PDA

View Full Version : Launch of online MJ Magazine

Gus
5th-April-2006, 03:40 PM
First of all I would like to thank all those who contributes to the "Reporting the darker ..... " thread. The team working with me to develop the new e-mag had differing views as to the policy the Mag should take with regards traditional journalistic type reporting. My original intend was to focusing on presenting the real world to the general masses. From the reaction recieved at this point, that policy has been reversed.:( The four stories we were investigating have been put on ice, maybe to be resurrected at a later date, maybe not.

So .... whats it all about? Well, below is the press release that has gone to the main organsiations and mailists for distribution.

Monday 3rd April saw the launch of the First online Magazine for the Modern Jive (MJ) Community. On8 is an independent magazine looking to bring informed opinions, advice, news and fun to the grass roots dancer. Using the latest blogging software, the site (On8.co.uk) is searchable to allow both current and past articles to be located and either read online or easily printed off.

The main content will be;

‘Guru' articles – contributions from experienced and respected member of the MJ community
News – breaking trends, changes with organisations
DJ – playlists, advice on technique and kit
Place in Time – memories of events and incidents from the past
Interviews – introducing you to the well known and the not-so well known characters on the scene
Fashion – photos of what being worn on the dance floors, advice on shoes etc.
Reference – background on MJ and related dances, links to moves and event sites
Fun – debasing the latest wild rumours, non-dance links

The Theme of the opening edition is ‘West Coast Swing and Modern Jive’. For May the theme will be ‘Weekenders’. In future editions we are looking to cover; Competitions, Blues Dancing and DJing. Lead articles and interviews are updated on a monthly basis. Other sections will be added to throughout the month as material becomes available. Readers can be advised of what comntent has been added twice a month by signing up to the mail list at UK-Jive.co.uk for On8.not yet live

The April issue is a prototype. We recognise that it will take time to grow the magazine by a gradual process of increasing the number of contributors and articles. Over the next six months or so we will be refining the format and content. As this is very much a community magazine we are looking for dancers over the UK to contact us to becoming roving reporters, letting us know of the latest news, fashion and music across the UK.

I hope you enjoy it. I would like to that all the people who have offered to contribute and a special thanks to Franck for kindly allowing me this one off opportuntity to promote the magazine. The rest is up to you, the general public. If the interest is there, the magazine will gror in readership, articles and value ... if not in 6 months time it will go the same way as many great ideas that were ahead of its time ... like the C5 ;) :whistle:

under par
5th-April-2006, 04:07 PM
I hope you enjoy it. I would like to that all the people who have offered to contribute and a special thanks to Franck for kindly allowing me this one off opportuntity to promote the magazine. The rest is up to you, the general public.

;) :whistle:

Good luck with the venture Gus.:cheers: :cheers:

Minnie M
5th-April-2006, 04:46 PM
:yeah: There's a link from my web page

killingtime
5th-April-2006, 04:53 PM
Subscribed to the RSS feed and I look forward to reading more. You have the RSS feed set to full article which is nice for me (as I don't actually need to, if I don't want to, move out of the RSS reader) but if you were thinking of any advertising then you'd want to change this.

Dizzy
5th-April-2006, 05:26 PM
Good luck with the magazine Gus :flower:

I shall certainly read with interest :grin:

tsh
5th-April-2006, 06:32 PM
Is the intention that people discuss the articles on the blog? If so, it's not obvious how to generate a login - otherwise the 'comment' stuff is a little spurious.

Chicklet
5th-April-2006, 06:33 PM
couldn't figure out how to put a message on the site but please please, may we have a photo of the memory of the 1999 champs bringing "ears to your eyes"????????:waycool:

Andreas
5th-April-2006, 08:10 PM
:yeah: :cheers: :flower:

Jive Brummie
5th-April-2006, 09:07 PM
I like it. Most informative and offering articles that make one think a bit!

Keep up the good work mate, it can only get better the longer it goes on.

:respect:

JB & FC x x

Andreas
5th-April-2006, 09:28 PM
Just read through the articles. Nice one, Gus. Good work. :respect: :respect:

latinlover
5th-April-2006, 10:35 PM
:respect: best of luck with this Gus!

Gadget
5th-April-2006, 11:31 PM
Now why didn't someone think on this before ? :confused::whistle:
Forum newsletter (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4378)
Forum Articals (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4144)

Good luck on the venture - just needed someone to get off their butts and do it. :waycool:

Anyone a good cartoonist? Any magazine worth it's salt has to have at least one cartoon in it. :D

Gus
6th-April-2006, 08:12 AM
Is the intention that people discuss the articles on the blog? If so, it's not obvious how to generate a login - otherwise the 'comment' stuff is a little spurious.Jury stil out on this one. Given the structure, if too many viewewrs commented i think it might distarct from the original article. Still getting to grips with the software itslef. Looks like you need to set-up a blogg of your nown to get an account then get me to allocate you comments right :confused: :confused: seems far too complex.

I think what I imagine happening is that if someone sees an article or comment that they want to comment on they would probably post it on the Forum and the debate to take place there ... would seem that a symbiotic relationship is the bets way forward, each concept playing to its own strenghts. Does that sound like a good or bad idea? If is sounds like that could fly then when I get round to wriring the 'How to Use' section I will suggest that as a way forward.
That should increase the traffic to both sites one would hope.

Gus
6th-April-2006, 08:19 AM
Subscribed to the RSS feed and I look forward to reading more. You have the RSS feed set to full article which is nice for me (as I don't actually need to, if I don't want to, move out of the RSS reader) but if you were thinking of any advertising then you'd want to change this.RSS:confused: :confused: Sorry but I'm new to this concept. Wordpress was recommended as the most complete blogging software, but my techo-geek is not yet on board so we are still in the developmental state. We decided to live with a Beta site as we expect the site to develop in response to feedback over the first 4 or 5 months. One we think we have the core site licked we will either invets serious time in fully exploiting the Wordpress software or we will get a professional web site build to spec.

To be honest, its been a bit of a struggle to meet our target launch date. My sub-editor has been tied up with 'real world' work for the last 2 weeks, and after 6 months after a new conract, suddenly landed a major contract in Liverpool so have 3 weeks to get all the work I was doing with the family business finished as well as running 2 dance workshops by the end of the month :tears: Thats my excuse for the Pink Martini review still being only 70% finished. I hope to get my finger out and publish that this weekend and get some of the reference postings published (hope springs eternal).

At this piont there is no intention to host advertising, though we will add a links page in adiditon to the key links on the front page. If you could PM me with recoomendation to develop the RSS capabilty, that would be very much appreciated.

Gus
6th-April-2006, 08:22 AM
couldn't figure out how to put a message on the site but please please, may we have a photo of the memory of the 1999 champs bringing "ears to your eyes"????????:waycool:Hey ... it wouldn't be a Gus Enterprises venture with the occasional typo :whistle:

Gus
6th-April-2006, 08:23 AM
Just read through the articles. Nice one, Gus. Good work. :respect: :respect:Ahhh ... true respect to the excellent bunch of contributors. More is to follow ... if I can prise the copy out of their clutching palms!!

senorita
6th-April-2006, 08:30 AM
GOOD LUCK!! :respect: :flower:

Gadget
6th-April-2006, 01:08 PM
I think what I imagine happening is that if someone sees an article or comment that they want to comment on they would probably post it on the Forum and the debate to take place there ... would seem that a symbiotic relationship is the bets way forward, each concept playing to its own strenghts. Does that sound like a good or bad idea?
:respect:That was the one main thing I thought on: there is no opportunity to discuss the articals; and if you inserted one, then it's not really that much different from this forum.

