PDA

View Full Version : Who do you plan to dance with?

ducasi
3rd-April-2006, 08:39 PM
There have been a few comments on a couple of threads which are related to this question, but I promise, I was planning to ask it even before they came up...

When you go to your standard, usual, freestyle, who are you normally planning to dance with?

We'll just take it for read that we'll all dance with folks besides the people who we were planning to dance with who ask... :)

Jive Brummie
3rd-April-2006, 08:42 PM
I tend to dance with the people I feel comfortable with, the ones I know I get on with and can have a laugh with and the ones that I think won't be hard work!

JB. (I'm soooo lazy:rofl: )

Ghost
3rd-April-2006, 08:45 PM
When you go to your standard, usual, freestyle, who are you normally planning to dance with?

Ok it won't last but I love that "Huh?" is at 100% at the moment. :rofl:

Seriously though, that is my answer. I don't plan who I'm going to dance with. It's never occurred to me to do so. I just turn up and dance.

Be interesting to see if others are more organised than me though

Be Well,
Christopher

Lory
3rd-April-2006, 08:49 PM
I hope you don't mind Ducasi but I added a couple more options :flower:

Gojive
3rd-April-2006, 08:49 PM
None of them, all of them, and some of them, is the best I can answer. It really depends on where I'm going, what mood I'm in, and who I'm going with :)

Frankie_4711
3rd-April-2006, 08:53 PM
My main aim is to dance with as many people as possible. It's nice to have a few 'favourites' that you can rely on for a good dance, but basically it's a bit of an adventure ... I try and get a dance with as many new people as possible (by 'new' I don't necessarily only mean beginners (but they are by no means excluded!), but just generally people I've not seen there before). As I do tend to frequent the same couple of venues which are quite close together there are a lot more 'knowns' than 'unknowns', but I still try to spread myself around (if you'll pardon the expression!). Oh, and I try not to dance with the same person more than twice in a night, even though there are a couple I'd love to spend all night dancing with!!

ducasi
3rd-April-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope you don't mind Ducasi but I added a couple more options :flower:
Well I thought I had those options covered by the first option, and the word "mostly" – I figured if a greater explanation beyond my options was necessary, folks could tick the nearest (even if it was just "huh?") and post their thoughts...

But you're the boss... :worthy:

Lory
3rd-April-2006, 08:59 PM
But you're the boss... :worthy::yeah: :D

:hug:

Minnie M
3rd-April-2006, 09:04 PM
shame it's not multi-choice :sad:

Missy D
3rd-April-2006, 09:21 PM
As its not multichoice then i cannot tick just one box.

If i am practising for a competition then i tend to dance mainly with my dance partner.

If I am at a venue and some dodgy man ie:- the dead man, licker or the mothball man heads my way - I grab the nearest person to dance with even if its a woman.

Other than that I dance with anyone!

If i refuse a dance then there is usually a good reason ie:- too tired, thirsty, need the loo etc.

Lucy Locket
3rd-April-2006, 09:37 PM
the dead man, licker or the mothball man

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Don't think i've had the pleasure :devil:

Missy D
3rd-April-2006, 09:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Don't think i've had the pleasure :devil:

Get some gorgeous ones down here:rofl:

Lynn
3rd-April-2006, 10:43 PM
shame it's not multi-choice :sad::yeah: I would probably want to tick - 'all my friends', 'everyone I can', 'everyone who's new to me' and 'whoever asks me'.

If I'm there with a SO then I would like the last dance with him but other than that would want to dance with lots of people.

If I'm on taxi duty of course its all the beginners then a few dances with 'regulars' in the last 1/2 hour.

If not then usually as many as possible and esp any new people. At the freestyle on Sat I tried to dance with all the guys, missed a few (including Lone Wolf :tears: ) but managed to dance with almost all of them.:D

I've noticed I have a different approach when I'm on my home ground, I almost never sit and wait to be asked!

philsmove
3rd-April-2006, 11:00 PM
:If I'm there with a SO then I would like the last dance with him

:yeah: but instead of "him" read "her"

but even this seems to be old fashioned :sad:

apart from that I always plan to have at least one dance with someone I have never danced with before. the rest sort of just happens

WittyBird
3rd-April-2006, 11:26 PM
I dance with anyone that asks me, I aint fussy :what: but then you guys knew that :rofl:

*although I do avoid sometimes* :eek:

Martini Babe
3rd-April-2006, 11:28 PM
I dance with anyone, you might get a nice surprise or a nasty shock :innocent:

tomboh
4th-April-2006, 12:46 AM

My answer doesn't exist as an option in the poll, but every event I attend I plan to dance with two particular partners.

