PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Dance Fever - Series II

Gojive
27th-March-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi folks!

Well that time is upon us once more!...time for SDF again :clap:

The show will again be hosted by Graham Norton, but the back up show (Strictly Dance Fever on Three) will be fronted by June Sarpong.

Here's the first schedule then, to get things going...

SDF The Show, Sat 1st Apr, BBC1, 19:00 - 20:05
SDF on Three, Sat 1st Apr, BBC3, 20:05 - 20:50
SDF Results, Sat 1st Apr, BBC1, 21:30 - 22:00

Enjoy! :waycool:

ElaineB
28th-March-2006, 08:55 AM
Hurrah! What have I been doing all these weeks..........:whistle:

Any MJ peeps in there this time?

Elaine

Will
28th-March-2006, 10:53 AM
Stevie Wong and Donna got through to the second round again :respect:

Lynn
28th-March-2006, 11:03 AM
A local* salsa teacher got through most of the way, did the workshops in London etc, but not to the final group for the show itself. He did however get offered a years scholarship for a dance college in London.

*As in lived and taught in Belfast, not actually from here!

Donna
28th-March-2006, 11:35 AM

Thanks will! I'm dreading it being shown though reason being I simply don't trust the production team! Everything that is on that tape they can easily mix it all up and then make it seem like something it wasn't, just to make you look a complete ass! Of course, they won't care because they just want to make good TV at the end of the day and make sure that the viewers increase every week. The public just LOVE watching people get slated on national TV!

The problem is, when you're there you meet loads of nice people and the production team make you feel comfortable, so much, you tend to forget the cameras are there and THATS when you might end up saying something that you wish you hadn't or done something! You have to be so careful and try not to let your self go to much to give them something to use and make you look an idiot. E.G... Graham Norton recognised us from last year and when asked by one of the crew how we think we've improved and what the possibilities of us getting further than last year are, (awkward questions!!!! :angry: ) to which I replied, 'Last years auditions encouraged us to try out many other styles of dancing and we feel more confident this time! So HOPEFULLY (a word which everybody uses when asked this question:o ) we'll get further but we'll see. Then Steve says, ' Yeah! I'm the Darius of SDF!!!!!:eek: Aaaahhhhh! :blush:

However they did change the rules this time as last year we got through two auditions and got through to the workshops. We learnt Salsa with Joseph Koniak (who has done choreography for people like Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue and Justin Timberlake etc etc and is titled 'The Salsa King'. He's also a famous hairdresser) Then we learnt Hip Hop with Kevin who again has worked with the top stars, and Ballroom Jive with Vanessa... who was a bit scary at first but she was in fact alright!

This year, we got through to the second audition, which meant having to dance in front of Arlene Phillips, Wayne Sleep, Stacy Haines and Ben Richards. yikes! :eek: After a long agonising wait in a long thin corridor waiting for our results :angry: (think the 70 year old bloke who went in before us must have telling them his whole life story!!!:angry: But I'll come back to that in a mo) Eventually! Graham opened the door led us in front of the panel, and they gave Steve such a hard time!!!! It wasn't constructive criticism at all and what they said would be enough to put people off for life! It's not fair and shouldn't be allowed! But what do they care, so long as it makes good TV and they're getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for it, why should they care about hurting peoples feelings??!!!

Going back to the 70 year old man....(this shows just how cruel they are) the production team put him through the first one and I thought wow he must be good at something... but, when I asked him how long he has danced for, he replied, 'Oh I've never danced before!' :eek: The poor guy!!! Basically he thought that it was like Strictly Come Dancing when none experienced dancers are taught by pros and have to perform live on TV! He also explained this to the panel in his 1st audition and they still insisted on putting him through!!!! :angry: HOW EEEEVVVILLLL!!! :angry:

Anyway it was still a good experience, a good weekend and met loads of nice people. Not sure Steve wants to do it next year though (if there is one) but I think I might want to have another crack at it.

David Franklin
28th-March-2006, 12:01 PM
Good account Donna, thanks for posting it!

Going back to the 70 year old man....(this shows just how cruel they are) the production team put him through the first one and I thought wow he must be good at something... but, when I asked him how long he has danced for, he replied, 'Oh I've never danced before!' :eek: The poor guy!!! Basically he thought that it was like Strictly Come Dancing when none experienced dancers are taught by pros and have to perform live on TV! He also explained this to the panel in his 1st audition and they still insisted on putting him through!!!! :angry: HOW EEEEVVVILLLL!!! :angry: When they were promoting the auditions for this series, Graham Norton was saying "You don't have to have had training, you don't need to have danced before; we want you to enter and have a go". When it was blatantly clear that the truth was "we want people who don't dance to enter so we can take the p*ss out of them".

I'm actually torn whether I'm going to watch this series - I want to see the dancers, but the program is so small-spirited and built on putting people down that it really puts me off.

Donna
28th-March-2006, 12:17 PM
Good account Donna, thanks for posting it!
When they were promoting the auditions for this series, Graham Norton was saying "You don't have to have had training, you don't need to have danced before; we want you to enter and have a go". When it was blatantly clear that the truth was "we want people who don't dance to enter so we can take the p*ss out of them".

I'm actually torn whether I'm going to watch this series - I want to see the dancers, but the program is so small-spirited and built on putting people down that it really puts me off.

It's very clear that for this sort of audition, you DO have to have some sort of dance experience and even then, some of those are bound to have the p*ss taken out of them let alone those who have no experience what so ever! To say you don't have to be experienced is bang out of order and of course it's just so people can laugh at them.

It's the same with any of these talent programmes though.. look at pop idol! I entered it in 2001 and as I read the form, it says you don't have to be an experienced singer and that anybody could just go along and give it a go. It was quite funny though when we were waiting outside the audition rooms as behind the wall, it sounded more like a farm!!! Dreadful! I got through two auditions on that too and it was tough even up to that point! Of course it's pretty obvious that the only ones who are going to succeed in any of the these talent shows, are those who have got years of experience under their belts. Unfortunately, you can't stop those who think they are good. It's almost like an illness for one to start singing, and in their head they sound good, but on the outside, sound more like a strangled cat! Same with dancing. You get those who feel good and are told by very few people (who most probably haven't got a clue anyway!) that they are good and of course, it all goes to their head! Such a shame....

Gojive
28th-March-2006, 12:30 PM
Donna,

Thankyou for that very interesting and very enlightening account.

:cheers:

Donna
28th-March-2006, 12:32 PM
Donna,

Thankyou for that very interesting and very enlightening account.

:cheers:

You're very welcome! :cheers:

Donna
28th-March-2006, 02:16 PM
So, how many of you are going to be watching it this year?

Gojive
28th-March-2006, 02:28 PM

Me me me me me! :D :waycool:

( I haven't missed a single Saturday show in any of the SCD or SDF series so far. In addition, I've only missed one of the 'behind the scenes' programmes over all the shows :blush: )

Donna
28th-March-2006, 02:52 PM
Me me me me me! :D :waycool:

( I haven't missed a single Saturday show in any of the SCD or SDF series so far. In addition, I've only missed one of the 'behind the scenes' programmes over all the shows :blush: )

Talking of behind the scenes... I was told that they weren't going to do it this year. Last year it was on BBC 3 (which we appeared on BBC 3 a few times, but, I didn't have BBC 3 then.. was always getting told my dance mates.....but I have it now though! :D) They only show so much on BBC 1 and we made a quick appearance on it but BBC 3 is better because otherwise a majority of the viewers wouldn't understand exactly how it worked before the live auditions.

Rhythm King
28th-March-2006, 03:24 PM
I will, when I'm around. I suppose it depends who's in it too. Last year I knew / had danced with two of the couples and a friend knew one of the other couples well, so I had a sense of involvement.

Dreadful Scathe
28th-March-2006, 03:43 PM

If you and Steve arent on it I dont think Ill bother :flower:

Donna
28th-March-2006, 03:44 PM
I will, when I'm around. I suppose it depends who's in it too. Last year I knew / had danced with two of the couples and a friend knew one of the other couples well, so I had a sense of involvement.

I suppose those who are really interested in this programme are those who enjoy dancing and those who are supporting others who are auditioning. Two girls we got on well with there got through to the workshops in London, one of them being from Liverpool. :clap: I don't know if she got any further than that and we bumped into her at the train station after but didn't exchange contacts or anything so will have to watch and find out. :rolleyes: In a way, I'm looking forward to it (only to nick some more HOT moves.

Stuart
28th-March-2006, 04:33 PM
Should anybody want to go to it:

Strictly Dance Fever BBC1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictly2.shtml)

Strictly Dance Fever BBC3 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictly.shtml)

Donna
28th-March-2006, 05:06 PM
If you and Steve arent on it I dont think Ill bother :flower:

Awww bless...:flower:

Donna
28th-March-2006, 06:15 PM
Should anybody want to go to it:

Strictly Dance Fever BBC1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictly2.shtml)

Strictly Dance Fever BBC3 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictly.shtml)

I'd like to go to one....but Graham would easily recognise us and I'm scared he might approach us!! (Even though we got on well with him there. He's really nice!) you never know what he might say or do when live! I just wouldn't be able to trust him! :rolleyes:

Ste
31st-March-2006, 01:16 AM

I kind of wish we hadn't got through just the first round as we didn't learn anything.

It wasn't like last year when we actually learnt loads of interesting stuff at the workshop on the second day.

I just got slagged off.

The problem is that leroc is really a freestyle dance. The ingenuity of it is fitting moves to music that you don't know that well. Therefore, because there are no reciprocal steps, it will ever look as good as say lindy, salsa or ballroom ie where there is a kind of mirroring. When you choreograph modern jive it will tend to look static for men because you will cut out a lot of men's steps so that the man is a kind of whiteboard for the woman to paint a picture. And as Bruce Lee said in Enter the Dragon " Boards don't fight back".
It is this lack of moevement that makes the man look poor and if you put a modern jive couple against a swing couple (whether lindy or ballroom jive) then the man would have to work very hard in his choreography to get past these judges.

After the unpleasantness of the experience, which was very upsetting, I was talking to one of the people who had been in the house and he told me not to worry. As I recall, he said that the judges had no idea of real partner dancing and, lead and follow.They were into choreography. He told me not to worry about the criticism but it doesn't matter what people say, words have incredibly destructive power.

For me, God spoke the world into being. Jesus spoke words of healing.

But these judges can speak a dance career into destruction.

Ste
31st-March-2006, 01:19 AM
By the way I saw Howard in the second round.

As someone who saw his enthusiasm in Cricklewood, when he was a near beginner, I was really proud of him.

fletch
31st-March-2006, 07:54 AM
GOOD LUCK STEVE & DONNA

:flower:

Donna
31st-March-2006, 10:25 AM
Uh oh.... I found out last night, that we have been shown on the adverts for SDF!!!:eek: :eek: Oh well, no point in carrying on wishing they won't show anything...cuz it looks like they're going to!!!!!:tears:

Ste
31st-March-2006, 11:04 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ste
31st-March-2006, 11:11 AM
GOOD LUCK STEVE & DONNA

:flower:

Erm thanks but we didn't even get through to the workshops (which is what we wanted to so that we could learn more styles). We were knocked out on the second day and the real reason I personally am posting here is as a form of therapy/ making excuses!

There should have been modern jive couples ( like Jane/Alex and Carole/Victor last year:clap: ) that got thru to the TV stage so good luck to them.

Donna
31st-March-2006, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Ste]Erm thanks but we didn't even get through to the workshops (which is what we wanted to so that we could learn more styles).

Not to worry! I've now got a new DVD 'Bognor 2006' which covers many styles! (including some taught routines and a cabaret off Joseph and Sadie) Some very sexy routines off a few other teachers too!!! Good moves for latin and blues music. Will have to work hard to try and memorise as much of these as possible! (UH NO EXCUSES!)

ducasi
1st-April-2006, 07:13 PM
Wee reminder – this is on now!!

Feelingpink
1st-April-2006, 10:13 PM
Wee reminder – this is on now!!The thing that seemed to be the biggest problem was the lack of men ... some things never change.

I didn't like the way the programme was setting up the guy Chris, who had been split from his girlfriend & dance partner - the programme seemed to be encouraging him to play while he was away. If I could neg rep the programme makers for that 'strategy', I would.

Jive Brummie
1st-April-2006, 10:19 PM
Seeing as you've already mentioned Chris...

Did people think he was as good as was being suggested? I'm reserving judgement on that one.

The couple that looked like the new Joseph & Sadie appeared very good...don't remember their names, but he was the guy who jumped about all over the place in a street stlyee!:worthy:

JB.

foxylady
1st-April-2006, 10:24 PM
I noticed in one frame, in the second show, when they were talking about all those that were being congratulated, Dave, who dances all around London.. He's not on the forum, and has a ballroom dancing background (in fact he still competes), but he used to always be at the jive bar on a weds, at ashtons on a fri, the casbah sometimes, fulham sometimes.... (NB he has tattoos almost as good as Jive Brummies)

I just wonder whether he has got through to next week, or whether it was just a 'good' shot to use in the montage..... Unfortunately as I'm going to be away in Thailand for a while I won't find out......

David Franklin
1st-April-2006, 10:51 PM
I didn't like the way the programme was setting up the guy Chris, who had been split from his girlfriend & dance partner - the programme seemed to be encouraging him to play while he was away. If I could neg rep the programme makers for that 'strategy', I would.Grotesque, isn't it? Plus some people were clearly only put through 'cos it's good telly. While others were clearly paired up with Mr/Mrs-totally-unsuitable just to set up some fiireworks.

JB: I was very surprised by the way they all gushed over Chris. I didn't think he was that great, and I think if a MJ dancer had danced like that they'd have crucified him for posture, projection, etc. rather than saying "ooh, you could be from Cuba". :rolleyes:

From what I've seen so far, it seems even more obvious in this series that they aren't really after partner dancers at all - do they even understand true partner dancing? Arlene's comment "you need to be strong, you have to lead" doesn't exactly imply a good understanding of lead/follow.

Also, we had the reappearance of Chris Marques and Jaclyn Spencer (the ones who did the "epileptic fit" dance demo in SCD3). What exactly is this world salsa title they've won? They don't exactly rock my world, I'm afraid.

I did like the look of the brother and sister pair - but what are they going to do when Arlene starts going all menopausal on them and insisting on "sex, sex, sex!"?

Lory
1st-April-2006, 11:05 PM
I noticed a shot of a fellow cerocer that I've danced with. I don't know his name and don't think he's on the forum. In the clip he was wearing a blue T-shirt and practising leading or following with another man.

I do like the show and I know i'll look forward to it every week BUT the editing of the show really annoys me.

1. I want to see more of the actual dancing, we see a lot of the judges reactions, without being able to see what they're judging
2. like FP said, they seem to be trying to create 'situations and scandal'
3. It was clear from Arlene's remarks today, that some formal training is what's expected and all the others are just there to be made fun of! :(
4. over the next few weeks I hope we get to see more of the lessons and practice, we saw hardly any last year.

Personally I'm rooting for the 38year old woman, she's gutsy and full of enthusiasm, I hope she gets a chance to really shine! :clap:

WittyBird
1st-April-2006, 11:09 PM
I didn't like the way the programme was setting up the guy Chris, who had been split from his girlfriend & dance partner - the programme seemed to be encouraging him to play while he was away. If I could neg rep the programme makers for that 'strategy', I would.

I agree, the comments made were IMO unnecessary ' Chris partnered with a model dancer', then deliberately showing clips of him with his arms around her chatting. In poor taste I thought.

ducasi
2nd-April-2006, 02:20 AM
... do they even understand true partner dancing? Arlene's comment "you need to be strong, you have to lead" doesn't exactly imply a good understanding of lead/follow. I thought that too, though if they're expecting the guys to be doing (some amount of) aerials with their partner, as they did last year, then the "need to be strong" bit makes more sense.

I've only seen bits of the first programme so-far, but I recognised at least one or two of the "too many girls" in Edinburgh.

Were Donna and Steve shown at all?

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-April-2006, 10:50 AM
I ended up watching it, even though I ad better things I could be doing. I found it quite frustrating - its turned into the x-factor.

Last year: Auditions were run by the 'mentors' that presented the dancers to the judges and although they did show plenty bad dancers and funny moments, the emphasis was on the good dancers. The show was also, for its genre, original in its execution.

This Year: The famous faces now do the auditions, no doubt after some unphotogenic people have picked some hopefuls for them first. Which begs the question - why do these judges still get bad dancers? easy answer - they think thats what the public wants - people who think they have talent being ridiculed. Dunno about anyone else, but Im not interested in that. The show this year is a clone of the x-factor so far. When the finalists go into the big house I'm sure we can expect the maximum in big brother style in your face moments and encouragement of tears, tantrums and sex. It was never enough to just show 'dancing' was it :rolleyes: :(

Georgious dancer
2nd-April-2006, 10:59 AM
I agree with a lot of the comments above, but like I said to my fellow viewers/dancers the people producing it are most likely not dancers themselves and are purely focused on making 'good' TV and at the end of the day many of the viewers will also be non-dancers and watching for a totally different reason to ourselves.

Having said that I still think what they are doing with Chris is just plain wrong. I can't remember what his girlfriends name was, but is it not bad enough that she didn't get through when she so wanted to that they now have to go and set Chris up with the 'Model' girl! And as for rating him as a dancer I didn't think he was anything special!

As for the criticism, if it can be called that! Well it got me rather angry. I am all for constructive criticism in any aspect of life, after all without it reaching our full potential is much harder, but some of the comments from the judges were just plan insults!

I'm not sure if you guys have ever read 'Instructions for Life' but Number 8 reads: Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.

Well I think this is so true, everyone that went to those auditions did so because they were passionate about there dance and had a dream. Not getting through would have been bad enough for them let alone walking out with there dreams totally destroyed!

Still, although I am not a big TV watcher I will probably watch the rest of this series! You never know the judges may even master the skill of constructive criticism!

Baruch
2nd-April-2006, 01:29 PM
You never know the judges may even master the skill of constructive criticism!I can't see that happening, myself. That's the main thing that really turns me off these programmes. Just once it would be nice to have a panel of constructive, positive judges. They could sack Arlene Phillips for a start.

ducasi
2nd-April-2006, 01:56 PM
Last year: Auditions were run by the 'mentors' that presented the dancers to the judges ...

This Year: The famous faces now do the auditions ... I noticed that last year they had multiple audition rooms, each with one "mentor" – and it took a day to get through everyone... And a second day to decide who had the necessary skill to go through to the London heats.

This year they have all the judges in one room, but it seemed to take just one day to see everyone, and the ones chosen go straight to London.

From that I deduce that the number of people who entered this year was probably less than a quarter of the number from last year. Maybe much less.

