PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Thread

johnthehappyguy
13th-March-2006, 12:07 PM
Up to just before Christmas , I had managed to lose a lot of weight, unfortunately I have put a lot of it back on.:(

Currently I weigh 13 stone 10 lbs, ( not all of it is muscle unfortunately :whistle: ).

I have been down as low as 12 stones 2lbs in November.:what:

I am hoping that by posting my weight here it will be an added incentive for me to control it more.

Please feel free to join me on this thread as I am sure that there are others who would like to lose a bit of weight too.

Any other form of support is welcome ( within reason !)

Johnthehappyguy:nice:

CJ
13th-March-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't do numbers, just shapes... (my most recent shape being barrel!!)

I have lost quite a bit recently, but that is more stress induced than any healthy way. However, I do intend to "firm up" a little...

Anyone care to help firm me up??:yum:

John, do you want to lose or maintain??

If there were enough people interested, would you want to do a sponsored diet? Hell, I might even join in!! I could think of a really deserving cause (http://www.pbcfoundation.org.uk)!!:whistle:

KatieR
13th-March-2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone care to help firm me up??:yum: :

Well, CJ, you were firm enough last time I checked! :D

TiggsTours
13th-March-2006, 12:59 PM
First of all, congratulations on your achievment, losing weight is really hard work! :respect:

I have now, to date, lost 1stone 11.5lb since April, and now weigh less than I did 12 years ago! It feels fantastic! :clap:

My top tips:

DON'T DIET!!!! Diet's are boring, they are restrictive, and they are something you will not want to live with all your life, so as soon as you stop dieting, the weight will go back on again. Instead, you need to change your lifestyle, change the way you eat, and they way you cook, and your attitude to excercise.
Don't beat yourself up when you don't lose weight, or put it back on. Winter is especially tough, you need more substantial food to get you through it, and its harder to find the incentive to get out and get active. So you need to find a healthy living regime that ensures you are never hungry, and that you enjoy getting out and doing stuff.
Instead of focussing on what you're missing out on, focus on what you've gained, that fabulous feeling of being happier when you look in the mirror, the fact you feel healthire, and people tell you you look good. Every now and then, look in a full length mirror, naked :what: , and remind yourself how much better you look!
Don't forget to congratulate yourself, to feel good about yourself, and to wallow in your own glory! Treat yourself every now to mark an achievement, buy yourself a new shirt, or a CD, rather than that bar of chocolate!
Always keep note of which hole you do your belt up on, and remember which one you started on!
Think about how much you enjoy it when you're dancing, as opposed to the fact that its cold and dark outside, and you have to shower, change and drive there, and there's a good film on the telly.
Don't look at the TV mag, until you're ready to go out, then check to see if there's anything you fancy videoing, rather than watching (you'll find there's alot less that looks appealing at that point).
Enjoy it when people tell you how good you're looking, and do more to enhance that feeling. A total change in image is great, enjoy wearing those clothes you would never have worn before.

A change in lifestyle you can keep, as it will just become the new you, a diet you will get to the end of, and go back to your old ways, you will then of course put all the weight back on, seeing as that's how it got there in the first place! Nobody can live by weighing everything they eat, counting every calorie, depriving themselves of things they love, so don't! Find new things that you love that are healthy! I eat tons of fruit now, so I don't get hungry, that way, when I want chocolate, I'll eat it for pleasure, not to fill my grumbly tummy, and so I eat less of it, and I love fruit! :drool:

Use fry light to cook instead of cooking oil, grill instead of fry, use creme fraische or fromage frais instead of cream, skimmed milk instead of semi, or even worse full-fat, low-fat cheese instead of full-fat, diet coke instead of coke, water instead of juice (contrary to popular opinion, too much juice and smoothies are not healthy!), sweetener instead of sugar. The possible changes that mean you're not missing out are endless! That way, you can enjoy that slice of cake on a colleagues birthday, without any stupid feelings of guilt.

The best thing I ever heard, which got me to where I am, was "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels", always focus on how fabulous you feel, rather than how much effort it seems to be, and eventually, it won't feel like that much of an effort anymore.

Congratulations on your achievment, and good luck for the next one! :clap:

TiggsTours
13th-March-2006, 01:04 PM
If there were enough people interested, would you want to do a sponsored diet? Hell, I might even join in!! I could think of a really deserving cause (http://www.pbcfoundation.org.uk)!!:whistle:
Although this is a great idea, always remember, the most deserving cause in a new healthy you, is YOU!!!

Rhythm King
13th-March-2006, 02:25 PM
The year before last I lost 4 1/2 stone. Unfortunately the stresses and strains of last year have led to me putting 2 stone back on :sad: I've managed to shift about 4-5lbs since I've been at home for the last week or so. I need motivating though (in all things :blush: )

Keep up the good work

R-K

Tazmanian Devil
13th-March-2006, 03:17 PM

I would be happy to help :whistle:

I have lost 2 stone since October, not really been on a diet just watching what I eat (maybe if I stop watching it and eat it instead I might stop losing)
:rolleyes:

johnthehappyguy
14th-March-2006, 01:18 AM
....John, do you want to lose or maintain??...

I want to lose the lard as a top priority.

My legs are well toned from dancing, and I wish the rest of my body was likewise.

If all of my bulk was well toned muscle I would be quite happy to maintain my current weight.

John:nice:

Tazmanian Devil
14th-March-2006, 01:23 AM
If all of my bulk was well toned muscle I would be quite happy to maintain my current weight.

Hey if you are not careful you are absolutely going to send this thread upstairs :what:

johnthehappyguy
14th-March-2006, 01:26 AM
.....I have now, to date, lost 1stone 11.5lb since April, and now weigh less than I did 12 years ago! It feels fantastic! :clap:...

:

Well done !

The best thing I ever heard, which got me to where I am, was "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels".....

That phrase really appeals.

There was loads of good stuff in your list of top tips.

Thanks very much TT,

WittyBird
14th-March-2006, 01:30 AM
Absolutely I have about a stone to lose by the weekend. Any suggestions? :D

Heather
14th-March-2006, 09:05 AM
I will be going into hospital later this year for an operation and was told by the surgeon to lose 10 pounds, otherwise he would not be prepared to operate!
I don't have a set of scales in the house and have never weighed myself for almost 25 years. Other people have weighed me eg midwife/doctor when I was expecting my daughter Wendy. I said that I did not want to know my weight and was not told.
I was not about to rush out and buy bathroom scales after all this time so I decided to join Weightwatchers and be weighed once a week.
Since joining on the 6th January this year I have lost 15.5 pounds and if I lose another half pound before next weigh in day ( Saturday) I become a Gold member ( not having to pay anymore) .
I don't consider myself to be 'on a diet' as I am just cutting out all the crap I used to eat ie crisps, sweets, icecream, chocolate, ready meals etc which are all loaded with chemicals and fat.Although I could, in theory still have some of these things if I wanted as long as I 'counted them in' to my daily number of points allowed.
For the first time in my life I am cooking everything from scratch :sick: , I am not exactly a fan of cookery, but I do feel much more healthy as a result.
I do have the occassional treat, but the amazing thing is - I never really feel hungry!
I'm hoping to lose another half stone before I return to see the hospital consultant.
I tried on my wedding dress the other day( out of curiosity) and it almost fits! Not many people can say that after 20 years!!!:rofl:
Weightwatchers has helped me, as you have the support of other members.
If you can't or dont like the thought of going along to meetings there is an on-line service that you can join through their website
www.weightwatchers.co.uk
Good luck with your weight loss everyone!!!

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
xx

johnthehappyguy
20th-March-2006, 12:02 PM
Monday morning weigh in, and....

