PDA

View Full Version : Intel Core Duo + McAfee (Laptops)

Freddie_C
20th-March-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi,

Just recently purchased an Advent 7091 with an Intel Core Duo, and it freezes every time McAfee is installed, connects to the internet when McAfee isn't installed, but won't do anything when McAfee is installed, plus it's a very up to date version of McAfee.

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Freddie.

WittyBird
21st-March-2006, 12:21 AM
Why do you want to use McAfee?

Freddie_C
21st-March-2006, 11:05 AM
Because I think it's one of the best Virus Scan + Internet Security Suites around.

Plus, I don't have much cash to spend on another Virus/Internet Security Suite that still may not work.

Trousers
21st-March-2006, 11:08 AM
Its working

No internet = no virus

That doesn't really help does it!??

Dreadful Scathe
21st-March-2006, 11:12 AM
McAfee created all the viruses out there to build their business, they are not to be trusted ;)

philsmove
21st-March-2006, 01:09 PM
I don’t much about MacAfee

Does it have a firewall as well as a virus thingy?

Windows does not like having more than on firewall running at once

McJester
21st-March-2006, 01:39 PM
Plus, I don't have much cash to spend on another Virus/Internet Security Suite that still may not work.

Try AVG, it is free to personal use and I find that it is as good as most other AV programs, plus I have had endless problems with McAfee at work, personally I avoid it .

As for firewalls ZoneAlarm is good

:hug:
McJ

Andreas
21st-March-2006, 01:56 PM
Try downloading the latest updates to McAfee BEFORE you install the suite. There was a major issue in one of their releases and you may be victim of that.

Otherwise, I can only agree with what has been said before: Keep your distance. There are enough free products around to keep you reasonably safe. I cannot recommend using McAfee or Norton and both claim to have a (b)leading edge.

WittyBird
21st-March-2006, 07:29 PM
Because I think it's one of the best Virus Scan + Internet Security Suites around.

:rofl: :rofl: that is the funniest thing I have heard today, you really have cheered me up, have some rep :rofl:

frodo
21st-March-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi,

Just recently purchased an Advent 7091 with an Intel Core Duo, and it freezes every time McAfee is installed, connects to the internet when McAfee isn't installed, but won't do anything when McAfee is installed, plus it's a very up to date version of McAfee.

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Freddie.
It's always possible McAfee is clashing with another piece of software on the machine. It might be worth looking at what other system level software might be installed.

You've got a very new laptop and it sometimes takes software vendors some time to get their software running properly on it. Also the laptop vendors may not get their BIOS and especially power management quite right to start with, so it may be worth making sure the drivers / BIOS on the laptop are fully updated.

Another thing you could try is turning off the second core of the duo to become a uno. Errors in software can be much more likely to show up on a dual core system.

I'd agree with you (from versions 3 to 6).

Could just about tolerate the spam then. Version 7 had problems with the additions and removals of network cards, so I found it effectively unusable.

Version 9. It's hard to believe McAfee with the resources they have could do such a bad job - Because the McAfee interface depends on Internet Explorer if you set your internet settings to something approaching secure McAfee doesn't work.

The software really should be a quality product it they expect their customers to put up with something as barefaced as the "Anti-Abuse index".

Freddie_C
22nd-March-2006, 12:03 PM
Finally got a reply from McAfee, they said conflicting software and gave me many ways to attempt to fix it. Going to try them out, thanks to everyone that helped (especially Frodo).

Have some rep all. :nice:

Reklaw
22nd-March-2006, 04:59 PM
Finally got a reply from McAfee, they said conflicting software and gave me many ways to attempt to fix it... Ah-hem ... gave WHO??? "many ways to attempt a fix" :mad:

Signed: Fred's laptop's installer/fixer! :wink: