PDA

View Full Version : Moderator!

LMC
28th-March-2006, 09:09 PM
I know I am not the only person who has been talking to others about the amount of utter drivel posted on the forum recently. I freely admit that I post an awful lot of crap (or should that be a lot of awful crap?). So now I'm trying not to. Even so, there's "general crap" - i.e. potentially interesting or amusing to any random reader, and there's stuff which reads more like a conversation between two or three people that could be just as well carried out on MSN rather than clogging up a thread that might otherwise be interesting.

As far as managing the forum goes - Franck, Sheena and Lory do it all for love - of dancing if not all of us. :respect: you guys. They already spend a lot of time managing the forum, splitting wildly off-topic threads, etc. Perhaps instead of moaning about lack of content (guilty as charged) some of us could be a bit more positive in taking action...

Who's with me in using the neg rep button more for the following:

posts which quote the previous enormously long post and just add :rofl: - I've seen an awful lot of those recently. If you must quote to make it clear what you're laughing at, then SNIP IT - or better still, don't bother posting - why do we need to know you're laughing? If all you've got to say is :rofl: then that's what the positive rep system is for.
posts which don't add ANYTHING whatsoever to the discussion as they only mean something to the person who they are obviously aimed at
me (except I obviously can't neg rep myself sorry) for being a miserable cow again?

I am NOT suggesting that any of us should get personal - neg rep the post, not the person.

Martin Harper, where are you??? :devil:

Lou
28th-March-2006, 09:26 PM
I know I am not the only person who has been talking to others about the amount of utter drivel posted on the forum recently. I freely admit that I post an awful lot of crap (or should that be a lot of awful crap?). So now I'm trying not to. Even so, there's "general crap" - i.e. potentially interesting or amusing to any random reader, and there's stuff which reads more like a conversation between two or three people that could be just as well carried out on MSN rather than clogging up a thread that might otherwise be interesting.

As far as managing the forum goes - Franck, Sheena and Lory do it all for love - of dancing if not all of us. :respect: you guys. They already spend a lot of time managing the forum, splitting wildly off-topic threads, etc. Perhaps instead of moaning about lack of content (guilty as charged) some of us could be a bit more positive in taking action...

posts which quote the previous enormously long post and just add :rofl: - I've seen an awful lot of those recently. If you must quote to make it clear what you're laughing at, then SNIP IT - or better still, don't bother posting - why do we need to know you're laughing? If all you've got to say is :rofl: then that's what the positive rep system is for.
posts which don't add ANYTHING whatsoever to the discussion as they only mean something to the person who they are obviously aimed at
me (except I obviously can't neg rep myself sorry) for being a miserable cow again?

I am NOT suggesting that any of us should get personal - neg rep the post, not the person.

:yeah: :na:

FirstMove
28th-March-2006, 09:31 PM

:rofl: :devil:

Lynn
28th-March-2006, 09:33 PM
I was expecting a :rofl:

(EDIT - I see FM went for that option)

So were there bets on how many minutes after the thread started before someone quoted it in full and added a smiley? :rolleyes:

On a serious note, while I am as guilty as the rest of making some rather pointless posts (actually, make that many :blush: ), it does get a bit irritating when it happens on what are otherwise interesting dance related topics. You have to skim past the 'chat' to see if anyone has posted anything relevant to the topic.

Lory
28th-March-2006, 09:37 PM
We used to have an area called 'live chat' and I think maybe this could be the solution again?...

Each time someone wants to make a personal or unrelated post, they could copy the quote they're replying to and their response, over to the 'live chat area' thus leaving the thread 'on topic'

I do agree that sometimes it becomes tedious trying to wade through mountains of posts that just agree :yeah: or :rofl: with nothing else to contribute.

It's worse when a private 'joke' is aired, it might make people feel excluded.

I must admit, i don't read every thread but i'm happy to split threads if I have time, so if anyone would like to PM me when they see something going very
'off topic', i'll endeavour to split it :nice:

I see no reason for the forum to loose any of its silly/lovey/trivial stuff, it just needs to be put in the right place! :cheers:

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 09:46 PM
It's worse when a private 'joke' is aired, it might make people feel excluded.

