PDA

View Full Version : Dance Injuries - Q & A's....

marty_baby
18th-April-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi All,

I have had a real miserable Easter. (Feel free to read the Full listing at the end of this post... :tears: )

To get to the point tho - The problem:
I've strained my abdominal muscles and lower back :sick:
I'm up and about now - but real tentitive on doing any dancing - let alone anything like 1st move STARS etc for the next week.

Advice requested by this post:
A. What do I best do now - Short Term? (The run up to Hammersmith Competition)

B. What do I best do now - Long Term? (Ie after Hammersmith, and when I have had time to fully recover etc.)

My reasonings so far:

Practice:
Do practice - but:
Warm up!
Back the hell off - any Lunges or 1st move stars etc.
Do the moves - but I'm to take it easy

Competition Day:
Warm up!
Warm up!
Warm up!
Minimalise - any Lunges or 1st move stars etc.
Anything else?

B. What do I best do now - Long Term? (Ie after Hammersmith, and when have time to fully recover etc.)
Doctor (And ElaineB) suggested Sports Physio - for advise on preventative, strengthening, and warm up excercises.

Others have suggested Osteopaths

Questions here though:
Is there a branch of "sports Physios", or specific individuals, who looks after dancers? I'm hoping there is someone out there, where - when I walk into their examination room - they know straight off - what I'm going through - and what other kinda stuff I may/will hit in the future as well.

But if a Std Sports Physio does the trick - thats fine. However what should I be looking for/doing - to get the best out of the examination?? I've never been to a Sports Physio or osteopath before!

I'm guessing in terms of:

Finding a good Sports Physio:
1. Look at the Sports Physio's bio - the types of people they have looked after, how long they have been at it, avail for post examination queries etc...

Getting the most out of the examination:
1. Get well - then book up physio appt.
2. Warm up - before appt.
3. Go in to see Physio - and demostrate the Moves/lines I want to do
4. THEN - he will give me advise on what specific excercises/ warms up to - for best prep

Hope you can help
Forgive me for the long post.... got that off my chect now - phew! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Martin :o

MY MISERABLE EASTER:
Friday:
after dinner, something went twang.... In bed all night.... Called up nhs help line after 3 hours of lousy abdominal pain... take paracetamols

Sat:
all day in bed.... eventually went to hospital 7pm
After a bit of heartless poking from doctor - apparently - I've strained abdominal muscles and back (Too many low lunges and "1st move Stars" etc with Sharon probably.)
- take Ibroprofen, and paracetamols - and take easy for few days. Come back mid week if still bad...

Sunday
Oh, I'm up and kinda about now.
I've had to give Jango workshop a miss today - really gutted (Spoke to Amir - nice chap, he said we can do the next workshop in May instead. Impressed with this altruistic approach rather than "no refunds for last minute Cancellation" corporate approaches etc.)

What a crap Easter holiday!

When I up and about again - I reckon I have to be alot more careful with dancing the way I do. Probably save all of that for competitions only (Shame) - with loads of stretches before hand, or forgo the Lunges and "Stars" etc altogether :tears:

Northants Girly
19th-April-2006, 12:29 AM
Sorry to hear all that Marty :(

In the short term, to be absolutely honest I'd purely rest, rest and more rest. Then maybe in the few days before the Champs do some gentle practice. :flower:

As for the long term. I don't think people realize how important abdominal muscles are. They really do help to support your whole back. Once you are fit and well I would spend some time doing exercises that will strengthen these important muscles.

Good luck in the comp btw :grin:

Yliander
19th-April-2006, 01:27 AM
sounds like your pre-comp plan is sensible - I have always been told (osteopaths, phsyio and Occupationa Therapist) that some activity is better than none - as when you don't do anything at all - the muscles just all freeze up and fluids don't move around - all of which is not good for the healing process

finding a good practitioner is a always a bit hit and miss - one way to find a practitioner who is experienced with dancers is to call a local dance studio - ballroom or contemporary and ask them who they use/could recommend - this is what my OT recommended for me when I was visiting interstate last year.

the other way is to ask around - personal recommendations usually the best way - that is how I have found my last 3 practitioners - and one for my mum in the UK

good luck hope you feel better soon

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 09:38 AM
Cheers for the advice ladies :hug:

........some activity is better than none - as when you don't do anything at all - the muscles just all freeze up and fluids don't move around - all of which is not good for the healing process.......

Thats what I'm thinking as well!

Probably no dancing this week though.... thinking about it - If we practice - i don't think I can just go through the motions - I'd get into the music and go for it etc...

So gentle stretches with week, and gentle practice next week. Aww thats really Sucks!

I'll do the serious sports physio etc after hammersmith

Cheers
Martin :sick:

Baruch
19th-April-2006, 09:45 AM
Good luck for the comp, Martin. Here's hoping you're OK on the day.

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 10:31 AM
Good luck for the comp, Martin. Here's hoping you're OK on the day.

Cheers Mate :na:
Oh we'll be there... even if I have to walk around like john wayne! :rofl:

I feel like I'm currently running through the checklist of "top 10 Rookie dance competitior mistakes" though! :o

David Franklin
19th-April-2006, 10:58 AM
I feel like I'm currently running through the checklist of "top 10 Rookie dance competitior mistakes" though! :oHow about a chest wax without general anesthesia?

Sorry - that would be top 10 Wookie dance competitor mistakes...

Seriously, there's not a lot of point looking for serious medical advice over the internet. See a professional, explain exactly what your goals are (short term for the competition, long term for health, etc) and see what they say. In particular, give them a good idea of what you really do in your dancing. I showed my osteopath a video of one of our practices, and he said he'd really underestimated just how much was involved. I always had a bit of a perception that anyone in healthcare would be very "play it safe" and just tell me not to do things, but on the contrary, they have usually been very keen to encourage as much activity as possible. People at the sports end of the spectrum also tend to be aware of the realities of life: "you should rest this, but I know you're not going to, so here's what you should do after each dance practice...".

Best of luck!

Almost an Angel
19th-April-2006, 11:15 AM
I always had a bit of a perception that anyone in healthcare would be very "play it safe" and just tell me not to do things, but on the contrary, they have usually been very keen to encourage as much activity as possible. People at the sports end of the spectrum also tend to be aware of the realities of life: "you should rest this, but I know you're not going to, so here's what you should do after each dance practice...".

:yeah: :yeah:
I was lucky enough to find an Osteopath like this last year who really helped when I damaged my neck. I did stay off the dancing until he was happy with me attempting it, but as he knew I'd push it anyway he did give me a load of stuff to do after dancing.

Marty if you can find a professional it's well worth it - I had a recomendation from several dancers for this guy and found him excellent it really helped.

Apart from that to echo Yliander your plan looks sensible, take it from one who knows, it's better to take things easier and heal quicker than push things and risk further injury. If you think you won't just stick to gentle practice don't tempt it but do keep yourself moving. Failing that make a pact with your partner that she will stop you as soon as you go above 'gentle practice' and stick to it!!!!

Hope you're OK for the Comp - Good Luck

Angel xxx

Donna
19th-April-2006, 11:36 AM
I have had a real miserable Easter. (Feel free to read the Full listing at the end of this post... :tears: )

Awww I'm sorry to hear about that! I was going to ask you how your first practice went as well!!! Not so good...

I've also strained some muscles. The right side of my waist and hip is hurting and I've been doing the splits a lot (but naughty me didn't warm up properly) and might have over stretched the tendon slightly behind my right knee! :tears: Of course, with me being a bit of a tough cookie, it's not gonna stop me from giving it my best in Hammersmith of course! i mean, it's only one day isn't it? At least then you have between then and leroc 2000 to rest it. It doesn't help the fact I think I'm coming down with something and aching even more from head to toe and feeling a little chesty. :( There's a lot of bugs going around at the moment and it's just my luck to catch one at a bad time.

I say, you two are good dancers anyway, and are going to do well so taking about 5 days off from practice certainly want do you two any harm. That little bit of rest might make all the difference, but more importantly you do need to keep moving otherwise you'll seize up! That's the problem when you have slightly injured yourself and not keeping everything loosened up. Gentle exercises everyday or even swimming (go for this one!) is brilliant for keeping you toned and supple. Try sitting in a jacuzzi for a while also and get a massage!

B. What do I best do now - Long Term? (Ie after Hammersmith, and when I have had time to fully recover etc.)

Give it some wellie in Hammersmith and then rest some more. Also seek further medical advice to make sure it heals up properly and to prevent any further or even permanent damage. Mind you, you're only young so don't think you have that much to worry about. You should recover fairly quickly.

Most of all, it's very important to make sure you warm up properly before hitting the dance floor. Some think they have warmed up but they don't know how to do it properly. I have a list of some good warm ups off a dance vid. Can pm you with those if you want.

Finding a good Sports Physio:
1. Look at the Sports Physio's bio - the types of people they have looked after, how long they have been at it, avail for post examination queries etc...

I'd follow Ylianders advice on this one.

Yliander - call a local dance studio - ballroom or contemporary and ask them who they use/could recommend -

Hope you get better soon anyway! :hug: :hug:

spindr
19th-April-2006, 12:42 PM
Rest.
Warm up.
Cool down.
Practice in a warm studio.
Walk through any "improvisational bits".
Are you really going to get appreciably better if you practice over the next week or so -- will you get appreciably worse if you aggravate the injury.
Agree a get out mechanism for the performance -- e.g. "my back's knackered don't do any drops".

