PDA

View Full Version : hugs vs. kissing on the cheeks

New_to_London
16th-April-2006, 11:15 PM
Hugs are good! :hug:

I agree. But, a few months ago, I ran into a woman who told me: “I don’t do hugs.” Apparently, she would only engage in the British practice of kissing on the cheeks.

This begs the question: What do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer hugs.

MartinHarper
16th-April-2006, 11:18 PM
Apparently, she would only engage in the British practice of kissing on the cheeks.

Isn't that more continental than british?

Princess Fi
16th-April-2006, 11:20 PM
Isn't that more continental than british?

:yeah:

Not that I'm against it of course! :flower:

Yliander
16th-April-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree. But, a few months ago, I ran into a woman who told me: “I don’t do hugs.” Apparently, she would only engage in the British practice of kissing on the cheeks.

Personally, I prefer hugs.well it all depends I don't have hard and fast rule - some people I hug some I kiss on the cheek, some I do both to :nice: and then there is the occasional person that I just don't want to have touching me at all

BobbyA
16th-April-2006, 11:48 PM
and then there is the occasional person that I just don't want to have touching me at all

Do you dance with these people? It could be tricky to dance with these if you don't allow any sort of contact. Unless its the dancing around handbags type thing?

Caro
17th-April-2006, 12:09 AM
Interesting question :D
I'm French and really really not used to hugs! that's just something we don't do (but we kiss each cheek at least once and sometimes we do 3 or 4 kisses - it all depends where you come from that's a regional thing!).

And to me hugs do feel a lot more intimate that kisses (I suppose that's just because that's what we're used to do!)... and to be honest they still feel a bit awkward: I don't really know how to do them if that makes any sense? :what: :blush:

Whereas I have noticed it's exactly the opposite with British: most of them don't know how to do 2 (or more) kisses: they kind of take a long time because they move quite far away in between the kisses... the French stay very close (nose almost touch!) ... :whistle: :innocent:

so to me, it's :kiss: definately!!!

Yliander
17th-April-2006, 12:20 AM
Do you dance with these people? It could be tricky to dance with these if you don't allow any sort of contact. Unless its the dancing around handbags type thing?well when I can manage it I don't dance with them - if I can't avoid them well then I am polite and dance with them say thank you for the dance and go on my way

philsmove
17th-April-2006, 12:25 AM
It depends on the person, the time and the situation

But I do like a hug, from the right person, at the right time

Baruch
17th-April-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm not a very huggy or kissy person, unless it's someone I know pretty well, and even then rarely. I think it's a Welsh male thing, although of course there are exceptions. So I ticked "I'd rather just dance".

pjay
17th-April-2006, 05:25 AM
As with everyone else I say it depends on people setting etc... but I say hug & kiss - but that is just because I like both...

I think that a hug is more intimate than a kiss on the cheek... and less intimate than lips...

Andreas
17th-April-2006, 07:17 AM
I prefer to hug.

TheTramp
17th-April-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm not a very huggy or kissy person, unless it's someone I know pretty well, and even then rarely. I think it's a Welsh male thing, although of course there are exceptions.

I'm the exception! :whistle:

Rhythm King
17th-April-2006, 10:01 AM
I go with Yliander on this one, it depends on the person and to some extent, the situation. On the whole my dance friends are far more tactile than my non-dance friends.

Minnie M
17th-April-2006, 10:22 AM
I go with Yliander on this one, it depends on the person and to some extent, the situation. On the whole my dance friends are far more tactile than my non-dance friends.
:yeah: :hug: :yeah:
I lurve hugs :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I stopped hugging my grown up son when he became a teenager as I thought it would embarass him, however since I started dancing I realised how wonderful it feels to be hugged and to hug (not everyone of course) and by accident I gave him a large hug one day and he appeared to like it - so now I get hugs on every visit (hellos and goodbyes) :clap: :clap: and I feel so much closer to him :yeah: :flower: :clap:

Anyother good thing that has come from dancing :cheers:

BTW David Barker is top of my list for hugs :flower::drool:

Frankie_4711
17th-April-2006, 11:14 AM
I am reasonably comfortable with either (depending, as has been said before, on the person/situation), but unless it's someone I know really well, I won't instigate either, will just go along with whatever they do first - would never say 'I don't do ... '! So as a vote I decided to go with 'Just dance' because if left up to me entirely I probably wouldn't bother with anything.

Lynn
17th-April-2006, 11:33 AM
I love hugs!:hug:

I think it depends on what you are used to. The church I used to go to was very 'huggy' - people arriving would be greeted with a hug or kiss on the cheek (depending on the giver and recepient). I've noticed in the dancing world people are much more into hugs and kisses than the norm - and it suits me fine.

Funny though there are still some friends I've known for years and not hugged much, who now dance...not sure how they would react if I started hugging them. Though when a friend found an earring I had lost while dancing last week I gave her a hug.:hug:

Kisses on the cheek, if its a guy I have had some lovely dances with and felt comfortable with then a kiss on the cheek or a hug just seems appropriate. But some guys, I wouldn't want a kiss from! (And some guys can be a bit sneaky and change it to a kiss on the lips at the last minute!)

pjay
17th-April-2006, 11:46 AM
(And some guys can be a bit sneaky and change it to a kiss on the lips at the last minute!)

That's not just the guys....

jiveknight
17th-April-2006, 01:25 PM
Wherever possible both!

Although Americans aren't always used to the kissing bit so the hug can turn into an affectionate head butt, still lurv though :nice:

Georgious dancer
17th-April-2006, 04:52 PM
Hmmm...I'm a very affectionate touchy feeling person and being half cypriot and half english have been brought up to accept both hugs and kisses as normal.

But I agree with all of you that say it depends on the situation and the person. There are some people that I wouldn't hesitate to greet with a hug and a kiss while there are others that I wouldn't even contemplate it.

As to what do I prefer... It really does depend on who it is and where I am!

David Barker is top of my list for hugs

Top hug has to go to Raph, but Spice and Easy comes a close second!

Tazmanian Devil
17th-April-2006, 05:14 PM
Hmmm...I'm a very affectionate touchy feeling person and being half cypriot and half english have been brought up to accept both hugs and kisses as normal.
Your telling me :devil:

But I agree with all of you that say it depends on the situation and the person. There are some people that I wouldn't hesitate to greet with a hug and a kiss while there are others that I wouldn't even contemplate it.
So how come I see you snogging everyone then?!!:devil: :D

As to what do I prefer... It really does depend on who it is and what room I am in!!
:eek:

Top hug has to go to Raph, but Spice and Easy, Dirty D, Foxy, thewacko, Clive Long, Russell Saxby, Dan Hudson, Anyone thats available come a close second!
You floozy you :rofl:

Freya
17th-April-2006, 05:20 PM
Again it depends on the person! I'm a very Very huggy touchy feely kinda person so i'm more likely to give a hug and a kiss on the cheek especially if I know the person! Will only ever kiss on the lips tho if I really know the person and i know the sense in which it is given!!!

isa
17th-April-2006, 05:26 PM
Interesting question :D .................
...............so to me, it's :kiss: definately!!!

I'm with you Caro, one more vote for kissing on the cheeks.
Us Frenchies prefer to :kiss: , even guys do it to each other :eek: doesn't mean a thing though :grin:

Georgious dancer
17th-April-2006, 05:45 PM
So how come I see you snogging everyone then?!!:devil: :D

Taz I know we spend a lots of time together but I think you are getting me confused with yourself. I mean there aren't pictures on the forum of me kissing numerous men:rofl:

Magic Hans
17th-April-2006, 05:49 PM
Hugs is best!!!!

I was brought up pretty Victorian like with a Dad who'd been in the RAF since 17. And so was pretty much discouraged from being emotionally demonstrative .... ['cos that's what girlies do, and not big boys!:sick: ]

It's only when I went to the Greek island of Skyros that I actually learned how to hug again .... oh, and group hug!! [even better!]

I probably seem like a bit of a hippy (or New Ager) to some, and that's ok!

... Ian

oh ... and here's a pome!!

It's wondrous what a hug can do,
A hug can cheer you when you're blue.
A hug can say, "I love You so,"
Or, "Gee, I hate to see you go."
A hug is "Welcome back again!"
And "Great to see you!" or
"Where've you been?"

A hug can soothe a small child's pain,
And bring a rainbow after rain.
The hug! There's just no doubt about it ...
We scarcely could survive without it!

A hug delights and warms and charms,
It must be why God gave us arms.
Hugs are great for fathers and mothers,
Sweet for sisters, swell for brothers.
And chances are some favorite aunts
Love them more than potted plants. [Cheesy or what!!]

Kittens crave them, puppies love them;
Heads of states are not above them.
A hug can break the language barrier,
And make the dullest day seem merrier.
No need to fret about your store of 'em ...
The more you give, the more there are of them.
So stretch those arms without delay
And give someone a hug today!!!

~ Dean Walley ~

Tazmanian Devil
17th-April-2006, 05:50 PM
Taz I know we spend a lots of time together but I think you are getting me confused with yourself. I mean there aren't pictures on the forum of me kissing numerous men:rofl:

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Rhythm King
17th-April-2006, 06:05 PM
I mean there aren't pictures on the forum of me kissing numerous men:rofl:
I'll bring the camera, if you bring the lips! :awe: :yum: :kiss:

R-K:wink: :hug:

New_to_London
18th-April-2006, 12:39 AM
I think that a hug is more intimate than a kiss on the cheek... and less intimate than lips...

I agree. That’s why I prefer to hug. And, depending on the lady, it’s not a wimpy leaning-forward upper-chest hug, but a real full-body hug.

To me, kissing on the cheeks seems so superficial. It’s almost a kind of debasement--I would rather reserve my lips for more intimate uses.

pjay
18th-April-2006, 07:28 AM
And, depending on the lady, it’s not a wimpy leaning-forward upper-chest hug, but a real full-body hug.

Of course.... I say if you're gonna hug, then you might as well do it properly... (unless of course you're really sweaty after dancing, in which case a "non-touching" hug is appropriate for someone you know well :nice:

TiggsTours
18th-April-2006, 02:16 PM
Really depends who, where, when and why.

Donna
18th-April-2006, 02:22 PM
It doesn't bother me at all - hugs and kisses everytime! It depends who it is though. Obviously if it's someone I get on with and really like then I don't have a problem with it all. I'm a very affectionate person. Nowt wrong with that. Even if it's someone I don't know so well but I have a good feeling about them... yeah, they'll get one too! :na: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss:

Lee
19th-April-2006, 12:41 PM

Personally, I prefer hugs.

Now i like this thread :respect:

I am not a touchy feely person and I rarely used to even shake my (male) mates hands when I saw them, and I only kissed my female mates once on the cheek.

Since starting Ceroc it seems to be the norm that every guy is wacking his hand out for you to shake and all the ladies are going for the double cheek kiss thang.

What happened to the British kiss? :confused:

Lee

Lee
19th-April-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree. That’s why I prefer to hug. And, depending on the lady, it’s not a wimpy leaning-forward upper-chest hug, but a real full-body hug.

To me, kissing on the cheeks seems so superficial. It’s almost a kind of debasement--I would rather reserve my lips for more intimate uses.

No, I think hugs are what you do with your partner, whereas cheek kisses are less intimate (and are more formal).

Now lets talk about the 'use of lips for more intimate uses' :innocent:

Lee

ToeTrampler
19th-April-2006, 01:00 PM
What happened to the British kiss? :confused:
LeeAs long as you stay away from the "Glasgow kiss", I wouldn't worry :wink:

Donna
19th-April-2006, 01:29 PM
As long as you stay away from the "Glasgow kiss", I wouldn't worry :wink:

The Glasgow kiss? Ahem. Explain.:wink: Hey ever tried a Liverpool kiss? :rofl:

ToeTrampler
19th-April-2006, 02:11 PM
~ Hey ever tried a Liverpool kiss? :rofl:Is that the same a "stealing a kiss"? :D
(Oh bu**er I'm gonna get a fair bit of -ve rep from any Liverpudlians out there, sorry, sorry, honestly :flower: )

Donna
19th-April-2006, 02:15 PM
Is that the same a "stealing a kiss"? :D
(Oh bu**er I'm gonna get a fair bit of -ve rep from any Liverpudlians out there, sorry, sorry, honestly :flower: )

Yeah!! PHIL OH PHIL?! WHERE ARE YOU?:)

A liverpool kiss is a head butt. I'm sure you knew that.:wink:

Trish
19th-April-2006, 02:36 PM
I like both, but the kissing on the cheek can be a bit dodgy, I went to kiss a female friend of mine on the cheek and we both inadvertently turned the wrong way and ended up kissing on the lips. Kissing on the lips is generally reserved for my husband, unless it's by accident! Funny but slightly enbarassing! :blush:

Mostly left to my own devices my inclination would be to hug rather than kiss, but I don't think I'd ever refuse either! Haven't been dancing for a month or so now (banned by my midwife!), and I really miss the hugs! Hopefully I'll be back out there soon though.

Donna
19th-April-2006, 02:42 PM
I like both, but the kissing on the cheek can be a bit dodgy, I went to kiss a female friend of mine on the cheek and we both inadvertently turned the wrong way and ended up kissing on the lips. Kissing on the lips is generally reserved for my husband, unless it's by accident! Funny but slightly enbarassing! :blush:

That's hilarious!!!! :rofl: I've done that before.. but luckily enough not with a female! Yes it's embarrassing, but I can just laugh it off easily! :rofl:

Alice
19th-April-2006, 06:03 PM
well it all depends I don't have hard and fast rule - some people I hug some I kiss on the cheek, some I do both to :nice: and then there is the occasional person that I just don't want to have touching me at all
I'm the same- depends on the person. (I prefer hugs though). My family is very huggy- but I haven't always been ok about hugging my friends much. Luckily dancing has put paid to that one, but it does still depend- some people I don't hug much, even close friends, and others I hug a lot :)

And I'm a lot more tactile around dancing friends than otherwise.

I've spend enough time in France to be quite ok with the kissing on the cheeks thing, but I must say, I find hugs are more.....friendly...and comforting...

jive_me
21st-April-2006, 11:48 AM
There's nothing better than a hug! If you're dancing with someone and you get on well a hug afterwards is always of the lovely. Kisses I feel are better reserved for when you know the person a little better. I'd feel a small bit like my personal space was being invaded if I met someone for the first time and they kissed me. But then again...consider me open on this one :o :flower:

Donna, would you be referring to a Kirby Kiss

xXx

Donna
21st-April-2006, 11:56 AM
There's nothing better than a hug! If you're dancing with someone and you get on well a hug afterwards is always of the lovely.

:yeah:

Kisses I feel are better reserved for when you know the person a little better. I'd feel a small bit like my personal space was being invaded if I met someone for the first time and they kissed me. But then again...consider me open on this one :o :flower:

This doesn't bother me at all. Again, depends on first impressions then I'll do so. Everyone is different.

Donna, would you be referring to a Kirby Kiss

A Kirby Kiss?

jive_me
21st-April-2006, 12:03 PM
Sometimes kisses are good...

A Kirby Kiss...so named after a particular area in Liverpool.

Donna
21st-April-2006, 12:10 PM
Sometimes kisses are good...

A Kirby Kiss...so named after a particular area in Liverpool.

Well if a Liverpool kiss is a head butt... then what makes the Kirby one so different?

Your wife
21st-April-2006, 01:37 PM
why isn't there a "I prefere full sex" option?

jive_me
21st-April-2006, 01:59 PM
I think they're the same thing :sick: how confusing. You haven't heard of a Kirby Kiss and I haven't heard of a Liverpool Kiss :grin:

Donna
21st-April-2006, 02:01 PM
I think they're the same thing :sick: how confusing. You haven't heard of a Kirby Kiss and I haven't heard of a Liverpool Kiss :grin:

I remember when I was about 10 or 11 and I had a crush on this guy at school. He asked if I wanted a Liverpool kiss, and not knowing what it was, I got all excited!!! :rofl: doh.

jive_me
21st-April-2006, 02:05 PM
I bet that was one heck of a surprise :yum:

Donna
21st-April-2006, 02:15 PM
I bet that was one heck of a surprise :yum:

Well good job I was too shy and said no!!!! :rofl:

Lory
23rd-April-2006, 08:48 PM
I love hugs and kisses but I have to say, there's nothing worse than giving a non reciprocated hug, it feels so cold. :sick:

I come from a very warm and affectionate family and it grieves me to see how distant some families can be with eachother :sad:

Donna
24th-April-2006, 12:11 PM
I come from a very warm and affectionate family and it grieves me to see how distant some families can be with eachother :sad:

Yeah me too. I was thinking about this before. I've known a few people who come from distant families. It's quite sad. :sad:

bobgadjet
26th-April-2006, 12:56 AM
Personally, I don't think you can beat a warm cuddly cosy generous hug, topped with a smacker on the cheaks.............Just like Minnie gives:hug: :hug: :hug:

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Make me feel all warm inside:kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Minnie M
26th-April-2006, 08:06 AM
Personally, I don't think you can beat a warm cuddly cosy generous hug, topped with a smacker on the cheaks.............Just like Minnie gives:hug: :hug: :hug:

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Make me feel all warm inside
It's all from the heart........... (you need to click on the lips)

Cruella
26th-April-2006, 08:12 AM
Until i started dancing i wasn't very tactile at all. I loved cuddles from my husband and kids but felt really uncomfortable hugging anyone else, even my parents! For some reason i absolutely love hugs from my dancing pals and am now a very cuddly person.:hug: The intimacy of partner dancing has broken down alot of barriers for me. I do agree with Lory though, i hate it when the hugs are not recipocated, it feels so awkward. :blush: