PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger.

Cruella
23rd-March-2006, 11:15 PM
OK, i've been and downloaded MSN Messenger due to a few people asking me if i use it and giving me their addresses. I really don't know anything about it, so i thought i'd start a thread for people to give advice and explain to a simple gal how to use it.:D I figured it'll be easier than reading all the bumpf.:rolleyes:

WittyBird
23rd-March-2006, 11:27 PM
it's so easy just follow the prompts.
you need to make sure that you don't accept files unless someone has told you to, as they my contain viruses. Add me my msn addy is on my profile :D

its beckij007@hotmail.com

Missy D
23rd-March-2006, 11:28 PM
Add me too!!:flower:

drathzel
23rd-March-2006, 11:47 PM
Add me too!

chocahuglic@hotmail.com

although i am very seldom on msger now, its a fab way to keep in contact with people!:D

Tazmanian Devil
24th-March-2006, 09:05 AM
And me :D
carlil22@hotmail.com

azande
24th-March-2006, 09:20 AM
and me...
azande@hotmail.com

Missy D
24th-March-2006, 09:55 AM
Silly me forgot to put on:-

Dawnadams99@hotmail.com

Oh can anyone help! My daughter downloaded messenger 8.0 last night and now i cant sign in. Why? Help? Hers work fine. I try and sign in a the computer says NO! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:devil:

Tazmanian Devil
24th-March-2006, 10:23 AM

Dawnadams99@hotmail.com

Oh can anyone help! My daughter downloaded messenger 8.0 last night and now i cant sign in. Why? Help? Hers work fine. I try and sign in a the computer says NO! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:devil:

You need to update yours hun!! Do you still have the older version on your desktop?? or in the recycle bin??

Msfab
24th-March-2006, 10:35 AM
You can also use MSN messenger via the web @ http://webmessenger.msn.com/. Especially useful if there is one of those firewall that prevents you using the downloaded version. :waycool:

Feelingpink
24th-March-2006, 10:38 AM
It is indeed a wonderful thing (feelingpink@hotmail.com) ... and if you and A.N.Other are in conversation and one of your mutual friends pops on, you can invite them to join in 'your' conversation.

senorita
24th-March-2006, 10:45 AM
You can send nudges, winks, funny econs...its great! :nice:

orozcolopez14@hotmail.com

Dan Hudson
24th-March-2006, 10:57 AM
And me :D
carlil22@hotmail.com

not sure what mine is:blush: ... help taz!!:flower:

Tazmanian Devil
24th-March-2006, 11:09 AM
not sure what mine is:blush: ... help taz!!:flower:
daniel.hudson@virgin.net :rolleyes: men :rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-March-2006, 11:09 AM
This thread should be in Geeks Corner really. BTW Its really lame to use MSN messanger - gaim or trillian would be a less resource hungry, less annoying alternative that will both work with ALL major chat formats - why limit yourself to just your other lame messenger friends :)

Feelingpink
24th-March-2006, 11:14 AM
This thread should be in Geeks Corner really. BTW Its really lame to use MSN messanger - gaim or trillian would be a less resource hungry, less annoying alternative that will both work with ALL major chat formats - why limit yourself to just your other lame messenger friends :)I beg to differ. It's in EXACTLY the right spot. Chit chat. On-line chit chat.

Tazmanian Devil
24th-March-2006, 11:18 AM
This thread should be in Geeks Corner really. BTW Its really lame to use MSN messanger - gaim or trillian would be a less resource hungry, less annoying alternative that will both work with ALL major chat formats - why limit yourself to just your other lame messenger friends
*pokes tounge out*

I beg to differ. It's in EXACTLY the right spot. Chit chat. On-line chit chat.
:yeah:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-March-2006, 11:30 AM
I beg to differ. It's in EXACTLY the right spot. Chit chat. On-line chit chat.
Beg all you like - its computer software :). Chit Chit is for Chit Chatting here not Chatting about the possibility you might go chit chat somewhere else :rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-March-2006, 11:36 AM
Beg all you like - its computer software :). Chit Chit is for Chit Chatting here not Chatting about the possibility you might go chit chat somewhere else :rolleyes:
anyway - abuse can be sent to me via the dodgy messenger network @ bill_gates_is_my_uncle@hotmail.com :)

senorita
24th-March-2006, 11:37 AM

Is that why you just saved me onto your address book??:D :rofl: :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-March-2006, 11:38 AM
Is that why you just saved me onto your address book??:D :rofl: :whistle:
doesnt alter the fact that this should be in the geeks thread you geek you :)

senorita
24th-March-2006, 11:52 AM
doesnt alter the fact that this should be in the geeks thread you geek you :)

:rofl: ok I'll move over as a geek..:nice:

Lynn
24th-March-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't chat on MSN at work but do at home in the evenings - except I'm still on dialup which is a pain as my connection hangs up mid chat (I know, I know, get broadband, I will...) Several of my friends who are on it are in different time zones (eg US, Aus, Japan) so I don't chat so often to them, but its been a great way to stay in touch with some others. :flower:

EDIT - just realised I have posted in the Geeks Corner! :what:

I know nothing! I'm blonde!

Tazmanian Devil
24th-March-2006, 12:15 PM
Several of my friends who are on it are in different time zones (eg US, Aus, ) so I don't chat so often to them, but its been a great way to stay in touch with some others. :flower:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

EDIT - just realised I have posted in the Geeks Corner! :what:

I...... Don't........ believe .... I ...... have ......Just ...posted here:what:

Clive Long
24th-March-2006, 12:31 PM
Remember.

The time you spend on MSN will be time you should be spending more profitably posting on the Forum.

Tut, tut. :devil:

CRL

Lynn
24th-March-2006, 12:36 PM
Remember.

The time you spend on MSN will be time you should be spending more profitably posting on the Forum. No silly, you chat on MSN at the same time as reading/posting on the forum.

Oh yes, that's multi-tasking isn't it? Not so much a man thing...

(Giggles, ducks and runs for cover...)

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 01:00 PM
No silly, you chat on MSN at the same time as reading/posting on the forum.

:yeah: as i am doing now!:D

jacksondonut
24th-March-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I have yet to figure MSN out as well... but I believe my address (is that the right word?) is janjacksonjive40@hotmail.com Maybe one day I will figure it out... :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

Dizzy
24th-March-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey

I have finally managed to put MSN Messenger to my computer now too :clap:

I can be reached at Gezabel22@hotmail.com

There is a loooong history to the name :rolleyes: :whistle: :D

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey

I have finally managed to put MSN Messenger to my computer now too :clap:

I can be reached at Gezabel22@hotmail.com

There is a loooong history to the name :rolleyes: :whistle: :D

ah thought that was you!

Dizzy
24th-March-2006, 04:13 PM
ah thought that was you!

Sorry, not very conspicious am I!!! :rofl:

Cruella
24th-March-2006, 05:51 PM
So i've now got lots of addresses but still don't know what to do.:whistle: I signed up using an existing email but wish i'd opened a new hotmail address as i don't want all and sundry having my email address so is it possible to change the email address i'm using?

ShinyWeeStar
24th-March-2006, 06:00 PM
No silly, you chat on MSN at the same time as reading/posting on the forum.

(Giggles, ducks and runs for cover...)
:yeah: :rofl:

Yes, Cruella, you can set up a new email account and then just sign into MSN with it.

TheTramp
24th-March-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm sorry. But dancing has conclusively proved that men can multi-task.....

When we're dancing with someone, we can still scan the rest of the room, looking for who we want to dance with next. That's multi-tasking :innocent: :rolleyes:

Cruella
24th-March-2006, 06:15 PM
OK sorted i'm di-yena@hotmail.com

Lynn
24th-March-2006, 07:57 PM
Me - NIJive@hotmail.com

(My dancing email address - yes, NI Jive - how original! :rolleyes: )

Georgious dancer
25th-March-2006, 08:47 PM
And I'm gtashy@hotmail.com! Not that I am ever on msn:whistle:

ChrisA
26th-March-2006, 12:46 AM
All those that are happy to slap their email addresses on a public web site...

... I hope your anti-spam software is up to scratch.

Unless, of course, you cunningly ensured that your MSN Id is not your actual email address, and you use it only for MS Passport authentication.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-March-2006, 01:13 AM

Unless, of course, you cunningly ensured that your MSN Id is not your actual email address, and you use it only for MS Passport authentication.
indeed - I certainly do :) surely no one else is that daft :)

Lynn
26th-March-2006, 12:40 PM

... I hope your anti-spam software is up to scratch. :shrug:

The one I put has been on several public websites, (e.g. local NI dance forums, UK Jive until recently) for well over a year - and I didn't notice much spam during that time - it almost all went straight to the Hotmail junk folder.

TheTramp
26th-March-2006, 01:30 PM

Of course. My real email address is ChrisA@hotmail.com :D

Lynn
26th-March-2006, 06:45 PM
No silly, you chat on MSN at the same time as reading/posting on the forum. Hmm, have discovered that (hold on....) trying to chat - to several people at once - and post (hold on...) at the same time can be a bit difficult...

(The 'hold on' wasn't for effect, that was the points I had to stop writing to reply...)

Will
27th-March-2006, 01:03 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. Just wait until the webcrawlers get here!

dee
27th-March-2006, 12:07 PM

Dawnadams99@hotmail.com

I didn't know there was an 8.0 :what: will check it out..

Mine is crazydee22@hotmail.com

Dreadful Scathe
27th-March-2006, 02:06 PM
Id just like to repeat - Microsoft Messenger is rubbish - please remoce it from your computer and install an alternative :) see here (http://www.bigblueball.com/)

Feelingpink
27th-March-2006, 02:16 PM
Id just like to repeat - Microsoft Messenger is rubbish - please remoce it from your computer and install an alternative :) see here (http://www.bigblueball.com/)THIS is why I am not a geek. I went to your link. I go into one of the programs ready to download ... and it is not mac compatible. Can I be bothered going to another one just to find out that it is not mac friendly .... :sigh: ... sorry, no.:blush: On the other hand, if you'd like to pop round and install and suitable program, I'm all for changing.

azande
27th-March-2006, 02:44 PM
For mac, download Adium (http://www.adiumx.com).

Lucy Locket
27th-March-2006, 02:46 PM
seksidancewear@hotmail.co.uk

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-March-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm on one of the college computers; I can see my e-mail, but can't use messenger! :tears:

ducasi
27th-March-2006, 02:53 PM
... and it is not mac compatible. ...
Hi Feelingpink,

Lots of Mac users use Adium (http://www.adiumx.com/), including me. :)

EDIT: Oops, azande beat me to it! :o

Feelingpink
27th-March-2006, 02:53 PM
For mac, download Adium (http://www.adiumx.com).You sir, are a mac-friendly scholar and a gentleman. The green duck Adium has been installed. Have some rep.

Feelingpink
27th-March-2006, 03:18 PM
For mac, download Adium (http://www.adiumx.com).Complete with duck noises for the arrival or departure of contacts ... gave me quite a shock! :what:

azande
27th-March-2006, 03:23 PM
LOL! If you have a look at the website you'll find it is very customizable...

Dreadful Scathe
27th-March-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm on one of the college computers; I can see my e-mail, but can't use messenger! :tears:

If you cant use it because you cant install anything on the machine - use Gaim instead and run it from a USB stick - get it here (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/chat/portable_gaim)

stewart38
27th-March-2006, 04:05 PM
Stupid question but if you delete messages from your inbox in hotmail, you cant still 'find' them on your PC can you ??

Cruella
27th-March-2006, 04:09 PM
Stupid question but if you delete messages from your inbox in hotmail, you cant still 'find' them on your PC can you ??
Question is, have you deleted something you shouldn't have or do you want to make sure it's well and truly untraceable? :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-March-2006, 04:40 PM

They will still be in your trash folder I imagine and as Hotmail is web based , the mails would also be in your browsers cache.

bigdjiver
27th-March-2006, 04:41 PM
Stupid question but if you delete messages from your inbox in hotmail, you cant still 'find' them on your PC can you ??It depends how hard you want to look.

Ghost
27th-March-2006, 08:07 PM
ghost_dancer@hotmail.co.uk

Take care,
Christopher

Claire S
28th-March-2006, 01:03 AM
Complete with duck noises for the arrival or departure of contacts ... gave me quite a shock! :what:The quacks are more like honks I thought!
Quite disturbing!!!

I downloaded the Star Wars sounds http://www.adiumxtras.com/
Much better :D

Freya
28th-March-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Claire,

I'm freyaknight@hotmail.com

Hope you've got it working.

xxxx

Freya
28th-March-2006, 11:38 AM
hi just realised that it was cruella not claire that started this thread!!! Not quite awake properly!!!

soz. Hope everyone's well. xxxx

Freya
28th-March-2006, 11:41 AM
Id just like to repeat - Microsoft Messenger is rubbish - please remoce it from your computer and install an alternative :) see here (http://www.bigblueball.com/)

Could I have a site written in english please not computer gargon.

Unfortunately my gargon is worse than my french!!! :na:

ducasi
28th-March-2006, 01:23 PM
Could I have a site written in english please not computer gargon.

Unfortunately my gargon is worse than my french!!! :na:
Yeah, I thought that web site was a bit "Whooosh!!!!" for most folks...

BTW, it's jargon. :wink:

Freya
28th-March-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I thought that web site was a bit "Whooosh!!!!" for most folks...

BTW, it's jargon. :wink:

Exactly Ducasi ;)

azande
28th-March-2006, 01:41 PM
Maybe you could have a look at Trillian for PC (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/)

Freya
28th-March-2006, 03:00 PM
Erm not sure I know anyone not on msn anyway! Unless others would like to enlighten me?

XX

ducasi
28th-March-2006, 05:42 PM
Erm not sure I know anyone not on msn anyway! Unless others would like to enlighten me?

XX
I'm on MSN, yahoo, ICQ, AIM, GTalk... That's all I can think of for the moment...

Don't know why, as I rarely use most of them.

ShinyWeeStar
28th-March-2006, 07:39 PM
When I was at uni I used the online messenger service at www.webmessenger.msn.com, which you don't need to download. You don't have access to all the options you do in the full MSN, but you can speak to all your contacts pretty much as normal. :nice:

killingtime
29th-March-2006, 01:34 PM
Adium is fab. It even takes the contacts from your Address Book and combines multiple contacts from the same person. I wish I could have it on my PC as well as my mac.

If you want my MSN IM address you can see it in my profile. It's only viewable to members and that makes me feel better. There is nowhere to put your XMPP/Jabber/Google Talk details on but they are the same as my MSN IM details.