PDA

View Full Version : Does Birmingham dance?.......

TiggsTours
29th-March-2006, 12:11 PM
Following the useful advice that flooded in for this thread:

Does Bristol Dance?..... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8009)

I thought I'd try my luck with this one!

I'll be doing some work in Birmingham soon, and can't find anything on the Ceroc website, is there anything else? Any Lindy would be good too, or am I asking too much?

Donna
29th-March-2006, 12:25 PM
Following the useful advice that flooded in for this thread:

Does Bristol Dance?..... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8009)

I thought I'd try my luck with this one!

I'll be doing some work in Birmingham soon, and can't find anything on the Ceroc website, is there anything else? Any Lindy would be good too, or am I asking too much?

Well there is this one

http://www.cerocsb.co.uk/

or this one

http://www.glee.co.uk/php/news_item.php?id_news=35

Gus
29th-March-2006, 12:40 PM
I'll be doing some work in Birmingham soon, and can't find anything on the Ceroc website, is there anything else? Any Lindy would be good too, or am I asking too much?As usual try UK-Jive.co.uk. Think there are some good clubs, just not in the centre of Brum ... its mostly dominated by Salsa. There used to be Lindy, see where TRDC operate (or ask The Harper). Probably best to avoid the Glee club, its alwys suffered form a lousy dance floor. Of you have transport try to hit Solihull (John Baker's club) or Whythall where young Andy Bragg does his thing.

BobbyA
29th-March-2006, 12:47 PM
The glee in birmingham doesn't have the best of floors, but there are a bunch of lovely people there. Everyone is really friendly. It depends tho, I've not been to the solihul one but being a john baker thing I'm sure it will be brilliant. I go to his Thornbury venue on thursdays and thats always great fun.

Also depends where you are going in bham. If you are in the heart of bham and have no transport then glee club is for you. Its fairly close to New Street Station.

Cruella
29th-March-2006, 12:52 PM
The freestyles at Solihull are always popular. If john or Tom are Djing the musics good. The venue has a nice floor but unfortunately does tend to get extremely busy at the freestyles. A nice friendly crowd though.

DavidY
29th-March-2006, 01:06 PM
There are also some Ceroc Midlands venues on the West side of Birmingham (Wolverhampton/ Dudley etc.). Plus some venues run by Blitz.

fletch
29th-March-2006, 01:32 PM
Let me know when you are going to be in Bham and I'll have a look at the best venues for you, although I live in Stafford now I only moved here 3 years ago and was borne and bread in Brum.

As I have to go backwards and forwards to my moms and my EX's with the children so I can always collect you.

Yam gunna be allright gal don't worry.

Breeny
30th-March-2006, 01:33 PM
not just ceroc in birmingham. you have got Blitz on a tuesday, want2dance down in alcester on a wendsdayand redditch on a monday, if you can travell then lemmington, warwick and coventry
so take a look on uk-jive site

Trousers
30th-March-2006, 02:09 PM
where's my tuppence gone? Oh here its . . . . . . .

Solihull - too busy and lessons tend toward overly long. Freestyles Stupidly sorry Dangerously busy (This is a venue that should ticket only freestyles)
Wythall - great can be busy. Table layout makes ladies seem just too far away if they sit down
Sutton - normal days I thought were quiet but freestyles allways well attended
Halesowen - hmmmmm
Jaguar social in Cov - Freestyles good Fletch and Co. frequent them so are kosher x Bar service dire. Good floor the Blitz crowd are very welcoming here

Further afield the world is your oyster

Daventry - feestyles - All Hail the Queen of Modern - Emma Pettit - these rock - 'cept for the amount of caberet which for me is too much. There is a cliquey talented corner!
Northampton (TheSaints) - Top dancing Good tunes - floor can be dirty non smoking after years of asking! CTC here too - Sometimes suffers from very late venue changes which is annoying (standby venue is near but you need to know where)
Wrexham (not Ceroc) - Freestyles are generally good some band nights fortunately not always the Banana Men
Chester - Excellent Class nights Mondays better - Brill freestyles (always ticket)
Nantwich - lesson no idea Freestyles usually good - good floor music generally ok
Leicester - Quiet - for a guy there are a few good ladies - Try Jivecat for the ladies opinion. And last night there was a really good set of Music - Did i really say that?
Hipsters - you are just on the edge of the Hipster commute in brum - make a weekend of it in London and you are laffin but no work on Saturday and it's still worth a vist once in a blue one

Remember it's an opinion.

fletch
30th-March-2006, 05:56 PM
Halesowen - hmmmmm

Jaguar social in Cov - Freestyles good Fletch and Co.

I'm going to Halesowen, for the Ball:what: this Friday :(

:wink:

Don't forget the 't' dance in Dudley this Sunday

Trousers
30th-March-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm going to Halesowen, for the Ball:what: this Friday :(

:wink:

Don't forget the 't' dance in Dudley this Sunday

Ooooh well have a ... time then dearest!
Is it a full team outing or just the hardcore?

Was planning on MK meself on Sunday

Ermm Doesn't He Who Must Not Be Named post to UK-Jive.co.uk? can't see either of those events in there on the days you speak of. You sure they're on - Can't be 'rsed to check out the cerocmidland website its always ponderously slow. Forget what I was looking for by the time it loads.

fletch
30th-March-2006, 06:51 PM
Ermm Doesn't He Who Must Not Be Named post to UK-Jive.co.uk?

Its not 'He Who Must Not Be Named' venue, its loverly Steve 'Brace' well thats what I call him:blush:

www.corporatedancecompany.com

Stoke is STILL been advertised as a 'Ball' I belive?:rolleyes:

Sunday I hope will be good :clap:

Cruella
30th-March-2006, 06:53 PM
Its not 'He Who Must Not Be Named' venue, its loverly Steve 'Brace' well thats what I call him:blush:

:
Steve Halward

Ner ner :na: i named him.

Cruella
30th-March-2006, 06:54 PM
not just ceroc in birmingham. you have got Blitz on a tuesday, want2dance down in alcester on a wendsdayand redditch on a monday, if you can travell then lemmington, warwick and coventry
so take a look on uk-jive site
ahem!! and Rugby :D

fletch
30th-March-2006, 06:57 PM
Steve Halward

Ner ner :na: i named him.

'BRACE' suits him better, its stuck now.:innocent:

Are you coming Sunday? bring the kids:flower:

Cruella
30th-March-2006, 06:59 PM
'BRACE' suits him better, its stuck now.:innocent:

Are you coming Sunday? bring the kids:flower:
Sorry hun, only dancing sat night as hubby goes on Monday to the North Pole, so i need to spend some time with him over the weekend.:flower:

But i'll see you at Daventry on the 8th.:clap:

Trousers
30th-March-2006, 07:01 PM

Ah well then one could consider this as an option - do many go?

Dudley would reduce some driving which is always good.

and as you car will be stolen or torched it'll be taxi home so I could drink !!! hey a win win situation

Seriously Fletch is it popular?

fletch
30th-March-2006, 07:12 PM
Seriously Fletch is it popular?
Its the 1st in Dudley, he had one two weeks ago in the Lickey Hills, there wasn't loads of people but the atmosphere was FAB and the Music was spot on (no motown though):tears: and it wont be successful if we don't support it in the early days :cheers: Steve's a good guy:flower: and prepared to give 'him not to be named' a run for is money, :devil:

'Go for it STEVE' :respect:

' Fletch zippes her lips' 'don't want to be banned from the Midlands':really:

DianaS
30th-March-2006, 07:14 PM
Yep at the moment Birmingham is pants
Solihul too full like dancing in a rugby scrum
Wythall has gone down to beginners as all the advanced people left
The Jag six good dances a night if your lucky
Glee Club sticky floor

I've taken up ballroom latin and argentian tango just to keep myself sane.
Can't remember the last time i had a good night in Brum but if you are around drop me a line and I'll chance it with you!!

fletch
30th-March-2006, 07:14 PM
Sorry hun, only dancing sat night as hubby goes on Monday to the North Pole, so i need to spend some time with him over the weekend.:flower:

But i'll see you at Daventry on the 8th.:clap:

You give your man loads of :love:

Looks like Daventry will be the Freestyle of the year :clap:

fletch
30th-March-2006, 07:19 PM
Yep at the moment Birmingham is pants
Solihul too full like dancing in a rugby scrum
Wythall has gone down to beginners as all the advanced people left
The Jag six good dances a night if your lucky
Glee Club sticky floor

I've taken up ballroom latin and argentian tango just to keep myself sane.
Can't remember the last time i had a good night in Brum but if you are around drop me a line and I'll chance it with you!!
Have car will travel :sad:

Thats why I'm trying to support Steve and his venues, he has the potential to turn the midlands around, he is also friendly and has a personality, which has been sadly lacking.:eek:

'i'm doing it again' Fletch zip's her lips again :what:

DianaS
30th-March-2006, 07:25 PM
Have car will travel :sad:

Thats why I'm trying to support Steve and his venues, he has the potential to turn the midlands around, he is also friendly and has a personality, which has been sadly lacking.:eek:

I don't think I know Steve and I'm sorry that I didn't get to stockport last week. I hate driving long sistances by myself and as no one else wanted to travel or car share (Solihul was on) I stayed at home instead. If any one from around here (midlands) does want to get together for jaunts into the distandt depths of the world for a good nuight our drop me a line or start up a thread!

Gus
30th-March-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't think I know Steve and I'm sorry that I didn't get to stockport last week.You MUST know 'Braces' .... he's been on the scene forever! (Hint ... he used to wear braces all the time). I remember when we running Ceroc Stoke (back in 99) ... he and his posse used to drive all the way up form S Brum to support us. They all used to make the hellish journey up to support us at Northwich aswell. Top lad.

Shame to hear things not so good in the Brum area. Appreciate the truth of your comments though :sad:

fletch
30th-March-2006, 09:04 PM
You MUST know 'Braces' .... he's been on the scene forever! (Hint ... he used to wear braces all the time). I remember when we running Ceroc Stoke (back in 99) ... he and his posse used to drive all the way up form S Brum to support us. They all used to make the hellish journey up to support us at Northwich aswell. Top lad.

Shame to hear things not so good in the Brum area. Appreciate the truth of your comments though :sad:

I'm sure he would be grateful for the support if you could make the journey Gus, and we would all make you very welcome:flower:

Whitebeard
30th-March-2006, 09:08 PM
h

I wonder if the Laura Dixon School of Dance still exists under that illustrious name?

fletch
31st-March-2006, 08:00 AM
h

I wonder if the Laura Dixon School of Dance still exists under that illustrious name?
I haven't heard of it, do you where its based?

Trousers
31st-March-2006, 12:30 PM
Go Girl! Go Girl!

Tell it like it is - you know some mug will join in and agree with you anyway
Hey ermmm I'm that mug D'oh!

Re. Braces :- It's nice to find someone else with a logical name like mine :nice:

fletch
31st-March-2006, 01:29 PM
Go Girl! Go Girl!

Tell it like it is - you know some mug will join in and agree with you anyway
Hey ermmm I'm that mug D'oh!

Have you noticed its always me firing the bullets :rolleyes: i'll be blarting when I get banned.:tears: :na:

Just let me know when that scar starts to hurt on you forehead :wink: we will know Voldemort is getting close.:eek:

:whistle: :rofl:

Trousers
31st-March-2006, 01:36 PM
Have you noticed its always me firing the bullets :rolleyes: i'll be blarting when I get banned.:tears: :na:

Just let me know when that scar starts to hurt on you forehead :wink: we will know Voldemort is getting close.:eek:

:whistle: :rofl:
:D

Did you ever meet a pair of twins that had their own language that no-one else could understand?

's great init!

:flower:

Anyway how many people are gonna be at the Dudley T dance? will there be anyone else worth dancing with apart from your mob?

fletch
31st-March-2006, 01:48 PM
Anyway how many people are gonna be at the Dudley T dance? will there be anyone else worth dancing with apart from your mob?

Well i'm not going to say no am I :confused:

Cause there will be loads and loads :wink:

Truth is I don't know its the first in Dudley:flower:

TiggsTours
21st-April-2006, 02:26 PM
Very overdue, I know, but thank you to everyone who submitted to this thread, I've finally been told the dates I'll be in Birmingham! Wednesday 17th My (one night only, not the week I was initially told).

Hipsters - you are just on the edge of the Hipster commute in brum - make a weekend of it in London and you are laffin but no work on Saturday and it's still worth a vist once in a blue one

Thank you, this made me smile, I live about a 15 minute drive from Hipsters, so for me I wouldn't really have considered it an option when in Brum! :rofl:

Minnie M
22nd-April-2006, 01:44 AM
its loverly Steve 'Brace' well thats what I call him

You MUST know 'Braces' .... he's been on the scene forever! (Hint ... he used to wear braces all the time). I remember when we running Ceroc Stoke (back in 99) ... ...
and here's me thinking he was called Steve "Brace" as in "Brace yourself Sheila........" :eek:

Jive Brummie
23rd-April-2006, 04:35 PM
Is there 'owt doing in or near Lichfield?

JB x x

Blonde Babe Shrop
24th-April-2006, 01:01 PM
New to dancing in Shropshire I hear Oakengates is a good venue with high numbers also do u know anything about a new venue in Shrewsbury?

Donna
24th-April-2006, 01:15 PM
New to dancing in Shropshire I hear Oakengates is a good venue with high numbers also do u know anything about a new venue in Shrewsbury?

Yeah there is a venue in Shrewsbury run by 'dance jive' at the lion hotel- very posh! I used to demonstrate there but stick to just Wrexham now. (was just too much 3 times a week!!! :( )

Blonde Babe Shrop
24th-April-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks Donna will give that one a try.

Donna
24th-April-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Donna will give that one a try.

No probs!

DianaS
24th-April-2006, 02:33 PM
Is there 'owt doing in or near Lichfield?

JB x x
Hi There's Tamworth and Burton Mike Allsop can give you more details (He's on the forum)

Ste
24th-April-2006, 10:55 PM
( THe computer just went funny so I might be repeating myself0

In 2002 I moved to Brum for a year.

I was lonely and didn't like the place. I missed my friends from London and was quite depressed ( in a non clinical kind of way).

I did a bit of salsa but did not really like the salsa scene. It wasn't very friendly and I am not sure, aoart from teacher Mike and a couple of other teachers who I was friendly with, that I would really want to be friends with many of the dancers (including the lady who insisited that I go to her house for free massive therapy!!!. I declined.)

When I first got to Brum, people heard that I had come from London and one lady dancer (who was THE lady intermediate champ at that time...won comp after comp after comp) made sure I felt OK invited me to her house, wanted me to meet her partner and kid, wanted me round for dinner.

Another dancer , one of the teachers, is a lifelong friend. Lived in Solihull but gave me lifts home. A wonderful person.

I frequented mostly Soihull and the Glee and occasionally Wythall (it was a long way from the station).But people were incredibly friendly, getting me lifts back to Edgbaston etc. I was well and truly spoilt and treated like a minor celebrity!!!!!

Yes there is a lot of dance in Brum but more importantly the people were so incredibly friendly and welcoming.

I was very down and lonely and on my own in a flat but the Cerocers were wonderful, truly wonderful and wouldn't let me alone!!!!

onkar
25th-April-2006, 02:41 PM
Where do folks go on a Staurday night now, when there are no local Brum freestyles, and the Tower Ballroom is no more.

Although I live in Cambridge, I have family in Brum, and for about 6 months I visited the Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston every other weekend when in Brum. Made some great friends there.

Are there any other clubs where Jivers go for a Saturday night when the freestyle are too far to travel?

I ocassionaly hook up with a fellow dance junkie and before the clubs start to fill up do the Broad Street run, starting at Brannigans and usually ending at either Ipanemas or Relax. Would be nice to hook up with others on nights when there is nothing local being organised

Onkar

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 02:46 PM

New venue launching on 20th May at Shrewsbury School. Ceroc Shrewsbury. Contact Ceroc Midlands for more info. Although its not on their website yet.

Donna
25th-April-2006, 02:48 PM
New venue launching on 20th May at Shrewsbury School. Ceroc Shrewsbury. Contact Ceroc Midlands for more info. Although its not on their website yet.

I've just recently heard about that.. interesting to see how it turns out.

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 02:52 PM
I've just recently heard about that.. interesting to see how it turns out.

My parents live in Shrewsbury, so I have more excuses to go and visit them now. Always struggle to get out as have two small kids. In shrewsbury I will have 2 free babysitters !!!!!!!! hooray:)

nellierose
29th-September-2006, 01:03 AM
Does Brum dance?!! what a question..
I've been going to Blitz's Coventry classes and freestyles for the last 2 yrs.. huge floor and it's not smoky like some of the pokier venues. There's a freestyle coming up tomorrow... people are lovely there also.:grin:

fletch
29th-September-2006, 08:20 AM
Does Brum dance?!! what a question..
I've been going to Blitz's Coventry classes and freestyles for the last 2 yrs.. huge floor and it's not smoky like some of the pokier venues. There's a freestyle coming up tomorrow... people are lovely there also.:grin:

I wish it was NO SMOKING :sick:

Say hi :flower: you carn't miss me :wink:

Blueshoes
1st-October-2006, 04:36 PM
Taking the question purely literally: no :D