Oh and avoid comedy clubs, funny films, etc. seemed to be a particular problem laughing when I strained my intercostal muscles a while back.

Maybe wander up to http://www.dance-london.co.uk and see if there are any exhibitors that could help?

Cheers,
SpinDr

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 12:51 PM
Hiya Donna,

awww baby! You are smacked up as well? Bummer!... Hope you heal up quickly and well :hug: To be honest with you though, I get the impression that all dance competitiors carry injuries and knocks at some time - its just how the individual deal with it.

Bit of a cough coming on as well??? Vit "C" and Lemsips with Ginger I reckon!

......... you do need to keep moving otherwise you'll seize up! That's the problem when you have slightly injured yourself and not keeping everything loosened up. Gentle exercises everyday or even swimming (go for this one!) is brilliant for keeping you toned and supple. Try sitting in a jacuzzi for a while also and get a massage!

.........I have a list of some good warm ups off a dance vid. Can pm you with those if you want.

Those Warm ups would be good - PM them over to me pls :hug: I have my own routines - but that was mainly for running, swimming and Gym - dunno how it would differ from dancing

A "gentle" swim?? Not sure if I can! I normally knock out 50 lengths as fast as I can when I do go - force of habit :rolleyes:

Martin :nice:

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 01:01 PM
Seriously, there's not a lot of point looking for serious medical advice over the internet. See a professional, explain exactly what your goals are (short term for the competition, long term for health, etc) and see what they say.

In particular, give them a good idea of what you really do in your dancing. I showed my osteopath a video of one of our practices, and he said he'd really underestimated just how much was involved. I always had a bit of a perception that anyone in healthcare would be very "play it safe" and just tell me not to do things, but on the contrary, they have usually been very keen to encourage as much activity as possible. People at the sports end of the spectrum also tend to be aware of the realities of life: "you should rest this, but I know you're not going to, so here's what you should do after each dance practice...".

Best of luck!

Hiya David,

Thanks for the info!

Oh, I'm not looking for "serious medical advice over the internet."

I'm just asking for feedback on where to start looking - for profess. advice - from people who are going through the same things as myself. THe short term stuff - well - informed view from my competing peers is worth its weight in gold.

These Forums are fantastic for this kinda info - long may the "free membership" Forum community continue!

Cheers
Martin

PS:
"....showed my osteopath a video of one of our practices...."
Thats my kinda view as well.... to go see someone - and show then what you are doing and ask for advice accordingly. This compared to going to see someone - to just patch you up, and just send you out there to do the same injurys again in the future.

Daisy Fox
19th-April-2006, 01:19 PM
So sorry to hear that you hurt yourself Martin. It must be this champs thing. My partner and I are entering for the first time. So on Good Friday, whilst putting chairs in the attic, I dropped one on my hand. My thumb and hand was swollen to twice the size and I felt sure I had broken it.
Luckily after a visit to hospital I was sent home with a badly bruised and very blue hand.
Have been practising gently and most things are ok. Other turns and drops hurt like hell - so I just have to grit my teeth and bare it.
I hope you sort it out and get the advice that works for you.
Rest as much as you can.

Natalie

Donna
19th-April-2006, 01:22 PM
awww baby! You are smacked up as well? Bummer!... Hope you heal up quickly and well :hug: To be honest with you though, I get the impression that all dance competitiors carry injuries and knocks at some time - its just how the individual deal with it.

I was going to say earlier that as a competitive dancer you're bound to get these sort of injuries. So long as it's not broken bones it's ok! I've strained, pulled muscles and have bruises. It happens, and is something you have to put with if taking dancing seriously. My ballroom teacher has been through it all and so has all the other competitors he knows. Even if you do warm up properly, it can still happen, ,but warming up reduces the risk of getting an injury. Look at SDF. They're all whinging about aching muscles and sore feet. That really winds my teacher up.. to the extent where he starts going off on a swearing tantrum!!! And there's me, standing there, trying to hold the giggles in... but I can't resist smirking!! :rofl: It's sooo funny! He couldn't get away with that on TV!! :rofl: he was on TV last year and this year... wonder how many times they had to cut it! :rofl:

Bit of a cough coming on as well??? Vit "C" and Lemsips with Ginger I reckon!

I think it's going to turn into a nasty cough. I'm just drinking plenty of water at the moment (and keep running to the damn loo all the while,.....I'm sure you really wanted to know that!:grin: )

Those Warm ups would be good - PM them over to me pls :hug:

On it's way to ya!

