are just going for it. It was embarrassing.

When I was young I had karate heroes like Masters Enoeda and Nakayama. I heard that even at the age of 47 Enoeda could still trash a black belt in Ellesmere Port in his twenties.

But these guys trained really really hard and I did not do that. Also I picked up a lot of injuries probably through a combination of over exertion and not warming up that I did not fully heal up. I really recommend lots of stretching!

Youth is one of the most precious things in life that I hope that you all make the most of whatever stage you are in life. It is short!

foxylady
25th-April-2006, 12:01 AM
Youth is one of the most precious things in life that I hope that you all make the most of whatever stage you are in life. It is short!

Isn't it a bummer when we only wise up to this when it's nearly over :whistle:

Donna
25th-April-2006, 12:26 PM
If Karl and Holly are the young couple I have seen in the North West and got to the intermeidate final at Blackpool, then I think they are one of the hottest talents I have seen for years. The lad is mesmerising to watch.

Ah ha! Now you've mentioned it, I know who they are now! :worthy:

Yeah, Donna and I saw a 16 year old who was really really good. Could probably get into an intermeidate final. I had to tell him that he was really really good.

I must have sat there with my jaw to the floor nearly all night. He is amazing to watch. Again.. :worthy:

I think youth counts for a lot in terms of ability and learning.

:grin: :yeah:

After your thirties you lose a lot of suppleness.

Everybody is different. The majority of people I know in their 30's are still FIT!!! There was a programme on BBC 1 which proves that age is just a number and that physically and even mentally, you can be a lot younger than you really are. Depends on your lifestyle too. Those who are happy in life look and feel younger.

When I was 19 I used to copy stuff off kung fu films like triple jumping kicks (my party trick) and did these easily but try as I might I can't seem to recover the fluidity.

Glad you can't do them now.. especially after a row! :D

But will the young uns carry on?Sometimes they lose interest and go on to other things.

I'll carry on I think. It's much more laid back and fun than ballroom/latin. Even though I love ballroom and latin, MJ is not as disciplined. Think this is what most youngsters are looking for.

I am not sure that MJ captures the imagination of young people on a large scale although I think that it should.

More youngsters are getting involved in MJ now though and they will continue to do so. When they walk into a venue where there are people there age, it will encourage others to start as well. If looking for something different apart from hip hop etc, then MJ is the best form of partner dancing they can try to start off with.

Chef
25th-April-2006, 01:21 PM
More youngsters are getting involved in MJ now though and they will continue to do so. When they walk into a venue where there are people there age, it will encourage others to start as well. If looking for something different apart from hip hop etc, then MJ is the best form of partner dancing they can try to start off with.

I managed to get a number of the new graduate employees at work to try a night out at Ceroc and they really enjoyed it (why is it that young people never believe someone older when they tell them something is great fun). But one of their great complaints is that there are few people of their own age at the venues.

They told me that they had gone to another local club, looked around the venue and seen no people of their own age and decided not to go in. I said that was just great - now when next week comes along and other young people do the same thing they would not see them in the venue either and probably go away as well.

It is nice to hear that Karl and Holly are progressing well. Karls Mother Lisa set up Style Jive in Huddersfield when she moved back up north and wanted a dance venue that had an enphasis on style and musicality rather than just moves, moves, moves. All the time that Lisa lived in Maidstone we had tried to talk Karl into starting dancing (it would have made child care much easier for mum if Karl would just come along as well). It wasn't until Lisa got married and we had another go at talking him into dancing (the reception was an MJ event) that he promised to start when he returned from some travels in India. When he did come back he started assisting Lisa at Style Jive.

I think the young have a great edge because they are less conservative and more willing to push the boundries. So often I am confronted by people of my own age that tell me they can't do something and I ask them "can't or won't?"

The post has reminded me that I must have a chat with Lisa soon. It has been too long already.

karlhudds
10th-May-2006, 07:12 PM
nice post there chef but one mistake lol i never went to india it was

(south africa)

Chef
11th-May-2006, 11:25 AM
nice post there chef but one mistake lol i never went to india it was

(south africa)

You see, as you get old you also get more and more confused about things.

Now, who was it that I know that went to India? Where are my glasses - oh! they are on the top of my head.

Donna
11th-May-2006, 01:44 PM
Ah ha... chef I didn't realise which Karl you were talking about until now. He's a fab dancer and great lead! :worthy: Keep it up Karl! Will grab you for a dance next time I see you at Stockport.

karlhudds
11th-May-2006, 07:29 PM
Ah ha... chef I didn't realise which Karl you were talking about until now. He's a fab dancer and great lead! :worthy: Keep it up Karl! Will grab you for a dance next time I see you at Stockport.

ill take you on that

you going to southport *thinks i duno when it is , only that im going* the nearest one

Donna
12th-May-2006, 11:49 AM
ill take you on that

you going to southport *thinks i duno when it is , only that im going* the nearest one

Hopefully going. Dates 3rd&4th June.