PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense RIP

philsmove
20th-March-2006, 10:17 AM
This came in from a friend I though I would share it with you

OBITUARY
Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as when to come in out of the rain, why the early birds get the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault.
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do in disciplining their unruly children and when hugging a crying four year-old became a punishable offence. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticking plaster to a student, but could not inform parents if one became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.
Common Sense lost the will to live when the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. It took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself in your own home from a burglar and the burglar can sue you for assault.
Common Sense finally gave up after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled some in her lap and was awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was predeceased by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility and his son, Reason.
He is survived by three step brothers: I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame and I'm a Victim.
MAY HE REST IN PEACE

jacksondonut
20th-March-2006, 10:35 AM
Sad to say, I heartily agree with the above... Its seems so true. Common Sense used to be a blessing, and now in the 21st Century it seems to have become a curse..

I use my 'common sense' 24 hours a day.. just waiting for someone to tell me (big brother is watching you.!.) that it is Illegal... :sad:

:yeah:

stewart38
20th-March-2006, 10:41 AM
Sad to say, I heartily agree with the above... Its seems so true. Common Sense used to be a blessing, and now in the 21st Century it seems to have become a curse..

I use my 'common sense' 24 hours a day.. just waiting for someone to tell me (big brother is watching you.!.) that it is Illegal... :sad:

The funnest strory I had for a lack of common sense was from mid 80s when I worked at Wimpy as student

On a saturday in Kingston we were very busy and kept running out of chips and the guy wasnt getting it 'right'

so the supervisor told him every time some chips are ready immediately put in some more , deep fat friers, which he duly did until the chips were falling on the floor (too many of them)

It was so funny you had to be there :whistle:

he was being vindictive he was just following orders and didnt have the sense to stop when the chips were falling on the floor

His name TONY BLAIR (sorry made last bit up)

Dreadful Scathe
20th-March-2006, 11:10 AM
Thats quite American-centric :)

Common Sense lost the will to live when the Ten Commandments became contraband,

Thats never been the case but some right wing christian Americans try to claim it is because there is a movement for getting rid of religious bias in public buildings - thats a good thing in most peoples book :).

Common Sense finally gave up after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled some in her lap and was awarded a huge settlement.

That woman was Stella Liebeck and when this went to court, McDonalds, who sold her the coffee, admitted that it was "not fit for consumption" when sold because it was too hot. It was proven it would cause 3rd degree burns in 2-7 seconds. Saying that though - coffee is supposed to be drunk at that temperature and the woman, for reasons known only to herself, held it between her knees when it spilled. So Ive got to agree with this one, McDonalds were guilty of not making allowances for very stupid people :) see here for the full story (http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html)

Rhythm King
20th-March-2006, 12:30 PM
Sadly the most sensible resident of No 10 Downing Street in recent years passed away yesterday. At least there was a decent obituary on the BBC News this morning. RIP Humphrey the Cat :sad:

Princess Fi
20th-March-2006, 01:22 PM
Sadly the most sensible resident of No 10 Downing Street in recent years passed away yesterday. At least there was a decent obituary on the BBC News this morning. RIP Humphrey the Cat :sad:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-March-2006, 01:31 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Do you laugh at Funerals ? :(

Princess Fi
20th-March-2006, 03:17 PM
:eek: no - I do sincerely feel bad for the loss of poor Humphrey

For one thing our government surely now lacks any real sense of leadership and dignity!

Dreadful Scathe
20th-March-2006, 05:00 PM
:eek: no - I do sincerely feel bad for the loss of poor Humphrey

For one thing our government surely now lacks any real sense of leadership and dignity!
indeed. maybe he'll haunt the place and the odd 'miaoooow' can still affect policy :)

DianaS
20th-March-2006, 05:20 PM
"Common Sense"
Just read this and got an answer to an email circulated earlier

Broke into giggles, spilt coffee, started to choke, went blue...
:rofl:
----- Reply -----
i will bring laptop, memory stick, and brain withorwithout memory...
just for a powerpoint ...
----- Original Message -----
Hello Everyone
I know I’ve been prolific in my reminders about printing and I’m afraid here’s another. I am out of the office tomorrow so wanted to ensure that you all had your short paragraph and 2 page exec. summary to me by the close of the day on the 21st.
Those with interactive output; Diana has asked, as part of your presentation, could you please demo of your output on Thursday. Can you let know ASAP whether that means bringing your own kit or can this be done via memory stick?
Thanks very much- See you Thursday

DianaS
20th-March-2006, 05:28 PM
Rumours of a conspiracy are starting to emerge. The demise of Common Sense is seen in some quarters as both untimely and not entirely by natural means.
The finger of suspicion has ben directed in part at Common Senses half brother Litigation. Litigation has benefitted substantially from Common Sences untimely demise and has stepped into the shoes of common sense with unseemly haste and vigour...

Barry Shnikov
20th-March-2006, 09:45 PM
Common sense has never been very common and it often isn't sensible...

McDonald's had been warned several times by the US equivalent of the HSE that they were serving their coffee too hot; they served it several degrees hotter than other outlets. In this case, IIRC the woman got her coffee in a 'Drive Thru' so the chances of spillage were higher than otherwise. As usual, especially when legal matters are involved, the media focus on the thing which will make the story, rather than give a reasoned analysis (salesman are advised to 'sell the sizzle, not the sausage', with which most media seem to agree). A large part of the damages were punitive damages, awarded because McDonald's hadn't responded to the earlier warnings.

The more ridiculous claim was that of the NY fat bloke who was trying to claim it was McDonald's fault he was fat because they hadn't put warnings on their products...

jacksondonut
21st-March-2006, 06:55 PM
Common sense has never been very common and it often isn't sensible...
The more ridiculous claim was that of the NY fat bloke who was trying to claim it was McDonald's fault he was fat because they hadn't put warnings on their products...

Im still waiting for all those expensive beauty products to work (the ones claiming to take years off you..) :yeah: :yeah: ..... if they did I would look about 2 years of age.....:rofl: :rofl: The amount of money they cost, I am surprised most of the women who use them, havent sued for damages....
:rofl: :rofl: ......

*maybe I am just not using enough of them...*:confused:

Princess Fi
21st-March-2006, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=jacksondonut]Im still waiting for all those expensive beauty products to work (the ones claiming to take years off you..)[/ QUOTE]

I'm personally not looking forward to having the skin of a 13 yr old!

jacksondonut
21st-March-2006, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=jacksondonut]Im still waiting for all those expensive beauty products to work (the ones claiming to take years off you..) QUOTE]

I'm personally not looking forward to having the skin of a 13 yr old!

well, how about a sixteen year old...??? after the acne has gone of course...
:rofl: :rofl:

*heads off to the bathroom cabinet to take some more vitamins.*

philsmove
18th-April-2006, 09:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4918910.stm

WittyBird
18th-April-2006, 10:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4918910.stm
:rofl: how jobsworth is that! It's pathetic

philsmove
13th-November-2006, 07:06 PM
This really takes the biscuit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

Double Trouble
13th-November-2006, 07:16 PM
This really takes the biscuit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

I read about this today and could not believe my ears. What next? Extra mars bars for fat prisoners who don't get enough food & feel there gluttony is not being taken seriously?

I can see the headline now........"Fat lifer forced to go cold turkey when he is only given cold turkey to eat & gets out of court settlement for losing 10 stone"

SHOOT ME NOW.....!:mad:

David Bailey
14th-November-2006, 09:21 AM
I read about this today and could not believe my ears. What next? Extra mars bars for fat prisoners who don't get enough food & feel there gluttony is not being taken seriously?
Like all these stories, it's more complex than that. The vast majority of cases were where the prisoner was on a methodone-based withdrawal programme, which was changed without his consent to cold turkey.

So I'd imagine that their argument would be as follows:

They were on (effectively) a medical treatment programme (methodone)
This medical treatment was removed in prison
This removal was equivalent to assault.

Something like that. They'd clearly have a plausible case on the face of it.

The blame lies with the prison staff who decided to force a change from methodone to cold turkey without checking its legality.

El Salsero Gringo
14th-November-2006, 09:45 AM
Like all these stories, it's more complex than that.What, you mean all criminals aren't scum who deserve to be put down like dogs and we only let them rot in hell-hole prisons as special favour to their Aunts Doris?

David Bailey
14th-November-2006, 10:20 AM
What, you mean all criminals aren't scum who deserve to be put down like dogs and we only let them rot in hell-hole prisons as special favour to their Aunts Doris?
Indeed. Sometimes they don't have an Aunt Doris. What do we do with them then? :confused:

Double Trouble
14th-November-2006, 11:32 AM
Indeed. Sometimes they don't have an Aunt Doris. What do we do with them then? :confused:

Shoot them? Save us all a small fortune in tax.

Barry Shnikov
14th-November-2006, 04:13 PM
Like all these stories, it's more complex than that. The vast majority of cases were where the prisoner was on a methodone-based withdrawal programme, which was changed without his consent to cold turkey.

So I'd imagine that their argument would be as follows:

They were on (effectively) a medical treatment programme (methodone)
This medical treatment was removed in prison
This removal was equivalent to assault.

Something like that. They'd clearly have a plausible case on the face of it.

The blame lies with the prison staff who decided to force a change from methodone to cold turkey without checking its legality.

:yeah: Can't improve on that answer.

philsmove
21st-December-2006, 04:59 PM
Just to cheer you up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6200005.stm

philsmove
28th-January-2009, 12:12 PM
Do you carry a proof of age

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7853913.stm

Clueless
28th-January-2009, 01:56 PM
this was quoted on the page

"A spokesperson for the store said: "We take the sale of alcohol to underage people extremely seriously. "

This is taking the absolute mick! ok so Chavs and underagers are going to dress up like OAP's now? Please get REAL!!!

Dreadful Scathe
28th-January-2009, 03:11 PM
Just to cheer you up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6200005.stm
Ha. How can you trust any "news" article that has "We're not in the business of predicting the future, but"...yeah "but" - and why if you are "not in the business of predicting the future" do you use "futures researchers" to do your research ? :)

This is firmly in the realm of science fiction - Isaac Asimov no less; "The Bicentennial Man" (filmed in 1999s with Robin Williams in the leading role) has the "rights of robots" as its plot.

Dreadful Scathe
28th-January-2009, 03:38 PM
this was quoted on the page

"A spokesperson for the store said: "We take the sale of alcohol to underage people extremely seriously. "

This is taking the absolute mick! ok so Chavs and underagers are going to dress up like OAP's now? Please get REAL!!!
eh? Its nice to see underage drinking being taken seriously. The only outrage against common sense is its really not that hard to tell if someone is older than 25 and automatically serve them without needing ID. But then again, maybe the person serving had a problem with faces? are we to not employ people with Prosopagnosia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia) just because Clueless and Philsmove are bigoted against them ;)

Beowulf
28th-January-2009, 03:52 PM
This is firmly in the realm of science fiction - Isaac Asimov no less; "The Bicentennial Man" (filmed in 1999s with Robin Williams in the leading role) has the "rights of robots" as its plot.

are we to not employ people with Prosopagnosia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia) just because Clueless and Philsmove are bigoted against them ;)

or perhaps to carry the Robin williams reference a little further.. he could have had an aging disorder like Robin in the film "Jack" and was actually only a really old looking 7 year old? :wink: :whistle:

David Bailey
28th-January-2009, 04:09 PM
It's rubbish, the most annoying part of it is that it's taxpayer-funded rubbish.

From that article:

Robots could one day demand the same citizen's rights as humans, according to a study by the British government.

The research was commissioned by the UK Office of Science and Innovation's Horizon Scanning Centre.

The paper which addresses Robo-rights, titled Utopian dream or rise of the machines? examines the developments in artificial intelligence and how this may impact on law and politics.

The paper says a "monumental shift" could occur if robots develop to the point where they can reproduce, improve themselves or develop artificial intelligence.

The research suggests that at some point in the next 20 to 50 years robots could be granted rights.
What? :what: I mean, what? :confused:

Are these people monumentally clueless about AI, or what? :banghead:

Grrr, I want my money back.

philsmove
8th-December-2010, 08:17 AM
Well it looks like Common Sense may be alive after all :clap:

Nativity photos not against law, says data watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11945081)

Dreadful Scathe
8th-December-2010, 11:33 AM

Nativity photos not against law, says data watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11945081)
i took photos last year, and thought nothing of it. The lighting was terrible though :)

jivecat
8th-December-2010, 03:28 PM
i took photos last year, and thought nothing of it. The lighting was terrible though :)

Yeah, we have a photo-opportunity after our assemblies and plays. Think we have to get permission for photos which might go in the local paper, though.

I have heard anecdotal evidence of parents who are prepared to trample others underfoot in order to get to the front so as to get the best angle for photographing their little darling, ruining others' enjoyment. Maybe Mr Troublemaker Parent's school in the article might have been quite glad to ban photography if that's been an issue?

Prian
8th-December-2010, 04:01 PM

But it is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day, strange but true.