I also noticed (or failed to notice) the inclusion of a link from that page to here.

I know that the "Blog" style is to have stuff ontop of stuff ontop of stuff. Personally I prefer to see a tree system; a good navigation with the ends of each branch (ie an artical) having a page devoted to them.

I also found the text to only be of interest if you were interested in the text - no pictures, no formatting to highlight areas or break it up a bit,... just a chunk of text. For a magazine (on-line or not) I would expect the layout of text would be nicer.

Are you not also contributing an "editorial"? :D

killingtime
6th-April-2006, 01:35 PM
I also found the text to only be of interest if you were interested in the text - no pictures, no formatting to highlight areas or break it up a bit,... just a chunk of text. For a magazine (on-line or not) I would expect the layout of text would be nicer.

Agreed. I didn't comment on this as it looks like they are just getting started and are using the default Wordpress layout at the moment. Some images (even if they aren't entirely relevant to the text) are good for breaking things up. Having a summary of the article on the main page and a link to the full article is nice too (especially where the articles tend to be longer than what a blog generally has).

Just of the top of my head I've liked A List Apart (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/)'s layout (it uses blog software though not Wordpress). It has nothing to do with dancing though.

Donna
6th-April-2006, 02:24 PM
GOOD LUCK!! :respect: :flower:

:yeah: This is a great idea! Good luck!

Gadget
6th-April-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh, meant to say - it's a MJ magazine, yes? Then why is one of the very first articals about WCS? It's not as if there is a shortage of true MJ topics you could choose from.

(...and it seems to not be about WCS at the same time:confused: It mentions WCS a lot, but then says things like "... this will improve your dancing in general..." - IMHO it says a lot without really saying anything about WCS - perhaps I'm just being a bit cynical.)

Andreas
6th-April-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh, meant to say - it's a MJ magazine, yes? Then why is one of the very first articals about WCS?
I'd call it educating the audience. ;)

A lot of Mj's have heard about WCS, people raving about it, others slagging it off, you name it. So it is a very good thing to have a reasonbly comprehensive article on it to describe the basis of the dance. Otherwise everybody would just stab in the dark when talking about it. I can't see this being a conflict with the title of the mag. It enriches it, if anything. Why in the first release? My guess is as good as yours but it definitely is a hot topic, so why postpone it to issue 34? :flower:

Feelingpink
6th-April-2006, 11:15 PM
Oh, meant to say - it's a MJ magazine, yes? Then why is one of the very first articals about WCS? It's not as if there is a shortage of true MJ topics you could choose from.

(...and it seems to not be about WCS at the same time:confused: It mentions WCS a lot, but then says things like "... this will improve your dancing in general..." - IMHO it says a lot without really saying anything about WCS - perhaps I'm just being a bit cynical.)What do you mean true MJ topics? Since I understand MJ to be a combination of different dance styles anyway, how do you define true MJ? From the two articles I read, there was one talking about how to use WCS principles in MJ and another's experience as an MJer switching to WCS. Considering the number of MJers moving across to or at least experimenting with WCS at weekenders, lessons and workshops, I thought it was extremely relevant.

One of the articles mentions a list of core WCS principles that can be used in MJ (such as lead and follow and dancing in a slot) - how much more specific (in a shortish web article) do you want this to get?

Gadget
7th-April-2006, 12:44 AM
What do you mean true MJ topics?A topic that relates to MJ, not another dance that relates to MJ. It doesn't matter that it was WCS: it could have been Tango, Flamenco, Salsa, Belly Dancing, Pole Dancing... I would still find it ironic that to write an article in a MJ magazine they had to 'review' another dance form.

Personally, I would expect articles on styling, experiences of various *special* nights, tips on various elements of the dance, some biographies and interviews, how to dance to various styles of music, useful web resources, reviews of DVDs and workshops, competitions and rule dissections, special 'named' moves, basic move breakdowns with tips from the pros, ... and I can think on hundreds more.
I admit that a 'comparison' between the various styles of dance and MJ with experiences from within it makes for some quite good copy, but personally, I would prefer to see it in a separate section since it's about looking outward from MJ instead of examining what we have already and looking inward.

Since I understand MJ to be a combination of different dance styles anyway, how do you define true MJ?That question is spawn for another article in it's self :D But it's not the point; the point is that it specifically set out not to be MJ.

From the two articles I read, there was one talking about how to use WCS principles in MJ and another's experience as an MJer switching to WCS. Considering the number of MJers moving across to or at least experimenting with WCS at weekenders, lessons and workshops, I thought it was extremely relevant.Indeed; but it didn't really say what WCS was or how it is danced or to what music. It did say that there are principles involved that can transfer and have bearing on MJ, but to me it read that WCS is just a more 'technical' form of MJ with lots of "good practices".
As an article in a MJ magazine, I would not think that encouraging the readers to 'switch to WCS' would be good practice. Especially since it could be seen as an accusatory "look how poor MJ is compared to this".

how much more specific (in a shortish web article) do you want this to get?I wasn't looking for specific techniques: everything listed I have seen/been taught through MJ. I don't see how it specifically relates to WCS and how it specifically differs from how I currently dance MJ.

While both articles give comprehensive views on their subject and the question asked, I think that it is the question that I find a fault with: it assumes that everyone knows what WCS is and has a rough idea of the factors within it that could 'influence' MJ.

A lot of Mj's have heard about WCS, people raving about it, others slagging it off, you name it. So it is a very good thing to have a reasonbly comprehensive article on it to describe the basis of the dance.I agree. It would have been. :rolleyes:
How about educating in the dance we do dance rather than encouraging folk to move away from it.

(To stir even more, the prior article ends in "The Ceroc teaching model is a good one. It works well but it will only take the more serious dancer so far. After that dear reader you are on your own." then going on to the WCS ones... I am beginning to smell a conspiracy :wink: )

Gus
7th-April-2006, 01:49 AM
(To stir even more, the prior article ends in "The Ceroc teaching model is a good one. It works well but it will only take the more serious dancer so far. After that dear reader you are on your own." then going on to the WCS ones... I am beginning to smell a conspiracy :wink: )The WCS subject was chosen as the WCS/MJ merging is flavour of the month. As mentioned in the preamble, a fair few of the BEST MJ dancers see WCS technique as a way of improving their MJ. I would say that Chris's WCS article is a superb summary of what most MJers (not just competition junkies) could assimilate from WCS. Look beyond the titles ... Chris's article gives a whole load of tips as to how to improve your MJ .... some which I need to actively take on board myself.

Other, more mainstream MJ articles are in progress, but to be frank the authors have not actualy sent me the copy yet ... which kind of makes it hard to publish:whistle: However, fear not, articles on Competitions, Weekenders and DJing are all in progress and your comments will be looked forward to.