But I hope to dance with all sorts of people. That's what I enjoy most.

And, of course, both people I really enjoy dancing with lots I've discovered through chance.

MartinHarper
4th-April-2006, 09:18 AM
Well I said "everybody I can", but the proviso is that this only applies to smaller events. At larger events that doesn't work so well - feels too much like hard work - so I plan to dance with folks who ask me + people I know + a few randoms.

Zebra Woman
4th-April-2006, 10:47 AM
All my friends, and everyone in the room who looks like they will dance smoothly and not hurt me.

This includes beginners. :flower:

drathzel
4th-April-2006, 10:55 AM
All my friends, and everyone in the room who looks like they will dance smoothly and not hurt me.

This includes beginners. :flower:

:yeah: if someone hurts me i will probably not dance with them again unless it is a genuine mistake:flower:

Freya
4th-April-2006, 11:24 AM
If I am at a venue and some dodgy man ie:- the dead man, licker or the mothball man heads my way - I grab the nearest person to dance with even if its a woman.

:yeah: We have a few of them up here. There is one guy who smells awful and it is just a nasty dance - Loo trips often occur when he heads in my direction!!! Not being nasty but dancing is supposed to be a pleasure?

As to my answer being fairly new I like to dance with as many people I can. I have a few friends who are absolute faves to dance with but i just love to dance so the more the merryier!!!

Xxxx

Donna
4th-April-2006, 11:33 AM
It depends really. Leading up to competitions I'll dance with my partner and try and get around to dancing with at least 3 people. (Depending on what time we arrive at the venue. If kinda late, then 1 if lucky) When there are no comps coming up, I'll dance with anyone, but mainly people I know. I'm more likely to ask people I know and wait for those who don't know me to ask. If anyone has hurt me in the past, then I may just give them a second chance (accidents happen) but if it happened again as a result of being rough, then I'll refuse or avoid them everytime.

Alice
4th-April-2006, 12:15 PM
Depends on the night and how I'm feeling- sometimes if I'm tired I'll just dance with friends, but mostly I try to dance with as many people as possible:wink:

I do try to get at least a couple of dances with some of the more advanced dancers too... but that doesn't always happen. If I'm there with a SO then I'd want to dance the last one or two with him.

...and then it's just whoever asks me! I rarely turn one down:grin:

Lou
4th-April-2006, 12:21 PM
If it's my local, then I won't make any plans - I'll just dance with whoever's there, whoever asks me, or whoever's lurking, waiting to dance.

However, if I have to drive further than Gloucester, I text, email, phone & MSG people I know I like dancing with, in order that my effort in going there won't be wasted & that I'll have a couple of decent dances. :D

marty_baby
4th-April-2006, 12:35 PM
I am truely terrible at this :tears: :o

Unless I think about it (Which is never) - On dance nights, I always miss people out who I'd like to dance with... I am asked to dance (Which is nice) and I normally ask the nearest person to dance - and before you know it the night finishes - I'm terrible at working the room properly through the night. Its such a shame, but hey, I suppose the reasoning can be - on dance nights - its "let your hair down, switch off, and just dance!"....

My latest **** up tho was the BAWA last Friday. Mark and Jackie was there - and I did not ask jackie to dance, or even chat with her. She is such a nice lady as well, organised the whole trip for Bristol and Cardiff up to Blackpool this year, and even gave me a Sharon a cool "Congrats" card for the weekend. (Jackie organises the trips every year apparently.)

doh! :o

Martin :rolleyes:

Donna
4th-April-2006, 12:59 PM
She is such a nice lady as well, organised the whole trip for Bristol and Cardiff up to Blackpool this year, and even gave me a Sharon a cool "Congrats" card for the weekend.

Awww bless. They are such lovely people though, and have some seriously hot moves! (Tips please?:grin: )

marty_baby
4th-April-2006, 01:40 PM
Awww bless. They are such lovely people though, and have some seriously hot moves! (Tips please?:grin: )

Can't really help there Donna - I never seem to dance with Jackie! :tears: :rofl:

But yup - they are awesome on the funky stuff.... and Jackie looks stunning in all white, like on Friday night. I think she was also wearing a nice top with a plunging plunging bodice.... and I didn't dance with her... I need a lobotomy I reckon! :rofl:

Donna
4th-April-2006, 01:46 PM
Can't really help there Donna - I never seem to dance with Jackie! :tears: :rofl:

But yup - they are awesome on the funky stuff.... and Jackie looks stunning in all white, like on Friday night. I think she was also wearing a nice top with a plunging plunging bodice.... and I didn't dance with her... I need a lobotomy I reckon! :rofl:

You know Jackie is on the forum quite a lot recently...but she never posts! I'm sure she'll reply to this if she sees it! :rofl:

Sheepman
4th-April-2006, 02:31 PM
I needed multiple choice too, so that I could select all of :-

all my friends
everybody I can
anyone who's new to me
whoever asks me
Mainly my partner, leading up to comps

Inevitably time is always too short, getting around trying to dance with the people I'm closest too has to be the main priority, but I still want to ask some of the strangers. If I've had less than impressive previous experiences with someone, then of course I'm not going to rush to repeat that!

Oh, and of course there's that "time of the month" (usually about 2 and 1/2 weeks per month, striking at random intervals :what: ) where I feel my dancing is crap, and I shouldn't be inflicting it on anyone who has expectations. :sad:

Greg

Donna
4th-April-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh, and of course there's that "time of the month" (usually about 2 and 1/2 weeks per month, striking at random intervals :what: ) where I feel my dancing is crap, and I shouldn't be inflicting it on anyone who has expectations. :sad:

You? Have a bad time of the month? Come on now!

Piglet
9th-April-2006, 12:48 AM
I chose "everybody I can" and in an ideal world this would be 100% true.

However there are 2 guys who sometimes appear at my local venues that I simply will not under any circumstances dance with, and although I don't go dancing with a plan on who I want to be dancing with I definitely have hopes and aspirations at times :rolleyes:

Magic Hans
9th-April-2006, 10:40 AM
Depends on venue.

I'll always dance when asked.

Otherwise, I will tend to stick to 80% favourite, and 20% new people!

Lee
11th-April-2006, 12:38 PM
If I'm on taxi duty of course its all the beginners then a few dances with 'regulars' in the last 1/2 hour.

The teacher :drool: (every other week) but when i'm not demoing i'll dance with anyone who asks, people i know or like :whistle: , my partner :hug: , and sometimes i find myself standing by the DJ dancing 'normally' :eek: (yes the thing we all used to do in night clubs, and that we find hard to do now).

Lee

Your wife
12th-April-2006, 01:51 PM

Yeah I know who you mean, "the guy who's about to drop off the perch" we call him! :rofl:

Funnily enough this is proving my point on an earlier thread about fixed couples at freestyles. Suprised as I got so slated for it.:mad:

By the way, who goes to a dance event planning to dance with no one?:confused:

DavidB
13th-April-2006, 12:25 AM
By the way, who goes to a dance event planning to dance with no one?I have done several times.

Donna
13th-April-2006, 10:26 AM
I have done several times.

Yeah me too! Especially leading up to comps. (Was suppose to work out that way last night, but I promised someone a dance and would have felt awful if I didn't!)

Georgious dancer
17th-April-2006, 05:17 PM
I can't say I really plan in advance to dance with anyone in particular, although when i do arrive at the venue i will scan the dance floor looking for potential victims!

Generally when I go to my local venues I'll dance with anyone, but like to make sure I get a dance with my friends I go with. There is also one gentleman at our local venues that i always make an effort to dance with as he says he enjoys dancing with me and I recently found out that he started dancing to help him overcome an illness that had affected his memory and co-ordination - it took me a while to pluck up the courage to start ceroc and I have a good memory and co-ordination so my hands go up to this man. Brave or what!

When I go to other venues my attitude is different and I purposely look for people that i have not danced with before as I believe the more people I dance with the more I will improve.

Yogi_Bear
17th-April-2006, 07:54 PM
This is quirky, I know, but as I never go to my local venue I normally dance at fairly random non-local towns and cities around the country. As I go to weekenders occasionally there will usually - but not necessarily be a few people I know, either to speak to or by sight. In some cases I may be there with no intention of dancing (injured, off colour, not in the mood, just fancy watching others, or whatever....). But on the whole I will probably have dances with:
- people I know (or know of) and I would like to dance with,
- people I have never seen before but based on my observations of how they dance with others I would really like to dance with them,
- random people, just for the fun of it,
- anyone available if a track comes on that I just HAVE to dance to,
- anyone who asks me and I accept (which I would normally do as I am always immensely flattered).
I am most unlikely to dance to music I can't stand or which leaves absolutely no scope for musical interpretations (unless asked, that is).