PDA

View Full Version : RE: Hammersmith Comp 2006 - Is it true what I hear about food and drink?

marty_baby
11th-April-2006, 09:02 PM
Hiya All,

RE: Hammersmith competition 2006 - Is it true what I hear about food and drink????

I heard some gossip over the weekend. Is it true that we are not allowed to bring our own food and drink into the Palais itself??? I don't want to sound controversial, but eh???? :confused:

Drink
- What about people who want to bring along Isotonic drinks etc? No one wants to bomb out with cramp on competition day, and all day dancing is a pretty taxing activity.

Food
- I hear the place sells burgers and fries etc... Ok for a munch - but for an all day event???

Rant over :D

But serious questions:

1. Is the stuff on sell actually of a decent variety (Any sandwiches, isotonic drinks etc?)
2. Can we expect long ques for bottles of water etc?
3. Are all the bag searched as we go in? Ie allow for enough time for ques to get into the place...

Hope you can advise

Cheers
Martin

Cruella
11th-April-2006, 09:14 PM
1. Is the stuff on sell actually of a decent variety (Any sandwiches, isotonic drinks etc?)
2. Can we expect long ques for bottles of water etc?
3. Are all the bag searched as we go in? Ie allow for enough time for ques to get into the place...

Hope you can advise

Cheers
Martin
The last two years the bags were all searched, I managed to sneak some food in by putting it in my dance shoes and wrapped in my spare undies :D They weren't gonna put their hands in there. :rofl: I think i remember the food being far better last year than the previous, more choice and healthier options. We were up at the top and i didn't queue once for a drink.

Minnie M
11th-April-2006, 10:02 PM
There is a decent Tescos just down the road and a good pub, and many cafes etc in the area - personally I would rather go out in the fresh air for a break and a bite to eat rather than stay cooped up in the hall all day and night

Mary
11th-April-2006, 10:18 PM
These kind of rules are usually governed by the venue and not by ceroc. I will take a bag with my name on to be left in the foyer which is where the security searches take place. They do not seem to have a problem with that. They just don't like you taking stuff in to the main venue.

Water is free so that isn't a problem. The white wine is pants and expensive and the barman will agree with you on that one - so if you need your hit after competing, then leave it at the door - a good excuse to get away from the noise and take a dram and a breather.

It's a question of being sensible and working with the team - if you have special dietary needs (e.g. life-threatening nut allergy) then allowances I believe are obviously made - just don't abuse the system.

I gather good sensible stuff was available last year, but a lot of it went to waste as a lot of people didn't know about the change of catering policy. The CerocChamps people DO listen to the punters needs - let's not waste their efforts.:worthy:

M

marty_baby
12th-April-2006, 12:27 AM
All good comments and ideas ladies, thank you.

I'm bit of a all day nibbler though... so not having a bag of seeds, packet of crisps, or apple etc to hand will be ...well strange.

I hope the "system" hangs onto their guns, and keep dishing out more sensible foods on the day - I'll eat a large chunk of it! :D

ElaineB
12th-April-2006, 07:28 AM
Marty,

You remember my advice on Isotonic drinks. I always take them to competitions to stave off cramp (happened one year for me in a Semi!). Anyway, if you Email Ceroc and explain that you need to take them for medical purposes (same for anyone on special diets by the way!), they will give you a 'note' that you can show to the 'Gorillas' on the door and you will be allowed to take them in.

Oh and you can have fun smuggling in other bits and bobs.........we used to have a competition for the most ingenius place for a banana........:whistle: Very well hidden in underwired bras!

Elaine

TiggsTours
12th-April-2006, 09:47 AM
I know that the "no food and drink to be brought in" policy is a Hammersmith Palais one, and not Ceroc. Ceroc have over the years managed to break them down a bit, and at least get free water and healthier food laid on, and they do now have plenty of fresh fruit for sale, but that said, if you want something substantial to eat then you still need to go outside, certainly last year it was still just burgers and chips being served! They do do (I've been told) really nice sandwiches, but for someone who doesn't eat bread, that's not overly helpful really!

I left my lunch in my car last year, and it was a really nice welcome break to get out into the fresh air to eat it, and there are loads of places round there where you can go out for dinner.

As for isotonic drinks, they sell red bull behind the bar, but that's about as far as it goes.

Donna
12th-April-2006, 10:28 AM
I didn't touch the food last year as it's too heavy (not what you need during a dance comp as that leaves me feeling rather sluggish) We went out and bought some really healthy stuff like pasta, salad and lots of fruit. As for the high energy drinks, we were allowed to leave them with security at the door and left our names on them so every now and then we would pop out for some fresh air and a drink. Doesn't do any good to stay in the venue all day and night anyway, and not many people do that! You tend to have a long break between rounds (if you get through to the next one that is otherwise you wouldn't have anything to worry about) so allows you plenty of time to go for a long stroll or even sunbathe! :grin:

marty_baby
27th-April-2006, 10:56 AM
Hiya All,

I've just recieved the below email.
Looks like we can bring in food and drink now
...plus Video Cameras!

Well done Ceroc!

Quite impressed with such a large organistation being so responsive to customer feedback. I'm getting a very positive impression of Ceroc - bringing Dancing to the Masses, loads of different events, friendly etc.

Roll on Hammersmith! :D
(I think this will be my Catch phrase for the next few days! :rofl: )

Martin
:clap:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Competitor

As you are aware all rules for the competition categories are detailed on www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#definitions

Please ensure that you are fully conversant with the rules specific with your category as you will be disqualified if you do not adhere to them.

Further Rule Clarification:

Open: The 7 second rule is for Major aerials only – Baby Aerials can last longer.

