PDA

View Full Version : Computer Recycling

Dizzy
14th-March-2006, 05:25 PM
I have managed to get my hands on a more up-to-date computer :clap: but don't know what I can do with the old computer that I have. I know that some people can put it all to good use as a server etc. and I don't want to throw it down the tip.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with a Windows 98 computer, old screen, keyboard?? :confused:

under par
14th-March-2006, 05:36 PM
I have managed to get my hands on a more up-to-date computer :clap: but don't know what I can do with the old computer that I have. I know that some people can put it all to good use as a server etc. and I don't want to throw it down the tip.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with a Windows 98 computer, old screen, keyboard?? :confused:

Its a bit early to mention Guy Fawkes evening ..........................

LMC
14th-March-2006, 05:38 PM
Best to take it to someone who will "clean" the hard disk properly before it gets used again by a school or a charity. www.digital-links.org is a fab organisation (NB - I have no other "interest" in them) which collects PCs from offices and cleans and recycles them for developing countries. I don't know if they will collect from home users, but they should be able to put you in touch with someone who will if they can't help :nice:

David Franklin
14th-March-2006, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with a Windows 98 computer, old screen, keyboard?? :confused:Realistically, the 2nd hand value is going to be very low, and if you've stored anything private on it, I wouldn't be happy giving it out to J Random Stranger without using some form of disk erasure tool.

Conversely, if someone you know needs a basic computer, then what you have is perfectly adequate and you don't need to sanitize the disk.

So my advice in the first instance would be to ask around your mates and see if they want it.

philsmove
14th-March-2006, 05:55 PM
Go to local council web site and look under recycling

This is the Bristol page (http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/content/Environment-Planning/Rubbish-waste-and-recycling/a-z-of-recycling.en?page=9#internalSection9)

El Salsero Gringo
14th-March-2006, 06:53 PM
Best to take it to someone who will "clean" the hard disk properly before it gets used again by a school or a charity. www.digital-links.org (http://www.digital-links.org) is a fab organisation (NB - I have no other "interest" in them) which collects PCs from offices and cleans and recycles them for developing countries. I don't know if they will collect from home users, but they should be able to put you in touch with someone who will if they can't help :nice:Looking at the Digital Links website:
The minimum specification of equipment that can usefully be reused is:
25+ items (Monitors or Base units)...If you only have a single machine then try contacting your local council for recycling opportunities in your local area.
:sad: Pity!

Stuart
14th-March-2006, 08:35 PM
Try http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/index.aspx. This contains a list of a number of organisations who recycle old computers.

Minnie M
14th-March-2006, 09:00 PM
Donate it to a young relative :clap:
My two grandsons love my old computer to play games on :flower:

anniehb
14th-March-2006, 10:03 PM
You could post it on freecycle - there is a local site for most places and the London one is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreecycleLondon/

The aim is to give away anything that might otherwise end up in landfill. I've just moved and successfully got rid of loads of stuff this way. You post your item up and people email you if they want it. Highly recommended!

Annie

Missy D
22nd-March-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow! wonder if they give any to us poor students. I would return it once i was in full time employment too. I am sat here in a very noisey internet cafe and have a very inconsiderate man next to me on him damn mobile phone. Reckon he would be quieter using to cups and a piece of string to speak to his friend:mad:

bigdjiver
22nd-March-2006, 10:51 AM
Our local British Heart Foundation Charity shop sells refurbished computers. I believe that they use Remploy, (also a charity?), to refurbish them.