I see no reason for the forum to loose any of its silly/lovey/trivial stuff, it just needs to be put in the right place! :cheers:

:yeah: i like the fact that you can have a pointless conversation as it gives me light relief from my busy stuff!:hug:

Lynn
28th-March-2006, 09:53 PM
I see no reason for the forum to loose any of its silly/lovey/trivial stuff, it just needs to be put in the right place! :cheers:I don't either, its when it spreads out from 'Chit chat' type threads into dance threads that its annoying. :(

DianaS
28th-March-2006, 10:02 PM
Absolutely! along with people who chat at freestyles and generally waste our time :angry: :mad:

Clive Long
28th-March-2006, 10:07 PM
Absolutely! along with people who chat at freestyles and generally waste our time :angry: :mad:
It makes me feel sad and tired the number of people (not just DianaS) who think that chatting at a freestyle dance is some kind of sin. I feel I should make more effort to chat and be sociable.

clive

bigdjiver
28th-March-2006, 10:08 PM
...(except I obviously can't neg rep myself sorry) for being a miserable cow again?...:devil:Youngsters of today ... don't know they're born ... should have had to serve time on Usenet ...

Even I have been guilty of off-topic ramblings and feeble attempts at humour which a few seconds thought would have suppressed. So whats my reaction to the ramblings of a miserable cow? +rep - comment "Moo"

There is the theory that the Michaelangelo painted on the ceiling to keep his art away from grafitti.

Rhythm King
28th-March-2006, 11:25 PM
Absolutely - let's put in in the tango threads for a while - they've been hijacking every other thread for ages :devil:

It makes me feel sad and tired the number of people (not just DianaS) who think that chatting at a freestyle dance is some kind of sin. I feel I should make more effort to chat and be sociable.

I concur - just so long as they don't do it on the dance floor. I'm not fit enough to dance to every track (well any track :rolleyes: ) at the moment and like to have a chance for a natter, to get my breath back as much as anything.

I do agree that it would be nice to keep the more technical threads somewhat more on the subject.

ducasi
28th-March-2006, 11:26 PM
It's the pointless drivel masquerading as humour that gets to me... :(

I don't think -ve rep is the way to go though... I don't think anyone cares enough about rep, and you could just end up encouraging people to see how many -ve reps they can get...

Now if you want to get tough, try suggesting that the moderators delete off-topic and ":rofl:"-only posts. :)

WittyBird
28th-March-2006, 11:29 PM
absolutely - why do you think i stopped ? :flower:

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 11:33 PM
I concur - just so long as they don't do it on the dance floor. I'm not fit enough to dance to every track (well any track :rolleyes: ) at the moment and like to have a chance for a natter, to get my breath back as much as anything.

I agree, i like a chance to catch up on the goss! But then again its easier for us women as we are often in the majority and have to wait for a dance.

I agree that all chatting should be taken off the dance floor, nothing worse than a couple standing in the middle of the dance floor chatting, taking up valiable dance space :grin:

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 11:33 PM
absolutely - why do you think i stopped ? :flower:

stopped what?

WittyBird
28th-March-2006, 11:35 PM
stopped what?
posting :eek: during the day :eek:

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 11:37 PM
posting :eek: during the day :eek:

i thought that was just with your new job

WittyBird
28th-March-2006, 11:38 PM
i thought that was just with your new job

oh poo you caught me out :clap:
BTW I need to give you my new number :D

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 11:44 PM
oh poo you caught me out :clap:
BTW I need to give you my new number :D

he he:devil: you cant keep anything from me, know all!:D

WittyBird
28th-March-2006, 11:47 PM
he he:devil: you cant keep anything from me, know all!:D

ok text on its way :innocent:

Cruella
29th-March-2006, 08:03 AM
ok text on its way :innocent:
Oh dear WB,Drathzel you'll be getting your wrists slapped having a private conversation on this thread.:rolleyes:
I personally only come on the forum to read the drivel, i rarely read the serious threads. We all want different things from the forum. I could complain that there's too much intellectual talk and i have to waste so much time sifting through lots of big words that i don't understand to get to the humorous and chatty posts. :rolleyes:

azande
29th-March-2006, 08:24 AM

Freedom of speech anyone? :wink:

Andy McGregor
29th-March-2006, 08:46 AM
IMHO there is nothing especially wrong with the Fourm as it is. To my mind it's not as funny as it once was. But maybe that's because I don't get the Singleton's Sofa.

I think the mindless drivel is easy to identify and ignore if you're not interested. And some people enjoy breaking up their day with an occasional mindless moment. I say long live mindless drivel.

jacksondonut
29th-March-2006, 09:10 AM
I think the mindless drivel is easy to identify and ignore if you're not interested. And some people enjoy breaking up their day with an occasional mindless moment. I say long live mindless drivel.

Its taken me a few months to be able to do just that!:yeah:

Sometimes I am interested in the 'technical' stuff and sometimes the 'fun' stuff. The only reason I tend to stop continuing to read some of the posts on the 'threads', is when it is more like a conversation (and often the reader is left to wonder, quite what is going on...maybe because it is on a more personal level and off the topic) :confused: :confused: That is when I find something else to read, or get bored... or just switch off.

A lot of the 'technical' stuff can be over my head, but very interesting so I persevere....:eek: So much of the 'fun' stuff has me laughing/crying too. It all has some value to me, apart from the drivel! (*makes a note of trying not to drivel in future..*)

On the whole, it seems to work rather well. Thanks LMC for starting this thread. :flower: :flower:

Andy McGregor
29th-March-2006, 09:17 AM
So much of the 'fun' stuff has me laughing/crying too. It all has some value to me, apart from the drivel! (*makes a note of trying not to drivel in future..*)What is one person's drivel is another's fun stuff. If you think it's funny or if it gives you some kind of thrill to post it then don't worry that someone will point at you and say "what mindless drivel, are you some kind of moron?" You are the kind of moron that likes to play and play is the domain of higher order intelligence. The last thing we need is someone policing our drivel - long live drivel :clap:

Andy McGregor
29th-March-2006, 09:20 AM
You are the kind of moron that likes to play and play is the domain of higher order intelligence. And some people are so intelligent I really can't make any sense at all of their drivel :wink:

jacksondonut
29th-March-2006, 09:25 AM
What is one person's drivel is another's fun stuff. If you think it's funny or if it gives you some kind of thrill to post it then don't worry that someone will point at you and say "what mindless drivel, are you some kind of moron?" You are the kind of moron that likes to play and play is the domain of higher order intelligence. The last thing we need is someone policing our drivel - long live drivel :clap:

OK Mr McGregor!! drivel at will... :rofl: :rofl: please just put it in plain understandable english, so us Morons will understand.. obviously I am not in the domain of higher order intelligence, (just an average' Joe', oops sorry, 'Jan') :flower:

:rofl::rofl:

stewart38
29th-March-2006, 09:38 AM
I think the forum has changed for the worst. I got sent this at 1.56am

you are a MORON :rofl:

from person who has hidden behind another name (well they think they have)

Keep the clap trap get rid of the nastyness :yeah:

SilverFox
29th-March-2006, 09:41 AM
Assorted whingeing

It's the pointless drivel masquerading as humour that gets to me... :(Perhaps it would be better if the forum was taken over totally by the geeks, removing all elements of fun and humour, thus turning it into a soulless, coma inducing IT forum?

:sick:

Lou
29th-March-2006, 10:21 AM
Perhaps it would be better if the forum was taken over totally by the geeks, removing all elements of fun and humour, thus turning it into a soulless, coma inducing IT forum?

Or the grammar geeks, who could turn it into a soulless, comma inducing, Spelling forum? :wink:

SilverFox
29th-March-2006, 10:30 AM
Or the grammar geeks, who could turn it into a soulless, comma inducing, Spelling forum? :wink:Goths, geeks, it's all the same to me.....

Lou
29th-March-2006, 10:31 AM
Goths, geeks, it's all the same to me.....
Someone tells me you look pretty good in a pvc miniskirt.... :whistle:

Lynn
29th-March-2006, 10:49 AM
I concur - just so long as they don't do it on the dance floor. I'm not fit enough to dance to every track (well any track :rolleyes: ) at the moment and like to have a chance for a natter, to get my breath back as much as anything. Chatting on the dance floor - def not. Chatting at a dance - yes - that's part of the whole social aspect of the evening surely? I love chilling out, catching up with friends and making new friends. (OK sometimes I'm in a 'want to dance, dance, dance' mood and I understand if someone else feels like this.)

Am I off topic enough now? :devil:

OK - back on thread...

Absolutely - let's put in in the tango threads for a while - they've been hijacking every other thread for ages :devil: You've already tried once and it didn't work. :na: The tango threads thank goodness have stayed on topic, about all aspects of the tango experience and are one of the main reasons why I haven't departed from the forum as well. If they go all silly chit chat...:(

bigdjiver
29th-March-2006, 11:10 AM
Even in the mortuary there is sometimes laughter to be heard, and serios disputes occur in the comedy club. Most people have a sense of time and place for behaviour.

Donna
29th-March-2006, 11:12 AM
Perhaps it would be better if the forum was taken over totally by the geeks, removing all elements of fun and humour, thus turning it into a soulless, coma inducing IT forum?

:rofl: (oops sorry.. I'd have left it like this.. so will add some more to this post)

That's funny! :rofl:

bigdjiver
29th-March-2006, 11:34 AM

:sick:Without those forums there would not be this forum.

drathzel
29th-March-2006, 11:40 AM
Without those forums there would not be this forum.

Ah but if it was only the geeky stuff then i think the number of users would decrease and then it would have to be named something else...after all this is a dance forum, yes?

:confused:

azande
29th-March-2006, 11:49 AM
Ah but if it was only the geeky stuff then i think the number of users would decrease and then it would have to be named something else...after all this is a dance forum, yes?

:confused:
Is it?

Lynn
29th-March-2006, 11:50 AM
I think that was sort of the point of this thread.:rolleyes: That sometimes people are having dance related discussions that get sidetracked into one to one personal chats or 'in' jokes. Stuff that's OK on the forum, in the chit chat threads. :flower: But when it starts to spill over into lots of threads it puts off those people who actually want to talk about dance.

Well it puts me off anyway.

bigdjiver
29th-March-2006, 12:53 PM

:confused:So ... you have only ever posted on dance related matters? I have never argued against chit-chat and merriment in their place. It is a question of manners, of allowing others their place. There are gigabytes available for "free speech".

P.S. I'm guilty sometimes too.

Lynn
29th-March-2006, 01:06 PM
P.S. I'm guilty sometimes too.We almost all are :blush:

ducasi
29th-March-2006, 01:55 PM

I don't have any problem with fun and humour – especially when it's in the right place on the forum. It's the unfunny crap clogging up otherwise good threads that I'd like to see less of.

I'd hope very little of what I post could be described as "soulless" or "coma-inducing". :(

But, like others, I'm not entirely innocent of the odd off-topic post which is of little interest to others. :o

I'm trying to cut down... :)

drathzel
29th-March-2006, 02:16 PM
So ... you have only ever posted on dance related matters? I have never argued against chit-chat and merriment in their place. It is a question of manners, of allowing others their place. There are gigabytes available for "free speech".

P.S. I'm guilty sometimes too.

I am as guilty as the next person for chit chat and all the other stuff, but i did join because it was a dance forum, i have started and been in volved in many a thread that discusses dancing and only dancing. I think certain thread leave it open to chit chat, like the "whats on" threads and in these i will talk pish like everyone else. I think its great that things are sectioned and i know where to post if i have a problem or need help but i think the forum would be a very boring place if there wasnt a bit of humour or idle chit chat!

