PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite dance tunes!

craigiebabie1
19th-March-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Guys!
Im a DJ for Ceroc, always looking to play good tunes.. It's good to hear from other dancers what your favourite dance tracks are. You know.. those songs that make you jump out your seat and grab your dance partner almost before the first word has been sung!

One of my classics has to be Aretha Franklin - Think !!

Whats yours??

:yeah:

Caro
19th-March-2006, 11:13 PM
There are two tunes that will literally make me run and grab one of my favourite dancers: 'fever' from Peggy Lee and 'my baby don't care for me' - any variation of it! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Some other tunes that I like along the same lines: 'sway with me', 'black magic woman' ... and many others!
:awe:

One song that I would really like to be able to choregraphy is 'el tango de roxanne' from the movie Moulin Rouge... a mixture of tango for the intensity and ceroc for 'playing' to it could really be brilliant... love watching Trampy and Lisa dancing to it :respect: :drool:

Bubbalou
19th-March-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey sweetie! One of mine is Think too....funny that!!!

I'm sure there is some Dj room here somewhere here that one of the gorgeous Dj's will direct you too

Yours

Bubs x

TheTramp
19th-March-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm sure there is some Dj room here somewhere here that one of the gorgeous Dj's will direct you too

It's down there. Oh. You said gorgeous. Sorry. I'm in the wrong room :sick:

Bubbalou
19th-March-2006, 11:40 PM
All that Jazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great for breaks but dissapointing when you dance with someone who dances right through them!!

Otherwise, it's gotta be Big Spender, Filthy Gorgeous, I see Girls, Bodyrockers!!!!! Old I know but wonderful all the same..................

Anything dancey....................

Lou xx

Bubbalou
19th-March-2006, 11:41 PM
It's down there. Oh. You said gorgeous. Sorry. I'm in the wrong room :sick:
You're killing me!!! lol lol lol lol

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Lou xx

ducasi
20th-March-2006, 12:30 AM
All that Jazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great for breaks but dissapointing when you dance with someone who dances right through them!!

Otherwise, it's gotta be Big Spender, Filthy Gorgeous, I see Girls, Bodyrockers!!!!! Old I know but wonderful all the same..................
All of those are really good – except "Hey Big Spender"... can't stand it, sorry. :(

Funny thing is as a song, I don't particularly like "All That Jazz", but it's so much fun to dance to. :D

Also like "Amado Mio", and lots of the Gotan Project tunes. :clap:

It's funny, but I really find it difficult to pick out bunch of songs and call them my favourites to dance to.

Bubbalou
20th-March-2006, 01:27 AM
Now you've got me going!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Sandstorm!!!!!!!!!...........................Anybo dy for a dance???

Lou xx

Lynn
20th-March-2006, 02:36 AM
One song that I would really like to be able to choregraphy is 'el tango de roxanne' from the movie Moulin Rouge... a mixture of tango for the intensity and ceroc for 'playing' to it could really be brilliant... I've never danced to this but its currently one of my most played tracks, and I'd love to dance to it - I'd like mostly tango with some 'play' (probably at the start of the track). I have 'danced' it in my head - not always a good idea when I'm driving as I can get a bit lost in the music...:rolleyes:

Would definitely like to dance it with a partner who could lead some tango. Especially as the music builds up in intensity...:drool:

Frankie_4711
20th-March-2006, 09:31 AM
I just love Van Morrison's Moondance, or Fever

Genie
20th-March-2006, 11:25 AM
Santana 'Smooth', MJ's 'Billie Jean' and 'The way you make me feel'. All of which are very sexy tracks, if you get the right dancer :) I am also very partial to Swing - Mack the Knife, Have You Met Miss Jones, and so on.

And if I get a dancer who is good at slow, close moves, I love 'Hungry Eyes' by Eric Carmen.

Donna
20th-March-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey Guys!
Im a DJ for Ceroc, always looking to play good tunes.. It's good to hear from other dancers what your favourite dance tracks are. You know.. those songs that make you jump out your seat and grab your dance partner almost before the first word has been sung!

One of my classics has to be Aretha Franklin - Think !!

Whats yours??

:yeah:

Well Craigiebabie 1, my favourite tunes at the moment still are..

1) Hi-Tack
Say Say Say (Waiting 4 U) :clap: :clap:

2) Madonna
Sorry :clap: :clap:

3) Meck Ft Leo Sayer
Thunder In My Heart Again :clap: :clap:

Whitebeard
20th-March-2006, 03:17 PM
I just love Van Morrison's Moondance, or Fever

Ah, Van the man, may be a difficult man, but one of his tracks was the highlight of a night's muggling for me on Saturday when a little band of Cerocers, desperate for a weekend fix, invaded the local municipal disco.

He may well have been overplayed in the past, but some of his tracks are surely 'classics' and deserve more than the one or two plays I've been aware of in more than two years of Cerocin'.

ben632664
20th-March-2006, 03:34 PM
Mine has to be 'wish I didnt miss you - Angie Stone'
Fab tune that always gets me on the floor, especially the dance remix!

Also, 'Rick Guard - Stop it I like it'.
Another really catchy number.:nice:

Paul F
20th-March-2006, 03:45 PM
Fab tune that always gets me on the floor, especially the dance remix!

Also, 'Rick Guard - Stop it I like it'.
Another really catchy number.:nice:

:yeah: Yep, Im with you on that.

The Angie Stone track is a classis IMO. I always enjoy dancing to that. Surprise, surprise I prefer the slower version but I really like it whatever speed. I find its one of those songs that can be danced to differently each time, depending on your mood!

The Rick Guard one is just, well, fun. :grin:

Lynn
20th-March-2006, 03:49 PM
My fav tracks change a lot and there are songs that I loved dancing to a year ago that I'm not fussed on now. Don't know if its over exposure or what.

Though I like it when I track I already like eg Sway, get a new feel - eg the Pussycat Dolls version, it refreshes it for me.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - its not easy to be a good DJ - to those fab ones whose music choices make me want to dance - :worthy: :respect: :hug:

Cruella
20th-March-2006, 04:12 PM

:
This is my favourite! It melts me everytime i hear it, i get very moody if it plays at a venue and i can't find someone to dance with. :(

ducasi
20th-March-2006, 06:18 PM
Ah, Van the man ... He may well have been overplayed in the past, but some of his tracks are surely 'classics' and deserve more than the one or two plays I've been aware of in more than two years of Cerocin'. That's a shame... I'm getting bored of dancing to Van Morrison... Especially Brown Eyed Girl...

Donna
20th-March-2006, 06:21 PM
Especially Brown Eyed Girl...

WHO SAID THAT??!!! :angry:

TheTramp
20th-March-2006, 06:23 PM

Me. Well, it was Duncan. But he was just echoing my thoughts! :cheers:

Tiggerbabe
20th-March-2006, 06:24 PM
That's a shame... I'm getting bored of dancing to Van Morrison... Especially Brown Eyed Girl...
Really? I can't remember the last time I heard that one, either :confused:

Caro
20th-March-2006, 06:40 PM
I just love Van Morrison's Moondance,

me too! love dancing to it :drool:

Up to last year I didn't know that guy (:blush: although I did hear his songs before) and when I realised he was the one singing 'moondance', I went straight to HMV and bought a full album from him, just to hear more of that stuff!

ducasi
20th-March-2006, 07:17 PM
Sorry, nothing personal. :flower:

Whitebeard
20th-March-2006, 07:27 PM
That's a shame... I'm getting bored of dancing to Van Morrison... Especially Brown Eyed Girl...

Oh, go on, rub it in ;-)

Up to last year I didn't know that guy ( although I did hear his songs before) and when I realised he was the one singing 'moondance', I went straight to HMV and bought a full album from him, just to hear more of that stuff!

Similarly for me. I'd heard the name but he'd made no impression on me before I started MJ'ing. Then I happened to hear 'Precious Time' on the kitchen radio and I was twirling away before I knew it. That's real music - it hits you first time.

steamroc
20th-March-2006, 09:30 PM
I agree with All that Jaz, but I have to admit I sometimes miss the breaks.......:wink:

Lynn
21st-March-2006, 12:09 AM
Up to last year I didn't know that guy (:blush: although I did hear his songs before) Yeah, I keep failing to recognise him as well...:blush: (he's sometimes in a coffee shop near my work.)

Whitebeard
21st-March-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I keep failing to recognise him as well...:blush: (he's sometimes in a coffee shop near my work.)

Coffee shop, huh ???

Baruch
21st-March-2006, 12:48 AM
Especially Brown Eyed Girl...
:yeah: Yeah, got to agree with you there. I've never really liked that song much anyway, though I've danced to it loads of times (mainly because, for some inexplicable reason, my wife absolutely loves it).

I do like Precious Time and Moondance, though they also tend to be a little overplayed at times.

Donna
21st-March-2006, 02:33 PM
I agree with All that Jaz, but I have to admit I sometimes miss the breaks.......:wink:

This is one reason I love this track so much - loads of breaks. You can just play around with it! Great fun! :clap:

What I find funny about it when it's being played is that Steve doesn't know the track so well, and so I'm the one that has to keep saying " here we go! another drop or something.....DAMN MISSED IT!" :rofl:

anniehb
21st-March-2006, 09:20 PM
Baby Likes to Rock It by The Tractors. Took me ages to find out what this song was and have only ever heard it at Ceroc but this is the one I cannot sit out for.

Whitebeard
21st-March-2006, 09:26 PM
Baby Likes to Rock It by The Tractors. Took me ages to find out what this song was and have only ever heard it at Ceroc but this is the one I cannot sit out for.

Hey, that's Country. Think I'm the only other one to have admitted being partial to a little of that ;-)

Genie
21st-March-2006, 10:39 PM
Recently, I've got a thing for Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, and in particular, The Way You Make Me Feel.

And I'm sick of Brown Eyed Girl. I have had that song thrown at me since early secondary school *rolls eyes*

Donna
22nd-March-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey, that's Country. Think I'm the only other one to have admitted being partial to a little of that ;-)

Hate to admit this, but I used to do a linedance to that! Can't stand the record anymore!

Your wife
22nd-March-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok, one that always makes me shoot off my chair and rugby tackle the nearest decent man into a dance is Played Alive (The bongo song) by Safriduo. Another equally bouncy and criminally underplayed tune is Push Up by The Freestylers.

As for old style dancey music Latin Lover by Lemon is always good fun. I like the way you Move and of corse Fire is great for rampant naughtyness - ditto anything by Touch and go.

I like the one were it sounds like shes singing "my big Mr Sheen" and saying how bella bell and vunderbar he is. Does anyone know who this is.

Sad to say Van the Man is getting a bit overplayed, and Save the Last dance, for godsake - if its not going to be the last song - DJ's please DONT INFLICT THIS ON ME ANYMORE!!!:angry:

By the way, anyone prepared to risk slipping a bit of indie guitar in? Jerk it Out by the Ceasers, Bohemium Like You by the Dandy Warhols, Get your Rocks off by Primal Scream, Boys and Girls by Blur? If it makes me dance when I'm in my kitchen why not on the dancefloor?

Rhythm King
22nd-March-2006, 06:39 PM
I like the one were it sounds like shes singing "my big Mr Sheen" and saying how bella bell and vunderbar he is. Does anyone know who this is.

"Bei Mir Bist Du Schön" - the version I'm most familiar with is by The Andrews Sisters.

Tessalicious
22nd-March-2006, 06:40 PM
I like the one were it sounds like shes singing "my big Mr Sheen" and saying how bella bell and vunderbar he is. Does anyone know who this is.Janis Siegel's Bei Mir Bist Du Schon - great song, but quite challenging with the really slow middle then really fast end - I love it!
Bohemium Like You by the Dandy WarholsI've been thinking about slipping this one in somewhere, but I don't think my lot are quite ready for it yet. Only for a group willing and able to try something a bit different I think.

clevedonboy
22nd-March-2006, 07:00 PM
"Bei Mir Bist Du Schön" - the version I'm most familiar with is by The Andrews Sisters.
What about Benny Goodman from the 1938 Carnegie hall concert (gets way to weird for MJ towards the end when BG goes all Klezmer but it's just knockout.

Alternatively try Lee Presson & The Nails version spelled "Bai Mir Bist Du Schön" has more of a 50s latin feel - too fast for MJ though

My contribution for a Jiveable track would be "The way she shakes that thang" by Earl Thomas. Lots of fun & a winner for WCS & Lindy (at a pinch) as well

Frankie_4711
22nd-March-2006, 08:17 PM

Yup - I like that one too!!

Bohemium Like You by the Dandy Warhols

Heard this at Rochester last week for the first time (well, not first time I heard it, just first time at a Ceroc venue!!) - nice surprise - love the song and great to dance to too!!!

And Nat King Cole's wonderful Let There Be Love goes down well with me, as does The Maddest Kind Of Love (can't remember who that's by at the moment) and (don't know what it's called but I'm presuming from the lyrics ...) At The Strip

Daisy Chain
22nd-March-2006, 08:26 PM

Nope, there are 2 of us. Another one guarenteed to get you bopping round your kitchen is the Texas Tornadoes singing Is Anybody Going to San Antone?

Daisy

(A West Country Flower)

Whitebeard
23rd-March-2006, 12:36 AM
Nope, there are 2 of us. Another one guarenteed to get you bopping round your kitchen is the Texas Tornadoes singing Is Anybody Going to San Antone?

Daisy

(A West Country Flower)

Ah, nice to have some congenial company to accompany me round the kitchen floor. A nice happy sound that one, and well remembered.

ChrisU
23rd-March-2006, 11:34 AM
don't know what it's called but I'm presuming from the lyrics ...) At The Strip

At The Strip by Michael Andrew and Swingerhead is the most played version. (watch the beginning its got a talky bit on some versions)

Played it myself at Shelf on Tuesday Night

DJ Chris Uren

ChrisU
23rd-March-2006, 11:45 AM
This is my favourite! It melts me everytime i hear it, i get very moody if it plays at a venue and i can't find someone to dance with. :(

Check out other Angie Stone stuff particularly remixes.

Life Story (Booker T Mix)
Wish I Didn't miss you (Hex Hector Mix)

Soul with dance attitude. Yeah Yeah Yeah:nice:

DJ Chris Uren:wink:

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok, one that always makes me shoot off my chair and rugby tackle the nearest decent man into a dance is Played Alive (The bongo song) by Safriduo.

This one is definately one of my favourites! It sure gets me shooting off my chair!

As for old style dancey music Latin Lover by Lemon is always good fun.

Love this track too! It reminds me of when we did Strictly Dance Fever last year as that is the track we choreographed a dance to... and got through!
Whenever it comes onat freestyle, we always end up doing it. Ahem, the dance that is! :grin:

I like the way you Move and of corse Fire is great for rampant naughtyness - ditto anything by Touch and go.

Again I agree with you! This one is very often played last up here! Great tune and a good way to finish off the night. :drool:

I
like the one were it sounds like shes singing "my big Mr Sheen" and saying how bella bell and vunderbar he is. Does anyone know who this is.

Eh? :confused: :rofl:

Save the Last dance, for godsake - if its not going to be the last song - DJ's please DONT INFLICT THIS ON ME ANYMORE!!!:angry:

:yeah: :angry:

Another one I like is Autumn Leaves...but don't know who the artist is. Anybody know? (its a dance track.)

clevedonboy
23rd-March-2006, 12:10 PM
The Maddest Kind Of Love (can't remember who that's by at the moment)
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Cruel Spell &whos that creepin are great as well)

As you obviously like a bit of swing try Bill Elliott - Streamliner

Damien
23rd-March-2006, 01:44 PM
How about Bobby Darin's 'Beyond the Sea'. It has great rhythm, some breaks and is incredibly smooth.

Whitebeard
23rd-March-2006, 03:14 PM
How about Bobby Darin's 'Beyond the Sea'. It has great rhythm, some breaks and is incredibly smooth.

Wow! A thread throwing up some decent music for a change.

Another one I like is Autumn Leaves...but don't know who the artist is. Anybody know? (its a dance track.)

Remember that from way back - perhaps Mantovani and his Orchestra - and good for a nice smooch or three. Nat King Cole's version may be the best known.

Your wife
23rd-March-2006, 04:56 PM
Janis Siegel's Bei Mir Bist Du Schon - great song, but quite challenging with the really slow middle then really fast end - I love it!I've been thinking about slipping this one in somewhere, but I don't think my lot are quite ready for it yet. Only for a group willing and able to try something a bit different I think.

As my German pronounciation is rubbish can I carry on singing "My Big Mr Sheen" anyway?

Also, think you should risk it for a biscuit with the Dandy Warhols, just wait till the grumpy ones leave the room. I've had some great nights where the DJ has played some experimental songs, only thing is half the crowd then moan that the music was bad. But when you dance up to 5 nights a week variety should be the spice of life.:wink:

just tell me when u plan to play it and at what event and I'll be there joining in with the "wo-ho-hoos":respect:

Donna
23rd-March-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow! A thread throwing up some decent music for a change.

Remember that from way back - perhaps Mantovani and his Orchestra - and good for a nice smooch or three. Nat King Cole's version may be the best known.

No it's not!! Oh my gosh! It's been doing my head in trying to think what it's called and it's one of my favourite tunes still at the moment. Just text my dance teacher and the answer is....

ANTOINE!!!!!!:clap: Ever heard of it? It's called Autumn Leaves...check it out!!:clap: You'll love it. A feel good track and gets you dancing your socks off! :clap:

clevedonboy
23rd-March-2006, 05:34 PM
If it is Autumn Leaves then I think Donna may be referring to Coldcut's cover

Edit obviously not that one .....

Frankie_4711
23rd-March-2006, 06:46 PM
At The Strip by Michael Andrew and Swingerhead is the most played version. (watch the beginning its got a talky bit on some versions)
DJ Chris Uren
Thanks for that!

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Cruel Spell ...{snip})
Liked it

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (...{snip}whos that creepin)
Not so keen

As you obviously like a bit of swing try Bill Elliott - Streamliner
Liked it

Thanks for the tips!! Looks like I might have to go and spend a bit of money soon!!

Whitebeard
24th-March-2006, 12:57 AM
I guess this is too old; too quiet; and too subtle, for most:

Could you put your Light on, Please: Harry Chapin, 1972

Dazzle
24th-March-2006, 01:23 AM

Autumn Leaves - Manuel - 104 bpm - a nice Rumba! :flower:

drathzel
24th-March-2006, 02:44 AM
The bongo song

comsi comsa - In grid

Sway- Pussy Cat Dolls

Love dont let me go - David Gueta

This is my dj - Hard In Tango

Walk Away- James Hunter

Tilt your head back - Christina Aguilera

um, lets me get out my ipod, charge it and i'll get back to you, i have about 10 at the minute that no matter where i am at the time i hear the song, i just have to dance

*NB the above can cause embaressment to those not prepared for D's dancing bursts!

Donna
24th-March-2006, 12:51 PM
Autumn Leaves - Manuel - 104 bpm - a nice Rumba! :flower:

Never heard this one but will check it out! Luurrve da Rumba...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Your wife
31st-March-2006, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know who does the following songs?

Stormy weather (uptempo version)
Safaronia Bee (girls singing "I surrender I surrender" in the chorus
Sing Halelluja!
The one with the mad ragga bloke on it and man who sounds like Tom Jones singing "Hey" to a jazzed up version of the end credits theme of that comedy program from the nineties starring Rik Mayal and Ade Edmondson which I cant remember the name of.;)

DavidY
31st-March-2006, 01:08 PM
By the way, anyone prepared to risk ~SNIP~ Bohemian Like You by the Dandy WarholsA while back this was being played so much at venues I go to that it was almost overplayed.

Nick M
31st-March-2006, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know who does the following songs?

Stormy weather (uptempo version)
Safaronia Bee (girls singing "I surrender I surrender" in the chorus

Royal Crown Revue, and Colin James

ducasi
31st-March-2006, 01:23 PM
Sing Halelluja! Dr Alban – Sing Hallelujah! (http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/D/Dr.-Alban/Sing-Hallelujah.html) maybe?

Nick M
31st-March-2006, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Daisy Chain]Texas Tornadoes singing Is Anybody Going to San AntoneQUOTE]

Hey! Good tune!

On a country theme, how about "I feel lucky (Mary Chapin Carpenter)", "Eat at Joes" (Suzy Boggus), "White Lightning" (George Jones), "Here for the party" (Gretchen Wilson).

"I feel lucky", in particular, could be a fine MJ track if it wasn't so gosh-darned Country

clevedonboy
31st-March-2006, 02:12 PM
The version of Safronia B that your wife is referring to is probably by The Manhattan Transfer (Girls singing). That said IMHO Colin James' version swings so much better that the MH version shouldn't get played

Whitebeard
31st-March-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey! Good tune!

On a country theme, how about "I feel lucky (Mary Chapin Carpenter)", "Eat at Joes" (Suzy Boggus), "White Lightning" (George Jones), "Here for the party" (Gretchen Wilson).

"I feel lucky", in particular, could be a fine MJ track if it wasn't so gosh-darned Country

Beginning to feel a little less lonely ;-)

The version of Safronia B that your wife is referring to is probably by The Manhattan Transfer (Girls singing). That said IMHO Colin James' version swings so much better that the MH version shouldn't get played.

Having listened to both, I agree with you. More like this please.

clevedonboy
31st-March-2006, 02:37 PM
I've told you before WB - there are places that play these tunes, I do, Gary Boon does (you won't be out of place there lerocing if you take a partner - many of them dance a weird hybrid Lindy/Jive style rather than Lindy) - or maybe you should join us by turning to the other side and learn Lindy!

Tessalicious
31st-March-2006, 02:58 PM
Here's one just for you Whitebeard, a new discovery of mine - KT Oslin's Live Close. Played it last week in the Intermediate class and this week in freestyle and it's great to dance to.

Whitebeard
31st-March-2006, 03:46 PM
I've told you before WB - there are places that play these tunes, I do, Gary Boon does (you won't be out of place there lerocing if you take a partner - many of them dance a weird hybrid Lindy/Jive style rather than Lindy) - or maybe you should join us by turning to the other side and learn Lindy!

Although I'm not prepared to travel any distance and don't have a partner I did go here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216609&postcount=68) a couple of weeks ago and will repeat the experience. Bridget was looking very regal that night.