PDA

View Full Version : Movie - Take the lead

Lory
10th-April-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this....

It's out this Friday, 14th April :nice:

Have a look at the video trailer on this site! (http://www.taketheleadmovie.com/main.html) You have to scroll down and click on 'video':)

Lynn
10th-April-2006, 07:54 PM
Sounds good, planning to go and see it, might even see if I can get a crowd of dancers to go along, that would be fun!

Dizzy
10th-April-2006, 08:00 PM

:yeah: I was looking out for this. If anyone is up for a dance group outing, count me in :D

ducasi
10th-April-2006, 08:25 PM
:yeah: I was looking out for this. If anyone is up for a dance group outing, count me in :D
:yeah:

Though I suspect we'll need to have separate groups...

Andreas
10th-April-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I have already marked this for 'need to do while in Melbourne'. :waycool:

Cruella
10th-April-2006, 08:35 PM
:yeah:

Though I suspect we'll need to have separate groups...
:yeah: but can i join the northern group please.:flower:

drathzel
10th-April-2006, 09:39 PM
Sounds good, planning to go and see it, might even see if I can get a crowd of dancers to go along, that would be fun!

:yeah: can i come!:flower:

Lynn
11th-April-2006, 10:25 AM
OK - so several group outings then, a Scottish one, a London one and a NI one!:clap:

senorita
11th-April-2006, 10:30 AM

Have a look at the video trailer on this site! (http://www.taketheleadmovie.com/main.html) You have to scroll down and click on 'video':)

Hey looks good...will watch this when I'm back from my holiday!
Anyone interested in joining me let me know plz :nice:

Rhythm King
11th-April-2006, 10:37 AM
What happened to the original thread about this? We don't want to leave people out if trips are being planned :nice:

jacksondonut
11th-April-2006, 11:04 AM
OOOOOOOO YES... This looks good.. count me in too...:clap: :clap:

Jan:flower:

Donna
11th-April-2006, 11:27 AM
Aaahh yes! I've been told about this movie and it's a definate MUST SEE!

timbp
11th-April-2006, 11:59 AM
It's not released here until 25 May!

So please, if there are important plot turns, don't post them without due warning.
And if it turns out it's not worth paying to see at the cinema, let us (Australians) know before we organise our own group to see it.

WittyBird
11th-April-2006, 12:14 PM
They are about to review this on This Morning.

Donna
11th-April-2006, 12:27 PM
It's not released here until 25 May!

So please, if there are important plot turns, don't post them without due warning.
And if it turns out it's not worth paying to see at the cinema, let us (Australians) know before we organise our own group to see it.

Don't worry timbp. When I've seen it I'll PM you and let you know the whole story.:D

Gojive
11th-April-2006, 12:30 PM
They are about to review this on This Morning.

Just caught it! Certainly looks and sounds like it could be a winner :clap:

Donna
11th-April-2006, 12:40 PM
Just caught it! Certainly looks and sounds like it could be a winner :clap:

Will hopefully encourage all those couch potatoes out there to get up and do something useful then!!! :rofl:

killingtime
11th-April-2006, 12:43 PM
I should be up for an Edinburgh trip :D.

Freya
11th-April-2006, 03:34 PM
Count me in to :clap: - Aberdeen Trip???

clevedonboy
11th-April-2006, 04:44 PM
I just showed the trailer to saxylady & she's had to go and have a lie down!

ducasi
11th-April-2006, 05:13 PM
I could do Edinburgh on Friday or Monday – afternoon or early evening; maybe Aberdeen on Sunday afternoon; or Glasgow anytime Friday, Sunday evening, or Monday.

Let me know if anyone's planning anything around those times... :flower:

killingtime
11th-April-2006, 05:21 PM
I could do Edinburgh on Friday or Monday – afternoon or early evening; maybe Aberdeen on Sunday afternoon; or Glasgow anytime Friday, Sunday evening, or Monday.

Are you around Edinburgh on Friday and Monday or are you talking about coming through :eek:?

ducasi
11th-April-2006, 05:30 PM
Are you around Edinburgh on Friday and Monday or are you talking about coming through :eek:?
I could come through... It's not so far... Depends on whether I get any better offer... :D

Msfab
11th-April-2006, 05:37 PM
This is probably a movie I shouldnt go see - might give me ideas! Hey Dirty D!:innocent:

Donna
11th-April-2006, 06:35 PM
Actually just looking at it (now I've managed to install quicktime!) it looks like it's going to be "Save The Last Dance" meets "Dirty Dancing 2" .

Frankie_4711
11th-April-2006, 06:37 PM
What happened to the original thread about this? We don't want to leave people out if trips are being planned :nice:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8174

Cruella
13th-April-2006, 12:31 PM
A group of us are going to see this on sat in Aberdeen at 1.35pm. Anyone else wanna come?

Freya
13th-April-2006, 12:34 PM
Awww would have loved too but can't as I'm working till 2! :(

ducasi
13th-April-2006, 12:55 PM
A group of us are going to see this on sat in Aberdeen at 1.35pm. Anyone else wanna come?
I'll be going to a workshop at 2pm... :(

Any Glasgow or Edinburgh people fancy Friday or Monday, let me know... :flower:

senorita
13th-April-2006, 01:50 PM
Anyone interested in joining me let me know plz :nice:

Dont all reply at once will you! :D :rofl:

Dont worry I'll go on my own ;-(( I'll be the one throwing popcorn at everyone! ;-P
No sympathy rep plz ;-)

killingtime
13th-April-2006, 01:55 PM
Any Glasgow or Edinburgh people fancy Friday or Monday, let me know... :flower:

I haven't heard anything from anyone else. Louisa and I were a bit indifferent; we kinda would like to see it but it wasn't a definite or anything. I haven't heard anything from anyone else in this fair city though.

Chicklet
14th-April-2006, 08:56 PM
Just in from a view... "Disney does Dance" or "Messages to Music"....thoroughly enjoyed it but it is rather er lightweight, IMHO.

jacksondonut
15th-April-2006, 12:47 AM
Just got in from our local fleapit... The Escape at Central Milton Keynes.,. gotta say I found it a thorough enjoyable experience, loved the music, it got my feet tapping straight away and I wanted to go out dancing straight afterwards... unfortunately had to come home instead...:whistle:

Antonio, well, I think he's in pretty good shape but didnt see enough of him dancing in the movie.. the kids were awesome and I thought it was nicely acted and quite emotional in places.. (yes, a touch of Dirty Dancing, but I didnt really care that much, DD is my most favourite film of all time... after all, I am a girly, girly.....)

It is in my opinion worth a look. I love watching street dancing listening to R&B(?) music anyway, it gets played a lot at home, so its pretty familiar. I would go and see it again. Could have watched the dancing scenes for much longer, but got thrown out... :sad: (well, not really, but was the only bodies left in the room..)

Hope you guys enjoy watching it.. I know some of the moves I will never master...:rofl: :rofl: :yeah:

Goodnight.x
:cheers:

Petal
15th-April-2006, 02:13 PM
Hope you guys enjoy watching it.. I know some of the moves I will never master...:rofl: :rofl: :yeah:

Goodnight.x

That will be the flying kick move, :what: which caused a gasp from a few people in the audience. I really enjoyed the film, especially the competition scene, well worth going to see.:flower:

DianaS
16th-April-2006, 07:28 PM
Hmmm I went to see it last night and felt disappointed.
It was a real life film turned into junk. a shame cas something really important and significant did happen there.

The dancing though was brill and I swear I'll see it again on dvd

Stuart
16th-April-2006, 07:51 PM
It was a real life film turned into junk. a shame cas something really important and significant did happen there.

According to the film review in the Independent on Sunday, it is actually based on the teacher who featured in "Mad Hot Ballroom".

jiveknight
17th-April-2006, 02:10 PM
Saw it yesterday. I thought it was very enjoyable and a good message and a more original take on the well used "nobodies to somebodies" theme, follow your dream etc.

The dancing was very good but felt sometimes I would rather see the moves complete from one angle more than the swift camera changes to really get the excitement of the dance - great though and it will certainly promote partner dancing all the more (a very good thing!) :grin:

Ended up dancing (tango attempt) in the cinema car park of course...

Gus
17th-April-2006, 02:24 PM
So ... anyone want to take any bets as to how long before the more dramatic of the moves get incorporated into the competition circuit. A prize for the first person to spot an assimilated move at the Ceroc champs:wink:

Joking aside, thing any of the moves or style will be incorporated into a MJ lesson anytime soon?

ducasi
17th-April-2006, 02:48 PM
I went to see it on Friday with a few dancer friends. Really enjoyed the dancing and the music. I wrote some more on my blog (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/04/17/take-the-lead/).

Question is... Is that really Antonio Banderas dancing the Tango? (I can't say I was watching him much at the time... :D)

Lucy Locket
17th-April-2006, 02:57 PM
:flower: Anyone in this area who hasn't seen it yet & wants to go pm me:flower:

Caro
17th-April-2006, 07:52 PM

:yeah: way to 'americanised' for me, you just can't buy that many totally irrealistic things!!! I bet the real story on which it is based is far more interesting... shame they have to turn it into this irrealistic and cheesy cr@p to make it a successful movie.
dance scenes make it worth viewing though... I really, really loved the tango scene at the end :drool:

Gladrags
17th-April-2006, 10:26 PM
Saw the movie this afternoon. Antonio Banderas carried the movie from a plot point of view, but no surprises there.

Some of the dancing was sensational, the actress playing Morgan seemed to be the best of them. The scene when she was practicing with her partner in the dance studio looked amazingly sexy to me. The flying kick move was unbelievable too.

But filled up with american schmultz. And all too unbelievable in the supposed time frame the film was portrayed in. A lot of substance not handled too well. It could have easily been half an hour longer and benefited from the extra time in story development.

The big positive, it did make me wanna dance, and I'm sure I'll pick up the DVD on release.

Lynn
17th-April-2006, 11:43 PM
Haven't been to see it yet - but basically its not a great film from point of view of plot and story development, but worth seeing for the dancing? That'll do for me.

Tiggerbabe
17th-April-2006, 11:53 PM
but worth seeing for the dancing? That'll do for me.
Me too :wink: and Antonio :drool:

Dirty D
17th-April-2006, 11:56 PM
This is probably a movie I shouldnt go see - might give me ideas! Hey Dirty D!:innocent:
Can they release a film called, "Don't take the lead" for MsFab.

Yliander
18th-April-2006, 12:36 AM
I went to see it on Friday with a few dancer friends. Really enjoyed the dancing and the music. I wrote some more on my blog (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/04/17/take-the-lead/).

Question is... Is that really Antonio Banderas dancing the Tango? (I can't say I was watching him much at the time... :D)according to the website Antonia Banderas learnt the Tango routine that is done to get the kids attention - the one you see bits of in the trailer - haven't got to see it yet :(

Rhythm King
18th-April-2006, 12:59 AM
:yeah: :devil: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

killingtime
18th-April-2006, 10:41 AM
Haven't been to see it yet - but basically its not a great film from point of view of plot and story development, but worth seeing for the dancing?

I felt there wasn't enough dancing (but then I went to see the dancing not this "plot" thing that people speak of) but some of the dance scenes were wonderful to watch (the Morgan one was good but the Tango scene at the end was fab :drool:).

I think it's a good film but nothing more than that.

Donna
18th-April-2006, 11:13 AM
Went to see it on Friday night!! Not as good as I expected. There really wasn't that much dancing going on! :rolleyes: Quite disappointed... :sad:

Tessalicious
18th-April-2006, 02:15 PM
Saw this at the weekend, and enjoyed it - I love seeing a variety of styles of dancing done with different attitudes, so the combination of ballroom with hip-hop really appealed to me. Plus, Antonio can come dance with me anytime he likes!

However, I was also a little disappointed by the vast difference between what I would call a rumba, or salsa, and what the kids were being 'taught' - surely it can't really be that different from what we are taught over here? And 'tango and milonga' being different dances :rolleyes: ?

On the other hand, that was some hot double-trouble :drool: (oh, to be fought over like that - the lucky girl :green-eyed smiley: ).

Baruch
18th-April-2006, 02:21 PM
And 'tango and milonga' being different dances :rolleyes: ?Maybe Antonio's been watching Strictly Dance Fever? :wink:

Lee
18th-April-2006, 02:25 PM

What was all that about, very disappointing :sad: :(

Lee

Lynn
18th-April-2006, 02:29 PM
And 'tango and milonga' being different dances :rolleyes: ?Aren't they? :confused:

Tessalicious
18th-April-2006, 02:34 PM
Aren't they? :confused:I stand corrected - I was under the impression that 'milonga' just meant the place where you tango, and the freestyle part of a tango evening, rather than also being a separate dance in its own right. Sorry :blush:

Lynn
18th-April-2006, 02:38 PM
I stand corrected - I was under the impression that 'milonga' just meant the place where you tango, and the freestyle part of a tango evening, rather than also being a separate dance in its own right. Yes, it means that as well, so I'm sure its a common mistake.

But then I'm sure lots of people get confused as well by the range of different dances someone can mean when they say 'jive'...:rolleyes:

Donna
18th-April-2006, 03:34 PM
On the other hand, that was some hot double-trouble :drool: (oh, to be fought over like that - the lucky girl :green-eyed smiley: ).

That was the best part of the film!:drool:

Donna
18th-April-2006, 03:37 PM
I must say that the best part of the film was when that girl was dancing with two men :drool: :waycool: Oh yeah, and I should add that the performance Antonio and that blond girl did together was absoolutely seeensaaational!! I'd give my right arm to dance like that!! On second thoughts, if I did that, I wouldn't dance at all! :rofl:

Lory
19th-April-2006, 08:05 AM
I went to see it with my kids yesterday and we all enjoyed it. :grin:

Ok, it's not the greatest film ever but it had something for us all in it.

I thought it was basically the same story line as 'Sister Act' (great film) but with dancing instead of singing.

Pure cheese but then again, I like that! :blush: :D

Donna
19th-April-2006, 11:42 AM
I thought it was basically the same story line as 'Sister Act' (great film) but with dancing instead of singing.

It was wasn't it! :yeah:

Lou
19th-April-2006, 01:16 PM

Antonio Banderas as a nun? Most excellent! :D I must see this movie!

:na:

Donna
19th-April-2006, 01:37 PM
Antonio Banderas as a nun? Most excellent! :D I must see this movie!

:na:

:rofl: Imagine it! :rofl: Nah, I much prefer him in his black suit than a nuns outfit. :rofl: He's not a bad mover, but I was expecting a lot more from him. Sometimes he looked like a pole for the girl to dance around. Maybe he's tried ceroc? :rofl:

jacksondonut
20th-April-2006, 07:54 PM
Well I am planning to go and watch it again tonight... :yeah:
I enjoyed the first time and intend to enjoy it again.. mmmm popcorn, choccies.... and some pick n mix... oh, and nearly forgot....

Antonio... :drool: :drool:

Rhythm King
21st-April-2006, 12:11 AM
I enjoyed it but it's not in the same league as say, Strictly Ballroom, for example. I felt it was a bit formulaic and the ending was too "Hollywood". I especially liked the tango scene, but the hip hop bit at the end of the ballroom comp was over the top IMHO. Some good stuff on the soundtrack, think I might get that, when it comes out. Likely to see it again, with someone else, next week.

jiveknight
21st-April-2006, 12:12 AM
Nah, I much prefer him in his black suit than a nuns outfit. :rofl:

Its just a habit he can't get out of...:blush:

Piglet
21st-April-2006, 10:10 PM
I went to see this last night and loved it.
Lots of giggles and some stunning dancing.
I liked the story line too, and I now see Antonio in a different light :wink:

Msfab
26th-April-2006, 06:42 PM

Ive only just seen this post!:(
I would have to take the lead if AntonioB was dancing with me!

Did you not see the bit where he explains
Leads - its upto you to Invite
Follows - its upto you to accept/or do it your way!:devil:
See this man knows what hes talking about!

Enjoyed the film, a little short i thought and could of done with a bit more dancing.

Donna
27th-April-2006, 02:50 PM

:yeah: Yeah I remember him saying this too, to which I turned around and gave Steve an evil smirk!! :devil: Ha ha!

Vicky
27th-April-2006, 02:56 PM

Enjoyed the film, a little short i thought and could of done with a bit more dancing.

i agree i went to see it last night. i thought it was amazing but it reminded me of save the last dance a lot!
the dancing was fantastic and i was sitting thinking i know that move :clap:

Donna
27th-April-2006, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Vicky] i agree i went to see it last night. i thought it was amazing but it reminded me of save the last dance a lot![QUOTE]

:yeah: That's what I said before. A lot of these dance movies are the same.

Vicky
27th-April-2006, 03:06 PM
:cheers: i know most dance movies are the same i mean take Bring it on! i know it's totally different kinda dancin but the same story lines!:flower:

Donna
27th-April-2006, 04:14 PM
:cheers: i know most dance movies are the same i mean take Bring it on! i know it's totally different kinda dancin but the same story lines!:flower:

One I would be interested to see is Brendan Cole's low budget dance movie. :rolleyes: I'm sure it has more dancing in it though.

senorita
2nd-May-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi there! I dont have time to read the whole thread, but was wondering is this worth a viewing??

:flower:

Msfab
2nd-May-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi there! I dont have time to read the whole thread, but was wondering is this worth a viewing??

:flower:

Yes:clap:

Andreas
2nd-May-2006, 12:26 PM
However, I was also a little disappointed by the vast difference between what I would call a rumba, or salsa, and what the kids were being 'taught' - surely it can't really be that different from what we are taught over here? And 'tango and milonga' being different dances :rolleyes: ?

I haven't seen it but can imagine that the Rumba they taught may have been Cuban Rumba, which is VERY different to a ballroom Rumba. As for Tango and Milonga, I did a few workshops way back with Carlos Rivalera and he did teach quite some different stuff for Milonga than for general AT.

Andreas
2nd-May-2006, 12:44 PM

Did you also see the part where he did NOT say 'if you decide to decline the invitation try and invite yourself'? :yum:

drathzel
19th-May-2007, 01:10 AM
I just watched this on dvd and wasnt impressed. I watched the whole thing and really had too much going on but nothing in depth to sink your teeth into. And way not enough dancing.

And dont you just want to b1tch slap morgaine!

spindr
19th-May-2007, 01:35 AM
I just watched this on dvd and wasnt impressed. I watched the whole thing and really had too much going on but nothing in depth to sink your teeth into. And way not enough dancing.

And dont you just want to b1tch slap morgaine!
It's harmless tosh -- though it is an appalling Hollywood interpretation of Pierre Dulaine's classes that's shown much better in the "Red Hot Ballroom" documentary.

SpinDr

P.S. Don't bother buying the "Take The Lead" soundtrack unless you only want the hip-hop numbers :(

drathzel
19th-May-2007, 01:38 AM
It's harmless tosh -- though it is an appalling Hollywood interpretation of Pierre Dulaine's classes that's shown much better in the "Red Hot Ballroom" documentary.

SpinDr

P.S. Don't bother buying the "Take The Lead" soundtrack unless you only want the hip-hop numbers :(

I like hip hop which is why i thought i would like the movie.

Harmless.... check
2 hrs of my life i wont get back..... check

i may look up the other doco tho!

Rhythm King
19th-May-2007, 07:06 AM
You could try the Japanese original, which is charming. Needless to say the soundtrack to the American version was disappointing :sad:

I have just bought Patrick Swayze's new film, made with his wife, about a ballet school in New York. It's called "One Last Dance". Haven't watched it yet, but will report back when I have.