Last week was my Birthday, and I ate a lot of cake, and an Easter Egg came my way too.:blush:

However I have lost 1 1/2 pounds, and am now down to

13stones 8 1/2lbs,:nice:

Aleks
20th-March-2006, 12:22 PM
At the last count (a couple of weeks ago) I had lost 17 pounds since the beginning of the year. I can now fit in clothes I had 3 years ago :clap: .
My flexibility and my general fitness are both much improved. Dancing is so much easier now that there is less of me to haul around too!

Caro
20th-March-2006, 06:53 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
me too. interested in any tips you got WB!

WittyBird
20th-March-2006, 08:14 PM
me too. interested in any tips you got WB!

Don't stand up in a canoe :D

No Seriously I managed half a stone.

100 sit ups a night

breakfast - Muller lite yogurt
Lunch - Muller lite yogurt and banana
Dinner - 2 kiwi fruit, Melon, handful of grapes and 2 slices of wholemeal toast (no butter)

Oh and multi vits :clap:

Tazmanian Devil
20th-March-2006, 08:35 PM
Don't stand up in a canoe :D

100 sit ups a night

Dinner - 2 kiwi fruit, Melon, handful of grapes and 2 slices of wholemeal toast (no butter)

Oi young lady :mad: I do hope this has not been your diet recently!!! You need more than that :sad:

Caro
20th-March-2006, 08:40 PM

Well done! :clap: :flower:

hum...:confused: Is that sustainable & isn't the danger of putting everything back on (and may be more?) as soon as you stop? I'm thinking that a true change in lifestyle is required for long-term loss weight... get rid of all those habits which made you put on wieght in the first place... easier to say than do and obviously I'm not there yet... :sad:

one day may be... :rolleyes:

Dizzy
20th-March-2006, 08:41 PM
Oi young lady :mad: I do hope this has not been your diet recently!!! You need more than that :sad:

:what: :what:

:yeah:

*Puts glasses on*

Now young lady.............this is not the way to diet. :flower:

WittyBird
21st-March-2006, 12:06 AM
hum...:confused: Is that sustainable & isn't the danger of putting everything back on (and may be more?) as soon as you stop? I'm thinking that a true change in lifestyle is required for long-term loss weight... get rid of all those habits which made you put on wieght in the first place... easier to say than do and obviously I'm not there yet... :sad:

one day may be... :rolleyes:

Currently at 7 1/2 stone so quite happy about it :rofl:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-March-2006, 12:13 AM
I started a new gym and i'm trying to go four times a week, going to Ceroc also helps, but i've not got any time to go i'm too busy :sad:

Minnie M
21st-March-2006, 08:42 AM
1 year + Eight months on -unfortunatley I did stop and put weight back on, but started again in June last year at by joining "Slimmers World" and now have lost 2.5 stones and still going (only another 2 stone to go now :clap: :clap: ) - check out how others have been getting on since then and there are lots of good tips there too :flower:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3385&highlight=Minnie

Lucy Locket
21st-March-2006, 09:47 AM

There'll be nothing left of you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missy D
21st-March-2006, 10:21 AM
A healthy diet! Cut down or cut out alcohol - and regular exercise to tone up.

Drastic diets are crazy! ok you will lose weight fast but if you do there will be plenty of hanging skin (mmmmmmmmmm nice).:sick:

stewart38
21st-March-2006, 10:39 AM
Up to just before Christmas , I had managed to lose a lot of weight, unfortunately I have put a lot of it back on.:(

Currently I weigh 13 stone 10 lbs, ( not all of it is muscle unfortunately :whistle: ).

I have been down as low as 12 stones 2lbs in November.:what:

I am hoping that by posting my weight here it will be an added incentive for me to control it more.

Please feel free to join me on this thread as I am sure that there are others who would like to lose a bit of weight too.

Any other form of support is welcome ( within reason !)

Johnthehappyguy:nice:

I lost a stone before christmas ,relatively easiliy. Felt and noticed the difference

Had a christmas 'blip' which has run into late March

I think ive put about 7lbs back on since christmas (but only a 1lb between mid jan and now ??)

Point is my 'lifestyle' change has gone out of the window

Have decided to eat properly again

Genie
21st-March-2006, 11:02 AM
Exercise. I can't recommend it enough. Diets are ok if you do the ones that don't ask you to 'stop' eating. My Mum did a Rosmary Connelly diet - where she could eat anything if it has a fat content of less that 5% per 100g. She lost weight steadilly, over time, and the best thing is, she kept it off, because it was gradual, and she did some exercise weekly.

Consider doing those more enthusiastic Ceroc songs as well. I've noticed how many people sit those out. And don't try and lead tjhe fast stuff from a stand-still. Move. Lots.

And cut down/out on beer and most other alcohols. Vitamin supplements are meant to be just that - supplements, not a replacement for healthy eating.

I also heard that eating three (or in my case two) square meals a day, without snacking, helps. Because your digestive system learns to recognise the times of day you tend to eat more, and then kicks into gear at those times...

The only other thing that will help you, I'm afraid, is sheer willpower. You have to really want to loose weight - and if you want it to stay off, it won't happen over night.

(I'll sit out the diet thing. I'm a little too skinny as it is. I'd actually like to put on some weight :s )

Angel
21st-March-2006, 08:29 PM

I agree with you on this one. Wittybird while you are pregnant you should never diet :rolleyes: I saw the picture of you and your other half on the Masked Ball thread surely you cant have much longer to carry? you will soon get your figure back when he or she is born :hug:

WittyBird
21st-March-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree with you on this one. Wittybird while you are pregnant you should never diet :rolleyes: I saw the picture of you and your other half on the Masked Ball thread surely you cant have much longer to carry? you will soon get your figure back when he or she is born :hug:

OMG - I'm not pregnant that photo was taken at a really bad angle :rofl:
That also wasnt my other half :eek:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry:worthy: but thanks for pointing out that I really do need to diet

Here is a photo of me at my normal size:(

Angel
21st-March-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm so sorry but this picture does look like you are pregnant :blush:
please please please except my appologies. :flower:

WittyBird
21st-March-2006, 09:18 PM

yeah it does !!! but I am not thankfully :D its just a bad angle and also that is the gorgeous Rachels partner not mine, however they are both very very good friends of mine:flower:

Missy D
22nd-March-2006, 10:10 AM
I have to opposite problem with weight. I am too thin! No matter what i eat i still look like a stick. So any ideas on how to put on weight and i dont mean with heart attack food either.

johnthehappyguy
22nd-March-2006, 12:04 PM
I lost a stone before christmas ,relatively easiliy. Felt and noticed the difference......

.....I think ive put about 7lbs back on since christmas.......

Hi Stewart,

If it was relatively easy before, are you up for getting your lifestyle better again ?

How happy are you with things the way they are now ?

Angel
22nd-March-2006, 01:50 PM
I have to opposite problem with weight. I am too thin! No matter what i eat i still look like a stick. So any ideas on how to put on weight and i dont mean with heart attack food either.

I have the same problem Chloe. I can eat anyting i like and i never put on weight, i would like to put on a bit more my mother thinks i'm lucky as she would love to be as thin as me.

thewacko
22nd-March-2006, 05:40 PM
Taz and I are attempting to stop smoking, so we both got on the scales _ i must be the only person who can go out and buy bathroom scales that don't tell you how much you weigh! it tells you in kilos, but not in english, it tells you in pounds so you then need a calculator to work out how many stones! -

I weigh 14 stone, and Taz weighed less.