I wonder why...

I guess the thing is that unlike singing, it's very difficult to see if someone has a latent talent for dancing. And, again, compared to singing, there are probably many more amateur dancers who have received some amount of training. I think it's also fair to say that developing raw talent probably takes longer in a dancer that a singer.

The combination of these factors must make it very difficult to run a dance talent competition in the style of a singing talent competition.

I'm not sure what the point I'm trying to make is though... Except that the producers should never have expected untrained dancers to pass the auditions. I think they might have made that mistake last year, but probably didn't this year.

Nevertheless, some ill-advisted folks entered, thinking that their supposed or actual latent talent would shine through, and they could be turned into expert dancers in the space of a couple of months.

While we may be appalled at the mocking of these people, would we feel the same if their dreams weren't so close to our own?

David Franklin
2nd-April-2006, 02:24 PM
This year they have all the judges in one room, but it seemed to take just one day to see everyone, and the ones chosen go straight to London.

From that I deduce that the number of people who entered this year was probably less than a quarter of the number from last year. Maybe much less.I don't know how it compares to last year, but according to the bbc website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/dancefever/news/2006/04/01/30853.shtml):

Over 80,000 turned up at the six regional auditions - and all had just two minutes to impress our judges - Arlene Phillips, Wayne Sleep, Stacey Haynes and Ben Richards.
Now that's 13000 people per regional audition. Even if we suppose they were all couples (from the footage, most weren't), that's over 6000 routines to judge. At 2 minutes each, that's 12000 minutes or 200 hours. I don't see any way the initial screening could be done by just 4 judges. So the impression the BBC gives must be misleading. Quelle surprise!

Nevertheless, some ill-advisted folks entered, thinking that their supposed or actual latent talent would shine through, and they could be turned into expert dancers in the space of a couple of months.

While we may be appalled at the mocking of these people, would we feel the same if their dreams weren't so close to our own?To repeat an earlier post, I think a key issue is the BBC actively encouraged people with no dance experience to enter, saying it didn't matter.

Of course, it's true to say we probably identify with the competitors on SDF more than we do those on Pop Idol. But I also think the dancers' dreams are somewhat more modest. Even if they win, what do they get? A short career working hard as members of a dance troupe, where even if they are really successful, they could probably have earned more money doing a "normal" job. There's just not the same "hoping to be handed a winning lottery ticket" vibe I get from Pop Idol et. al. Yes, there are exceptions in both directions. The "mouthy" guy last night came across to me as "no, I can't dance, but I'll do anything to get on TV". That the dance judges decided to put him through says it all really.

Andy McGregor
2nd-April-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't believe the numbers of entrants the BBC is quoting. After all 13,000 people turning up to an audition would require a football stadium as the waiting room! I expect that Donna could give us an idea of how many there were at her audition.

My guess is that the number of entrants was down this year. Although the only bit of evidence I have is that we had two people from SCD at Bognor in January and they were trying to persuade people to enter - and this was only a couple of weeks before the closing date.

Paul F
2nd-April-2006, 11:49 PM
I guess the thing is that unlike singing, it's very difficult to see if someone has a latent talent for dancing. And, again, compared to singing, there are probably many more amateur dancers who have received some amount of training. I think it's also fair to say that developing raw talent probably takes longer in a dancer that a singer.

I think I understand what you are saying but Im not sure if I agree.
Im not certain whether it is possible to develop raw talent. I see raw talent as an inherent quality that cannot be taught. I suppose its the classic nature vs. nurture debate with arguments for and against.
As for the numbers of amateur singers and dancers, I have no idea how many there are.
The point about recognising talent in singing being easier than dancing, again, I have to disagree. After having dated a singer studying at a major school in London I came to realise (whether I wanted to or not :rolleyes: ) that there are so many complexities that go to make up a vocalist. I was repeatedly told about how few people there are who can truly recognise such talent.
When I began my first intensive dance lessons with Vincent Simone he spent the first few lessons trying to explain to me how to recognise 'a dancer'. Admittedly he highlighted what HE thought a dancer was which could differ from what others think but a large proportion of what he said could be used, in the right hands, to recognise ability. This is all based on individual styles of course.
Ultimately I dont think its fair to say that one is easier to recognise than the other.

ducasi
3rd-April-2006, 12:12 AM
I think I understand what you are saying but Im not sure if I agree. Let's see...

Im not certain whether it is possible to develop raw talent. I see raw talent as an inherent quality that cannot be taught. I suppose its the classic nature vs. nurture debate with arguments for and against. I agree.

As for the numbers of amateur singers and dancers, I have no idea how many there are. Nor me, but I see lots of dance classes and such advertised, I don't see so many singing classes...

The point about recognising talent in singing being easier than dancing, again, I have to disagree. After having dated a singer studying at a major school in London I came to realise (whether I wanted to or not :rolleyes: ) that there are so many complexities that go to make up a vocalist. I was repeatedly told about how few people there are who can truly recognise such talent. I'd have thought anybody with a natural talent for singing would be able to readily demonstrate it by just singing. I guess there are complexities over and above that... Maybe it's easier to spot someone who doesn't have a natural talent for singing.

When I began my first intensive dance lessons with Vincent Simone he spent the first few lessons trying to explain to me how to recognise 'a dancer'. Admittedly he highlighted what HE thought a dancer was which could differ from what others think but a large proportion of what he said could be used, in the right hands, to recognise ability. This is all based on individual styles of course. My point is that although it's possible to have raw talent as a dancer, it possible that it has never been developed. So while everyone has spent a childhood singing, and if they have a talent, it should be recognisable to the expert ear; when it comes to dancing, that talent may never have been exercised to any degree before. And so it is much harder to demonstrate, and thus have recognised this natural ability.

The MJ world has many talented individuals who "never danced before", but who discovered they had a natural ability only once they had it brought out of them with a little bit of instruction.

Ultimately I dont think its fair to say that one is easier to recognise than the other. You may be right, but I haven't changed my mind.

robd
3rd-April-2006, 11:49 AM
I came to realise (whether I wanted to or not :rolleyes: ) that there are so many complexities that go to make up a vocalist. I was repeatedly told about how few people there are who can truly recognise such talent.

There's something that amuses me in the juxtaposition of these sentences but I can't put my finger on it.

Donna
3rd-April-2006, 11:52 AM
Well what can I say!! :eek: This one is crap! :mad: I found the ones who couldn't dance more entertaining! You know that old guy I was talking about? Well he was on live on BBC 3 with June on Sat night! Also, the lady in her 70's is one of my ballroom teachers students and we were told about her by the production team. She and her daughter (or grand daughter entered together) and the the old lady got through!!!! The other girl was absolutely devastated!!! :rofl: (As you would be!) I found the guy in the white John Travolta suit very amusing! Also the spirit dancer!! :eek: (what on EARTH was all that about????!!!!! :rofl: ) I especially liked the tax man who spent the first minute of his performance clicking in time to the music and then eventually starting off with (what he thought) was a fox trot!!! :rofl: I had tears in my eyes from beginning to end! However, I think the ones who are going to succeed here is 'Clive'. Don't know if any of you will remember, but he's the one who Jill Halfpenny and Darren went to at the pineapple studios for a bit of salsa training. Also, the black guy who done some seriously HOT street dancing and the couple who are brother and sister. All the others are rubbish. (well, what I've seen so far is rubbish) There is more to come next week so fingers crossed we won't be shown this time! (We did appear in the background, but that was all! Phew!)

robd
3rd-April-2006, 12:03 PM
I watched the opening show and one aspect that made me think was when they were being dismissive of men who danced in what they considered a feminine style saying something like 'bad male dancers are wimps' and need to lead, etc. Yet I don't know how, with auditions set up as they are, a male dancer who comes along without a partner can possibly demonstrate an ability to lead?

Robert

Tessalicious
3rd-April-2006, 12:13 PM
I didn't watch much of the programme but was disappointed by what I did see - originally this was advertised as a vehicle for finding the next generation of great dancers, not yet another way of making less-than-talented hopefuls make a fool of themselves on TV. This change of tack might explain why Donna and Steve weren't really shown - you're just not bad enough to appeal to the general public!

It would make much more sense, IMHO, if they ran two separate, or only partly linked, competitions - one for various styles of partner dance, with the partner you auditioned with or another suitable partner, and the other catering for the solo dancers, who've never partner-danced in their lives but can do amazing things on their own. From that you'd get a variety of winners, and perhaps be able to offer prizes that actually correlate with the individual talents of the dancers and the training developed during the competition. At the moment, the whole thing comes across as something that was invented by a group of non-dancers, where even the dancers and choreographers judging it don't really know what they're supposed to be looking for, and as a result it becomes a bit of a shambles without being particularly rewarding for anyone to take part in or watch.

Donna
3rd-April-2006, 04:38 PM
I watched the opening show and one aspect that made me think was when they were being dismissive of men who danced in what they considered a feminine style saying something like 'bad male dancers are wimps' and need to lead, etc. Yet I don't know how, with auditions set up as they are, a male dancer who comes along without a partner can possibly demonstrate an ability to lead?

Robert

We met Paul and Natasha at the Auditions last month, and Paul told me the guys don't have to be able to lead. What the viewers don't realise is that they are actually dancing on their own. It's only because it's a choreographed routine every week that no lead or follow is needed. He said he didn't really learn much from it last year.

Robin
6th-April-2006, 01:42 AM
BTW did people know that we have series one winners doing a special class on the 17th May at Stevenage ?

Donna
6th-April-2006, 09:47 AM
BTW did people know that we have series one winners doing a special class on the 17th May at Stevenage ?

You'll love that one then!! Sadie is such a fantastic choreographer. I'm sure they've got something really exciting lined up for you.

Gojive
7th-April-2006, 12:35 PM
Here's the TV schedule for this Saturday:

SDF The Show, Sat 8th Apr, BBC1, 18:55 - 19:55
SDF on Three, Sat 8th Apr, BBC3, 19:55 - 20:40
SDF The Show, Sat 8th Apr, BBC1, 21:20 - 21:55

This week, we see the dancers reduced to the final 10 couples.

Donna
7th-April-2006, 02:21 PM
Here's the TV schedule for this Saturday:

SDF The Show, Sat 8th Apr, BBC1, 18:55 - 19:55
SDF on Three, Sat 8th Apr, BBC3, 19:55 - 20:40
SDF The Show, Sat 8th Apr, BBC1, 21:20 - 21:55

This week, we see the dancers reduced to the final 10 couples.

Boy you are keen! Keeping us updated like this! :clap:

FirstMove
8th-April-2006, 08:38 PM
You'd think in an hour of television which was based around learning 3 dance routines they might have the decency to show us the routines at some point :angry: :mad:

clevedonboy
8th-April-2006, 11:10 PM
Darren the Line dancer looked good - of course my opinion is not affected by the fact that his sister teaches us WCS

Baruch
8th-April-2006, 11:23 PM
You'd think in an hour of television which was based around learning 3 dance routines they might have the decency to show us the routines at some point :angry: :mad:If the programme was actually about dancing, you'd have a point. Personally, I think the dancing is just an excuse to get people to sign up for the programme so the general public can voyeuristically enjoy yet another portion of rudeness and abuse directed at the competitors from the panel, a la Pop Idol.

I think the world has more than enough negative "reality" programmes as it is. Why can't they do a show that actually does focus on people's dancing and treats them fairly and constructively? :angry:

Feelingpink
9th-April-2006, 10:44 AM
Perhaps this is why I couldn't bring myself to watch SCD last night, even when I was home in time. :sad:

ducasi
9th-April-2006, 11:34 AM
I missed most of the first programme on BBC 1 last night, but saw the rest. I think that now they've got the auditions out of the way and selected their 10 couples, perhaps some of the unnecessary rudeness will go.

I don't remember any direct rudeness in the second BBC 1 programme when they picked the final 10 couples. It was just "yes" or "no".

Meanwhile, I've been having a wander round the web site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/)...

These appear to be the dances they're going to learn...

Charleston
Hustle
Jitterbug
Lambada
Lindyhop
Milonga
Rock and Roll
Salsa
American Smooth
Argentine Tango

Looking forward seeing them do pretty much all of these...

Anyone else done their quizzes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/fun/quizzes.shtml)?

I got 7/10 for their film and music quizzes, and despite knowing very little about musical theatre, I got 9/10 in that one. :confused:

ElaineB
9th-April-2006, 11:50 AM
I saw the editions for the new Airplane film last night. It seemed as though they had the usual format sorted - the singing nun, the little girl with a severe heart problem, the socially inept.....oh sorry, it was the auditions for SDF! :D

The 38 year old Lady looked good, yes, but I couldn't help thinking that there were better females out there. I was very pleased for her, as for a moment I thought they had decided to give an underdog (dance wise) a chance. Then at the end of the program, the penny dropped. They showed her going home in a very emotional state to say goodbye to her two little girls for the duration of the show and it appears that she had another daugher who died last year. My cynical side thinks that this choice was for the sympathy vote - well done the BBC! I am not sure that I want to continue watching.........

Elaine

jiveknight
9th-April-2006, 12:03 PM
If the programme was actually about dancing, you'd have a point. Personally, I think the dancing is just an excuse to get people to sign up for the programme so the general public can voyeuristically enjoy yet another portion of rudeness and abuse directed at the competitors from the panel, a la Pop Idol.

I think the world has more than enough negative "reality" programmes as it is. Why can't they do a show that actually does focus on people's dancing and treats them fairly and constructively? :angry:

Sounds like the modern equivilent of the Roman gladitorial games, but with slightly less blood...

Minnie M
9th-April-2006, 01:34 PM
....... My cynical side thinks that this choice was for the sympathy vote .....
:sad: yep, I thought that too :blush:

Baruch
9th-April-2006, 01:37 PM
Sounds like the modern equivilent of the Roman gladitorial games, but with slightly less blood...
Oh, I don't know -- at least gladiators were allowed to fight back.

Minnie M
9th-April-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a crew meeting with Ryan & Jenny Francois:respect: on Friday (at their home :clap: ) for their weekender "Camp Savoy" (I help them every year with Almost an Angel) so hopefully I will get some inside goss to put on the forum shortly :D

Ryan was wearing a Camp Savoy black & white tea shirt during the Jitterbug lesson they were teaching on Saturday - not sure if they realised that :innocent:

Ste
9th-April-2006, 02:36 PM
I think Clive will do well on the series.

He is known on the Latin American circuit and I think that I have footage of him practising at Pineapple. He is good but he doesn't win apparently.

Nevertheless on SDF, I think he will do very well.

I was discussing this with a Ballroom man who was in the top 20 in the world. He said that the standard was poor and if Latin American dancers had entered all 10 placews could have been taken up by Latin American couples. But they are so good I suppose people would think that they are professional.

Gojive
9th-April-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm very disappointed by the first two weeks so far :sad: To me, the whole thing seems very disjointed, and appears to be hastily put together. Sometimes we see long clips about some of the dancers, and sometimes it's just a quick "oh and that couple there made it through as well by the way"

I'm really struggling to remember who's in so far. Last series, we had regional dance-offs, where one or two couples were voted through by the judges. IIRC, we also saw clearly what their 'native' dance was?

I dunno, I just find this series a mess so far. Here's hoping things start to become more solid from next week!

Minnie M
9th-April-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm very disappointed by the first two weeks so far :sad: To me, the whole thing seems very disjointed, and appears to be hastily put together. Sometimes we see long clips about some of the dancers, and sometimes it's just a quick "oh and that couple there made it through as well by the way"

I'm really struggling to remember who's in so far. Last series, we had regional dance-offs, where one or two couples were voted through by the judges. IIRC, we also saw clearly what their 'native' dance was?

I dunno, I just find this series a mess so far. Here's hoping things start to become more solid from next week!
:yeah: I thought it was just me (another senior moment) :sad: but I agree, very confusing and would also love to know their base dance :rolleyes:

Lynn
9th-April-2006, 03:05 PM
I dunno, I just find this series a mess so far. Agree, I missed the first week and watched last night mainly because I was in, it was on etc. Of course we didn't actually see very much dancing. :mad: I liked the exercise to challenge the couples to create their own routine in 45 mins and I'm sure there was some good stuff, if we could have seen it.

I know there were a lot of couples at that stage and they couldn't show them all, but at no point in the programme were we the viewers shown enough of anyone's dancing to form any sort of opinion. We were shown people's arguments, tears, tantrums, attitudes, comments - but dancing?

I know all the rest is 'good television' but IMO the BBC are just making themselves look like they have no idea what they are doing - hard to believe the show comes from the same stable as Strictly Come Dancing.

Here's hoping things start to become more solid from next week!I'm very unimpressed so far. But I presume from next week we will be seeing the couples performing routines?

jivecat
9th-April-2006, 03:26 PM
Also, the lady in her 70's is one of my ballroom teachers students and we were told about her by the production team. She and her daughter (or grand daughter entered together) and the the old lady got through!!!! The other girl was absolutely devastated!!! :rofl: (As you would be!)

Yes indeed. Pretty disgusting, these OLD people doing well for themselves! Don't they know their place?

Gojive
9th-April-2006, 03:33 PM
Has anyone seen either of the two "SDF on Three" programmes yet? With all the rubbish that's been shown so far, I'm just wondering what they've found to fill the 'behind the scenes' magazine show with!

Lynn - as far as I know, the dance training starts proper this week. In theory, we should see some real dancing taking place next Saturday. But with the way this series is going so far, who knows! :confused:

Stuart
9th-April-2006, 07:17 PM
Perhaps this is why I couldn't bring myself to watch SCD last night, even when I was home in time. :sad:

I was actually home in time to watch this and I did watch it. I don't think I'll be watching anymore of them though; I couldn't muster any interest in the contestants.

Ballroom queen
9th-April-2006, 07:28 PM
Has anyone seen either of the two "SDF on Three" programmes yet? With all the rubbish that's been shown so far, I'm just wondering what they've found to fill the 'behind the scenes' magazine show with!

even more rubbish

The only good thing about this show so far is the totally different way they chose the couples - last years "dance off" and regional auditions meant that I don't really think they got the top 10 in the house.

I also wish a few more of us had auditioned, the standard looks so poor.

Hey ho

Trish
10th-April-2006, 11:22 AM
even more rubbish

The only good thing about this show so far is the totally different way they chose the couples - last years "dance off" and regional auditions meant that I don't really think they got the top 10 in the house.

Hey ho

Yes, I agree about that. I wasn't fair to pitch Paul and Natasha against the MJ couple last year for example, totally different styles and hard to judge against each other.

I would like to know what dance background the competitors this year come from (a lot of them seemed to be solo street/pop type dancers) although I guess we might find that out next week. Perhaps it's on the BBC website. I am hoping they'll show us some proper dances rather than 10 second clips next week, otherwise I'm tuning out.

