PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Scotland?

Jive Brummie
6th-April-2006, 11:43 PM
Now I know this is the Ceroc Scotland Forum but I want an honest answer if that's ok, however hard it is to swallow.

Melanie and I are pushed for time...big style. Despite the fact we live together and are getting married this year:clap: , we don't see that much of each other due to work commitments and stuff like that...

So every now and then when we go dancing we try to make it a great night. Which means we want to spend our money on a good night, not a crap one.

So then people of Scotland (Scotland only I'm afraid southern types!), where is a really good night out dancing?

I don't care if it's Ceroc, Leroc, Salsa, Ballroom, WCS...anything. I couldn't give a chuff, I just want our time out dancing to be quality. We've spent too much money on going to mediocre events and parties (In Our Opinion) and so don't want to waste anymore time or money on them...give us the quality!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

JB.

p.s. staying at home and dancing with each other is not an option.

Gadget
6th-April-2006, 11:50 PM
Depends on what you want out of an evening and what you consider "good"/"quality". :shrug:
Does the venue/event/party really matter when you're spending time dancing with the woman of your life?

Jive Brummie
7th-April-2006, 12:02 AM
Depends on what you want out of an evening and what you consider "good"/"quality". :shrug:
Does the venue/event/party really matter when you're spending time dancing with the woman of your life?

err...yeah:confused:

I don't want to dance with woman of my life to utter cack music in a pants venue...sorry but that doesn't float my boat.

I'll help you out. I like music that's a bit challenging, I like a decent venue with a good floor, (nothing sticky, i.e. Jumpin Jacks!), somewhere that attracts a good cross section of dancers and a place that has late opening...

However Southport isn't on every weekend and if it was it'd be a bit pricey to get there.

Thanks for your help though:whistle:

Tell you what, why don't you tell me where you like dancing and why? Nothing too flowery mind, I don't much care about the hippy rubbish about how we all connect with certain women because it's like dancing on the moon or whatever else we sometimes come out with...

Just give me the places that have got an ounce of atmoshpere.

I'll help you out again...

Salsa - Edinburgh - El Barrio. Never been but it's s'posed to be fantastic. I can't even do salsa, but on reflection it might be a better overall night out than other places up here.

Gadget
7th-April-2006, 12:51 AM
Sorry; can't help too much :flower: - I have a sort of insular view of venues & parties :tears:

Little Em
7th-April-2006, 07:37 AM
James,

I will find out and let you know fairly soon.....:wink:

ducasi
7th-April-2006, 07:47 AM
I like music that's a bit challenging, I like a decent venue with a good floor, (nothing sticky, i.e. Jumpin Jacks!), somewhere that attracts a good cross section of dancers and a place that has late opening... What kind of music do you find challenging?

I find the music "challenging" at Route 66, and I expect it will be also at Red Hot and Blue. But I find some of the music played at regular Ceroc nights around Glasgow also challenging, but maybe in a different way.

The floor in Jumpin' Jacks in Glasgow isn't sticky – one of my partners slipped and fell on it back on Tuesday there... It's also open late, though you may find there's fewer dancers to dance with after about 11. Plus late nights in Glasgow on a Tuesday probably aren't ideal for you...

The new format of the Glasgow party looks like it'll be a success. Lots of good dancers, a mainstream room, and a latin/blues room...

It's difficult to give any particular recommendation though. There's lots of Salsa all over Scotland. Maybe you stand a better chance of finding what you're looking for there.

SteveB
7th-April-2006, 05:22 PM
Now I know this is the Ceroc Scotland Forum but I want an honest answer if that's ok, however hard it is to swallow.

Melanie and I are pushed for time...big style. Despite the fact we live together and are getting married this year:clap: , we don't see that much of each other due to work commitments and stuff like that...

So every now and then when we go dancing we try to make it a great night. Which means we want to spend our money on a good night, not a crap one.

So then people of Scotland (Scotland only I'm afraid southern types!), where is a really good night out dancing?

I don't care if it's Ceroc, Leroc, Salsa, Ballroom, WCS...anything. I couldn't give a chuff, I just want our time out dancing to be quality. We've spent too much money on going to mediocre events and parties (In Our Opinion) and so don't want to waste anymore time or money on them...give us the quality!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

JB.

In Dundee James.............
Fat Sams mate, London, Yuppies, or Mardi Gras....err.....maybe Private eyes.......:wink:

Just a bit of fun!

Burge...:cheers:

The Passion Harem
7th-April-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi,

You either love or hate it. I love it.

Go to a Brunch, feel the atmosphere and see some wonderful dancing. Come on a Sunday for the free class at 6 and dance till 11 for £3. Go on a Tuesday (Counting House) and Thursday (The Merlin in Morningside) and dance for £3.

It is a wonderful dance, so expressive and emotional.

http://www.edinburghtango.org.uk/tango/tangomain.php

http://www.rumbosdetango.com/

See you at Mama Mortons tomorrow night. Enjoyed it last month. Please keep the Cheese and Onion crisps away from Mel, at least till I get a dance.

Heading to Red Hot & Blue tonight.....the best monthly event in Edinburgh. Route66 a close second.

Glasgow is good with the Blues Room....thank you Franck

SteveB
8th-April-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey James, Perth weekender - Dance fever in a few weeks' time, Mama Mortons tonight! :)

drathzel
9th-April-2006, 11:04 PM

What if we inserted naked in that sentece, is that an option now?:D

i know what you mean though,i dance only in my own venues at the minute, sometime i want to go out and dance with other people to, variety is the spice of life an all that!:hug:

Dreadful Scathe
10th-April-2006, 01:56 PM
Get to Falkirk. The lot of you :)

Jive Brummie
12th-April-2006, 08:49 PM
Woohoo...FC & I have the possibility of having a full weekend out...v.soon.

