PDA

View Full Version : Does Bristol Dance....?

Freya
14th-March-2006, 01:53 AM
Hi thought this might be the easiest thing to do rather than trawl the world wide web. (Is that lazy?):blush:

Anyway to the Point!!! (Errm do I have one? :confused: )

I'm gonna be in Bristol for a few days towards the end of April visiting a friend who recently has expressed an interest in learning to dance!!! :wink: But like most of us is a bit nervy about going on her own the first time! :eek:

Was ondering if anyone knew of any Classes or events going on and if they are actually any good? (Sorry if i offend anybody its not intentional! :flower: )

Hope someone can help (I Might suffer from extream withdrawl symptoms if I don't get at least a weekly fix :eek: )

Freya xXx

:flower: :grin: :flower:

(Have I posted this in the right bit? If not I'm Sorry!!! Please no-one shout at me)

WittyBird
14th-March-2006, 02:01 AM
PM Philsmove he lives around that area and tends to be very helpful when it comes to venues etc :clap:

Freya
14th-March-2006, 02:05 AM
Ta Wittybird. :cheers:

Freya xXx

Whitebeard
14th-March-2006, 02:07 AM
Oh yes, Bristol dances to be sure. But, although Ceroc may be circling around the perimeters, it's various varieties of Leroc that hold sway in that fair port. Pretty much the same sort of Modern Jive, although 'signals' seem to be the flavour in some quarters. It appears that there's plenty of choice, and there are some fantastic dancers, so quality is there to be sampled and enjoyed. I'm sure those more intimately involved will point in the directions right.

Freya
14th-March-2006, 02:15 AM
Le-roc eh?

My first ever experience of this kinda dance was Le-roc! IF I remember it was all about emphasising the signals!

Think I enjoy ceroc more everyone's so friendly and helpful! :wink:

Ta for the info!

Freya xXx

spindr
14th-March-2006, 02:23 AM
Bristol does indeed dance -- for example, see http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Modern_Jive-links.html and zoom in.

Or you could ask on the Bristol forum http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/forum or just have a look at the site http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk.

Cheers,
SpinDr (Bristolian by birth :))

Lou
14th-March-2006, 08:08 AM
PM Philsmove he lives around that area and tends to be very helpful when it comes to venues etc :clap:
Whereas the rest of we Bristolians are completely evil & totally unhelpful... :devil: :whistle:

Think I enjoy ceroc more everyone's so friendly and helpful!
:rolleyes: You've never been to Ceroc™ Cheltenh.... Oh, shut up Lou! :wink:

There's a choice of venues every night in Bristol.

Mondays - John Eastman (eastmanjohn on the forum) teaches at The Folk House on Park Street, and Sherif teaches at St Bon's. (On the last Monday of the month it's Simon & ElaineB from the forum teaching). Both of the classes are lovely & you'll have a fine time.

Tuesday - You've got a choice of Elmgrove in the city, and either BAWA and Yate on the outskirts. I'd recommend BAWA, although their beginners class is more of an improvers class these days. If you want to venture a little bit southwards, there's Portishead. Lovely people. Give Maurice the teacher a hug from me. (If you really can't bear to try LeRoc, there is now a Ceroc™ class in the neighbouring city of Bath). Lots of people go to Jongleurs in town for a dance instead.

Wednesday - You have Elmgrove again. The least said about that, the better. You also have Kingswood, but I'm not sure how busy it is these days. Bath has a Ginger Jive class.

Thursday - Nailsea. They're a lovely friendly bunch of people. But I'm not really that impressed by the quality of teaching. Lots of thumbs & badly executed drops. And this weird way of counting. Still - lots of folks like it. There's also a Ceroc™ class in Thornbury. If you're lucky DJ John Baker will have brought along his nice records. :wink: Oooh... and there's a class at the University, but I've never ever been, so I can't tell you what it's like.

There's normally at least one freestyle on locally on either Friday or Saturday - or if you're lucky, both. Although I don't think there's anything this weekend.

Anyway - these are only my subjective opinions, formed from many years of dancing in this fair city. They are definitely biased! :D

ElaineB
14th-March-2006, 08:24 AM
Whereas the rest of we Bristolians are completely evil & totally unhelpful... :devil: :whistle:

:rolleyes: You've never been to Ceroc™ Cheltenh.... Oh, shut up Lou! :wink:

There's a choice of venues every night in Bristol.

Mondays - John Eastman (eastmanjohn on the forum) teaches at The Folk House on Park Street, and Sherif teaches at St Bon's. (On the last Monday of the month it's Simon & ElaineB from the forum teaching). Both of the classes are lovely & you'll have a fine time.

Tuesday - You've got a choice of Elmgrove in the city, and either BAWA and Yate on the outskirts. I'd recommend BAWA, although their beginners class is more of an improvers class these days. If you want to venture a little bit southwards, there's Portishead. Lovely people. Give Maurice the teacher a hug from me. (If you really can't bear to try LeRoc, there is now a Ceroc™ class in the neighbouring city of Bath). Lots of people go to Jongleurs in town for a dance instead.

Wednesday - You have Elmgrove again. The least said about that, the better. You also have Kingswood, but I'm not sure how busy it is these days. Bath has a Ginger Jive class.

Thursday - Nailsea. They're a lovely friendly bunch of people. But I'm not really that impressed by the quality of teaching. Lots of thumbs & badly executed drops. And this weird way of counting. Still - lots of folks like it. There's also a Ceroc™ class in Thornbury. If you're lucky DJ John Baker will have brought along his nice records. :wink: Oooh... and there's a class at the University, but I've never ever been, so I can't tell you what it's like.

There's normally at least one freestyle on locally on either Friday or Saturday - or if you're lucky, both. Although I don't think there's anything this weekend.

Anyway - these are only my subjective opinions, formed from many years of dancing in this fair city. They are definitely biased! :D

Oh yes, Le Roc'ers are renowned...........any strangers that enter a class in Bristol beware. The music stops, (even though the DJ is nowhere to be seen :eek: ) the locals all go silent, their trigger hands twitch and tumbleweed appears from nowhere and in a ghostly fashion, moves across the floor.......:D Sorry, couldn't resist!

Anyway, the only other comment to add is that Elmgrove no longer hold a class on a Tuesday night and Kingswood is still quiet.

If you can let us know the exact dates, we'll look out for you.

Elaine

philsmove
14th-March-2006, 08:57 AM
Oh yes, Bristol dances to be sure. But, although Ceroc may be circling around the perimeters, it's various varieties of Leroc that hold sway in that fair port. .

don’t worry the main different between leroc and ceroc is the way they are spelt

there is also a very informal get together on Tuesday evening at Jonglers

if you are into TANGO a visit to Eduardo on Thursday is a must

another highlightis Friday 28th at BAWA

clevedonboy
14th-March-2006, 10:04 AM
We also have a small but beatifully formed Lindy Hop community in Bristol & Bath which is becoming quite hip with a number of youngters (i.e. < 25 year olds) www.hoppinmad.co.uk

There's also thriving Salsa & Ballroom scenes - plenty to do

marty_baby
14th-March-2006, 11:03 AM
We also have a small but beatifully formed Lindy Hop community in Bristol & Bath which is becoming quite hip with a number of youngters (i.e. < 25 year olds) www.hoppinmad.co.uk

There's also thriving Salsa & Ballroom scenes - plenty to do

Lindy hop?

That sounds a laugh! I might give that a go :na:

Freya
14th-March-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow :respect:

Thanx guys for all your replies! Who thought there would be so many folk from bristol on! And so lovely and friendly! :hug:

Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)

There seems to be a great choice of classes to keep me happy! :clap:

Freya xXx

Rachel
14th-March-2006, 02:10 PM
...Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)...Amazing coincidence - that's the same weekend as JiveAddiction's Big Bang at Weston Super Mare, which is only a tiny hop away from Bristol:
http://jiveaddiction.com/mambo/content/view/52/54/

Should be an amazing event (& we'll be there!). Could be a bit scary for your friend, however, if she's not yet been to a class.

Rachel x

eastmanjohn
14th-March-2006, 02:23 PM
Wow :respect:

Thanx guys for all your replies! Who thought there would be so many folk from bristol on! And so lovely and friendly! :hug:

Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)

There seems to be a great choice of classes to keep me happy! :clap:

Freya xXx

Check out www.cliftonleroc.co.uk (http://www.cliftonleroc.co.uk) to listen to the going's on in Bristol. The local radio station have been following the progress of a new couple in our beginners class. They're loving it.

Lou
14th-March-2006, 02:36 PM
Should be an amazing event (& we'll be there!). Could be a bit scary for your friend, however, if she's not yet been to a class.

Ahhh... but you remind me that by a lucky quirk of fate, I will actually be teaching a beginners workshop with Sherif that afternoon at St Bon's!

I hear you guys will be down to St Bon's on the 25 March - and I gather Marc's DJing? :drool:

Rachel
14th-March-2006, 02:44 PM
Ahhh... but you remind me that by a lucky quirk of fate, I will actually be teaching a beginners workshop with Sherif that afternoon at St Bon's! Even more amazing! Don't things work out so beautifully sometimes...