Was anyone else surprised when they put that grumpy Paul through? Can't help thinking he's just there to stir up trouble.

Rhythm King
10th-April-2006, 11:23 AM
even more rubbish

Hey ho
No but last year's dance off meant that we got see some dancing. This year the production team seems only interested in producing a reality tv show and they almost seem to have put some couples together with a view to promoting possible conflict. or love interest. We saw nothing of half of the couples who got through, because they obviously danced well, but didn't have any tantrums, arguments, or silly costumes to catch the director's interest. The fact that "Strictly" and "Dance" are in the title have been lost on them. Unless they buck their ideas up, the Beeb might as well call it the "Z Factor".

Disgruntled of Wapping

Trish
10th-April-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes you're right there, but at least this audition bit only went on for 2 weeks. The other bit went on for longer than that if I remember rightly and every week I remember thinking - it's a shame couple X were up against couple Y, they were both good but one had to be knocked out, where couples A and B were both pretty rubbish in comparason. At least this years process is slightly fairer.

ElaineB
10th-April-2006, 12:01 PM
Disgruntled of Wapping

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

Daisy Chain
10th-April-2006, 12:15 PM
Has anyone seen either of the two "SDF on Three" programmes yet?

I don't have BBC3 but according to the trailer they were going to interview Sadie and Joseph about their lives since winning. Obviously, news of last year's winners is not deemed worthy of the BBC1 programme.

Daisy

(A Cynical Little Flower)

Donna
10th-April-2006, 12:59 PM
Well a lot of people don't seem impressed with it this year at all! Myself included. It is badly put together. We're not seeing enough dancing either (which is what this programme is supposed to be based on) Instead, all we are seeing is people moaning about aches and pains! If they want to become professionals, then that is not the right attitude! My ballroom teacher was top 20 in the world and he can't believe what a bunch of whiners are on this year! Plus, he's never had a massage in his life!! REAL dancers never complain about how ***** they feel, because it's perfectly normal and indicates that you are doing it right. There are a few moves me and steve have done in ballroom training that are extremely painful. You have to hold your body in very unusual ways to create the correct shape or movement. It's why a lot of professional dancers are completely nackered at the end of their dancing careers (and some even end up in wheelschairs. Brian Watson has to have a hot bath every morning before he can do anything.) The best thing about the pain is you know it's a good sign of having done a good work out, plus it really tones you up. After a few weeks you get used to it and it becomes more enjoyable. It is very disciplined and can be hard at first, but if people really want a dancing career then they have to take it seriously and be more professional about it! If they are going to complain so much, then what is the point in entering in the first place?

That Rami and his partner really started to do my head in and I'm glad they got knocked out. I couldn't have put up with them having a go at each other for much longer. :mad: I'd have banged their heads together if I was there! :D They're not dancing together anymore, which is just as well!:clap:

Then of course there was Chris and that model. Rather than focus on them dancing together, they were more interested in the body language between them! It may have been totally innocent and the fact that he had his arm around her meant absolutely nothing! At the end of the day, if they are going to work well as dance partners, they have to get on. Looking at the way they and in what order they were filming them, plus what Graham Norton was saying, they wanted to make it look as though they were flirting. That is so dangerous. They don't care about the fact that he had a girlfriend back home and could ruin their relationship. It's all about making TV to them.

The judges - well I think they've had enough of all the bickering between dance couples and the lack of effort! Bet they are wondering why the hell they are doing it again this year! I don't blame them for getting stroppy (even though they do go over the top sometimes) but I find that the worst judge this year is (and who'd have thought) is Stacey Haines! I thought she was OK but this year... ooeer I could smack her one! :angry: She is being so hard faced and is such a bully!

So the judges and the competitors are a pain in the butt this year apart from the fact it's badly put together. I was expecting the 2nd series to be a lot better but last years was much more enjoyable and made more sense. Instead of showing some more of the auditions on BBC 3, it now goes live with June and the Judges. (Yawn yawn yawn)

Hopefully next week they will start getting serious about this and we will see some HOT choreographed routines and some positive feedback off the judges (once they've calmed down!)

David Franklin
10th-April-2006, 01:23 PM
I would like to know what dance background the competitors this year come from (a lot of them seemed to be solo street/pop type dancers) although I guess we might find that out next week. Perhaps it's on the BBC website. Looking at the website, I think 3 out of the 10 pairs are "true" couple dancers, although only one pair are a long-standing partnership as opposed to having paired by the SDF team. From memory, there were maybe 5 true couples last year, and nearly all of them had been together for a while. The other interesting thing is a few of this years' dancers also made it to last years televised heats - not that I remembered any of them!

It does feel the emphasis is much more on individual dance skills this year; last year I said it "wasn't really a show about couple dancing" - this year they have made that very clear, both in their choice of judges, and by the comments - "she dances like she's performing in the West End"...

But I have to disagree with ballroom queen: I did actually think the general standard of performances in the "final audtion" was very high - once you appreciate the judges aren't exactly looking for the subtleties of lead and follow!

Donna
10th-April-2006, 01:37 PM
Looking at the website, I think 3 out of the 10 pairs are "true" couple dancers, although only one pair are a long-standing partnership as opposed to having paired by the SDF team.

IMO the judges have made a big mistake. I seen some really hot dancing couples who didn't make it through their first audition so now the judges will pay for the consequences. They will be short of males and like trish said, most are hip hop/street dancers, so don't expect too much this year then. They will struggle.

From memory, there were maybe 5 true couples last year, and nearly all of them had been together for a while. The other interesting thing is a few of this years' dancers also made it to last years televised heats - not that I remembered any of them!

We were told that anybody who made an appearance on the live heats were not allowed to enter this year. I remember one couple who I recognised from last year trying it again this year. Maybe that's why they didn't get anywhere.

It does feel the emphasis is much more on individual dance skills this year; last year I said it "wasn't really a show about couple dancing" - this year they have made that very clear, both in their choice of judges, and by the comments - "she dances like she's performing in the West End"...

It's going to be pretty similar to last year. There will be a lot of couple dancing. Remember the lindy hoppers Paul and Natasha? We met them last month at SDF auditions, and they said they learnt nothing new at all and that they are not actually partner dancing. They have to make it look as though they are when if fact they are dancing on their own. (apart from things like lifts and drops of course) It does help if you have a bit of experience at all styles and understand the timing. Those are the ones who will pick up on it easily and stand a better chance of making it far because they are the one who only need to concentrate more on the choreography rather than foot work and timing. That way they can throw the style in almost straight away, and come the live heats, they'll be the best there. JP seems to be struggling with new styles because he's only done hip hop. How he got through I'll never know as there were some males who could actually do it and got knocked out. That's just not fair.

Lynn
10th-April-2006, 01:55 PM
That Rami and his partner really started to do my head in and I'm glad they got knocked out. I couldn't have put up with them having a go at each other for much longer. :mad: I'd have banged their heads together if I was there! :D They're not dancing together anymore, which is just as well!:clap: I think Rahmi has been offered a dance scholarship for a year in London. I know he pulled out of organising a salsa weekend this month because of it (he taught salsa in Belfast). To be fair he is a good salsa dancer (from what I have seen) but not sure he would have adapted well to the different styles. Never danced with him of course, I wouldn't be good enough...

Donna
10th-April-2006, 01:56 PM
I think Rahmi has been offered a dance scholarship for a year in London. I know he pulled out of organising a salsa weekend this month because of it (he taught salsa in Belfast). To be fair he is a good salsa dancer (from what I have seen) but not sure he would have adapted well to the different styles. Never danced with him of course, I wouldn't be good enough...

Really?:really: Obviously not doing it with his partner then.

Lynn
10th-April-2006, 01:58 PM
Really?:really: Obviously not doing it with his partner then.No! And they haven't been together 4 years and it wasn't a fish and chip shop he sold... the producers have been really lazy in checking their facts for this programme.

Donna
10th-April-2006, 02:02 PM
No! And they haven't been together 4 years and it wasn't a fish and chip shop he sold... the producers have been really lazy in checking their facts for this programme.

I was going to say that is totally bizarre! Why would somebody want to sell a business not knowing whether or not they were going to make it so far as to become successful enough to start off a dancing career! Maybe the producers didn't make a mistake.. they done it on purpose. They tell lies all the time. Can do what they want.:sick:

David Franklin
10th-April-2006, 02:24 PM
We were told that anybody who made an appearance on the live heats were not allowed to enter this year. I remember one couple who I recognised from last year trying it again this year. Maybe that's why they didn't get anywhere.

From the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/dancefever/news/2006/04/07/31073.shtml):
Paul made his first appearance on series one with his original partner Suzanne. They made it through to the Live Auditions last year but they were knocked out after the public vote.And in fact, I managed to find some footage of Paul and Suzanne dancing in my recorded video archive!

It's going to be pretty similar to last year. There will be a lot of couple dancing. Remember the lindy hoppers Paul and Natasha? We met them last month at SDF auditions, and they said they learnt nothing new at all and that they are not actually partner dancing.
Which is, of course, exactly my point. Yes, there will be a lot of "couple" dancing, but what they are looking for are great individual dancers who can fake the whole lead/follow thing. As I said last year, the routines that get scored highest will be the ones so over-the-top as to appear caricatures of the authentic dance form. Actually being able to dance the dances properly is probably a handicap!

But TV-wise, I think the biggest loss isn't the dance style, but the dynamic you get from partners who have a lot of time and history behind them. I just can't call up the same level interest in these new couples who had never even met before a BBC audition.

Garumph, mutter, sulk ... [cont. p94]

Stuart
10th-April-2006, 03:44 PM
One reason to watch the end of next week's programme is that the new series of Doctor Who follows straight afterwards:grin:

Donna
10th-April-2006, 03:51 PM
One reason to watch the end of next week's programme is that the new series of Doctor Who follows straight afterwards:grin:

:rofl: I think I find that much more entertaining than SDF right now!

Rhythm King
10th-April-2006, 05:35 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: No watching Beeb 3 for me then. Mind you I don't care for June Sarpong anyway, I don't know what she did to get her job, but it didn't involve any talent as a tv presenter IMHO.

Ballroom queen
10th-April-2006, 07:39 PM
But I have to disagree with ballroom queen: I did actually think the general standard of performances in the "final audtion" was very high - once you appreciate the judges aren't exactly looking for the subtleties of lead and follow!

you're probably right, maybe I wasn't watching so carefully - or just got bored with all the non-dance waffle. I just wish they had shown more dancing.

I still think you + Mrs Franklin could do far better!!!!:respect:

Ballroom queen
10th-April-2006, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=Donna]

[QUOTE]

hmm, - yes whoever else noticed some people from last year - wasn't Pamela someone that Arlene wanted? Wasn't she against someone really good (maybe Jodie) and they went against Adam in the dance off / wild card place???? I'm sure she is familiar (but haven't gone so far as to get the tapes out.... but I will over easter, coz I'm that sad:sad: :sad:

ducasi
10th-April-2006, 08:22 PM
A lot of the things you're all wondering about (e.g., were they in series 1, what is their style, what are they going to do?) are easy to find out about on the web site...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/

melb
10th-April-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Ballroom Queen

I might be able to answer some of your questions for you. :nice: ....... I got through to the live heats last year and there was no mention of not being able to compete this year. Both Pamela and Dawn were there last year and I am so glad to see them there again this year. They have both done really well for themselves :clap: Fingers crossed for them both

Hope that clears some bits up for you

Melb

Ballroom queen
10th-April-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Ballroom Queen

I might be able to answer some of your questions for you. :nice: ....... I got through to the live heats last year and there was no mention of not being able to compete this year. Both Pamela and Dawn were there last year and I am so glad to see them there again this year. They have both done really well for themselves :clap: Fingers crossed for them both

Melb

thanks - glad I wasn't imagining things.
Pam was good last year and missed out with last years unfair system, pleased she has a second chance.

By the way, Joseph and Sadie were on BBC3, they mentioned their 3 week run in Burn the floor - however no one has mentioned that the runners up Danny and Jodie have been touring for months in Strictly ballroom - I think they were the true winners. I'm seeing the show again soon in Woking.

Lindsay
11th-April-2006, 11:15 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: No watching Beeb 3 for me then. Mind you I don't care for June Sarpong anyway, I don't know what she did to get her job, but it didn't involve any talent as a tv presenter IMHO.
:yeah:
Unbearable.

Donna
11th-April-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Ballroom Queen

Melb

Interesting.. which one were you in then as I have recorded a couple of the live heats. I'm sure I'll recognise you though as I can remember almost everybody who got through to the live heats (that is sad isn't it?)

The production team told us that those who made to the live heats last year will be unable to do it again. Maybe they changed the rules after?

I also agree with Ballroom Queen. Danny and Jodie were the true winners last year. I'd say Joseph and Sadie were better at street dance, but Danny and Jodie seemed to look better when trying out the other styles. Sadie has better choreography though so maybe that's what won it.

Trish
12th-April-2006, 01:28 PM
Pam was good last year and missed out with last years unfair system, pleased she has a second chance.

By the way, Joseph and Sadie were on BBC3, they mentioned their 3 week run in Burn the floor - however no one has mentioned that the runners up Danny and Jodie have been touring for months in Strictly ballroom - I think they were the true winners. I'm seeing the show again soon in Woking.

That's good to know, I always thought they were better than J&S, and was a bit worried with Jodie's reaction that she'd just thrown in the towel after not winning. Good for them, I bet they're fantastic!

Donna
12th-April-2006, 01:43 PM
That's good to know, I always thought they were better than J&S, and was a bit worried with Jodie's reaction that she'd just thrown in the towel after not winning. Good for them, I bet they're fantastic!

That would have been selfish of her to have done that. Would have been a waste. They have so much talent.

Trish
13th-April-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, I agree Donna, but people do do these things if they get really disheartened. Hopefully appearing in Strictly Ballroom would have really helped her confidence. Lucky Ballroom Queen going to see it - I bet it's excellent!

Hope this Saturday's programme will be a bit slicker, and with more dancing!

Gojive
13th-April-2006, 02:07 PM

:yeah: I've seen both shows, and to me Danny and Jodie were by far the better, more polished, and more professional looking couple.

Gojive
13th-April-2006, 02:19 PM
Hope this Saturday's programme will be a bit slicker, and with more dancing!

And here's the schedule for Saturday (NOTE! An earlier than usual start this week):

SDF The Show, Sat 15th Apr, BBC1, 18:10 - 19:15
SDF on Three, Sat 8th Apr, BBC3, 19:15 - 20:00
SDF The results, Sat 8th Apr, BBC1, 21:25 - 22:00

Each couple will either dance Salsa or Rock 'n' Roll this week.

From the schedule, it looks as though there will be no BBC3 magazine show this series - which will be a huge shame IMO :sad: . The weekday catch up, was a great way to get to know the couples, and to see some of the training and hard work they were putting in. I can't really understand the decision to drop this programme :confused:

Donna
13th-April-2006, 02:26 PM
SDF The Show, Sat 15th Apr, BBC1, 18:10 - 19:15

Phew! good job you mentioned it otherwise I'd have most probably missed it! Thanks!

Each couple will either dance Salsa or Rock 'n' Roll this week.

Should be exciting then!

From the schedule, it looks as though there will be no BBC3 magazine show this series - which will be a huge shame IMO :sad: .

Aaahh so that's what one of the production team meant by no BBC3 show! Shame they're doing it that way this year.

Ballroom queen
13th-April-2006, 08:37 PM
From the schedule, it looks as though there will be no BBC3 magazine show this series - which will be a huge shame IMO :sad: . The weekday catch up, was a great way to get to know the couples, and to see some of the training and hard work they were putting in. I can't really understand the decision to drop this programme :confused:

I agree, and I bet some people would go digital because of it!!!

ducasi
13th-April-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure how folks can complain about the absence of the BBC3 programme from last year, and at the same time grumble about how SDF is turning into a reality game, rather than a dance competition...

Last year the BBC3 programme mainly featured clips from auditions, and clips from action in the house – much of which featured who was in a state of emotional distress over the previous 24 hours...

Fact is, people won't want a programme purely of people learning choreographed dance routines – or at least, not enough people...

When we attend the Hammersmith or Blackpool competitions, it's to see the competitors show us what they can do at their best. Do we ask to see their rehearsals?

DavidB
14th-April-2006, 12:01 AM
Do we ask to see their rehearsals?
The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is - you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

Minnie M
14th-April-2006, 11:39 AM
The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is - you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.
:rofl:

Ballroom queen
15th-April-2006, 08:16 PM
no one else watching tonight?

well, I enjoyed the last couple the most, but what about that crazy throw spin lift thing the couple in pink did!!!!

:respect:

FirstMove
15th-April-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, the first episode managed a shock eviction :(. Plenty there to keep us all hooked though :eek:

Lynn
15th-April-2006, 10:36 PM
no one else watching tonight? Yep, I was - as the milonga I had planned to go to was cancelled. :(

well, I enjoyed the last couple the most, but what about that crazy throw spin lift thing the couple in pink did!!!!:yeah: The last couple seemed the best to me too, but I agreed about that throw and spin thing. Brave to put that into a live TV broadcast and in the first week too!

I was wondering why several couples were putting that odd 'chicken dance' move into their salsa, then I realised the salsa teachers were the same ones who were on SCD. :rolleyes: They may be great teachers (I don't know anything about them), but that move just looks daft to me in salsa and doesn't work with the rest of the style (it would work much better in an African dance IMO).

Well, the first episode managed a shock eviction :(. I was disappointed by the result. Clive and Helga were much better than several other couples, they definitely should have stayed.

Next week - Arg Tango! (And something else which I can't remember as I was so pleased at the Tango :blush: )

Rhythm King
15th-April-2006, 10:40 PM
At least we're seeing some dancing now. With the way the audition shows were done this year I feel as if I don't a thing about half of the couples, what their dance styles are and so forth.

well, I enjoyed the last couple the most, but what about that crazy throw spin lift thing the couple in pink did!!!!

:yeah: Although I liked the first couple and felt the other low scoring pair should have gone. Looking forward to next week.

ElaineB
16th-April-2006, 11:57 AM
I was disappointed by the result. Clive and Helga were much better than several other couples, they definitely should have stayed.

Ah, I wondered who had gone - the old sympathy vote thing worked in favour of some of the lower scoring couples again then! What a shame! Loved the last couple and the couple who did the amazing throws! :respect:

Elaine

Daisy Chain
16th-April-2006, 05:01 PM
Next week - Arg Tango! (And something else which I can't remember as I was so pleased at the Tango :blush: )

Arg Tango ............and the Disco Hustle.

Once again, the public voting was a farce. Clive and Helga didn't deserve to go.