A "gentle" swim?? Not sure if I can! I normally knock out 50 lengths as fast as I can when I do go - force of habit :rolleyes:

Burrrlimmey! What we gonna do with you huh? :rofl:

Donna. :)

Baruch
19th-April-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a list of some good warm ups off a dance vid. Can pm you with those if you want.Any chance you could post them on here? I'm sure quite a few of us could benefit from that sort of thing.

Cheers.

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 03:17 PM
Any chance you could post them on here? I'm sure quite a few of us could benefit from that sort of thing.

Cheers.

...I think we may have to wait for Donna to get some lycra on and the video camera out! :rofl:

Or is that steve thats gonig to be demontrating? :D

Seriously though.... Good point Baruch, Donna - are the routine listing etc appropriate to shove onto the main forum?

Baruch
19th-April-2006, 03:20 PM
...I think we may have to wait for Donna to get some lycra on and the video camera out! :rofl:
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Donna
19th-April-2006, 03:31 PM

Or is that steve thats gonig to be demontrating? :D

Seriously though.... Good point Baruch, Donna - are the routine listing etc appropriate to shove onto the main forum?

:rofl: :rofl: Cheeky! :blush: Hey I can make my own "warm up video for dancers" once I've received my very revealing new black lycra costume from Bangkok!!!! :rofl:

Ok here they are... simple but works! :D

NECK

Tilt forward and back 10 times
Side to Side 10 xs
clockwise and anti clockwise - 10xs

SHOULDERS

Roll forwards and backwards 10 xs
Also rotate arms (butterfly action) 10 xs each way.

ARMS

Take right arm across chest and stretch across pushing it against chest with your left hand. Do same with left.

Lift right arm up and slide right over right shoulder and down back. Reach up over your head for your left elbow and pull it slightly across to left. Repeat with right.

WAIST
Stand with feet should width apart, knees slightly bent. Take the left arm up to left side and bend sideways to your right taking the arm up over your head. (Arm should be dead straight) Tilt slightly forward and diagonally to your right. You should be looking in that direction but feet and knees facing straight ahead. Stretch 10 xs. Repeat on opposite side. do this twice in fact.

HIPS - my favourite bit.

Again stand with feet should width apart knees slightly flexed. Place hands on hips. Roll hips around in both directions 10 xs. Also bump hips slowly to the right and back to centre 10xs and same to left.

Forwards and backwards also 10 xs.

Twist around facing back.. both ways again 10 xs each side.

SPINE

Don't think this will be easy to do in the venue in front of everybody, but who cares? I'd rather people watch than get further injuries.

Anyway...

Lie flat on your back, knees up, feet flat on floor. Feet should be slightly apart. Make sure your back is flat. Breath in and out a few times feeling your back muscles into the floor. Then, lift up from the hips keeping feet flat on floor, and keep lifting up your spine bit by bit until you are balancing on your shoulders. Slowly roll back down. Repeat 10 xs. (important to keep breathing during this one. Like you're going to forget anyway unless you want to end up looking like a smurf! ;) :rofl: )

ABDOMINAL MUSCLES

200 odd tummy crunches! :wink: :rofl: Hey if I can do it so can you!! :rofl: (saying that, i ain't done any since Blackpool! I need a smack on bum! Any offers? :rofl: )

Lie flat on stomach. Legs together. Place hands flat on floor either side of your shoulders. Lift up and curl the spine back. Only go as far as you can. Hold for 5 secs - feel that stretch in the stomach muscles and come back down. Repeat 10 xs.

LEGS

Crouch down to floor stretching one leg out. Slightly rotate the hips out to stretch the inner thigh properly. Bounce on the spot a few times. Repeat on opposite side. Dead important to warm up feet and ankles too as I've strained them before and it's easily done. Especially for the ladies when wearing those damn 3 inch heels.:rolleyes:

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 03:59 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Cheeky! :blush: Hey I can make my own "warm up video for dancers" once I've received my very revealing new black lycra costume from Bangkok!!!! :rofl:

So that's what Steve will be wearing at Hammersmith huh? What will you be wearing? :rofl:

Seriously though - Thanks for the warm up listings. I already do alot of those kinda movements, when I have the time to warm up for gym/swimming etc. (don't really run anymore - it was killing the knees, on top of dancing.)

A Change in routine may be a good gee up tho.

Yliander
19th-April-2006, 03:59 PM
"you should rest this, but I know you're not going to, so here's what you should do after each dance practice...".:yeah: I got to go back to training less than week after surgery last year - 2 weeks after I was back at full training including aerials -

Donna
19th-April-2006, 04:08 PM
So that's what Steve will be wearing at Hammersmith huh? What will you be wearing? :rofl:

:rofl: certainly not the tracksuit! Ssssh, don't tell Fletch!:D

Seriously though - Thanks for the warm up listings.

