PDA

View Full Version : 'How to Jive'

JiveMagic
7th-March-2003, 02:17 PM
Many dancers will be familiar with the video 'How to Jive', released some years ago... Well, to coincide with the release of the DVD version, Christine Keeble (the producer) has launched a website which you may find interesting:

www.howtojive.com (http://www.howtojive.com)

Jon

Dreadful Scathe
7th-March-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by JiveMagic
Many dancers will be familiar with the video 'How to Jive', released some years ago... Well, to coincide with the release of the DVD version, Christine Keeble (the producer) has launched a website which you may find interesting:

Jon

Nice attractive site. I find it strange that creative people (i.e. dancers) are generally so bad at web sites, the worst site being ceroc.com - truly dire :) but maybe they just get people who are bad at web sites to mess it up on their behalf :).

DavidB
7th-March-2003, 03:02 PM
The spelling of some of the names on the credits is interesting

Will
7th-March-2003, 03:04 PM
Gotta agree with you there DS.

However, I've recently put Ceroc UK in touch with a web designer friend of mine. She has put together the Ceroc Champs site and is currently working on a New site for Ceroc London. I think you'll find that they are infinately better than the current creation. :nice:

If any of you like her work, she is always looking for freelance contracts........ :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-March-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
The spelling of some of the names on the credits is interesting

I noticed that too 'CeRoc' anyone ? :)

will: yeah her work is great the Champs site uses strange code for the menus though - very slow in netscape 6/mozilla and they dont work at all in Opera. im in a pedantic mode today :)

Clayton
7th-March-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JiveMagic

Jon
On the “How to Jive” video, a face that I haven’t seen in a while…… Simon De Lisle

Not sure if many people (other than those that have been around for at least 5 years) would know Simon De Lisle. Living/teaching in OZ, he is still one of the most stylish & influential dancers Modern Jive has seen. This man has taught me a "heck" of a lot about dancing.

First Male to win Advanced Freestyle in both Australia & the UK….easier said than done due to the style differences.

Haven’t seen the video but if it shows off Simons style.... it may be worth a look

Clayton

geesabun
11th-March-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm the unfortunate owner of reluctant husband - it's not that he doesn't want to do the dancing thing, he just doesn't want to feel completely useless at the beginning. Any feedback on whether this DVD might be the key to my problem as a primer to getting along to an actual real live class?

TheTramp
11th-March-2003, 12:14 AM
Hiya Geesabun

Can I suggest a beginners course for your husband. It's a 4 hour workshop on a weekend, where he would learn about 10 moves along with some pointers on how to dance them, in a much smaller environment, along (exclusively) with other beginners.

It's the best way to get past that 'help, I'm just a beginner, and don't know anything' stage (although, I'm not quite past it yet).

I'm sure that the DVD is useful as an aid, but nothing beats getting out there and doing it. I'm sure that someone will be running a beginners workshop near to where you live. If you need any help finding one, if you decide that's the way to go, drop me a PM, and I'll see what I can find.

Steve

geesabun
11th-March-2003, 12:21 AM
We went to a beginner's workshop ages ago - I loved every minute of it (well after the initial terror that is), but hubby found it a bit intimidating :o( I realise it's a lot harder for you guys 'cos you have to do all the remembering as well as not falling over so I'm looking for something to break him in gently and allow him to get up a wee bit of confidence. Also, with work commitments it's unlikely we would be able to get to weekly classes and might only manage one every couple of months (it'll be FOREVER before we get going at that rate, lol).

Dance Demon
11th-March-2003, 01:17 AM
Buy the DVD...
My wife started dancing, and tried for six months to get me to go, and I resisted, much for the same reasons as your hubby. She brought home this video, and we tried some moves at home, and I eventually plucked up the courage to go to a class. It is clear and teaches the move well, and also includes some good clips of dancers dressed the way a lot of people used to dress when Ceroc was known as french Jive.
:cheers:

geesabun
11th-March-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks Dance Demon!! I will get it then. I was hoping someone would say exactly what you just did :) Today the living room, tomorrow the GUU, one day maybe even Partick Burgh Halls!!! :cheers:

jiveoholic
11th-March-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by geesabun
I'm the unfortunate owner of reluctant husband - it's not that he doesn't want to do the dancing thing, he just doesn't want to feel completely useless at the beginning. Any feedback on whether this DVD might be the key to my problem as a primer to getting along to an actual real live class?

I was terrified when I first went! My problem was that unless I REALLY knew the moves inside out, there was not chance of me relaxing into them, certainly not enjoying them. If he wants to do some private homework (without his owner watching), he might like to pop to www.jiveoholic.org.uk where there are illustrations of the contortions one has to get into!

I have watched the video and it is really good. I have been to workshops and they are good too. 'orses for courses.

Of course you might like to let him go on his own for a few weeks.

Graham
11th-March-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi, geesabun!

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but when I started dancing it was the prospect of my owner watching (and pointing and laughing :wink: ) which made me nervous about going. So I went to my first workshop on my own, and for a couple of months we attended separate classes. Even now we find it very hard to dance with each other without one of us criticising the other.

Good luck with the video, or whatever you decide to try!

:cheers:
Graham

Gus
11th-March-2003, 02:53 PM
Another 'Learn to Jive' type video is the Le Jive vid (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CQ7U/qid=1047390540/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3_3/026-3639184-6769248). I remember seeing this many years ago and thought it was quite good. It was created by Robert Austin (aka Fat Jive :tears: ) and his partner Claire. They seem to have left Modern Jive behind after the collapse of LeJive and gone across to the 'dark' side (aka Lindy) with no small amount of success. Can't say I've ever liked the guy himslef but its a good video.

Whichever tape you go for, they both have their good and bad points, I think they are usefull introductions ... as well as an indicator of how far the dance has come in the last 8 years on so (some great haircuts :wink: ).

geesabun
11th-March-2003, 07:14 PM
Yay! Thanks for all the answers on this - sounds like a plan then. I never thought about him going on his own either - that sounds like a good idea too. Hey, maybe he's been secretly going all these months and is just waiting for an opportune moment to reveal his true colours!!
:grin:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
13th-March-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Gus
It was created by Robert Austin (aka Fat Jive :tears: ) and his partner Claire. They seem to have left Modern Jive behind after the collapse of LeJive and gone across to the 'dark' side (aka Lindy) with no small amount of success.

They saw the light then.........
:wink:

uk-jive
20th-March-2003, 12:39 PM
Christine is running a photo competition with 10 copies of the DVD up for grabs.

Full details : http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/news.asp