It also looks like SDF has a much lower frock budget than SCD. Whilst the salsa dresses were divine (bags I Dawn's gold fringy frock), the rock 'n roll dresses were a disgrace. I've never seen real 1950's rock n' rollers in films wear such gross coloured, awful satin tents.

Just one other thing. Why does Aravon gurn? It quite put me off my dinner.

Daisy

(A Slightly Disappointed Little Flower)

Lynn
16th-April-2006, 06:23 PM
Arg Tango ............and the Disco Hustle. Thanks. I was so busy thinking that because the Tango was in week two that would mean at least 4 couples would be doing it, that I wasn't paying enough attention to the rest of the announcements. :blush:

And what is Graham Norton like? We all know he knows nothing about dancing, but does he have to wave his ignorance around like some sort of trophy?

robd
18th-April-2006, 10:26 AM
I enjoyed this show much more than the previous 2 weeks as you can at last start to identify with individuals.

Ben looks a very strong contender and has a real presence and I think Pamela is seriously sexy as well as a strong dancer - would have been good to see the 2 of them paired up. Still don't think they'd have beaten Darrien and Hollie (and hasn't her boyfriend always got a face like a smacked arse?) this week - they were great to watch and scores of 8 and 9 at this stage are equivalent to 10s further down the line.

No point moaning about the unfairness of Clive and Helga going - that's the nature of the show and its reliance on a public vote. D & J should have won last year but didn't and the 'best' dancers (however you determine that) probably won't win this year either.

Robert

ps - What about the line dancer Rob - never mind body rolls, they were more like body explosions :what: Nice triple spin though :respect:

Donna
18th-April-2006, 11:23 AM
Glad the show is getting better. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it next week too! What a shame Clive and Helga got knocked out! I'd have thought they'd make it to the end :eek: The couple in pink were fantastic! Loved that spin in the air! I think Darren and Hollie will go a long way in this one.

I heard Joseph and Sadie did a good performance on the final part of the show... but I missed... because I was dancing of course.:grin:

FirstMove
18th-April-2006, 12:11 PM
I heard Joseph and Sadie did a good performance on the final part of the show... but I missed... because I was dancing of course.:grin:

They were good when they kept their feet on the ground, but most of their arials were wobbly and had bad landings :eek:.

Donna
18th-April-2006, 12:20 PM
They were good when they kept their feet on the ground, but most of their arials were wobbly and had bad landings :eek:.

Yeah I heard that Sadie did a back flip and stumbled. Accidents happen i suppose but they still rock!:respect: Heard he's improved more though.

Trish
19th-April-2006, 04:38 PM
Glad the show is getting better. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it next week too! What a shame Clive and Helga got knocked out! I'd have thought they'd make it to the end :eek: The couple in pink were fantastic! Loved that spin in the air! I think Darren and Hollie will go a long way in this one.

I think Clive and Helga were technically better than a lot of the others, but I agreed with the judges for once, to me they seemed to lack passion and had rather plastic smiles - perhaps that's just me though. The street dance people who came last were much worse technically, and I'd have preferred them to go out, but somehow I think they'll stick around for a while, as the judges like them and they've definitely got much bigger personalities. I wasn't so keen on their dancing but you couldn't fault their enthusiasm (or Aravon and Paul's come to that, who were the other dodgy looking couple as far as their dancing goes). Loved the couple who came top with the judges though (Darrien and Hollie I think?), far higher standard than most of the rest, and also loved the couple with the throw-her-in-the-air spin thing, that was fantastic! I hope this week coming is as good.

As to Joseph and Sadie - got to agree with FirstMove on that one, Joseph was better than Sadie I think. It was interesting when Graham Norton was interviewing them and said something about them being professionals, and Joseph said "trying to be" - makes you wonder whether it's really come off for them.

Donna
19th-April-2006, 05:33 PM
I think Clive and Helga were technically better than a lot of the others, but I agreed with the judges for once, to me they seemed to lack passion and had rather plastic smiles - perhaps that's just me though.

Aaaah something we lack in our dancing. At the end of the day, you are acting. They obviously didn't do a good job at it then and that's what really counts. It looks so much better if the smiles are genuine and there is some sort of chemistry between them.

The street dance people who came last were much worse technically, and I'd have preferred them to go out, but somehow I think they'll stick around for a while, as the judges like them and they've definitely got much bigger personalities.

That's what this show is about more than anything is having a big personality. .

I wasn't so keen on their dancing but you couldn't fault their enthusiasm (or Aravon and Paul's come to that, who were the other dodgy looking couple as far as their dancing goes).

I wasn't too keen on their performance either. I thought the costumes were disgusting. Aravon has got the right attitude going there though.

Loved the couple who came top with the judges though (Darrien and Hollie I think?), far higher standard than most of the rest, and also loved the couple with the throw-her-in-the-air spin thing, that was fantastic! I hope this week coming is as good.

Yep those two are so far the best there. I hope Darren and Hollie go a long way in this one. They deserve it.

As to Joseph and Sadie - got to agree with FirstMove on that one, Joseph was better than Sadie I think.

Unfortunately I missed out on this performance but I was told that Joseph has really improved. Must be a big improvement then because I always thought that Sadie had a lot more flare than Joseph.

Dancing Tattoo
19th-April-2006, 05:54 PM
If any of you guys are interested Joseph and Sadie are teaching at Stevenage in May for Ceroc Metro....Details are on their web site.

Tessalicious
19th-April-2006, 05:56 PM
At the end of the day, you are acting.I disagree - ok, I might not have a lot (or as yet any) competitive dancing experience, but if you really love the dance and you are putting yourself into it then there should be no acting required. The only time this should be necessary is to cover nerves (necessary in any performance, if you can't then you shouldn't be trying to be on TV) or when performing in a style with a completely different personality to what you are used to/comfortable with. Otherwise, if you have to act in order for your audience to think you are enjoying your dancing, you shouldn't be trying for a career in dancing, but rather a career in acting.
I hope Darren and Hollie go a long way in this one.Absolutely - their performance was top notch, even if it was R'n'R with an R'n'B flava! I'll be interested to see how much of their street and pop styles stay as they go through the various different dances.

Donna
19th-April-2006, 06:08 PM
I disagree - ok, I might not have a lot (or as yet any) competitive dancing experience, but if you really love the dance and you are putting yourself into it then there should be no acting required.

It doesn't matter how much you're enjoying it, even though some of the expressions come naturally, I think a little acting is still required with having to concentrate so much at the same time.

Rhythm King
19th-April-2006, 07:06 PM
It doesn't matter how much you're enjoying it, even though some of the expressions come naturally, I think a little acting is still required with having to concentrate so much at the same time.
:yeah: Can you imagine a Paso Doble, with the guy grinning like a loon?

Donna
20th-April-2006, 10:29 AM
:yeah: Can you imagine a Paso Doble, with the guy grinning like a loon?

:rofl: Yeah!!! :rofl:

Thanks for making me laugh!!! Just what I needed! Had a bad night last night... :sad:

Trish
20th-April-2006, 01:59 PM
if you really love the dance and you are putting yourself into it then there should be no acting required. The only time this should be necessary is to cover nerves (necessary in any performance, if you can't then you shouldn't be trying to be on TV) or when performing in a style with a completely different personality to what you are used to/comfortable with. Otherwise, if you have to act in order for your audience to think you are enjoying your dancing, you shouldn't be trying for a career in dancing, but rather a career in acting.

:yeah: Yes I think I agree about this. Generally it comes across better with something sexier like Salsa if the couples really are flirting with each other, even if it's more to do with getting wrapped up in the music than fancying each other, it looks better and more genuine. I think there is some acting involved in some of the other styles though, you need to pose about a bit for r 'n' r for example and as RK said, Paso Doble (or Tango for that matter) would be no good without a straight face!

Donna
20th-April-2006, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Trish]:yeah: Yes I think I agree about this. Generally it comes across better with something sexier like Salsa if the couples really are flirting with each other, even if it's more to do with getting wrapped up in the music than fancying each other, it looks better and more genuine.

I'm sure for some couples it's actually hard to flirt for real when put on the spot and under a lot of pressure... so it's an act.

I think there is some acting involved in some of the other styles though, you need to pose about a bit for r 'n' r for example

Yeah! You have to keep looking like this all the time - :eek:

Trish
21st-April-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm sure for some couples it's actually hard to flirt for real when put on the spot and under a lot of pressure... so it's an act.

Yes, you're probably right there, but at least the couple we were talking about knew each other well, where all the other couples were new-ish partnerships. You'd have thought that'd make things easier. And I admit I have no idea how I'd react to a competition situation, especially with a TV audience :eek: . But from my own experience if you've got good chemistry with the person you're dancing with and you can switch off to the audience, it should theoretically be possible.

Yeah! You have to keep looking like this all the time - :eek:

Donna
21st-April-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, you're probably right there, but at least the couple we were talking about knew each other well, where all the other couples were new-ish partnerships.

I agree it does make a big difference if it's with someone you are already close to.

Gojive
21st-April-2006, 01:55 PM
Here's the TV schedul for Saturday:

(NOTE! - it's a late one this time)

The main show Sat 22 Apr, BBC1, 20:00 - 21:00
SDF on 3 Sat 22 Apr, BBC3, 21:00 - 21:45
The results Sat 22 Apr, BBC1, 22:00 - 22:15

Enjoy :waycool:

Donna
21st-April-2006, 02:19 PM
Here's the TV schedul for Saturday:

(NOTE! - it's a late one this time)

The main show Sat 22 Apr, BBC1, 20:00 - 21:00
SDF on 3 Sat 22 Apr, BBC3, 21:00 - 21:45
The results Sat 22 Apr, BBC1, 22:00 - 22:15

After you putting the times up last week and reminding us all that it's starts earlier.... I still forgot and missed the first half an hour of it!!! :sad:

So 20:00 tomorrow! OK I'll get it right this time!!

bigdjiver
21st-April-2006, 05:51 PM
Arlene, another judge and Joseph and Sadie all picked Clive and Helga as best in the Fosse routine, which is pretty close to the sort of dancing that the winner will be doing. Probably if Arlene had not scored C&H lowest they would still be in the comp. If the viwers could see how the voting was shaping up they would still be in the comp. The reaction of the rest of the competitors showed most of them were shocked too. They have every right to consider them themselves so unlucky, particularly because they may be tarred with the brush of being "unpopular" with the public on top of their eviction. Not a good weeks work for SDF.

Feelingpink
22nd-April-2006, 09:32 PM
What was with the Argentine tango this week? How come it didn't actually look like AT? None of the women seemed to put their ankles anywhere near each other at pretty much any point during the dances ... and I'm not sure about their knees being anywhere close either. Kate Hargreaves would have had a fit with their "wet knicker" looks.

I did like one of the tracks though - a version of Glorybox - from Mark & Jennifer's AT. It wasn't perhaps traditionally tangoish - but I'd like to dance to it.

Lynn
23rd-April-2006, 12:23 AM
What was with the Argentine tango this week? How come it didn't actually look like AT? It wouldn't look like the AT you see in class or milonga as that is almost certainly salon style and this seemed to be Tango Fantasia (or some mix?) which is a show/performance style. Its more dramatic, larger steps, lifts and jumps etc.
...and I'm not sure about their knees being anywhere close either. Kate Hargreaves would have had a fit with their "wet knicker" looks. :rofl:

I did like one of the tracks though - a version of Glorybox - from Mark & Jennifer's AT. It wasn't perhaps traditionally tangoish - but I'd like to dance to it.The only one I really liked was Santa Maria - oh that reminds me, I got the new Gotan album today! :clap:
*Goes off to post on Tango music thread*

Oh and how about that street dance? I think they did really well to learn that in a week, along with their other styles.:worthy:

Jive Brummie
23rd-April-2006, 04:42 PM
When I've been watching I've often thought that the music actually works against the couples as opposed to for them.

Last night the only couple I thought were doing AT to a tango type track (please forgive my ignorance...I have no idea about Tango) were 'whats-his-face and Pamela...you know the ones who were slated the week before. I just thought that their track invoked a real masculine tango-y presence and sure enough they played to it and came top of the list.

Some of the tracks selected seem so bizarre that it surely must make it harder for the couples to perform in that particular style?

Anyone else thought this or am I reading from the wrong hymn sheet?

JB x x

p.s. JP should have been binned last night not Rob & Dawn:mad:

p.p.s and i thought Holly rocked at the street dance:worthy:

Frankie_4711
23rd-April-2006, 04:50 PM
Last night the only couple I thought were doing AT to a tango type track (please forgive my ignorance...I have no idea about Tango) were 'whats-his-face and Pamela...you know the ones who were slated the week before. I just thought that their track invoked a real masculine tango-y presence and sure enough they played to it and came top of the list.

I agree, but as I don't do Tango I don't really know what it's danced to these days. I just felt that Paul and Pam got more of the Tango-y 'feel' into it, and personally I'd put that down to it being the 'right' kind of music. I did think Tango-ing to Dido was a bit strange!!

Nick M
23rd-April-2006, 05:31 PM
:

I agree. The second crap send-off decision in 2 weeks

(Was it just me, or did Rob look a lot like Frodo Baggins?)

Lynn
23rd-April-2006, 05:36 PM
When I've been watching I've often thought that the music actually works against the couples as opposed to for them.

Some of the tracks selected seem so bizarre that it surely must make it harder for the couples to perform in that particular style?

Anyone else thought this or am I reading from the wrong hymn sheet?I totally agree. I think that the dance style and mood should reflect the music, they messed about with the salsa last week as well. I definitely think it takes something away from the dance as a performance dance, even if it still works in terms of their partnership, as the dance and the music just don't match up as well.

The Hustle tracks all seemed OK to me, and yes, I will tango to something not-tangoy if I have no choice, but I have no idea why they only gave one couple suitable music. (Anyone else find it a little strange to hear another version than the Gotan one? I'm so used to it.)

ducasi
23rd-April-2006, 11:18 PM
I did like one of the tracks though - a version of Glorybox - from Mark & Jennifer's AT. It wasn't perhaps traditionally tangoish - but I'd like to dance to it.
It's a lovely song to dance to (I "discovered" it a couple of months ago, and both CJ and Tiggerbabe have played it for me.) Has a funny bit at the end though that does spoil it a bit...

However, I agree that as far as presentation is concerned (i.e. how the dance looks) a Tango looks best danced to Tango music.

I understand though that in some of the more progressive Tango Milongas, non-tango "pop" songs that we might think are suitable for blues or WCS are becoming more common...

(Hey, we steal their music, they should be allowed to steal ours!)

Donna
24th-April-2006, 11:19 AM
Well I wasn't that impressed with it - AGAIN! :rolleyes: The level of dancers was a lot higher than this years. I'm finding the performances quite boring actually. The only ones I think who are going to do well through being able to pick up all styles and perform them well are Paul and Pamela. Their performance was stunning on Sat night... and I love that Tango music!!! (It is the same on from "shall we dance" isn't it?) Anybody know? I'm going to try and get a copy of it!!! :drool:

Chef
24th-April-2006, 11:28 AM
and I love that Tango music!!! (It is the same on from "shall we dance" isn't it?) Anybody know? I'm going to try and get a copy of it!!! :drool:

It is called Santa Maria and is by the Gotan project. The "shall we dance" soundtrack album has a number of nice tunes on it (including "perfidia - another fav of mine).

If you are on iTunes then the Gotan projects version to "whatever Lola wants" is also worth a listen.

Donna
24th-April-2006, 11:47 AM
It is called Santa Maria and is by the Gotan project. The "shall we dance" soundtrack album has a number of nice tunes on it (including "perfidia - another fav of mine).

If you are on iTunes then the Gotan projects version to "whatever Lola wants" is also worth a listen.

Thanks for that Chef! I was trying to find out what that track was around the time the film came out but forgot about it.. then I heard it Saturday and thought "right that's it I've gotta get it!" You've put my mind at rest now. Actually, think I will buy the soundtrack as I did like some of the other songs but Santa Maria definately my favourite one. :drool:

Trish
24th-April-2006, 04:11 PM

Anyone else thought this or am I reading from the wrong hymn sheet?

JB x x

p.p.s and i thought Holly rocked at the street dance:worthy:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Really interesting that the best marks for Tango were for the only Tango-type song.

I couldn't believe Rob & Dawn went out and JP and Stacey stayed in or Aravon and Paul come to that. I don't think any of the couple could believe it either. I also feel that Stacey (judge) was biased, she marked them the same I think - both 6!!!! I got the impression she didn't have a clue and was judging on what she liked in the first place, not what she was watching actually. I admit I don't know much about Hussle, but I can't see that JP/Stacey were on a par with Rob/Dawn - he did a really nice spin at the beginning, and their disco type bits were really slick and together, where JP&S just looked messy. And probably neither of them was particularly "romantic" - hard to get romantic to fast disco though - don't get that :confused:

:respect: to all the dancers for the street dance (with the exeption perhaps of Paul/Aravon - although I can't blame them for looking uncomfortable - there's no way I could do any of that stuff!). It was awesome :worthy: ! I especially liked the guy that threw the girl in the air last week (sorry forgotten name now), who was praised by the judges, amazing energy!

Edit - found it now - Ben's his name, I keep forgetting as he looks so much like my friend Robin!

Donna
24th-April-2006, 05:12 PM
I couldn't believe Rob & Dawn went out and JP and Stacey stayed in or Aravon and Paul come to that. I don't think any of the couple could believe it either. I also feel that Stacey (judge) was biased, she marked them the same I think - both 6!!!!

I just don't believe it either!!!! I miss the results everytime (out dancing myself :rolleyes:) and usually find out who was out here. I can't believe that JP and Stacey are still in..... they should have been the first to go!! I don't really want to watch it anymore... the results are false and ridiculous!!! :angry: The only thing that keeps me watching is I'm looking for some good moves that I can copy... that's all. :D

I don't like stacey either. she's a hard faced, biased 8%!* *?%$%" !*%? :angry: (ok deep breath! :eek: )

As for the Tango, neither of them could isolate the top part of their body. It didn't look like Tango to me, and the music they picked was a joke. The only ones who done well this time were paul and pam.

I especially liked the guy that threw the girl in the air last week (sorry forgotten name now), who was praised by the judges, amazing energy!

I watched that one in slow motion over the weekend and he looked as though he really struggled with that one! :D Of course it's going to be a struggle, but you're not allowed to show it!

Ballroom queen
24th-April-2006, 07:43 PM
.............Last night the only couple I thought were doing AT to a tango type track (please forgive my ignorance...I have no idea about Tango) were 'whats-his-face and Pamela...you know the ones who were slated the week before. I just thought that their track invoked a real masculine tango-y presence and sure enough they played to it and came top of the list.

and they had a proper tango dress - ie red - I mean please, how can you tango in green????:rofl:

Donna
25th-April-2006, 01:56 PM
and they had a proper tango dress - ie red - I mean please, how can you tango in green????:rofl:

Nope I've never seen anybody Tango in a green dress before either. But they were good! :clap:

robd
25th-April-2006, 02:11 PM
I really enjoyed this week and much prefer it now there are fixed individuals to concentrate on rather than the random focus of the audition shows.

