PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Watford - Dance Buddy needed

Gus
18th-April-2006, 01:11 AM
Just come back from Chester and met the daughter of one of our dancers. She manages to dance only when she comes to visit her dad, about once every 2 months, but despite that she's come on really well. The problem is that she lives in Watford and being only 17, she's really nervous about going on her own.

Never having been there, two questions;

Is she likely to find people there near her own age to dance with?
Any one on the forum there who could 'buddy up' with her so she doesn't feel so nervous?

Donna
18th-April-2006, 12:44 PM
Just come back from Chester and met the daughter of one of our dancers. She manages to dance only when she comes to visit her dad, about once every 2 months, but despite that she's come on really well. The problem is that she lives in Watford and being only 17, she's really nervous about going on her own.

Any one on the forum there who could 'buddy up' with her so she doesn't feel so nervous?

Aaah I know who this is. Great dancer the last time I saw her.:respect:

TA Guy
18th-April-2006, 07:02 PM
I am not really qualifed to comment on Watford, but I was born/did live there for 20 odd years, so I do occasionally pop in when I'm visiting relatives up there. Last time I went was about nine months ago. (very roughly).
The problem is it is held in a very small hall (shame they moved from the Southern Cross hotel), and the numbers are not exactly large. As I remember it, there was the odd under twenty, 2 or 3 maybe, but I wouldn't describe it as a 'young' venue.

All that said, who knows what happens in the last months, and if any Watford regular feels like correcting me, then I stand corrected.

Asif
18th-April-2006, 08:03 PM
I haven't been to Watford in ages but i remember it being a nice but quite small venue. Does she drive? If so, it might be worth her making the trip either to the North London (Finchley) venues or even going to Ashtons (Cricklewood) on Wednesday.

Paul F
18th-April-2006, 11:58 PM
Its ashame I am away for a while otherwise I would have gladly helped out.

Funny you should mention it actually. I have just been over to Croydon to the Ceroc night there because a girl I know really wanted to dance but didnt want to go on her own. It was a really good night.

I actually bought a Ceroc membership card :grin: Feels weird buying one now !

Paul F
19th-April-2006, 12:09 AM
I wonder how well a website dedicated to 'buddys' would go down :grin:

You pick a venue you want to go to (if noone else will go with you that is) then a local 'buddy' gets in touch and invites you to meet up and go along.

That would be lovely :nice:

Anna
19th-April-2006, 06:53 AM

Tell her to get over it!

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!!!

Plus there's nothing wrong with dancing people older than you and she doesn't need to feel nervous.

Gus
19th-April-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, this has proven that the Forum can be used for good as well as evil :wink: Had a few PMs from some very kind souls who have offered their help. Will be forwarding on the details. Many thanks to all :cheers:

Lory
19th-April-2006, 03:27 PM

I haven't been there in a while but I remember 'Sam' who DJ's, is only about 16 and her brother 'Jamie' is a Taxi dancer and he's only 19 or 20 and they both have mates that go.
But venue as a whole, is about average as age ranges go :)

fletch
19th-April-2006, 04:13 PM
Tell her to get over it!

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!!!

Plus there's nothing wrong with dancing people older than you and she doesn't need to feel nervous.
This comment seem a little harsh, not every one is that confident,:angry:
and she is obviously not that tough:what: but that doesn't mean she can't 'go':na:

At only 17 I wish her well :hug: we need more youngsters in MJ:cool:

Kev F
20th-April-2006, 12:32 AM

I learnt to dance at Watford Ceroc at the Moonglow Dance Studios where Richard Oliver teaches. In my opinion he is one of the best teachers on the circuit and I believe he now carries out all the new ceroc teacher training.

An ideal place to expand with a good friendly crowd located in estcourt road, just off the ring road, every tuesday and occasional saturday.

If she's worried, I can give him a ring to welcome her, although it's probably one of the friendliest venues anyway.

Good luck.

Anna
20th-April-2006, 12:33 AM
This comment seem a little harsh, not every one is that confident,:angry:
and she is obviously not that tough:what: but that doesn't mean she can't 'go':na:

At only 17 I wish her well :hug: we need more youngsters in MJ:cool:

All you need is faith in yourself.. Adults don't bite.

jive_me
20th-April-2006, 05:26 PM
I started at 17 by myself. I'm rather shy though...it would have been nice to have some friends to go with. But hey, I've met plenty of people now...all older than me but fantastic friends all the same. I'd help...but I'm closer to Chester than anywhere (lovely venue is Chester :nice: )

latinlover
20th-April-2006, 06:12 PM
All you need is faith in yourself.. Adults don't bite.

Blimey Anna , give a girl a break!

- is it being a brash aussie or can't you remember being 17 years old?

as father of two girls who started dancing in their teens and are both now fantastic dancers( one salsa,one Ceroc),
I know that most dance venues are vey friendly supportive places., full of friendly supportive adults. And I was much happier with them going there than to any old club with their dippy mates,.
I don't normally bother replying to this kind of post but you've fired me up now:angry:
what's your problem? why labour the point?

As it happens, I (and my daughter) started my ceroc life at the Watford venue and I can only agree with Kev F that Richard is one of the best teachers going. Sadly I don't get there very often now,but I can certainly vouch for its friendliness .And who can blame this girl for wanting some moral support?

jive_me
20th-April-2006, 06:38 PM
Young Cerocers Support Group :na: Could catch on :yum:

Gus
20th-April-2006, 08:20 PM
Young Cerocers Support Group :na: Could catch on :yum:Should be compulsory. The Ceroc world can be very intimidating. Not everyone is a confident as Anna (trust me she is VERY confident young lady ... but also a very nice one as well:) . Young females in particular can become targets of the 'lurkers' ... seen that a few too many times. Luckily, the Jive world being what it is, usualy someone takes them 'under wing'

ducasi
20th-April-2006, 11:04 PM
Blimey Anna , give a girl a break!

- is it being a brash aussie or can't you remember being 17 years old? I don't think she can remember being 17... For the simple reason that she's only 16... :D

It must just be she's a "brash aussie." :wink:

Rhythm King
20th-April-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't think she can remember being 17... For the simple reason that she's only 16... :D

It must just be she's a "brash aussie." :wink:
Nah. Brash Kiwi, maybe :wink:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-April-2006, 12:33 AM

Aww that's a shame that she's feeling nervous, but talking from experience-I don't think she should have any problem. I started when I was 17, my mate came with me for 2 weeks so I wouldn't have to go alone, but she didn't like it as everyone was alot older: sorry *ducks* so i've been by myself since then, but it's been fine :grin:
However, I will say that after I met another forumite who I get on really well with I often find myself missing her when she isn't there so think that perhaps it is harder to go to a venue by yourself if you have previously went with someone else, she just needs time to adjust, once she gets there and starts dancing she'll forget all about it :waycool: I also think that it was probably easier for me as I "thrive" in social situations (reading the horoscopes again) and for those who know me will know that I usually find it hard to keep my mouth shut and must talk to as many people as possible whilst at Ceroc :D It's a personality thing too, if she's quiet she'll find it harder.