Andreas
7th-April-2006, 07:06 AM
How about educating in the dance we do dance rather than encouraging folk to move away from it.
Do I understand you correctly that you are volunteering writing up an article for the magazine about MJ? Excellent! :respect:

Gadget
7th-April-2006, 08:06 AM
Do I understand you correctly that you are volunteering writing up an article for the magazine about MJ? Excellent! :respect:
you not think I write enough drivel here? :rolleyes:

Andreas
7th-April-2006, 09:02 AM
you not think I write enough drivel here? :rolleyes:
I think you do write some pretty good stuff every now and again. So go right ahead, I am sure Gus won't object ;)

Dreadful Scathe
7th-April-2006, 11:05 AM
I think you do write some pretty good stuff every now and again. So go right ahead, I am sure Gus won't object ;)
hmm get a spell checker then and a super quad cpu box to run it on ;)

Gus
16th-April-2006, 11:09 AM
I think you do write some pretty good stuff every now and again. So go right ahead, I am sure Gus won't object ;)OK Pal ... I hold YOU responsible:angry: Just received the submission from Gadget ... a 'rebuttal of Tribal's Guru article on the MJ teaching model. So ... do I publish it or not? :whistle:

filthycute
16th-April-2006, 11:27 AM
IMHO it says a lot without really saying .....(sarcastic add-in and not part of original quote)...anything at all!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Gadget, couldn't resist:wink:

Baruch
16th-April-2006, 04:48 PM
What's happened to On8? I've just been to the site and got a "Not Found" message.

Gus
16th-April-2006, 04:57 PM
What's happened to On8? I've just been to the site and got a "Not Found" message.GULP Dunno ... it was there when I left it this morning! Working at the family office, will have to try to log in later and see what gives.

Face, Me, Bovered ??? YES :tears: :tears:

Update It looks like the WHOLE of Wordpress is down ... and there are omminous responses from the techies about "didn't you back up you blogs"? HOW!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Urrrrr ... hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly :sick: At least I have the original files of all the posts .. but I dont really fancy going through setting up the site's structure again! Anyone suggest a better Blog site with all the functionality I need?

ducasi
16th-April-2006, 10:05 PM
Anyone suggest a better Blog site with all the functionality I need?If you have, can find, or can hire, the technical know-how, perhaps you want to consider running the wordpress software on your own domain, rather than relying on a wordpress-managed site.

Otherwise, what functionality do you need?

Baruch
17th-April-2006, 11:05 AM
Ah, looks like On8 is up and running again.

Blues Dancer
23rd-April-2006, 01:44 PM
Bring views, informed comment and news to the UK Modern Jive Community

Well, I had a look at the 'magazine'. And my impression is one of total disappointment.

It doesn't seem to do the above at all (well, with the exception of the views of the editor and his friends). Instead, it seems to seek to promote WCS over MJ, to allow for yet more self promotion, and promotion of friends, and for those with a gripe against Ceroc to exercise it.

Not what I expected, though, maybe in hindsight, I should have expected exactly that.

Minnie M
23rd-April-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, I had a look at the 'magazine'. And my impression is one of total disappointment.

It doesn't seem to do the above at all (well, with the exception of the views of the editor and his friends). Instead, it seems to seek to promote WCS over MJ, to allow for yet more self promotion, and promotion of friends, and for those with a gripe against Ceroc to exercise it.

Not what I expected, though, maybe in hindsight, I should have expected exactly that.
Instead of dissing it why don't you send in an article about Blues :whistle:

Jive Brummie
23rd-April-2006, 02:57 PM
I think it's a real shame that people are negative towards On8.:tears: This is a new magazine which Gus is trying to produce for the benefit and enjoyment of it's readers. I think the man should be applauded for getting off his butt and doing something about the subject of which he is so passionate about.

From what I can gather it is at it's infancy and so can only get better. Let's face it nothing you buy is currently perfect...if it was...wouldn't Microsoft have dissapeared ages ago instead of coming up with new 'you can't live without this' software etc etc?

Just a thought.

JB x x

Minnie M
23rd-April-2006, 02:59 PM
I think it's a real shame that people are negative towards On8.:tears: This is a new magazine which Gus is trying to produce for the benefit and enjoyment of it's readers. I think the man should be applauded for getting off his butt and doing something about the subject of which he is so passionate about.

From what I can gather it is at it's infancy and so can only get better. Let's face it nothing you buy is currently perfect...if it was...wouldn't Microsoft have dissapeared ages ago instead of coming up with new 'you can't live without this' software etc etc?

Just a thought.

JB x x
:yeah: :flower: :yeah:

Gus
23rd-April-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, I had a look at the 'magazine'. And my impression is one of total disappointment.One is entitled to ones opinion Sir.

It doesn't seem to do the above at all (well, with the exception of the views of the editor and his friends). Instead, it seems to seek to promote WCS over MJ, to allow for yet more self promotion, and promotion of friends, and for those with a gripe against Ceroc to exercise it. Hmmm ..I may beg to differ on a few of these points.

"Views of Editor and Friends" Yup, some of the contributors may be friends of mine ... but they also happen to be well respected in the dance world and have a point of view and expertise that some people are willing to listen to. for myslef, I may not be a 'Guru' but I've 10 years experience as a DJ, dancer and organiser and 6 years as a teacher and franchisee (for both Ceroc and Blitz). May have something to share???

"seek to promote WCS over MJ" .. suggest that next time you actualy read the articles rather than just looking at the pictures.

"those with a gripe against Ceroc" ... whoa boy .. of the three Gurus, two of them are actualy employed by Ceroc(tm). None of the Gurus have a problems with Ceroc ... if you can find anything in the magazine that has a real go at Ceroc please advise. I've made sure that Ceroc HQ have known exactly what I've been doing.

Not what I expected, though, maybe in hindsight, I should have expected exactly that.Come on Pal. you don't have an issue with On8 ... you have an issue with me. Why can't you grow up and PM me with any of your concerns.

I'll be the first to admit that On8 is less than perfect ... its got a LONG way to go ... but its a start. It'll be a few months yet before we have a broad enough base of contributors that will allow us to represent a wide spectrum of views. And that will take time, though the imminent publishing of Gadget's sumission (:eek: ) will obviously be a significant step forward ..... and Nicky Haslam's contribution will also be well received.

Its sad that BD couldn't have expressed his dissatisfaction in a more usefull way... I appreciate honest feedback, if its something we can act upon. Unfortunately, BD comes across as just another of those saddos who hasn't contributed anything to dance (and I'm happy to be corrected) yet is quite happy to slag off those who are trying to.

Gadget
23rd-April-2006, 09:30 PM
"seek to promote WCS over MJ" .. suggest that next time you actualy read the articles rather than just looking at the pictures.What pictures? :whistle: :rolleyes: Isn't that roughly my first impression?

"those with a gripe against Ceroc" ... whoa boy .. of the three Gurus, two of them are actualy employed by Ceroc(tm).But they were not the ones to whom BD was referring. {the ceroc ones were promoting WCS :rolleyes:}

Come on Pal. you don't have an issue with On8 ... you have an issue with me. Why can't you grow up and PM me with any of your concerns. When you are editor-in-cheif, you are the one responsible for the content. If the content appears bias or opinions towards X/Y/Z are given more airing than A/B/C, then it does not matter whether it's On8 or You; they are one in the same.

The fact that there will be more "gossip"/"issues" with Ceroc is more a reflection on Ceroc's dominance in the market than anything else.

...though the imminent publishing of Gadget's sumission (:eek: ) will obviously be a significant step forward:rofl::rofl: you think ? :rofl:

Unfortunately, BD comes across as someone who hasn't contributed anything to dance, yet is quite happy to slag off those who are trying to.I think that he has expressed his opinion on the magazine like you invited everyone to do. :respect: Just because his opinions were negative does not mean that he has not raised some good points that you can address. Indeed, you argued and addressed each point - so you cannot then accuse him of not being constructive in his critique.

Dance Demon
23rd-April-2006, 09:41 PM
How do you get on to on8 to read it ?:cheers:

Jive Brummie
23rd-April-2006, 09:42 PM
I guess your comments are fair enough but I have always wondered why folk so often are willing to criticise yet are not overly eager in offering a solution to their gripe:confused: .

It just baffles me. At least you Gadget are more than happy to give your opinion, but to say that something is dissapointing knowing that it's new and fresh and is trying so hard to make a name for itself, and then not assisting by even giving some constructive feedback, smacks of jumping on the bandwagon...well, it does to me anyway...

JB x x

under par
23rd-April-2006, 09:51 PM
How do you get on to on8 to read it ?:cheers:

On8 is an independent magazine looking to bring informed opinions, advice, news and fun to the grass roots dancer. Using the latest blogging software, the site (On8.co.uk) is searchable to allow both current and past articles to be located and either read online or easily printed off.

from earlier in the thread DD

Dance Demon
23rd-April-2006, 09:53 PM
Cheers UP...:blush:

Gus
24th-April-2006, 08:02 AM
But they were not the ones to whom BD was referring. {the ceroc ones were promoting WCS :rolleyes:} I would have said rather than promoting WCS per se, they were promoting WCS techniques that can be applied to Modern Jive. Fair comment?

When you are editor-in-cheif, you are the one responsible for the content. If the content appears bias or opinions towards X/Y/Z are given more airing than A/B/C, then it does not matter whether it's On8 or You; they are one in the same. As an Editor you have to take a different stance to your feelings as an individual dancer. Some articles do and will contain content I don't personally agree with (like some of yours :wink: ). HOWEVER, as long as the articles aren't factualy wrong or likely to cause too much offence, they are good to go.

The first edition was intended to be WCS based, the second edition focusing on Competitions and the third on Weekenders. Due to poor response from some of the targetted sources this policy is being modified so, for the present at least, there won't be a 'theme per month'. I would have loved more Ceroc(tm) content, but due to other projects, Ceroc have declined the opportuntity to contribute at this point but have not ruled out involvement in the future ... which is fair enough.

I think that he has expressed his opinion on the magazine like you invited everyone to do. :respect: Just because his opinions were negative does not mean that he has not raised some good points that you can address. Indeed, you argued and addressed each point - so you cannot then accuse him of not being constructive in his critique.I wasn't arguing about the critisim but the manner in which it was done. Having taken a more relaxed look at the comments I can see how the magazine could be interpreted as having a narrow focus .... well, its only just come out and we've only published 6 or so articles. Wait till we've managed to get the ball rolling before lambasting. Having said that, all feedback, even BDs is welcome.:flower:

Dance Demon
24th-April-2006, 08:29 AM
It's not as if there is a shortage of true MJ topics you could choose from.

So what's your definition of "true" modern jive then Gadget? If you watch people dancing at any Ceroc/Leroc/Blitz/etc etc night, you will see people incorporate Mambo/salsa steps, triple steps, various types of kicks, dancing in a slot...into their dance. The article was trying to highlight the effect that WCS is having on MJ, just as salsa, Lindy, and various other "true" dance styles have had on MJ in the past. MJ is very much a hybrid dance, which is why it is so versatile and you can dance it to almost any kind of music.

El Salsero Gringo
24th-April-2006, 09:14 AM
BD comes across as just another of those saddos who hasn't contributed anything to dance (and I'm happy to be corrected) yet is quite happy to slag off those who are trying to.I'm not sure that having a slag back is the best approach for a magazine editor to take towards his readership - even the critical ones. At least the guy's taken the trouble to look at the magazine!

Nice idea though, Gus (the magazine, that is) - I hope it takes off for you.

spindr
24th-April-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure that having a slag back is the best approach for a magazine editor to take towards his readership - even the critical ones. At least the guy's taken the trouble to look at the magazine!
Isn't that what editorials are for?

I must admit I was a trifle disappointed in the "magazine" given the hype in the announcement -- it doesn't have the slick glossy feel I was expecting -- it feels more like an on-line mimeographed fanzine. I think it's a little more accurate to call it a blog.

Plus, I think that the editor missed a bit of an opportunity :)
Given that piece A is extolling the virtues of WCS and piece B is looking at the Ceroc teaching model -- it would have been interesting to see something considering whether the WCS teaching model (small classes, typically at the same level, in the round, with very technical teaching) when applied to teaching MJ might achieve increased competence in the students. And of course, whether say the Ceroc model might help WCS to break out of its current limited (though passionate) minority.

SpinDr

Gus
24th-April-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure that having a slag back is the best approach for a magazine editor to take towards his readership - even the critical ones. At least the guy's taken the trouble to look at the magazine!:blush: :blush: Yeah ... fair cop. Must remember to have coffee FIRST, hit the send key LATER.

Methinks that I may need to have a more 'considered' approach to dealing with the readership ... all 3 of them.

Gus
24th-April-2006, 10:28 AM
I must admit I was a trifle disappointed in the "magazine" given the hype in the announcement -- it doesn't have the slick glossy feel I was expecting -- it feels more like an on-line mimeographed fanzine. I think it's a little more accurate to call it a blog.
Think I didn't do a good job of managing expectation. Its going to be a slow burn to get to critical mass. The nearest model I've got is 'Line Dancing' magazine but that will take at least a year to get near (and then hopefully exceed). The key thing that is missing at the moment is people who are willing to actualy contribute insightfull articles ... but its getting there (and so is Xmas).:cool:

Plus, I think that the editor missed a bit of an opportunity :)
Given that piece A is extolling the virtues of WCS and piece B is looking at the Ceroc teaching model -- it would have been interesting to see something considering whether the WCS teaching model (small classes, typically at the same level, in the round, with very technical teaching) when applied to teaching MJ might achieve increased competence in the students. And of course, whether say the Ceroc model might help WCS to break out of its current limited (though passionate) minority.Yes and no. The initial articles are there to make people think (as you have done) and then from that develop their own papers and submit them (as I hope you will :wink: ). At present, I think there has been enough focus on WCS ... I'm looking for more mainstream MJ articles, and for some contribution on the Blues and Latin cross-over. The main area I'm currently beating up people to contribute on is dance technique (whoch Chris's article was a strating point). Need a few more leading lights and dance instructors to put down their two-penneth. (Andy McG where are you :rolleyes: )

Freya
24th-April-2006, 10:35 AM
First just like to say :respect: It takes alot of courage to do something like this and even more to plug it on a forum where it is likely to come into as much critisism as it does praise!!!

The idea and set-up in general is a good one but feel that this needs alot of polish! However with hard work (I sense alot has gone into this already!) it will continue to improove!

Keep it up.

Freya xxxx

Minnie M
24th-April-2006, 06:27 PM
(Andy McG where are you :rolleyes: )
He is a 5000 poster now, so he is doing his "drama queen" thing with DavidJames up there in heaven (they think they are Gods now :rolleyes: )

TheTramp
24th-April-2006, 06:29 PM
He is a 5000 poster now, so he is doing his "drama queen" thing with DavidJames up there in heaven (they think they are Gods now :rolleyes: )

Trust me. I went through that place a while back. It wasn't really that interesting. The magazines are all months old. And the receptionist wears long skirts.

Nothing worth hanging around up there for!

Minnie M
24th-April-2006, 06:35 PM
Trust me. I went through that place a while back. It wasn't really that interesting. The magazines are all months old. And the receptionist wears long skirts.

Nothing worth hanging around up there for!
Knowing Andy he will bring his supply of skirts for the receptions to borrow :whistle: (especially that little pink number)

Sorry Gus..... I will ask Andy to submit an article, I am sure he would love to contribute :flower:

TheTramp
24th-April-2006, 06:35 PM
Knowing Andy he will bring his supply of skirts for the receptions to borrow :whistle: (especially that little pink number)

Scary, but true Minnie! :what:

Gus
1st-May-2006, 01:39 PM
though the imminent publishing of Gadget's sumission (:eek: ) will obviously be a significant step forward ....The deed is done. Gadget has now been published :tears: :tears: :wink:

Tiggerbabe
1st-May-2006, 02:22 PM
Well done Gadget, excellent article :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-May-2006, 02:51 PM
Well done Gadget, excellent article :hug:Hear hear. And the spelling's pretty good, too.

ducasi
1st-May-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, good article Gadget. :cheers:

BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier, but is this a typo, or just really bad grammar in the Pink Martini Review?

Around 2003 people starting realising that Touch and Go didn’t just do a very suggestive, and very popular, single (“Would you …?). Partly through the persistence of DJ Peter Phillips, became popular. The album remixes of “Straight to Number One” and “Would you ..”. This music was far removed ...

Gadget
1st-May-2006, 08:26 PM
:flower::blush:

...{erm, what the hell did I write now? :what:}...

Ghost
1st-May-2006, 09:19 PM
:flower::blush:

...{erm, what the hell did I write now? :what:}...
And should you get rep for it? :whistle:

Be Well,
Christopher

Gadget
1st-May-2006, 09:22 PM
nope. It's not on here and dosn't really contribute to the forum. {IMHO}

although feel free to dissagree :wink: :rofl:

Blues Dancer
2nd-May-2006, 11:57 AM
There you go. Was accused after my last post on the topic of the On8 magazine of never having anything nice to say. So, here you go...

Read Gadget's article, and was much more impressed than by the previous article on the same topic. Gadget's article was (IMHO) a balanced view of what goes on, accepting that the 'Ceroc model' has both advantages and flaws. Well done Gadget.

However, one thing that did disappoint me a little, was the introduction that he was given. I thought that it was overly negative about the qualifications of Gadget to write a response to the anonymous 'guru' (can someone please explain to me what makes a guru anyhow - and how you can possibly be taken as a guru if you're writing anonymously!). Before I started reading, I was left with the impression that I should take what Gadget had to say with a large pinch of salt. Which wasn't what I thought after I had read it.

Gadget
2nd-May-2006, 12:42 PM
However, one thing that did disappoint me a little, was the introduction that he was given. The introduction was tweaked a bit by the editors, but it was written by me to be almost a mirror of what "Tribal"'s introduction was. As a "stand alone" artical, I agree with you; but it was intended to be read in conjunction with the first one. Perhaps a bit too subtle?

Thanks for the positive feedback on the content :flower:

Freya
2nd-May-2006, 03:17 PM
:clap: Gadget fab article/response! Balanced and well thought out! :clap:

Gus
5th-May-2006, 08:56 PM
However, one thing that did disappoint me a little, was the introduction that he was given. I thought that it was overly negative about the qualifications of Gadget to write a response to the anonymous 'guru' (can someone please explain to me what makes a guru anyhow - and how you can possibly be taken as a guru if you're writing anonymously!).Always a pleasure to respond to On8's most ardent supporter!

The 'Guru' status is bestowed on members of the MJ community who have significant dance expertise. This only applies to a number of senior instructors or specialists. For example, Peter Phillips would be rated as 'just' one of the common masses if he was to write on dance competition or dancing, however he would be accorded 'Guru' status if writing on the subjects of DJing or drops.

The Guru status is decided by me :cool: Having been on the circuit long enough and knowing a fair few of the 'A list' (:whistle: ) personally, I think I'm in a good enough position to make that call.

Re being anonymous .... well some of the contributors may want to write a frank article that may not fit with their public image or may be damaging to their real world reputation. Some of the contributors teach for Ceroc and do not want their comments to mistaken as being Ceroc ordained. Does that answer your question?

Before I started reading, I was left with the impression that I should take what Gadget had to say with a large pinch of salt. Which wasn't what I thought after I had read it.Sorry you read it that way. It was merely to put things in context. I think its important for the reader to know the relative expertise of the contributors. In the same way I would expect that those ion the know would give far more credence to articles written by the likes of DavidB or Amir than they would to artciles writen by myslef or you. N'est ce pas?:flower:

Gadget has a way of expressing himslef, but at the end of the day he has no teaching expertise, no competition succes, no DJing expertise etc. He's a competent club dancer ... and thats a good thing. Thus the article was a 'Letter', an expression of an opinion, rather than an in depth artcile based on deep knowldge of the application of the Ceroc model vis a vis the many other emerging models and other dance styles..

PS: I thought it was a good article otherwise we wouldn't have published it.

Gadget
6th-May-2006, 12:42 AM
Gadget has a way of expressing himslef, but at the end of the day he has no teaching expertise, no competition succes, no DJing expertise etc. He's a competent club dancer ... and thats a good thing. Thus the article was a 'Letter', an expression of an opinion, rather than an in depth artcile based on deep knowldge of the application of the Ceroc model vis a vis the many other emerging models and other dance styles..
gee, thanks :rolleyes:

"no teaching expertise" - expertise relates to skills and ability rather than qualification or experience: I don't think you are in a position to quantify whether I have any or not. Especially since you didn't qualify it to say "dance teaching...".

"No competition success" - I expressed that I had no desire to compete, and fail to see why this has any bearing on the subject?: I only mentioned it because I was mirroring the original article.

"No DJing expertise" - See the note above re teaching. Again, I didn't mention anything about music, so I don't see the relevance in this either.

It's a very fine line to draw in the sand between experience and knowledge.

Opinions are tricky as well - every fact can be expressed as an opinion. Does this make it less factual? Every falsehood can be expressed as an opinion. Does this make it less of a lie?
An opinion is only relevant when it is backed up with statements and sources that the conclusions have been drawn from. My background, knowledge and experience only are of relevance if I choose to use them in my arguments supporting my opinion.
Personally, I would hold more respect for someone that said "do x because of y" than someone who simply said "do x because I know best".

While I agree and uphold the fact that almost everything I write is expressed as an opinion, this has no relevance on the content.... in my opinion :wink:

Gus
6th-May-2006, 04:44 PM
gee, thanks :rolleyes:

"no teaching expertise" - expertise relates to skills and ability rather than qualification or experience: I don't think you are in a position to quantify whether I have any or not. Especially since you didn't qualify it to say "dance teaching...".Apologies if you think I've dissed you.:o What I was trying to explain was the difference between a Guru and the rest of us mortals. As you said in your profile, not competed, no intention to ... no quarrel with that ... but I was trying to explain that there is a gap between your dance competences and those of the Gurus. My opinion is based on evidence of competence. When you start teaching workshops, holding seminars etc then such accolades may follow. In the mean time, you have to exist with the rest of us common masses. Fair comment?

Gadget
6th-May-2006, 08:47 PM
...In the mean time, you have to exist with the rest of us common masses. Fair comment?:D I am one of the "great unwashed" :D

Ghost
6th-May-2006, 08:58 PM
In the mean time, you have to exist with the rest of us common masses. Fair comment?
Not exactly. What if Gadget continues Cerocing for the next 30 years but never decides to teach or compete? Plus people have reffered to dancing in 'Gadget's style' and 'Gadgetising' moves.

I get what you're saying about credentials being an easy reference point though.

:cheers:
Christopher

Gus
6th-May-2006, 10:48 PM
Plus people have reffered to dancing in 'Gadget's style' and 'Gadgetising' moves.Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is there now Gadget(tm)? Should Ceroc(tm) be worried?:eek:

Ghost
6th-May-2006, 10:52 PM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is there now Gadget(tm)? Should Ceroc(tm) be worried?:eek:
I look forward to reading the answer in an in-depth analysis on On8 :wink:

Be Well,
Christopher

Gus
6th-May-2006, 11:18 PM
I look forward to reading the answer in an in-depth analysis on On8 :wink: No need ... thread started in Chit Chat :rolleyes:

bigdjiver
7th-May-2006, 10:50 AM
I believe arguments should be about ideas and evidence, not who holds the view. I have seen far too many "gurus" get it completely wrong. Even I ... :sad:

Ghost
7th-May-2006, 11:26 AM
I believe arguments should be about ideas and evidence, not who holds the view. I have seen far too many "gurus" get it completely wrong. Even I ... :sad:
No, no, no. You're missing the point. They've got it right because they are gurus - you're wrong :wink:

(Actually although I agree with you, there's a serious point in there. For whatever reason DavidB's "helpful suggestions" in my threads are almost always off-the cuff quips - completely useless :tears: . So I wait a week or so and then read them again. And sure enough, cunningly hidden in them is the exact answer I needed :worthy: )

Be Well,
Christopher

Jive Brummie
7th-May-2006, 12:08 PM
I think the thing we're all forgetting is that On8 is Gus' idea and therefore he makes up the rules...bitching about it and monking on about who should and should not be a guru is pointless, because it'll achieve nothing.

And you wonder why the guru's would dare to want to remain anonymous!

It's like anything else, take the Ceroc Scotland forum for example...it's Franck's creation, it's his game and he maks up the rules...

Like it or lump it, there's not much we, the common masses can do about it. But bravo to those who want something enough and have the guts to go for it.

James.

bigdjiver
7th-May-2006, 12:27 PM
... It's like anything else, take the Ceroc Scotland forum for example...it's Franck's creation, it's his game and he maks up the rules...Franck :worthy: has shown an exemplary ability to respond to suggestions and feedback and advice, which is one of the reasons that this forum is the successs that it is.:respect:

Ghost
7th-May-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the thing we're all forgetting is that On8 is Gus' idea and therefore he makes up the rules...bitching about it and monking on about who should and should not be a guru is pointless, because it'll achieve nothing.
Sorry I obviously need to use more smilies. :nice: :nice: :nice:
I'm in no way attacking Gus. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:flower: :hug: :hug: :clap: :worthy:
Be Well,
Christopher

Gus
7th-May-2006, 04:10 PM
OK ... challenge to all you would be hacks.

One of the most dynamic things to crop up on the dance scene in the past 3 years has been ..... THIS FORUM:clap:

HOWEVER, to the uninitiated it can be a scary, mysterious jungle. Anyone think theyt can write an article, aimed at a Forum virgin that will both explain what its about and help them to get the most out of the Forum. It can be humerous, technical, serious ... whatever as long as it it interesting to read. NB I'm sure that the benchmark for all articles will be the article that I'm sure Gadhget will be unable to resist writitng. Am I right? :wink:

Please PM or email me submissions by the end of the month.

Tiggerbabe
7th-May-2006, 05:03 PM
Gadhget
Who? :whistle:

Gus
7th-May-2006, 05:39 PM
Who? :whistle:Thats how its pronounced in Chesh-shire don't you know daaarling :cool:

Gadget
7th-May-2006, 08:15 PM
HOWEVER, to the uninitiated it can be a scary, mysterious jungle. Anyone think theyt can write an article, aimed at a Forum virgin that will both explain what its about and help them to get the most out of the Forum. It can be humerous, technical, serious ... whatever as long as it it interesting to read. NB I'm sure that the benchmark for all articles will be the article that I'm sure Gadhget will be unable to resist writitng. Am I right? :wink:
erm.. you mean like this: Forum FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)?

Some humour, some technical, some serious... I think it is fairly interesting to read. Have you read it? :innocent:

Ghost
7th-May-2006, 08:53 PM
erm.. you mean like this: Forum FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)?

Some humour, some technical, some serious... I think it is fairly interesting to read. Have you read it? :innocent:
Didn't we clear this up on LMC's "Moderator" thread? I'm the only one who's read it :whistle: (Which is a pity because it's actually very useful - it's got even got Ceroc definitions and advice on posting / getting your thread answered)

Mind you if Gus is going to edit it to make it fit On8's format, it would make an interesting article. :worthy:

Take care,
Christopher

ducasi
7th-May-2006, 08:57 PM

:yeah:

Though if Gadget doesn't want to write another article for On8 about the forum, perhaps DavidJames would...

He has the knowledge, expertise and a well-recognised will to write.

He'd also have a forum-related outlet which didn't take him past the 5,000 posts mark.

:nice:

spindr
7th-May-2006, 10:05 PM
There's a good article about a number of forums at http://www.cerocforum.com/showpost.php?p=45272&postcount=10 (towards the end).

SpinDr

ducasi
7th-May-2006, 11:37 PM
There's a good article about a number of forums at http://www.cerocforum.com/showpost.php?p=45272&postcount=10 (towards the end). Interesting article...

We've discussed the differences between Australian, NZ, and UK dancing at some considerable length before, so I don't think we need to re-hash it all over again. I'll give the author credit that he clearly states also that his UK experience is limited to England, and offers that Scottish dancers (seen in England) seem to differ to some extent.

Anyway, the relevant part of the article to this thread says this...

I am referring to the Scottish and AUS forums, where it appears that the few seem to drive the feel of these sites. So this opinion is based on what it feels reading/posting on the forums.

UK – it seems that although opinions are encouraged, the standards response is to criticise posts. The most influential writers at times they come across as unexperienced in the area they are opinionated the most. Due to the large users baseline, there are more genuine experienced dancers/teachers then AUS. The UK forum seems to be considerably negative and confrontational. Great place to go to get cut throat opinions on any dance (and other) topics. This is the site to go to get direct (and often informative) opinions. Most likely this comment will find its way there and be fought :D

AUS – despite a confrontational start, this forum seems to be a “Woodstock” style site – love, piece, and harmony (no “magic mushrooms” seen :D). Nobody is critical, people write cause they want to feel better and are commonly rewarded by the other users praises OR are IT employees with lots of spare time ;D. Criticism sometimes does appear but it is mostly directed at the dance company and not other dancers. Even this doesn’t last long as other users are adverse to criticism and negatory comments and will flood the thread with defensive comments. Because of the number of researched or experience users, this sight is very informative, just need to get through the thesis of “niceties”. This is the site to go to feel good about any issue that is on your mind.
My own feeling is that opinion is encouraged, but that the usual response is differing opinions rather than simply criticism. That said, uninformed opinion masquerading as statements of fact does tend to attract criticism. Probably because nobody likes a smart-arse. :wink:

But that's just my opinion. :nice:

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 05:41 PM
Having just read about Danny & Jodie not turning up at a MJ event in 'ON8 magazine', my opinion is they didn't turn up as a result of having too much on their plates right now.

I had a long chat with Jodie on Thursday whilst I was auditioning for the new BBC programme, "Ballroom Blitz". She told me that she and Danny have been taking part in a musical which involves a lot of travelling, so they barely get time to even do their linedancing at the moment and of course, with Jodie taking part in this new BBC show as well, they most probably don't have enough time to spare to do anything else. It can be so easy to forget when in this situation as well, but then it could be a lack of communication somewhere.

Still, there is no excuse for them not to have got in touch with Jon well in advance so he could notify the majority who were going before they turned up. Maybe they're too embarrassed now.. or maybe they've still completely forgotton about it! :o

Gus
3rd-July-2006, 05:44 PM
:tears:
Still, there is no excuse for them not to have got in touch with Jon well in advance so he could notify the majority who were going before they turned up. Maybe they're too embarrassed now.. or maybe they've still completely forgotton about it! :oTrust me ... nothing compares to the horrible black whole that an Organiser feels when the workshop start time is approaching and the guest instructor still isnt there ...:tears:

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 05:48 PM
:tears: Trust me ... nothing compares to the horrible black whole that an Organiser feels when the workshop start time is approaching and the guest instructor still isnt there ...:tears:

I can imagine how it feels... and of course it must be embarrassing for them too. I think they're making the situation worse not getting in contact.. that's if they ever remembered they were supposed to be doing a workshop! :what: Ooooh dear... :rolleyes: They're professional dancers now.. but this however doesn't look very professional at all. All the others have managed to turn up in the past.

Baruch
3rd-July-2006, 11:09 PM
They're professional dancers now.. but this however doesn't look very professional at all. All the others have managed to turn up in the past.
Exactly. If they can't honour a commitment, they shouldn't take the booking in the first place. As they had confirmed to Jon that they would be coming, it was extremely unprofessional (not to mention rude) for them firstly to just not turn up and secondly not to ring Jon and explain/apologise. They way they've gone about things is indefensible.

I was at the event they were supposed to be doing, and their no-show ruined what would have been a good evening if there wasn't the extra expectation of a showcase from Danny & Jodie. Of course, it was ruined even more for Jon and Jenn, as they had to give refunds and ended up out of pocket.

El Salsero Gringo
4th-July-2006, 09:54 AM
it was ruined even more for Jon and Jenn, as they had to give refunds and ended up out of pocket.No doubt they're thinking of a legal action seeking damages for breach of contract?

Baruch
5th-July-2006, 10:50 PM
No doubt they're thinking of a legal action seeking damages for breach of contract?
I hope so.

Donna
6th-July-2006, 12:27 PM
I hope so.

Best wait until they hear what they've got to say first. It could be their agents fault, not theirs.

Gus
6th-July-2006, 01:48 PM
On a separate note, any comments re Stevie Wongs very personal view about the long trek to National stardom ... ok, UK Advanced Champion? Think the whole story will take about 4 issues ... time for the 47 people who PROMISED me articles to get their finger out and actually send them!

Donna
6th-July-2006, 01:51 PM
On a separate note, any comments re Stevie Wongs very personal view about the long trek to National stardom ... ok, UK Advanced Champion? Think the whole story will take about 4 issues ...

:yeah: Thought it would take me a lifetime to read it! He could write for Britain easily! :rofl:

Baruch
6th-July-2006, 11:01 PM
Best wait until they hear what they've got to say first. It could be their agents fault, not theirs.I get the impression that they were dealing with D & J direct, not with their agent.

Gus
31st-July-2006, 03:07 PM
OK, gave it a shot but its not worked how I would have liked. :(

Loads of offers of articles but very few actualy materialised. So, as I'm trying to reduce my involvement in MJ seems like On8 could do with someone who has got more time to spend on it. anyone interested in taking it over?

paul stevo
8th-August-2006, 12:59 PM
With Nina taking a year our, Viktor apparantly doing less teaching and Gus wanting to do less MJ....what`s going on???

Do they know something I don`t? :sad:

Donna
8th-August-2006, 01:11 PM
With Nina taking a year our, Viktor apparantly doing less teaching and Gus wanting to do less MJ....what`s going on???

Do they know something I don`t? :sad:

Hopefully it'll return back to normal. Nina WILL come back, Viktor will be teaching MORE and Gus.... :eek: :confused: Come baaack!!!! :sad: :hug:

Gus
8th-August-2006, 01:58 PM
With Nina taking a year our, Viktor apparantly doing less teaching and Gus wanting to do less MJ....what`s going on??? Yup, discovered something ... its called "getting a life":wink:

Actualy thats not far from the truth. Got a business I want to move up a few level and so need to focus more on it. I realised that with the Politics and Wars that have broken out in the North West there are a whole range of indiviuals I don't really want to associate with ... so the easiest way is to just leave the dance scene. It happens. Like all sports / hobbies / interests, for most people it only has a limited lifespen. So, finding people who I think are 'good and true' and passing things on to them for them to take them forward. Looks like I've got someone for On8 and will shortly have someone for CoolCatz. :waycool:

straycat
8th-August-2006, 02:43 PM
Yup, discovered something ... its called "getting a life":wink:

Actualy thats not far from the truth. Got a business I want to move up a few level and so need to focus more on it. I realised that with the Politics and Wars that have broken out in the North West there are a whole range of indiviuals I don't really want to associate with ... so the easiest way is to just leave the dance scene.

:(
Why not just move to the North East? We could use your talents over here...

bigdjiver
8th-August-2006, 03:24 PM
....there are a whole range of indiviuals I don't really want to associate with ... Unfortunately those individuals are everywhere, and the dance scene is a calm backwater compared to most areas of business. Take care. Good Luck.

Gus
8th-August-2006, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately those individuals are everywhere, and the dance scene is a calm backwater compared to most areas of business. Take care. Good Luck.Trust me, I've been in business for 20 years and have seen all sorts BUT I expect that in business. What's surprised me is the lenghts (depths) people now will go to just to earn an extra £200/300. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Been in the dance business for 8 years, but I've never seen anything like what I've seen and know is going on in the N West at present. Its getting as bad as Brightnam. I now really regret the day I got involved on the 'other side'. Ah, the sweet blissfull ignorance of just being a punter :o

Donna
8th-August-2006, 05:06 PM
Trust me, I've been in business for 20 years and have seen all sorts BUT I expect that in business. What's surprised me is the lenghts (depths) people now will go to just to earn an extra £200/300. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Been in the dance business for 8 years, but I've never seen anything like what I've seen and know is going on in the N West at present. Its getting as bad as Brightnam. I now really regret the day I got involved on the 'other side'. Ah, the sweet blissfull ignorance of just being a punter :o

Uh, you're not quitting dancing for good? are you? :really: :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2006, 05:56 PM
Uh, you're not quitting dancing for good? are you? :really: :sad:You're not quitting the Forum for good too, are you?

(Not being pushy or anything, but do you have a date in mind? The good venues get booked up awful early this time of year :whistle:)

WittyBird
8th-August-2006, 05:58 PM
You're not quitting the Forum for good too, are you?

:rofl: Are you insinuating anything ESG? :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2006, 06:01 PM
:rofl: Are you insinuating anything ESG? :rofl:Me? Never. *You* were the one who said "let's throw a party".

Aleks
8th-August-2006, 06:03 PM
Trust me

I could NEVER trust a man who needed to say that!

WittyBird
8th-August-2006, 06:05 PM
Me? Never. *You* were the one who said "let's throw a party".

Yes I did I admit it.............
But I meant at my flat with special people :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes I did I admit it.............
But I meant at my flat with special people :rolleyes:"special" people, you mean?

WittyBird
8th-August-2006, 06:08 PM
"special" people, you mean?

*ping* :rofl:

Donna
8th-August-2006, 06:15 PM
You're not quitting the Forum for good too, are you?

Moi? Nope. :yum:

(Not being pushy or anything, but do you have a date in mind

Well ESG... :really: Of course! :awe: Where do you have in mind? :grin: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2006, 06:29 PM
Moi? Nope. :yum: Er actually, I meant Gus...