I thought it was the judge's vote rather than the public one that was critical in Rob & Dawn leaving - I thought it was unfairly low and thus left them at the mercy of the public vote. It seems to be the curse of the first performers of the night!

JP looks so uncomfortable when partner dancing but much. much happier on his own so I can't see him staying around much longer and Paul & Aravon are clearly on borrowed time though I did feel sorry for them with the microphone mix up.

Stand by my comments last week that if Ben and Pamela were partnered then all bets would be off but they're not so there's a long way to go, cliche, cliche, etc

Hollie is dynamite on the street dancing and her real-life fella even looked a bit more cheerful than usual when he was paraded for the cameras. Perhaps he read my other comment about last week's show :whistle:

Daisy Fox
25th-April-2006, 02:22 PM
Was also disappointed that Rob & Dawn left. I think JP would be a lot better if he had a different partner, as Stacey always looks so fed up and down on herself.
Also think Stacey the judge is nuts!!!! She gave Darrien and Hollie a lower score than Paul and Aravon. And JP and Stacey a higher score than Rob & Dawn.
Such a shame as the dance couples that might actually develop and get better have been voted off - although I can't really complain as I haven't voted yet. :)

Donna
25th-April-2006, 02:22 PM
This show isn't going to be as long as the first. Last year they did the live heats where by 20 couples had to battle it out with another couple doing the same style. Now they've just cut it down to the final 10. It will be finished before you know it and the winners definately won't be as good as Joseph and Sadie and have as much success as them even.

Heather M
27th-April-2006, 04:49 PM
Can anyone tell me what track Paul and Pamela (the couple dressed in red) danced to on Saturday night? I love it but have no idea what it's called...

Tessalicious
27th-April-2006, 04:54 PM
Can anyone tell me what track Paul and Pamela (the couple dressed in red) danced to on Saturday night? I love it but have no idea what it's called...See up there somewhere. Gotan Project's Santa Maria (and if you like that, there's several others by them that are also fab songs).

Gojive
27th-April-2006, 04:54 PM
Can anyone tell me what track Paul and Pamela (the couple dressed in red) danced to on Saturday night? I love it but have no idea what it's called...

From Chef on the previous page:

"It is called Santa Maria and is by the Gotan project"

:)

EDIT: Beaten by Tess! (which some may pay good money for! :D)

Donna
27th-April-2006, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately will miss it on Sat as in London practicing somewhere.. guess I'll have to get someone to press that little red button for me.

Minnie M
27th-April-2006, 06:03 PM
I'll be there - in the audience :clap: :clap: :clap: Not sure if you will see me though

:sad: hope I get in, we were told we have to queue for about 2 hours to make sure you can get in, even with a ticket.

To think I am giving up a night at Funky Lush to be there, will be really mad if we don't get in !

Donna
27th-April-2006, 06:10 PM
hope I get in, we were told we have to queue for about 2 hours to make sure you can get in, even with a ticket.

That is ridiculous. :mad:

Gojive
27th-April-2006, 08:33 PM
Here's the schedule for Saturday...

(NOTE! They've arsed around with the times once more, and it's EARLY!)

The main show - Sat 29 Apr, BBC1, 18:20 - 19:20
SDF on three - Sat 29 Apr, BBC3, 19:20 - 20:05
Results - Sat 29 Apr, BBC1, 21:30 - 22:00

Each couple with be performing either the Charleston :clap: (taught by Dan and Christi :worthy: ), or the Guapacha:confused: . The group dance this week, will be the Hand Jive.

Here's hoping for a better voting performance by the public this week! :what:

Minnie M
27th-April-2006, 08:36 PM
Here's the schedule for Saturday... the Charleston :clap: (taught by Dan and Christi :worthy: ).........
Did you know that after Dan & Christi broke up, Christi :worthy: moved to Scotland where she is now teaching

Did I mention, I will be there :innocent: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gojive
27th-April-2006, 08:38 PM
Did you know that after Dan & Christi broke up, Christi :worthy: moved to Scotland where she is now teaching

:eek: Noooo! They were a fantastic couple :tears:

Did I mention, I will be there :innocent: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ooops! I meant to say Min. I'll be watching for ya! :blush: Good luck in getting in :hug:

Minnie M
27th-April-2006, 08:49 PM
:eek: Noooo! They were a fantastic couple :tears:
yes ........ was a shock to all. They are both still teaching, but separately. I think this is the first time they have taught together since the split.

...... Good luck in getting in :hug:
hope I do get in...... nothing is worse than a grown woman crying and howling in the street :tears:

Gojive
27th-April-2006, 08:56 PM
hope I do get in...... nothing is worse than a grown woman crying and howling in the street :tears:

...except for a grown man crying and howling in the street, because he couldn't even get pseudo tickets! :tears:

DangerousCurves
27th-April-2006, 11:04 PM
nothing is worse than a grown woman crying and howling in the street :tears:

or two grown women crying and howling in the street?

The lovely, lovely Minnie has got me a ticket too :hug: :hug: :hug:

If things don't work out we can weep inconsolably on each others shoulders and extract chocolate with menaces from innocent passersby!

Heather M
28th-April-2006, 06:37 PM
See up there somewhere. Gotan Project's Santa Maria (and if you like that, there's several others by them that are also fab songs).

Thank you! :nice: :hug:

FirstMove
29th-April-2006, 10:29 PM
Not quite so controvertial with the eviction this week and not the first couple on either. Not my choice again, but just how many Guapacha qualified judges are there in the world anyway? Street dancers doing a semi-street dance are likely to beat ballroom experts doing the Charleston.

Is it me or is the repeat dance at the end utterly pointless (except to solicit more votes)? If they want to make it more interesting, stick on a random track and make them freestyle simultaneously :)

PS some of Paul and Pamela's choreography matched Sue Freeman's Charleston workshop at Southport last June! :respect:

Lynn
30th-April-2006, 01:00 AM
Not quite so controvertial with the eviction this week and not the first couple on either. Not my choice again, but just how many Guapacha qualified judges are there in the world anyway? Street dancers doing a semi-street dance are likely to beat ballroom experts doing the Charleston. Agree, the style suited JP and Stacey and so they were probably stronger. Though the last couple's Guapacha was by far the best.

PS some of Paul and Pamela's choreography matched Sue Freeman's Charleston workshop at Southport last June! :respect:OK, did you remember that from last June? :what: (If so :worthy: ) Or did you check the DVD?

I'm actually quite warming to Paul and Pamela now. I did initially think he was very full of himself, but he's had that over confidence knocked out of him and is perhaps rebuilding his confidence based on a more realistic level, which will mean he performs better. I also initially thought she was rather ungracious and sulky about being paired with him. But I think they are really starting to work together. Its interesting to see the transformation.

Minnie M
30th-April-2006, 01:52 AM
Had a fab day and was great being there :yeah: :flower: :clap:

Thank you Dangerous Curves for your company even if we didn't get to sit together, and thanks to Colin for getting the tickets :hug:

DC was sitting behind the Salsa teacher near to Stacey, I was sitting with Colin Shaul and co behind Vanessa and next to the row of dancers before and after they did their routine (did anyone see us ?)

I really enjoyed the show, although I think your see more watching it on TV.

Thought Darrien & Hollie were the best - just love the way those two move. She was sitting next to us with an ice pack on her back and stuffing pain killers between dances.

BTW It is so much smaller than it appears on TV

FirstMove
30th-April-2006, 03:41 PM
...OK, did you remember that from last June? :what: (If so :worthy: ) Or did you check the DVD?

Both, I thought it was the same. I checked the DVD, It was :waycool:.

I'm actually quite warming to Paul and Pamela now. I did initially think he was very full of himself, but he's had that over confidence knocked out of him and is perhaps rebuilding his confidence based on a more realistic level, which will mean he performs better. I also initially thought she was rather ungracious and sulky about being paired with him. But I think they are really starting to work together. Its interesting to see the transformation.

I think the tables turned a bit this week, she wasn't so hot on the hand-Jiving. Up until now Paul's been the underachiever of the couple.

Is it me, or P&P always get the best tunes?:devil:

DangerousCurves
30th-April-2006, 04:59 PM
Had a fab day and was great being there :yeah: :flower: :clap:

It was an absolutely fabulous experience! Big Thank you to Colin for arranging the tickets and to Minnie for inviting me :hug: :hug: :hug:

Apparently Mikey spotted me on tv - but I was pulling a horrendous face at the time, and appeared to have about 27 double chins :tears: Its true what they say about those naughty cameras adding stones of weight then....:whistle:

Rhythm King
1st-May-2006, 08:08 AM
So JP & Stacey fluke it it to survive yet another week! I feel they are a one trick couple and were lucky(?) to get the Guapacha, the street elements of which suited them. Admittedly their routine this week probably was stronger than Stewart & Clare (unlike the previous weeks IMHO), but if the dances had been the other way around, I don't think they are adaptable enough to have wowed with a credible Charleston.

I like Darrien and Holly, and Darren and Lana. I felt sorry for Pamela at first and still think she's a better dancer than Paul, but they are beginning to pull together now.

Jitterbug and Lambada next week - let's see what they make of those...

Donna
4th-May-2006, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately I missed it all due to being in London... so what's happening then? Who got knocked out?

can't believe JP is still in... should have been out ages ago. Think he's better off sticking to street. I hope Darren & Holly or Paul & Pamela win it. Mind you, if Clive and Helga were knocked out.. you never know what might happen. :rolleyes:

Gojive
4th-May-2006, 10:46 PM
Here's the schedule for this Saturday:

(NOTE! It's even earlier than last week's :eek: )

The main show - Sat 06 May, BBC1, 18:00 - 19:00
SDF on three - Sat 06 May, BBC3, 19:00 - 19:45
Results - Sat 06 May, BBC1, 21:10 - 21:40

With Stewart and Clare getting knocked out last week, we'd have a great show if all those eliminated so far got together!!

Each couple will be doing either the Jitterbug, or the Lambada :clap:

NOTE TO CAMBERITES: DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR VIDEOS BEFORE YOU LEAVE TOMORROW!! :wink:

FirstMove
6th-May-2006, 10:37 PM
Finally the voting public looked at the dancing. Or maybe the judges were just so scathing that they finally won people over. I was diappointed with the sour grapes in the final interview with Graham.:angry:

Every week I see Pamela celebrate by wrapping her right arm around Paul, where perhaps the other couples manage a quick kiss. I fear that if they get knocked out, she'll manoeuvre that swinging right arm to lamp Paul :eek:

American Smooth and Flamenco next week, along with 2 group dances. I don't know how they remember so many routines with so little practice :confused:

PS, Paul and Pamela still get all the best tunes!

clevedonboy
7th-May-2006, 10:42 AM
PS, Paul and Pamela still get all the best tunes!

Agreed - Rockin' Robin & Wake Me Up weren't exactly inspiring tunes for Jitterbug were they? (of course Wake Me Up does have the word Jitterbug in it)

Glad that P&A got the bullet at last. The dancing like a builder comment was my fave put down of the series to date.

The dance off last night was a waste of time I think since (unless there was some odd voting going on) P&A couldn't overhaul M&J no matter how many public votes they go (M&J 3 from judges + 1 from public = 4 P&A 1 from judges + 2 =3). Also it was painful watching that Lambada again.

doc martin
7th-May-2006, 12:44 PM
Glad that P&A got the bullet at last. The dancing like a builder comment was my fave put down of the series to date.
I think it was an insult to builders everywhere. I think her comment about having the confidence knocked out of her week by week, getting slagged off on national TV was a bit naive. Wasn't it clear that was what her role was at the start? The line up demands one older person who is going to struggle and get loads of sympathy votes from all middle ages couch potatos. It's part of what C4 consider making good TV. It keeps the audience tuning in and bitching about how awful the OAP dancing is/how awful the judges are being nasty to the OAP. I guess they decided they had got all they were going to from her, so ditched her this week.

The dance off last night was a waste of time I think since (unless there was some odd voting going on) P&A couldn't overhaul M&J no matter how many public votes they go (M&J 3 from judges + 1 from public = 4 P&A 1 from judges + 2 =3). Also it was painful watching that Lambada again.
How do you know P&A got 2 from the public? At the point when the dance off occurred they may have had 3 and M&J 2. Then M&J could have got more votes during the dance off and overhauled them. Pure conjecture on my part, but a possible scenario.

Rhythm King
7th-May-2006, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but JP & Stacey still have to go! My comments about the one trick were validated last night with the "Urban" flip in the middle of their uninspiring lambada. Paul and Pamela are still improving and building on their teamwork. Darrien and Hollie are good, but she needs a little more self-confidence so she relaxes a bit more. Ben and Stephannie & Darren and Lana are still doing well. So assuming JP and Stacey's fan club stop them getting the well-deserved chop next week, I think Mark and Jennifer could be in trouble, but then, what do I know?:rolleyes:

Tiggerbabe
7th-May-2006, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but JP & Stacey still have to go!
Unless they improve dramatically by next week, I think they will. I think that JP has definite talent, but he needs to take time out to work on other dances as his lack of experience of anything but "street" is showing.

doc martin
7th-May-2006, 01:54 PM
Sorry, but JP & Stacey still have to go!
True, but would you rather have got rid of them or Paul & Aravon5324
My comments about the one trick were validated last night with the "Urban" flip in the middle of their uninspiring lambada. Paul and Pamela are still improving and building on their teamwork. Darrien and Hollie are good, but she needs a little more self-confidence so she relaxes a bit more. Ben and Stephannie & Darren and Lana are still doing well. So assuming JP and Stacey's fan club stop them getting the well-deserved chop next week, I think Mark and Jennifer could be in trouble, but then, what do I know?:rolleyes:
Well, I agree with your analysis. You could see that Mark & Jennifer do too by the way they were so unsurprised to be in the bottom two.

ElaineB
7th-May-2006, 03:40 PM
I think it was an insult to builders everywhere. I think her comment about having the confidence knocked out of her week by week, getting slagged off on national TV was a bit naive. Wasn't it clear that was what her role was at the start? The line up demands one older person who is going to struggle and get loads of sympathy votes from all middle ages couch potatos. It's part of what C4 consider making good TV. It keeps the audience tuning in and bitching about how awful the OAP dancing is/how awful the judges are being nasty to the OAP. I guess they decided they had got all they were going to from her, so ditched her this week.

Naive? Yes, I would say so, but aren't most of us? I always thought that she wasn't good enough to be on the program and as I said before, it fitted the TV formula. Even so, my heart went out to her. :hug:

Elaine

FirstMove
7th-May-2006, 03:53 PM
The dance off last night was a waste of time I think

I haven't got a video to check, but I'm pretty sure in the 2 dance-offs we've seen, Graham Norton has said that the evictions are based on the public vote. He doesn't mention the judges.

Sorry if I don't remember it correctly. :flower:

doc martin
7th-May-2006, 03:57 PM
Naive? Yes, I would say so, but aren't most of us? I always thought that she wasn't good enough to be on the program and as I said before, it fitted the TV formula. Even so, my heart went out to her. :hug:

Elaine
True. And even if you knew that is what they wanted you on the program for, I guess you would still be tempted. A little part of you would be saying "I'll show 'em. I can make a go of this". She still did far better than I could have done.

Ballroom queen
7th-May-2006, 06:39 PM
I haven't got a video to check, but I'm pretty sure in the 2 dance-offs we've seen, Graham Norton has said that the evictions are based on the public vote. He doesn't mention the judges.

Sorry if I don't remember it correctly. :flower:

its VERY unclear - but then we don't get any numbers or anything from the beeb. Hence all the conspiracy theories etc etc.
I wish the beeb would be more open about it all

Ballroom queen
7th-May-2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry, but JP & Stacey still have to go! My comments about the one trick were validated last night with the "Urban" flip in the middle of their uninspiring lambada. Paul and Pamela are still improving and building on their teamwork. Darrien and Hollie are good, but she needs a little more self-confidence so she relaxes a bit more. Ben and Stephannie & Darren and Lana are still doing well. So assuming JP and Stacey's fan club stop them getting the well-deserved chop next week, I think Mark and Jennifer could be in trouble, but then, what do I know?:rolleyes:

I totally agree. P&A did have to go, but so do JP&S. Such a shame good dancers have gone weeks ago.

David Franklin
7th-May-2006, 07:45 PM
its VERY unclear - but then we don't get any numbers or anything from the beeb. Hence all the conspiracy theories etc etc.
I wish the beeb would be more open about it allI was listening for the details this week; Graham Norton said the couple with the least votes would be going home - since the judges don't vote, that implies to me it's viewer vote only. Of course, that's reading a lot into the way he worded things, and I'm not at all sure that's justified. But another reason to think it's worked this way is that if the judges' scores counted you could get scenarios where the voting couldn't affect the result, and I'm sure the BBC would be wrong to be getting people to spend money voting under those circumstances.

Lindsay
7th-May-2006, 10:06 PM
Unless they improve dramatically by next week, I think they will. I think that JP has definite talent, but he needs to take time out to work on other dances as his lack of experience of anything but "street" is showing.

But I was pleased to see Aravon go on Saturday, think she was way out of her depth. Paul was good I thought. JP out next wk surely.

Rhythm King
8th-May-2006, 05:59 AM
:yeah: I couldn't agree more - he's very good at what he does :worthy: and I cetainly couldn't do anything like that (well I still can't do anything at the moment :tears: ) but it's just the same thing, week after week.

True, but would you rather have got rid of them or Paul & Aravon

I'd trade both of them to get Clive and Helga back! :rolleyes:

Gojive
8th-May-2006, 02:31 PM

What do you know?....same as me by the looks of it RK. Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine, in every way on this! :cheers:

Also, Ballroom Queen - Re, the Beeb and lack of info etc, I agree there too. It's the same with SCD. Both shows are hugely popular, yet the websites are severely lacking in detail, and woefully inadequate in supporting facts, news, and infor. It's a real shame IMO :sad:

Trish
8th-May-2006, 03:28 PM
:yeah: Look out Mark and Jennifer. Actually I think she's better than he is, but either of them is more versatile than JP&S! I do hope they go out next week. It would be a real shame if one of the good dancers that are left are voted out in their place. They seem like nice people, but I'm not sorry to see the back of Paul and Aravon.

I don't think the standard is as good this year generally, but it is improving, so it might be by the time the final arrives.

Got to agree about Pam and Paul getting all the most appropriate music though, makes you wonder how much better the other's could dance if they had something that at least came from the right decade!

What's the dances next week? I've forgotten.

Gojive
8th-May-2006, 03:33 PM
What's the dances next week? I've forgotten.

From "Firstmove"'s post above, the American Smooth (which I love :drool: ), and the Flamenco. I've no idea who's doing what though Trish :)

Donna
8th-May-2006, 03:42 PM
They seem like nice people, but I'm not sorry to see the back of Paul and Aravon. I don't think the standard is as good this year generally, but it is improving, so it might be by the time the final arrives.

I also think they are a lovely couple, but I'm glad to see them go now. Aravons time was definately up, but Paul is a much better dancer than her. If he'd have had somebody on his level he would still be in it now. At least he got further than last year anyway.

I agree the standard is no where near as good as last year. I've been told that Sadie and Joseph don't look so good among the dancers in Burn The Floor... imagine what the winning couple of this series will look like then! :rolleyes:

There were a lot of really good couples who were knocked out at the same time as us which I think is a real shame.. now look what they are left with. They are not the best there compared to what we seen at the auditions.. no way! The judges have only themselves to blame for making it such a crap show. They made the decision, and now they're complaining about it. I also don't think the voting system is fair. If the judges marks aren't included with the public vote, then what's the point in them giving a score in the first place? And to keep the lines open AFTER the show is bang out of order. They should close them and re-open the lines after all couples finish their next performance next week. I don't know about you lot, but I'm really not enjoying this series, and not so bothered if I miss it.. whereas last year, I'd have been so depressed if I even missed one! I doubt they'll be doing SDF 3 next year.

Tessalicious
8th-May-2006, 05:41 PM
Got to agree about Pam and Paul getting all the most appropriate music though, makes you wonder how much better the other's could dance if they had something that at least came from the right decade!Absolutely - but I wonder, how much choice do the dancers get about their music? I'd be interested to know, because if they pick their own songs, at least to some extent, then Paul and Pamela obviously have one very important thing going for them, in their ability to know what music works best for a style. In which case, we shouldn't hold their more appropriate music against them.

Either that or it's fluke, or the music is fixed by someone with a softspot for those two.

Rock Princess
9th-May-2006, 01:04 PM
Agreed - Rockin' Robin & Wake Me Up weren't exactly inspiring tunes for Jitterbug were they? (of course Wake Me Up does have the word Jitterbug in it)

I agree that P&A should have gone but not with the put down. The put downs are cruel and un-necessary there are more constructive ways of giving criticism, after all its dream oppotunity for someone from Joe Public

Gojive
9th-May-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree that P&A should have gone but not with the put down. The put downs are cruel and un-necessary there are more constructive ways of giving criticism, after all its dream oppotunity for someone from Joe Public

:yeah: The 'dancing like a builder' was simply uncalled for IMO. As you say Rock Princess, Joe Public goes into this with a dream, and to some extent expects harsh criticism - but insults are surely not neccessary? :angry:

Welcome to the forum btw :flower:

Donna
9th-May-2006, 06:18 PM
Who said she dances like a builder? Arlene I bet! She's not right in the head anyway. She says and looks at people really weird. She freaks me out.

Gojive
12th-May-2006, 01:06 PM

The main show - Sat 13 May, BBC1, 18:00 - 19:00
SDF on three - Sat 13 May, BBC3, 19:00 - 19:45
Results - Sat 13 May, BBC1, 21:10 - 21:40

Each couple will be doing either the American Smooth, or the Flamenco.

In addition, they will be performing TWO group dances this week: Disco, and a Big Apple number.

I wonder what old acid tongue will come out with this week? ;)

NOTE TO BFGGERS :wink: : DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR VIDEOS[/QUOTE]

David Franklin
12th-May-2006, 01:37 PM

In addition, they will be performing TWO group dances this week: Disco, and a Big Apple number.Have you heard about the roller skates though? Apparently two couples will be on roller skates for the Disco number.

http://www.georgekovats.com/picsbin/jump-the-shark.jpg

:tears:

Donna
12th-May-2006, 01:45 PM

In addition, they will be performing TWO group dances this week: Disco, and a Big Apple number.

I wonder what old acid tongue will come out with this week? ;)

NOTE TO BFGGERS :wink: : DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR VIDEOS

Enjoy :waycool:[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to see the flamenco! Luuuurve it! I'm sure Arlene will STILL have a lot to say though. :mad:

Gojive
12th-May-2006, 01:54 PM
Have you heard about the roller skates though? Apparently two couples will be on roller skates for the Disco number.

http://www.georgekovats.com/picsbin/jump-the-shark.jpg

Sounds like it could be a wheely interesting dance :D

Can't wait to see the flamenco! Luuuurve it! I'm sure Arlene will STILL have a lot to say though.

I'm looking forward to the AS :drool: That's a dance high on my list of 'wanna learn!' :waycool:

Donna
12th-May-2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds like it could be a wheely interesting dance :D

I'm looking forward to the AS :drool: That's a dance high on my list of 'wanna learn!' :waycool:

Hmmm maybe they fit in an American Smooth workshop on one of these weekenders? :whistle:

Gojive
12th-May-2006, 02:44 PM
Hmmm maybe they fit in an American Smooth workshop on one of these weekenders? :whistle:

If they did, then that would be one workshop I'd definately be up for (and gladly pay extra, especially if it was Anton and Erin teaching it :worthy: )

Donna
12th-May-2006, 02:55 PM
If they did, then that would be one workshop I'd definately be up for (and gladly pay extra, especially if it was Anton and Erin teaching it :worthy: )

:yeah: Now that would be excellent! Organisers! I hope you're reading this!! :whistle:

Rhythm King
12th-May-2006, 03:14 PM
There is a poll on the SDF website asking who people think will be knock out this week. 67.2% have voted for JP & Stacey, 21.2% for Mark & Jennifer and the remaining 11.6% spread fairly evenly amongst the rest, although Paul & Pamela are the next highest score.

Paul & Pamela and Darrien & Hollie are the couples on roller skates for the Disco.

Tessalicious
12th-May-2006, 03:18 PM
Paul & Pamela and Darrien & Hollie are the couples on roller skates for the Disco.Any particular reason for that? Is it because they were specifically chosen to do so, because they happened to know how to skate already, or because they picked it up quickest, I wonder? Looking forward to watching it this week, and seeing what they do with the two main dances should be really interesting.

Rhythm King
12th-May-2006, 03:34 PM
Any particular reason for that? Is it because they were specifically chosen to do so, because they happened to know how to skate already, or because they picked it up quickest, I wonder? Looking forward to watching it this week, and seeing what they do with the two main dances should be really interesting.

Vanessa asked them to. She has also let JP incorporate some of his street dancing into his solo bit of the disco routine. Time for yet another one of his signature flips then :rolleyes: It's about as predictable as people talking about tango on the forum.

ElaineB
12th-May-2006, 07:13 PM
Have you heard about the roller skates though? Apparently two couples will be on roller skates for the Disco number.

Will they be jumping through hoops of fire as well, or swallowing swords? :D

Elaine

Baruch
12th-May-2006, 07:26 PM
Will they be jumping through hoops of fire as well, or swallowing swords? :D
Is this a hint as to what will be in your & Simon's next showcase? :D

(Vindaloo is good for producing a ring of fire :wink: )

under par
13th-May-2006, 07:29 PM
My vote goes for very short well fitted pink shorts.

Kept my attention.... WOW!:drool:

Minnie M
13th-May-2006, 10:17 PM
so tired fell asleep and missed the Big Apple - so wanted to see that :tears:

Shame Pam & Paul have gone, it really should have been Stacey & JP although I thought the young couple, Mark & Jennifer should have gone (don't rate them much)

Rhythm King
13th-May-2006, 10:17 PM
What a TRAVESTY!!!

Coming bottom in the judges' vote were JP & Stacey :rolleyes: with 22 and Mark & Jennifer with 21. Needlees to say this wasn't reflected in the public voting and JP & Stacey were in the frame for eviction, but with Paul and Pamela who had scored a respectable 28 for their routine, although Paul's roller-disco left something to be desired.

"The Curse of First" struck again as Paul & Pamela were dismissed after dancing an improved version of their flamenco. I can only think that people had voted tactically in attempt to keep Mark & Jennifer in over JP & Stacey and that this mis-fired with P&P falling victim.

Oh well, at this rate JP & Stacey will probably win :sick:

And sorry Minnie, The Big Apple was good, with Ryan calling and dancing solo in the centre :worthy:.

FirstMove
14th-May-2006, 12:28 AM
And sorry Minnie, The Big Apple was good, with Ryan calling and dancing solo in the centre :worthy:.

Um, wasn't it exactly the same music and routine as last year?

I was warming to P&P, although I think their curse this week was that, unusually, they didn't get suitable music.

I think that the Street Dancing fraternity of Brighton are going to have big phone bills this month:eek: .

Which weekender is going to be the first to include roller-disco? :rofl:

Gojive
14th-May-2006, 12:56 AM
so tired fell asleep and missed the Big Apple - so wanted to see that :tears:

I have it recorded if you want it Min :flower:

What another shocking result. On the plus side though, it gives my two favourite couples less competition: Darrien & Hollie, and Darren & Lana :clap:

Minnie M
14th-May-2006, 09:29 AM
I have it recorded if you want it Min :flower:
:clap: :clap: yes please Gojive - it is EXTRA special to me (can't tell as I will be shot) thank you :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

ElaineB
14th-May-2006, 10:39 AM
What another shocking result. On the plus side though, it gives my two favourite couples less competition: Darrien & Hollie, and Darren & Lana :clap:

As they closed the shot on JP's weeping girlfriend and Stacey's two children, I just knew that the Public would vote them in. :angry: Directing the program in this way is just not fair on the other dancers. Paul and Pam were far better than JP and Stacey and I think both couples were shocked at the results.

Elaine

ElaineB
14th-May-2006, 10:41 AM
Is this a hint as to what will be in your & Simon's next showcase? :D

So, the secret is out.........all this of course on horseback (the horses will be wearing the rollerskates!)

Elaine

Rhythm King
14th-May-2006, 01:09 PM

So, the secret is out.........all this of course on horseback (the horses will be wearing the rollerskates!)

Elaine
And the hoops of fire - don't forget the hoops of fire! :rofl:

under par
14th-May-2006, 01:22 PM
And the hoops of fire - don't forget the hoops of fire! :rofl:

Is that caused when everyone has an extremely hot chicken vindaloo the night before??:innocent:

or is that a ring if fire!

Rhythm King
14th-May-2006, 01:27 PM
or is that a ring if fire!
Better put your loo roll in the fridge then UP!

I'll have a korma - it's less of a trauma :whistle:

(sorry that was awful, I don't know what came over me :blush: )

under par
14th-May-2006, 01:30 PM
Better put your loo roll in the fridge then UP!

I'll have a korma - it's less of a trauma :whistle:

(sorry that was awful, I don't know what came over me :blush: )
#

Surely a new thread

I'll have a largey ...... ....onion bhaji

and a portion of Sag aloo ..... too

Jive Brummie
14th-May-2006, 03:17 PM
Christopher Parker Syndrome strikes again:sick:

JP & Stacey or Pamela (good shorts:whistle: ) & Paul?

Surely there should have been no contest. Yeah, yeah, JP & Stacey are good at their thing (not sure what it is) but Pamela and Paul have consistently raised their game to meet the standard each week...

Although it was another shock result, was anyone really that surprised?

(cut to shot of Stacey's weeping children.....)

Darren & Lana and Darrien & Holly for the finals without a doubt...:worthy:

JB x x

Minnie M
14th-May-2006, 04:37 PM
Next week it is a Sunday :yeah: :clap:

8:00 pm
Strictly Dance Fever
With the final drawing ever closer, there's everything to dance for as the remaining competitors perform either the milonga or the lindyhop.

9:30 pm
The Vicar of Dibley

Where are you Gojive :) need you to confirm above :really:
.......... does this mean there is one show only that lasts an hour and a half :clap: fantastic :yeah:

They have moved it for :sick: :-

8:00 pm
Eurovision Song Contest 2006
Live coverage of the Eurovision Song Contest, with Maria Menounos and Sakis Rouvas hosting the show from Athens and Terry Wogan providing his inimitable commentary for UK viewers. [S]
11:05 pm
BBC News

bigdjiver
14th-May-2006, 05:53 PM
It is not "curse of the first" it is the curse of "third from bottom, according to the judges". This blind voting system is a critical weakness of this program format. People vote to save their favourites who are perceived to be in danger.

Exposing the actual position may produce worse problems, or at least the perception of worse problems. However I would like to see something tried. Perhaps giving the actual combined positions at the end of the program?

David Franklin
14th-May-2006, 06:28 PM
It is not "curse of the first" it is the curse of "third from bottom, according to the judges". This blind voting system is a critical weakness of this program format.I'm sure the BBC sees it as a feature - as it probably means people are more likely to vote.

What's made things worse this series is the dance off. As you say, the bottom couples tend to get more votes because the public percieves they need them. But at least that was somewhat counteracted by the fact that the judges' score did matter. But now if you end up in the bottom two it's all down to the viewer vote. So the judges' scores have much less influence than they used to. I'd be surprised if Paul and Pamela would have gone out in the old system.

bigdjiver
14th-May-2006, 07:43 PM
What's made things worse this series is the dance off...:mad: A masterpiece of planning - Let's see the worst dances again - :mad:

FirstMove
14th-May-2006, 08:17 PM
The Beeb are running a blind auction with the voting to maximise the revenue. It's like bidding for a house. In an open auction, the sale price is just bigger than the amount the second richest bidder can afford. In a closed auction, the sale price will be close to the amount the richest bidder can afford. As it's raising money for charity, that in itself doesn't seem so bad to me.

What is annoying is that the judges' scores don't seem to count after the dance-off. The sympathy vote for the bottom two combined with the very little time one can vote after the dance-off seem to doom the 3rd worst couple.

In the final week, with only 3 remaining, it might be unwise to dance too well :rolleyes:

bigdjiver
14th-May-2006, 08:56 PM
The Beeb are running a blind auction with the voting to maximise the revenue. It's like bidding for a house. In an open auction, the sale price is just bigger than the amount the second richest bidder can afford. In a closed auction, the sale price will be close to the amount the richest bidder can afford...Given that many people will have voted long before the end of the dance program, I suspect that the knowledge that ones favourite was still in danger would promp many people to vote again, and perhaps more than once.

Robin
15th-May-2006, 10:14 AM
I know its a blatant advert, but for those of you interested, Joseph & Sadie will be doing a demo and class at CerocMetro's Stevenage Venue this wednesday.

Dance Demon
15th-May-2006, 10:42 AM
I blame Arlene Phillips. When she make such cutting remarks about a couple, the public come out in support of who she slags off. JP & Stacy should have gone on saturday without doubt.

Trish
15th-May-2006, 11:46 AM
I blame Arlene Phillips. When she make such cutting remarks about a couple, the public come out in support of who she slags off. JP & Stacy should have gone on saturday without doubt.

I would mostly agree with you there, but this week she didn't slag them off anywhere near as badly as last week.

I really don't like the new system, although as has already been said, I'm sure it does raise more money. Although I don't really like Paul very much, their dancing was far superior. But as my husband keeps reminding me, this is a popularity contest not a dance competition and if I don't like Paul then probably a lot of other people don't like him either and therefore won't vote for him.

The only thing I can think of that might work now, is that if JP&S are in the bottom two next week all of the forumites vote for the other people in the dance off about 7 times. Probably still wouldn't work though :sad:

I feel really sorry for whatever professional company has agreed to book these people though, they must be getting a bit worried by now! If the final is made up of Darrien & Hollie, and Darren & Lana and Ben & Stephanie, I bet they'll be letting out huge sighs of relief! At least those three can dance, even if they might not be quite up to professional standards with everything.

latinlover
15th-May-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm sure the BBC sees it as a feature - as it probably means people are more likely to vote.

What's made things worse this series is the dance off. As you say, the bottom couples tend to get more votes because the public percieves they need them. But at least that was somewhat counteracted by the fact that the judges' score did matter. But now if you end up in the bottom two it's all down to the viewer vote. So the judges' scores have much less influence than they used to. I'd be surprised if Paul and Pamela would have gone out in the old system.

This show is a real disaster now:angry:
it was always a poor second in my mind to strictly come dancing , but now I kind of don't care if I see it any more.
the voting system is a mess,and is clearly not designed to have anything to do with rewarding good dancing. come to think of it ,neither is the direction...

Christopher Parker Syndrome strikes again:sick:
(cut to shot of Stacey's weeping children.....)
x x

the camera work has been consistently poor, lessons which should have been learnt from the first series haven't been(except pehaps the rubbish first programme when Victor:respect: got knocked out)

IMHO the public should not vote in the dance off, it should be the judges' call
otherwise what is the point of having them?
the way this sis going , poor old JB & stacey will find themselves in "Burn The floor" and completely out of their depth - I have heard it said that even Joseph & Sadie aren't all that in it(unsubstantiated rumour), so how are these two going to cope?
Once again it's the lowest common denominator which sets the bench mark for excellence in this country,just like GCSE's & A-levels..... don't get me started!!!!
rant over, back to work

David Franklin
15th-May-2006, 12:17 PM
IMHO the public should not vote in the dance off, it should be the judges' callWell, it would make sense in terms of the competition. However...

otherwise what is the point of having them?£££ :devil:

the way this sis going , poor old JB & stacey will find themselves in "Burn The floor" and completely out of their depth - I have heard it said that even Joseph & Sadie aren't all that in it(unsubstantiated rumour), so how are these two going to cope?Not sure unsubstantiated rumour is the right term; I've seen J/S in BTF, and would agree they don't look good in it; such was consensus of the other MJ dancers with me as well. Not saying J/S aren't good dancers, but their strength doesn't lie in ballroom, so having them on stage against professional ballroom dancers who've probably been doing it since the age of 5 was always going to be a big ask. To make things worse for them, it doesn't look like the BTF choreographers really worked on integrating them into the show - it felt a bit like "here, go do your 3 best SDF routines and don't bother us".

I thought it was very telling that when J/S did a cameo during this season's SDF, Graham Norton said something like "you're now professional dancers" and Joseph said, "Well, trying to be". I don't get the impression it's all worked out exactly as they'd hoped.

Donna
15th-May-2006, 03:35 PM
As they closed the shot on JP's weeping girlfriend and Stacey's two children, I just knew that the Public would vote them in. :angry: Directing the program in this way is just not fair on the other dancers. Paul and Pam were far better than JP and Stacey and I think both couples were shocked at the results.

Elaine

I'm extremely disappointed with the result AGAIN too! I had a feeling that JP and Stacey would get the sympathy vote. :angry:

I laughed my head off when Stacey's little boy said, 'I think Arlene Phillips should live in the sewers with all the dirty rats!" :rofl:

latinlover
15th-May-2006, 03:43 PM
I laughed my head off when Stacey's little boy said, 'I think Arlene Phillips should live in the sewers with all the dirty rats!" :rofl:

yeah, and it didn't sound rehearsed AT ALL :wink:

Donna
15th-May-2006, 03:46 PM
yeah, and it didn't sound rehearsed AT ALL :wink:

Just what I was thinking! He was obviously told to say that.. probably by his mum! :rofl:

jiveknight
16th-May-2006, 08:49 PM
The contestants came down to the 100 Club in London last night and danced to us. They are learning Lindy and came down to be filmed getting the atmosphere and dancing with other swing dancers and jivers etc.

I don't know how much they will show but they danced and filmed for most of the night and had a lot of fun. It was a great night and they were pretty good too. The place was of course packed and it was a hot and wild night! :clap:

Apparently its on Sunday this week coz of the Eurovision song contest.

Donna
17th-May-2006, 06:03 PM
The contestants came down to the 100 Club in London last night and danced to us. They are learning Lindy and came down to be filmed getting the atmosphere and dancing with other swing dancers and jivers etc.

I don't know how much they will show but they danced and filmed for most of the night and had a lot of fun. It was a great night and they were pretty good too. The place was of course packed and it was a hot and wild night! :clap:

Apparently its on Sunday this week coz of the Eurovision song contest.

Aaahh the Eurovision Song Contest. Now that's something I haven't seen for while! :rolleyes: Why can't they put the Eurovision on a Sunday instead! :mad:

LMC
17th-May-2006, 10:29 PM
I thought it was very telling that when J/S did a cameo during this season's SDF, Graham Norton said something like "you're now professional dancers" and Joseph said, "Well, trying to be". I don't get the impression it's all worked out exactly as they'd hoped.
They are not trained teachers and my very limited evidence from tonight is that they don't suit their classes to their "audience". Perhaps it was 6 of 1 and half a dozen of t'other as they should have been better briefed - but perhaps they should have asked too?

I haven't really been following SDF, but from the little I've seen of the current series I like Darren & Lana.

Minnie M
17th-May-2006, 10:34 PM
They are not trained teachers and my very limited evidence from tonight is that they don't suit their classes to their "audience".
I heard some good feedback from their classes at Camber :flower:

Dorothy
18th-May-2006, 10:54 AM
I haven't really been following SDF, but from the little I've seen of the current series I like Darren & Lana.

Ditto. I am loving this series, haven't missed a week yet !

Donna
18th-May-2006, 03:04 PM

I'm not so bothered about it this year either. :sad: If they do decide to do more auditions next year I hope it's a better one than this series. You know the American version makes the best dancers on our SDF look pathetic! (but then the Americans seem to be good at everything don't they! :sick:)

Gojive
19th-May-2006, 04:05 PM
Here's the schedule for this SUNDAY! (Thanks Minnie for pointing that out :flower: ):

The main show AND RESULTS - Sun 21 May, BBC1, 20:00 - 21:30
SDF on three - Sun 21 May, BBC3, 21:30 - 22:00

Each couple will be doing either the Lindy Hop, or the Milonga.

The group dance this week, will be a Line Dance.

Minnie M
19th-May-2006, 07:01 PM
BTW the Big Apple from last week was great :worthy: thanks Gojive :hug: and now I have it for keeps :clap: :clap:

corgito
19th-May-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi, new here have enjoyed reading your posts- anyway the remaining couples will be dancing both the Milonga, Lindyhop and the group linedance. Should be fun and exciting, wondering who will leave?

Gojive
21st-May-2006, 07:43 PM
BTW the Big Apple from last week was great :worthy: thanks Gojive :hug: and now I have it for keeps :clap: :clap:

You're welcome Minnie :hug:

Corgito - Welcome to the forum :flower:

Head's up fans....it's on in 15 mins :clap:

Caro
21st-May-2006, 09:09 PM
am watching SDF just now.... and I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ON EARTH you can dance a milonga to some random pop track!!! :mad: And even less how judges can actually give straight 10's for that! :mad: :angry:

I thought the first couple, Darren and Lana, who actually danced on a milonga track, did a fantastic job to put this routine together in just one week!! :respect: They didn't look like professional tango dancers but I was certainly impressed.

Now for the others... where was the milonga ? :confused:

*stopped to watch the line dancing* ... liked it :nice:

Lory
21st-May-2006, 09:30 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ON EARTH you can dance a milonga to some random pop track!!! :mad:
:yeah: What an earth are they thinking, when they choose the music for the different dance styles:confused: :confused: :confused:

ducasi
21st-May-2006, 09:52 PM
What an earth are they thinking, when they choose the music for the different dance styles:confused: :confused: :confused:
Well if you can dance Tango to Natalie Imbruglia and such (http://www.neotango.com/neotangos.html), why can't you dance Milonga to "some random pop track"?

David Franklin
21st-May-2006, 10:05 PM
Well if you can dance Tango to Natalie Imbruglia and such (http://www.neotango.com/neotangos.html), why can't you dance Milonga to "some random pop track"?Because what is important is the track, not the artist who sings it. The very fact that that site has a list of tracks somewhat implies they don't think "random pop tracks" are a good medium for milongas.

Lory
21st-May-2006, 10:26 PM
Well if you can dance Tango to Natalie Imbruglia and such (http://www.neotango.com/neotangos.html), why can't you dance Milonga to "some random pop track"?
Call me a traditionalist, unadventurous or even boring if you like :cool: but I believe, if your trying to show the essence of different dance styles, you should at least use music that represents that particular style!

Some of these young dancers have never danced these styles before and I know for myself, if I have the right music, it definitely influences how I dance.

Remember that little subject called musical interpretation?:devil:

One of the tracks even had an Arabic feel to it, to me it would have been more suited to a 'belly dance':mad:

Feelingpink
21st-May-2006, 10:34 PM
:yeah: What an earth are they thinking, when they choose the music for the different dance styles:confused: :confused: :confused:Absolutely. JP and Stacie got such a dud song - so 'unmilonga-y' - that I didn't think they had a chance in hell of using milonga-style choreography if they were going to dance anything that suited the music.

I haven't watched much of this series, but found myself disliking Ben more and more - was there any time when he was looking at his partner rather than a camera (or searching out a mirror?) Surely he wants to perform to the audience, but ... :sick:

clevedonboy
21st-May-2006, 11:05 PM
One of the tracks even had an Arabic feel to it, to me it would have been more suited to a 'belly dance':mad:

I think you are referring to "Kiss Kiss" origanally performed by Holly Vallance - worked really well for Darrien and Hollie but is of course widely seen as undancable by MJ DJs

ducasi
21st-May-2006, 11:14 PM
Because what is important is the track, not the artist who sings it. The very fact that that site has a list of tracks somewhat implies they don't think "random pop tracks" are a good medium for milongas.
And that's why I think that calling it "some random pop track" is an injustice – do you think they just thought it sounded nice?

I think part of what they are trying to do is show that you can dance many of these dances to non-traditional music. The fact that the couple dancing to the music that I believe we're talking about got a judges' score of 40/40 must say something about their interpretation of the music in the form of a milonga dance.

ducasi
21st-May-2006, 11:16 PM
Call me a traditionalist, unadventurous or even boring if you like :cool: but I believe, if your trying to show the essence of different dance styles, you should at least use music that represents that particular style! They show you traditional, they show you alternative. You get to see both. :)

Caro
21st-May-2006, 11:22 PM

Because what is important is the track, not the artist who sings it. The very fact that that site has a list of tracks somewhat implies they don't think "random pop tracks" are a good medium for milongas.

I tried to find it on the internet but didn't manage, so I haven't actually heard it to say that I wouldn't dance tango to it.

Anyway, the essence of a Milonga is to be a light-hearted version of Tango, a piece of music happy, cheerful and cheeky and your dance should aim at translating that: play with the music, loads of fun with feet (heels, toes etc), small steps etc... but also very rythmic (by that I mean fast and with plenty of different instruments to play with when interpretaing the music into a dance).

I can't even remember what tracks the last couples danced to, but there is just now way they could be called a milonga!!! It just ISN'T! :eek: Consequently how could you dance a milonga??? :confused: Some tracks were even very slow! (I'm thinking the one used by JP and Stacey). It's actually a much harder job try and do some step seen in milongas to a pop track!

Call me a traditionalist, unadventurous or even boring if you like :cool: but I believe, if your trying to show the essence of different dance styles, you should at least use music that represents that particular style!

Some of these young dancers have never danced these styles before and I know for myself, if I have the right music, it definitely influences how I dance.

Remember that little subject called musical interpretation?:devil:

:yeah: totally agree... but now thinking about it I actually think that among all those 'random pop tracks' the arabic one was the closest one to a milonga... (it hurts saying that, it so clearly isn't!) at least there was some rythm to dance and play with. Or may be I'm just getting indulgent because the dancers did quite a good job out of it.

Caro
21st-May-2006, 11:27 PM
They show you traditional, they show you alternative. You get to see both. :)

I'll go for the alternative for the 'arabic' track. I think some people may successfully make a milonga out of it - although it did surprise me. Darrien and Hollie certainly made me think about it.

Now for the others... can't even see that as alternative. Just plain non sense. :sick:

may be I'm just too narrow-minded :wink:

ducasi
21st-May-2006, 11:48 PM
I tried to find it on the internet but didn't manage, so I haven't actually heard it to say that I wouldn't dance tango to it. OK, from the same list on the page I linked to... Would you dance Tango to "Wade in the Water" by Eva Cassidy or "They" by Jem? Some people who make their living teaching tango think it's perfectly acceptable.

Anyway, the essence of a Milonga is to be a light-hearted version of Tango, a piece of music happy, cheerful and cheeky and your dance should aim at translating that: play with the music, loads of fun with feet (heels, toes etc), small steps etc... but also very rythmic (by that I mean fast and with plenty of different instruments to play with when interpretaing the music into a dance). Sounds a lot like how I'd describe a lot of pop music...

... Some tracks were even very slow! (I'm thinking the one used by JP and Stacey). It's actually a much harder job try and do some step seen in milongas to a pop track! But then maybe they chose a slower track because they didn't think they could keep up with a faster track? (Does anyone have a list of songs used for the Milongas?)

My point is... If we always had to dance to the original style of music for the dance, most MJ and WCS classes would be pretty empty... No?

(Talking of which – was that some WCS I saw in part of the line dance?)

Baruch
21st-May-2006, 11:56 PM
I think you are referring to "Kiss Kiss" origanally performed by Holly Vallance - worked really well for Darrien and Hollie but is of course widely seen as undancable by MJ DJs
Sorry to be pedantic (as usual....) but it was originally performed by Tarkan and titled Simarik.

Caro
22nd-May-2006, 12:22 AM
OK, from the same list on the page I linked to... Would you dance Tango to "Wade in the Water" by Eva Cassidy or "They" by Jem?

The only one I managed to listen to just now is "they"; and although tango would not spring to mind when listening to it, I think I understand where the 'tango' is coming from on this track and would probably consider it as an 'alternative' style of tango; especially if some professional tango dancers can interpret it as a tango track and dance a recognisable tango to it.
It's all down to musical interpretation in the end, if they choose to dance to some of the instruments/lyrics and ignore some other stuff, and make a tango out of it... why not, that's actually very interesting and can uncover some things in a tune that you've never actually listen to before.

But how can you interpret something that doesn't exist? I'm thinking of the track used by JP&Stacey especially... even if they danced double time, the point of a milonga is to play with beats and accents etc... how can you play with them if they're just not there? :confused:

Some people who make their living teaching tango think it's perfectly acceptable.

Interesting as to why they see it as acceptable. Could that be to popularize tango to an audience that doesn't know/like tango music? Hence trying to deviate from tango 'rules' and customs, in adapting it to more popular music? Is that still tango then, or 'alternative tango' ?

But then maybe they chose a slower track because they didn't think they could keep up with a faster track? .

that's probably the reason, but sorry, a milonga IS fast. Like a rock'n'roll IS fast.

My point is... If we always had to dance to the original style of music for the dance, most MJ and WCS classes would be pretty empty... No? .

excellent point indeed. But while MJ and WCS happily acknowledge that they've borrowed their influences and moves from other dance styles (if not born by the mixture of them), I'm not sure this is the case from other 'source' dances like tango or milonga.
I'm probably going to get nailed down for that last sentence, because my knowlegde of history of dance is pretty poor; but hey... that's how I feel: I need a milonga track to dance a milonga! may be it just reflects me being a beginner at all this dance and musicality stuffs!

Anyway... enjoyed the different point of view :flower: , am off to bed now!

ElaineB
22nd-May-2006, 07:24 AM
Absolutely. JP and Stacie got such a dud song - so 'unmilonga-y' - that I didn't think they had a chance in hell of using milonga-style choreography if they were going to dance anything that suited the music.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Elaine

Tiggerbabe
22nd-May-2006, 08:02 AM
But then maybe they chose a slower track because they didn't think they could keep up with a faster track?
I don't think the contestants get to choose the music, my understanding is that they are told which tracks they are dancing to.

Cruella
22nd-May-2006, 08:40 AM
I have not watched any of this series since the auditions (due to always going dancing on a sat :rolleyes:)so i had no idea who the favourites were etc.
Darrien and Hollies Milonga, :worthy: I thought this dance soooo deserved the 40 they were awarded.:respect: It moved me so much i cried. :blush: I know nothing about the suitability of which music to which dance style, i just know how it made me feel to watch it.
I also loved the Lindy by the first couple Darren and Lana.

under par
22nd-May-2006, 08:54 AM
I have not watched any of this series since the auditions (due to always going dancing on a sat :rolleyes:)so i had no idea who the favourites were etc.

I have to say that i watched the auditions and was dismayed at the last audition which placed dancers in the house.

I could not believe what a high proportion of male leads who where openly gay or actively camp!

Call me old fashioned but as far as partner dancing has a problem attracting and retaining male leads this programme must be seen as a positive disincentive to attract hetrosexual males into partner dancing whether that is Ceroc, Leroc or ballroom.

I have hardly watched the series as a result.

David Franklin
22nd-May-2006, 08:55 AM
And that's why I think that calling it "some random pop track" is an injustice – do you think they just thought it sounded nice?Who knows what the producers think. But don't forget they decided Will and Hanna (in SCD) would dance a Tango to 'Pretty Woman'. All the judges and commentators during the week were saying they thought it was a crazy choice of music. And Will and Hanna went out that week. Anyone who's been involved with these shows will tell you the dancers (and coaches etc.) don't get a lot of choice about the music.

The fact that the couple dancing to the music that I believe we're talking about got a judges' score of 40/40 must say something about their interpretation of the music in the form of a milonga dance.Actually, the track Darrien and Hollie scored 40 for ('Kiss Kiss') would be a good example of "alternative, but the feel isn't completely wrong and there's a lot of accents there to work with" - I can live with that. But JP and Stacey danced to 'Kiss Me', which IMHO has totally the wrong feel and far less in the way of accents.

For what it's worth, the wife and I thought Darrien and Hollie's routine looked amazing, but didn't look that much like a Milonga. But seeing as the judges usually go for spectacle over authenticity every time, that didn't seem to hurt their scores...

Gojive
22nd-May-2006, 09:37 AM
Music choices apart, I thought last night's show was the best of the series so far. All the couples raised their game this week, but obviously there was still quite a gulf between the best and the worst.

Darrien & Hollie's Milonga was the first dance this series to really make me go 'wow!', even if it was not quite as mind blowing as Danny & Jodie's last series.

I thought JP & Stacey had their best dance for weeks with the Lindy Hop too.

Finally, how gracious Mark & Jennifer were in defeat! :worthy: I really hope those two continue to dance, and fulfill their dreams when they're older :)

My apologies if I mislead anyone, when I said each couple were doing either the Lindy or the Milonga - I had no idea they were all doing both! :blush:

Dance Demon
22nd-May-2006, 10:16 AM
Must say that as each week goes by i like Ben less and less. He is coming accross to me as a totally arrogant, posing w*nker. The bit in practice where he kicked his partner in the face, and then proceded to tell HER off for not getting the move right was bang out of order. I think it cost them a lot of votes, as they danced really well but ended up in the bottom two. unfortunately he thinks that he is better than his partner. I feel sorry for her coz he's a total tosser in my eyes:mad:

Trish
22nd-May-2006, 10:38 AM
Must say that as each week goes by i like Ben less and less. He is coming accross to me as a totally arrogant, posing w*nker. The bit in practice where he kicked his partner in the face, and then proceded to tell HER off for not getting the move right was bang out of order. I think it cost them a lot of votes, as they danced really well but ended up in the bottom two. unfortunately he thinks that he is better than his partner. I feel sorry for her coz he's a total tosser in my eyes:mad:

:yeah: Assuming the BBCs coverage of him is to be believed. He is an idiot for telling her off - and he's definitely really arrogant. But Arlene asked him if he did apologise and he said he did and Stephannie didn't look as unhappy with him as you'd have expected, so you've go to wonder whether it was just sneaky cutting by the editors to some extent.

Can't believe JP and Stacey are still in there. Although I think Mark & Jennifer needed to go as well, they've neither of them up to the standard of the other three couples. I do hope though, that if JP&S end up in the final the public will come to their senses. With any luck, as Darren & Lana and Hollie and Darrien are all popular, and coming across well, sense will prevail. Otherwise I think if JP&S won it, that's the end of the show, as I can't imagine any professional dance outfit being happy to take them on!

Got to agree with everyone about the milonga music. Although the Lindy music seemed fairly sensible for once.

ducasi
22nd-May-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't think the contestants get to choose the music, my understanding is that they are told which tracks they are dancing to.
Maybe... But *someone* has chosen the music for the couple, you'd expect it would be chosen to in some way suit the dancers and the dance they are doing. I presume they are not employing all these dance professionals (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/about/coaches.shtml) for no reason...

If their Tango & Milonga coach had a problem with the music and didn't think there was room for interpretation in the music, wouldn't she say and get it changed?

(All that said, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham was a truly awful choice of song to do a Jitterbug to. ;))

Donna
22nd-May-2006, 11:55 AM
*stopped to watch the line dancing* ... liked it :nice:

Now those who seen the linedancing won't take the mick everytime I tell them I do it! :) The girl who taught them in the house is "Rachel McEnay" who is a member of Masters In Line. There is only four of them and they are the top linedancers in the country. They haven't long finished a video shoot for a new (cheesy) pop tune :rolleyes: that's coming out soon... and they say it's going to be big!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see it on Sunday so will have to wait until next week to see it on video. Did the jive aces appear on it?

Rhythm King
22nd-May-2006, 12:33 PM
I agree that Mark and Jennifer's time had come. JP and Stacey have improved, but they simply shouldn't still be there, better and more deserving dancers than them have been knocked by perverse voting earlier in the show.

I thought the Line Dance was terrific. Whilst I hadn't really seen that sort of line dancing before, the quality and musicality of the line dancers I have met shows there must be something in it - just look at Jodie and Danny and James and Claire from last year's show and the fabulous WCS teachers around, who have country bacgrounds.

As to the Lindy, oh dear. Well people were commenting on the milonga, but no one's mentioned the Lindy yet. All the routines were very Charleston-based, with some Lindy style mess arounds and shorty georges and so forth, but where were the core Lindy moves? Where were the proper stance, the Lindy Turns and circles? And I don't think I saw any triple steps, or indication of 6 and 8 beat timing. I though it was more Charleston-based rock'n'roll.:sad:

Well next week they have an adagio and one of the dances they haven't done yet. If JP and Stacey get through that, I'll challenge Jonathan Ross to a tennis match, while listening to Take That!

Gojive
22nd-May-2006, 02:02 PM
If JP and Stacey get through that, I'll challenge Jonathan Ross to a tennis match, while listening to Take That!

What a racket that will be!...:yum:

Minnie M
23rd-May-2006, 12:18 AM
I can't believe I missed it :eek: I watched Heartbeat and then Big Brother - clean forgot :rolleyes:

Mind you after seeing the clips from the BBC site, I don't think I missed that much :really:

Trish
23rd-May-2006, 04:55 PM
As to the Lindy, oh dear. Well people were commenting on the milonga, but no one's mentioned the Lindy yet. All the routines were very Charleston-based, with some Lindy style mess arounds and shorty georges and so forth, but where were the core Lindy moves? Where were the proper stance, the Lindy Turns and circles? And I don't think I saw any triple steps, or indication of 6 and 8 beat timing. I though it was more Charleston-based rock'n'roll.:sad:

Well next week they have an adagio and one of the dances they haven't done yet. If JP and Stacey get through that, I'll challenge Jonathan Ross to a tennis match, while listening to Take That!

I don't know much about Lindy, but it did seem a bit more Charleston-ish to me too. I quite enjoyed it though and at least the music was more suitable.

What sort of dance is an Adagio? I presume something slow and stately like the music, but I must admit I haven't heard of it as a dance.

Rhythm King
23rd-May-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't know much about Lindy, but it did seem a bit more Charleston-ish to me too. I quite enjoyed it though and at least the music was more suitable.

What sort of dance is an Adagio? I presume something slow and stately like the music, but I must admit I haven't heard of it as a dance.
From what was being said on the BBC3 show, after the main event, I got the impression that this could be ballet-based. They showed one of the morning ballet sessions and the ballet teacher was interviewed for his comments. They also had their resident "comedian" take part in the class. Oh how we laughed :what:

Lory
23rd-May-2006, 05:49 PM
Here's the BBC's explanation of the dance (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/learning/adagio.shtml), I think this week really might be the week JP and Stacy go out, as I presume most of the others have had some kind of ballet training!

Donna
23rd-May-2006, 06:01 PM
I think this week really might be the week JP and Stacy go out,

I do hope so! This is what I said last week, the week before last, and even the week before that! :grin:

Trish
25th-May-2006, 04:46 PM
I do hope so! This is what I said last week, the week before last, and even the week before that! :grin:

:yeah: I hope so too!

Thanks guys for the explanation and the link. Should be interesting, I'm sure most of the couples will do it beautifully but JP and Stacey :sick: :mad:

Donna
25th-May-2006, 05:17 PM
:yeah: I hope so too!

Thanks guys for the explanation and the link. Should be interesting, I'm sure most of the couples will do it beautifully but JP and Stacey :sick: :mad:

For this one it sounds as though you have to look elegant and light on your feet. Stacey seems heavy on hers. They've definately got to go this sat. I can see who's going to win this already!

corgito
26th-May-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't know, Jp and Stacey had one great dance and the other pretty bad in contrast to the others- but as Ben said 'it didn't offend' Stacey 'it was sweet'. B+S had two good performances and yet were beaten, I think people will votes for favs first/only this Sat- so as not to loose their couple. Providing JP+S look like they are trying, they don't make a obvious hash and it flows, it is looking like they wil be o.k. The VTs should be intersting.

Rhythm King
26th-May-2006, 11:01 AM
Arlene Phillips and Ben Richards were on BBC1's "Breakfast" this morning, effectively pleading for JP&S to go. I have a feeling that given what some people think of Arlene, this could have the opposite effect :rolleyes:

ElaineB
26th-May-2006, 12:01 PM
Arlene Phillips and Ben Richards were on BBC1's "Breakfast" this morning, effectively pleading for JP&S to go. I have a feeling that given what some people think of Arlene, this could have the opposite effect :rolleyes:

Will she never learn? :rolleyes:

Elaine

Feelingpink
26th-May-2006, 12:09 PM
Will she never learn? :rolleyes:

ElaineArlene also said she realised that some of her comments might have the effect of getting people to vote for them (the opposite of what she wants), but couldn't help herself, because she felt they had a responsibility to hand over dancers who would be able to handle choreography in the prize of a show contract for the winners. So I think she's aware of what effect she could be having.

Donna
26th-May-2006, 12:18 PM
Arlene also said she realised that some of her comments might have the effect of getting people to vote for them (the opposite of what she wants), but couldn't help herself, because she felt they had a responsibility to hand over dancers who would be able to handle choreography in the prize of a show contract for the winners. So I think she's aware of what effect she could be having.

Nah that's her excuse. She's extremely hormonal that's all!

Ok, I understand her saying they feel they have a big responsibility, but there is such a thing as constructive criticism. Maybe then, some couples won't get so many sympathy votes. Anyway, which show will the winners appear in this time? I missed this bit.

corgito
26th-May-2006, 12:25 PM
I have heard footloose - but not suprisingly I don't think they have stated it on the show!

Feelingpink
26th-May-2006, 12:45 PM
Nah that's her excuse. She's extremely hormonal that's all!

Ok, I understand her saying they feel they have a big responsibility, but there is such a thing as constructive criticism. Maybe then, some couples won't get so many sympathy votes. Anyway, which show will the winners appear in this time? I missed this bit.You call it "hormones" - I call it "passion". Guess that's spin! :wink:

David Franklin
26th-May-2006, 12:52 PM
Arlene also said she realised that some of her comments might have the effect of getting people to vote for them (the opposite of what she wants), but couldn't help herself, because she felt they had a responsibility to hand over dancers who would be able to handle choreography in the prize of a show contract for the winners. So I think she's aware of what effect she could be having.The thing is, the comment that people found out most out of order had very little to do with dancing; it was when she said Stacey thought she was a better dancer than JP. (Which I think was particularly unfair, as I think the true situation is that Stacey thinks she knows more about dance than JP, but that JP is a better dancer. Neither of which she could really say on TV without damaging her chances).

I would have thought JP/Stacey will be a very, very distant fourth in the adagio routine - I'm not sure I can think of anything that will suit them less. It will be interesting to see if that's enough to send them home though. Currently their supporters on the DigitalSpy forums claim to believe they are better than those who have gone out, but I think that belief will be hard to maintain this week.

Gojive
26th-May-2006, 01:26 PM

The main show - Sat 27 May, BBC1, 18:00 - 19:00
SDF on three - Sat 27 May, BBC3, 19:00 - 19:45
Results - Sat 27 May, BBC1, 21:10 - 21:40

Each couple will be doing on of the dances they've not yet done, plus the Adagio, and a group Swing routine.

Donna
26th-May-2006, 02:17 PM
You call it "hormones" - I call it "passion". Guess that's spin! :wink:

:rofl: I think somebody keeps popping pills into her water. She's definately on something!:grin:

J-J
26th-May-2006, 09:09 PM
sdf made me join ceroc LOL

(im only a ceroc baby - 2 weeks old lol)

ducasi
27th-May-2006, 09:48 PM
Well JP & Stacey are out, they do deserve so much respect for doing so well. I certainly couldn't do anywhere near what they did each week.

:worthy:

Yogi_Bear
27th-May-2006, 10:43 PM
Well JP & Stacey are out, they do deserve so much respect for doing so well. I certainly couldn't do anywhere near what they did each week.

:worthy:
Agreed, they have had a good run and got so much better, but it would have been a travesty if any of the three rermaining couples had been eliminated tonight. I will just have to set the VCR for Saturday....or hope to catch the final while in Southport. Annoyed to have missed the Lindy Hop and Milonga last week....:sick:

And what a great group dance tonight !

FirstMove
27th-May-2006, 11:56 PM
The highlight of tonight's dancing was - the dancing on Channel 4 :blush:
That dancer who looked like Lara Croft :drool::respect:

Of the SDF dancers, I think Ben+Steph will be 3rd, Darrien+Hollie 2nd and Darren + Lana 1st.

Trish
30th-May-2006, 11:09 AM
The highlight of tonight's dancing was - the dancing on Channel 4 :blush:
That dancer who looked like Lara Croft :drool::respect:

Of the SDF dancers, I think Ben+Steph will be 3rd, Darrien+Hollie 2nd and Darren + Lana 1st.

Missed the dancing on Channel 4 - what was that then?

I agree about the final three though, Darren and Lana have got so much chemistry between them I'd be really surprised if they didn't win.

Glad JP&S are out, but as has been said, good on them for improving so much and getting so far.

Looking forward to the final now! :clap:

Gojive
1st-June-2006, 11:53 AM
Here's the schedule for THE GRAND FINAL this Saturday:

The main show - Sat 3 Jun, BBC1, 18:00 - 19:00
SDF on three - Sat 3 Jun, BBC3, 19:00 - 19:45
Results - Sat 3 Jun, BBC1, 21:10 - 22:00

Southporters, don't forget to set your videos!!

I'm off to Prague in a few hours, so best I guess I'd better follow my own advice eh? :blush:

Looking forward to seeing Darren and Lana crowned as champions when I get back :respect:

Donna
1st-June-2006, 01:57 PM
Here's the schedule for THE GRAND FINAL this Saturday:

The main show - Sat 3 Jun, BBC1, 18:00 - 19:00
SDF on three - Sat 3 Jun, BBC3, 19:00 - 19:45
Results - Sat 3 Jun, BBC1, 21:10 - 22:00

Southporters, don't forget to set your videos!!

I'm off to Prague in a few hours, so best I guess I'd better follow my own advice eh? :blush:

Looking forward to seeing Darren and Lana crowned as champions when I get back :respect:

Woo hoo! then it'll aaaall over! :clap: Wonder if they'll do another one next year? Think I will have another crack at it. :clap:

Heather
5th-June-2006, 07:55 AM
Final results : 1st place Darrien and Hollie
2nd place Darren and Lana
3rd place Ben and Stephannie

:respect: :respect: It was a fantastic final and I would have hated to have been one of the judges !

:hug:
Heather

Nick M
5th-June-2006, 11:04 AM
It was a fantastic final and I would have hated to have been one of the judges !

me too

Had I been a judge, I would probably have voted for D&L as they have been consistently stunning throughout, but D&H were at least as good on the night

Donna
5th-June-2006, 01:05 PM
me too

Had I been a judge, I would probably have voted for D&L as they have been consistently stunning throughout, but D&H were at least as good on the night

I agree that Darren & Lana were great to watch, and I especially loved that raunchy routine they did in the final.. which Arlene thought was slimey!! :confused: God she is sooooo old fashioned!!!

However, I don't think their choreography was as strong as Darrien & Hollies, plus D&H had more power and control over every movement. D&L looked weak sometimes and I'd switch off at times. D&H kept me watching from beginning to end. Their performances were stunning and looked so alive, it was just exciting to watch.

I don't think they are anywhere near as good and Joseph and Sadie though, and from what I've heard, J&S didn't stand out at all and looked so out of place in 'Burn The Floor'. Imagine D&H....:cool:

David Franklin
5th-June-2006, 02:23 PM
I agree that Darren & Lana were great to watch, and I especially loved that raunchy routine they did in the final.. which Arlene thought was slimey!! :confused: God she is sooooo old fashioned!!!I honestly think Arlene has a real problem when the contestants don't do as she says - somewhat a "if you did that when I was the director of a show I'd have your guts for garters" attitude. So it wouldn't surprise me if she did ding Darren a couple of marks just for not shaving the beard as she told him.

In the showdance, I thought it was funny that Arlene is so obsessed with men having "the muscle to hustle" and yet she said nothing about the two D's aerials. Darren and Lana looked rocky on every lift and their attempt at a helicopter was truely awful. While Darrien pretty clearly lost it on one aerial and still got straight 10s.

Although my heart wanted Darren and Lana to win, and I still think they are the more versatile couple, I'd agree Darrien and Hollie deserved it on the night. It's interesting that we keep getting disappointing showdances in the final - it seems the couples get too much freedom and the result can end up unfocussed.

I don't think they are anywhere near as good and Joseph and Sadie though, and from what I've heard, J&S didn't stand out at all and looked so out of place in 'Burn The Floor'. Imagine D&H....:cool:I think D/H would struggle in BtF, but they will be fine in Footloose (as J/S would have been). But although the level of partner dance is probably weaker than last year, as stage performers I think all 3 final couples this year will find work (possible exception of Stephanie).

Donna
6th-June-2006, 01:56 PM
I honestly think Arlene has a real problem when the contestants don't do as she says - somewhat a "if you did that when I was the director of a show I'd have your guts for garters" attitude. So it wouldn't surprise me if she did ding Darren a couple of marks just for not shaving the beard as she told him.

The beard really suits him.. and besides, who is she to tell him to shave it off?! :mad: That woman has got so used to ordering people around, she is a complete control freak. I don't like her one bit mainly because she has an attitude problem, but I do have some respect for her work.

In the showdance, I thought it was funny that Arlene is so obsessed with men having "the muscle to hustle" and yet she said nothing about the two D's aerials. Darren and Lana looked rocky on every lift and their attempt at a helicopter was truely awful. While Darrien pretty clearly lost it on one aerial and still got straight 10s.

Their aerials were very unstable yep. What is the helicopter anyway. Most of these contestants were all solo dancers, and even though they've had intensive tuition in aerials, they simply didn't have enough time to perfect them. Still, considering they've only had a week at a time to get an aerial right, they haven't done too bad.

Although my heart wanted Darren and Lana to win, and I still think they are the more versatile couple, I'd agree Darrien and Hollie deserved it on the night. It's interesting that we keep getting disappointing showdances in the final - it seems the couples get too much freedom and the result can end up unfocussed.

It is extremely disappointing. They tend to start off with good performances and it gets worse towards the end of the show. Could be a result of fatigue kicking in. I mean, these guys don't stop, I bet they're glad it's all over now except for Darrien and Hollie who of course will be working a lot harder for this new show. Anybody going to see it?

I think D/H would struggle in BtF, but they will be fine in Footloose (as J/S would have been). But although the level of partner dance is probably weaker than last year, as stage performers I think all 3 final couples this year will find work (possible exception of Stephanie).[/QUOTE]

Burn The Floor was probably the wrong choice made for S&J. Footloose I agree they would blend in quite nicely there, same with Darrien & Hollie I think. May just get tickets to see it when it starts out.

Wonder if there is another series next year? and will it be better..... or worse again? Hmmmm.....:o

Tessalicious
6th-June-2006, 03:35 PM
SPOTTED!: Hollie and her (very sullen-looking) boyfriend in Nandos, in Camden.

Yup, that's exactly where I'd choose to celebrate winning a major competition and shedloads of cash, too.

David Franklin
6th-June-2006, 03:55 PM
The beard really suits him.. and besides, who is she to tell him to shave it off?! :mad: Well, if she was employing him in a stage show, I imagine she'd have every right to tell him that. Of course, she isn't employing him, but she does often react as if she is!

What is the helicopter anyway.
There's a good example at the end of first major dance routine in Dirty Dancing (where Baby is dancing with one of the geeks and Johnny and his partner (Penny) do a mambo). In SDF it was the aerial D/L did right at the end of their showdance. Very very big difference in implementation, and it really left me feeling Darren lacks the power and technique for the bigger aerials.

Now when I say that, don't misundertand; I think the contestants have done astoundingly well given the time. My criticism is of Arlene - who seems to think she knows something about lifts and yet doesn't comment the one time I was really left thinking "you need to do some weights if you want to do that, Darren!" (or at least learn to use his legs properly).

It is extremely disappointing. They tend to start off with good performances and it gets worse towards the end of the show. Could be a result of fatigue kicking in. I think it's more likely a result of having to fit too much into a short period. Plus with only a week, you kind of have to stick with your original plan, even if 4 days in you're thinking "I wish we'd done something else". I know we've made major changes in a routine after spending months on it - the very idea of only having a week start-to-finish is :eek:

Donna
6th-June-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, if she was employing him in a stage show, I imagine she'd have every right to tell him that. Of course, she isn't employing him, but she does often react as if she is!

:yeah: I think his beard makes him look the part when doing a pasa doble or tango. Gives him more of that aggressive look.

There's a good example at the end of first major dance routine in Dirty Dancing (where Baby is dancing with one of the geeks and Johnny and his partner (Penny) do a mambo). In SDF it was the aerial D/L did right at the end of their showdance. Very very big difference in implementation, and it really left me feeling Darren lacks the power and technique for the bigger aerials.

Ah, ok I know which one you mean now. The hardest part for the guy when doing aerials is to hide the fact he's struggling with it, otherwise it makes them look like a whimp.

Now when I say that, don't misundertand; I think the contestants have done astoundingly well given the time. My criticism is of Arlene - who seems to think she knows something about lifts and yet doesn't comment the one time I was really left thinking "you need to do some weights if you want to do that, Darren!" (or at least learn to use his legs properly).

She also thinks she know everything about Argentine Tango, but was proven wrong.. which for once made her ZIP IT. I think what comes out of her mouth are mostly her opinions, not facts. You can show her how it's done David! :wink:

I think it's more likely a result of having to fit too much into a short period. Plus with only a week, you kind of have to stick with your original plan, even if 4 days in you're thinking "I wish we'd done something else".

Hmm I'm guilty of that too. Always finding other alternatives which I know make our routine look better.. but it's a bad idea because it never works out on the day of a comp.

I know we've made major changes in a routine after spending months on it - the very idea of only having a week start-to-finish is :eek:

I would be totally freaked out by it. I'd be in such a state of panic, I'd most probably wouldn't be able to think straight and so the choreography wouldn't be that anyway! :rofl: Although they have professional dancers who specialise in one style in particular that they will be performing on the night, to show them a few moves, and how to do it properly. The rest is then up to the contestants how they put it together.