After my shopping trip on saturday I am expecting my weight to go up drastically:confused:

stewart38
22nd-March-2006, 05:41 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ps i aint the father :mad: :mad: :mad:

All joking aside that camera angle is cruel WB does not need to loose weight

Donna
22nd-March-2006, 05:52 PM

You're not alone Chloe! I can eat as much as I want and not put on any weight! I used to lose a little bit as well if I hadn't eat properly for a couple of days... now I don't, because I now have an under active thyroid. But because of my height and working out and dancing a lot too, I don't put on any weight still! Could possibly be because my Metabolism was so rapid before, that this condition wouldn't really have a bad effect on me after all!

stewart38
22nd-March-2006, 05:58 PM

How about wear a really heavy coat ??

Good point though for some people being under weight is just as much of a issue (and I don’t mean people who deliberately set out to be that way)

I could eat for England up to about 16 and was always thin ,unfortunately I guess my metabolism changed

stewart38
22nd-March-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Stewart,

If it was relatively easy before, are you up for getting your lifestyle better again ?

How happy are you with things the way they are now ?

Im not 'happy' as i have a 'bump' :sad:

If life style changes were easy ,they would be easy:sick:

I have a new 'friend' that will kick me into shape :yeah:

Tazmanian Devil
22nd-March-2006, 06:43 PM
Taz and I are attempting to stop smoking, so we both got on the scales _ i must be the only person who can go out and buy bathroom scales that don't tell you how much you weigh! it tells you in kilos, but not in english, it tells you in pounds so you then need a calculator to work out how many stones! -

I weigh 14 stone, and Taz weighed less.

After my shopping trip on saturday I am expecting my weight to go up drastically:confused:

Seeing as I wont be able to go anywhere tonight we should do weighing number 2 :clap:

ps i aint the father
:rofl: :rofl: :whistle:

dee
22nd-March-2006, 08:02 PM

Me me let it be me :devil:

WittyBird
22nd-March-2006, 08:26 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ps i aint the father :mad: :mad: :mad:

You aint the daddy either :D

Well thank you kind sir :flower:

johnthehappyguy
23rd-March-2006, 05:40 PM
.....I have a new 'friend' that will kick me into shape....

Well done - friends like that are hard to find.:whistle:

John:eek:

WittyBird
23rd-March-2006, 08:07 PM
Just got on the scales Ive put on a pound :mad:
Must be the baby :eek:

WittyBird
24th-March-2006, 02:07 AM
Well done - friends like that are hard to find.:whistle:

John:eek:
From what I've heard tho JOhn THG.............
your very skinny? why u dieting?:flower:

Heather
24th-March-2006, 08:57 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

Living up to your name!!!!!:clap:

Heather

dee
24th-March-2006, 05:36 PM

I have lost 5 pounds :clap: not that i was intending to lose any, must be the extra exercise of part owning a horse :clap:

stewart38
24th-March-2006, 05:45 PM
Ive eaten 7 cakes today,no lie , my bosses birthday

:tears:

johnthehappyguy
24th-March-2006, 08:38 PM
From what I've heard tho JOhn THG.............
your very skinny? why u dieting?:flower:

:rofl:

(of wittybird ) Living up to your name!!!!!:clap:

:yeah: :yeah:

Where did you hear that WB !

Never in my adult life have I been "very skinny", or even slim.:sad:

I have always had well toned legs though, even more so since I started dancing.

As one bloke said last night, my arms are ok, it is just the bit in between!

I am happy enough with my chest too.

I am dieting because my belly is too big, !

thewacko
24th-March-2006, 11:42 PM

I have lost 5 pounds :clap: not that i was intending to lose any, must be the extra exercise of part owning a horse :clap:

HEY i HAVE JUST LOST 7 STONE

must be the exercise of only putting one foot on the scales:whistle: :whistle:

Missy D
25th-March-2006, 12:00 AM
HEY i HAVE JUST LOST 7 STONE

must be the exercise of only putting one foot on the scales:whistle: :whistle:

Or maybe you weighed yourself without the slippers on!

thewacko
25th-March-2006, 12:12 AM
Or maybe you weighed yourself without the slippers on!
Just been to the Offy next door and they laughed at me - till I pointed out that the slippers actually belonged to me and not Tazmanian Devil - Who frequents the place much more than me - maybe cos of the people running the show - Hey can Offlicense vendors who have never even heard of "Ceroc Scotland foum still vote on the admiration thingummy whatsit - fancy the pants off her :eek:

Tazmanian Devil
27th-March-2006, 02:56 PM
Just been to the Offy next door and they laughed at me - till I pointed out that the slippers actually belonged to me and not Tazmanian Devil - Who frequents the place much more than me -
:what: :eek: *cough Splutter* What?!!!!!

maybe cos of the people running the show - Hey can Offlicense vendors who have never even heard of "Ceroc Scotland foum still vote on the admiration thingummy whatsit - fancy the pants off her :eek:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*speechless*

This never happens

*speachless*

BTW they do know about the forum cause I told them all about it :non existant poke tounge out smilie: :flower:

ducasi
27th-March-2006, 05:50 PM
:non existant poke tounge out smilie:
There's two, unless you actually did mean "tounge" and not "tongue". :na: :yum:

:flower:

Tazmanian Devil
27th-March-2006, 06:46 PM
There's two, unless you actually did mean "tounge" and not "tongue". :na: :yum:

Not in the right context though :rolleyes:

Whatever :rofl:

ducasi
27th-March-2006, 06:49 PM
Not in the right context though :rolleyes:

Whatever :rofl:
:non-existant whatever smiley:

Tazmanian Devil
27th-March-2006, 07:17 PM
:non-existant whatever smiley:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thewacko
27th-March-2006, 07:31 PM
:na: existent tongue out smiley
:rolleyes: non existant tongue out smiley
:drool: offlicence man tongue out whenever taz calls round smiley
:sick: wacko non exixtant tongue out when Taz gets hold of him smiley

Tazmanian Devil
27th-March-2006, 10:56 PM
:na: existent tongue out smiley
You call that a tongue :confused: :whistle:

:drool: offlicence man tongue out whenever taz calls round smiley

dee
27th-March-2006, 11:06 PM
:sick: wacko non exixtant tongue out when Taz gets hold of him smiley

What does 'exixtant' mean? i looked it up in the dictionary but no joy :confused:

Tazmanian Devil
27th-March-2006, 11:08 PM
What does 'exixtant' mean? i looked it up in the dictionary but no joy :confused:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think it's supposed to be existant :rofl: :rofl:

WittyBird
27th-March-2006, 11:09 PM

Try using an Adults dictionary :rolleyes:
Just out of curiousity do you still have the 'blondes dictionary of things' ?

dee
27th-March-2006, 11:21 PM
Try using an Adults dictionary :rolleyes:
Just out of curiousity do you still have the 'blondes dictionary of things' ?

Your not nice :tears:

WittyBird
27th-March-2006, 11:26 PM
Your not nice :tears:

You still Love me tho :awe:

johnthehappyguy
28th-March-2006, 03:40 PM
Ive eaten 7 cakes today,no lie , my bosses birthday

:tears:

I partook in a cakefest as well on Friday,:blush:

Weekly weigh in is:- 13 stone 7 lb so another 1 1/2 lbs lost ( or used ) depending on how you look at it.

Thanks to M at Marco's for the kind comments about my physique.

John :nice:

dee
28th-March-2006, 03:44 PM
You still Love me tho :awe:

Always :innocent:

thewacko
28th-March-2006, 08:27 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think it's supposed to be existant :rofl: :rofl:
ark at little miss Taz )I spell evryfink perfectly( maniacal Devil

Tazmanian Devil
29th-March-2006, 01:24 AM
ark at little miss Taz )I spell evryfink perfectly( maniacal Devil

OI I was actually defending you well in my own way I was :respect:

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 01:00 AM
Problems..............

How do you know the scales are correct?
I got on some in boots earlier , they stated 7.2
I got on some at home without the boots they stated 7.6
I got on some at a friends, they stated 7.1

Have I put on weight or have I lost it????
Do I go around looking for different scales hoping they might all state the same? Or do I just give up and become a fat minger living on junk food :eek:

I hate dieting :mad:

Aleks
31st-March-2006, 09:29 AM

I doubt it really matters what actual weight you are, just that the needle or the digital readout indicates something lighter than the previous time you stepped on the scales (assuming a person is trying to lose weight, as the thread title suggests).

Tazmanian Devil
31st-March-2006, 11:42 AM
Problems..............

You are supposed to use the same scales each time when you are dieting as no 2 set weigh out the same!!

At 7.2,6,1 me no thinks you need to diet anyway :flower:

Donna
31st-March-2006, 11:46 AM
You are supposed to use the same scales each time when you are dieting as no 2 set weigh out the same!!

At 7.2,6,1 me no thinks you need to diet anyway :flower:

:yeah: AND...you should only weigh yourself first thing in the morning as your weight changes throughout the day due to eating, so it will never give the correct reading.

dee
31st-March-2006, 01:26 PM
Problems..............

Do I go around looking for different scales hoping they might all state the same? Or do I just give up and become a fat minger living on junk food :eek:

Simple solution Bec, just stay as you are :devil: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*dee calls a taxi*

johnthehappyguy
31st-March-2006, 01:45 PM
Problems..............

This posting should perhaps end up in geeks corner!

(I used to be an engineer )

All scales suffer from problems with accuracy and precision.

(Accuracy and precision are actually two different concepts )

If for example we have a 10 stone weight , which we weigh repeatedly.

Putting it simply, a scale with poor accuracy will not give an exact measurement for the weight, in this example it always shows 9 ½ stone.

A scale with poor precision will sometimes show 9 ¾ stone sometimes 10 and sometimes 10 ¼ stones.

All scales have the two problems to a greater or lesser degree, which is why there is such a variance in your recorded weight.

This might make things a bit clearer (look at the picture of the targets) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

On a less geeky note, I have an excellent set of scales which are very precise, and weigh myself daily now I am trying to lose weight again.

There can be as much as 3lbs variance for me as my weight changes over the course of 24 hours. I believe that womens weight can fluctuate even more with water retention etc. So don't be too hard on yourself, it is the trend that is important.

Missy D
31st-March-2006, 05:23 PM
:yeah: AND...you should only weigh yourself first thing in the morning as your weight changes throughout the day due to eating, so it will never give the correct reading.

Is the before or after a poo:whistle:

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 06:29 PM
On a less geeky note, I have an excellent set of scales which are very precise, and weigh myself daily now I am trying to lose weight again.

Ok smartie pants........

What make are they?
Where did you buy them?
Can I come over for a weigh in :D :D

I need to get these scales :flower:

SECRETSPY
31st-March-2006, 06:36 PM
Is the before or after a poo:whistle:
I see despite your New year resolutions the three month point just got too much and you are now lowering the tone

Not very good is it mmmmmmmmmmm

I am watching you:confused:

janey
31st-March-2006, 07:47 PM
I've being going to weight watchers since Christmas and Im only 4 pounds off my goal weight. The problem is I've hit the 'wall' and can't seem to lose anymore. :tears: Any suggestions on how to re-motivate myself??

I've just signed up to do the Race for Life in Inverness hoping that it will act as an incentive to do more exercise as well as raise money - unfortunately it hasn't stoped raining or snowing up here ever since and I'm definately a fair weather jogger!!! :whistle:

ducasi
31st-March-2006, 09:28 PM
What make are they?
Where did you buy them? Obviously I can't answer for John, but when I decided to lose weight a couple of years ago, I bought a Tanita weighing machine from Amazon (or was in Boots?), that also do a BMI measure.

It's a bit like this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AL3EB/qid=1143836762/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_10_5/203-0524218-1286331), but you should look at the whole Tanita range to find something that suits you.

I weighed myself every morning and although my weight varied up and down from day to day, from week to week I noticed a difference.

thewacko
31st-March-2006, 11:20 PM
And Dont buy scales from Nettos

The're the ones that dont tell you how much you weigh:confused: :confused: :confused:

David Franklin
31st-March-2006, 11:38 PM
Obviously I can't answer for John, but when I decided to lose weight a couple of years ago, I bought a Tanita weighing machine from Amazon (or was in Boots?), that also do a BMI measure.I thought Tanita also used impedance to estimate BF - BMI is simply a calculation based on weight and height, and so can't distinguish between fat and muscle.

I have to say I'm very unconvinced by the Tanita scales when they have to have a special "athlete" mode to avoid getting the BF measurement completely wrong for people with a decent amount of muscle mass. On the other hand, I've heard positive reports about the Omron Body Fat Monitor.

Your other advice is spot on, however. Measure and record every day, but don't read too much into the day-to-day readings; it's what happens week-by-week that matters.

ducasi
1st-April-2006, 12:19 AM
I thought Tanita also used impedance to estimate BF - BMI is simply a calculation based on weight and height, and so can't distinguish between fat and muscle.

I have to say I'm very unconvinced by the Tanita scales when they have to have a special "athlete" mode to avoid getting the BF measurement completely wrong for people with a decent amount of muscle mass. On the other hand, I've heard positive reports about the Omron Body Fat Monitor. Well, IIRC, BMI is normally estimated using a "calculation based on weight and height", but that is only a rough estimate and the only accurate way to calculate it is using a flotation tank, etc...

However, using body impedance a more accurate estimate can be calculated. But, as you say, it's not particularly good at coping with muscle vs. fat... Though by telling the machine your "body type", it can compensate to some extent.

So, while there are flaws in its system, it will probably calculate a more accurate figure for the actual percentage of fat in your body compared with the simple formula used involving just weight and height.

At any rate, whether the number is totally wrong or not, it it's going up, you know it's bad, and if it's going down, you know it's good.

I watched the reported BMI for me go from around about 25 down to around about 18. That felt good.

johnthehappyguy
3rd-April-2006, 08:20 AM
Ok smartie pants........

What make are they?
Where did you buy them?
Can I come over for a weigh in :D :D

I need to get these scales :flower:

They are made by a firm called John White established in 1715, who are still trading in Auchtermuchty, in the Kingdom of Fife ( now part of Scotland:waycool: )

They are the type that are about a metre high, and there are weights that you slide into position, until the readout bar moves into the right place. ( i.e. balanced ).

They are heavy, and it is a bit of a bind moving them around.

They would probably cost a few hundred pounds. I got them from a school I used to work in, they were being chucked out because there was a broken bit of plastic on them. Being a tekky teacher - (Design , Engineering & Technology as it is called in England ) I soon fixed that, and I am really pleased with them now.

You can come over for a weigh-in anytime !

johnthehappyguy
3rd-April-2006, 08:28 AM
Weekly weigh in is:- 13 stone 5 1/2 lbs so another 1 1/2 lbs lost again this week.

I have been doing a bit on my rowing machine, and so hopefrully some of the flab is turning to muscle too.:D

David Franklin
3rd-April-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, IIRC, BMI is normally estimated using a "calculation based on weight and height", but that is only a rough estimate and the only accurate way to calculate it is using a flotation tank, etc...Sorry, but this is incorrect.

BMI, or body mass index, is a "mathematical construct", calculated as {weight in kg} / {height in meters}^2. It therefore doesn't need to be estimated.