You're welcome. :wink: :flower:

don't really run anymore - it was killing the knees, on top of dancing.

In that case I have some good knee exercises. (:rolleyes: yeah yeah here we go you say :rofl: )

My Mum was advised this by a footballer.

Sit with your back up against the wall, both legs together and straight out in front of you. Lift right leg up slightly and turn foot out. Locking the knee lift up and down gently about 5 xs then rest for 10. Repeat 20 xs. (yeah it hurts like hell till you get cramp in your thighs, but hey, you'll get used to it! :rofl: ) It really builds the thighs up though and the knee. You'll find it's less painful after approx 6 weeks. Do same with left also otherwise you'll end up with one leg bigger than the other! :rofl:

marty_baby
19th-April-2006, 04:18 PM
So sorry to hear that you hurt yourself Martin. It must be this champs thing. My partner and I are entering for the first time. So on Good Friday, whilst putting chairs in the attic, I dropped one on my hand. My thumb and hand was swollen to twice the size and I felt sure I had broken it.
Luckily after a visit to hospital I was sent home with a badly bruised and very blue hand.
Have been practising gently and most things are ok. Other turns and drops hurt like hell - so I just have to grit my teeth and bare it.
I hope you sort it out and get the advice that works for you.
Rest as much as you can.

Natalie

Hiya Natalie,

Ouch - just the luck eh? Is it your right hand as well? (Just to add insult to injury)

I admire your grit to still do the moves - even though your hand is screaming blue murder :worthy:

Hope you have a fab competition day - knock them dead! If you wave your hand around - so we pick you out - we'll yell our heads off for you guys! :wink:

Martin :hug:

Daisy Fox
19th-April-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you martin. Luckily it was my left hand so can work around it to a certain extent. Hope to see you all at Champs, bit nervous, first competition and all that. x

Donna
19th-April-2006, 05:19 PM
Hope you have a fab competition day - knock them dead! If you wave your hand around - so we pick you out - we'll yell our heads off for you guys! :wink:

Don't think you'll miss that if it's big and blue! :rofl: Just kiddin.

Nick M
19th-April-2006, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Northants Girly]I don't think people realize how important abdominal muscles are. They really do help to support your whole back. Once you are fit and well I would spend some time doing exercises that will strengthen these important muscles.QUOTE]

Try "the plank" - very good for core abdominal and spine musculature

Lie face down - lift yourself up onto your elbows and toes, keeping your back straight like a plank. Hold that position - eventually aim to hold it for 90 seconds

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

Donna
19th-April-2006, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Northants Girly]I don't think people realize how important abdominal muscles are. They really do help to support your whole back. Once you are fit and well I would spend some time doing exercises that will strengthen these important muscles.QUOTE]

Try "the plank" - very good for core abdominal and spine musculature

Lie face down - lift yourself up onto your elbows and toes, keeping your back straight like a plank. Hold that position - eventually aim to hold it for 90 seconds

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

Now, that sounds painful. On your elbows for 90 seconds? Ouch... :tears:

marty_baby
23rd-April-2006, 06:46 PM
Hiya all,

Finally went to see the Sports physio Yesterday.

From a muscle point of view - I've got the all clear to dance - just warm up before hand! But bl**dy forget the 1st move Stars for the time being etc. It kinda went.... prod prod.... sqeeze squeeze, nothing blocked.... do a sit up for me, thats far enough... Abs look ok.... push against me... does that hurt?... Right Electrolysis time.... etc etc

She found a repaired tear in the right side of the Abs - "here - prod - ouch!"

Drew a blank though, on why I've been getting abdominal "Tummy Aches" since Blackpool.... Been told I should go off to see the doctor about this in the next couple of weeks - and not take "nothing wrong" for an answer :sick:

Roll on Hammersmith! :D

Cheers
Martin

David Franklin
23rd-April-2006, 11:32 PM
From a muscle point of view - I've got the all clear to dance - just warm up before hand! But bl**dy forget the 1st move Stars for the time being etc.OK, I have to ask - what the heck is a 1st move star?

Best of luck for Hammersmith!

Donna
24th-April-2006, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=David Franklin]OK, I have to ask - what the heck is a 1st move star?

:yeah: I was meaning to ask.

marty_baby
24th-April-2006, 11:03 PM
OK, I have to ask - what the heck is a 1st move star?

Best of luck for Hammersmith!

Cheers Dave! :na:

1st move star:
...deep breath...
.... don't try this at home - its a ball breaker without coaching...