Ceroc X: Double Turns & Spins are acceptable

THESE UPDATES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE WEBSITE

Updates / Reminders to the Day:

Please do not attempt to bring drink into the venue as this will be confiscated by venue security and slow down the entrance procedure.

As an amendment to the initial instructions you are now allowed to bring your own food into the venue.
You may use video cameras in the venue

If you are in the Lucky Dip please ensure that you arrive at the venue by 11am at the latest as the first heat starts at 11.30am. Doors open at 10.30am. If you arrive too late you will miss your slot.
Schedules for the day will be given out upon arrival, so if you are competing please ensure you arrive in good time to avoid missing your 1st heat.
There will be a DVD available from the day within 2 weeks following the event. Order will be taken on the day.
There is a competitor’s cloakroom on the balcony situated opposite the ladies changing room. This room is unmanned and therefore not secure, please leave all valuables in the secure cloakroom situated in the foyer. It is provided for competitors to hang their costumes and facilitate quick access to bags and clothes. NB This is not a changing room – there are separate mens and ladies changing rooms close by.
Showcase and Team Cabaret entrants will have separate dressing room facilities with specific time slots. Please speak to Val on arrival at the venue to find out your time slot and get the security code.
If you have not received your dance number in the post please see Val upon arrival in the foyer.

At this stage we still have a few spaces for the Guys Lucky Dip so if you are interested in taking part in this category too please contact me on 07830 205155.

Good luck and have great day

Val

Donna
27th-April-2006, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=marty_baby]Hiya All,

I've just recieved the below email.
Looks like we can bring in food and drink now
...plus Video Cameras!

Well done Ceroc!

Quite impressed with such a large organistation being so responsive to customer feedback. I'm getting a very positive impression of Ceroc - bringing Dancing to the Masses, loads of different events, friendly etc.

Roll on Hammersmith! :D
(I think this will be my Catch phrase for the next few days! :rofl: )

Martin
:clap:

Ooooer interesting! I wonder why they're allowing us to take video cams in when the event is already being filmed?:confused:

It doesn't mention being able to take our own drinks in though, just food. Fair enough.. not too keen on the food there anyway.. too stodgy.

Tiggerbabe
27th-April-2006, 11:20 AM
Please do not attempt to bring drink into the venue
I think that's pretty clear :)
if I remember they did have free tap water available at all of the bars :clap:

marty_baby
27th-April-2006, 11:49 AM
I think that's pretty clear :)
if I remember they did have free tap water available at all of the bars :clap:

Oh blast!
Sorry guys - speed reading - um... mis-reading!

Its a good idea to stick this stuff onto the forum - and let you girls read the small print! :rofl:

ok... food only... :na:

Donna
27th-April-2006, 12:14 PM
Oh blast!
Sorry guys - speed reading - um... mis-reading!

Oh that's ok Martin, we believe you. :hug:

stewart38
27th-April-2006, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE]

It doesn't mention being able to take our own drinks in though, just food. Fair enough.. not too keen on the food there anyway.. too stodgy.

I wonder sometimes if i go to the same venue. Was about 100 food items ?

It didnt have Italian moat loaf leaves on a red belly casta source but from memory im sure it had load more choices then the years before :sad:

Donna
27th-April-2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Donna]

I wonder sometimes if i go to the same venue. Was about 100 food items ?

It didnt have Italian moat loaf leaves on a red belly casta source but from memory im sure it had load more choices then the years before :sad:

Will check it out this weekend, and if it's just chips and burgers, I'm off to boots too get some REAL stuff!

Petal
27th-April-2006, 01:23 PM
Please do not attempt to bring drink into the venue as this will be confiscated by venue security and slow down the entrance procedure.

It does say you can't bring drink in.

Yogi_Bear
30th-April-2006, 11:00 PM
So if there is free tap water available at the bars why would people not be able to take their own bottles of water in? Why should I have to go to the bar and look for some tap water of unknown quality when I can have a bottle of water of my own to hand?

I wouldn't pay money to go into a venue where bags are searched and you aren't allowed to take in a bottle of water. I would take my custom elsewhere.

marty_baby
1st-May-2006, 01:32 PM
So if there is free tap water available at the bars why would people not be able to take their own bottles of water in? Why should I have to go to the bar and look for some tap water of unknown quality when I can have a bottle of water of my own to hand?

I wouldn't pay money to go into a venue where bags are searched and you aren't allowed to take in a bottle of water. I would take my custom elsewhere.

Hiya Yogi,

Oh, I reckon it was more for Alcohol more than anything else - rather than bringing in your own water.

In the end - none of this "food and drink malarky" was an issue. Free water was readily available, by friendly bar staff... and the food served in the diner was also of a pretty good quality.

My 1st time at Hammersmith. I found it a very dance-able kinda venue really. Easy to get to from the West Country as well. Even the lighting was improved from last year apparently.

Well done Ceroc!

Cheers
Martin

Tessalicious
1st-May-2006, 02:07 PM
So if there is free tap water available at the bars why would people not be able to take their own bottles of water in? Why should I have to go to the bar and look for some tap water of unknown quality when I can have a bottle of water of my own to hand?But then again, if it's a toss-up between paying maybe a pound of the entry fee for the privilege of as much free, well-iced, cold water as I want, whenever I want it or the same amount of water bottled, warm and that I have had to carry there, I have to say I'm more than happy with what was on offer. My one complaint is that they ran out of Mars bars in the canteen - I mean, honestly!

Donna
4th-May-2006, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=marty_baby]and the food served in the diner was also of a pretty good quality.

Food was great!!! Luuuved the pizza!!! :drool:

[QUOTE]My 1st time at Hammersmith. I found it a very dance-able kinda venue really. Easy to get to from the West Country as well. Even the lighting was improved from last year apparently.

Well done Ceroc!

:yeah::clap: Could turn back the clock and do it all over again!!