The theory is that BMI can be used as a rough indicator of whether you are over or under weight, or an even less accurate measure of body fat. It's advantage is that it is easy to calculate; it's disadvantage is that it doesn't work that well, particularly for people who are outliers either in terms of muscle mass, or even just by height. (The BMI formula isn't scale invariant, so very short people tend to come out as underweight and tall people as obese. Many professional basketball players measure out as obese, for example).

As far as health goes, there's increasing evidence that your waist size may give a better indication of fat-related health risks than your BMI does; and waist size is even easier for most people to work out than their BMI. :clap:

As far as measuring body fat %; the only really accurate method is autopsy and centrifuge - a bit drastic! All the other methods don't provide direct measurements; they measure other things that are correlated with body fat %. It gets very difficult when you're measuring the ultra-lean (bodybuilders and the like) - many methods are effectively calculating "what isn't body fat", and subtracting it off. So if you have a 200lb man with 8lbs of fat, you only need a 5% error to calculate his lean mass as 202lbs and come out with a -ve body fat calculation! This is by no means unheard of. (And I've certainly heard of such cases with floatation measurements).

However, using body impedance a more accurate estimate can be calculated. But, as you say, it's not particularly good at coping with muscle vs. fat... Though by telling the machine your "body type", it can compensate to some extent.A lot of people dislike the impedance machines because although they may be more accurate in theory, in practice they are easily affected by things like hydration levels, which makes it harder to compare day-to-day readings.

I watched the reported BMI for me go from around about 25 down to around about 18. That felt good.My BMI is a little over 25 - has been that way for about 5 years. But I can still fit into trousers with a 30" waist. My doctor doesn't think I need to lose weight. :D

ducasi
3rd-April-2006, 09:21 AM
Sorry, but this is incorrect.OK, I'm being lose with my terminology...

My argument is that these scales' "BMI" figure tries to improve on the standard BMI calculation which is an attempt to estimate body fat percentage, but can be affected by body type.

The figure calculated by these scales tries to be more accurate estimation of body fat percentage, because they can take into account body type, plus can measure body impedance, which assuming all other things stay the same, has a high correlation to body fat percentage.

Things like hydration levels will affect your weight and thus your calculated BMI figure, which just as much makes it hard to compare day-to-day readings.

Basically, these scales' "BMI" figure as an estimate of body fat percentage, is no worse than the standard BMI, and usually better.

I agree that waist size is a very useful measure and when compared against chest and hips measures, can give a much easier determination of what is healthy.

David Franklin
3rd-April-2006, 09:48 AM
OK, I'm being lose with my terminology...Not to be the spelling Nazi, but I think this is the first incorrect use of "lose" instead of "loose" I've seen on the forum! (The other way round, of course, is ubiquitous).

Things like hydration levels will affect your weight and thus your calculated BMI figure, which just as much makes it hard to compare day-to-day readings.As far as I'm aware, the issue is that hydration affects the measured impedance - which causes much bigger swings than just the daily fluctuations in weight.

Basically, these scales' "BMI" figure as an estimate of body fat percentage, is no worse than the standard BMI, and usually better.Well, yes and no. It's a great idea in theory, but if you're tracking day-to-day results, a system that produces repeatable measurements is often superior to one that produces results that have untrackable fluctuations. A heck of a lot of athletes still seem to prefer callipers on this basis (main drawback of callipers is you really need someone else to do skin-fold measurements on the more difficult to reach areas).

Perhaps a more serious problem is people putting too much faith in the results. Anyone who's pays attention knows that BMI is just an indicator - we're all familiar with people claiming to be "big boned" etc... But people get measured at, say, 6.7% BF by impedance and take it as gospel truth. (And in the most recent cases where someone's claimed sub 7% BF by impedance testing I'd have estimated them at closer to twice that, visually. 7% is very lean).

ducasi
3rd-April-2006, 01:10 PM
Not to be the spelling Nazi, but I think this is the first incorrect use of "lose" instead of "loose" I've seen on the forum! (The other way round, of course, is ubiquitous). Oops! Too early in the morning, and correcting a mistake I didn't make! I despair over the "loose" spelling of this word (no pun intended), but have occasionally found myself doing it recently.

Anyway, I think we are in agreement to say that how you look and how you feel matters more than what you weigh, yeah? :)

David Franklin
3rd-April-2006, 01:27 PM
Oops! Too early in the morning, and correcting a mistake I didn't make! I despair over the "loose" spelling of this word (no pun intended), but have occasionally found myself doing it recently.
My keyboard needs replacing, causing me to make an exceptional number of typos at the moment. (I picked up a temp replacement @ Tesco's for a fiver, and discovered I really really hate the new "contour" they are putting on keyboards for you to rest your palms on. Absolutely could not use it! :()

Anyway, I think we are in agreement to say that how you look and how you feel matters more than what you weigh, yeah? :)Yes. I think the main advantage of measuring is for getting a "day-to-day" measure of what's happening. But however you measure, a certain amount of scepticism about what the measurement really means is always a good idea.

janey
3rd-April-2006, 09:02 PM
Instead of weighing & calculating you can always try the tried & tested weight loss measure:

'Do my skinny jeans do up this week???' :D

thewacko
3rd-April-2006, 11:40 PM
two weeks since the stop smoking day

and am still the same weight:clap: :clap:

but the non smoking hasn't gone too well:sick:

WittyBird
3rd-April-2006, 11:44 PM
Instead of weighing & calculating you can always try the tried & tested weight loss measure:

Doesn't work for me at the moment.

*memo to self - go shopping for new clothes*

Aleks
7th-April-2006, 12:03 PM

Skinny jeans now too big....current total loss is 22 pounds.
Woohoo - I can have a pig-out!

johnthehappyguy
11th-April-2006, 12:32 PM
Skinny jeans now too big....current total loss is 22 pounds.
Woohoo - I can have a pig-out!

Well done Aleks.:worthy:

Also really well done to Mama Heather ~ A great achievement !:nice:

Last week I was staying for a few days at my mum's - which is a bit like living in a cake shop.:yum:

So I am not surprised that I have not lost weight - I am still the same as last week 13stone 5 1/2lbs.

I have been using a rowing machine quite a bit,and it seems to be working.:cool:

The down side is that some of my favourite waistcoats are getting too tight across the chest.:eek:

stewart38
11th-April-2006, 03:56 PM
So I am not surprised that I have not lost weight - I am still the same as last week 13stone 5 1/2lbs.

I would have to not eat or drink for 2/3 weeks to get down to that weight :sad:

Freya
11th-April-2006, 04:44 PM
A tip for everyone trying to loose weight!!!

Have major jaw surgery and get put on a "Soft Diet" then get the orthodontist to put elastic bands on your teeth so tight that you can't actually open your mouth! It is soooooo Much hassle to eat that your portions have halved and you've got so fed up of the food that you eat less often than normally!!!!

Bit drastic but hey!!!!!!

Sorry Rant over!!!! Getting a bit fed up!!! But It's worked gone from a 12-14, 10-12 in a week!!!!

Freya xXx

thewacko
16th-April-2006, 09:11 AM
A tip for everyone trying to loose weight!!!

Have major jaw surgery and get put on a "Soft Diet" then get the orthodontist to put elastic bands on your teeth so tight that you can't actually open your mouth! It is soooooo Much hassle to eat that your portions have halved and you've got so fed up of the food that you eat less often than normally!!!!

Bit drastic but hey!!!!!!

Sorry Rant over!!!! Getting a bit fed up!!! But It's worked gone from a 12-14, 10-12 in a week!!!!