Lynn
30th-March-2006, 01:21 PM
We almost all are :blush:I'm going to endeavour, for a while at least, to post less uninteresting, boring stuff. Which will of course mean posting much less. (Some might say, not at all... :blush: )

ducasi
30th-March-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm going to endeavour, for a while at least, to post less uninteresting, boring stuff. Which will of course mean posting much less. (Some might say, not at all... :blush: )
:yeah: :wink:

thewacko
30th-March-2006, 06:37 PM

:clap: damn
:flower: wrong again
:innocent:
:blush:
:rofl: gotcha

thewacko
30th-March-2006, 06:37 PM
:clap: damn
:flower: wrong again
:innocent:
:blush:
:rofl: gotcha
now that is just childish

now that is just childish
well you might think it childish I thought it funny

well you might think it childish I thought it funny
thats cos you are childish

thats cos you are childish
now your having a conversation with yourself

now your having a conversation with yourself
I know thats cos you cant do that on MSN

besides if I wannt to talk dance I will go on a dance thread, but if I want a bit of CHAT I go on a "CHAT" thread

:devil: Hey Its good this forum:devil:

Trousers
30th-March-2006, 06:52 PM
Dunno whether this thread is still on track as it was started but I know it was off into a little world of chitchat before the end of the first page and I couldn't see any benefit in following another 3 pages of the stuff. So I came here effectively from the first post.

Frankley LMC I agree with you on both your main points Yes there is too much rubbish in here
and to save embarressment i won't mention the second point.

Maybe the Post buttons should have a short delay built in with a return Popup along the lines of

'Do you really wish to post this Drivel?' 'yes' 'NO'

This may cut out some of the dead weight.

Personally the last thing I think before I press the button to send is - is this really worth saying, do I feel the need to say it in public and will I get away with it if I do?

Today has been quite a good day though a good thread of Gus's or Jivecats cant remember who started it and there was the one about dancing in the midlands - it was information worth saying on both.

Maybe it's about time Frank did the unspeakable and added a Java Chatroom. Then all the pingpong messages could go in there.

Okay trousers' posting check list time

is this really worth saying erm yeah
do I feel the need to say it in public oh yeah deffo on that me old mucka
will I get away with it if I do who cares nobody reads my posts anyway

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2006, 08:13 PM
It's the pointless drivel masquerading as humour that gets to me... :(

Oi, I havent posted in ages :) Ive been, like, busy donchaknow.

To my mind it's not as funny as it once was

Much less about wiggles and trees.

Personally I overdosed on orange juice last september and it has affected the left hand humour side of my brain. Also since ESG has been at the forefront of the NFM (new forum movement), I realised theres a requirement to be smart AND funny.

I have now turned my chair to face the wall, I continually dribble down my 100% cotton non-ironable shirt and I only venture outside on Tuesdays....

but I did dream I appeared as Superman in front of hundreds of screaming fans.

SECRETSPY
31st-March-2006, 06:53 PM
Having read through most of the threads on this forum It seams to me that there are a lot of old fuddy duddy people who like to moan a lot about whatever they see.

If someone wants to be serious and talk about dance - there is located a special thread for dancing.

If they then want to learn about beginners moves or intermediate moves learning tips as they go, there are specialist threads for that also

If they want to be learning about different types of music what is played etc there is a DJ Corner

Then if people want to discover different venues or find out what is happening where there is also a thread about that also.

However if someone wants to talk drivel or general chit chat and have a laugh and a joke there is the chit chat thread

so IMHO STOP MOANING WHEN PEOPLE USE THE FORUM FOR WHAT IT IS MEANT FOR:cheers:

thewacko
31st-March-2006, 10:50 PM
Having read through most of the threads on this forum ~snip~
Despite me doing what LMC wanted with the snip thing I must agree with you on this one:cheers: :clap:

Ghost
31st-March-2006, 11:56 PM
Having read through most of the threads on this forum It seams to me that there are a lot of old fuddy duddy people who like to moan a lot about whatever they see.
sticks head above parapet
To be fair I don't think LMC falls into this category. Yes there are those who walk dangeously close to trolling. This thread seems quite heartfelt to me and makes reasonable points.

snip - valid stuff

However if someone wants to talk drivel or general chit chat and have a laugh and a joke there is the chit chat thread
But what if they talk drivel in the other sections? But that's my arguement - see here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7071)
not LMC's

All she's said is

# posts which quote the previous enormously long post and just add - I've seen an awful lot of those recently. If you must quote to make it clear what you're laughing at, then SNIP IT - or better still, don't bother posting - why do we need to know you're laughing? If all you've got to say is then that's what the positive rep system is for.
Snipping is pretty standard net and email ettiquette

Personally I like :rofl: as I view the Forum as kind of a bar - people laughing at jokes is part of the discussion

# posts which don't add ANYTHING whatsoever to the discussion as they only mean something to the person who they are obviously aimed at
Again I think this is a fair point - I've done it twice I think and both times expected the other person to run with it and explain the joke (and both times they didn't so I've stopped doing it :blush: )

You do realise caps means 'shouting' right? :tears:

Ultimately the choice is down to the Moderators which I suspect is why LMC started this thread. They've remained silent so far which is interesting.

Live and let live. I don't know what the right answer is or even if there is a right answer, but I've got to admire the lady for caring enough to do this :worthy:

And no, I'm not gonna scrap over this, so any witty pedantic comments aimed at this post will be sadly wasted on me.

Take care,
Christopher

Gadget
1st-April-2006, 12:23 AM
Has anyone actually read this version of the Forum FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)? :rolleyes:
{More "what is", and "what to post" advice than a technical "how?"}

I think most of the things in post 1 (and some others) are covered.

Tazmanian Devil
1st-April-2006, 12:38 AM
Ultimately the choice is down to the Moderators which I suspect is why LMC started this thread. They've remained silent so far which is interesting.
*cough* One very delightful moderator has posted here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217364&postcount=5) :respect:

Ghost
1st-April-2006, 12:55 AM
*cough* One very delightful moderator has posted here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217364&postcount=5) :respect:
Opps sorry Lory - Forum Bombshell then Queen and all - never knew you were a moderator as well :worthy:

Has anyone actually read this version of the Forum FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)? :rolleyes:
{More "what is", and "what to post" advice than a technical "how?"}

I think most of the things in post 1 (and some others) are covered.
Yep - nice work :worthy: . Begs the question though if people aren't following the "suggestions" in the FAQ should the Moderators start moderating?

Thanks
Christopher

drathzel
4th-April-2006, 11:09 PM
So was anything ever decided? (is it ever?)

ducasi
5th-April-2006, 12:35 AM
So was anything ever decided? (is it ever?)
Yes, Lynn agreed to stop posting so much drivel!

That's one down, 1,942 to go...

:wink:

drathzel
5th-April-2006, 12:38 AM
Yes, Lynn agreed to stop posting so much drivel!

That's one down, 1,942 to go...

:wink:

i think i might be posting enough for both of us!:D :respect:

Lynn
5th-April-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes, Lynn agreed to stop posting so much drivel! Didn't know I posted drivel. :(

I did say I would try to post less uninteresting things. (Of course I think tango is very interesting so I'm still posting on those threads.) But I am posting less, guess I need to cut back even more...

Gojive
5th-April-2006, 12:15 PM
I guess what this thread really shows, is that there is no right way for a forum to go. It seems we all want similar things, but in different quantities perhaps.

IMO though, it does no harm to be reminded from time to time, of what others would like to see/not see on the forum ...it certainly helps me think a little more about what I post!

:flower:

Tessalicious
5th-April-2006, 12:17 PM
I've stayed away from this thread as I didn't want to get into any arguments, I haven't been in the mood. But, since I'm feeling brave today, I would like to put forward a theory:

- that there are indeed several individuals, who almost certainly know who they are, who insist on diverting every single thread, even the useful and technically interesting ones, to random chat;

- that although this thread and its initiator have received some flack for alerting everyone to this and asking for it to be reduced, it has had an effect on stopping several people from posting off-topic;

- and that the people that have completely stopped posting off-topic are mostly not the people at whom this thread was aimed, but rather the long-term interesting posters whose input has been sadly reduced by the sheer effort of sifting through the meaningless stuff.
I see no reason for the forum to loose any of its silly/lovey/trivial stuff, it just needs to be put in the right place!...I think makes the point that the forum is a social place, it is great to see friendships being forged, forumite invasions being organised, rep being tarted for, people being teased, - but not in threads where people who want to learn something about dance or music are trying to discuss things with people whose input is rare but priceless. If these discussions always dissolve into random chat, what is the point in having separate sections for 'Chit chat' and 'Fun and games' on what is, still, a dance forum?

Lou
5th-April-2006, 12:17 PM
But I am posting less, guess I need to cut back even more...
Oi you! :hug: Don't talk such nonsense. I like your posts. Especially those about shoes. :D Please post more about shoes.

If anything, the result of this thread was that I started posting far more drivel. But that's because I'm a mulish MOG. :whistle:

philsmove
5th-April-2006, 12:29 PM
I don’t know if this is possible

Can one search or filter, for post with a high number of reps

This would allow people who only visit the forum every other day to find posts other people found interesting

Lou
5th-April-2006, 12:46 PM
I don’t know if this is possible

Can one search or filter, for post with a high number of reps

This would allow people who only visit the forum every other day to find posts other people found interesting
Even if it would be possible, it wouldn't necessarily work as you hope, Phil.

Weirdly, it seems I get more rep for the pointless throwaway posts, than I do for the ones where I'm trying to make a serious point. :rolleyes:

ducasi
5th-April-2006, 02:01 PM
Didn't know I posted drivel. :( Sorry Lynn, I was only joking. :hug:

But thinking back, the only people I recall who promised to do anything (except LMC) was you and I saying we'd post "less uninteresting, boring stuff", which I just summarised as "drivel", as that seems to be the keyword of this thread...

Unfortunately, you don't really rank that highly in the drivel stakes...

Sorry. :flower:

Donna
5th-April-2006, 02:06 PM
Me post lots of DRIVEEEELLL!! :drool:

Barry Shnikov
5th-April-2006, 06:54 PM
Even if it would be possible, it wouldn't necessarily work as you hope, Phil.

Weirdly, it seems I get more rep for the pointless throwaway posts, than I do for the ones where I'm trying to make a serious point. :rolleyes:

(Claps hand over mouth. ~~must not make barbed comments...mmmmph~~)

thewacko
5th-April-2006, 10:24 PM
I guess what this thread really shows, is that there is no right way for a forum to go. It seems we all want similar things, but in different quantities perhaps.

IMO though, it does no harm to be reminded from time to time, of what others would like to see/not see on the forum ...it certainly helps me think a little more about what I post!

:flower:
:yeah:

hee hee hee hee

Lou
6th-April-2006, 06:48 AM
(Claps hand over mouth. ~~must not make barbed comments...mmmmph~~)

Barry, you're sounding a little muffled there, Dearheart. Did you say something of interest?

BTW, the gag and restraint suits you. :flower:

Lynn
8th-April-2006, 11:46 AM
But thinking back, the only people I recall who promised to do anything (except LMC) was you and I saying we'd post "less uninteresting, boring stuff", which I just summarised as "drivel", as that seems to be the keyword of this thread...

Unfortunately, you don't really rank that highly in the drivel stakes...

Sorry. :flower:'Fraid I do.

But I'm posting less, and I know I have still posted some needless posts in the past few days *shrug* I guess we all do and that's fine.

But I notice as someone post less, they interact with others on here less, and I think the forum community is about interaction and discussion. So if I'm not interacting with other forumites either via posts or PM then there isn't much point in me being here anyway.

ducasi
8th-April-2006, 11:51 AM
'Fraid I do. I couldn't agree less. Keep posting Lynn. :flower:

philsmove
1st-May-2006, 09:59 AM
People hijacking serious threads with trivia is bad enough
But there is now a new and dangerous threat to this forum
The highjacking of silly threads with serious stuff

…….. Consider:

y = 2z

as z tends to infinity, y tends to 2x infinity... in which case we can say that

as z tends to infinity:

z - y = infinity
y - z = negative infinity

……..:

as Scotty would say

Ma barins...ma poor barins.

ducasi
1st-May-2006, 12:39 PM
Ma barins...ma poor barins. What's a barin? :confused:

philsmove
1st-May-2006, 01:05 PM
What's a barin? :confused:

My ..brain .my poor brain.

Ghost
2nd-May-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm just a thought, but what if it was agreed to post off-topic / banter / drivel in a different colour font. That way people reading texts could skip over it. For example it should be fairly easy to read

This line and yet completely ignore

this paragraph which I now need to fil with some waffle. Um, Oh I don't know. Stuff. It's an example ok, it's not meant to be coherent. Look alright I'll add in infinity - happy now?

Thoughts?
Christopher

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 01:09 PM
Not a bad idea, though RED maybe isn't the best choice.

:)

Ghost
2nd-May-2006, 01:40 PM
Not a bad idea, though RED maybe isn't the best choice.

:)

Yeah - something legible but distinct from black

Example text Example text Example text Example text

Serious text would go in here and then you'd ignore

More serious text would go in here and then you'd ignore

You'd continue with more serious text would here and then you'd ignore

Even more serious text would go in here and then you'd ignore

And yet more serious text would go in here and then you'd ignore

Any colour preference?

Take care
Christopher

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 02:02 PM
Any colour preference? Gray.

Ghost
2nd-May-2006, 02:13 PM
Gray.

Ok let's give this a go. Thanks Ducasi for making a well reasoned and informed decision. I suppose the obvious question to consider is are others willing to adapt to this convention?

And now for some utterly pointless stuff - but hey, it's in grey so who cares. If you don't want to read this, just skip ahead to the black text. You've only yourself to blame at this point. I feel a need to mention smurfs.

I actually prefer the dark orchid colour personally (cool name too). But I don't think people really use either it or gray so both make sense.

Which looks like this. blah blah blah. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mind you having just previewed it, grey is less distracting, but a bit harder to read. Any other thoughts?
:cheers:
Christopher

Gojive
2nd-May-2006, 02:48 PM
I think this is an excellent idea!

I'd guess that at least 80% of my posting here is humour, and I'm well aware from the rep I've received that whilst many seem to like it, there are undoubtedly many others that don't.

I'll give it a go with my posts from now on :cheers:

ducasi
2nd-May-2006, 03:47 PM
If you don't want to read this, just skip ahead to the black text. Well as none of the text is black (in "Metallic (Wide)" style), I didn't bother reading the rest of your post. :wink:

BTW, what colour should on-topic replies to off-topic comments be? And if that goes off-topic?

Ghost
2nd-May-2006, 04:00 PM
BTW, what colour should on-topic replies to off-topic comments be? And if that goes off-topic?
Do I have to think of everything? :wink:

Be Well,
Christopher

Gadget
2nd-May-2006, 07:29 PM
Gray.
I prefer Silver - although perhaps it blends in with the background a bit too much?

Ghost
3rd-May-2006, 12:05 AM
I prefer Silver - although perhaps it blends in with the background a bit too much?
Hey you write the FAQ :worthy: I'm concious though that a lot of CPU users have enough trouble without addig more eyestrain, so Grey would get my vote (plus try reading the quote of what you wrote :sick: )

Same thing in grey looks like

And to answer Ducasi's question you make serious replies to banter points in black. You carry on banter in Silver or Grey - depending on the Powers that Be's decision.

Be Well,
Christopher