And as it turns out we have a couple of options:clap: .

Do we go to a local weekend event that is offering bed, breakfast, evening meal plus dancing and lessons from various different teachers, as well as parties...

or... (option No.2)

Do we go to a local-ish weekend event that is offering the above but without the accommodation, meals and teachers (plural)?

Obviously money is a factor. The top one is a bit more but sounds like it'll be 'more-bang-for-our-buck'.

Forumites of Scotland...please help.

JB x x

Lindsay
14th-April-2006, 09:15 PM
mmmm... let me think now....

:flower:

just 2 rooms left this end (one with jacuzzi, his'n'her's massage and mirrored ceiling).
lots of bangs for your buck.

Jive Brummie
14th-April-2006, 10:26 PM
mmmm... let me think now....

just 2 rooms left this end (one with jacuzzi, his'n'her's massage and mirrored ceiling).
lots of bangs for your buck.

:rofl:

Jive Brummie
19th-April-2006, 08:38 PM
Right I know there's quite a lot on in sunny Scotland over the next few days/weeks....

Besides all the regular Ceroc classes and parties...

Lindsay's Perth Weekender. (Sounds good)

A new Wednesday night in Dundee? (Sounds interesting as the venue is only two minutes down the road from me)

And can some one let me know when the next Mama Mortons is on as Melanie and I were away for the last one?

Anybody from Scotland got anything else to add...(you're all so quiet up here, speak up, don't be scared. Ta.)

JBx x

Crossa
20th-April-2006, 12:57 AM
Anybody from Scotland got anything else to add...(you're all so quiet up here, speak up, don't be scared. Ta.)

JBx x

You might wanna check this out!
http://www.enex.net/fiesta/

ducasi
20th-April-2006, 01:06 AM
From my diary...

This month...

Route 66 on Friday; Franck's Focus workshop and tea-dance in Glasgow on Sunday; Ceroc Edinburgh party on the 29th.

May...

Glasgow Leroc party on the 6th, then the BFG the weekend after.

Route 66 on the 19th, Mama Morton's on the 20th.

I think DanceDemon is planning another Red Hot and Blue in early May too.

Dance Demon
20th-April-2006, 04:14 PM
I think DanceDemon is planning another Red Hot and Blue in early May too.

He sure is :D .....venue for one night only on Friday 5th May is the Terrace Bar in the Edinburgh Students Union in Teviot house, Bristo square......usual blend of Luscious Latin, Smooth Jazz, cool blues, and a wee bit tasty tango.:waycool:
Hopefully I'll have a new permanent venue sorted by June:cheers:

Jive Brummie
20th-April-2006, 10:37 PM
Thankyou chaps,

that's much better.

JB.

est101
21st-April-2006, 12:44 AM
Thankyou chaps,

that's much better.

JB.

Ok i need your help!
At the moment i live in Edinburgh and go to Marcos for ceroc on a Monday,Tuesday and Thursday night .. how do i find out about other classes in Edinburgh? Can anyone give me info about places they go?
Thanks in advance! :grin:

Est xx

Dance Demon
21st-April-2006, 08:09 AM
You could come along to Route 66 tonight. No Classes, just 5 hours of freestyle dancing. There's also west Coast swing classes on a Wednesday night at the Kirk o' Field halls on the Pleasance, tought by Lindsay & Brady. There's Lindy Clases on a Tuesday night at the Bongo club, tought by gary & susan of flyright, and sometimes Lee & Seema Paterson. Theres also Lindy classes in the Calton Centre on Montgomery Street on Thursday nights with Edinburgh Swing dance Society.......So plenty dancing to be had most nights of the week in Edinburgh.

est101
21st-April-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that!
Really helpful .. and who knows, if your there then i might see you at route 66?
What time does it start and finish?
Where do you spend most of your time dancing??
Est x

Heather
22nd-April-2006, 08:52 AM
And can some one let me know when the next Mama Mortons is on as Melanie and I were away for the last one?

JBx x

The next date for Mama Morton's is the 20th May in the Millennium Hall, Birkhill. Thought I'd better mention that in case crowds of people turn up and cause a riot at the Friary!!:rofl:
Be great to see you both there, especially as I know it's difficult for Melanie to get weekend time off, now she's promoted to Manageress of the Hotel's new Restaurant!!! :clap: (Congratulations Melanie - a great acknowledgement of your hard work and dedication!)
:hug:
Heather

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2007, 11:15 AM
are there permanent WCS classes in Scotland now ? I ask this seriously and genuinely and not with any underhand advertising motive. Is Graham Fox doing any ? Is the new route66 still going on in Stirling?

ducasi
24th-July-2007, 12:55 PM
are there permanent WCS classes in Scotland now ? I ask this seriously and genuinely and not with any underhand advertising motive. Is Graham Fox doing any ? Is the new route66 still going on in Stirling?
Graham Fox teaches WCS in Glasgow every Wednesday. His Uddingston class on Mondays closes for summer.

I believe there are a few other regular(-ish?) WCS classes around Scotland.

As for Route 66, it appears to still be running in Stirling – the web site says the next event in on the 21st September.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2007, 01:15 PM
September ? ...regular then is it ? :)

Uddingston...used to work there, actually quite easy to get to from Falkirk, but Edinburgh is easier for us (babysitters) best stick with LB's ;)