Freya xXx

FreyaFreyaFreyaFREYA

:eek: OMG I think Freya has just faded to nothingness and so cant post anymore:whistle:

Ah well Look on the bright side a larger selection of 12-14 clothes at a certain scottish charity shop:rofl:

WittyBird
16th-April-2006, 12:33 PM
Got on the scales at the gym this morning. After they said 'One at a time please' It read 8 Stone :mad:

thewacko
16th-April-2006, 02:24 PM
Got on the scales at the gym this morning. After they said 'One at a time please' It read 8 Stone :mad:
and when you put the other foot on??????:whistle:

Baruch
16th-April-2006, 05:20 PM
Got on the scales at the gym this morning. After they said 'One at a time please' It read 8 Stone :mad:Only a few months ago I was more than twice your weight! I'm about 15 stone 6 at the mo, but losing it gradually.

Same old problem -- I put on loads of weight after getting married, so now I'm trying to get rid of it all again.

thewacko
16th-April-2006, 06:21 PM
Same old problem -- I put on loads of weight after getting married, so now I'm trying to get rid of it all again.
:confused: the weight or the married bit:confused:

Missy D
16th-April-2006, 07:07 PM

8 Stone:eek: I weigh 9!

If you look on the scales at the gym it should say rough weight for your height and frame. I should weigh approx 9st 8lb.. Since going to the gym more regularly i have gained over half a stone. So dont go by what the scales say go by how you feel and how toned you are! I am told that muscle weighs more than fat anyway so i hope my increase in weight is toning of muscles etc

Baruch
16th-April-2006, 08:07 PM
:confused: the weight or the married bit:confused:
Definitely the weight. Married life is good :waycool:

WittyBird
16th-April-2006, 08:29 PM
and when you put the other foot on??????:whistle:

It said get off Phil you fat git :flower:

thewacko
16th-April-2006, 09:05 PM
Definitely the weight. Married life is good :waycool:
I was going to say, having seen the pics of you and the misses on the picture thread:cheers:

Baruch
16th-April-2006, 10:20 PM
I was going to say, having seen the pics of you and the misses on the picture thread:cheers:Yeah - I'm a very lucky man, and I know it! :cheers:

johnthehappyguy
17th-April-2006, 07:56 AM
weekly weigh -in

Last week was 13stone 5 1/2lbs

this week 13 stone 1 1/2 lbs.

So 4 lbs lost ( or used ) :nice:

Exercise ( gardening) and going up and down ladders seems to be working. Eating less rubbish probably has a lot to do with it as well.

John :nice:

Baruch
17th-April-2006, 10:57 AM
Well done :clap:

Me, I put a pound on. Must be all the Easter chocs. Oh well, must work harder this week.

Pink Lady
17th-April-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi John
Taking a leaf out of your book - I'm publically announcing that I HAVE to lose some weight! Galvanized into action by the fact that when I put my dress on for the Beath Ballroon on Saturday I was shocked and horrified to discover that it had become a "wee bit nippit"! (Hope not too many people noticed!) So - I don't know what I weigh - nor do I really want to know - I'll know that I'm losing inches by my clothes becoming looser. So starting today I'm being good. Watch this space.
Where were you on Saturday then?

johnthehappyguy
24th-April-2006, 10:58 AM
weekly weigh-in

Last week,

13stones 1 1/2 lbs

This week

12stone 9 1/2 lbs

so 6 lbs lost :clap:

Lots of exercise - DIY, and two (biggish) meals a day and a small lunch.

Have decided to see if I can get down to 11 stones 4lbs - so only 19 1/2lbs to go.

Aleks
24th-April-2006, 11:23 AM
weekly weigh-in

6 lbs in a week is a lot! Go steady there....

My weight is much the same - still around 20 lbs lost and finding it really easy to maintain :clap::clap::clap: .

angelique
24th-April-2006, 02:45 PM
:respect:
To everybody who is trying to lose weight, give up smoking and lose weight etc etc cos it isn't the easiest of things to do!

I have battled with my weight for years and I do agree that it is about changing lifestyle, ways of thinking, approach to food etc as opposed to any drastic starvation thing! :what:

So, I've began to acknowledge and accept that I'm made to have curves...why can't everybody else?? :rofl: :rofl:

Choccie anyone? :devil:

TheTramp
24th-April-2006, 02:51 PM
Was exactly 19 stone 2 weeks ago :blush:

Decided to seriously do something about it. Today, was 18 stone 3lbs. So down 11lbs. Just another 73lbs to go then! :sick:

stewart38
24th-April-2006, 03:42 PM

weekly weigh-in

Last week,

13stones 1 1/2 lbs

This week

12stone 9 1/2 lbs

so 6 lbs lost :clap:

Lots of exercise - DIY, and two (biggish) meals a day and a small lunch.

Have decided to see if I can get down to 11 stones 4lbs - so only 19 1/2lbs to go.

Was exactly 19 stone 2 weeks ago :blush:

Decided to seriously do something about it. Today, was 18 stone 3lbs. So down 11lbs. Just another 73lbs to go then! :sick:

I think I realise what my problem is , its not what you weigh its the 'mind set' you have

My life style change (I lost a stone before christmas ) hasnt lasted and my weight is creeping back up.

Im going to pretend i once weighed 4 tons and hence at 15st 6lbs god ive lost a loads and loads of weight :yeah:

janey
24th-April-2006, 07:10 PM
Only 2 pounds left to go to my weight watchers target :clap:

But as a typical woman I still have a weight problem - before I lost weight I had nothing to wear as everything was too tight, now I've nothing to wear as everything is too loose!!!

Oh well - excellent excuse for a new dress for the BFG :D

TheTramp
1st-May-2006, 08:13 AM
Today, was 18 stone 3lbs. So down 11lbs. Just another 73lbs to go then! :sick:

This morning, 17 stone, 10lbs. Down another 7lbs this week. Feeling pretty happy :D

(Of course, 8 hours of teaching helped at the weekend - except for all the people who kept offering me cakes, chocolate and other such stuff. But I resisted. And cried!)

johnthehappyguy
1st-May-2006, 09:29 AM
This morning, 17 stone, 10lbs. Down another 7lbs this week. Feeling pretty happy :D

(Of course, 8 hours of teaching helped at the weekend - except for all the people who kept offering me cakes, chocolate and other such stuff. But I resisted. And cried!)

Well done Steve

johnthehappyguy
1st-May-2006, 09:32 AM
Weekly weigh-in

last week 12stone 9 1/2lbs

this week 12stone 5 1/2 lbs

So 4 lbs lost:nice:

Only 15 1/2 lbs to go to reach 11stone 4lbs

Aleks
1st-May-2006, 10:01 AM
excellent excuse for a new dress for the BFG :D
One for each night, of course!

Heather
1st-May-2006, 10:52 AM
Only 2 pounds left to go to my weight watchers target :clap:

But as a typical woman I still have a weight problem - before I lost weight I had nothing to wear as everything was too tight, now I've nothing to wear as everything is too loose!!!
:D

I have a similar problem!! I have only 3 pounds left to go to my Weightwatchers target.
None of my skirts and trousers fit me either, everything is hanging off me!
Still, I suppose it's an excuse to make myself a couple of new pairs!!
Unfortunately,most of my tops still fit me :sick: but that was the reason I had to lose weight in the first place.
Hopefully, when next I see my surgeon, I will have a date for my op!!!
:hug:
Heather

johnthehappyguy
8th-May-2006, 01:22 PM
Weekly weigh-in

last week 12stone 5 1/2lbs

this week 12stone 5 lbs

It has been a stressful week, as my house is finally on the market, and I tend to eat more when stressed. A 1/2lb loss is better than no loss at all.

Only 15 lbs to go to reach 11stone 4lbs

Aleks
8th-May-2006, 01:26 PM
:clap: Well done John!

TheTramp
8th-May-2006, 01:56 PM

This week, 17stone, 8lbs. Down another 2lbs this week.

Probably would have been 3lbs, if it wasn't for the curry yesterday. But it was nice! :D

Aleks
8th-May-2006, 02:01 PM
:clap: Fantastic Steve!
and
Hurrah for curry :drool:!

ducasi
8th-May-2006, 02:19 PM
Probably would have been 3lbs, if it wasn't for the curry yesterday. But it was nice! :DI bet it was that J2O. :wink:

TheTramp
15th-May-2006, 10:51 AM
This week, 17stone, 8lbs.

17stone 4lbs this morning. Down another 4lbs :D

Donna
16th-May-2006, 02:06 PM
I've lost a little bit from all the practicing I think!!! Now I'm eating Mars Bars everyday!!! :rofl:

dee
16th-May-2006, 02:48 PM
I've lost a little bit from all the practicing I think!!! Now I'm eating Mars Bars everyday!!! :rofl:

Did you they are selling 5 for a pound in Tesco's :drool:

Minnie M
16th-May-2006, 03:45 PM
This week, 17stone, 8lbs. Down another 2lbs this week.

Probably would have been 3lbs, if it wasn't for the curry yesterday. But it was nice! :D
:respect:

Donna
16th-May-2006, 03:49 PM
Did you they are selling 5 for a pound in Tesco's :drool:

Best pop over there then hadn't I?! :drool: I can never eat a whole one though! :sad: Too sickly. Someone I used to know was advised by a dietician that she should eat a mars bar every day because she loses weight easily. hmmm. (They're call believe now aren't they?

under par
16th-May-2006, 03:53 PM
Hello all, I replaced the battery in my scales yesterday.

After a prolonged period of non-dancing and rather too many take aways I stepped on the scales with more than a bit of trepidation.

Okay 18st 7 lbs is not so bad:sad:

I will be keeping you updated with progress...... it would be nice to get into those trousers again.

U.P.

fletch
16th-May-2006, 04:15 PM
Hello all, I replaced the battery in my scales yesterday.

After a prolonged period of non-dancing and rather too many take aways I stepped on the scales with more than a bit of trepidation.

I will be keeping you updated with progress...... it would be nice to get into those trousers again.

U.P.

U.P. I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble but,:what:

6ft 4" Lowest accepterble weight is 11st 10 lbs and the highest healthy weight is 14st 7lbs according to Slimming World:eek:

Only 4 st over and as I say to my members 1lb a week for a year is almost 4st
thats the way I did it :clap:

under par
16th-May-2006, 04:17 PM
U.P. I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble but,:what:

6ft 4" Lowest accepterble weight is 11st 10 lbs and the highest healthy weight is 14st 7lbs according to Slimming World:eek:

Only 4 st over and as I say to my members 1lb a week for a year is almost 4st
thats the way I did it :clap:

Thank god I 'm not 6'4":flower:

I have another 4 inches:innocent:

fletch
16th-May-2006, 04:24 PM
Thank god I 'm not 6'4":flower:

I have another 4 inches:innocent:

I take it you meen you are 6ft 8" :innocent:

OK, so thats

Lowest 13st highest 16st 4lbs easy just a good weekend at Southport should take care of that:na:

you also should have a 37" waist or below:really:

under par
16th-May-2006, 04:28 PM
I take it you meen you are 6ft 8" :innocent:

OK, so thats

Lowest 13st highest 16st 4lbs easy just a good weekend at Southport should take care of that:na:

you also should have a 37" waist or below:really:

Running with 40 " waist currently but I have loads of 38" trousers... you have set me my target Fletch thankyou:worthy:

Heather
16th-May-2006, 10:30 PM
Only 2 pounds to go to my target weight at Weightwatchers!!! I have now lost 21 pounds since January. I got my third 'silver 7' on Saturday ( you get a wee silver 7 sticker to put on your membership card).
Now I know what it's like for the kids in my class when they get a silver star on their star chart !:rofl:
I'm needing to either alter all my trousers or make some new ones before my holiday in Australia in the summer!
Hang on in there everyone losing weight and contributing to this thread!:respect:

Heather

Aleks
17th-May-2006, 10:07 AM

Fantastic!

Lost another 5lbs myself in the last week...total lost now 25!

TheTramp
17th-May-2006, 12:05 PM
Lost another 5lbs myself in the last week...total lost now 25!
And you looked fantastic on the weekend too! :flower:

johnthehappyguy
17th-May-2006, 01:29 PM
I weighed in on sunday morning, and had lost 1 3/4lbs.

when I did my official start the week weigh in on Monday - my weight was back up again.
so officially no weight loss this week:sad:

Aleks
17th-May-2006, 01:31 PM
so officially no weight loss this week:sad:

Must have been the cake at the tea dance....
(More likely, you built muscle with dancing so much this weekend that compensated for your loss)

Donna
17th-May-2006, 02:02 PM
Must have been the cake at the tea dance....
(More likely, you built muscle with dancing so much this weekend that compensated for your loss)

Yeah that's a thought.. if you are constantly working out, building muscle makes you heavier. No wonder I've lost a bit of weight then, I haven't worked out since blackpool... I'VE GOT TO GET BACK INTO IT!!! AS FROM.....TOOOOODAAAY! :mad: Hell, was my new years resolution and I'm breaking it already! (I should be so ashamed....)

janey
17th-May-2006, 09:16 PM

Congratulations! :D Definately could see the difference at the weekend - you looked great.

My weight loss has come to a grinding halt although I did treat myself to a fab pair of Seksi dance trousers - for weight loss inspiration of course :clap:

TheTramp
22nd-May-2006, 11:31 AM
17 stone 1lb this morning.

Just 3lbs this week. No more chocolate or crisps on the way home from parties for me! :what:

Aleks
22nd-May-2006, 11:40 AM

Just 3lbs this week. No more chocolate or crisps on the way home from parties for me! :what:

If you managed to lose 3lbs snacking on the way home, imagine what you can do this week if you abstain!
Well done!

TheTramp
22nd-May-2006, 11:43 AM
If you managed to lose 3lbs snacking on the way home, imagine what you can do this week if you abstain!

Only the once. I was soooooo hungry after the party on Saturday night :rolleyes:

fletch
22nd-May-2006, 02:04 PM
Only the once. I was soooooo hungry after the party on Saturday night :rolleyes:
If you prepare something before you go out, even if you don't fancy it on the way home and chuck it away, it will stop you eating rubbish, bananas are always good to put in the car for after:flower:

under par
23rd-May-2006, 02:19 AM

U.P.

After 3 solid nights dancing and a far more equittable eating regime (don't do diets!) over the last week I have lost 5 and half pounds.

Now 18st 1 and half lb:cheers:

fletch
23rd-May-2006, 08:36 AM
After 3 solid nights dancing and a far more equittable eating regime (don't do diets!) over the last week I have lost 5 and half pounds.

Now 18st 1 and half lb:cheers:
Fab, thats perfect, in you first week of (diet) cuting down whatever! you should loose between 4lb and 8lb :clap:

Well done :flower:

Its not easy:nice:

johnthehappyguy
24th-May-2006, 12:36 PM
weekly weigh in

the same as last week.
12stone 5lbs

15lbs to go to get to target weight.

Have got house sold,:clap: :clap: , so no more DIY for me ( unfortunately no DIY calorie burning either)

Will have to avoid cakefests at work, and the rest!

John:sad:

Aleks
24th-May-2006, 12:39 PM
Have got house sold,:clap: :clap:

Fantastic!
Does this mean we'll see you burning calories while dancing more often now?

johnthehappyguy
24th-May-2006, 03:52 PM
Fantastic!
Does this mean we'll see you burning calories while dancing more often now?

(Aleks, Was that an Aura joke too ? )

Yes, I hope to be dancing a lot more, certainly over the summer a lot as well!

johnthehappyguy
1st-June-2006, 12:40 PM
Weekly weigh -in

oh dear I have Put on1 1/2 lbs

Not enough calorie burning !

Now weighing 12 stone 6 1/2 lbs.

16 1/2lbs to get to target weight.

John:sad:

Heather
1st-June-2006, 12:49 PM
Only half a pound to go to reach my Weightwatchers target!!!!
Hope to be at Brechin on Friday to burn off a few calories before Saturday morning weigh in !!!:rofl:

Heather

johnthehappyguy
1st-June-2006, 12:54 PM
Only half a pound to go to reach my Weightwatchers target!!!!
Hope to be at Brechin on Friday to burn off a few calories before Saturday morning weigh in !!!:rofl:

Heather

Well done Heather,

You are looking great!:flower:

stewart38
1st-June-2006, 12:56 PM

I wonder why Ive gone back to crap food :sad:

I look feel so much better when ive lost the tyre around my waist :sad:

TheTramp
1st-June-2006, 12:58 PM

Oops. I forgot to post this on Monday....

16 stone, 13lbs.

Down 2lbs :D

CJ
1st-June-2006, 02:01 PM
I wonder why Ive gone back to crap food :sad:

I look feel so much better when ive lost the tyre around my waist :sad:

Be strong, Stewart.

But enjoy your efforts. Enjoy feeling better. Enjoy the sensation of your waist becoming smaller...

(well done, Trampy!!)

WittyBird
1st-June-2006, 03:07 PM
Just on the scales at Fletch's house and I've lost 4.5 lbs :clap:
Will weigh myself after SP as well

I was going to make loads of spelling mistakes on this post so Fletch can start blaming her PC :rofl:

Heather
1st-June-2006, 06:26 PM

I was going to make loads of spelling mistakes on this post so Fletch can start blaming her PC :rofl:

Heather

fletch
2nd-June-2006, 05:21 AM

You look FAB,:clap: don't they feed you in hospital:rofl:

I thought you were supposed to be ill,:confused: I have never seen you look so good,:yeah:

See photo's on the Southport thread:cheers:

We are going to have a wonderful weekend,:clap: you look radiant,:waycool: (do you think its anything to do with the x-ray's):rolleyes:

Heather
10th-June-2006, 06:58 PM
Just reporting that I finally reached my Weightwatchers Target today !!:clap: :clap:
That makes me a Gold member now !!

( Nothing like blowing your own trumpet , is there ?:rofl: :rofl: )

Heather
xx

TheTramp
10th-June-2006, 11:56 PM
According to Australian scales, I'm now 16 stone, 8lbs. Dunno if there's a discrepancy though. Will only be able to really correlate once I get back home.

But I'm happy anyhow :D

fletch
11th-June-2006, 02:00 AM
But I'm happy anyhow :D

You look FAB at Southport, you can really tell you have lost weight:respect:

WittyBird
21st-July-2006, 01:45 AM
I went to Ashtons on Wednesday night and kept looking over at a young lady thinking I know her ! Is it or isn't it!

Finally the young lady came over and said hello :really:

I was amazed, it was TiggsTours

I kept looking at her thinking no it can't be

She looked stunning, Lost the weight (not that she had a lot to lose), new hairdo, highlights etc. Not only did she have a big grin on her face, but she also had a glint in her eye that said ' I'm happy and I know I look good'

:worthy: Well done babe I am so proud of you :respect:

Dynamo
21st-July-2006, 02:50 AM
Please excuse me jumping on the back of your comments for TT, Bekka :flower: :kiss: :kiss:

But this just has to be said. :respect: :respect: :respect:

Dangerous, where have all those curves gone? :devil:

You look absolutely stunning, a perfect shape with a personality and heart as big as ever. :worthy:

Congratulations :respect: :respect: :respect:

I have danced with you for years now, and still had to look several times to be absolutely sure. Twas the smile that gave it away. :D

You may feel my comments a little exhuberant, but the result is beyond even my comments. :grin:

I must leave you to tell your story, but wow, well done :worthy: you have found a figure below that many ladies just dream off. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WittyBird
21st-July-2006, 02:58 AM
I must leave you to tell your story, but wow, well done :worthy: you have found a figure below that many ladies just dream off. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I completely agree :worthy: Di you look amazing and I said that to you the last time I saw you. You have done so well and from when I first met you at Bognor to when I last saw you at MH. You truly are astounding :worthy:

Well done to both DS & TT :respect:

It just goes to show that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it :clap:

TiggsTours
21st-July-2006, 09:34 AM
I went to Ashtons on Wednesday night and kept looking over at a young lady thinking I know her ! Is it or isn't it!

Finally the young lady came over and said hello :really:

I was amazed, it was TiggsTours

I kept looking at her thinking no it can't be

She looked stunning, Lost the weight (not that she had a lot to lose), new hairdo, highlights etc. Not only did she have a big grin on her face, but she also had a glint in her eye that said ' I'm happy and I know I look good'

:worthy: Well done babe I am so proud of you :respect:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you Becs! Wow! What can I say, just thank you!

I do feel fantastic, feeling good about yourself is just the best feeling in the world, better than any amount of chocolate!

And I have to add that you yourself were looking absolutely fabulous too! You have a real glow about you now, it really shows how huge a weight has been lifted from you now you've had your op, and it shines out of you! It was a real pleasure to see you. :D :flower:

Oh, and good luck in the new job too! :flower: :hug: :love:

TT. :kiss:

stewart38
21st-July-2006, 11:14 AM
Are a series of binging looking to go back to wok chicken and Pasta

I realise I even like rice :grin:

TiggsTours
21st-July-2006, 11:31 AM
Are a series of binging looking to go back to wok chicken and Pasta

I realise I even like rice :grin:
Its amazing, you actually find that your tastes really change, and quite quickly! There's loads of things now that I used to turn my nose up, that have become firm favourites! Beans, roasted tomatoes (still can't quite do raw), muller light yogurts (my new addiction, has replaced crisps!), fruit (mainly bananas, never used to like them at all, now they have almost replaced chocolate in my life!), herbal tea, porridge (used to hate it, now I can't start the day without it, even in this heat)!

Also, skimmed milk, years ago I used to have full-fat, then my mum switched us to semi-skimmed, I didn't like it, eventually I found full-fat too creamy, now I've switched to skimmed, and initially I didn't like it, now I even find semi-skimmed to creamy!

WittyBird
21st-July-2006, 03:13 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you Becs! Wow! What can I say, just thank you!

Your very welcome :respect:

I do feel fantastic, feeling good about yourself is just the best feeling in the world, better than any amount of chocolate!

Just proves it's a state of mind and if you put your mind to it you can achieve anything :flower:

:And I have to add that you yourself were looking absolutely fabulous too! You have a real glow about you now, it really shows how huge a weight has been lifted from you now you've had your op, and it shines out of you! It was a real pleasure to see you. :D :flower:

:blush: thank you I feel 100% better

:Oh, and good luck in the new job too! :flower: :hug: :love:

Cheers sweetie :clap:

DangerousCurves
21st-July-2006, 09:26 PM
Dangerous, where have all those curves gone? :devil:

...[plus a lot of lovely stuff!! :nice: ]

Thanks Dynamo and Witty! I had to get into training for the Race for Life... and it certainly had a few side benefits :wink:

Big hugs to all the lovely people who have given me such encouragement and kind words :hug: