PDA

View Full Version : Starting my own studio..

Anna
25th-March-2006, 09:05 AM
Hello Everybody..

well here's the news, I'm starting my own Street Latin Studio - we'll be teaching Salsa, Bachata, Lambada and Samba..

the studio has been found, the teachers have been found, the website name has been booked, the studio name decided on, what remains is the advertising..

and I can't decide which (out of the 10 or so designs I have created thus far) which one I want to use for flyers, tshirts and posters.. - I could use a different one for each.

HELP!!

Opinions please :) ...

here are the first 5..

ps, they may be uber sexy.. but sex sells and that's how we advertise latin dancing over here..

Anna
25th-March-2006, 09:08 AM
and here are the rest..

bigdjiver
25th-March-2006, 09:46 AM
Piccy 2 has most impact - the less words the better, and they should be the ones you need them to remember. "Latin Heat dance class".
+ url, which should be as short as possible and directly related to the name "Latin_heat.co.nz"?

Rhythm King
25th-March-2006, 10:07 AM
I think I prefer the first batch to the second, which look a bit fussy and crowded to me. Of the first batch I like the centre top one, but as bigdjiver says, it needs some basic contact details. I also liked the top right one but think the colour balance needs a little sorting as the main text gets lost on the dark side. The bottom left one's good too, possibly with the "cos some like it hot" added. I thought the centre bottom one was a bit too dark and the top left one didn't really connect with me as a dance flyer - party night possibly, but not classes.

Oh, and like WOW! :respect: Well done, I hope it's a great success for you :clap: :clap:

R-K :flower:

Cruella
25th-March-2006, 10:11 AM
Yep the top middle one definately caught my eye, but i agree it needs a little more info on it.

ChrisU
25th-March-2006, 10:32 AM
Yep No 2 on the first set for me.

DJ Chris Uren:wink:

Anna
25th-March-2006, 10:35 AM
Thankyou muchly!!

Much thought is being put into this as our competition is highly sophisticated..

ie. www.latinissimo.co.nz/first.html (http://www.latinissimo.co.nz/first.html)

keep the advice/opinions coming !

and remember to look at the designs zoomed larger, cos theyr going to about half A4 sized..

ducasi
25th-March-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree – I think the second pic is a good choice for t-shirts, and such...

But something nearer the third one is needed for flyers, though you could put the plain design on one side, and the details on the other...

If these graphics are going to be printed larger, you're going to have to get them tidied up. The fonts are quite jaggy, and the outline of the dancer is very rough. This is where a professional designer with the right tools can make a big difference.

One thing I noticed with you competition is they have a good stand-alone logo for their "Latinissimo" name. They then use it to good effect to "badge" images. You could also imagine them putting that alone on t-shirts, both as the main design and on the sleeves. You'll notice the same thing with the Ceroc logo that you see on every page of this web site. Again, a profession designer will be able to whip something up for you in no-time.

I'd say your tag-line "Auckland's Hottest..." is maybe too similar to their "Aukland's Premier ...", which may get you some extra hassle from them.

Sorry if that lot sounds a bit negative. :flower:

I think it's great you're doing this, and wish you the best of luck. :hug:

Lory
25th-March-2006, 12:33 PM
No2 and No3 caught my eye but No2 wins as, after the initial glance, I had the information there, telling me what I needed to know!:waycool:

Good luck! :cheers: It all sounds very exciting! :grin:

wayaay bird
25th-March-2006, 02:26 PM
3rd pic looks good for a flyer and 2nd pic for a poster as there's not too much writing!!! i definately prefer the silhouette pictures.
Xxx

RogerR
25th-March-2006, 02:42 PM
In London at least, Latin classes (except Arg Tango) are successfull IF they have a good number of Latino men who can dance. You need to find and hold your first few people very carefully. Lone dancers will not go into a class unless it's nearly full! Use a small room at first - its full sooner! Good luck
RR

Anna
25th-March-2006, 03:52 PM
I agree – I think the second pic is a good choice for t-shirts, and such...

But something nearer the third one is needed for flyers, though you could put the plain design on one side, and the details on the other...

If these graphics are going to be printed larger, you're going to have to get them tidied up. The fonts are quite jaggy, and the outline of the dancer is very rough. This is where a professional designer with the right tools can make a big difference.

One thing I noticed with you competition is they have a good stand-alone logo for their "Latinissimo" name. They then use it to good effect to "badge" images. You could also imagine them putting that alone on t-shirts, both as the main design and on the sleeves. You'll notice the same thing with the Ceroc logo that you see on every page of this web site. Again, a profession designer will be able to whip something up for you in no-time.

I'd say your tag-line "Auckland's Hottest..." is maybe too similar to their "Aukland's Premier ...", which may get you some extra hassle from them.

Sorry if that lot sounds a bit negative. :flower:

I think it's great you're doing this, and wish you the best of luck. :hug:

My bad I forgot to mention that these are NOT the final copies.. this was just me attempting to create a rough estimation of what I want, I have a friend in advertising who is going to smooth them over for me n all that jazz.

Latinissimo are actually not the only people claiming to be "auckland's premier..." there are 2 other studios which already use that line, hence why I have no problem claiming to be Auckland's hottest or sultriest - at least I'm not lying, we may not be premier (YET) but by god, do we have sabor or what!!!

Latinissimo began in Australia and then branched out into NZ, therefore why they totally own us with their professionalism (damn them) .. but I actually know Gian and Masha (the instructors) well (particularly Gian :drool: ) so I think they will be okay it / get over it fairly quickly...

funny how no one likes the ones I do :confused: glad I asked on here before sending off to the printers !!

ducasi
25th-March-2006, 04:09 PM
My bad I forgot to mention that these are NOT the final copies.. OK, that's cool.

Which ones are yours? I quite liked the one with the woman on the beach... Now that's sabor! :drool:

bigdjiver
25th-March-2006, 05:22 PM
Why "Auckland"? Don't your customers know where they are? Aren't you planning "Tomorrow the world"? If you are going to hype yourself up do it big - "New Zealand's most sextra~ous dance class"? (I don't believe for one moment that you will want it, but, copyright me, just in case. If you do you want it you can have it. )

El Salsero Gringo
25th-March-2006, 06:07 PM
Why "Auckland"? Don't your customers know where they are? Aren't you planning "Tomorrow the world"? If you are going to hype yourself up do it big - "New Zealand's most sextra~ous dance class"? (I don't believe for one moment that you will want it, but, copyright me, just in case. If you do you want it you can have it. )You can't copyright a phrase or tagline like that. You can apply to have it registered as a trademark, but that costs money and you have to be actually using it, or planning to use it, in trade.

Andy McGregor
25th-March-2006, 07:17 PM
You can't copyright a phrase or tagline like that. You can apply to have it registered as a trademark, but that costs money and you have to be actually using it, or planning to use it, in trade.
However, you can claim the rights to use a trademark by trading in that item. You then have a trademark and you can use TM to assert your rights to that mark. However, you can not use R in a circle as that claims that your mark is registered.

philsmove
25th-March-2006, 07:38 PM
Number two for me as well

If you want to register a trademark go here (http://www.iponz.govt.nz/pls/web/dbssiten.main)or get professional advice

If the artwork is not yours checkout the copyright situation (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____7290.aspx)

bigdjiver
25th-March-2006, 09:17 PM
You can't copyright a phrase or tagline like that. You can apply to have it registered as a trademark, but that costs money and you have to be actually using it, or planning to use it, in trade.Quite right, but not everybody knows that. "Ignorant" misuse of intellectual protection symbols seldom incurs any real penalty, but often deters competitors. They are the business equivalent of the bogus burglar alarm, or "Beware of the dog" signs. It also shows intent to possess, rather than to give it away, which may tilt the balance in some cases.

bigdjiver
25th-March-2006, 10:02 PM
... If the artwork is not yours checkout the copyright situation (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____7290.aspx)I would say: If the artwork is not yours, then get your own.

From the book "The Emyth - why most businesses do not work, and what to do about it." by Michael Gerber - "Pretend that the business you own ... is the prototype for 5,000 more just like it. ... In other words, pretend that you are going to franchise your business."

This is why I suggested dropping "Auckland". From day one you are trying to build a brand.

Poster 2 could be produced as in three colours. Red, yellow and black. As a logo it could be produced as a small sow on badge using just 2, 3 or 4 threads. It is distinctive enough to be recognisable from a distance even in a small size, and has, as been said, a wow factor if put on a T-shirt. It needs something else, probably on the bottom, to make it obviously unique.

An example, rescued from the bin - change the name to something like "Latin Fheet". This is not a real word, and could be trademakable. We still have the "heat" connotation, so the image still acts a memory aid, but now the bottom of the logo could look like a footprint. This would probably make the image unique and even more memorable. I would think a court would be more inclined to give such an image copyright protection, and to stop competitors "passing off" their products and services using similar imagery.

I suggest that you think about intellectual property from day 1. If thinking small it helps prevent larger competitors rippingyou off, and if think big, it is what you will one day be selling to your franchisees.

RogerR
26th-March-2006, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the shark tank! This is where the art takes second place to the business. Make sure you own all you use, especially copyright in the elements of your design. Make sure you protect your Unique Selling Points as far as possible. If the trade marks are yours, keep them that way. Be absolutely sure who owns what among all your friends colaborators and buisness associates. There are frequent references to the Ceroc Model here be absolutely certain of your (Latin Heat) model.

bigdjiver
28th-March-2006, 01:32 PM
Moved from I want .. thread

I WANT...

A highly talented technogeek willing to work for free who will design all my promo stuff for my studio(flyers, logos, website) to a high standard, completely out of the goodness of their heart.

An equally philanthropic person who owns a printing business and would like to print all my promotional material for free.

Lots of new eye catching Salsa-wear to wear at Jambalaya in 13 sleeps time..

Approx 3 solid days of sleeping

For the Kgs I have put on since I stopped going to the gym in November 05 to have magically disappeared when I wake up tomorrow morning..

and a pony.

and a tan.

and 10, 000 cash.

That is all Note - the cash is last. Many owners of small businesses are in business to be in business, rather than to make as money as possible. It might be that you want to run a dance studio because you want someone else to pay for your dancing. There are geeky graphic designers who mainly want to design. There are some that dream of drawing posters showing lovely ladies wearing sexy Salsa outfits. You could give them that dream for free, and further more promote their business by displaying their poster studio with credits. The costume shop want promotion. They would like free pictures for their catalogue, and a poster in your studio. Your dancers want the opportunity to wear a variety of sexy Salsa gear. The local newspaper wants pictures of lovely ladies to display. You want all the local dancers to come along, perhaps launch with a special event.

Charity Fashion show?

Anna
2nd-April-2006, 01:40 AM
Good gawd thats a fantastic idea!! ..

and it also gives me an excuse to organise my goodlooking brazilian male friends into modelling er.. salsa pants.. shirtless :D

Anna
2nd-April-2006, 01:42 AM
OK, that's cool.

Which ones are yours? I quite liked the one with the woman on the beach... Now that's sabor! :drool:

I made all of them :D the pictures are from various websites that I can buy images from royalty and copyright free (as long as I purchase them the first time)..

philsmove
2nd-April-2006, 03:23 PM
...the pictures are from various websites that I can buy images from royalty and copyright free (.)..

I guess this means you are buying reproduction rights not copyright

This might mean someone else could also use them
take care

pjay
10th-April-2006, 11:33 AM
So the real question (for those of us in Auckland)... is where and when????

Anna
18th-April-2006, 07:23 AM
Not sure!

Difficulties are arising.. just with life so I may have to postpone til next year..

pjay
18th-April-2006, 07:32 AM
Not sure!

Difficulties are arising.. just with life so I may have to postpone til next year..

:tears: That's sad... oh well... I'll just have to hassle you along to a ceroc freestyle at some stage so that I can have that dance I tried for when I was in Ak in Feb.

Anna
19th-April-2006, 06:19 AM
I'll just have to hassle you along to a ceroc freestyle at some stage

Good luck :whistle:

pjay
19th-April-2006, 07:40 AM
Good luck :whistle:

That's ok, I know where you live. (does that make me sound like a stalker, 'cause I'm not)...

Anna
20th-April-2006, 12:30 AM
I know where you live

:eek:

..So that was YOU outside my window last night !!

My bad I thought it was Gus :rofl:

pjay
20th-April-2006, 09:30 AM
:eek:

..So that was YOU outside my window last night !!

My bad I thought it was Gus :rofl:

Oh no, she's on to me! I'll have to run and hide... oh, apparently I was already doing that....