I hear you guys will be down to St Bon's on the 25 March - and I gather Marc's DJing? :drool: Yes, that's true. Will you be around? Would love to see you again! We're also down in June doing workshops for Sherif. My parents have never had so many visits - that will be twice in one year!

R. x

Donna
14th-March-2006, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rachel]Amazing coincidence - that's the same weekend as JiveAddiction's Big Bang at Weston Super Mare, which is only a tiny hop away from Bristol:

This is one I'm hoping to go to!!!:clap:

Martin
14th-March-2006, 04:24 PM
Well all I can say is that "Sherif teaches at St Bon's"

Nuff said.

Biased, yes, but known him for Soooooooooo many years :respect:

Top dancer who in the early years travelled extensively to London to improve and soak up the love. :awe:

If I went to Bristol I would seek out Sherif.

Martin

Donna
14th-March-2006, 04:25 PM
If I went to Bristol I would seek out Sherif.

And his sexy body rolls!!! :drool:

Freya
29th-March-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey Guys.

Just thought I would say I'll definately be down in bristol from Wed 19th april - sun 23rd! I won't make the weekend stuff but hoping to make a class since i'll miss my regular haunts this week <Wed & Thurs>

Think thursday will prob be the best night - so wheres best!!!

XXX

Lou
29th-March-2006, 10:25 AM
Think thursday will prob be the best night - so wheres best!!!

Do you have transportation? If so, probably best to make your way Northwards to Ceroc™ at Thornbury?

Freya
29th-March-2006, 10:42 AM
Erm Nope don't think so! Train or Bus I can easily get! ?Might be able to convice someone to give me a lift!

marty_baby
29th-March-2006, 10:50 AM
Hiya Freya,

Try the "other place" web site.... :D

http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/Classes_Index.htm

Wed would be best if you have the energy to go out the same day you travel down.

Elmgrove - close to town
Kingswood - EaineB and Simon teach there on occasions - can't be bad! :na:

I know of 2 classes that Thur night, but both are a bit out of town though:
Nailsea
http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/Classes_Thu_NailseaLeRoc.htm

And Ceroc's Thornbury class.
http://www.ceroclspa.co.uk/VENUES1.htm

Cheers
Martin

ElaineB
29th-March-2006, 12:12 PM
Hiya Freya,

Try the "other place" web site.... :D

http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/Classes_Index.htm

Wed would be best if you have the energy to go out the same day you travel down.

Elmgrove - close to town
Kingswood - EaineB and Simon teach there on occasions - can't be bad! :na:

I know of 2 classes that Thur night, but both are a bit out of town though:
Nailsea
http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/Classes_Thu_NailseaLeRoc.htm

And Ceroc's Thornbury class.
http://www.ceroclspa.co.uk/VENUES1.htm

Cheers
Martin

Good advice chaps!

Simon and I are only teaching on a Monday night at present, at Le Roc 2000, but are open to offers :wink: :D

I haven't been to Thornbury, but from comments on the Bristol forum, it appears to be your best bet for the Thursday night.

Friday night sees an event at the Electricity Club in Cardiff and on Saturday, there is the Big Bang in Weston-super-Mare or St Bonaventures in Bristol. The Big Bang is the really big event, with Amir, Viktor, Nigel and Nina etc (please note, names in no particular order!!!!).

As Marty suggested, check out the Bristol web site........hope to see you somewhere,

Elaine

frodo
29th-March-2006, 10:45 PM
Erm Nope don't think so! Train or Bus I can easily get! ?Might be able to convice someone to give me a lift!Without a lift I think Thornbury is probably the least accessible, the bus takes quite a while - and the last time I checked the last bus left before 10.00 pm.

Depending on where you're staying Nailsea is nearer, faster to get to, has later buses and if you miss that the railway station is about a mile away - last train back is just before midnight.

There is also a more distant suburb :) of Bristol (called Chippenham) with a thursday Ceroc™ class, (http://www.ceroclive.com) which again depending on where you're staying could be the fastest/easiest to get to, with more frequent and later trains.

philsmove
29th-March-2006, 10:55 PM
Or if you fancy something different - dare I mention TANGO

Thursday night with Eduardo Bozzo

Andy McGregor
29th-March-2006, 10:57 PM
If I went to Bristol I would seek out Sherif.And Jenni. She's much prettier than Sherif and a fabulous dancer :worthy:

Donna
30th-March-2006, 11:01 AM
And Jenni. She's much prettier than Sherif and a fabulous dancer :worthy:

Awww! Sherif does sexy body rolls! :drool:

marty_baby
30th-March-2006, 12:08 PM
Jenni is a fab dancer!... a great teacher, and an all round nice helpful lady... cute as well! :na:

She taught Sharon how to body roll etc, and helped us with alot of styling points for WOW moves etc....

One of the unsung heroes of dancing in Bristol!

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 01:06 PM
Awww! Sherif does sexy body rolls! :drool:I still don't think anyone is going to say that Sherif is pretty.

Donna
30th-March-2006, 01:07 PM
Jenni is a fab dancer!... a great teacher, and an all round nice helpful lady... cute as well! :na:

She taught Sharon how to body roll etc, and helped us with alot of styling points for WOW moves etc....

One of the unsung heroes of dancing in Bristol!

I totally agree! Jenni is a superb dancer (it's all the ballroom you see!:na: ) and I wouldn't mind a few styling tips off her actually! Is Jenni on the forum?

marty_baby
30th-March-2006, 01:46 PM
I totally agree! Jenni is a superb dancer (it's all the ballroom you see!:na: ) and I wouldn't mind a few styling tips off her actually! Is Jenni on the forum?

Dunno actually! I can ask her next Tue if you like :na:

remind me tho :nice:

Donna
30th-March-2006, 01:52 PM
Dunno actually! I can ask her next Tue if you like :na:

remind me tho :nice:

Ok! Thanks. Hope you're ok? :hug:

Lou
30th-March-2006, 02:24 PM
Dunno actually!

Yeah, she is, actually. She's Harry (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=176). :flower:

Donna
30th-March-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, she is, actually. She's Harry (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=176). :flower:

Ah I get it...harrison. She hasn't posted anything since Oct 2004

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm going to be in Bristol the week of the 10th and have read the responses of the locals with interest. The Le Roc vs Ceroc argument has certainly come up before but I'll remain open minded. Which dance club shows the true Bristol? That I cannot answer, but I hope to see the Bristols of both Lou and ElaineB when i visit. Ill let you know how they compare.

clevedonboy
30th-March-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope to see the Bristols of both Lou and ElaineB when i visit. Ill let you know how they compare.

I can't believe that you wrote that without the use of smilies!

Interesting week 10 to 16 April

Mon to weds normal classes as will be outlined on http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk Thursday there's a Lindy dance put on by hoppin mad www.hoppinmad.co.uk Friday people will have to twiddle their thumbs or head off to Taunton or Yeovil. Saturday there's a dance in Filton run by Clifton Leroc & Easter Sunday has a WCS workshop run by leroc2000

Whitebeard
30th-March-2006, 09:27 PM
Friday people will have to twiddle their thumbs or head off to Taunton or Yeovil.

Or Gloucester's Hall of Walls.

Lou
31st-March-2006, 07:35 AM
Or Gloucester's Hall of Walls.
If I'm not mistaken, the Hall of Walls clashes with the Filton dance on the Saturday. I'd check, but I can't get onto UK-Jive at the mo.

(Note how I refuse to rise to the Smutty Smurf's comments..... :na: )

Lou
31st-March-2006, 07:37 AM
Ah I get it...harrison. She hasn't posted anything since Oct 2004

Ah, but she does still pop in to peek from time to time. :nice:

Whitebeard
31st-March-2006, 09:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Hall of Walls clashes with the Filton dance on the Saturday. I'd check, but I can't get onSaturdayto UK-Jive at the mo.

You're right Lou it's Saturday 15th. How did I get that wrong? Oh, I know, it's age-related.

Lou
12th-April-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm going to be in Bristol the week of the 10th
So, Smurf-face - have you decided where you're dancing, yet? :flower: Haven't seen you around (but that's more likely due to the fact that I haven't been dancing in Bristol yet this week.... :na: )

Dreadful Scathe
18th-April-2006, 09:35 AM
So, Smurf-face - have you decided where you're dancing, yet? :flower: Haven't seen you around (but that's more likely due to the fact that I haven't been dancing in Bristol yet this week.... :na: )

Alas I was only available Monday and Tuesday night and intended going to see the wonderful Phil and Yuko - a bout of the flu put paid to that. I got better in time for my sisters wedding on Saturday, which was nice. Next time. Oh yes. There will be a next time. Muhahaha.

Freya
18th-April-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi There!

I hope everyone is well! just to say thanx for all the info on where to dance in Bristol but unfortunately I won't be able to make any!!! :( No dancing for me this week!

Would have been lovely to meet you all!

Freya xXx

ElaineB
18th-April-2006, 07:13 PM
It's OK, we know how hard it is to break the invisible bubble that surrounds Bristol........it's hard enough for us to get out of here! :D

Glad you are feeling better DS and Freya - another time maybe?

Elaine