PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about shoes

Andy McGregor
23rd-March-2006, 01:21 PM
I've noticed a change to the forum and I don't like it. There has been less talk about dancing shoes. And this lack of shoe chat is spilling over into the real world. Lynn has confessed that she hasn't brought a new pair of shoes for ages - and puts it down to willpower!

Not buying new shoes is not a show of strength. We're not competing to see who can go the longest without buying new shoes. We like new shoes and we like talking about shoes, new and old - but we prefer to talk about new ones and shopping for them.

For me, it's been about 3 weeks since I brought new shoes - they're lovely matt red stealth trainers and they go nicely with the zips on some funky trousers and a glittery top I've had for a while. And while I was in Felix I spotted a nice flesh coloured pair which will go nicely with American Tan tights ...

Now what Lynn needs to do is pop over to Gatwick, I'll pick her up and take her to Felix and we'll shop, shop, SHOP!!! And if she's a bit late I'm sure I can persuade them to stay open :flower: And because Lynn has small feet her shoes are often in the sale - lucky girl :clap:

Lynn
23rd-March-2006, 01:30 PM
Lynn has confessed that she hasn't brought a new pair of shoes for ages - and puts it down to willpower! And lack of money. Though I'm starting a new job soon...

I stayed away (mostly) from the shoe stands at the last couple of weekenders so as not to be tempted...

Now what Lynn needs to do is pop over to Gatwick, I'll pick her up and take her to Felix and we'll shop, shop, SHOP!!! You are a bad man! :rofl:

And because Lynn has small feet her shoes are often in the sale - lucky girl :clap: I remember the last time we went to Felix - yep I did get a pair in the sale, they're fab.

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 01:31 PM
Lynn has confessed that she hasn't brought a new pair of shoes for ages - and puts it down to willpower!

I'm starting to become obsessed by dance shoes too! If I see them in a shop window or a stall at a dance event...I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF!
I bought some black cuban heeled dance shoes (only to practice in) as the others were just ruined! (Too much dancing you see! :rolleyes: YEAH RIGHT!) I got them half price AND the people who were selling them are very well known.. because they made the costumes for the last 'CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER'. The girl who runs it somehow knows me :confused: and said that because I am a competitor I could get shoes cheaper from her OR she could make my costumes for me half price!!! :clap: I design it, she makes it! :waycool:

but we prefer to talk about new ones and shopping for them.

I'm looking at some tanned strappy ones to wear with the two piece red costume I had on at Blackpool. (The red shoes were a bit too much for me!)

fletch
23rd-March-2006, 01:41 PM
I wear flat spangle slippers with leather bottoms to dance in, they cost about £20 - £25 depending:confused: but its the high heals I buy to match which cost £££££££ and I only wear them to and from the car - venue :sick:

ho and don't forget the bag and pump bag to match as well:blush:

The last one's I bought were orange :waycool:

Lynn
23rd-March-2006, 01:53 PM
I wear flat spangle slippers with leather bottoms to dance in, they cost about £20 - £25 depending:confused: Sounds like Drathzel's new shoes she was showing me last night, must try on a pair and see what they are like. (Hers were a little cheaper though :whistle: ).

Though I like heels - I need all the height help I can get!

Lou
23rd-March-2006, 01:55 PM
they're lovely matt red stealth trainers and they go nicely with the zips on some funky trousers
:drool: When are we dancing next, Andy?

I bought some pink little Bloch Slipstreams last week, to go with my car. :o

fletch
23rd-March-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds like Drathzel's new shoes she was showing me last night, must try on a pair and see what they are like. (Hers were a little cheaper though :whistle: ).

They are very flat with spangles on, I can get the standard colours for about £15 but when you go for the orange, turquoise, etc. they seem to cost more ?????????:confused:

I need all the height help I can get :really:

senorita
23rd-March-2006, 03:14 PM
I wear flat spangle slippers with leather bottoms to dance in, they cost about £20 - £25 depending:confused: but its the high heals I buy to match which cost £££££££ and I only wear them to and from the car - venue :sick:

ho and don't forget the bag and pump bag to match as well:blush:

The last one's I bought were orange :waycool:

Although I like/prefer the look of heels, I prefer/rather/only dance with flat shoes.
Can you tell me where you got yours from please?? link?? :flower:

philsmove
23rd-March-2006, 03:51 PM
“Miss timkins’ w’ve discovered that you’ve been visiting inappropriate websites during working hours explained her boss” I-need-habbags.net and madforshoes.com are not work related

drathzel
23rd-March-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds like Drathzel's new shoes she was showing me last night, must try on a pair and see what they are like. (Hers were a little cheaper though :whistle: ).

:yeah: £5 in NV, gypsy slippers with leather soles, they are fab, they have loTs of glitter and are really fancy! Flat too so the help me to dacne as a man(was just on cta course, they say that it works)

i want two new pairs of dance shoes tho, and i cant afford them :tears:

Does anyone know if Kingdom of dance does gift vouchers?:D

Princess Fi
23rd-March-2006, 04:08 PM
You know that new dance-wear campaign that one of the big athletics companies have launched? Well I spent ages looking at their 'create your own dance shoes' section - you can colour coordinate them to your own outfit. Its not fair! I now want a range for every outfit (and since they are 80 quid each, that's not happening!)

Clive Long
23rd-March-2006, 04:15 PM
When I have the money and I go to Heavenly in Watford to get my shoes made what "finish" should I go for?

Two-tone Black & White?
Two-tone Red & Tan?
Patent shiny, shiny?
Sparkly?
Checkerboard matt and patent leather? (I like that idea)

Suggestions needed.

Clive

Tessalicious
23rd-March-2006, 04:20 PM
Sparkly?Clive, you are a man, not a McGregor.
Checkerboard matt and patent leather?That's more like it - looking forward to seeing these when you have time/money to get them.

One of these days I'll make it up there myself, then they'll be sorry.

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 04:21 PM
Two-tone Black & White?

Hmmm too many people wear these.

Two-tone Red & Tan?

This is a bit different so maybe....

:yeah:

Your wife
23rd-March-2006, 04:39 PM
I got my shoes from a dance shop in Pokesdown, near Bournemouth for £31. Theyre basic ceroc shoes but do the job and have lasted me 2 years! It pays to go out of London to buy shoes. I'm off down there to get some more this weekend!:clap:

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 04:44 PM
I got my shoes from a dance shop in Pokesdown, near Bournemouth for £31. Theyre basic ceroc shoes but do the job and have lasted me 2 years! It pays to go out of London to buy shoes. I'm off down there to get some more this weekend!:clap:

I'm sorry to change the subject but..... I, I've just looked at your profile picture and (gulp) it's totally freaked me out!!:eek:

Lou
23rd-March-2006, 05:23 PM
Patent shiny, shiny?
Checkerboard matt and patent leather?

Definitely not two tone anything.

I'm not sure many men could carry off sparkly. Having never met you, Clive, it's hard to tell if you'd be one of them. :flower:

clevedonboy
23rd-March-2006, 05:41 PM

Definitely not two tone anything.

Oi - I like my two tones

I still have my B&W Rumpfs and have recently acquired a pair of gun metal grey & whites from heavenly

fletch
23rd-March-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry to change the subject but..... I, I've just looked at your profile picture and (gulp) it's totally freaked me out!!:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
23rd-March-2006, 05:56 PM
When I have the money and I go to Heavenly in Watford to get my shoes made what "finish" should I go for?

Two-tone Black & White?
Two-tone Red & Tan?
Patent shiny, shiny?
Sparkly?

Suggestions needed.

CliveClive, you're still thinking like a man. Buy all of those shoes and take a careful look on the sale rail too - oh, and try on everything.

And there was a question about men being able to carry off glitter. Don't let them put doubt into your mind. All men can wear glitter to dance in. Although there are 2 things you need to remember;

1. Wash glittery garments carefully as the glitter comes off :tears:
2. Wear a jacket over your glittery shirt when you fill up with petrol at that late-night filling station :what:

Felix (have a stand at Camber/Bognor) now have a lovely range of glittery men's clothes. They've found a new supplier - I told them where I get my glittery gear.

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 05:59 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aww come on.... someone call the RSPCA! :grin:

TA Guy
23rd-March-2006, 06:00 PM

Not going to the Pavilion freestyle are you by any chance ? :)

In a vague attempt to stay on topic...... I like shoes.

fletch
23rd-March-2006, 06:01 PM
1. Wash glittery garments carefully as the glitter comes off :tears:

or on the back seat of a car:blush:

:rofl:

you can't beat glittery:waycool:

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey clive what about these?!!:D

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Andy McGregor
23rd-March-2006, 06:06 PM
I like shoes.Like? LIKE?
LIKE?

You don't get the whole shoe thing. There's no need to be understated about shoes - or glitter...

.. or what scary thing fletch did to rub her glitter onto the back seat upholstery:innocent:

Andy McGregor
23rd-March-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey clive what about these?!!:D

:drool: :drool: :drool:Hey, I had a pair like that in 1973. And I brought them not far from Pokesdown - just down the road in Christchurch.

Lynn
23rd-March-2006, 06:10 PM
Wash glittery garments carefully as the glitter comes off :tears: Which of course can make all your clothes in the same wash a little bit glittery.:D Which can be a good thing. (But make sure its just your dance clothes...:rolleyes: )

Funny, I was asked for advice last night by a male dancer for glittery clothes. Our party on 1st April has an 'All that glitters' theme. Great excuse to wear all my sparkly stuff.

fletch
23rd-March-2006, 06:13 PM
Like? LIKE?
LIKE?

You don't get the whole shoe thing. There's no need to be understated about shoes - or glitter...

.. or what scary thing fletch did to rub her glitter onto the back seat upholstery:innocent:
Its when you loose the glitter off your shoes? :confused: only to see the interior roof of the car light up with them when someone opens the door,:blush: and the light goes on,:eek: and the passenger asks how did they get there.:innocent: :whistle:

Andy McGregor
23rd-March-2006, 06:14 PM
Funny, I was asked for advice last night by a male dancer for glittery clothes. Our party on 1st April has an 'All that glitters' theme. Great excuse to wear all my sparkly stuff.You must have changed you top 15 times and your shoes 23 times.

ducasi
23rd-March-2006, 06:54 PM
Checkerboard matt and patent leather? (I like that idea) That's why I have on my "proper" dance shoes. Real cool. Shame the shoes hurt my feet too much for me to wear them regularly...

Claire S
23rd-March-2006, 07:40 PM

Ducasi has a pair like this.... mmmm shiny! :D
I'd go for them!!!

Lynn
23rd-March-2006, 07:58 PM
You must have changed you top 15 times and your shoes 23 times.Not yet, its next weekend. Though I am thinking of a sparkly LBD* for the first half of the evening, then my sparkly trousers and a sucession of sparkly tops for the rest of the night.

As long as Trampy doesn't borrow all of them...:whistle:

Clive, the checkerboard ones sound nice. Though buying only one pair of shoes on a visit to Heavenly is an achievement in itself. (I managed, this time...)

*Translation for men - Little Black Dress.

Andy McGregor
24th-March-2006, 01:32 AM
Clive, the checkerboard ones sound nice. Though buying only one pair of shoes on a visit to Heavenly is an achievement in itself. (I managed, this time...)Stop talking about buying one pair of shoes as if it's something good. It isn't. You need to go to a shoe shop and buy all the shoes you like. You may need to starve for a month afterwards but you still have the shoes :clap:

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 02:25 AM
Stop talking about buying one pair of shoes as if it's something good. It isn't. You need to go to a shoe shop and buy all the shoes you like. You may need to starve for a month afterwards but you still have the shoes :clap:

When i get a new job i shall follow your advice or wise one and go shopping for more than one pair:D

Andy McGregor
24th-March-2006, 10:14 AM
When i get a new job i shall follow your advice or wise one and go shopping for more than one pair:DNow that you are a professional you must own plenty of pairs of dance shoes - is there any other reason to run your own night?

And the bonus is that I've now sent so many people to Felix they actually give me a discount - it's only about 5% so you have to buy 20 pairs before you get one free. And who's got a problem with buying 20 pairs of dance shoes?

Lynn
24th-March-2006, 12:10 PM
You may need to starve for a month afterwards but you still have the shoes It really has come down to dance shoes or food (petrol, heat etc) - hence the reason I haven't bought any for, oooh... 14 weeks!

I suppose I could do with a nice tangoey pair...

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 12:28 PM
Now that you are a professional you must own plenty of pairs of dance shoes - is there any other reason to run your own night?

And the bonus is that I've now sent so many people to Felix they actually give me a discount - it's only about 5% so you have to buy 20 pairs before you get one free. And who's got a problem with buying 20 pairs of dance shoes?

Tis true and as soon as i start making money from my night i shall buy dance shoes!:D

Donna
24th-March-2006, 12:47 PM
Tis true and as soon as i start making money from my night i shall buy dance shoes!:D

You can even ask someone who works for a show company to set up a little stall on one of your class nights! Mine done it a couple of weeks ago and now he gets a discount whenever he orders any more pairs of shoes of them.

Your wife
24th-March-2006, 01:44 PM
Not going to the Pavilion freestyle are you by any chance ? :)

In a vague attempt to stay on topic...... I like shoes.

Yes Yes Yes!

I'll be wearing black sparkly jeans and a blue top and I'll wear a flower in my hair, and will have 2 other women with me. come and ask for a dance and check out my new shoes:clap: !

Andy McGregor
24th-March-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes Yes Yes!

I'll be wearing black sparkly jeans and a blue top and I'll wear a flower in my hair, and will have 2 other women with me. come and ask for a dance and check out my new shoes:clap: !TA Guy and 3 women in new shoes - could be a night you'll never forget :what:

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 04:18 PM
You can even ask someone who works for a show company to set up a little stall on one of your class nights! Mine done it a couple of weeks ago and now he gets a discount whenever he orders any more pairs of shoes of them.

I am thinking of doing this but i am unsre of how much business that would be done at my class as we are still a very young venue, but you never know at the next weekend of workshop :D

Donna
24th-March-2006, 04:21 PM
I am thinking of doing this but i am unsre of how much business that would be done at my class as we are still a very young venue, but you never know at the next weekend of workshop :D

Ah but think of it this way.... beginners, getting their first pair of dance shoes! It's one thing that might just make them keep it up, and of course, wearing comfortable footwear rather than boots or trainers will make it far more enjoyable and easier for them.

Lynn
24th-March-2006, 08:15 PM
Hmm, I've not had much success buying dance shoes in Belfast - there are only a couple of shops with very limited range. I've bought almost all my shoes when in England (a newish shop does now sell the likes of Bloch trainers but the assistant was rather condesending last time I went in, when I dared suggest brushing suede soles, so I haven't been back).

Anna
25th-March-2006, 04:20 PM
Now that you are a professional you must own plenty of pairs of dance shoes - is there any other reason to run your own night?
?

Does this mean that now I'm opening my own studio I need to buy shoes? Lots more shoes?

I mean, there's about 5 I've had my eye on to be honest.. red glitter in 2 different styles - ankle strap and T bar, both 2 1/2 inch, gold glitter ankle strap 2 1/2 inch, and this pair of really cute luminous white/silver ones...

Trouble is, I already own 7 pairs of shoes :blush: but I mean, one pair is jazz sneakers, the other are big clumpy ceroc shoes, one pair of delicious werner kerns for tango, and 4 for salsa and latin/ballroom - 2 black, one flesh and one silver, which of I only wear the silver pair now anyway as the black pairs are both b*****ed and the flesh coloured pair are soo high, like 3.2 inches.

I think I need to go shopping :devil:

Lynn
25th-March-2006, 04:27 PM
...one pair of delicious werner kerns for tango... :drool: That's what I want next.

My Freed Marissa (black pair) are now so worn they are like leather soles (yes I was brushing them but eventually you just wear through to the suede) - they are proving great for tango in the meantime. I think I'll get them resoled rather than replaced as they are so comfy - and instead buy some Werner Kerns...

Drathzel, I looked at those shoes in NV - all too wide for my narrow feet - esp round the heel. :tears: And they were sparkly and only £5. :tears: :tears:

Andy McGregor
25th-March-2006, 07:23 PM
Does this mean that now I'm opening my own studio I need to buy shoes? Lots more shoes?

I mean, there's about 5 I've had my eye on to be honest.. red glitter in 2 different styles - ankle strap and T bar, both 2 1/2 inch, gold glitter ankle strap 2 1/2 inch, and this pair of really cute luminous white/silver ones...

Trouble is, I already own 7 pairs of shoes :blush: but I mean, one pair is jazz sneakers, the other are big clumpy ceroc shoes, one pair of delicious werner kerns for tango, and 4 for salsa and latin/ballroom - 2 black, one flesh and one silver, which of I only wear the silver pair now anyway as the black pairs are both b*****ed and the flesh coloured pair are soo high, like 3.2 inches.
I love it when a girl talks shoes :waycool:

I think I need to go shopping :devil:And shopping:flower:

fletch
25th-March-2006, 07:33 PM
And shopping:flower:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

TA Guy
26th-March-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes Yes Yes!

I'll be wearing black sparkly jeans and a blue top and I'll wear a flower in my hair, and will have 2 other women with me. come and ask for a dance and check out my new shoes:clap: !

I apologise. I didn't see this until the Sunday morning or I would have loved a dance :) Would have lost my forumnite virginity :what:

Andy McGregor
26th-March-2006, 03:45 PM
I apologise. I didn't see this until the Sunday morning or I would have loved a dance :) Would have lost my forumnite virginity :what:Don't worry, I'm sure somebody pretended to be you. Let's hope they don't ask you for a DNA test...

littlewiggle
2nd-September-2006, 05:44 PM
Anyone know where I can buy ballroom suede from - got a really comfy pair of shoes and want to stick this on the soles. I've been in a few cobbler type places nut they just looked at me blankly and said they don't do it!

Lynn
2nd-September-2006, 06:49 PM
Anyone know where I can buy ballroom suede from - got a really comfy pair of shoes and want to stick this on the soles. I've been in a few cobbler type places nut they just looked at me blankly and said they don't do it!If you can source it from somewhere online, some cobblers might put it on for you, even if they can't supply it. Last time I got a pair of boots reheeled I asked, for future reference, and they said they could do this, if I provided the materials.

Twirly
3rd-September-2006, 12:40 AM
Have you tried a proper cobblers (rather than a shoe repair shop)? Find somewhere that makes shoes by hand on the premises. Just a guess though - might not be much help.

clevedonboy
3rd-September-2006, 01:15 AM
Anyone know where I can buy ballroom suede from - got a really comfy pair of shoes and want to stick this on the soles. I've been in a few cobbler type places nut they just looked at me blankly and said they don't do it!

My local shop did the job for me. Supadance manufacture the soles. I suggest you get on the phone to the repairers in your area

Lucy Locket
3rd-September-2006, 11:20 AM
That's why I have on my "proper" dance shoes. Real cool. Shame the shoes hurt my feet too much for me to wear them regularly...

Come and try some Seksi Dancewear shoes at the Scottish Champs x

Mr Cool
3rd-September-2006, 12:14 PM

Why dont you do it yourself most suede will do the job. The local charity shop is a good source use the shoes as templates clean the soles withe a wire brush/ sandpaper bostik
or any good glue will do the job ( not water based) Job done.
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Lucy Locket
3rd-September-2006, 12:31 PM
My Dad's a cobbler & alters my Seksi Dancewear shoes for customers. He might be able to do them for you, you can send them to me. Would you like me to ask him?

:flower:

Lynn
3rd-September-2006, 02:33 PM
My Dad's a cobbler & alters my Seksi Dancewear shoes for customers. Which is fab, as you can get the shoes you want, but they fit. :D :hug:

littlewiggle
3rd-September-2006, 06:48 PM
My Dad's a cobbler & alters my Seksi Dancewear shoes for customers. He might be able to do them for you, you can send them to me. Would you like me to ask him?

:flower:

That would be cool - can he do anything for sandals that are too tight too???!!

littlewiggle
3rd-September-2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone had any luck dyeing shoes? I have a pair of gold satin that I want to be black. Any recommendations on what to use? Preferably something that doesn't stain feet after a few dances!!!

littlewiggle
4th-September-2006, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't normally sell secondhand shoes - but have a lovely pair of Werner Kern Mary gold sandals that have only been worn for an hour so as new! I figure it's only the same as someone trying them on in the shops for a bit! These are Werner Kern's latest style. Cost me £75 from Kingdom of Dance - these are a size 4.5 and are a little too big for me so I now have a size 4. PM if interested - hoping to get around the £30 mark for them. My loss - your gain - they are really soft calf leather with suede sole - Picture can be found on how much do dance shoes influence your style thread - but I can't get it to add here!

MartinHarper
13th-October-2006, 11:10 AM
Two slightly different types of shoe for dancers. Firstly, "heelys", which look to be ideal for those of us who like our heel slides:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5323086.stm

Secondly, I was listening on the radio, and they were talking about some new shoes that allegedly are good exercise, and improve posture and balance. As far as I can tell, the story was referring to these:

http://www.imbfitness.co.uk/EARTH%20SHOES.htm

Probably no good for actually dancing in, but the proclaimed benefits seemed relevant to dancers: "Standing incorrectly results in loss of muscle tone in your core inner muscles. Re-aligning your posture allows your core muscles to work as nature intended and over time they will strengthen."

I'm tempted by both, but I'm not sure which to try out first. Suggestions?

MartinHarper
13th-October-2006, 11:35 AM
Or indeed these:
http://www.lovethoseshoes.com/InfoAdvice/Orthotebb/HowtoWalk.asp

MartinHarper
14th-October-2006, 06:03 PM
As far as I can tell, the story was referring to these: ...

On further research, they may well have been these more sophisticated MBT affairs:
http://www.swissmasai.co.uk/

Tiggerbabe
15th-October-2006, 01:06 PM
I like the look of these, Martin, and desperately need new trainers. Might have to head to John Lewis and try them out. :hug:

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 01:40 PM
There was a thread earlier this year (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8550) about MBT Masai Barefoot Technology shoes.

In particular this link (http://www.lovethoseshoes.com/InfoAdvice/MBT/Default.asp) looked interesting....