...mans legs apart
..holding onto ladies waist side on
...lady goes down and through man's legs

...lady forms shape of a star (I suppose), legs into a split, free arm at judges etc

Matt and Becky do them, and Elaine and Simon do advanced versions with 2 moves in one etc...

As I said, don't try without some coaching... or learn the hard way like from my painful experience! :what: :tears: ;)

Cheers
Martin

Donna
25th-April-2006, 01:54 PM
Cheers Dave! :na:

1st move star:
...deep breath...
.... don't try this at home - its a ball breaker without coaching...

...mans legs apart
..holding onto ladies waist side on
...lady goes down and through man's legs

...lady forms shape of a star (I suppose), legs into a split, free arm at judges etc

Matt and Becky do them, and Elaine and Simon do advanced versions with 2 moves in one etc...

As I said, don't try without some coaching... or learn the hard way like from my painful experience! :what: :tears: ;)

Cheers
Martin

Ah ha! I know what this one is. We call it a star jump. (yep this is the move where Steve gets to suffer! :rofl:)

I'm not sure that one will be exceptable in an Intermediate as the feet come off the floor. Check on this one.

David Franklin
25th-April-2006, 02:05 PM
Ah ha! I know what this one is. We call it a star jump. (yep this is the move where Steve gets to suffer! :rofl:) Are you sure? The lady isn't side on to the man in any version of a star jump that I'm familiar with.

I'm not sure that one will be exceptable in an Intermediate as the feet come off the floor. Check on this one.I didn't think they were describing an aerial. Although the description is quite close to the entry a lot of ice skaters use for a star lift (overhead lift). But that would be very much for aerials specialists only - in fact the only couple I've seen do it in MJ are David and Lily.

Donna
25th-April-2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE][QUOTE=David Franklin]Are you sure? The lady isn't side on to the man in any version of a star jump that I'm familiar with.[/QUOTE

The lady is side on. The jump starts from a first move... so lady facing out, as she is lead back in, she is side on and the mans arm tightly around waist. Lady jumps side ways through his legs, doing splits. She looks and points straight ahead. It's quite a simple one, but the feet do come off the floor a bit to jump inbetween the mans legs and think about it, when she is doing the splits, the balls of her feet are off the floor. The competition rules state that the balls of the ladys foot should remain on the floor.

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 02:10 PM
We were confused as to wether the first move star would be acceptable in the intermediates as you do a little jump through the mans legs - but we adapted it so I just slide through now, and don't take my feet off the floor. Hoping this will be ok.
Any ideas !!!!!!!!!

Donna
25th-April-2006, 02:25 PM
We were confused as to wether the first move star would be acceptable in the intermediates as you do a little jump through the mans legs - but we adapted it so I just slide through now, and don't take my feet off the floor. Hoping this will be ok.
Any ideas !!!!!!!!!

There are a couple of moves we have in our routine which involves me having to do the splits, but have cut it out just in case. It says on the rules sheet that the ball of one of the ladys feet should remain on the floor. When you do the splits, either the heel or the side of the foot are on the floor. I get really confused when it comes to something like this too.!:confused:

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 02:28 PM
There are a couple of moves we have in our routine which involves me having to do the splits, but have cut it out just in case. It says on the rules sheet that the ball of one of the ladys feet should remain on the floor. When you do the splits, either the heel or the side of the foot are on the floor. I get really confused when it comes to something like this too.!:confused:

I know, it shouldn't matter - but the last thing you want is to be disqualified on a technicality. As this is our first competition we are s****ing ourselves as it is.:)

Donna
25th-April-2006, 03:13 PM
I know, it shouldn't matter - but the last thing you want is to be disqualified on a technicality. As this is our first competition we are s****ing ourselves as it is.:)

I think if you're that concerned the best thing to do is phone HQ up and ask them. Or somebody here on the forum might be able to help - David B? This should be on another thread through.

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 03:28 PM
Thank you Donna. Will do. Good luck on Sunday.:)

Donna
25th-April-2006, 03:47 PM
Thank you Donna. Will do. Good luck on Sunday.:)

Yeah you too!! Careful not to get any dance injuries. (just trying to stick to subject there. :wink: so nobody can complain about another off thread)

donna.

LilyB
25th-April-2006, 05:46 PM

My advice is not to do this move. I believe that one of the couples who entered last year's Ceroc Scotland Competition was in fact disqualified because of this move. It is very likely the lady's feet came off the floor momentarily due to the couple's enthusiasm, but the judges/scrutineer considered that to have been a lift, albeit only a tiny one. Better to play safe.

Donna
25th-April-2006, 06:44 PM
My advice is not to do this move. I believe that one of the couples who entered last year's Ceroc Scotland Competition was in fact disqualified because of this move. It is very likely the lady's feet came off the floor momentarily due to the couple's enthusiasm, but the judges/scrutineer considered that to have been a lift, albeit only a tiny one. Better to play safe.

Aaaawwww.. that means no sausage rolls either? (I'm sure I'll get somebody asking what this is;) )

ElaineB
25th-April-2006, 08:43 PM

Yup! It was myself and Simon..........:tears: One inch can make all the difference! :whistle:

You are right Lily - enthusiasm got the better of us! :D

Elaine

Daisy Fox
26th-April-2006, 09:55 AM

Thank you Lily, best to play it safe. :nice:

marty_baby
26th-April-2006, 11:59 AM

Hiya Lily,

Thanks for that nuget!
I don't feel so bad about us missing that move out now :na:

Best wishes

PS:
Looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend! :clap:

Donna
26th-April-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't feel so bad about us missing that move out now :na:

I bet you don't!!

I'm a bit worried now as I kicked my bad toe (which was starting to heal up yesterday) up on the stairs last night and now it's totally swollen and blue!!!!! :tears: I can't walk on it at all today and it won't bend. Not sure about this weekend after all. :tears:

marty_baby
26th-April-2006, 02:43 PM
I bet you don't!!

I'm a bit worried now as I kicked my bad toe (which was starting to heal up yesterday) up on the stairs last night and now it's totally swollen and blue!!!!! :tears: I can't walk on it at all today and it won't bend. Not sure about this weekend after all. :tears:

Donna! :angry: :rofl:

...what I mean't to say was - my competing head says "boo hoo - that wow move is out of the window!

... my body is saying "phew!" however! :na:

Bad toe took a smack? sods law huh? if you are going to kick something... its always going to be with the bad toe!....

Hope the Toe swelling goes down quickly!

Donna
26th-April-2006, 03:02 PM
Bad toe took a smack? sods law huh? if you are going to kick something... its always going to be with the bad toe!....

Hope the Toe swelling goes down quickly!

Yeah it's been a bad week and something has definately got it in for me today!! :angry: Wasn't going to come into work but money you see.:grin: I've had to put flat shoes on today instead and have anti inflammatory cream for it.

And you're right, it would happen to be the bad one that I kick up rather than the other! It was only a tap as well! The pain was so bad I felt sick last sick. Hope it settles down by Sat as of course you do a lot of walking around in London - and with a heavy bag - hmmm not good.

Donna.
:hug:

Missy D
1st-September-2006, 08:43 AM
Help I am in absolute agony and have no idea what to do. Last night I went dancing and whilst in a drop a man piled into us. I heard a sickening crack but carried on despite the pain. I drove home feeling a little tender and all through the night the pain got worse and worse. I can not turn my head to one side or lift my arm up. The pain is going right up through my head and is making me feel sick. I can not even put my head on my chin and if I put my head back I have to pull it forward by my hair.

What have I done?

So the question is do I go to the hospital or a physio/massage person (I do know one that I have used before).

senorita
1st-September-2006, 08:53 AM
Help I am in absolute agony and have no idea what to do. Last night I went dancing and whilst in a drop a man piled into us. I heard a sickening crack but carried on despite the pain. I drove home feeling a little tender and all through the night the pain got worse and worse. I can not turn my head to one side or lift my arm up. The pain is going right up through my head and is making me feel sick. I can not even put my head on my chin and if I put my head back I have to pull it forward by my hair.

What have I done?

So the question is do I go to the hospital or a physio/massage person (I do know one that I have used before).

Thats the pain, intence sickness & lack of mobility I have had since last year now! And its NOT getting any better, hence me not dancing or anything..:sad: :tears:

Defo go and check it out either by your doctor or hospital! Sounds like you trapped a nerve and pulled a muscle...(muscle went into serious spasm)...I might be wrong so pls go and check the damange out ASAP.

Yliander
1st-September-2006, 09:22 AM

What have I done?

sounds like you have seriously strained something in your neck/shoulder - best course of action would be to see a medical practitioner or if you have a physio/osteo that you see regular maybe them

This is not the sort of thing that you want to just leave to it’s own devices

David Franklin
1st-September-2006, 10:34 AM
Help I am in absolute agony and have no idea what to do. Last night I went dancing and whilst in a drop a man piled into us. I heard a sickening crack but carried on despite the pain. I drove home feeling a little tender and all through the night the pain got worse and worse. I can not turn my head to one side or lift my arm up. The pain is going right up through my head and is making me feel sick. I can not even put my head on my chin and if I put my head back I have to pull it forward by my hair.Medical advice from forumites is always to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I can't see any reason not to use an ice pack (or bag(s) of frozen peas!) to try to relieve the immediate pain.

What have I done?I think it's fairly clear you've got muscles going into spasm, but I think you'd need to see a professional to find out exactly what the underlying damage is.

So the question is do I go to the hospital or a physio/massage person (I do know one that I have used before).After some experience going both private and through the NHS, my inclination is to recommend the NHS - call me cynical, but their interest is to get you "off the books" ASAP, while the private practioners seem quite happy if you need to keep seeing them for years. On t'other hand, you'll probably have to wait quite a while to be seen on the NHS...

marty_baby
1st-September-2006, 11:02 AM

What have I done?

That sounds really painful Ms D!

Ditto all the above.

Couple more things tho:
1. Do get it checked out ASAP - The longer you leave it, the harder to Doctors/Sports Physio's job to diagnose and sort out etc.

2. If driving to doctors is an issue - get a lift! but do seek proff help as soon as you can.

clevedonboy
1st-September-2006, 11:17 AM
Yep get to your GP asap.

My GP was very helpful when I had a knee problem - she was very keen to get me up and dancing again, she told me that it's part of the vogue for preventative medicine - happy people who exercise are less of a burden to the NHS

Missy D
1st-September-2006, 05:21 PM
I phoned my physio man but he was out the country along with many others that I called. My doctor was no help either. I finally found a sports injury typ of person and after gently examining me said he could treat me. So first he stood me up and was doing the T1, T2 stuff, getting me to lift my arms etc. He asked me to move my head up and down which I couldnt do (less pain would occur cutting off my arm). I could also, only slightly turn my head to one side. He laid me down on my back and was gently pulling my head extending my neck etc this was first relief I had from pain all day. I was almost dozing off. Then all of a sudden with a quick snapping action he cracked my neck.:eek: I screamed with pain and shouted "you have broken my neck". He just smiled and carried on saying he wouldnt do it again "today". Apparently, I have a 'facet' (not sure how its spelt) bone that had moved and now have a swelling around this area. I have lots more movement but still in great pain. I cannot dance for a couple of days which is a real bummer but I have to take his advice.

I am taking muscle relaxants regularly and thats all I can do until the swelling goes down.

Oh joy! a weekend of tv for me!:sad:

Missy D
2nd-September-2006, 05:02 PM
Here I am today in more pain than ever. Cant get through to NHS Direct or any of the local doctors. Still taking culprofen every 4 hours which just makes me sleep. Not sure whether I should be trying to move my neck or maybe I should be wearing one of those sexy collars. Anyone on the forum know anything about neck injuries or could give me some advise please:flower:

Missy D
4th-September-2006, 12:12 PM
A & E on saturday and luckily no broken bones. However, the swelling in my neck is still bad. Feel totally out of it most of the time on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol. Tried to wash my hair earlier but will have to wait til it rains as cannot put my head over the bath. Oh joy! Supposed to start Physio today but couldnt drive the car. Anyone know of any gently exercises to start doing to help this?:flower:

marty_baby
4th-September-2006, 01:35 PM
A & E on saturday ...........on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol......

..... Its sounds pretty bad there Missy!

....hope you get well soon! Call in favours and get a lift to the physio!

Martin
:hug:

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 02:04 PM
(less pain would occur cutting off my arm)

He cut off your arm :eek:!

I really hope you get better soon Missy D :flower: :flower:.

Almost an Angel
4th-September-2006, 05:42 PM
A & E on saturday and luckily no broken bones. However, the swelling in my neck is still bad. Feel totally out of it most of the time on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol. Tried to wash my hair earlier but will have to wait til it rains as cannot put my head over the bath. Oh joy! Supposed to start Physio today but couldnt drive the car. Anyone know of any gently exercises to start doing to help this?:flower:

Really Sorry to hear you hurt your neck.
Gentle :hug: :hug:
It's not fun at all as I know well from last year when I had whiplash - I was on very similar medication to you for about 2 months. I was recommended an Osteopath by other dance friends and his help was amazing not only did he give me exercises that helped strengthen my neck but he also got it moving again. It might be worth trying to find one. Mines local to me and too far away for you otherwise I'd recomend him.

As for exercises I won't try and describe them here but the best advice I was given by the Osteo was to keep my neck moving - I know it hurts etc and it feels bad but you really really need to - even if it's just little tiny natural movements such as nodding or shaking it will be much better than trying to hold yourself stiff. Even if it feels really un-natural to you - but just make sure you only go as far as is comfortable and bearable.

I really sympathise wrt the hair washing :hug: - I remember it well!! I had to get help in the end.

Hope it mends soon - :flower: Angel xx