PDA

View Full Version : Cooking

Ste
22nd-March-2006, 03:05 AM
I was wondering if we could discuss one of my favourite topics.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes or tips on making cakes etc?

I make lots of food for the lovely Donna and she and I ( well, mostly she really) have made 2 Carrot cakes ( highly recommended ) from Tesco. We did use a cake mix....by someone called Crockett. We then plastered the cakes with icing....really yummy.

Alice
22nd-March-2006, 03:18 AM

I make lots of food for the lovely Donna and she and I ( well, mostly she really) have made 2 Carrot cakes ( highly recommended ) from Tesco. We did use a cake mix....by someone called Crockett. We then plastered the cakes with icing....really yummy.
Don't eat all the mixture before you cook it:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aleks
22nd-March-2006, 11:21 AM

Sparkles makes fab carrot cake....

Gadget
22nd-March-2006, 01:33 PM

Does anyone have any favourite recipes or tips on making cakes etc
Try this thread...:
Recipes Thread - by popular demand! (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6831)

Angel
22nd-March-2006, 01:52 PM
Sparkles makes fab carrot cake....

Yum :drool: carrot cake is my favourite. Must get to know this Sparkles :flower:

Genie
22nd-March-2006, 02:10 PM
Oooh! Cooking! A fav hobby of mine. Students are not meant to cook, I know, but I spend more time in the kitchen than I do anywhere else! I eat too much :-(

I will explore this recipe thread! Thanks for pointing it out, Gadget xx

Donna
22nd-March-2006, 03:11 PM
I make lots of food for the lovely Donna and she and I

:eek: I? I!!!?

( well, mostly she really)

:yeah: :rofl:

Barry Shnikov
23rd-March-2006, 12:00 AM
Here ya go.

Sussex Pond Pudding.

Take a pudding bowl. Make enough suet pastry to line the bowl and make a top. (Suet pastry recipes available on back of Atora packs, eg.)

Line the bowl. Put ½ cm thick layer of sugar on bottom. Take a lemon and stab it many many times with a fork. Put it on the sugar layer. Build up alternate layers of currants, butter cubes and sugar until the lemon is just covered.

Fit top made of suet pastry on top of the pudding. Cook in pressure cooker or microwave (see instructions with microwave or pressure cooker.)

When ready, allow to cool slightly.

Warm pint of full cream milk in saucepan. Beat 3 egg yolks, 3 oz sugar and pinch of cornflour in a bowl until the mixture thickens and turns cream coloured. Slowly pour warm milk over the egg mixture, stirring gently. Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat VERY GENTLY, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Check every thirty seconds to see if mixture will coat the back of the spoon (pull finger across back of spoon: if it leaves a path in the mixture, it's done.)

Take off the heat immediately.

Turn suet pudding upside down into large serving dish. Pour custard into sauce boat. Take to table. Cut into pudding and a 'pond' of butter will pour into the dish...

(Did I post this before?)

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 12:31 PM
Here ya go.

Sussex Pond Pudding.

Take a pudding bowl. Make enough suet pastry to line the bowl and make a top. (Suet pastry recipes available on back of Atora packs, eg.)

Line the bowl. Put ½ cm thick layer of sugar on bottom. Take a lemon and stab it many many times with a fork. Put it on the sugar layer. Build up alternate layers of currants, butter cubes and sugar until the lemon is just covered.

Fit top made of suet pastry on top of the pudding. Cook in pressure cooker or microwave (see instructions with microwave or pressure cooker.)

When ready, allow to cool slightly.

Warm pint of full cream milk in saucepan. Beat 3 egg yolks, 3 oz sugar and pinch of cornflour in a bowl until the mixture thickens and turns cream coloured. Slowly pour warm milk over the egg mixture, stirring gently. Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat VERY GENTLY, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Check every thirty seconds to see if mixture will coat the back of the spoon (pull finger across back of spoon: if it leaves a path in the mixture, it's done.)

Take off the heat immediately.

Turn suet pudding upside down into large serving dish. Pour custard into sauce boat. Take to table. Cut into pudding and a 'pond' of butter will pour into the dish...

(Did I post this before?)

Now this sounds lovely! :drool:

Barry Shnikov
24th-March-2006, 12:44 AM
Now this sounds lovely! :drool:

You better believe it!! And at about a million calories per serving, it needs to be!

Maybe I should do one for Bognor or Camber...

Donna
24th-March-2006, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Shnikov]You better believe it!! And at about a million calories per serving, it needs to be!

Who cares if it's a million calories? If it tastes good.... just get it down ya I say!

did you try my oxo recipe? :D :rofl:

Barry Shnikov
25th-March-2006, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE]

Who cares if it's a million calories? If it tastes good.... just get it down ya I say!

did you try my oxo recipe? :D :rofl:

um...no...

Am cooking curry for a friend tonight.
Chicken
Onions
Ghee
Yogurt
Creamed coconut
Chillis
Cumin
Coriander (spice and herb)
Onion seeds
Mustard seeds
Paprika
Asafoetida

slurp

...want the recipe?

Donna
27th-March-2006, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Donna]

um...no...

Am cooking curry for a friend tonight.
Chicken
Onions
Ghee
Yogurt
Creamed coconut
Chillis
Cumin
Coriander (spice and herb)
Onion seeds
Mustard seeds
Paprika
Asafoetida

slurp

...want the recipe?

Ur.. I'M NOT GONNA SAY NO! :drool: Go on then!

WittyBird
27th-March-2006, 11:46 PM

So when you've made it please post a picture of it :rofl: In fact post a picture of you eating it :flower: That would be so good :D

Barry Shnikov
27th-March-2006, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Shnikov]

ok.

Put freshly ground coriander, cumin, mustard seeds and paprika in frying pan. Warm but don't burn them. When hot, add tablespoon ghee. Mix to a paste. Add another tablespoon of ghee and when melted add half the onions (at least one large one). Soften the onions. When on the point of caramelising (watch carefully as the spices will make it difficult to tell) add a pack of creamed coconut. It will gradually melt, and you'll end up with a thick paste.
Scrape the whole lot into a bowl, add a bit of boiling water to the pan, slosh it round and add to the bowl.

Frying pan back on the heat. Add some more cumin and coriander, when aromatised add tablespoon ghee. Add chopped garlic and sliced chillis - one whole chilli and two others minus seeds for mild curry, up to four whole chopped for a stinger. When garlic and peppers softened, add your meat - chopped into about 1" cubes if chicken, half inch if anything else. Brown the meat and cook until safely cooked.

Add the contents of the bowl back to the pan and warm through again. Add about half pint of yogurt and mix in. For an oily curry, add more ghee; otherwise, add water to reach desired consistency.

Serve with aloo sag, bhindi bhajee and a couple of warm naan breads.

Sparkles
28th-March-2006, 10:00 AM
Use quality ingredients in cakes - it really does make a difference (and personally I always use free-range eggs too, but that's just me).

If you're making a sponge NEVER open the oven to 'check' the cake. Leave it for the required cooking time and don't be tempted to open the oven door - or you'll end up with a biscuit rather than a cake.

The best carrot cake recipe I've tried is Nigella Lawson's - the quantity of mixture is to make a batch of cupcakes, but works equally well in two 2lb loaf tins or one 4lb loaf tin (but it's best to increase the cooking time slightly). It also comes out just as well if you substitute normal wheat flour for rice flour.

Donna
28th-March-2006, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Donna]

ok.

Put freshly ground coriander, cumin, mustard seeds and paprika in frying pan. Warm but don't burn them. When hot, add tablespoon ghee. Mix to a paste. Add another tablespoon of ghee and when melted add half the onions (at least one large one). Soften the onions. When on the point of caramelising (watch carefully as the spices will make it difficult to tell) add a pack of creamed coconut. It will gradually melt, and you'll end up with a thick paste.
Scrape the whole lot into a bowl, add a bit of boiling water to the pan, slosh it round and add to the bowl.

Frying pan back on the heat. Add some more cumin and coriander, when aromatised add tablespoon ghee. Add chopped garlic and sliced chillis - one whole chilli and two others minus seeds for mild curry, up to four whole chopped for a stinger. When garlic and peppers softened, add your meat - chopped into about 1" cubes if chicken, half inch if anything else. Brown the meat and cook until safely cooked.

Add the contents of the bowl back to the pan and warm through again. Add about half pint of yogurt and mix in. For an oily curry, add more ghee; otherwise, add water to reach desired consistency.

Serve with aloo sag, bhindi bhajee and a couple of warm naan breads.

Mmmmm.... I've printed this off. :drool: Ok, now I've got to have it this week! Damn don't have the time... can you send some in the post for me? :grin: :flower:

Barry Shnikov
28th-March-2006, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Shnikov]

Mmmmm.... I've printed this off. :drool: Ok, now I've got to have it this week! Damn don't have the time... can you send some in the post for me? :grin: :flower:

Can't, not allowed to send flammable things in the post!!!

Daisy Fox
28th-April-2006, 11:49 AM

My mum passed on her recipe to me for a no fail chocolate cake, really moist - slightly sticky, quick and easy and impossible to ruin! Just thought, that actually sounds like a really bad personal ad!!
I used to be a proffessional cake maker and decorator and this always went down well.

10oz Plain Flour, 3oz Cocoa Powder, 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. 7 1/2 oz Caster Sugar, 3 loaded tbsp of Golden syrup, 3 large eggs, 7 1/2 floz Corn Oil and 7 1/2 floz milk.

If you don't want chocolate just substitute the 3oz cocoa powder for more flour - makes a lovely golden sponge.

Method - Put all wet ingredients in a food processor, mix well. Add dry ingredients, blitz again until mixed.
Makes enough for deep 10inch cake tin - cook at 160 degrees for 40 mins or until its ready.

Enjoy. Great with fudge icing (shop bought in a can) or for a real treat - split the cake and fill with a tin of morello cherries - whipped extra thick double cream, and then smother the whole cake in more cream and sprinkle with crushed up Cadbury flakes. Delicious.
God I am really hungry now:)