Donna
8th-August-2006, 06:43 PM
Er actually, I meant Gus...

Oooohhhhh. :blush: :rofl: Sorry, must be all the late nights!!!!

David Bailey
8th-August-2006, 07:08 PM
Er actually, I meant Gus...
Good thing I delayed my trenchant defence of Donna's naturalistic style, unique perspective and post-ironic approach then :rofl:

Cue: "Do we need Gus in MJ" thread - that's when you know you've arrived. :innocent:

Donna
8th-August-2006, 08:08 PM
Good thing I delayed my trenchant defence of Donna's naturalistic style, unique perspective and post-ironic approach then :rofl:

:blush: :grin:

Gus
9th-August-2006, 09:00 AM
Cue: "Do we need Gus in MJ" thread - that's when you know you've arrived. :innocent:Hey, I arrived a fair few years ago ... just enjoying the thought of leaving though :waycool:

You're not quitting the Forum for good too, are you?Was thinking of hanging about for a learned posting actualy on dance ..... could end up being like Waiting for Godot though. :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2006, 09:11 AM
could end up being like Waiting for Godot though. :rolleyes:I find this place more like Huis Clos. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huis_clos)

straycat
9th-August-2006, 09:28 AM
I find this place more like Huis Clos. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huis_clos)

So what terrible sin(s) did you commit which put you here for us to torture? Not that we don't enjoy it, mind... :devil: :devil: :whistle:

Gus
9th-August-2006, 09:32 AM
So what terrible sin(s) did you commit which put you here for us to torture? Not that we don't enjoy it, mind... :devil: :devil: :whistle:NOW I remeber why I stay on the Forum.:devil: Nice to see that my proteges DJ, Barry S, Dave F etc have all progressed wonderfully in the sport of ESG-baiting :waycool:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2006, 10:27 AM
So what terrible sin(s) did you commit which put you here for us to torture? Not that we don't enjoy it, mind... :devil: :devil: :whistle: I think it began something like this:

Her: "You coming to Ceroc tonight?"
Me: "Ceroc? What on earth is that?"

my proteges DJ, Barry S, Dave FEr, who?

Dizzy
9th-August-2006, 10:35 AM
Nice to see that my proteges DJ, snip

Actually, I was told it was DJ that introduced you to ceroc :whistle:

*Runs and hides*

David Franklin
9th-August-2006, 10:53 AM
NOW I remeber why I stay on the Forum.:devil: Nice to see that my proteges DJ, Barry S, Dave F etc have all progressed wonderfully in the sport of ESG-baiting :waycool:Before anyone misinterprets the above post, let me make it clear that I am not a protege, I am a free man.

Is that what you wanted me to say, Gus?

Gus
9th-August-2006, 11:41 AM
Actually, I was told it was DJ that introduced you to ceroc :whistle:As with many statements on this forum, somewhat innaccurate.:whistle: It was Chris Vessey (ex-Dance Crazy, ex Head DJ for Jive Spree, ex-Dancer) who introduced me to Ceroc at the legendary Central Club. DJ did once, a few months later, take me to a LeRoc class across the road at the YMCA where beginners were shown the first move jump and hip-hops :tears: :tears: First and last time I went to LeRoc :sick:

David Bailey
9th-August-2006, 11:53 AM
As with many statements on this forum, somewhat innaccurate.:whistle: It was Chris Vessey (ex-Dance Crazy, ex Head DJ for Jive Spree, ex-Dancer) who introduced me to Ceroc at the legendary Central Club. DJ did once, a few months later, take me to a LeRoc class across the road at the YMCA where beginners were shown the first move jump and hip-hops :tears: :tears: First and last time I went to LeRoc :sick:
Ahh, those were the days... Christine whatsit, I believe was the teacher, I can't remember, memory cells fading, help it's all going blan- :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2006, 11:55 AM
It was Chris Vessey (ex-Dance Crazy, ex Head DJ for Jive Spree, ex-Dancer) who introduced me to Ceroc at the legendary Central Club.You know those sci-fi stories where someone is sent back in time to radically alter human history for the better by making one tiny adjustment in the past...?

Gus
9th-August-2006, 12:24 PM
You know those sci-fi stories where someone is sent back in time to radically alter human history for the better by making one tiny adjustment in the past...?Yeah ... no Ceroc Nantwich, no CoolCatz, no Blitz Northwich, etc etc :cool:

Donna
9th-August-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah ... no Ceroc Nantwich, no CoolCatz, no Blitz Northwich, etc etc :cool:

Really? :really:

straycat
9th-August-2006, 01:08 PM
You know those sci-fi stories where someone is sent back in time to radically alter human history for the better by making one tiny adjustment in the past...?

You mean something like:

Her: "I'm off out for the evening. See you next week!"
Me: "ok"

Donna
9th-August-2006, 01:12 PM
You know those sci-fi stories where someone is sent back in time to radically alter human history for the better by making one tiny adjustment in the past...?

If that was possible, I'd make sure he had a good reason to stay in the MJ world. :tears:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2006, 01:17 PM
You mean something like:

Her: "I'm off out for the evening. See you next week!"
Me: "ok"Seeing as it was someone I hardly knew, who dragged me along kicking and screaming it wouldn't even take that much of an alteration.

(Those interested in taking on the task please form an orderly queue...)

Will
9th-August-2006, 01:22 PM
Ahh, those were the days... Christine whatsit, I believe was the teacher,

Keeble?

Cruella
9th-August-2006, 01:30 PM
Seeing as it was someone I hardly knew, who dragged me along kicking and screaming it wouldn't even take that much of an alteration.

(Those interested in taking on the task please form an orderly queue...)
I think Tessalicious has graciously taken on the task already.:devil:

Gus
9th-August-2006, 01:32 PM
Keeble?One and the same :) Nice dancer but was teaching moves massively ahead of the skillbase of those there. Interesting point. Her class had about 20 punters. Central club had about 150/200. Wonder who had got their marketing right? Having siad that at least the LeRoc club was friendly, Central club was wall to wall 'Ceroc-Snobs'.

David Bailey
9th-August-2006, 06:05 PM
Keeble?
Apparently so and :clap: to Gus for retaining some of his memory cells. I do remember dragging someone to Central Club around that time though, but I can't remember who. Maybe Chris, Maybe Steve H? It's a mystery...

Well, I'm probably seeing Chris next weekend. Tell you what, I'll do the hard work and get him to record one of those classic "Warning from future self" messages, and you can do the easy part and spend the next 10 days building the time machine, OK?

Anyway, weren't we supposed to be talking about a magazine at some point in this thread? Has anyone volunteered to take it on? I still think it's a good idea...

bigdjiver
9th-August-2006, 09:02 PM
... Anyway, weren't we supposed to be talking about a magazine at some point in this thread? Has anyone volunteered to take it on? I still think it's a good idea...It is a good idea. We are already past the point at which MJ should have its own magazine on the racks, with or without other dance forms in it. It might be possible to start it as a monthly feature in a sunday supplement.

To do that H.Q. would have to take the lead in paying for the advertising. To do that H.Q. would have to believe in advertising, and be ready to exploit the results.

At the moment I am unable to point anybody at a web site that shows just how good MJ can look, and what to expect from a normal class night. AFIK Ceroc do not own the necessary rights to any champs video.

If none of the far better qualified do not do it first, that is one of my personal ambitions, but at present I am in "wading through treacle" mode.